Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Diplomaticus posted:

It has been a hell of a week, let me tell you.

Hahahahahahaha! Yes, I thought of you when I saw that. Best time to be at a post; you'll look back on it fondly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Business of Ferrets posted:

Hahahahahahaha! Yes, I thought of you when I saw that. Best time to be at a post; you'll look back on it fondly!

Yeah, when I saw that hit the news I thought, man it's going to be AWESOME being in Addis right about now.

Edit: Acting IMO/IPO/ISO right now. (Those are 1, 2, 2, jobs respectively)

Also had to look up Vienna Convention on Dip Relations to draft a memo for the Management Counselor. Yeah... gently caress.

TCD fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 24, 2012

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Man, you got the Patriarch AND the President - lucky you. I have a friend who was the CAO in Warsaw when half of the Polish government was killed in a plane crash, and boy howdy was that a busy week for Mission Poland.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

So typing replies over ILMS property stuff isn't the best idea after two cans of Red Bull.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Oh man, is there a equivalent of this for Canadians? I would love a career path like this except I'm a Canadian and majoring in Economics.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
SuperSix: yep. Unfortunately I don't see my Canadian counterparts enough to ask them about the path though.

the_chavi posted:

Man, you got the Patriarch AND the President - lucky you. I have a friend who was the CAO in Warsaw when half of the Polish government was killed in a plane crash, and boy howdy was that a busy week for Mission Poland.

It's almost like the Patriarch was a bigger thing for 99% of people. It's fascinating, for certain politically active and devout Orthodox, it's like they lost their family.

Heh, went to lunch today and almost couldn't get to the hotel due to swarms of people going to the PM's palace to see the body lying in state. I kind of want to go, it's extremely rare for it to be opened to the public (I've been once for a meeting but didn't get to walk around obviously). But apparently they are arranging a special diplomatic "viewing" day. Which I'm a little weirded out by -- not that I'm weirded out by bodies, but I didn't know the guy.

In other news, rep funds approved to host a "top chef" party. I just want to reiterate that this is the best job. They are paying for me to have a party in which people cook their best dish, and I eat it and judge it. Then I declare a winner and we get drunk.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 24, 2012

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
How important is having prior international experience of any sort when applying? I'm starting a grad program in environmental policy and I can apply for a summer abroad but it would take up all of my electives so I'm a bit reticent to do so. However, if it would greatly improve my chances with the Foreign Service I'd be more inclined to try for it. Any ideas?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Anonononomous posted:

How important is having prior international experience of any sort when applying? I'm starting a grad program in environmental policy and I can apply for a summer abroad but it would take up all of my electives so I'm a bit reticent to do so. However, if it would greatly improve my chances with the Foreign Service I'd be more inclined to try for it. Any ideas?

It would be seen as something positive, but I don't think we have a good feel for what kind of relative weight the panel gives to overseas experience versus, say, graduate education or full-time work experience.

My advice would be to only do the summer abroad if a) you don't want to save your elective credits for something else, b) the time abroad would help in a tangible way with your education or for getting a job in your field (outside of the FS) and 3) it is something you want to do. On the other hand, if you otherwise don't plan to study or work during the summer between Fall and Winter Semesters, and if it is financially viable, you might try going overseas on an internship or working holiday program you set up yourself.

One important consideration: have you lived overseas before? If not, you might want to test-drive it before getting into the FS. I came into the service before overseas experience mattered for candidates, but I can think of maybe one or two people out of my orientation class who hadn't spent significant time outside the country before joining State.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

It would be seen as something positive, but I don't think we have a good feel for what kind of relative weight the panel gives to overseas experience versus, say, graduate education or full-time work experience.

My advice would be to only do the summer abroad if a) you don't want to save your elective credits for something else, b) the time abroad would help in a tangible way with your education or for getting a job in your field (outside of the FS) and 3) it is something you want to do. On the other hand, if you otherwise don't plan to study or work during the summer between Fall and Winter Semesters, and if it is financially viable, you might try going overseas on an internship or working holiday program you set up yourself.

One important consideration: have you lived overseas before? If not, you might want to test-drive it before getting into the FS. I came into the service before overseas experience mattered for candidates, but I can think of maybe one or two people out of my orientation class who hadn't spent significant time outside the country before joining State.

I don't think time spent abroad is one of the secret codes that automatically unlocks a job offer from State. I know plenty of people who joined without any significant living or work experience abroad. (I'm one, in fact - six weeks in Spain as a college freshman hardly counts.) With that being said, living and working abroad as a professional is very different from vacationing, backpacking, and being an exchange student - some recent grads or RPCVs have difficulty making that transition once they're in State.

BoF's comments about the summer abroad program - especially B - are spot-on. I'd suggest that you do the program only if it contributes to your larger job marketability, especially outside of federal service.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diplomaticus posted:

It's almost like the Patriarch was a bigger thing for 99% of people. It's fascinating, for certain politically active and devout Orthodox, it's like they lost their family.

