Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If anything it's worth making fun of the fact that in three decades there has been one serious wrestling journalist, and he splits his time between that and MMA.

Whoa hey now, Bryan Alvarez exists too. He has cats ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If anything it's worth making fun of the fact that in three decades there has been one serious wrestling journalist, and he splits his time between that and MMA.

Oh, come now.

It's more like seven decades.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yuriy posted:

You waddled in here acting like a smug prick and making lovely posts while being actively proud of yourself for not knowing who Dave Meltzer is and being too loving stupid to use google

I asked a question got a dumb picture and a semi decent respose what else am I to think? The only thing anybody has said is that "he's the oldest" that really doesn't cut it for me. But whatever it fits in with the werid rear end wrestling traditions. This is the only place i've seen people talk about the guy like he's some kind of god.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Meltzer is very reliable on news and most of bogus stories are either falsely attributed or very poor summaries of what he wrote. Plus when he gets poo poo wrong he's genuinely contrite about it. Nobody knows more about ratings, buys, or business trends.

His reviews are only one man's opinion but since there's a 25+ year archive, he is the critic of record. They're mostly useful for "Cena has more 5 star matches than ___" jokes.

tl;dr
Believe his news. Use his reviews to prove Johnny Ace was as good as Bret Hart.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

RBX posted:

This is the only place i've seen people talk about the guy like he's some kind of god.

Well, that's, y'know, the mentality I guess.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wrestling doesn't have fake journalists, guys. They're scripted.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
He's a Ric Flair superfan who never knew when to quit.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

RBX posted:

I asked a question got a dumb picture and a semi decent respose what else am I to think? The only thing anybody has said is that "he's the oldest" that really doesn't cut it for me. But whatever it fits in with the werid rear end wrestling traditions. This is the only place i've seen people talk about the guy like he's some kind of god.

In a nutshell Meltzer is a reliable and knowledgeable source of pro wrestling news. Moose posted the picture because Meltzer has been doing this/known for this forever so it's pretty old news, plus anytime someone asks about Meltzer's creds it tends to derail into long-winded conversations then end up at "you can trust Meltzer more often than not" (which is what is currently happening).

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Dave Meltzer has seen more professional wrestling than anybody in the history of the business.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

He's a puro superfan who never knew when to quit.

This works too; there was a point where Dave's puro bias got kind of ridiculous where star ratings were concerned. Other than that he's cool, even if listening to him try and talk to people is painful sometimes.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

CombineThresher posted:

This works too; there was a point where Dave's puro bias got kind of ridiculous where star ratings were concerned. Other than that he's cool, even if listening to him try and talk to people is painful sometimes.

It's not his fault that All Japan was really loving good.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

dsriggs posted:

Dave Meltzer has seen more professional wrestling than anybody in the history of the business.

Sometimes I forget this, but then he drops some crazy obscure knowledge that leaves me stunned. I wish I could think of an example, the guy is an encyclopedia.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

The issue with that is the matches tend to hold up. Maybe some of them didn't deserve the full four stars plus but a lot of the matches still rank as the best singles and tag matches ever. It was also an All Japan bias since New Japan was only getting the same level of love in the juniors.

The only time I think his ratings should be treated as a grain of salt (in terms of Meltzer rating. It's one mans opinion much like Roger Ebert so it isn't like it's bible) is late 80s Flair and a lot of his star ratings between 2005 and 2009 since it seemed like he was being lenient on a lot of matches to drum up interest in wrestling. If anything, Dave was at his most honest in the 90s and as the great All Japan work disappeared, he had to lower his standards in putting over WWE and North American indie matches.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

RBX posted:

This is the only place i've seen people talk about the guy like he's some kind of god.

Nobody here looks at him as a god in fact I'd say over half the forum can't stand him despite never actually reading a word of his newsletter or hearing his voice.

I myself just get very irritated by conversations about his star ratings annoying people though. Also the constant "DAVE MELTZER IS LYING AND MAKING EVERYTHING UP" when it pertains to professional wrestling. So that's why people ranting and raving about him here doesn't happen very often.

His star ratings are his opinions that many people put a lot of stock into. Some get annoyed when he doesn't have the same opinion as themselves. The guy has also had way way way too many people involved in the business confirm his stories that the "HE MAKES EVERYTHING UP" argument is just dumb.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 29, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Dave Meltzer: good friends with Ric Flair, Bret Hart, The Rock, Steve Austin, many more, bestest friends with Jim Cornette, was offered a job from Vince McMahon even though Vince hates him, scares me with the amount of obscure info he knows, was once held hostage at a Japanese wrestling show.

He is also kind of strange but less than people seem to think, especially given his profession.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Sometimes I forget this, but then he drops some crazy obscure knowledge that leaves me stunned. I wish I could think of an example, the guy is an encyclopedia.

