Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

revmoo posted:

Holy poo poo I'm buying that. I'll wire it to a button and keep my existing horn. That is bad-rear end.
Eh, I dunno, doesn't seem so awesome in practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmdHAAadD7M&t=26s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radioactivelego
Jun 1, 2004

only in the CPT
Motherfucking Smoke Wizard.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never had a problem with my craftsman ratchets or sockets. Husky is pretty good for sockets too, but I can't get more than 3 uses out of their ratchets before they break, even if I don't forget them outside.

edit: IMO, socket brand really only matters below about 1/2" or 13mm. I've never rounded a bolt larger than that even using the crummiest of chinese sockets, but once you get below there, fit and finish actually start mattering, for instance I've rounded off 5/16" bolts simply by using a crummy 12 point when I should have used a good 6 point socket. That made for a long and terrible day pulling a driveshaft.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 30, 2012

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PBCrunch posted:

I do a pretty good amount of work and I usually use Harbor Freight sockets with Snap-On Dual 80 ratchets. If you are going to have one really nice ratchet it should be 1/4" drive. If you are going to have two, get 1/4" and 3/8". Bonus points for flex heads.

This is the best way. Snap-on dual 80 ratchet, whatever sockets. I use 3/8 sockets more than anything though, so I have the 3/8 dual 80. Gear wrench wrenches, with assorted mostly craftsman misc combo wrenches to fill in the gaps. That'll cover 90% of everything.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have been super pleased with my composite 3/8 ratchet from HF. The ratchet action is pretty good, and so far, it has worked well as a hammer too.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have been super pleased with my composite 3/8 ratchet from HF. The ratchet action is pretty good, and so far, it has worked well as a hammer too.

I picked up the composite Pittsburgh ratchet a few months back, and I've been very happy with it for the price. I have nicked up the casing in a few spots, and the color has worn off the grip, but it still ratchets as nicely as it did even after almost daily use for the last 3-4 months. Even if I replace it yearly, it's still dirt cheap compared to one of the Snap-On ratchets.

I'm probably going to grab one of the 1/4" ratchets next time I'm there, since my Craftsman ones have both broken. The ball detent that holds the socket on both has broken internally, even on the one I just exchanged in April.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Raluek posted:

This is the best way. Snap-on dual 80 ratchet, whatever sockets. I use 3/8 sockets more than anything though, so I have the 3/8 dual 80. Gear wrench wrenches, with assorted mostly craftsman misc combo wrenches to fill in the gaps. That'll cover 90% of everything.

Is 3/8 more popular than 1/4?

I bought a nice 1/4 set, but whenever I look for new sockets on Amazon/ebay, they tend to be in 3/8.

Or is just that the lovely end of the market has picked 3/8?

(I guess there's no harm in buying an adaptor set, anyway)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
3/8 is way more common, used for almost everything... large/high torque fasteners get 1/2 or even 3/4 or 1" in some applications, while smaller fasteners with limited working space can often get away with using a 1/4" ratchet.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A 1/4 head is pretty easy to shear off in a lot of applications. I wouldn't consider using one to apply serious force on anything bigger than 14mm or so.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I only use 1/4" for <10mm sockets because they don't seem to come in 3/8", but that's not a very routine occurance anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've got a very chunky full set of 1/2 that could deconstruct the Eiffel Tower. (Inherited tools are the best)

I backed it up with a small set of 1/2 to keep in the car.

Both have the smallest sizes as 10 / 12 /14mm and I seemed to encounter a lot of 6/8/9/13mm bolts, so I invested in a complimentary set of 1/4 for everything under 14mm

Now I need a T50 Torx to undo my seat runners.

I don't know whether to get the cheap single bit (8mm hex)£3

The fancy set in 1/2 £6.80
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15pc-Star-Torx-Male-E-Bit-Socket-Set-Storage-Case-T20-T25-T30-T40-T45-T50-T55-/280756008987

Or maybe an adaptor to 3/8 and get the socket variations: £8 + 1/4-3/8-1/2 adaptors
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TORX-STAR-SOCKET-SET-10-T15-T20-T25-T30-T40-T45-T50-T55-/180635630698

Hopefully, it is a job I only need to do once, so spending less makes sense. On the other hand, buying better makes sense in the long run

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I picked this set up a couple years ago and so far it has done everything I have needed it too. Biggest issue I have run into is that I bought a 1/2" breaker bar which leaves the weakspot at the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter since all my drat sockets are 3/8". Haven't broken anything yet and I'm dealing with a 55 year old car.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-94-pc-dual-marked-mechanics-tool-set/p-00939094000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

spog posted:

Hopefully, it is a job I only need to do once, so spending less makes sense. On the other hand, buying better makes sense in the long run

The rest of those suck. This is the best choice. I know it sucks spending the cash, but by the time you shear off the rest of those, you will be happy to have these.