Heh, went to lunch today and almost couldn't get to the hotel due to swarms of people going to the PM's palace to see the body lying in state. I kind of want to go, it's extremely rare for it to be opened to the public (I've been once for a meeting but didn't get to walk around obviously). But apparently they are arranging a special diplomatic "viewing" day. Which I'm a little weirded out by -- not that I'm weirded out by bodies, but I didn't know the guy.

In other news, rep funds approved to host a "top chef" party. I just want to reiterate that this is the best job. They are paying for me to have a party in which people cook their best dish, and I eat it and judge it. Then I declare a winner and we get drunk.

Yeah I'm sure. What's the reaction been from Asmara? And where is the palace - I don't remember seeing it when I was in Addis in 2008.

That's AWESOME about the top chef party. What type of contacts are cooking? I did something similar with contacts in Istanbul - bring a few over every few weeks, cook them stew and feed them wine, then sit back and gossip. I'm sure the Turkish government loved the conversations they heard in my apartment!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

the_chavi posted:

Yeah I'm sure. What's the reaction been from Asmara? And where is the palace - I don't remember seeing it when I was in Addis in 2008.

That's AWESOME about the top chef party. What type of contacts are cooking? I did something similar with contacts in Istanbul - bring a few over every few weeks, cook them stew and feed them wine, then sit back and gossip. I'm sure the Turkish government loved the conversations they heard in my apartment!

No idea about Asmara. The palace is right in the middle of town, just above the Sheraton (that windy road that goes down to the Sheraton dead ends on the compound.)

It's going to be all sorts of contacts -- other diplomats, private sector, etc. The only rule is that you cook it yourself and bring it completed (can be warmed on site) because I don't have enough cook space to let people do it live. If I had my dream kitchen.....

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Reposting from the last page since it got kind of buried: How do embassy employees and contractors who are reservists take care of their drilling/AT commitment?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Diplomaticus posted:

SuperSix: yep. Unfortunately I don't see my Canadian counterparts enough to ask them about the path though.

Thanks, I dug around and found some good info. If any Canadians out there are interested in a similar line of work, you can probably get started here: http://www.international.gc.ca/jobs-emplois/careers-carrieres.aspx?view=d

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

psydude posted:

Reposting from the last page since it got kind of buried: How do embassy employees and contractors who are reservists take care of their drilling/AT commitment?

Most posts have a Defense Attache Office and/or a Military Liaison Office. How this helps you, I have no idea.

TCD fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 25, 2012

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

TCD posted:

Most posts have a Defense Attache Office and/or a Military Liaison Office. How this helps you, I have no idea.

I know people who have done their monthly drill hours at the DAO, but if there are not opportunities there one can sometimes travel to major OCONUS bases (Germany, Korea, etc.) to do it there. I know one guy who, when working in Asia, did a few weeks at PACOM in Honolulu for his drill/AT.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

psydude posted:

As far as the contractors go that's probably the contracting company's problem right? I think for direct hires they provide up to 15 days a year for training.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

I know people who have done their monthly drill hours at the DAO, but if there are not opportunities there one can sometimes travel to major OCONUS bases (Germany, Korea, etc.) to do it there. I know one guy who, when working in Asia, did a few weeks at PACOM in Honolulu for his drill/AT.

Okay, thanks. Any idea if you can actually get assigned directly to the DAO, or is a case where you have to RST constantly?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

psydude posted:

Okay, thanks. Any idea if you can actually get assigned directly to the DAO, or is a case where you have to RST constantly?

Sorry, no idea, but it seemed pretty ad hoc to me.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Sorry, no idea, but it seemed pretty ad hoc to me.

^^ I think this is right.

I doubt you'd be assigned to that DAO specifically but I don't really know.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

psydude posted:

My understanding is that they find a nearby unit (nearby meaning, within the same general region of the continent you are on) to drill with and then do it once or twice a year all at once, if possible. So people in Europe will go to Germany or Italy, for instance.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Today's awesome feeling: being the first person to break the news that a key government minister resigned. I even beat Ops by three hours. :hf:

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Very interesting simulation class today.

I don't think a single thing went right. In fact, the instructors were clipping our cables right as we were plugging them in. (constantly)

Laughs were had. The tears of an IMS is a funny thing, isn't it?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Very interesting simulation class today.

I don't think a single thing went right. In fact, the instructors were clipping our cables right as we were plugging them in. (constantly)

Laughs were had. The tears of an IMS is a funny thing, isn't it?

I'm in the best post. My IPC has windows. They open.

I have open windows in my IPC. I have fresh air and I can hear protesters really awesomely but that owns cause I love a good protest.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

I have open windows in my IPC. I have fresh air and I can hear protesters really awesomely but that owns cause I love a good protest.

