Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

I was just wondering if you had any tips for a new RB? Basically, I'm too unsure when to go in for a challenge when someone is coming down on the wing. If there is another unmarked man behind me, I don't want to just run in blindly and make huge open space where I just came from. But usually our keeper just shouted at me to run into a challenge, and I just usually followed his cues for what to do. I guess that sort of communication is how things go down?

If your goalie is good listen to him - he'll see if there are other defenders who can fill the vacuum you leave when you commit to a mark.

When I play LB my first effort is to guide the attacker towards the wings - in general I'd say first reduce the threat rather than attempt to defeat it and lose.

If your line is evenly spread along the back, and you let a player past, you're going to create a lot of chaos. It's better to take that risk that once the attacker is up against the line, that way they have fewer options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
For those of you in co-rec teams, how often do you practice and what are the practice formats? Do you guys just scrimmage?

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

:smug: edinbro rugby :smug:

TyChan posted:

For those of you in co-rec teams, how often do you practice and what are the practice formats? Do you guys just scrimmage?

Once a week and just scrimmaging, it seems if we try to do any kind of serious practice, no one wants to show up. Same with my rugby side, we normally just play touch and scrimmage.

However, I like to get together with a few teammates and do shot practices or passing drills, etc, every few days on my own.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the tips, guys. Had another game today, and we were really loving outclassed. We lost something fierce. We were using lots of new players that have never played before, and that was sort of putting us off abit, but the opposition was just really loving good. They were playing 1-2s perfectly, their crosses and headers were amazing. We shouldn't really play in the same "league", but whatever, it's not a league. :)

What I'm missing to be honest, is just practice. We have had absolutely none from the start, and I'm new so I obviously want some experience just trying different things without it being in a match. I tried my best today but obviously made some bad decision in marking that lead to a goal. Lots of angry teammates, and I got singled out as an example of bad defending. That sucked pretty bad, but I want to learn, so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. But I feel that, without practicing anything (in a practice situation with teammates) I can't progress, but hey, it's just the 2nd match.

But, uh, angry teammates are kind of uncomfortable, I guess. Don't want to make anyone angry, it just sucks the fun out so fast. I guess I just have to harden the gently caress up?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
If you suck but want to play, then yes you have to harden the gently caress up. They are dicks, and it's irrational for them to be upset, because you are amateurs and nothing is at stake. But that's just how it is. People are proud and emotional idiots.

Telling you how to play fullback with text on a message board is pretty hard.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Mistakes happen, just apologise and move on. The way I see it, if someone is trying to do the right thing and gets it wrong, e.g. tries to clear it and slices the ball to an opponent, there's not going to be any point criticizing them because they already know what went wrong and there's not a lot else they could do about it. Technique and fitness aren't something you can change in the middle of a game, and a player who slices the ball is probably more in need of encouragement than anything else.

If people make bad decisions though, like a fullback trying to dribble past an opponent, or a lazy midfielder not tracking his man, then you have to do something about it because those can be fixed on the pitch and that kind of stuff is exactly the kind of match experience that turns people into good footballers. Hopefully your teammates don't take it too far of course.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys. Had another game today, and we were really loving outclassed. We lost something fierce. We were using lots of new players that have never played before, and that was sort of putting us off abit, but the opposition was just really loving good. They were playing 1-2s perfectly, their crosses and headers were amazing. We shouldn't really play in the same "league", but whatever, it's not a league. :)

What I'm missing to be honest, is just practice. We have had absolutely none from the start, and I'm new so I obviously want some experience just trying different things without it being in a match. I tried my best today but obviously made some bad decision in marking that lead to a goal. Lots of angry teammates, and I got singled out as an example of bad defending. That sucked pretty bad, but I want to learn, so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. But I feel that, without practicing anything (in a practice situation with teammates) I can't progress, but hey, it's just the 2nd match.

But, uh, angry teammates are kind of uncomfortable, I guess. Don't want to make anyone angry, it just sucks the fun out so fast. I guess I just have to harden the gently caress up?

How do you know all your teammates? When I've been on co-rec team, I've been with friends so we might shout at each other a little bit, but it never lingered.

