Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Thanks Pumpking and Thundercracker for the quick responses!

I don't think I explained my questions about stability well enough. I understand why stability is important, especially on guns that have a lot of kick, but I don't see why the gun mod alone isn't enough for some people. I've seen people say how amazing zero recoil is, but there doesn't seem to be much difference to me.

Of course, I'm not getting head shots on really distant enemies with it in either case. Are people really able to reliably get head shots at long distances with a zero recoil assault rifle? If so, then my aim might just suck.

I'm glad I'm not the only ones calling bullshit on Phantoms (although Cerebus would indeed be too easy without them). Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to give them a try.

What powers that stagger (or similar effect) aren't ignored by Phantom's barriers? I know stasis is one, but are there any other that get through the barrier's protection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blompkin posted:

What powers that stagger (or similar effect) aren't ignored by Phantom's barriers? I know stasis is one, but are there any other that get through the barrier's protection?

Phantoms can always be hit by 'instant' powers. An instant power is one like Reave, or Energy Drain. The powers hit when you press the button, unlike Grenades, Warp and Throw, which travel through the air and impact the target. The traveling ones get blocked by the shield and the instant ones do not.

This is my experience anyways. I'm usually a Justicar and my Reave always seems to hit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Blompkin posted:

Of course, I'm not getting head shots on really distant enemies with it in either case. Are people really able to reliably get head shots at long distances with a zero recoil assault rifle? If so, then my aim might just suck.

Yeah, it's practice. Also there are times when I want a precision weapon without a scope, so something like a Harrier with stability is perfect. I can operate at any range and do a lot of damage to boot.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

SciFiDownBeat posted:

In that build, a Talon X with Tac Cloak and Hunter Mode on dishes out almost 1200 damage per shot. :wtc:

Also the Talon does 1.5 times that damage to shields and barriers.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The secret to Phantoms is to throw a power at them that makes them raise their bullshit shield, then shoot them with regular old guns while they are standing still and not fighting back. Trying to spam powers until they quit dodging/being invincible is a waste of time and either gets you killed by their hand cannons, or gets you killed by the three guys who flanked you while you were focusing on the Phantom.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
For what it's worth, a Bioware guy confirmed on the forums that there's another large patch due soon. Hopefully I'll be able to cross out most of the bug list from the first post :shepface:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Houdini posted:

Also from the DLC that could affect MP: You get Dominate as a bonus power, so my wishes for an Asari Vampire class is one step closer to becoming a thing.

The Raider needs to be in MP too.

Man, I was really underwhelmed by the Raider and the Argus. I guess if they show up in MP, there's a chance they could be buffed, but they just seemed really lame to me, which was disappointing. I gave up my Talon V twice for those things. :mad:

jpmeyer posted:

Maaaaaaaan, after playing multiplayer for something like 4 months now, going back to SP for Leviathan (even with it set to insanity) was like playing on bronze.

Also I totally forgot that I can hold down shift to pause.

I died once when I got caught between some Marauders and a Ravager after a poorly planned out Charge. I felt really stupid. I barely used Nova at all through the DLC, mostly just had Liara Warp stuff and then Charge it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Javik's way more fun in SP because of Dark Channel. He's the perfect Vanguard buddy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Javik refuses to cuddle with me no matter how many times I ask. he gets to ride the pine. :colbert:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

VJeff posted:

Man, I was really underwhelmed by the Raider and the Argus. I guess if they show up in MP, there's a chance they could be buffed, but they just seemed really lame to me, which was disappointing. I gave up my Talon V twice for those things. :mad:

I died once when I got caught between some Marauders and a Ravager after a poorly planned out Charge. I felt really stupid. I barely used Nova at all through the DLC, mostly just had Liara Warp stuff and then Charge it.

Raider X has BY FAR the highest DPS in the game according to the google doc, almost twice the DPS of the Piranha X.

Also, the google doc has been updated with a stat called multi-clip DPS, which finally gives some DPS numbers that include single-shot weapons like the Claymore.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jpmeyer posted:

Raider X has BY FAR the highest DPS in the game according to the google doc, almost twice the DPS of the Piranha X.

Also, the google doc has been updated with a stat called multi-clip DPS, which finally gives some DPS numbers that include single-shot weapons like the Claymore.

Wait, how do you get an SP weapon up to X? I thought you could only upgrade SP weapons to V.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

VJeff posted:

Wait, how do you get an SP weapon up to X? I thought you could only upgrade SP weapons to V.

You can get them up to X if you do a New Game+.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Elotana posted:

For what it's worth, a Bioware guy confirmed on the forums that there's another large patch due soon. Hopefully I'll be able to cross out most of the bug list from the first post :shepface:

The patchnotes will let you cross off everything, but when the patch actually comes out you'll have to un-cross-off two thirds of the list and add 15 new entries.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

randombattle posted:

I think the paladin makes the biggest joke from the phantoms.
I found that the Krogaurd turns them into a joke, at least on Silver. Charge -> Heavy Melee -> Dead Phantom.