Sent you some emails today.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Vilerat posted:

I presume you have a waiver? But poo poo, man. Windows? gently caress. I need to bid on your post.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

I presume you have a waiver? But poo poo, man. Windows? gently caress. I need to bid on your post.

Or just get job as an ISO.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Our IPC has its own bathroom. It's better than every other bathroom in the building. Mainly because it doesn't have local staff that keep bottles of poo poo water that they use as makeshift bidets, ruining everything.

It is my goal to use this bathroom before I leave.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

Our IPC has its own bathroom. It's better than every other bathroom in the building. Mainly because it doesn't have local staff that keep bottles of poo poo water that they use as makeshift bidets, ruining everything.

It is my goal to use this bathroom before I leave.

Well, then, Japan would blow your mind.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
FSWE questions:

1. I signed up yesterday to take the exam and got a message saying that invitations to register to take the test in October will be going out in late August. Does that mean I will be able to take the written exam in October, or am I probably too late?

2. I had meant to save rather than submit my application after putting in some of my previous jobs. I have several jobs that I did not put in the registration package. It seems that I can't go back in and make any edits to them. ACT hasn't responded to me yet, but is there any way I can go back in and add those jobs? If not, will I be completely boned on the biographical part of the written exam or on QEP review?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Signed up a couple weeks ago, still haven't seen a testing invite yet :ohdear:

[edit] well got the invite tonight and got the weekend test slot I wanted. Time to prepare!

harperdc fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 31, 2012

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

qwertyman posted:

2. I had meant to save rather than submit my application after putting in some of my previous jobs. I have several jobs that I did not put in the registration package. It seems that I can't go back in and make any edits to them. ACT hasn't responded to me yet, but is there any way I can go back in and add those jobs? If not, will I be completely boned on the biographical part of the written exam or on QEP review?

Once you click "submit" you can't go back and change anything. No idea if it will affect you on the QEP. My understanding is that the Bio section of the written test is graded on your answers, not on your answers in combination with your resumé.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Well, then, Japan would blow your mind.

Speaking of which, d'you know anything about Sapporo? There's a job up there that's struck my fancy and I'd love the skinny.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Zoots posted:

Speaking of which, d'you know anything about Sapporo? There's a job up there that's struck my fancy and I'd love the skinny.

Small post, minimal visitors, beautiful place, cold winters. I don't know a lot about it, but people I know who have served there speak highly of the place. If you PM me your name I can ask around some more (see what the current and future staffing & leadership looks like, etc.) and hit you on Opennet.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Small post, minimal visitors, beautiful place, cold winters. I don't know a lot about it, but people I know who have served there speak highly of the place. If you PM me your name I can ask around some more (see what the current and future staffing & leadership looks like, etc.) and hit you on Opennet.

PM sent!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Small post, minimal visitors, beautiful place, cold winters.

Minimal visitors... it sounds like heaven.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On our Embassy Facebook page, there's a picture of me and the Ambassador hosted at a traditional Libyan meal last week. Because I didn't know I'd be going to this event, I mistakenly wore a skirt suit, so in the picture I'm trying not to look awkward because we're all sitting on the floor eating with our hands.

Most fabulous comment from the Libyan public so far (after 400+ positive comments): "shameless American lady with naked thighs."

Love my job.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

Most fabulous comment from the Libyan public so far (after 400+ positive comments): "shameless American lady with naked thighs."

Love my job.

Breast or leg, Mr. Ambassador?

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Just registered to take the exam in Kiev on the 29th of September. Anyone else have experience taking the test at an embassy vs stateside? Specifically, it says not to bring bags, cell phones, watches, etc. to the embassy which kind of implies they don't have storage or it's gonna be a pain somehow. I've heard some horror stories from people applying for visas to the US about having to literally leave their bag in the bushes outside, but... yeah. I'm heading up in the morning and was planning on making it a day trip only. I could theoretically find some ramshackle storage at the train/bus station or leave it with hostel scum, but it would be somewhat out of my way and a big part of my test taking strategy is not being an exhausted zombie or anything other than well-rested and totally relaxed.

Small concern I know, but if there's anything else to be aware of that might be unexpected either about taking it in an embassy or just about the test generally, I'd really appreciate anyone who could share their experience.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
I took the test in Tokyo in June, and I brought my bag and cell phone. I had to leave the cell with the guard at reception in the embassy proper. It's like going into a secure highrise office. We all just left our bags at the back of the test room. They were about 20 feet away at all times and there were only 6 other test takers and 2 procters in the room, so it's not like anyone could just walk by and take them.

Jacobobb fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
It think it depends on the embassy. I took it in June in Brussels and it wasn't at the embassy, but in an office building down the street that the embassy rented out. I had to leave my cell phone up front with the guard.

But I know that if you go to the embassy in Frankfurt, you're not supposed to bring a cell phone with you.