I tried doing it the other way and it just ends up in frustration.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The rest of those suck. This is the best choice. I know it sucks spending the cash, but by the time you shear off the rest of those, you will be happy to have these.

I tried doing it the other way and it just ends up in frustration.

I disagree; those suck too, especially for something nasty like a seatbelt bolt. Find a set of impact Torx sockets, they're indestructible.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Splizwarf posted:

I disagree; those suck too, especially for something nasty like a seatbelt bolt. Find a set of impact Torx sockets, they're indestructible.

This, I broke the bit piece free on a cheap Allen key socket. For small bolts you'll be fine with whatever, I'd upgrade if you deal with anything larger.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Okay, you've got me suitable concerned as I damned sure don't want the bit breaking while I am trying to unbolt the driver's seat.

Do you recommend something like this impact screwdriver bit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-66...=item415815bfcd

Or this impact socket (which would require me to get a set of adaptors to 3/8 to use it -though I suppose that buying a 3/8 ratchet wouldn't be much more expensive):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMPACT-STAR-TORX-BIT-3-8-DRIVE-T50-/160680594036?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item25694f4a74

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

spog posted:

Do you recommend something like this impact screwdriver bit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-66...=item415815bfcd

Or this impact socket (which would require me to get a set of adaptors to 3/8 to use it -though I suppose that buying a 3/8 ratchet wouldn't be much more expensive):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMPACT-STAR-TORX-BIT-3-8-DRIVE-T50-/160680594036?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item25694f4a74

I was recommending the second one, a single solid casting that mounts to a ratchet wrench.

Protip: if you have a suitable impact-grade socket extension for it, you can hammer (minisledge) those bits straight into things like cammed-out Philips and Allen stuff, as well as wrecked Torx stuff (use the next larger size). So satisfying that the effectiveness is a bonus!

e: you should be able to find those in a set ala

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-27200-Torx-Bit-Set/dp/B0002NYBZU/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

Not sure if Lisle's sold in the UK.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 30, 2012

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Lots of seat and seat belt bolts are actually T47. T45 or maybe T50 might fit, but the T47 is a superior fit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

Lots of seat and seat belt bolts are actually T47. T45 or maybe T50 might fit, but the T47 is a superior fit.

Thanks for putting doubt in my mind.....as it turns out that it's not actually a T50, but a ribes bolt.

T50 fits, but it is a little loose. I'd rather not have a 'near enough' for a bolt that's supposed to be a sod to get out and is also rather important for preservation of life.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Went to Sears today and saw that Gear Wrench is 50% off. I might get some...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phone posted:

Went to Sears today and saw that Gear Wrench is 50% off. I might get some...

If you don't have any now.....DO IT. They will make your wrenching so much easier.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Trouble is the Sears sets are incomplete. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Trouble is the Sears sets are incomplete. :(

Really? I have one that I got several years ago and it's 8 to 18mm with no gaps.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008
I wish I had an adorable 5.5mm gear wrench. I would use this wrench.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Holy crap, I wish I knew about this poo poo. Would have made all the frustration go away!

Oh and I am swinging by Sears first thing tomorrow for more Gear Wrench poo poo. I love ratcheting wrenches. I often find myself grabbing those first if I can use them for the particular job.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

Really? I have one that I got several years ago and it's 8 to 18mm with no gaps.

Sounds like you're missing the 19mm that came with mine. :smug:

Seriously, though, I've never once needed an 18 that I can remember but the 19 sees a lot of use. However, I wasn't talking about an almost-complete set like yours: my local Sears only carries 6-wrench sets. Not sure what's missing, haven't been there in a while.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
One of my most-used tools is a 1/4" PLASTIC ratchet I got from Harbor Freight. I think it was this very thread I found it in. 72 teeth. The switch doesn't move on its own.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/1-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-composite-ratchet-66312.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/10-piece-color-coded-14-drive-deep-wall-sae-socket-set-67865.html

All I do is install batteries at a parts store. A lot of dealing with corrosion on small bolts and terminals. I preferred the plastic one so I don't have to worry about shorting as much - as I do many battery installs with an auxiliary battery connected to preserve computer settings.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Seriously, though, I've never once needed an 18 that I can remember but the 19 sees a lot of use. However, I wasn't talking about an almost-complete set like yours: my local Sears only carries 6-wrench sets. Not sure what's missing, haven't been there in a while.