My most recent team, everyone was so friendly that I could just write out these horrifically nerdy (but simplified) tactics e-mails and they at least said they appreciated it. I'd try to find ways of telling midfielders as a whole to track back and every time I made a suggestion, I also pointed out something good that they did too.

Maybe this is all too lovey-dovey for your situation, though.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the input, guys, awesome stuff.

Mostly they're fellow students that I see everyday. I'm basically looking for a good (safe) pass to create some room. I don't have that bad control compared to the others, either, but I guess because I left some guy unmarked who was in my "zone" (I was basically just marking the fastest player on their team at the moment), when I probably should have marked the other one.

We do have some teammembers who get really angry when things aren't going our way (which is pretty much all the time since we aren't a good team), and we don't exactly get good vibes from that. But I try to just ignore it and keep playing. Others are sure to feel the same way, not just me.

But I still want to learn, so I'll just hang in there. Took the initiative to arrange time and date for a practice/scrimmage game, so if we could get into the habit of just playing against eachother that'll probably makes us better than just being angry because at times, nobody knows even what position they're playing. (Reason for that is that we had lots of new players, and did very many subs)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Last few weeks have been a transformation for me, finally, after about 9 months of consistent playing with no prior experience. Defense is doing well, am finally confident enough on the ball to actually want my teammates to pass it to me in the middle of the field, and it turns out I'm a natural at being in position to poach (although my actual finishing and shooting are utter poo poo). Has still resulted in almost a goal a game in the past few weeks, in any case.

Left back seems to be my most comfortable position. Go ahead, laugh at my expense.

More and more sprinting and hard turns though are taking a toll on my feet. My big toes and balls of both feet are getting roughed up more and more each game. I saw someone else mention that and people mentioned wearing a liner sock. Is that a specialized sock of sorts, or is it just a smaller (and also synthetic) sock that doesn't come up as far as the main one? I've had a little luck with wrapping the big toes in athletic tape, but it doesn't hold very well on the ball of the foot.

Being 5'7 and 165lb is making it more and more obvious the longer I spend in the penalty area how loving worthless I am in the air and in receiving corners. I have a fairly good curve when I do take the corners, but when I don't, should I be trying to deflect in a low cross off the near post, or just gently caress it and wait past the far post for a deflection or an overshot corner?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Last few weeks have been a transformation for me, finally, after about 9 months of consistent playing with no prior experience. Defense is doing well, am finally confident enough on the ball to actually want my teammates to pass it to me in the middle of the field, and it turns out I'm a natural at being in position to poach (although my actual finishing and shooting are utter poo poo). Has still resulted in almost a goal a game in the past few weeks, in any case.

Left back seems to be my most comfortable position. Go ahead, laugh at my expense.

More and more sprinting and hard turns though are taking a toll on my feet. My big toes and balls of both feet are getting roughed up more and more each game. I saw someone else mention that and people mentioned wearing a liner sock. Is that a specialized sock of sorts, or is it just a smaller (and also synthetic) sock that doesn't come up as far as the main one? I've had a little luck with wrapping the big toes in athletic tape, but it doesn't hold very well on the ball of the foot.

Being 5'7 and 165lb is making it more and more obvious the longer I spend in the penalty area how loving worthless I am in the air and in receiving corners. I have a fairly good curve when I do take the corners, but when I don't, should I be trying to deflect in a low cross off the near post, or just gently caress it and wait past the far post for a deflection or an overshot corner?

What do you mean by roughed up? Like blisters and scrapes or callouses? If it's callouses learn to embrace those things, they're never gonna go away, and if you're playing a lot they'll be around forever. The worst thing for me was when I went on vacation and did a lot of running on the beach barefoot and my callouses wore off. That was a painful few weeks playing while trying to reform them.

If you're a 5'7" left back you probably shouldn't be in the box at all. If the corner is from the left, you should be in the channel waiting for a ball to be knocked back to you so you can swing in a cross from a different angle. If it's from the right you should be near the top corner of the box waiting for any garbage to pop up. Alternatively you should be hanging back by the midfield line to try and stop any type of counter. There's really no reason for you to be in the box at all when the corner is initially taken.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I'm 5'8", I scored my first ever header (and in all likelihood my last) on Sunday by going up for a corner and making a run from the back to the near post that wasn't tracked, I didn't even have to jump. Had the defence been even remotely competent the ball wouldn't have come anywhere near me and the keeper would have wiped me out anyway. If you're smaller than me, and a left back, you should probably staying back to defend against counters when your team has a corner.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Shrapnac posted:

What do you mean by roughed up? Like blisters and scrapes or callouses? If it's callouses learn to embrace those things, they're never gonna go away, and if you're playing a lot they'll be around forever. The worst thing for me was when I went on vacation and did a lot of running on the beach barefoot and my callouses wore off. That was a painful few weeks playing while trying to reform them.

