Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KidDynamite posted:

My MacBook Air 13" from January is getting like 3 hours battery life just browsing in chrome and IRC chatting in textual with sparrow open for emails. Is this ok or should I take it in to get looked at? That battery life is very disheartening as the semester is starting back up and I will be at school for 5+ hours(actual in class time) 3 days out of the week.

Remove Flash and use Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I will give Safari a run tonight. How do you remove flash on Safari?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Go to /Library/Internet Plug-ins/ and kill all files that begin with the word flash.

Also if your battery is acting up try resetting the PRAM and SMC..

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3604

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Butt Savage posted:

Does the dust in the screen issue occur with the external displays as well, or is it limited to the iMacs because the fans might be blowing poo poo where it isn't supposed to go?

From what I understand, the issues aren't really dust/dirt (although it looks like it). The problem seems to be heat related. That being said I don't think the external displays suffer the same issues because they don't have a computer cooking them.

eames
May 9, 2009

printf posted:

Nope! You're hosed. You've dissolved some internal rubber and wire insulation and stuff if you're unlucky; at best you've dissolved part of your keyboard. I did this to a Macbook Pro a few months back. It died a similar death. Back up your data and buy a new computer!

Took it to the Apple Store and they wouldn’t replace it.
I ordered an identical 2012 model (13"/4GB/256GB) over night because I didn’t want to wait for a BTO model and this machine will be replaced by the Haswell rMBP anyway.

After pressing the Power-button it took me less than a second to figure out that there’s something wrong with the display. It looks pretty terrible with a strong blue-tint. Blacks aren’t as deep and the color looks less vibrant.

As it turns out this one has a LG display whereas my two old models (2010/2011) have a Samsung. I calibrated the screen with Spyder 4 and the difference is much less noticeable now, but side to side, this calibrated 2012 screen still looks worse than my calibrated 2011.
Text looks sharp and black on the Samsung and somewhat grey/washed out on the LG, but I’m sure a person that has never used a Samsung-MBA before wouldn’t notice.
I’m not sure if Amazon would replace it. Probably not. Sucks.

eames fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 29, 2012

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
With a Retina Macbook Pro, can I connect a regular monitor as a second display? Like, independent, not mirroring or supplanting the MBP's screen.

Edit: with an appropriate adapter, obv.

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 29, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

saint gerald posted:

With a Retina Macbook Pro, can I connect a regular monitor as a second display? Like, independent, not mirroring or supplanting the MBP's screen.

You can connect up to three. Two via Thunderbolt or mini-DisplayPort, and one via HDMI

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

saint gerald posted:

You've been able to do this with every Apple laptop since like 2001

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Question about the 11" i5 and it's suitability as a development platform:

Right now I lug my 15" SB MBP with me to work, but with that laptop and a few other items in the pack, things can be uncomfortable. At work, the thing stays plugged in all day with an external monitor attached. My job requires me to run anywhere from one to two instances of Eclipse, with Maven, Apache, Tomcat, and Postgres - so a fairly typical J2EE dev stack. The kicker is that I also have to run a Windows 7 VM for compatibility testing here and there. I was thinking of getting a BTO 11" i5 with 8GB/256GB, and was wondering how it would handle the sorts of loads my current 15" i7 handles. Is this a feasible setup at all?

FWIW, my 15" has a Crucial M4 and 8GB installed.

Another note: the 15" is currently my one and only system, for both work and home. I need another computer, so it will either be an 11" MBA or a Mac Mini (if I continue to lug the 15" to work)...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mu Zeta posted:

You've been able to do this with every Apple laptop since like 2001

1992 :)

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Remove Flash and use Safari.

Why does Safari affect battery life?

Would be hard to ditch Chrome..

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Space Harrier posted:

I'm really a fan of the trackpad, but the only thing that I have trouble with is clicking and dragging items across the screen. Makes making iTunes playlists a bit more difficult.

If you don't care for three finger drag, the trick I learned was to click and hold with your thumb while dragging with your finger.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ZShakespeare posted:

If you don't care for three finger drag, the trick I learned was to click and hold with your thumb while dragging with your finger.

Any two fingers work well, I think (I hold down with index and drag with middle,) but the key is to use two fingers, rather than trying to both click and drag with one finger. It's one of the instances where you can tell there's some pretty robust software working with the hardware, where it can see that one touch point isn't moving so it shouldn't invoke any of the two finger gestures.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Which is basically just using it like a regular trackpad with buttons on the bottom area.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just turn on Drag Lock under Universal Access and save yourself the troubles.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The timing window for drag lock is annoyingly long and also delays single taps if you use that for clicking.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kalix posted:

Why does Safari affect battery life?