Speaking of the Kroguard, should I go for more melee damage or more shields/health for the final fitness evolution? As tempting as more melee is, I'd like a bit more survivability for those times when you hammer Y and nothing happens while you're surrounded by enemies and you just die. I mean, if he actually charges, he can tangle with multiple Primes with other guys around and still come out on top, but if he just stands there like a dork even though he's not on cooldown and you're clearly targeting someone that doesn't work, and it's hard to tell in advance which is going to happen.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Slayer with all Area evolutions makes four Phantoms at once into a joke. On Gold. For real. Literally you have more to fear from a Nemesis than a Phantom; if a Nemesis hits you with Assassinate just as you come out of Charge then you have no shields and no PD, which you'd normally depend on to chain-stagger everyone in a fifteen meter radius until your Charge cools down. Basically you're in really deep poo poo unless it's like one Nemesis and one Assault Trooper or something.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Yeah phase disruptor is great against phantoms again because it staggers them. Hail the all powerful stagger.

Blompkin posted:

Submission net on the batarian sentinel maybe? Phase disruptor, ballistic blades, proxy mine are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Normally you just have to chip away at the barrier to get to the squishy centre.

E: Unless you mean the bullshit shield. In which case projectile powers (warp, throw, incinerate, grenades etc) will be blocked but instant powers like reave and dark channel will hit before she can put the shield up.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 29, 2012

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
I've gone back and read more of the thread, and I definitely think most of my Headshot/Phantom problems come from a simple lack of experience. Oh well, it's the perfect excuse to keep playing.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Blompkin fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 29, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Speaking of killing Phantoms, that shield gate reduction lets me do this now. :c00lbert:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Synonamess Botch posted:

You can get them up to X if you do a New Game+.

Or more specifically, you can upgrade them to VII, and when you pick the weapon up the second time it adds 3 levels

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Speaking of killing Phantoms, that shield gate reduction lets me do this now. :c00lbert:

Now I am sorely tempted to respec my GI into a sniper. Seeing single shot snipers viable again makes me happy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Trykt posted:

This is exactly how I felt my first time through the main singleplayer. I'd already been playing the MP for weeks and after getting used to double banshees PLUS all the chaff around you, dealing with one at a time in the main game (even on insanity) is super duper not a big deal. I guess that fits in with how much of a ridiculous bad rear end Shepard is supposed to be anyway though.

The only bit of SP I found really felt like Multiplayer was the Rachni Queen, with the Reavers sniping you with missiles. It's been ages since I've played though, so that may have just been due to inexperience. I wish they had two difficulty sliders for enemy quality and enemy quantity so you could choose how you wanted to make the game harder.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Has anybody had an opportunity to test the Hawk Missile Launcher yet?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Bruceski posted:

The only bit of SP I found really felt like Multiplayer was the Rachni Queen, with the Reavers sniping you with missiles. It's been ages since I've played though, so that may have just been due to inexperience. I wish they had two difficulty sliders for enemy quality and enemy quantity so you could choose how you wanted to make the game harder.

No I am just spoiled now by having somewhat competent squad members in mp. Even the worst of the worst pubbies aren't as dumb as the ai squad members. Liara, why are you looking for protheans in the barrel of that turret?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
There seems to be a lot of missile glitchers on platinum now. I guess the word spread about how to do it again. Any N7 Destroyer with a Striker is most likely doing it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

KnoxZone posted:

Now I am sorely tempted to respec my GI into a sniper. Seeing single shot snipers viable again makes me happy.

If this script has the correct math, I'm doing roughly 10,600 damage with a Javelin IX headshot on my build. To match that with a Widow X a level 3 rail amp would be needed along with every damage bonus, and probably incendiary ammo in case a headshot leaves a tiny bit of health.

I've tried my setup against all three factions. The only trouble I have is with the Geth, and that's because they swarm in big numbers. Hunters in particular move fast and don't take cover, and the Javelin's biggest strength is finding targets behind walls and allowing you to headshot them.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 30, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

VJeff posted:

Has anybody had an opportunity to test the Hawk Missile Launcher yet?

Hey I just played a few games with it and it's still terrible. I went for the damage, armor damage, and cobra evolutions and the damage still sucked. About 60-70% of a pyro's armor on silver when everything worked out which is rarely because the missile will usually fire when their shield is still up screwing you out of the bonus damage.

It's not worth the shield hit let alone the points.