Big toes - perfectly round white blisters a half-inch across with no protection, but pretty much unaffected if I wrap them in athletic tape

Balls of my feet - Painful callouses with no protection, even more painful and oozing callouses with moleskin, and painful oozing skin (seems to stop the callousing action) with athletic tape. If it's even a callous, it looks like it's partially ripped (which would explain the oozing).

Would that be something a sock liner would help with? And what exactly is a sock liner - just a plain synthetic sock, or something specialized?

quote:

Get the gently caress out of the box, you midget.

Thanks. I figured as such. Funny enough, I've scored two headers this season, but both were poaches on high deflections.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

Big toes - perfectly round white blisters a half-inch across with no protection, but pretty much unaffected if I wrap them in athletic tape

Balls of my feet - Painful callouses with no protection, even more painful and oozing callouses with moleskin, and painful oozing skin (seems to stop the callousing action) with athletic tape. If it's even a callous, it looks like it's partially ripped (which would explain the oozing).

Would that be something a sock liner would help with? And what exactly is a sock liner - just a plain synthetic sock, or something specialized?

There are specialized "sock liners" for a variety of sports and uses, and you'll pay a fair amount for them all I imagine, but I just wear no-show ankle socks under my kit socks. Just make sure they're synthetic, as cotton will just give you more blisters. Make sure they're a snug fit so they don't bunch up on you (I've only had that happen once, though). I also use a Band Aid friction block when I'm breaking in a new pair of boots.

That being said, IMO getting blisters really came down to the boots I wore, and my conclusion there was basically the cheaper the pair the worse off my feet were. There was much less blistering once I stared wearing Copas instead of $30 specials, and even less than that when I started wearing AdiPures (III's and IV's, and now AdiPro 11).

As for your positioning: You and I are the same size (sup, midget buddy), and when I started playing again a few years ago after a 20+ year break, I started out at left back too. Like the others said, you want to stay back to protect against counters. Yes, there may be times when you have the space to cheat up a little and are able to put the ball back into the box, but don't count on that, because the first time you're not back and your opponents score on a counter your teammates will hate you.

Anyhoo, now I play l/r winger and forward, and because of my size, for corners I always lurk around the top of the box on the opposite side (if I'm not taking them). At my level of play goals from corners are rare, most of the time it just gets knocked around the box until someone controls it and takes a shot or clears it. But a lot of headers and goalie punches deflect to that opposite corner, and being this short no one ever thinks to mark me, so it's a good place to be.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Lazlow posted:

That being said, IMO getting blisters really came down to the boots I wore, and my conclusion there was basically the cheaper the pair the worse off my feet were. There was much less blistering once I stared wearing Copas instead of $30 specials, and even less than that when I started wearing AdiPures (III's and IV's, and now AdiPro 11).

They definitely weren't $30 specials, but they're Diadoras that cost around $70. I like that the laces for Diadoras are meant to wrap under the boots once, since I have a high arch and that makes it feel like I have more arch support. It was hard enough to justify $70 when I had never played a game in my life, but I definitely will splurge on my next pair.

Thanks for the advice on the corners again. We play in a 30+ 7v7 league on a 40x60yd pitch, so a lot of tactics tend to go out the window. I'll probably end up just lurking around the top of the box opposite of whichever side the corner is coming from.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Argh! So frustrated! Our team just got bundled out of the finals after two losses in penalties in a row. Minor premiers to missing the grand final :suicide:. I played in goal for the first time this year (played in goals since under fives but not this season) for both and had blinders, not letting any goals in, but our strikers had booked overseas trips last year and missed both games. Even saved three penalties between both shoot outs and we still lost. :'(

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Man! First season and my coach wants me at Center Back. The defenders with me do their own loving thing. One drops the line back at the least bit of aggression and the other plays like he's mid.

