Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I need some help. I'm looking for a documentary I saw years ago but forgot the name of, it's about offshore oil drilling and how the dwindling undersea oil fields make us employ ever more extreme measure to get at the oil. I believe a lot of it takes place off the coast of South America and the Brazilian oil company Petrobras is mentioned a few times.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I need some help. I'm looking for a documentary I saw years ago but forgot the name of, it's about offshore oil drilling and how the dwindling undersea oil fields make us employ ever more extreme measure to get at the oil. I believe a lot of it takes place off the coast of South America and the Brazilian oil company Petrobras is mentioned a few times.

Gasland?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Hmm nope, if I remember correctly they talked about oil drilling off the South American Atlantic coast. Gasland is about natural gas extraction in Pennsylvania, no?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The links and history of the United Kingdom and her Royal Navy are explored in depth in this small but facinating series called Empire of the Seas presented by Dan Snow.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

adamj1982 posted:

Anyone seen "Saleman" or "Grey Gardens"? They both sound interesting, although by just watching the 'trailer' for Grey Gardens, I'm kind of confused on what's it about. Seems touching though

Those are both among the best documentaries ever made, especially Salesman. Don't hesitate!

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.

WouldDesk posted:

Just Melvin, Just Evil

:stare: Holy poo poo. That was emotionally exhausting. The whole thing was disturbing but I found myself most unsettled when all of the women went to visit him in the nursing home, and most of them were all over him with hugs and kisses and "that's my daddy!", "I love you daddy!"

I'm super curious where all the people in this film are today, considering it was released 12 years ago. I couldn't find any updates online though. :(

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Budget Bears posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo. That was emotionally exhausting. The whole thing was disturbing but I found myself most unsettled when all of the women went to visit him in the nursing home, and most of them were all over him with hugs and kisses and "that's my daddy!", "I love you daddy!"

I'm super curious where all the people in this film are today, considering it was released 12 years ago. I couldn't find any updates online though. :(

I was curious as to why nobody had mentioned that yet. I expected them to walk in there and tell him how disgusting he is and how they are no longer going to be silent and let this cycle continue. I guess a small bit off that came out when they got drunk on beer at the middle-of-the-forest funeral . That made it extra creepy.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WouldDesk posted:

I was curious as to why nobody had mentioned that yet. I expected them to walk in there and tell him how disgusting he is and how they are no longer going to be silent and let this cycle continue. I guess a small bit off that came out when they got drunk on beer at the middle-of-the-forest funeral . That made it extra creepy.
I'm convinced that kind of attack on a dying perverted old fucker only happens in the movies. All of these women (and men) were scarred and damaged to the point that right and wrong aren't measured by the same methods most people use. Their dad was flawed, but in their minds, maybe not enough to make a scene in a hospital or on film. You could see them all draw inward as they went to see him - some of them gathering the courage just to walk up to him.

It would have been a greater film for that, but I admire the filmmaker for being unrelenting prior to that gathering.

Oh and ps holy gently caress what a goddamn movie. I'm going to go hug my kids and tell them I love them, but from a respectful distance.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

zekezero posted:

Just watched "Life with Murder." It's on netflix instant. It's about a family whose 18 year old daughter is brutally murdered in their home and the person convicted of her death... their twenty year old son.

It follows them ten years later as they visit him in prison and the truth slowly comes out.
Thanks for the recommendation. What a god drat creepy and sad movie.
Very interesting to see the mystery unravel on camera, but man I feel bad for the parents. It so clearly messed them up :(

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Any recommendations for documentaries on religious cults? The crazier, the better.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Hormones posted:

Any recommendations for documentaries on religious cults? The crazier, the better.

Fall From Grace and Jesus Camp would be a good start.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Fall From Grace and Jesus Camp would be a good start.

I believe Fall From Grace is on Netflix (Canada version) so I'll check that out. I've seen Jesus Camp a few times and it's super crazy. Thanks for the suggestions :)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hell House is nutso, as long as we're sticking with the theme of fundamentalist Christianity. Also watch Witness to Jonestown.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Hormones posted:

Theroux's "America's Most Hated Family" and the sequel "America's Most Hated Family in Crisis" are two good ones to watch.

Marjoe was made in the 70's and is about a former child preacher having a change of heart and allowing a doco crew to film him as he reveals how evangelists work.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hell House is nutso, as long as we're sticking with the theme of fundamentalist Christianity. Also watch Witness to Jonestown.

