Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Put premiums every third card, starting with the first one. That way, it's the first card in a sleight so you'd lose it anyway

I noticed that premiums will still reload if used as the second or third card in a sleight, too. I've taken to sticking high-value premiums onto the end of two-card sleights (Friend card sleights and such) for better penetration. Of course, I wouldn't need to worry so much about scrimping premium cards if I ever found a hi-potion card with a higher power than 3 :argh:

Also, are Moment's Reprieve room cards good for anything? It's cool to be able to make a save point, but I can just go back to the Castle Oblivion foyer at the start of each floor if I want to save, can't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think going back to the foyer makes the heartless respawn.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Doesn't it make the entire floor reset?

Plus, you get free Moogle Points from all the stuff in the room. I usually make them before boss rooms.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I've not seen that it triggers a heartless respawn, no; last time I was playing I left Monstro halfway through and returned to the savepoint in the entrance hall, saved, and quit. When I started the game again, all the rooms were as I had left them, cleared of heartless and all destroyable objects except the acid sprayers (I hadn't yet figured out that I could break them).

Now, going to a different floor altogether and trying to return appears to reset the floor, but otherwise, I never need a Moment's Reprieve card to save my game. I'll try farming Moment's Reprieves for extra moogle points, though, if it feels like I could use them. Currently I just dump a pile of calm bounty cards on an empty room whenever I'm running low on space, and I'm hoarding up meeting grounds with the intention of returning to Agrabah and abusing the gently caress out of Aladdin for additional MP.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
In my play of Re:CoM I've been using Moment's Reprieve when I just can't be arsed fighting through a room and want to get done with a floor, other than that I haven't noticed any respawning of heartless when I go back to the save point in the corridor. They only seem to spawn when I use a map card to recreate a room.

Jesus christ Aladdin that's twice in one game and three times so far I've seen you blow a wish on a small pack of heartless, what's the matter with you?

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 29, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I busted open my first Room of Rewards (in Hollow Bastion) and all that was in it was a Mushu. A level two Mushu. :stare:

Are these just calm bounty rooms that eat all your map cards before they let you in?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I busted open my first Room of Rewards (in Hollow Bastion) and all that was in it was a Mushu. A level two Mushu. :stare:

Are these just calm bounty rooms that eat all your map cards before they let you in?

I think they unlock cards for finding/buying, and since most of the cards you get for the first time are terrible in terms of card numbers you shouldn't be too worried.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just got the significance behind Riku's taunt when he faces the Anti-Black Coat Nightmare near the end of the game.

He's Sora's Spirit Dream Eater, of course he's literally what nightmares fear. (Or in Japanese version, he actually says 'I'll swallow you whole')

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Check it, real life Master Xehanort:

http://thedailywhat.tumblr.com/post/30540526244/say-what-now-of-the-day-this-is-father-benedict

Unsurprisingly just as twisted as his game counterpart.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

LemonLimeTime posted:

Check it, real life Master Xehanort:

drat, the plot to KH3 got dark.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm playing through kh1 again and I'm stuck on 100 Acre Wood of all places. I can see your tail Eeyore, why do I have to keep swinging Pooh for over 2 hours.

Edit: goddamn. I figured it out. You have to hit the button at the top of owl's flap and wait an absurd amount of time for the animation to start. What a stupid decision, Square.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 31, 2012

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

quote:

I've been having these weird thoughts lately... Like, is any of this for real, or not?

Dear God, last night I had a dream in which not one, but two separate Seth McFarlane series had their own Kingdom Hearts worlds. And, to be quite honest, I loved them. I realize the probability of Seth-inspired worlds entering the KH universe is low but... at least a few non-Disney things might spice up the flavor -- give me a few weird surprises along my journey.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I think Room of Reward contains a unique card that, upon getting in the Room, becomes a normal drop from enemies. So you can't find any Mushu cards in the game until you find it in its Room of Reward.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I think Room of Reward contains a unique card that, upon getting in the Room, becomes a normal drop from enemies. So you can't find any Mushu cards in the game until you find it in its Room of Reward.

Yeah, I think I'm seeing how that works now. It's a bit off-putting that I have to check a guide to see which Rooms of Rewards are worth cracking open (Olympus Coliseum's had a Metal Chocobo; Atlantica only gave me a sleight) but I'll get them all open eventually anyway. :)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

loving portal glitch, it's telling me that Riku has a new portal in Prankster's Paradise but it isn't showing up. And getting Brilliant and Prickley fantasies takes forever, I just want superglide drat it :argh:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Managed to beat Reverse/Rebirth in Re:CoM. Riku Replica was a complete rear end in a top hat to beat but Ansem ended up quite easy thanks to liberal abuse of card duels. One thing I really like about the game was that it finally gave me some context to Riku and Mickey's friendship, before now having only played 1 and 2 it seemed a bit odd in the ending of 2 when Sora and Riku get home and you have Riku swinging Mickey around, but now I get it. Their friendship is pretty much the same as Sora, Donald and Goofy's; it just doesn't get very much screen time in the 'main' games so if you didn't play CoM you don't really see it.