First regulation game is in Italy and I can't make it :ohdear:

I love playing D. I have stopped panicking and just boot the ball. I don't poke at the ball as much and just get in the way and push them outside.

Got my first assist yesterday too! We smashed them 7-0 until they insisted we mixed teams.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
I recently started up a team with a few friends of mine, some of us have played competitively and some have not. In any case, it's the first time I'm trying my hand at being a player and a sort of pseudo coach so what are some basic sweeper/defensive tips I should be hitting on? I'm doing my best but I really don't know for what it's worth. :downs:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I played 5 a side last night. We had to call the game off half way through because the ball wasn't moving through the torrential down pour that started.

It was weird to see puddles forming on astro turf because it wasn't that nice 3g stuff but just the sandy carpet type of astro turf.

Personally I was enjoying it and would like to have continued but alas...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

FoxxorTheRed posted:

I recently started up a team with a few friends of mine, some of us have played competitively and some have not. In any case, it's the first time I'm trying my hand at being a player and a sort of pseudo coach so what are some basic sweeper/defensive tips I should be hitting on? I'm doing my best but I really don't know for what it's worth. :downs:
make sure your defenders listen the the sweeper. I got put in the sweeper position and 1 defender wants to be a forward and the other breaks the line to drop back if someone challenges him in the slightest. Our line breaks, they don't listen to me shouting.

A non communicative defense is hard. I have been talking with my coach and he agrees. Everyone wants to score. I just want to put my belly on people.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Soulex posted:

make sure your defenders listen the the sweeper. I got put in the sweeper position and 1 defender wants to be a forward and the other breaks the line to drop back if someone challenges him in the slightest. Our line breaks, they don't listen to me shouting.

A non communicative defense is hard. I have been talking with my coach and he agrees. Everyone wants to score. I just want to put my belly on people.

This is partly something you should address before the match even starts. Let everyone know which center back is in charge of calling the trap, how high a line you plan to play, and what specific language you'll be using. People who have never played before may have no idea what they're supposed to do when someone starts yelling "18! 18!"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I don't know what that means :smith:

Generally I shout to get on line and what side to watch. But it always seems like tic tac toe.

I just hate how we have a broken line ALL THE TIME. One drops back at the least sign of pressure. The other dribbles too much and wants to score.

God I hate community teams sometimes.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Well, that was an example of why everyone needs to know the terms your specific team is using. I didn't get it either until I realized that the person yelling it (in this case, our keeper) wanted the back line to all push up to the top of the box immediately following a clearance in order to trap their strikers or force them to track back.

There's not much you can do if the fullbacks ignore you, but if you explain to them before the game or at half-time why the back line needs to keep its shape--and how an offside trap works--that might help. A lot of people are slow and out of shape in rec league, so I can understand that somebody would be scared to try an offside trap because once the striker gets past him, he might never catch up.

Also, maybe the midfielder playing in front of your chronic dribbler is a more reasonable player and you can convince him to drop back and cover whenever that fullback makes a run.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

So, since I can't strike for poo poo, I tried to curl a free kick from 25 yards out to someone standing by the far post (I can actually curl fairly well, just can't blast it), and instead hit a slightly-dropping 25-yard screamer directly into the top of the near corner of the net, untouched. :iiam: I wish I knew how to repeat that.

Also got a pair of $5 synthetic liners that I tried out last night. Did wonders for my feet, and doubled as a great replacement for my shinguard sleeves. Thanks goons!

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
Excellent points. Many thanks. We've our first match this weekend so who knows how that'll go but it should be a fun time regardless.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Its been a while since I've posted here but after the summer break I've just upped myself to 3 games a week, full game Sundays, 5 a side Monday and 7's on Wednesday. I haven't played this much since I was a teenager. I have however just given up smoking and by god what a difference.

Incidentally, bought some new shin pads a couple of months ago, had a closer look when I got in tonight, and Christ alive am I glad I wear them, does everyone else have such angry looking scars down theirs?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Oh, a nice thread bump. I've gotten into coaching since this the last time I posted in here. It's been more enjoyable than I expected. Coaching U15 boys right now. Their last 2 seasons they hadn't won a game. This season they won their last game 11-3 and made it to the State Cup tournament.

