Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Things have been a little quiet from SgtMarkIV concerning Brutal Doom .17 lately, but he recently threw up this nice little image to show off one of many new animations to show up in the next version:

And yes, that is a separate death animation for headshotting a zombieman with your fists, complete with missing jaw and flying teeth gibs. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of WIP stuff:

1.) Interceptor Entertainment have started doing Developer Blogs for the ROTT reboot. This one goes into making levels using one of the old 90-degree-angles-only ROTT maps as a reference. It also has a time-lapse video with another funky cover of the original DOS soundtrack.

2.) So that WHOIS John Galt doesn't yell at me again like the JERK he is (:haw:), I've been posting on the ZDoom forums Reelism thread about the new stuff I'm working on since it's quite a ways off. Keep an eye on the thread over there, because I don't feel comfortable with taking over this thread too much. v:shobon:v

3.) I checked PlanetQuake to see if they were up to anything, and they were advertising Skyrim nude mods. Oh, Gamespy...

4.) Some dude's making a stealth mod for Quake. It looks pretty neat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrW9c3TpXA

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Please tell me that Instant Discharge Cannon + Gunfinity makes the game crash for real.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

1.) Interceptor Entertainment have started doing Developer Blogs for the ROTT reboot. This one goes into making levels using one of the old 90-degree-angles-only ROTT maps as a reference. It also has a time-lapse video with another funky cover of the original DOS soundtrack.

On their QuakeCon 2012 panel video, around 12 minutes in, one of them brings up this pic everybody here probably knows:

... and says that's E1M1 from Doom. :o: (Spoilers: it's actually E1M6. E1M1's design is fairly simple, as befits an intro map.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ChickenHeart posted:

Things have been a little quiet from SgtMarkIV concerning Brutal Doom .17 lately, but he recently threw up this nice little image to show off one of many new animations to show up in the next version:

And yes, that is a separate death animation for headshotting a zombieman with your fists, complete with missing jaw and flying teeth gibs. I love it.

I know it's got some mixed reactions in this thread, but Brutal Doom has finally breathed enough life into the old girl for me that I've been able to play through it again lately. I don't think I've ever gone from :black101: to :suspense: so quickly.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Nifty. I was surprised at how well-put-together this looks for the beginnings of a Quake mod, but the dude working on it is "sock" who is familiar to folks who are up on Quake 3 mapping (and probably others too). He's got a website of personal projects that is fun to look through: http://simonoc.com/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Hahaha there's a Psychadelic Eyeball video in that post.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Oh hey, he used to work here. It was before my time but I thought his name was familiar. Looks cool so far!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I always loved the idea of monster infighting, and I'm really happy there's a mod that actually allows you to control it and instigate it easily.

My only complaint is that the player seems to be able to stand right in front of an enemy and they don't notice, I hope that's fixed.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I was wondering about that too.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

DrNutt posted:

I know it's got some mixed reactions in this thread, but Brutal Doom has finally breathed enough life into the old girl for me that I've been able to play through it again lately. I don't think I've ever gone from :black101: to :suspense: so quickly.

I decided to give Brutal Doom 0.16 a try with the Community Chest WAD, and I'm having a blast. It's struck a nice balance now, changing up the game but not feeling like a total conversion. Revenants and demons/spectres are a bit overpowered (avoiding the revenants' homing rockets can be a bitch) but everything else is balanced well, hard but not too hard. I'm not a big fan of the new sound bits for the human enemies, but it's just more incentive to kill them faster. The player taunts still sound too cheesy and the audio quality is still pretty crappy, but there's an easy fix: just replace all the flip-off voice clips with the Danny Glover clip from the older versions. There's nothing better than yelling "gently caress yourself" into a quiet room and waking up an army of monsters...

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/3/3288636/rise-of-the-triad-embraces-absurdity-at-pax-prime-2012

Cool article about the upcoming Rise of the Triad reboot/remake/thing.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Segmentation Fault posted:

My only complaint is that the player seems to be able to stand right in front of an enemy and they don't notice, I hope that's fixed.