Would be hard to ditch Chrome..

I'm just going to assume it's because it's written be Apple and they should be experts in their own API and it's in their best interest to optimize their own software.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just going to assume it's because it's written be Apple and they should be experts in their own API and it's in their best interest to optimize their own software.

Nope, it's because Flash is built into Chrome, and last time I checked there's no way to disable it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

krooj posted:

Question about the 11" i5 and it's suitability as a development platform:

Right now I lug my 15" SB MBP with me to work, but with that laptop and a few other items in the pack, things can be uncomfortable. At work, the thing stays plugged in all day with an external monitor attached. My job requires me to run anywhere from one to two instances of Eclipse, with Maven, Apache, Tomcat, and Postgres - so a fairly typical J2EE dev stack. The kicker is that I also have to run a Windows 7 VM for compatibility testing here and there. I was thinking of getting a BTO 11" i5 with 8GB/256GB, and was wondering how it would handle the sorts of loads my current 15" i7 handles. Is this a feasible setup at all?

FWIW, my 15" has a Crucial M4 and 8GB installed.

Another note: the 15" is currently my one and only system, for both work and home. I need another computer, so it will either be an 11" MBA or a Mac Mini (if I continue to lug the 15" to work)...

It'd be perfect. It's possible you will miss the quad-core i7 that you currently have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Manky posted:

Nope, it's because Flash is built into Chrome, and last time I checked there's no way to disable it.
about :plugins, everything has a checkbox to turn it off. Including Java which you should definitely have done in the past week because there's an enormous unpatched vulnerability right now.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

about :plugins, everything has a checkbox to turn it off. Including Java which you should definitely have done in the past week because there's an enormous unpatched vulnerability right now.

You're right! And thanks for the Java heads up, I hadn't heard about that. There's a bunch of other stuff I'm happy disabling. Sharepoint, :getout:

e: Now I've disabled Flash in Chrome, installed ClickToPlugin in Safari, and am actually going to use Safari for any Flash stuff since it uses the most recent Flash and generally seems to have better Flash performance than Chrome.

Manky fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 30, 2012

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
(Deleted - redundant following a page refresh)

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
There's always ClickToFlash and ClickToPlugin if you'd like to keep Flash installed but non-obtrusive.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eames posted:

Took it to the Apple Store and they wouldn’t replace it.
I ordered an identical 2012 model (13"/4GB/256GB) over night because I didn’t want to wait for a BTO model and this machine will be replaced by the Haswell rMBP anyway.

After pressing the Power-button it took me less than a second to figure out that there’s something wrong with the display. It looks pretty terrible with a strong blue-tint. Blacks aren’t as deep and the color looks less vibrant.

As it turns out this one has a LG display whereas my two old models (2010/2011) have a Samsung. I calibrated the screen with Spyder 4 and the difference is much less noticeable now, but side to side, this calibrated 2012 screen still looks worse than my calibrated 2011.
Text looks sharp and black on the Samsung and somewhat grey/washed out on the LG, but I’m sure a person that has never used a Samsung-MBA before wouldn’t notice.
I’m not sure if Amazon would replace it. Probably not. Sucks.

Yeah you've likely dissolved parts of the thin ribbon cable that connects the display to logic board.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

My plugins list doesn't include Java. I'm assuming that since I never installed the thing in the first place, it won't show up there? I ask this stupid question because Google packs Flash with Chrome and maybe they were doing the same with Java.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, java doesn't come with chrome. Good for google, because it's an enormous install for what you get out of it.

Mac has a java configuration tool too, in the utilities folder I think. You can disable java systemwide from there.. probably overkill but it's an option.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Is there any reason that mid-2011 MBPs would have a slower ethernet connection than a late-2008? I'm trying to set up some synchronization for a laptop ensemble piece and the older computer is consistently faster than the two slower ones.

(Consistent enough to account for the latency? Perhaps...)

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I sold my mid-2009 13" MBP earlier this summer for $600 right before the refresh, and now that I'm back in school I'm looking for something to take notes with (iPad isn't cutting it, sick of handwriting).

Right now I'm torn between a 128 GB 11" MBA, or the stock 13" MBP. I've played around with the MBA, and the screen is a little smaller than I'm used to, but I'm sure I can get used to that. I don't like not being able to swap out the SSD/RAM though; are either of those possible on the new MBAs?

