Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Good luck finding your way around that map. No wonder Arino spent so much time lost...

Warps appearing during parts of the day/night cycle certainly do not help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011
I found "Piggy" and then pretty much immediately got stuck on that island with no exits. This game...

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The exit warp was somewhere in the bottom center.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jolopy posted:

I noticed 2 Tengen games. Did you get lucky and happen to score the awesome and superior version: Tengen Tetris?

Nope.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

The only valid way to play Super Monkey Adventures is with the Steel Battalion controller.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If only the eject button sen the cart flying out of the system.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

No .gif can convey how agonizingly slooow that game is. I just tried out the ROM (which took three different emulators and trial-and-error to run... no fault of the uploader though I'm sure), and it's literally just minutes upon hours of slow lumbering around following by Spastic Action Sequences where I can't tell what the hell I'm doing.

My hat's off to Arino and his phone helpers for making any progress in that game. I played for about 10 minutes and had to shut it off.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'd still be playing if my party hadn't died. :(

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Paging Frank Cifaldi...

Arino's complete enthusiasm during Battletoads actually made me want to try out the US version myself so I'll definitely try this as well. Cool find!

-SUGOI SQUAD! :argh:

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 28, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You need to tell Gascoin about this. They'll love it.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

oof.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

I had this song playing in my head while watching this gif.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QyQ9PsOj6A C&C Red Alert - Hell March, this song makes things metal

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

You just made me look like be an idiot on The Cutting Room Floor. At least I realized I was stupid (by running this though a tile viewer) before someone else pointed it out to me.

TapamN fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 28, 2012

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
My main guy died then I turned into a dragon (???) and that died or disappeared or something then I became the pig but didn't have any way to attack so I died. I don't even know what I was doing or where I was going. Amazing game, 8/10.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TapamN posted:

You just made me look like be an idiot on The Cutting Room Floor. At least I realized I was stupid (by running this though a tile viewer) before someone else pointed it out to me.

Just in case anyone else is wondering and doesn't want to put in the effort http://i.imgur.com/8BSQJ.png

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

craig588 posted:

Just in case anyone else is wondering and doesn't want to put in the effort http://i.imgur.com/8BSQJ.png
I'm not too surprised by this... Either way, I can't wait to try this horrible game that probably makes Superman 64 look good in comparison.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
This game has a plot, everything technically works, and you can complete it. It's a great game. :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

If you're brave enough to attempt to finish the whole game, here's a handy map. I got it from this extremely thorough Japanese site and added a bunch of markers myself for better clarity.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Geocities still exists in Japan? :psyduck:

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Pardon me while I freak out for a bit that you managed to get a prototype in the midst of a bunch of regular games like that, even if it IS for a really terrible game. Lucky son of a... :stare:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I never thought that I'd be party to the unearthing of a demo Nintendo cart, let alone Super Monkey Daibouken. I mean goddrat.

I don't know whether I should thank you or curse you for the download.

Did your dad work for Nintendo? :v:

EDIT : Also, this is completely not what I was expecting when I saw 40 new replies. You should post this over in the Retro Gaming thread, they'd be interested in seeing it.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 28, 2012

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Can someone tell me what the song they play every time Abe is in front of the camera is?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

zari-gani posted:

If you're brave enough to attempt to finish the whole game, here's a handy map. I got it from this extremely thorough Japanese site and added a bunch of markers myself for better clarity.

Oh my gently caress THANK YOU for the map. Now to play it on my Famicom (I got SMD for like 2 dollars while buying a few games off ebay don't judge me :mad: )

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just played a few minutes of Super Monkey Adventure on my Wii (it's softmodded with an NES emulator) and I think it's actually worse than it looks on video. Even my dog ran into the living room (where the Wii is) from my bedroom and almost begged me to stop playing. I'm sure a lot of it was the grating music and the fact that it's almost 5 AM here, but it was the most bizarre thing to happen since she rarely does that. :psyduck:

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

I think the map is really why I feel like at least someone on the Super Monkey Adventure team had ambition far beyond the game's reach. I mean, it's pretty huge for the era and a decently recognizable representation of a stretch of China and southeast Asia. I feel like whoever made that map was thinking he was building part of what would be a truly epic game stretching across the length of China.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Mister Chief posted:

Japan's internet is stuck in the late 90's/early 2000's. Look at their web design, it's a very no-frills, text heavy, 10 years out of date style. Here is a really interesting article on it (may have gotten from here, may not have, I can't remember).

