Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volt Catfish posted:

I actually feel bad for liking Cheer Up because I know they were pretty much forced to record it and they hated it.
I don't feel bad. It was a better direction for the band and they should have continued that way instead of trying to force the "let's do ska for the KIDZ!! heyyyy pickituppickituppickitup" angle which has led to several extremely uninspired albums that are carbon copies of past songs.

Maybe Cheer Up isn't to everyone's taste, but it felt like a natural progression from Why Do They Rock So Hard and every album since has been a step backwards. I don't know if there is a term for selling out in the opposite direction, but they've been super shallow and pandering and it's just not interesting to me.

I dunno, I'm into ska revivial music mostly now (Westbound Train, NYSJE, PASO, The Beatdown) so maybe I'm not impartial anymore.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Hooray, I have a new Aquabats inspired username. Nobody outside this thread will understand.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Should have been CATWITH2HEADS

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

MondayHotDog posted:

Hooray, I have a new Aquabats inspired username. Nobody outside this thread will understand.

I think TuesdayTaco would have been better :colbert:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Did anyone go on the Pietasters booze cruise? I'm so bummed I missed it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's finally happening.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I have noticed a very unsettling trend of tours I want to see skipping a WI date.

Very excited for this album though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm pretty sure that's the poster for the tour in 2014 :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh nice, pumped as hell about the album. No MD tour date though, that's disappointing.

Skeezy posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the poster for the tour in 2014 :colbert:

What do you mean?

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
Ha, my friend and I were just talking about how the last time Kalnoky actually put out new material was back when we were in high school. I'm so loving excited, I'm going to go to the Northampton and the Boston shows :neckbeard:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

guppy posted:

What do you mean?

It's a bad joke. Haha

Skeletorbo
Dec 30, 2008
Officially jacked for the Streetlight album! I may even be able to make it to a show this time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This is all lies. All of it. There will never be a new Streetlight album.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

This is all lies. All of it. There will never be a new Streetlight album.

It'll just be covers of their older songs.

But really, this is awesome. May go see them in Orlando in October!

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I hope they re-record Dear Sergio for the new album.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
After selecting the "Ska" category in SongPop, I realized how it's entirely first wave and two-tone ska songs, and how horribly uneducated I am about anything outside of third-wave. Trying to rectify this via Youtube :)

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
It's dangerous to go alone, take this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MoNsx7bKkI

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Super informative. I will make sure to do this dance at 4x speed at the next Streetlight show I see. Btw, I really like the English Beat from what I've heard from them so far

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dodecalypse posted:

It'll just be covers of their older songs.

It's called "The Hands That Thieve" because all they do is steal material for covers. :smug:

But no really, I'm super stoked. They also say they'll be playing both new and old material at all of the shows, and clips of new songs will be posted on their various social media poo poo, website, etc.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beowulf posted:

After selecting the "Ska" category in SongPop, I realized how it's entirely first wave and two-tone ska songs, and how horribly uneducated I am about anything outside of third-wave. Trying to rectify this via Youtube :)
Only marginally relevent but right now I'm building a Spotify playlist for modern traditional/two-tone ska; it's basically my work music playlist (third wave ska is too distracting to work to). I haven't really finished it out yet but you can check it here.

http://open.spotify.com/user/mattwilsoncss/playlist/14g5SmkZruUaICh5PNz0th

Recommendations are great too, because Spotify's "recommended artists" feature is kind of.. crap.

There's also the Pressure Drop Soundcast if that's still going, which plays a lot of traditional music.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
My suggestion for exploring 2-Tone is to pick up a box set compilation. Despite a number of repeated tracks across the disks, I would recommend a compilation called "Ska'd For Life." I found it for $10 at a local record store but it can be found on Amazon and probably other places too. That's how I first got introduced to Bad Manners.

Also, I'm picking up tickets for Streetlight's Lancaster show as soon as they post purchasing info.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
The last time I saw Streetlight they played my old school's spring festival and got thrown off stage by campus police after 4 songs.

Holy poo poo, that was 3 and a half years ago.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Maybe Streetlight just has problems behaving at college shows. They played at my school about two years ago and while they didn't get kicked off the stage by the police, Tomas did spend the entire show acting like it was the last place he wanted to be. It seemed like all of his stage banter was just trying to piss off the crowd. I don't know what was up with that. I'm hoping that the attitude is different for this tour. I may get stoned for this, and maybe I'm just a snob, but out of all the ska shows I've been too Streetlight was my least favorite, but they're good enough to get a second chance from me.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Making plans with everyone I know to go see Streetlight here. My Mother will be joining us. So pumped to skank with my Mom.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Decided to cancel my Spotify account and use some of the iTunes credit I've accumulated over the years and never used. Now I'm up to my ears in Bim Skala Bim, Pietasters, The Allstonians, Deal's Gone Bad, The Slackers, The Selecter, and Hepcat. So good. All of it.