the video comments explain that you have an item that actually gives you the ability to remain hidden in plain site, and the eye icons over their heads dictate if you're okay no move around them or you need to back away.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
I previously played through Scythe and now I'm playing through Scythe 2 with Brutal Doom. It's an awesome megawad, with some great level design that puts you in increasingly ridiculous situations, though I could do without the constant stream of revenant missiles tracking me from across the map, and the djinn are completely unfair. I'm playing on HMP and there was one point where I did not feel bad at all about IDDQD-ing through it; I think it was map 25 or 26, where you walk up into a small room and a Cyberdemon comes up through the floor directly in front of you. The door behind you shuts, and even if you sprint past the Cyberdemon you're in a tiny room filled with revenants, chaingunners, and a pain elemental. If you don't have BFG ammo you're basically hosed. It really is amazing how Brutal Doom gives everything a whole new "kinetic" feel.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

the video comments explain that you have an item that actually gives you the ability to remain hidden in plain site, and the eye icons over their heads dictate if you're okay no move around them or you need to back away.
I forget if the Ring of Shadows in Quake makes your weapon model disappear, or if the invisible face on the HUD is the only way you know you're invisible. Either way, if you can be hidden in plain site there needs to be some kind of feedback for the player to know that, as far as I could tell he was just standing in full sight with his crossbow out in a room with three guards and none of them cared.

This is an alpha though, so hopefully that'll be in when we get a finished product.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

bleedbackwards posted:

I previously played through Scythe and now I'm playing through Scythe 2 with Brutal Doom. It's an awesome megawad, with some great level design that puts you in increasingly ridiculous situations, though I could do without the constant stream of revenant missiles tracking me from across the map, and the djinn are completely unfair. I'm playing on HMP and there was one point where I did not feel bad at all about IDDQD-ing through it; I think it was map 25 or 26, where you walk up into a small room and a Cyberdemon comes up through the floor directly in front of you. The door behind you shuts, and even if you sprint past the Cyberdemon you're in a tiny room filled with revenants, chaingunners, and a pain elemental. If you don't have BFG ammo you're basically hosed. It really is amazing how Brutal Doom gives everything a whole new "kinetic" feel.

So you're playing one of the best megawads of all time and you'd rather just cheat your way through maps than turn off the big gameplay-changing mod?

Pearls before swine.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I kind of regret doing the taunts for Brutal Doom, because it seems like basically everyone hates them and I feel like I'm responsible for ruining a part of the game for everybody.

Also would you please just stop reading this thread or something Tiger Schwert? You really don't have to bitch and whine about your beautiful, untouched original Doom experience being ruined every time somebody mentions Brutal Doom. Unless you're possessed of empathy on an unprecedented level, I really fail to see how the way that other people play the game affects you in any way.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I kind of regret doing the taunts for Brutal Doom, because it seems like basically everyone hates them and I feel like I'm responsible for ruining a part of the game for everybody.
I thought your voicework fit perfectly with the over-the-top deathmetal quality the game exudes, distorted quality and all and I was gonna ask you over steam to give a friend of mine lessons on how to properly speak action one-liners in a non-monotone voice v:unsmith:v

Also I found a WIP of Brutal Doom .17 being played on a Skulltag server; the zombiemen voices are gone apart from the "prolonged, agonizing death" scream which I love so dear. And the BFG 10K is as ridiculous as it sounds, and kills everything (including you) in seconds as long as you have the ammo to spare.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ChickenHeart posted:

I thought your voicework fit perfectly with the over-the-top deathmetal quality the game exudes, distorted quality and all and I was gonna ask you over steam to give a friend of mine lessons on how to properly speak action one-liners in a non-monotone voice v:unsmith:v

Also I found a WIP of Brutal Doom .17 being played on a Skulltag server; the zombiemen voices are gone apart from the "prolonged, agonizing death" scream which I love so dear. And the BFG 10K is as ridiculous as it sounds, and kills everything (including you) in seconds as long as you have the ammo to spare.

Yeah, there are a number of improvements in the version 0.17 test, including restoring the original DB shotgun sound (instead of what I think is CS's AWP.) It wigs out on the newer versions of Zandronum, though. Like, it won't play at all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Personally, I had no problems with the voicework itself in the last version of Brutal Doom, but I thought it was played a little too loud, a little too high-pitched (distortion kicking in) and a tad too frequently to really work. It's mostly technical issues that could be fixed in post-production.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Dominic White posted:

Personally, I had no problems with the voicework itself in the last version of Brutal Doom, but I thought it was played a little too loud, a little too high-pitched (distortion kicking in) and a tad too frequently to really work. It's mostly technical issues that could be fixed in post-production.

Exactly. The problem isn't your voice work, it's how it's implemented in the game. I like the taunts, but they sound like crap because it's so distorted and high-pitched. 2 minutes worth of work in an audio editor would fix everything, but unfortunately it hasn't been done.

But to be perfectly honest... I prefer Danny Glover's "gently caress yourself" to yours. I mean, it's Danny Glover. The only person who could top it would be Clint Eastwood or Sam Elliott.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
The quality part I can definitely attest to. I did all the recording with a studio quality mic, but the stuff was a bit quiet for use in the Doom engine. All the volume increasing was done on SgtMarkIV's end, and I agree that he pushed it a little bit too far. I've posted my original source files in a couple places--here included, if I remember right--but nobody's come forward to try and make better versions of the clips.

It's nice to hear I was misinterpreting things for the most part, though. From the sound of things, I thought people hated the taunts altogether and it sucks as an actor to hear people don't like your work.

Also ChickenHeart I could maybe do that some time! I'd recommend trying me before the Halloween season hits off, though, since I work at a haunted house and my voice is going to go from Brutal Doomguy to Caleb from Blood in the course of a few weekends.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
CTD, I really really enjoy the voicework, but they are definitely too loud. I got some good laughs when the last version came out but I have a roommate now and don't feel comfortable blasting NIGHT TRAIN with everything else on normal volume. It's great they're user-controlled, although the hurt sound is unavoidable (unless you're pro :golgo:).

I wonder if the clips got blown out when SgtMark upped the volume so much and that's why they seem distorted. Never occurred to me I could try to edit them down myself, I'll look into that.
edit:
Wow, god, yeah, those things are a mess. How do I normalized audio? SgtMark is such a weird idiot savant. I don't suppose you held onto the original recordings?

ExMortis fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 6, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I kind of like the horribly clipped, blown out sound. I'd vote for taking the current messy clips and halving the volume.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Also would you please just stop reading this thread or something Tiger Schwert? You really don't have to bitch and whine about your beautiful, untouched original Doom experience being ruined every time somebody mentions Brutal Doom. Unless you're possessed of empathy on an unprecedented level, I really fail to see how the way that other people play the game affects you in any way.

I dunno, at least in this point Tiger Schwert is right. Brutal Doom makes the game significantly more difficult, there's not much argument against it, and Scythe 2 in particular is really rather difficult and over-the-top even in vanilla, but it's still balanced. BD adds a lot of monster abilities and changes values that can destabilize that balance.

When you play a megawad with Brutal Doom and complain about the difficulty or monster balance, it's usually BD's fault, not the wad's.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

ExMortis posted:

I don't suppose you held onto the original recordings?

Roughly twenty minutes of audio across two files. I've got MP3s up on Mediafire of the last two sessions, and I do still have the original WAV files if that makes a difference. Session two is mostly taunts and grunts, whereas three was something SgtMarkIV requested specifically, some extra death sounds and multiplayer-only voice clips.

Session Two
Session Three

The first session's somewhere else in this thread, but I don't think any of that is being used anymore since it was basically just me loving around and seeing what people thought of my voice acting.

Found this several pages back. Those links should still be good. And if for some reason you wanted to look at that first recording session, it's up on my Tindeck.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

When you play a megawad with Brutal Doom and complain about the difficulty or monster balance, it's usually BD's fault, not the wad's.

It seems like he'd rather cheat through a couple levels than play without Brutal Doom so who gives a poo poo. He definitely didn't sound like he was blaming the mapper, just idly complaining like human beings tend to do.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

You're not wrong, Tiger, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

I'm messing around with cutting the doomguy voice volume but I'm having trouble actually putting the files back into the PK3, 7zip is freaking out about duplicate filenames already present in there. Would it be better to start a new PK3 and just load it after brutaldoom16/whatever? I suppose that'd work, I don't know anything about this.

edit:
Oh cool Tony, I missed that you'd posted the originals in the first place.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Try using SLADE3 for editing PK3 files. It's the current standard for WAD/PK3/etc. editing. Using regular archive editors does tend to cause odd issues when working with them, so it's probably overall easier this way.

EDIT: So, I think I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely hated the new sounds for everything in Doom 64. Would anybody else be interested in a replacement DOOMSND.SF2 for Doom 64 EX that replaces all the sounds with their original counterparts? I'm working on one for myself but I'd be glad to share it once it's done if anyone is interested.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 6, 2012

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Well, I take back what I said about SgtMark, at least regarding audio. The real problem is Brutal Doom can get goddamn loud since the zombiemen change... but I like the zombiemen. Anyway, I cut down all the original distorted files by a bit (3db?) and the pain sounds by a bit more (5db). Not that much difference but I find it less jarring and you can still hear it over the din.
(edit: Has anyone ever actually heard the "chainsaw, the great communicator" line ingame? I assume it's supposed to be on pickup, but it doesn't seem to work for me.)

