Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

What about his college professor position at BYU?

He's got a really good TA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

navyjack posted:

He's got a really good TA?

He is a Mormon I don't know if his TA would have great T and A. All joking aside he got the idea and most the story for the Steam punk mistborn book out on an international flight. I mean even if he spends like 1/2 of his time editing he is still pumping out at least one book that gets published a year. Top that off with teaching a class where you have office hours and 1-2 days of teaching a week along with conventions and touring. I bet he has gotten very good at working while on an airplane where he doesn't have to worry about cellphone calls or other things.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Don't forget all the time he plays Magic too! :v:

... conventions, shows, etc.

The man is insane.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's an interview about his upcoming YA book Steelheart.
http://presentinglenore.blogspot.de/2012/08/author-interview-brandon-sanderson.html

quote:

There are no heroes.

Every single person who manifested powers—we call them Epics—turned out to be evil.

Here, in the city once known as Chicago, an extraordinarily powerful Epic declared himself Emperor. Steelheart has the strength of ten men and can control the elements. It is said no bullet can harm him, no sword can split his skin, no explosion can burn him. He is invincible.

It has been ten years. We live our lives as best we can. Nobody fights back . . . nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans who spend their lives studying powerful Epics, finding their weaknesses, then assassinating them.

My name is David Charleston. I'm not one of the Reckoners, but I intend to join them. I have something they need. Something precious, something incredible. Not an object, but an experience. I know his secret.

I've seen Steelheart bleed.

Yeah its YA, but I really like this setup. Sounds like something his normal readers could enjoy too.

quote:

What's on the top of your to-do list before the world ends?
Finish all these darn books I want to write. I have around two dozen that need to get done before the world ends, so I'd better get cracking.

Should take him another year or two.

quote:

How does your novel stand out from others in the genre?
That's an excellent question. This is a somewhat crowded genre recently. Of course, dystopian fiction has always been popular in the SF/fantasy field, but lately it's had quite a boom. I am the only one that I know of doing a superhero apocalypse. I wrote the book because one day I was driving down the road and someone cut me off in traffic, and I thought, "It's a good thing I'm not a supervillain, because I would totally blow up your car." The what-if for me on that was—what if someone could just blow up your car if you cut them off in traffic? How would that change the world? What would we do if people started getting super powers and just started taking whatever they wanted? Would we be able to stop them? What would happen if the government just declared them forces of nature, acts of God, something that can't be changed. It was an interesting enough premise that I wrote a book based around it, and that's where Steelheart came from. It's a premise that I haven't seen done before.

Every day driving home from DC in rush hour traffic this crosses my mind...

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 31, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Legion is out in hardback today! Kindle/ebook version is going to be a few weeks from now accordig to Peter Alhstrom in an amazon posting.

quote:

It will come out for Kindle a week or two afterward. Brandon is publishing the ebook himself and we need a little time to get everything together. Plus, we want to send a free copy of the ebook (DRM-free) to everyone who ordered the print version, by having everyone send us their receipt or something like that. This will be a manual process on our end, so turnaround time won't be fast, but Brandon is a believer in bundling and wants to do this for everyone who supported the small press version. Subterranean took a risk by not insisting on retaining the ebook rights themselves like most publishers do, so we want to throw them a big bone.

Really cool of Brandon to do that.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Man I'm on my way to Germany (Pearson International in Toronto has good wi-fi, by the way) and my copy is probably arriving in Bloomington, IN about now.

I'd smith but on the other hand I'm going to Germany.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So apparently UPS, in their infinite wisdom, decided to route my package through New Orleans.

I don't think I'm gonna be reading Legion for a while :smith:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sanderson is a subtle troll; he's been walking around Dragon*Con with a copy of AMOL.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

Sanderson is a subtle troll; he's been walking around Dragon*Con with a copy of AMOL.
Technically, he's been walking around DC with a copy of a WoT book with an AMOL cover.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Though it nearly killed me, I got Brandon to sign all the books I brought to Dragon*Con. I was also pleasantly surprised to find Dan Dos Santos, the artist that did Warbreaker's cover, down in the artist area, so I got his signature, too. And I managed to get one of the last few copies of the Infinity Blade novella Brandon had printed up for cons this year.

And because it gets brought up somewhat frequently either here or in the Butcher thread, Brandon said he barely knows Jim, having only meet him briefly three times, so don't hold your breath for a collaboration any time soon.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
Legion was very good. I'd love to see a full sized novel continued from it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This Post Sucks posted:

I was just coming to post this. I really hope he does a followup.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

This Post Sucks posted:

Agreed. I actually was a little disappointed with Legion, mainly because I wanted him to expand on the characters more, and by the time we really got to know them, it was over. The actual execution of the hallucinations is so much more fascinating than any pre-release blurb made it sound.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finished Warbreaker a few days ago, and I enjoyed it. One can definitely tell that it is an early novel. However, I did think that it was a little predictable, in that I knew Lightsong was going to eventually heal Susebron, but I just didn't know the circumstances. I really was not expecting Bluefingers to be the actual traitor, however. I really was hoping it would be the priests.

I really feel like the ending was set up so he could eventually write a sequel, too. I would definitely like to explore some of the other continents and characters like Vivenna and Vasher.

edit: didn't catch a glaring error when I posted this, and I apologize.

pakman fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 5, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

pakman posted:

I finished Warbreaker a few days ago, and I enjoyed it. One can definitely tell that it is an early novel. However, I did think that it was aBluefingers ro little predictable, in that I knew Lightsong was going to eventually heal Susebron, but I just didn't know the circumstances. I really was not expecting Bluefingers to be the actual traitor, however. I really was hoping it would be the priests.