And I just discovered The Allstonians played in my town last night and I missed it. :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So pumped for new Streetlight. Hopefully gonna go to the Lancaster show and see cool things. :neckbeard:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I wish I was as awesome as this kid when I was his age
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jv-h6TFQeM&t=54s

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone else head to the BTMI! shows in Los Angeles and Pomona? They were tons of fun, some of the best shows I've been to - gently caress the haters who said their shows weren't a loving blast.

Talked to Jeff after the show, and asked him if the break from touring also meant they were going to stop making new music. He said, "We don't really know yet. We're just going to take a break for a while, and see how we feel after that." So it looks like 80s-50s might be the last BTMI song.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
How come "So Much For Rock And Roll" has never made it to an RBF studio album? It's on the live album and it's awesome.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone else head to the BTMI! shows in Los Angeles and Pomona? They were tons of fun, some of the best shows I've been to - gently caress the haters who said their shows weren't a loving blast.

Talked to Jeff after the show, and asked him if the break from touring also meant they were going to stop making new music. He said, "We don't really know yet. We're just going to take a break for a while, and see how we feel after that." So it looks like 80s-50s might be the last BTMI song.

He said they were making a hardcore record in September.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Hah, a new Streetlight album. Next you'll be telling me there will be a Man Bites Dog album.

In other news, it probably got discussed but The Aquabats! Super Show has found a distributor for home video release, and hopefully good sales of that will lead to an album for the show.

Edit:

guppy posted:

How come "So Much For Rock And Roll" has never made it to an RBF studio album? It's on the live album and it's awesome.

In the commentary for the DVD Aaron discusses about how making this live album (and editing in the studio some) was a way for them to reclaim their songs from their previous label at the time. Because of that extra work in the studio he probably considers it good enough to not need a studio version.

Of course that was all before A Best Of Us For The Rest Of Us came out, so take that with a grain of salt.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Bim Skala Bim, Pietasters, The Allstonians, Deal's Gone Bad, The Slackers, The Selecter, and Hepcat. So good. All of it.

I already have a bunch of The Selecter, but the rest of this, I want it. I want it so badly. Especially BSB, Pietasters, and Hepcat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Olibu posted:

Of course that was all before A Best Of Us For The Rest Of Us came out, so take that with a grain of salt.

This had the same theory behind it, that's why it was rerecorded songs and not original stuiod versions: Their old label owned most of those songs.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Looks like central Ohio still has a ska band, and they'll be playing a festival soon.

Has anyone seen Ska Skank Redemption live?

http://www.wix.com/m63102/skaskankredemption

Gonna just step in and clear this up: the band you linked is a (clearly inferior) Colorado band. The C-Bus band is The Skashank Redemption: http://www.facebook.com/theskashankredemption

Also I'm in it. Next show will probably be Independent's Day, September 15.

Also there are like four other ska bands in town, seriously check that poo poo out.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HisFlyingFingers posted:

Gonna just step in and clear this up: the band you linked is a (clearly inferior) Colorado band. The C-Bus band is The Skashank Redemption: http://www.facebook.com/theskashankredemption

Also I'm in it. Next show will probably be Independent's Day, September 15.

Also there are like four other ska bands in town, seriously check that poo poo out.

What are the names of the other bands?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Preorders are up for the new Streetlight album. Ten bucks! What a steal!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Preorders are up for the new Streetlight album. Ten bucks! What a steal!

Dang, thanks for that just bought the Toh Kay Streetlight edition. Now to wait till November.

:dance:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skeezy posted:

Dang, thanks for that just bought the Toh Kay Streetlight edition. Now to wait till November.

:dance:

Yeah as soon as I get my first check I'm ordering this poo poo. So stoked right now.

Also a reminder: Preorder from their store, don't use Amazon or whatever. The RISC Store is the only way to make sure that Victory doesn't get any money on the sale.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Yeah as soon as I get my first check I'm ordering this poo poo. So stoked right now.

Also a reminder: Preorder from their store, don't use Amazon or whatever. The RISC Store is the only way to make sure that Victory doesn't get any money on the sale.

I feel very good for giving them my $13.63 directly :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Have to get the one that comes with both the Streetlight and Toh Kay versions. Only $5 more.