Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

treeboy posted:

i just ordered this so hard.

edit: looks like they've got preorders up for The Emperor's Soul too.

Yeah I saw that as well. No release date yet, though I think Brandon said it would come out soon-ish. This is the one that is supposed to take place in a backwater country on the world of Elantris, but not really have anything to do with Elantris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cartoon Man posted:

Don't forget that August 31st is the release date for the exclusive leather hardback book for his new novella, Legion. Amazon has it up for pre-order here:
http://www.amazon.com/Legion-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/1596064854

Brandon said that an ebook version would be release on the same day as well.

gently caress yes, just pre-ordered that and Emperor's Soul.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 14, 2012

underscoremx
Apr 4, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Don't forget that August 31st is the release date for the exclusive leather hardback book for his new novella, Legion. Amazon has it up for pre-order here:
http://www.amazon.com/Legion-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/1596064854

Brandon said that an ebook version would be release on the same day as well.

I'm fairly sure the exclusive leather bound version is only available through subterranean press, and the amazon version will be a regular cloth bound hardcover.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I hope Subterranean does a release of Emperor's Soul as well.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

underscoremx posted:

I'm fairly sure the exclusive leather bound version is only available through subterranean press, and the amazon version will be a regular cloth bound hardcover.

Yes, thanks for the correction, I'd forgotten it was exclusive.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

underscoremx posted:

Yeah, and it's just the limited edition (which is sold out).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, and it's just the limited edition (which is sold out).

Thats definately good to see. Brandon said he liked working with them, so I'm sure this won't be the last.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Goddamnit.

After ASoIaF, The Gentleman Bastard, The Kingkiller Chronicles and The Malazan Book of the Fallen, I promised myself I wouldn't start another in-progress book series. The magnitude with which I have failed at this is, frankly, astonishing. On the megre bright side, I finally understand the Sanderson avalanche. It took me basically since TWoK came out to read it, not necessarily because I wasn't taken in, but because it took me in too slowly after the opening couple chapters. Those last hundred and fifty pages though, man. Funnily enough, Gardens of the Moon was a real slow burn as well, but I love the series now, so here's hoping The Stormligh Archives end up just as well off.

I can finally return to a decent reading pace, so I'm going to look into Mistborn next.

E: Holy gently caress has it really been more than two years? Surely not... :psyboom:

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 20, 2012

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Were any of you at GenCon this past weekend? Brandon had a booth set up and was signing books. I would've waited in line and just bought one of the books that was on the shelf but: A) I had packed days full of events, and had to be somewhere, and B) the line literally stretched from the front of the exhibit hall to the back of the exhibit hall that he was in.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

pakman posted:

Were any of you at GenCon this past weekend? Brandon had a booth set up and was signing books. I would've waited in line and just bought one of the books that was on the shelf but: A) I had packed days full of events, and had to be somewhere, and B) the line literally stretched from the front of the exhibit hall to the back of the exhibit hall that he was in.

Yea I was there, I heard the announcement over the PA and thought "hey cool" and headed in that direction. Then I saw the line :wth:

I went to a ToM signing in Cincinnati anyways, so I wasn't too worried about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, after finishing Way of Kings, I have no idea how he's going to stretch this into a 10 book epic, but I eagerly await what comes next.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Finally finished Elantris, god-drat that was painful.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kekekela posted:

Finally finished Elantris, god-drat that was painful.
I love it when I read posts like theses because I think "thank god it wasn't just me"

Such a slog to get the the Sanderlanche.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It wasn't even a very good one either, my impression was "Oh! The story can finally star... oh it's over."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phummus posted:

I finally finished book 3. It was a pretty satisfying ending. You're right, it was pretty telegraphed who the author of the lead-ins was. Is it worth reading The Alloy Of Law?

Just chiming in to say I've finished the Mistborn trilogy too, and thought the ending of the third book made up for any shortcomings the novels had (Sazed spent far too much of the last book moping around and in the second Zane was too cliched even for a book made entirely of cliches). I haven't read any of Sanderson's work before but it was really nice to read something like Mistborn coming off of what I typically read. Though, I read them specifically to get away from apocalyptic, post-apoc fiction, so, I guess I failed with that. I didn't know it was popular enough to warrant trying to make a movie and a video game (that's going for Demon's Souls, ffs), though. I'd read Alloy of Law but I heard it wasn't that great and I'm not a fan of steampunk anyway.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 26, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Just chiming in to say I've finished the Mistborn trilogy too, and thought the ending of the third book made up for any shortcomings the novels had (Sazed spent far too much of the last book moping around and in the second Zane was too cliched even for a book made entirely of cliches). I haven't read any of Sanderson's work before but it was really nice to read something like Mistborn coming off of what I typically read. Though, I read them specifically to get away from apocalyptic, post-apoc fiction, so, I guess I failed with that. I didn't know it was popular enough to warrant trying to make a movie and a video game (that's going for Demon's Souls, ffs), though. I'd read Alloy of Law but I heard it wasn't that great and I'm not a fan of steampunk anyway.

What? Alloy of Law is, quite possibly, the best of the entire series.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not steampunk like, at all. It just happens to be set in a time period where they have trains. Also, seconding this:

ConfusedUs posted:

What? Alloy of Law is, quite possibly, the best of the entire series.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Thirding. Allow of Law was better than the original Mistborn trilogy, by a good margin I'd say.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kwyndig posted:

It's not steampunk like, at all. It just happens to be set in a time period where they have trains.