Speaking of main games, running the english patch for 2 Final Mix now. Time for some "Press triangle: destroy everything."

edit: except apparently the patch failed, time for some aggravation figuring it out

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 1, 2012

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I do hope they make an HD rerelease of the final mixes in the States.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They better loving do HD re-releases of the Final Mixes in the states. It would be a fantastic promotion for Kingdom Hearts III to let people catch up on KHFM, RE:Chain, KHIIFM, and BBSFM

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'd be happy just to have Birth By Sleep on PSN so I can play it on my Vita. :negative:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They better loving do HD re-releases of the Final Mixes in the states. It would be a fantastic promotion for Kingdom Hearts III to let people catch up on KHFM, RE:Chain, KHIIFM, and BBSFM

There is some part of me that believes Nomura planned this whole Final Mix thing from the start.

Nomura: "Okay, so we're going to make new editions of KH for Japan only."
Intern: "But Nomura-San, we have a larger fanbase in the West, wouldn't it be more marketable to sell them there as well."
Nomura: "I'M GETTING TO THAT! Then in 10+ years time, we're going to re-release them IN THE WEST! Huh? Huh? Genius, right?"
New Intern: "But Nomura-Sama, by then people will have stopped caring about Kingdom Hearts, right? And even if they haven't our games will be massively outdated."
Nomura: "HA! That's what you think! I'm sure in 10 years time, we will have ways to redistribute the games without having to actually make them into discs!"
New New Intern: "Great idea, Nomura-Dono!"
Nomura: "Yes. NOW BRING ME MY BRUSH AND PEN! I'm going to write and draw characters for not-KH3 like I did with Kingdom Hearts 2."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was reading that by the time KHIIFM came out, Birth By Sleep was already like 70% finished. But then it got caught up in development hell and ended up on the PSP.

EDIT: So the timeline of when Nomura wrote this crazy poo poo is getting even more interesting

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 1, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just... loving put more DISNEY into the story of this DISNEY crossover game. I don't think there's even a Disney character mentioned in any of the spoiler bar posts recently.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Macaluso posted:

Just... loving put more DISNEY into the story of this DISNEY crossover game. I don't think there's even a Disney character mentioned in any of the spoiler bar posts recently.

Malificent turns up now and again. She was after some data disk from the mobile game I think, I can't remember why.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

loving portal glitch, it's telling me that Riku has a new portal in Prankster's Paradise but it isn't showing up. And getting Brilliant and Prickley fantasies takes forever, I just want superglide drat it :argh:

Scan it, kill it off, rescan it, repeat. Easiest way to get Brilliant Fantasies.

MadiTC
May 31, 2011

Terper posted:

Scan it, kill it off, rescan it, repeat. Easiest way to get Brilliant Fantasies.

Wait you can kill your Dream Eaters? :psyduck:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MadiTC posted:

Wait you can kill your Dream Eaters? :psyduck:

If they get killed off in battle, and you wait out the 30 seconds before reviving them, they die and leave behind material.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

ActionZero posted:

Managed to beat Reverse/Rebirth in Re:CoM. Riku Replica was a complete rear end in a top hat to beat but Ansem ended up quite easy thanks to liberal abuse of card duels. One thing I really like about the game was that it finally gave me some context to Riku and Mickey's friendship, before now having only played 1 and 2 it seemed a bit odd in the ending of 2 when Sora and Riku get home and you have Riku swinging Mickey around, but now I get it. Their friendship is pretty much the same as Sora, Donald and Goofy's; it just doesn't get very much screen time in the 'main' games so if you didn't play CoM you don't really see it.

The novels actually have some additional scenes of Riku and Mickey when they first meet in the Dark Realm at the end of KH1, and you can see it was basically frienship at first-sight. Those books have a lot of nice stuff like that (ex: the start of KH1 from Riku's point of view, how Vanitas was before going insane, etc.), I wish they would get official translations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Black Feather posted:

how Vanitas was before going insane
H-huh? :psyduck: Vanitas is literally a blob of darkness, isn't he? When was he not insane?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Terper posted:

gently caress you, I spent good time maxing out my Kab Kannon, I don't wanna kill him! Plus that will reset his affection level.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Terper posted:

H-huh? :psyduck: Vanitas is literally a blob of darkness, isn't he? When was he not insane?

Basically three things:

Vanitas is permanently connected to Ventus, so he gets to feel all the love and friendship Eraqus, Terra and Aqua are showering on him while his 'Master' is basically putting him through training from hell.

Vanitas cannot control the creation of his Unversed. They spawn from him whenever he feels strong emotion, so Xehanort basically ensured he would be feeling resentment and anger 24/7 to spawn more Unversed. Furthermore, whenever any Unversed are destroyed, he feels their pain and anger.