WebDog posted:

Theroux's "America's Most Hated Family" and the sequel "America's Most Hated Family in Crisis" are two good ones to watch.

Marjoe was made in the 70's and is about a former child preacher having a change of heart and allowing a doco crew to film him as he reveals how evangelists work.

Definitely good ones! I saw 'em a few years ago!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

WebDog posted:

I actually watched Marjoe because Netflix recommended it after I rented "The Last Exorcism." It's a little long but it's good.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

dj_clawson posted:

I actually watched Marjoe because Netflix recommended it after I rented "The Last Exorcism." It's a little long but it's good.

Marjoe was a great documentary, only made better by the final ~4 minutes. :3:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Marjoe Gortner also stars in CD favorite Star Crash.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

Hormones posted:

I would classify Scientology as a cult, so here's some documentaries I watched lately:

-BBC Panorama: The Secrets of Scientology (doesn't have that many infos, but it's great at showing their psycho tactics used)

-BBC Panorama: The Secrets of Scientology Exposed (the second part, which explains the psycho tatics used on the reporter in part one)

-Scientology the EX-Files (interviews with ex-scientologist, it really shows the crazy stuff going on)

-Scientology: Inside the Cult (an older documentary with a reporter going undercover)

-Scientology Undercover in Berlin (a part of a German show, again a reporter goes undercover. It's subtitled on Youtube)

-The Secret Life of L.Ron Hubbard (great documentary about the founder of Scientology, which shows that Scientology is just a scam to get money and power)

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
I have to recommend The Elephant in the Living Room, which is about the growing trend of exotic/dangerous pet ownership in America. At one point they go undercover at an exotic reptile fair, and find Gaboon Vipers, Nile Crocodiles and other super dangerous animals for sale to the general public.

It does get a little hard to watch, but it's worth it. It's on Netflix instant, so give it a try!

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I checked out Side By Side on Vudu last night and found it fascinating, but you have to be a pretty hardcore film buff to get alot out of it, I feel. Also, the way David Lynch says the name "Keanu" is strangely hypnotising.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm watching the Phil Ochs: There but for Fortune documentary and it is really good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Ochs:_There_but_for_Fortune

Phil Ochs was a protest folk singer in the 60s, a contemporary of Bob Dylan with the difference being that Ochs really believed a 100% in the political side of the protest side of the songs compared to Dylan who left the folk scene behind fairly easy.

It is available on the PBS web site: http://video.pbs.org/video/2189501770 although it may be edited compared to the theatrical version.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Hi guys, just trying to help update the OP.

On page 1, there's a link to my documentary film, "The Sundowner." I took it off Youtube, because I had to cut it into two segments, and the overall quality wasn't very good.

Here's a link to the high-quality version of the film on Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/14144353

If that link doesn't work for whatever reason, here's a backup Public mirror on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppmqh2vo5ll36n6/sundowner_final_cut_matrox_h264_high.mov

A brief synopsis of the film:
"An engineer becomes a man of the sea on his handcrafted fifty-three foot sailboat, with the incredible ambition to sail around the world."

"The Sundowner" on IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1537327/

SamLikesCake posted:

I have to recommend The Elephant in the Living Room, which is about the growing trend of exotic/dangerous pet ownership in America. At one point they go undercover at an exotic reptile fair, and find Gaboon Vipers, Nile Crocodiles and other super dangerous animals for sale to the general public.

It does get a little hard to watch, but it's worth it. It's on Netflix instant, so give it a try!

Very glad to see this on Netflix. I agree with you, their doc is definitely worth a watch. I was fortunate enough to screen my documentary with these guys! They were awesome filmmakers.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.

SamLikesCake posted:

Seconding this, this is a super interesting documentary. I threw it on one night as background noise and wound up unable to look away. If you love animals it's pretty difficult to watch, but at the same time it's an important issue to be aware of.

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006
I just finished Ken Burns the civil war from 1990. As an European that dont know a lot about that war I was a little sceptical about starting the series, but it is absolutely magnificent and everybody that have a small interest in either American or military history should check it out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bob the terrible posted:

I just finished Ken Burns the civil war from 1990. As an European that dont know a lot about that war I was a little sceptical about starting the series, but it is absolutely magnificent and everybody that have a small interest in either American or military history should check it out.