Basically this happens whenever he has to write an obituary.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

His Obituaries and HOF Write ups are always amazing reads. I've never seen an Observer Yearbook though - have wanted to read one of those for years.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

HulkaMatt posted:

His Obituaries and HOF Write ups are always amazing reads. I've never seen an Observer Yearbook though - have wanted to read one of those for years.

If you don't have either or both of his Tributes book you really need to get it. Everyone does.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Dave Meltzer has an awesome mullet. His hair owns.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I really like his David Flair Style video. I watch it almost every day.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

triplexpac posted:

I was listening to an older Observer Radio where Dave got asked about Jimmy Snuka's accusations of murder from the 80s. Dave was popping out names, dates and details like it happened last week. That's the best example I can think of.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yea I wasn't clueless about who he was just wanted to know why he was so respected. Thanks for the answers.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Aren't the star ratings also kinda on a "per year" basis, so say a four star match in 2007 WWE isn't neccesarily just as good as a four star match in NWA 89 or 93 All Japan but it just means that relative to the rest of the output that year it is four stars.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MrBling posted:

Aren't the star ratings also kinda on a "per year" basis, so say a four star match in 2007 WWE isn't neccesarily just as good as a four star match in NWA 89 or 93 All Japan but it just means that relative to the rest of the output that year it is four stars.

Yeah, that's the reason he uses to justify how two matches might have the same rating, yet one would be better than the other. The scale kinda resets over a year.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MrBling posted:

I think Dave has said that his star ratings are for that match at the time he watched it. So yeah, I think he does rate somewhat on a curve, and he doesn't necessarily mean a match he thought was 5 stars in 1995 would hold up forever.

I don't know why people would expect that from his ratings, anyway.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I think Dave has said that his star ratings are for that match at the time he watched it. So yeah, I think he does rate somewhat on a curve, and he doesn't necessarily mean a match he thought was 5 stars in 1995 would hold up forever.

Because wrestling fans either hold him in high esteem or the lack of good journalists means he is all they have for a barometer for if something was a great match or not. So the scrutiny level by people is high, especially wrestling fans who don't really get the system.

Plus people on the Internet tend to be stupid when it comes to understanding any ratings system. The only fair complaint is to bitch about IGN ratings since they are usually terrible.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

triplexpac posted:

Because for the most part people are confronted with a big list of star ratings all at once and with no context at all. That's my theory at least.

If you see this http://starratingslist.blogspot.com/2009/09/wcw-star-ratings-list-1986-2001.html then you don't really have any to know that the 80s matches are probably better than the 90s/00s ones.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I think I asked this once, ages ago, but what the heck, I'm bored so I'll try it again. If it's actually something people want to take part in, maybe it's worth it's own thread.

Does anyone out there have any interesting wrestling memorabilia, collector's items, stuff like that? Or even just older merchandise.

My prized one is my WWF winged eagle replica belt signed by Bret Hart & Ric Flair, but I have a bunch of other small stuff like action figures & photos.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I have a Cactus Jack shirt signed by the man himself. That's about it.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The Batiri mailed me a piece of the rope they used to tie up Sara Del Rey at a Chikara show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have one of Chuck Taylor's grenades; I keep it here on my office desk.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I think I asked this once, ages ago, but what the heck, I'm bored so I'll try it again. If it's actually something people want to take part in, maybe it's worth it's own thread.

Does anyone out there have any interesting wrestling memorabilia, collector's items, stuff like that? Or even just older merchandise.

My prized one is my WWF winged eagle replica belt signed by Bret Hart & Ric Flair, but I have a bunch of other small stuff like action figures & photos.

Somewhere in my mom's house is my old WWF fanny pack that looks like the winged-eagle title belt. I wish I knew where it was because these Zubaz aren't going to hold themselves up.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
My best friend has Earthquake's signature. He actually signed "Earthquake" and not "John Tenta" lol

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My cousin has the coolest piece of memorabilia I've seen; an original program/flyer from the 1997 Survivor Series event, signed by both Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. :aaa:

He got the Bret signature years after Shawn's, and Bret made a point of writing his own name in much larger text. :laugh:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Somewhere in my mom's house is my old WWF fanny pack that looks like the winged-eagle title belt. I wish I knew where it was because these Zubaz aren't going to hold themselves up.

It's all pointless unless you have the Ribera jacket and mullet.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
That's really awesome.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My sister has a DX shirt signed by Hunter and Shawn, and Flair's book which Flair personally signed.

The most merch I have is a WWE trivia book signed by Al Snow.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Bocc Kob posted:

The Batiri mailed me a piece of the rope they used to tie up Sara Del Rey at a Chikara show.

I would like to think that you didn't even ask for them to mail it, it just showed up one day on your door step with a note.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I have a signed picture of Booker T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Great White Hope posted:

I have a signed picture of Booker T.

Booker T has a signed picture. Not one he wanted though.