Euro designed cars have weird sizes. 16mm and 18mm were somewhat common on the first gen Focus.

I like the Japanese autos that are almost completely disassembled with 8mm/10mm/12mm/14mm/17mm/19mm

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Sockington posted:

Euro designed cars have weird sizes. 16mm and 18mm were somewhat common on the first gen Focus.

I like the Japanese autos that are almost completely disassembled with 8mm/10mm/12mm/14mm/17mm/19mm
Your autos are almost completely disassembled with rust.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
drat dude, POR15 burn!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah....that was super annoying and I bought one separate less than a week after getting the set. SO CLOSE to being a good set. But at least it's not a bunch of weird gaps between sizes.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

veedubfreak posted:

I've had this one for a few years http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-2.5-Ton-Low-Pro-Jack/14560042 . It doesn't do much other than lift the car long enough to change summers to snows and move my bug around. Comes with a case too which is pretty cool, and has room in the case for a foldup 4way. Had to get the low profile one because my last car only had like 4 inches of clearance.
Bought this one, used it for 2 projects, and a week later it's broken, and drops at a rate of about an inch a minute :(

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

Your autos are almost completely disassembled with rust.

2010 Mazda 5 oil sprayed when new.
2006 Impreza with basic undercarriage surface rust
2002 Miata with no rust and oil sprayed
1991 Mazda 323 from North Carolina
1985 Toyota MR2 from California.

Sick burn :jerkbag:. I bought clean shells to work with.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

penis bandana posted:

I wish I had an adorable 5.5mm gear wrench. I would use this wrench.

I have one (might be 4mm). It's hilarious.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

0toShifty posted:

One of my most-used tools is a 1/4" PLASTIC ratchet I got from Harbor Freight. I think it was this very thread I found it in. 72 teeth. The switch doesn't move on its own.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/1-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-composite-ratchet-66312.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/10-piece-color-coded-14-drive-deep-wall-sae-socket-set-67865.html

All I do is install batteries at a parts store. A lot of dealing with corrosion on small bolts and terminals. I preferred the plastic one so I don't have to worry about shorting as much - as I do many battery installs with an auxiliary battery connected to preserve computer settings.

Its not plastic, under the plastic and rubber overmold is metal.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
My local Harbor Freight has an interesting policy.

They've got on the receipts that all defective items must be returned within 90 days. Hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

I was polite, and got an exchange for my 16 piece metric set (off the website) that I bought in 2011, but the manager told the employee to not do it in the future for anything dated over 90 days.

I pulled the manager aside and politely inquired what 'lifetime' meant. He said I'd have to ship it back to corporate. I suggested that the expense, if bought in the store, should then be incurred by that store, and he mentioned that there were already litigations regarding this.

Take this $4 socket set and replace it, or I'll make you eat it. :colbert:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

General Managers are the worst things about retail stores.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Viggen posted:

My local Harbor Freight has an interesting policy.

They've got on the receipts that all defective items must be returned within 90 days. Hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

I was polite, and got an exchange for my 16 piece metric set (off the website) that I bought in 2011, but the manager told the employee to not do it in the future for anything dated over 90 days.

I pulled the manager aside and politely inquired what 'lifetime' meant. He said I'd have to ship it back to corporate. I suggested that the expense, if bought in the store, should then be incurred by that store, and he mentioned that there were already litigations regarding this.

Take this $4 socket set and replace it, or I'll make you eat it. :colbert:

they told me the same thing about my 2 ton chainfall that had the brake fail and wouldn't hold things up anymore. I'm just glad I didn't find that out by dying under the 500lb engine I was lifting at the time.

Hell with HF, I've been a supporter of theirs for a while but I refuse to buy lovely second rate tools without a proper warranty to back them up.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My rule of thumb is if I've used it enough to break it, I should buy a better quality piece anyway. That said, I don't think I've broken hardly anything from HF that wasn't "disposable" anyway (sacrificial screwdrivers and such), so maybe I'm just really careful about picking what I can get cheap, versus what I should buy quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

PitViper posted:

My rule of thumb is if I've used it enough to break it, I should buy a better quality piece anyway. That said, I don't think I've broken hardly anything from HF that wasn't "disposable" anyway (sacrificial screwdrivers and such), so maybe I'm just really careful about picking what I can get cheap, versus what I should buy quality.

So lifetime warranty means '30 ft-lbs', or '500 ft-lbs'? FWIW the bolt that broke it was a slightly rusty bolt that held a switch onto a transmission on a 15 year old car. None of the rust was beneath the surface.