Agreed, the civil war is up there as one of my most favorite documentaries ever.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Are there any good documentaries about the end of the Roman Republic?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The Typewriter, the Rifle, & the Movie Camera, a documentary about Sam Fuller, a reporter, veteran of the 1st Infantry Division in WWII, and the director of many films, including The Big Red One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z15DbWG82Ps

You have to watch this if you have any interest in film or just an OG American Bad-rear end.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Popelmon posted:

Are there any good documentaries about the end of the Roman Republic?

Not a documentary, but if you are looking for something about the fall of the Roman Republic, there is a podcast called "Hardcore History" by Dan Carlin, and he did a VERY in-depth 6 part series about that subject, called "Death Throes of the Republic" that you'd enjoy if you haven't already heard it.

Highly recommended.

Dan Carlin also recently did three about Ghengis Khan which was great as well.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Any recommendations for docs about cryptozoology? Big foot, Nessie, Yetis, etc?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Tumble posted:

Not a documentary, but if you are looking for something about the fall of the Roman Republic, there is a podcast called "Hardcore History" by Dan Carlin, and he did a VERY in-depth 6 part series about that subject, called "Death Throes of the Republic" that you'd enjoy if you haven't already heard it.

Highly recommended.

I cannot quote and emphasize this enough. Being a doc fan, I have to sate my thirst somehow while I'm on the road (which is often) and podcasts are a great way to do it. Nothing beats Hardcore History (TAL is great too) and Carlin is so drat passionate about it. The Ghengis Khan/Mongolian Empire stuff he just put out had me floored; loving history is so :rock:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Tumble posted:

Highly recommended.

Haha, I just listened to that and I absolutely loved it, that's why I asked for some documentaries.

But agreed. That podcast is great.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Tumble posted:

Highly recommended.

Only listened to the first two parts of this but so far this owns bones, recommend everybody who likes history to check this out.

Xipe
Jul 30, 2005
protoAmerican
Lightning Hopkins - The Blues according to Lightnin'
A film showing Life & the Blues in Rural Texas in 1967. Featuring Lightning Hopkins, Billy Bizor ,Mance Lipscome, Ruth 'Blues' Ames & the People of Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_oA6XUF31Q

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Is it Crude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjMJBBYTNSs

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Last Days Here - just caught this on Netflix.

In this poignant documentary portrait, an aged and gaunt Bobby Liebling, the former lead singer of the heavy metal act Pentagram, rallies to restart his life after decades of disappointment and drug addiction.

So sure, it's the last days of a rock n roll has been who's done too many drugs and we get to watch him as he O.D.s, while talking about how he should have been hailed as the next Ozzy.

I loved it. I kept waiting for him to die. I hate to say it, but, with the title of the movie and the steady footage of him smoking crack, it seemed pretty obvious that it was going to happen at any moment in the film, and the rest of the movie would be other metal has-beens talking about how Bobby changed their life.

But alas! Without giving away too much of the story - it was a great story about him, as well as the kid who spent 2 years trying to pull him out of addiction and get him back on stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbwweCoOc4

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Fellblade posted:

Only listened to the first two parts of this but so far this owns bones, recommend everybody who likes history to check this out.

Soon, you too will open the podcast app saying 'come on dan... come on man...' on your way to work...

And another day without a new show. :smith:

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Does anyone know of any docs that show addiction recovery from inside a rehab or similar facility? I'm looking for something like Thin except about drug/alcohol recovery rather than eating disorders.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

An Cat Dubh posted:

Does anyone know of any docs that show addiction recovery from inside a rehab or similar facility? I'm looking for something like Thin except about drug/alcohol recovery rather than eating disorders.

Not what you ask for but Hairkutt is worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cannot recommend "Under fire: journalist in combat" enough. Great flick consisting mostly of interviews, it does touch on PTSD and its effects on the loves of those who suffer from it.

Below is an excerpt from a netflicks review.

This doc concerns photojournalists who quite openly discuss their mental anguish when coping with their experiences in war-torn regions (Bosnia, Angola, Israel, etc). It shows many war photos and clips, but mostly focuses on various journalists discussing their experiences of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). They also attempt to explain what drew them into such high-risk and dangerous situations (from wanting to enlighten the public to seeking adrenaline highs). Many state that they, themselves, felt broken beforehand.