Trains and bowler hats.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
It may have the best plot of the series in that world, but Alloy of Law does suffer from Sanderson-humor-syndrome.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Phummus posted:

It may have the best plot of the series in that world, but Alloy of Law does suffer from Sanderson-humor-syndrome.

Come on, you at least giggled a little at High Imperial.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Come on, you at least giggled a little at High Imperial.

That was amusing. The "banter" kind of stretched my patience though. It didn't feel like natural banter...more like a badly directed buddy cop movie scene most of the time.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I liked that Alloy of Law felt like a badly directed buddy cop movie.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'll disagree and say I liked the original trilogy more than Alloy of Law. I marathoned the trilogy, so my brain went into "skim until an awesome part shows up :downs:" mode that set my initial memories of the books to Awesome. I really enjoyed Alloy of Law as well, and I hope we get more stories from that time period before shooting up in time again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Phummus posted:

That was amusing. The "banter" kind of stretched my patience though. It didn't feel like natural banter...more like a badly directed buddy cop movie scene most of the time.

I kind of thought it was supposed to be that way.

At least I think I read an interview at some point where he meant it to be kind of a pulpy comic book kind of thing. I mean, even for a mormon, there was a lot in Alloy that seemed deliberately cheeseball.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

IRQ posted:

I kind of thought it was supposed to be that way.

At least I think I read an interview at some point where he meant it to be kind of a pulpy comic book kind of thing. I mean, even for a mormon, there was a lot in Alloy that seemed deliberately cheeseball.

I think it was deliberate too. I mean, come on, it was in fact two buddy cops, it doesn't get much more cliche than that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aggro posted:

I liked that Alloy of Law felt like a badly directed buddy cop movie.

I only wish it had been longer, although with what I don't know (maybe a better villain than literally a regenerator or something).

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Alloy of Law was a book he wrote to wind down from writing a serious book and then he finished and was like hey this is pretty good and published it. I feel like there's a ton of in-jokes with himself that only he would find funny (more so than other books) but the story is really good considering it was never intended to be a published work.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It literally started with him writing the ballroom shootout scene in a couple hours during a flight to a convention.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The two main character's names are puns. It was never meant to be serious.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Anyone going to Dragon*Con? Sanderson is doing the official launch of Legion there, though he won't be numbering copies since there's already a numbered edition.

He's also going to be reading a new excerpt from A Memory of Light if that's more your thing.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Ornamented Death posted:

Anyone going to Dragon*Con? Sanderson is doing the official launch of Legion there, though he won't be numbering copies since there's already a numbered edition.

I just got notification yesterday that my Subpress numbered/signed version is on it's way! :swoon:

Also, even though I only live an hour and a half from Atlanta, I'm not going to Dragon Con. I'm sad because I'd really like my UK versions of the Mistborn Trilogy signed :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How many conventions has this man been to this year? I swear every other week he's releasing a new book, attending a con, and playing magic tournaments with his fans. Burnout is for lesser men. :black101:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Burnout is for writers who do not treat writing as if it were a real 9-5 job.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

How many conventions has this man been to this year? I swear every other week he's releasing a new book, attending a con, and playing magic tournaments with his fans. Burnout is for lesser men. :black101:

So is sleep apparently, I don't understand how he has so much time on his hands.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Fallorn posted:

Burnout is for writers who do not treat writing as if it were a real 9-5 job.

Or in Brandon's case, noon to 3AM.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Clinton1011 posted:

So is sleep apparently, I don't understand how he has so much time on his hands.
He's either a double-bronze Twinborn, or a robot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Quantum Toast posted:

Close, he's a mormon. :mitt:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Quantum Toast posted:

Well, say he treats it like a full-time 9-5 job and he produces, while he's working, 500 words an hour. That would be 3500 words in a 7 hour work day (give the dude an hour for lunch), 17,500 words a week, 70,000 words a month, and 910,000 words a year. Let's give him 13 days off for national holidays, so take off 45,500 for that. Two weeks vacation takes off another 35,000.

So, assuming he doesn't have to take time off his writing job other than what is listed (of course he's got to do publicity tours and cons and take meetings and all that crap, but let's pretend he doesn't. Also pretend he doesn't have to edit and re-write and blah, blah, blah.), then he should produce about 830K words a year, which works out to about 6 140K fantasy epics every year.

Sounds to me like he's slacking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

navyjack posted:

Well, say he treats it like a full-time 9-5 job and he produces, while he's working, 500 words an hour. That would be 3500 words in a 7 hour work day (give the dude an hour for lunch), 17,500 words a week, 70,000 words a month, and 910,000 words a year. Let's give him 13 days off for national holidays, so take off 45,500 for that. Two weeks vacation takes off another 35,000.

So, assuming he doesn't have to take time off his writing job other than what is listed (of course he's got to do publicity tours and cons and take meetings and all that crap, but let's pretend he doesn't. Also pretend he doesn't have to edit and re-write and blah, blah, blah.), then he should produce about 830K words a year, which works out to about 6 140K fantasy epics every year.

Sounds to me like he's slacking off.

What about his college professor position at BYU?