Like the Nobodies, Vanitas is constantly feeling the ache of being an incomplete being. Hence why he really wants to recombine with Ventus.

That aside, I assume the standard way of grinding Fantasies is to keep doing Link Portals? Brilliant and Prickly Fantasies included?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

90% of the game is Disney characters, it's just that there isn't a lot to discuss there because they mimic the plot of whatever movie they're in.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Near to the end of Re:CoM and torn on whether to continue on Reverse/Rebirth or jump right to Kingdom Hearts II. I'll probably miss my deck-building, though, if I go with Reverse/Rebirth.

Playing a mage deck is inefficient, impractical, unreliable, and fun as hell. Firaga Burst doesn't seem like it should be useful against bosses, but trap Larxene in a corner and pointblank her with it, and goddamn

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pureauthor posted:

Basically three things:

Vanitas is permanently connected to Ventus, so he gets to feel all the love and friendship Eraqus, Terra and Aqua are showering on him while his 'Master' is basically putting him through training from hell.

Vanitas cannot control the creation of his Unversed. They spawn from him whenever he feels strong emotion, so Xehanort basically ensured he would be feeling resentment and anger 24/7 to spawn more Unversed. Furthermore, whenever any Unversed are destroyed, he feels their pain and anger.

Like the Nobodies, Vanitas is constantly feeling the ache of being an incomplete being. Hence why he really wants to recombine with Ventus.

That aside, I assume the standard way of grinding Fantasies is to keep doing Link Portals? Brilliant and Prickly Fantasies included?

Brilliant Fantasies show up only in Riku's special portals in the last world and I think special portal 6 of Symphony. Prickly only show up in Sora's special portals 4, 5, 6 of I think musketeers and Symphony.

Also that certainly is a thing about Vanitas

Edit: if you skip Reverse/Rebirth you're skipping half the game and half the plot. Why would you do that?

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

There is some part of me that believes Nomura planned this whole Final Mix thing from the start.

Nomura: "Okay, so we're going to make new editions of KH for Japan only."
Intern: "But Nomura-San, we have a larger fanbase in the West, wouldn't it be more marketable to sell them there as well."
Nomura: "I'M GETTING TO THAT! Then in 10+ years time, we're going to re-release them IN THE WEST! Huh? Huh? Genius, right?"
New Intern: "But Nomura-Sama, by then people will have stopped caring about Kingdom Hearts, right? And even if they haven't our games will be massively outdated."
Nomura: "HA! That's what you think! I'm sure in 10 years time, we will have ways to redistribute the games without having to actually make them into discs!"
New New Intern: "Great idea, Nomura-Dono!"
Nomura: "Yes. NOW BRING ME MY BRUSH AND PEN! I'm going to write and draw characters for not-KH3 like I did with Kingdom Hearts 2."

Haha this is a great post. Nomura-san, I love you, but you're bringing the fandom down!

Weird question since there's still so much Disney stuff they haven't touched, but... What world would you most like to see them bring back? With certain ones like Pinocchio, and Nightmare before Christmas, and Peter Pan, they've revisited movies that they didn't do justice to the first time. I would love to see Lion King get another go -- With more music from the movie this time! :mufasa:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Skylark posted:

I would love to see Lion King get another go -- With more music from the movie this time! :mufasa:

The Lion King stage in KHII is proof that Nomura gets all his ideas from DeviantArt. Lion-Sora was the stuff of nightmares.

Fun fact: Originally Sora was going to be half-lion. There's concept art of it floating around somewhere.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well obviously we need some more Aladdin :v:

Seriously though, in KH3 besides brand new worlds (my top being Tangled), I'd love to see them bring back places in the handheld games that I never got to enjoy. I'd love a fully fleshed out Lilo & Stitch world set in Hawaii for instance. I dunno about bringing back The Lion King. I would want them to completely avoid The Lion King 2 and I try to forget that movie exists.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

The Lion King stage in KHII is proof that Nomura gets all his ideas from DeviantArt. Lion-Sora was the stuff of nightmares.

Fun fact: Originally Sora was going to be half-lion. There's concept art of it floating around somewhere.

Kingdom Hearts: Otherkin edition

Translation is: "Did you hear? Nomura is a closet furry.
:unsmigghh:

He also approved this horrifying thing:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 1, 2012

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Maybe he's a lion.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Maybe he's a lion.

:lol:

Speaking of which, bring those mother fuckers from Final Fantasy back. Also, put a couple dudes from like XIII in it. Snow and Seifer have a doppelgänger showdown!!! They loving love Lightning, so I wouldn't be shocked to see her make an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They should bring back Port Royal. Barbossa was cool, but I wanna whoop Davey Jones' butt!

Also, I beat Phantom for the first time and he didn't cast Doom once. It was so weird.