And my Adult league team is 7-1-1 with one game left. Win or Tie and we win the division.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Incidentally, bought some new shin pads a couple of months ago, had a closer look when I got in tonight, and Christ alive am I glad I wear them, does everyone else have such angry looking scars down theirs?

I just run my hands up and and down my shin bones and feel all the knobby bits and remember just how effective shin guards are(they're not). Mine are also about 5 inches long and maybe half an inch thick though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

How do you play with dirty players? I am constantly getting shoved and pulled and the red never calls it.

I did get one guy back for shoving my teammate after the whistle blew (and my friend jumped up and shoved him away because he thought a fight was gonna break out) and my team pulled a red card. Soooo a few minutes later he was attacking and I slide tackled him legally. He scraped his knee and tried me again. I kept closing him out and he eventually switched positions because he couldn't handle someone getting physical back.

Play for fun. But I don't tolerate fight starting at all. There is no place for it on the field.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Soulex posted:

How do you play with dirty players? I am constantly getting shoved and pulled and the red never calls it.

I did get one guy back for shoving my teammate after the whistle blew (and my friend jumped up and shoved him away because he thought a fight was gonna break out) and my team pulled a red card. Soooo a few minutes later he was attacking and I slide tackled him legally. He scraped his knee and tried me again. I kept closing him out and he eventually switched positions because he couldn't handle someone getting physical back.

Play for fun. But I don't tolerate fight starting at all. There is no place for it on the field.

These days I play as a DM, when I was younger I was either on the wing or some kind of AM. I find its always best to get the first strong tackle in early, let them know you're there, and you ain't afraid to get physical. As a younger player I hated that kind of DM, now I'm older and I am one :shrug:

Shoving and pulling, little kicks and 'accidental' elbows etc, you just got to learn to deal with. It ain't glamorous but its a part of the game, refs can't stop it in a top flight game with 4? 5? assistants and years of experience. Whatever soppy twat we play in front of is more concerned about what his missus is making him for tea than a bit of rough and tumble unless it gets out of hand.

The only way you can deal with it, is to do it back better really, especially as if I remember right, you're the defender.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I am a defender.

That's what I resorted to. After being shoved in the back as I jumped for a header I kinda decided enough was enough.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Sigh, just got confirmation that I will need surgery for the outer meniscus in my left knee. The MRI showed that it's torn all the way through at the back, so now they're going to do an arthroscopy to see whether it can be stitched or they need to shave it off from the back end to where the tear is.

The backstory is somewhat entertaining though, so I'll share it. Back in January some studs on the left boot of my Mercurial Miracles broke off during practice so I had to buy a new pair of shoes. I was kind of busy all week so I decided to go and buy a new pair right before the match on Saturday. I tried on the left boot of a pair of Total 90 Lasers and went on to try on a pair of shorts. Because my feet are pretty much mirror images of each other and I was in a hurry I didn't try on the right boot, so he could go and grab it while I was trying on the shorts.

My team and I get to the club we're playing an away game against and I start putting on my boots. After putting on the left boot I take the other out of my bag and it turns out to be another left boot. No one had any spare boots with them and we only had 11 that game as some of our team mates were on holiday, so I had to play. I did bring my old Miracles, so I played that match with a total 90 boot on my left foot and a miracle one on my right. Because of balancing and compensating the entire 90 minutes, I injured my right groin which I still haven't recovered from.

Somewhere in August I first went to a physiotherapist for that groin injury since it's not included in my insurance and I wanted to spend my money on visits strategically. However, since I wasn't in pain at that point it was hard for them to pinpoint exactly what it was so my physio told me to go to football practice just once and to play until I could feel that injury after which I should stop and come back the day after. She admitted it was a little unorthodox but she was really puzzled. The next day, about fifteen minutes into football practice, we had a small positional exercise going on where I received a poor pass, tried to keep it in with my left leg and tore both the outer meniscus and the anterior cruciate ligament in my left knee. They're not quite sure what to do with the ligament yet, it looked pretty bad on the MRI but my orthopedist wants to have a loot at it during the arthroscopy first. I've not played a match for almost 9 months now, and it's not likely that I will in the next 6 months either, which is extremely frustrating.