So here's this, I did end up just using 7zip but it works for me if I put it below brutaldoom in Zdoom Launcher.
http://www.mediafire.com/?hizimag4414cmzt

Since I had to sign up for mediafire anyway I went ahead and uploaded the Heretic music replacement for Dominic White et al:
http://www.mediafire.com/?o407ur6j3jtgb7t

Hide your Scythe, hide your kids, I'm planning to get into some Brutal Doom this weekend after burning out on Masters of Chaos. Nothin' against MOC, I think it's actually really well done, Heretic is just so bloody dull.

ExMortis fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 6, 2012

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Does anybody know why shadow warrior is not on gog? It is the last major build game I think and they have other apogee/3d realms titles. They even sell it themselves on their website so it can not be some licensing issues or something.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

EDIT: So, I think I'm in the minority here, but I absolutely hated the new sounds for everything in Doom 64. Would anybody else be interested in a replacement DOOMSND.SF2 for Doom 64 EX that replaces all the sounds with their original counterparts? I'm working on one for myself but I'd be glad to share it once it's done if anyone is interested.

Any chance you could include the original Doom music as well? It just doesn't feel like Doom without the metal soundtrack.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Any chance you could include the original Doom music as well? It just doesn't feel like Doom without the metal soundtrack.

I am actually considering making a version that would include that, though it'd be a little more complicated since I'd have to replace the bank of music sounds with generic instruments and make a custom PWAD with the MIDI files edited to work with the new sound bank. Also, I'm a stickler for music fitting the setting and I'd want to make sure all the tracks matched the levels they were in.

As it is, have the first version of my DOOMSND.SF2 file. To install this, just unpack it into your Doom64EX folder. You might want to make a backup of your original DOOMSND.SF2 first, just in case you decide you want the original sounds back. And if there are any weird glitches in this, let me know and I'll see if I can't fix them; I haven't gotten too far in my own Doom 64 playthrough so I haven't heard nearly all the replaced sounds to know if they all work properly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Brief update on the Blood update Jace Hall was talking about recently:

JaceHall posted:

I'm in the process of trying to figure this out with Atari. We will see how it goes.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ExMortis posted:

Since I had to sign up for mediafire anyway I went ahead and uploaded the Heretic music replacement for Dominic White et al:
http://www.mediafire.com/?o407ur6j3jtgb7t

Thanks, man. It's surprisingly hard to find these days.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Thanks, man. It's surprisingly hard to find these days.

Welcome.
Was playing 1994 Tuneup (which is hilarious+great because they left in all the stupid 1994 midis) and I realized I could still cut the doomguy sounds down more. I think this is it. This is the one. http://www.mediafire.com/?fbb638fb60af4c7

I think I was looking at the scripts Brutal uses to randomize the sounds, I might try to make a pack that adds some more original clips to the pool, because why not.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of all this voice stuff, I really need to get off my rear end and give the more talkative Reelism characters some more stuff to say now that I have a nice mic again.

ZDaemon got updated if you like mediocre multiplayer source ports based off of decade-old ZDoom versions (NO WIDESCREEN?!)

Here's an official FAQ on what versions of Doom 3 BFG have what. No word on a non-:files: PC version of No Rest For The Living yet, though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Here's an official FAQ on what versions of Doom 3 BFG have what. No word on a non-:files: PC version of No Rest For The Living yet, though.

Honestly for console gamers this sounds like a pretty great deal, especially considering the low retail price. For PC gamers, not so much.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Are there details on what BFG Edition has over vanilla? Or comparative screenshots? So far it doesn't sound like a great purchase for PC except for Lost Missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A month ago was lurking around and found somewhere that some weapons will include a built-in flashlight (basically a duct tape), better support for widescreen (like Quake 4 on steam) and with the source code release will be more mod friendly, as in total conversions work properly with RoE etc... This was from a random doom 3 modding forum so it might be not true but it seems plausible considering that they improved Quake 4 (a Raven game) a bit for its digital release.

I have Doom 3 both retail and steam version and I hope that there is an option to just upgrade to BFG edition because it would be stupid (even if it is not cheaper) to have Doom 3 + ROE and BFG edition separately.