I'm really just looking for something to use for Word documents and occasional power points for school, and browsing/email at home. I have a 27" iMac at home I use sometimes for Pro Tools, would the MBA be able to handle that?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Given how Oracle works (read: jerk-offs), I highly doubt they'll ever let either Safari, Chrome, or Firefox come out of the box with a JRE similar to the way that Flash is distributed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yarbald posted:

I sold my mid-2009 13" MBP earlier this summer for $600 right before the refresh, and now that I'm back in school I'm looking for something to take notes with (iPad isn't cutting it, sick of handwriting).

Right now I'm torn between a 128 GB 11" MBA, or the stock 13" MBP. I've played around with the MBA, and the screen is a little smaller than I'm used to, but I'm sure I can get used to that. I don't like not being able to swap out the SSD/RAM though; are either of those possible on the new MBAs?

I'm really just looking for something to use for Word documents and occasional power points for school, and browsing/email at home. I have a 27" iMac at home I use sometimes for Pro Tools, would the MBA be able to handle that?
If you have an iMac at home get the 11" Air. You can upgrade the HD later if you want. Hell I'd still get it over the 13" Pro if it's going to be your only machine. It's smaller and the resolution is similar.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anyone here have a Time Capsule and would recommend it? I'm mostly interested in the low-friction backup as well as the ability to wireless print.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

Anyone here have a Time Capsule and would recommend it? I'm mostly interested in the low-friction backup as well as the ability to wireless print.

I have one that I use in a mostly non-mac environment so the backup doesn't work with windows or linux (as far as I'm aware). The routing functions work better than I expected, as I had no problems getting people to connect to my minecraft server. Apparently it has it's own NAS processor that is separate to the router. I've seen write speeds to the time capsule of 30 MB/s compared to using an external usb drive on a Netgear router which had a write speed of 2.5 MB/s at best.

No actual problems to report.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 31, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lexicon posted:

It's a very good consumer router as long as you don't need QoS or jumbo frames. The firmware is very solid: I set up my current AEBS + Time Capsule setup about 6 months ago and haven't needed to reset either device in that time. This is while serving three Windows PCs, an iMac, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, two iPads, two iPhones, an Apple TV, a handful of game systems, and the home automation system. It's currently connected to a 65mbps cable line. I can't say enough good things about Apple's routers.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 31, 2012

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
I think I know the answer to this question (and I won't like it) but I installed Mountain Lion on my ancient 2007 MBP and about a week afterward, my battery went from 93% health to this.

I've done SMC and PRAM but it still says it isn't charging. AppleCare is obviously not an issue with a five year old laptop, as they've already replaced the battery three times I believe. Anything else I can do to resurrect the beast?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

I think I know the answer to this question (and I won't like it) but I installed Mountain Lion on my ancient 2007 MBP and about a week afterward, my battery went from 93% health to this.

I've done SMC and PRAM but it still says it isn't charging. AppleCare is obviously not an issue with a five year old laptop, as they've already replaced the battery three times I believe. Anything else I can do to resurrect the beast?

It may have been dead(ish) before, but wasn't reporting correctly. Not that that really helps.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You also could have a lovely adapter/charger, have you taken in the laptop AND charger to be tested to a Fruit Stand?

I've already replaced four adapters in the past year or so, anecdotally speaking. Adapter and Ethernet controller quality have been getting shittier since the 'new' aluminum models came out IMHO.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

You also could have a lovely adapter/charger, have you taken in the laptop AND charger to be tested to a Fruit Stand?

I've already replaced four adapters in the past year or so, anecdotally speaking. Adapter and Ethernet controller quality have been getting shittier since the 'new' aluminum models came out IMHO.

That is quite possible. It's the original adapter and I don't have another MagSafe with which I could test it. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

If you have an iMac at home get the 11" Air. You can upgrade the HD later if you want. Hell I'd still get it over the 13" Pro if it's going to be your only machine. It's smaller and the resolution is similar.

Thanks, that's what I've been leaning towards, and it'll save me about $160. How difficult/expensive is it to change the HD?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Yarbald posted:

Thanks, that's what I've been leaning towards, and it'll save me about $160. How difficult/expensive is it to change the HD?

It's more expensive than difficult. Other World Computing has replacement Solid State Drives for the rMBP and the 2010, 2011, and 2012 MBAs that are pretty easy to install - more or less "remove bottom case, remove old SSD, plug new one in". It's just VERY expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm looking to buy the newest 15" MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz laptop but refurbished. Anyone have any idea when it'll be up? Or has it been, but it's just sold out at the moment?