That turned out to be longer than planned, sorry! I'll end with a question: does anyone have any experience with spinal anaesthesia? I can choose between that and complete anaesthesia and I'm kind of intrigued.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Can't answer your question about anaesthesia (though with spinal, aren't you awake and aware?) but I offer my sympathies. Rotten luck.

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?
Had an interesting end to a season with my 6 a side team. We had a goal kick. One of our defenders takes it, it skims right over our forwards head at the front of the other team's goal box. The opposing keeper came out to try and punch it but totally mistimes and misses the ball and it rolls into the net. Our forward immediately starts yelling that it touched his head. Their keeper is extremely adamant that it did not. The refs sort of look at each other, shrug, and the closer ref signals that it had touched the head of our forward and is a goal. The other team is screaming from the sidelines, their keeper personally insulting the ref for about 5 minutes afterwards (really surprised the ref didn't book him) and we go on to win 3-1 to become (loser's bracket) champions! The delicious irony was that we had played them earlier in the season and they had scored on a goal kick that our keeper mishandled and went into the goal.

Looked up the rules after the game, turns out you can score directly from a goal kick anyways. Apparently nobody on the field (including the refs) knew that rule. Ahhhh rec league football.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ShaggiusPrime posted:

Looked up the rules after the game, turns out you can score directly from a goal kick anyways. Apparently nobody on the field (including the refs) knew that rule. Ahhhh rec league football.

You can't be offside on a goal kick either, not that it matters in 6's.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Can't answer your question about anaesthesia (though with spinal, aren't you awake and aware?) but I offer my sympathies. Rotten luck.

Yeah, you're exactly right about spinal anaesthesia. I've had surgery many times before in the past (terribly weak eardrums) and I've always had complete anaesthesia. The fact that, with spinal anaesthesia, I can watch what they're doing on a screen is what I find interesting. If the shot is so painful, or the entire procedure so uncomfortable, that the interesting-ness doesn't weigh up to either of those then I'm going to go with complete anaesthesia. From what I've read online it seems that it's not all that painful it's made out to be though.

Also, thanks!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Depending on the type of compelte anaesthesia you receive, you'll likely be giddy as hell for at least one day after your wake up. After my surgery I couldn't eat or sit straight until the following day or I'd vomit. Best google your surgery so you know what to expect, too.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I was sedated for surgery recently and it was a true blackout. I don't remember the moment I went under. When I awoke, it was as if no time had passed. The grogginess lasted for a few hours, but I went back to work the next day.

Unrelated to surgery, I took a shoulder to the chest 2 weeks ago in rec league that knocked me flat. The ref didn't call it because he said the guy got "all ball", which may have been true if you only looked at our feet. Turns out I have a cracked rib and unfortunately the only treatment for that is a lot of rest.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

I was sedated for surgery recently and it was a true blackout. I don't remember the moment I went under. When I awoke, it was as if no time had passed. The grogginess lasted for a few hours, but I went back to work the next day.

Had a cortisone shot in my hip last week with a "twilight" anesthesia via IV, but it ended up as an extremely sudden blackout-and-wakeup. I was up and walking and ready to go home 10 minutes after waking up. Best anesthesia ever.

I've had two myelograms from when I hurt myself on the crew team, roughly 12 years ago. They stick a needle in your spine and inject dye so they can see if your discs have slipped anywhere. The moment that the needle went into my spine in my two myelograms were the two most uncomfortable moments of my life. The second one instantly made me blow chunks.

So yeah, knock me the gently caress out if it means avoiding a needle to the spine.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Soulex posted:

Come through them from behind while they are stopped and run your knee into their hamstring. Then go to help them up and pinch the back of their arm while you do it. Then say I will gently caress you, while smiling and patting them as if you are sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Eyes Wide Shut posted:

That turned out to be longer than planned, sorry! I'll end with a question: does anyone have any experience with spinal anaesthesia? I can choose between that and complete anaesthesia and I'm kind of intrigued.

Spinal anaesthesia owns. There is very slight discomfort when they put quite a thick needle between your vertebrae but then nothing after that. Everytime I've had complete anaesthesia I've woke up feeling like complete poo poo for a couple of hours and once I forgot how to piss. I also always wake up with some random pain where I've been laid with my ankle or other bendable body part laid in some awkward position.