Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

There is no loving way that this movie was made in 2003. It looks like late-80s/early-90s in everything from the CGI to the clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Red Letter Media did a review of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBVkALepgho. It seriously looks like something someone shot at home and somehow got widely distributed. Holy poo poo.

Roger Corman was the distributor, apparently.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Except where it was made by his production company.

Edit: Beaten.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Is Roger Corman still alive?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I have a huge image file version of this I uprezzed and cleaned up to get printed for a friend, looked indistinguishable from a 'real' poster - will stick a public Dropbox folder up after work :)

Sorry, I meant I was thinking about buying that or other ones from a person on ebay, but I'm weary what the quality is like. Wondering if anyone has had any experience buying reproduction posters off ebay.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

You mean you're wary. Weary means you're tired :eng101:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Vagabundo posted:

Yes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vagabundo posted:

yeah I saw Sharkoctopus, it was so much fun, is Pirahaconda good as well, I missed it. :(

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mister Chief posted:

Except where it was made by his production company.

Edit: Beaten.
Corman's company was the distributor. He had no creative input whatsoever in the film. He might not have even known this film existed.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The directors commentary specifically says that the film was made at the behest of Roger Corman because he wanted to test out filming a feature on digital video.

Did you loving direct that piece of poo poo or something? Why do you care so much?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There are lots of golden moments in Flyin' Ryan, but my favorite part has to be where he foils some bullies by tossing some tennis balls in a gazebo.

Edit: If you want to learn more about this movie, see this thread dedicated to lovely DVD movies.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 1, 2012

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

^^This blew my mind.

Mister Chief posted:

Did you loving direct that piece of poo poo or something? Why do you care so much?

He is Flyin' Ryan.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

There are lots of golden moments in Flyin' Ryan, but my favorite part has to be where he foils some bullies by tossing some tennis balls in a gazebo.

We should really have a thread about the bizarre VHS tapes we found in the video store as youths. Flyin Ryan was a constant joke amongst my friends and I, but I never knew it was this bad.

Then again, most of my time at that store was spent renting Shaw Brothers films, so I did okay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm torn. The classic poster is vague and mysterious, while this poster actually shows what makes this film worth seeing.

The classic poster is about thirty billion times better than that piece of poo poo, even before you consider that said POS gives away both the money shot and the big surprise of the movie.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

Baron Bifford posted:

I thought you guys were joking but everything about that clip screams 90's Nickelodeon. The hair, the clothes, the stereotypes, the horrible VHS style quality picture... This was all intentional right?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Oh holy poo poo, way back two of my school friends said that we had to come over to one of their houses so I could watch Flyin' Ryan because they found it in a bargain bin or something and it was amazing. I never did. :aaa: This is awful.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Robert Denby posted:

Say you're a studio. You've got a big fall movie, big names, some Oscar potential, and a director with two solid productions under his belt. You've got to come up with a poster that'll put butts into seats.

:effort:

Try harder next time.

I like this a lot. It looks like an 80s paperback cover.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The only remotely interesting thing about Flyin' Ryan is Ryan's half-crazy grandmother. In this scene, Ryan thinks he hears a ghost outside his house at night, but instead runs into his grandmother, who taunts the child with her garden shears.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Um ninja out of nowhere?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Uncertain Frog posted:

I thought you guys were joking but everything about that clip screams 90's Nickelodeon. The hair, the clothes, the stereotypes, the horrible VHS style quality picture... This was all intentional right?

I love the bullies nicely asking the ATV girl to borrow her ATVs. I was fully expecting them to push her off and hop on. But, then, the camera pans back and you see there's two more ATVs. Then they put on their helmets.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This thread is getting derailed, so I've created a dedicated thread for lovely DVD movies. We should move the discussion of Flyin' Ryan there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like this.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
The international poster for 'Killing Them Softly':

I like it, even with the floating heads. The colour-scheme especially is somehow eye-catching even if it's mostly shades of grey. Kind of Cop Landish.

But I have to ask, what is wrong with Liotta's face? drat, son.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

James Woods has very kissable lips.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Kush posted:

The international poster for 'Killing Them Softly':

I like it, even with the floating heads. The colour-scheme especially is somehow eye-catching even if it's mostly shades of grey. Kind of Cop Landish.

Richard Jenkins is becoming Bryan Cranston. Good career move.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sheldrake posted:

Richard Jenkins is becoming Bryan Cranston. Good career move.

I honestly thought it was Matthew Fox in old-guy makeup for a second.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kush posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but it's been happening for years.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
He has horrible acne scars and got fat.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Agreed. I like this a lot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The only thing I see in that Videodrome poster is a giant woman standing behind the TV set and she pushed her gun hand through the screen to shoot someone. Like she was inside TV the whole time, waiting to ambush.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I always liked the criterion collection version. I would actually go so far as to say it's the reason why I was interested in watching the movie in the first place.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

I always liked the criterion collection version. I would actually go so far as to say it's the reason why I was interested in watching the movie in the first place.

I've yet to see it. I guess I better got on it.

And, yes, this poster is also great.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jasta posted:

I've yet to see it. I guess I better got on it.

And, yes, this poster is also great.

It's the slipcover. The physical case of the DVD is meant to look like a Betamax tape.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just picked up the Videodrome Criterion DVD at CD Exchange for 9 bucks on Monday. Its awesome. The cashier guy said it had just come in and he planned to buy it in a few days but not anymore. He was pissed.

e: maybe pissed is too strong a word but he was certainly annoyed. He looked at me as I was leaving like "you motherfucker."

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Am I the only person who finds it odd when someone says just just bought something on DVD?

Cacator posted:

It's the slipcover. The physical case of the DVD is meant to look like a Betamax tape.

Is that a Japanese configuration?

I actually really hate Criterion because they region lock all of their releases.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Baron Bifford posted:

Flyin' Ryan kind of owns, dude. He was the man all the ladies wanted to be with before Justin Beaver.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Clich for largeness, nice detailed poster

Cool poster for Romero getting away from walking dead people :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeWMtvoSBx0

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mister Chief posted:

Am I the only person who finds it odd when someone says just just bought something on DVD?
What else would he buy it on? Is it out on Bluray?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Iacen posted:

What else would he buy it on? Is it out on Bluray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Cacator posted:

Hnnggg I need this now.