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/05/15/japanese-web-design-why-you-so-2003/

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Only the US branch of Geocities closed. Geocities is owned by Yahoo, and Yahoo is very popular in Japan. I think it's more popular than Google. There's an article about this: Yahoo Japan: Same name, very different company.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

People are still buying it. You guys are magnificent.

Also outside of the US and Europe Yahoo! is the cool homepage to have. I have a friend who works for Yahoo! and from what I have gathered they are not at all afraid of becoming obsolete.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Goddamn you Street Fighter 2 episode for briefly making me think there was an episode with my main man playing Seaman

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Myriad posted:

Can someone tell me what the song they play every time Abe is in front of the camera is?

According to the OP, it's Ginbae Yokohama - Bucchigiri Rock 'n Roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Igs0clpUQ

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Want your mind blown? Compuserve (for anyone old enough to remember it) still exists in Japan, under their Japanese name Niftyserve. It's probably been bought and sold half a dozen times in the past 20 years, but the fact that brand still exists anywhere still baffles me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RiffRaff1138 posted:

According to the OP, it's Ginbae Yokohama - Bucchigiri Rock 'n Roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Igs0clpUQ

For those who want to sing along, here's the lyrics in Japanese that I got from zari-gani when I did the Sugoi Squad video:

Bucchigiri Rock 'n Roll posted:

Hashiri dashi tara tomara nai ze
Doyou no yoru no tenshi sa
Unaru choku kan yamiyo o saki
Asa made zenkai akuseru On
Jiman no mashin o tobashi te
Iki na Highway Dancer kidore ba
Mabui ano musume mo hako nori
Konya ha Satisfy

CASTORO no kaori makichirashi
Rūmu mirā ni ukabu

Akai shigunaru senaka ni uke te
Hoiru supin o kimere ba
Konya ha Satisfy

Ah yeah Hey

Kinou to kyou no sukima o nuke te
Atsui hāto o moyasu ze
Nagareru tēru o oikake
Konya ha Satisfy

Unaru choku kan yamiyo o saki

( Thank you very much )

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Edison Carter posted:

Want your mind blown? Compuserve (for anyone old enough to remember it) still exists in Japan, under their Japanese name Niftyserve. It's probably been bought and sold half a dozen times in the past 20 years, but the fact that brand still exists anywhere still baffles me.

There's a lot of stuff you hear both in and out of this thread that can make you think "Wow, Japan sure is different than the West" but nothing has hammered it home for me like that.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

"Next episode: 2012.09.06 (Thurs) 24:00
This time he's going to challenge Karnov!
A classic action game ported from the arcades.
The enemy's brutal onslaught and the strict game system leaves Chief Arino in a desperate struggle!!
Will he be able to see the ending?!"

Yesssssss

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That's awesome. I remember renting Karnov way back when but never making much progress. I'll rely on the Kacho to show me what I missed.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Glad to see the break in episodes is over.

Seith
Sep 28, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Yesssssss

I agree; Yesssssss, he willllllll.

Although I remember Karnov being hard as rock. I wonder if he will get the same enjoyment out of it that he seemed to out of Battletoads?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I have high hopes for Karnov's mid-episode Arino-photoshop eyecatch.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

"Next episode: 2012.09.06 (Thurs) 24:00
This time he's going to challenge Karnov!
A classic action game ported from the arcades.
The enemy's brutal onslaught and the strict game system leaves Chief Arino in a desperate struggle!!

Yesssssss

It's like they know we're watching them! :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
translate that poo poo asap