I'm going to try it again with the top row when I get another respec card and see if it works decently for staggering poo poo.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

After trying the adrenaline-less Soldier for a while I've decided Concussive Shot is a pretty underrated power. The damage sucks but a power that staggers shielded mooks on a 1 second cooldown is nothing to sneeze at.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Elotana posted:

After trying the adrenaline-less Soldier for a while I've decided Concussive Shot is a pretty underrated power. The damage sucks but a power that staggers shielded mooks on a 1 second cooldown is nothing to sneeze at.
This is why I run 4/4/6/6/6 on Turian Soldier. Once you remember it's there, Conc Shot comes in handy quite often.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Elotana posted:

.....I've always run this, Adrenaline Rush loses its main function in MP. :colbert:

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Just blasted my first Platinum run. My Fury and a Justicar in the first Firebase White cubicle, and a Demolisher and Destroyer in the second was some good times. Had a nasty rhythm with the Justicar: Dark Channel, Reave, Explosion, repeat.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Lagomorphic posted:

Hey I just played a few games with it and it's still terrible. I went for the damage, armor damage, and cobra evolutions and the damage still sucked. About 60-70% of a pyro's armor on silver when everything worked out which is rarely because the missile will usually fire when their shield is still up screwing you out of the bonus damage.

It's not worth the shield hit let alone the points.

I'm going to try it again with the top row when I get another respec card and see if it works decently for staggering poo poo.

Is it named any differently now, or did it (likely) not kill anything for you to check?

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"
I just got my first maxed out Ultra Rare: The Javelin.

One down, several to go.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Unlocked some good stuff tonight:
- Geth Plasma Shotgun (holy poo poo :swoon: )
- Asari Justicar (about to read up and try it out)

I was straight killing it on my Geth Inf. first try with the Plasma Shotgun. That gun is something else.

edit:
V I'm trying to put together a spec right now, how's this look?
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#03RQFFRq9@0@A@@O4L4@0@0

Should I run with a low cooldown or just use a shotgun?

TheDK fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 30, 2012

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Justicar loving rocks. You won't score high but you'll keep your team alive and set up combos that hold off enemies. Make sure you spec the biotic sphere for radius and to cause warp damage at lvl. 6 so it sets up combos. I also max out reave and put three ranks in pull so you can kill guardians and set up your own combos without a sphere. Choosing additional radius on reave makes it hit multiple enemies which is awesome and sets them all up for a combo from another player.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Eckertmania posted:

I just got my first maxed out Ultra Rare: The Javelin.

One down, several to go.

and what a perfect time to get it.

I maxed out my Paladin recently and it owns being able to carry the second most powerful pistol with 190% cooldowns without ULM.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I play this game way too much and my URs are all still between II and VI. Are you guys spending actual money or something?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

TheDK posted:

V I'm trying to put together a spec right now, how's this look?
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#03RQFFRq9@0@A@@O4L4@0@0

Should I run with a low cooldown or just use a shotgun?

Looks good, though I think it's better to maximize the DR on Reave. DR gets better the more DR you have, and the Justicar can get a lot of DR.

You want to keep your cooldown fairly low, as spamming Reave on an enemy will eventually do quite a bit of damage. Any good shotgun besides the Claymore (Piranha, Reegar, GPS, Graal, Wraith, Talon) would be fine.

I think it works better with the Drell Adept, but you could also use the Acolyte to strip shields, and then kill enemies with a Pull->Reave combo. That should kill anything Pull-able, though it'll take a second for Reave to kill the enemy.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Elotana posted:

I play this game way too much and my URs are all still between II and VI. Are you guys spending actual money or something?

Just getting lucky, really. It also helps that my roommate plays on my account, too, so the game is on for 8-10 hours a day.

Edit: As an aside, Because my roommate and I have spent so much time playing, we've kinda run out of character builds to play. Here is our manifest right here and if anyone wants to look through it and give us ideas, that would be awesome.

Eckertmania fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 30, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Felinoid posted:

Is it named any differently now, or did it (likely) not kill anything for you to check?

It's still called Missile Launcher in the kill feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Actually survived a random London on gold thanks to getting two randoms who actually used mics and communicated pretty well. Trying out the Claymore in that round on my Destroyer also helped, because good lord that thing got buffed so much from ME2. One direct blast and a Super Grenade (tm) was wiping out phantoms on gold.

Got another N7 class, the...N7 Fury again. :smith: I guess I can't complain about getting it more than once for the options since it is my most-used class. Got the Disciple too though, as I'm getting tons of new weapons but almost no upgrades for them. I suppose it's better to get the options first and upgrades later. Haven't tried it yet but I have seen it showing up in the kill list a decent amount so I'm hopeful.

What I also saw showing up in the kill list tonight was QFI [Turret] Phantom a lot. I may need to try that class again and just ignore sticky grenade because I think I really misjudged Sabotage. This person was just obliterating everything with hacked turrets and Atlases.

• Locked thread