I really feel like the ending was set up so he could eventually write a sequel, too. I would definitely like to explore some of the other continents and characters like Vivenna and Vasher.

Brandon confirmed that Warbreaker will get one more sequel, but its way far down the list of books he plans to write. His current schedule is to start work on Stormlight 2 sometime in the fall and have that released late next year. Then he plans to work on the sequel to Elantris which he is hoping to have ready for 2015 which is the 10 year anniversary of getting his first book, Elantris, published. After that will probably come Stormlight 3. There are supposed to be 10 Stormlight books total, and he wants to write one every 2 years, alternating it with whatever else he plans to write.

Beyond that, I don't think anything is set in stone. He has said that he plans to write a sequel to Alloy of Law. There's also supposed to be the next big Mistborn trilogy that is supposed to be set in modern times. (Think of it as Harry Dresden: Allomancer.) Then there is supposed to be a final capstone Mistborn trilogy set in future scifi space, or something.

Other Cosmere books include one that is set on a world where the magic system is sound based. I think there are supposed to be books that explain how all the shards where shattered from the mega-god (Adolnasium) to begin with. There is also a world that he wrote his Masters thesis on, called Dragonsteel. It used to be available to check out from the BYU library, but some assclown stole it. Brandon has said its not up to his standards today and would probably go through major revisions if he were to ever release it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Just finished the first chapter of Stormlight 2. (Sequel to The Way of Kings.) Putting up the % bar on my website.

Just thought I'd share.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Just thought I'd share.

:neckbeard: I haven't been this excited for a book since A Dance with Dragons, except ADwD came with crushing disappointment.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

He also planned on using the name "The Book of Endless Pages" for Stormlight 2. Then fans pointed out the irony for what will probably be a 1000-page tome.

He's reconsidering the title, which I consider a damned shame. Calling his monster of a book "The Book of Endless Pages" strikes me as a perfect example of Sanderson humor.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cool, its great to see him get to work on the sequel. I'm not sure if Tor is going to let him, but I would love to see more art and drawings like the first book had, especially if this is going to be a Jasnah centered book. And the title, The Book of Endless Pages, needs to be left alone! :colbert:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I thought it was either that or Highprince of War if he ended up doing a Dalinar-heavy book.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: Monday! :siren:

Brandon Sanderson's twitter posted:

The LEGION ebook will go on sale Monday or as soon after that as the various ebook stores put it up.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

pakman posted:

I finished Warbreaker a few days ago, and I enjoyed it. One can definitely tell that it is an early novel. However, I did think that it was a little predictable, in that I knew Lightsong was going to eventually heal Susebron, but I just didn't know the circumstances. I really was not expecting Bluefingers to be the actual traitor, however. I really was hoping it would be the priests.

edit: didn't catch a glaring error when I posted this, and I apologize.

I finally convinced my wife to read Warbreaker recently, so now I have non-Internet people to talk to when I want to gush about Brandon Sanderson, and my "Sanderson Avalanche" phrase will make sense.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

platero posted:

I finally convinced my wife to read Warbreaker recently, so now I have non-Internet people to talk to when I want to gush about Brandon Sanderson, and my "Sanderson Avalanche" phrase will make sense.

Sadly, I am the only one in my family that reads fantasy. :smith:

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

platero posted:

My wife was almost put off of Sanderson entirely because of the atrocious voice actor in the Warbringer audio book that she'd hear snippets of while in the car with me. Luckily, I got her to pick up Mistborn and now she's a Sanderson fan!

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I also got my wife into Sanderson recently with The Way of Kings on audiobook. Michael Kramer isn't a bad reader, but sometimes he tries too hard to make every sentence sound gritty.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Monday's almost over, where is this book??

Hosie
Mar 21, 2008
http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/store/product/2707-legion-by-brandon-sanderson/

From sandersons twitter, can't complain about that price.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cicero posted:

Monday's almost over, where is this book??

He tweeted that Amazon is being rather slow with getting it approved and he doesn't know why. Apple Ibooks already has it up.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Legion was so good that I absolutely regretted every time I scrolled to the next page and my percent complete marker on my phone went up by almost a whole percent.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Legion is the best Sanderson writing yet, it owns.

Piell fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 12, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He said he wants it turned into a TV show and has sold the rights.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Wow, that good? Guess I'll pick it up sometime this week.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Odette posted:

Wow, that good? Guess I'll pick it up sometime this week.

If that book is the show's pilot episode, I will watch the poo poo out of it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Legion will be the first book I'll read on my Iphone because I'm just that desperate for more Sanderson.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, I've been holding out for the Kindle release and I'm getting more and more pissed by the day. (At amazon, not Brandon.)

Yes, I know I could order the DRM free version from Tor (or dragonmount.com) and copy it over, but I'm too lazy to bother. :saddowns:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah, I've been holding out for the Kindle release and I'm getting more and more pissed by the day. (At amazon, not Brandon.)

Yes, I know I could order the DRM free version from Tor (or dragonmount.com) and copy it over, but I'm too lazy to bother. :saddowns:
This is silly. I got it from dragonmount and they even had a mobi version.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mystes posted:

This is silly. I got it from dragonmount and they even had a mobi version.

Yeah, I know. But I stalled long enough. :)

Here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Legion-ebook/dp/B0099D4KEG

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Cartoon Man posted:

Here it is.

Gonna have to suspend my WoT series readthrough for this one!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I've been on a Sanderson reading spree. Just finished Warbreaker and have now started on The Way of Kings after reading the Mistborn trilogy and sidestory, and Elantris. I've liked all of them. I think the Mistborn books are my favorite that I've read so far, and Sanderson is my new favorite author.

Gonna read all his cosmere books then look into the others that he's written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cartoon Man posted:

Here it is.

One button purchases, nooooo :negative: