Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I didn't do that to her during the story, but now that I'm done and I'm just loving around, I'm taking pleaseure in throwing pedestrians into the ocean and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SpacePig posted:

I didn't do that to her during the story, but now that I'm done and I'm just loving around, I'm taking pleaseure in throwing pedestrians into the ocean and such.

420 throw fisherman into the sea every day.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Invisible Ted posted:

Am I the only one who didn't kill Tiffany/lock her in the trunk of a car/slam her head into a car door?

I didn't because I didn't know about trunk throwing the first time, but you bet I did the second time I played that mission. I drove around for a while like an rear end in a top hat and then was going to drive into the ocean, but somehow the car ended up against a brick wall with the trunk against the ground, so I was just like "well.... good enough."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SpacePig posted:

One of my favourite activities in the Assassin Creed 2 series :v: Wish there was a stat for that. (Number of fishes fed: 279)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Saddest Rhino posted:

One of my favourite activities in the Assassin Creed 2 series :v: Wish there was a stat for that. (Number of fishes fed: 279)

The third most fun thing in AC2, second being punching bards, first being stealth poisoning a heavy guard near a large crowd, then throwing money at his feet.

Someone made the comparison between this and AC1 before, where there is something fun here, but it's unpolished and a bit broken at times. I agree with this, because I love both AC1 and Sleeping Dogs despite their flaws. I hope whatever Sleeping Dogs 2 is has just as big a difference as AC1 and 2 did.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Invisible Ted posted:

Am I the only one who didn't kill Tiffany/lock her in the trunk of a car/slam her head into a car door?

I didn't. I was happy to find it was not mandatory/scripted to get all MRA on her for doing the same thing you did like here and YouTube insisted.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I think people do it partly because it's so rare to actually end up in a scenario where you can do that.

For instance, in one of the world events where you free a woman from a trunk and she bitches at you because she was playing a bondage game you obviously want to do it but she can't be interacted with after the event is completed. At least I don't think I could.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I didn't. I was happy to find it was not mandatory/scripted to get all MRA on her for doing the same thing you did like here and YouTube insisted.

Pushing buttons and making pictures move doesn't hurt anyone in real life. I don't think anyone here is advocating doing it in real life.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I've taken to the habit of picking up fish as weapons and taking them with me on drug busts.

I want who ever made that design choice to be promoted :colbert:

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
drat that live action sleeping dogs film is not getting nearly enough love in this thread. flat out incredible - can't believe a bunch of amateurs did that. I'd pay 20 bucks to see a full length film done by that crew - awesome practical stunts. Whoever does the bourne identity movies should hire this guy to film the fight scenes

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Ariza posted:

Pushing buttons and making pictures move doesn't hurt anyone in real life. I don't think anyone here is advocating doing it in real life.

It's not so much that the game will make you go out and beat women, but more what the hell are the real life issues people have that cause them to react in such a way to that scene. Like, she calls you out as a hypocrite and I guess people don't like that and slam her head in the door and post about it on the internet.

Seriously, I've done a lot of horrible poo poo in this game in the name of entertainment, sure, but this is one pretty much unremarkable (other than being narratively incongruous) scene is one where theres some big contingent just talking about setting up elaborate Tiffany in the Harbour murders every time it gets mentioned.

I dunno, I'm just seeing a kind of nasty undercurrent to that that goes somewhere darker than beating up gangsters. I mentioned it earlier. You guys are giving me the heebies.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 30, 2012

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

:staredog: I can see that.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Chim posted:

drat that live action sleeping dogs film is not getting nearly enough love in this thread. flat out incredible - can't believe a bunch of amateurs did that. I'd pay 20 bucks to see a full length film done by that crew - awesome practical stunts. Whoever does the bourne identity movies should hire this guy to film the fight scenes

Also does everyone remember several months back when there was the live action trailer for the game, and everyone was all "but yeah, will the REAL fights be anything like that?". I'd reckon, looking back, that the fights in the game were better than that trailer suggested.

This game. I loving love this game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

JAssassin posted:

:staredog: I can see that.

If you're driving a taxi, people might occasionally jump in (and you can drive them of to the harbor while they scream or something). Thing is, when this happens the game takes control and stops your car.

So this happened when the woman was on other side of a four lane motorway. The game practically dragged my taxi through a fence, three cars an advertisement and a bus, smashing them to pieces in the process. I think she was magneto. :staredog:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Ending questions: Was anyone else hoping that it ended with Tong killing Wei and life going on for everyone else? That last level seemed to go on forever with the gunplay which I thought was the weakest part of the game, other than the sliding slowdown shooting. The driving may be a little floaty, but shooting out tires and action hijacking never gets old. I absolutely loved the melee weaponless fighting and hope they improve the guns in the next iteration.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Well, I'm near end game and I'm finishing up a few things for completion. Can anyone tell me how to to get points for the Fluid movement attacks? Do I just run, jump over barriers, and hit pedestrian on the sidewalk to build this up?

I did it by replaying Mrs. Chu's Revenge, and resetting at the checkpoint in that mission where you disarm the guy.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Sleeping Dogs - Dogeyes, it's just a tender... subject.

Invisible Ted posted:

Neither did I... I locked her new "boyfriend" in her car and drove him in the sea

Also, this is not fun at all Wei.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ShineDog posted:

It's not so much that the game will make you go out and beat women, but more what the hell are the real life issues people have that cause them to react in such a way to that scene. Like, she calls you out as a hypocrite and I guess people don't like that and slam her head in the door and post about it on the internet.

Seriously, I've done a lot of horrible poo poo in this game in the name of entertainment, sure, but this is one pretty much unremarkable (other than being narratively incongruous) scene is one where theres some big contingent just talking about setting up elaborate Tiffany in the Harbour murders every time it gets mentioned.

I dunno, I'm just seeing a kind of nasty undercurrent to that that goes somewhere darker than beating up gangsters. I mentioned it earlier. You guys are giving me the heebies.

Hey I didn't toss her into the ocean or beat her with the car door!

I just grabbed her, shot her in the knee, then shot her fourteen times in the head.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chim posted:

Yeah, it's fantastic. That scene is better than the fight scenes in most major films these days. These guys should be working on professional action films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ShineDog posted:

I'm with you. I guess I roleplay more than most in these open-world games, so more of my real personality ends up determining what I do. I do plenty of dark poo poo like shooting people multiple times in the head, but its always an "its all in the game" kind of situation where the person at least somewhat deserves what they got. I don't do a whole lot of walking around randomly shooting people for no reason, at least if I am its a sign that the game isn't entertaining me enough.

I mean, on some level if you bashed Tiffanys head in and drove her into the ocean just for "cheating" on you, then you must wish you could do that kind of thing in real life even if you're smart/sane enough to know its not the right thing. I also don't do a whole lot of randomly murdering hundreds of cops in these games unless its in the flow of a mission or the storyline. I just don't feel the desire to when I'm walking around the world, just like I don't in real life.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 30, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Parkingtigers posted:

Also does everyone remember several months back when there was the live action trailer for the game, and everyone was all "but yeah, will the REAL fights be anything like that?". I'd reckon, looking back, that the fights in the game were better than that trailer suggested.

This game. I loving love this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHIRceS-blA

This one? They even included the slow mo table hopping and shooting while driving!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That whole Tiffany thing was weird because I never actually felt like I was dating her? Last I checked we sang karaoke for a few minutes and then she maybe had sex with me in a club. I'm not complaining, because I really don't like when modern games make me play Dating Simulator, but all the relationship stuff seems like the developers wanted to do more with those storylines but never had the time/money. Why the gently caress else would they bring in Emma Stone for this?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The entire game kinda feels like they cut out half of the missions at some point late in development.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

That whole Tiffany thing was weird because I never actually felt like I was dating her? Last I checked we sang karaoke for a few minutes and then she maybe had sex with me in a club. I'm not complaining, because I really don't like when modern games make me play Dating Simulator, but all the relationship stuff seems like the developers wanted to do more with those storylines but never had the time/money. Why the gently caress else would they bring in Emma Stone for this?

It just seemed like a bunch of one night stands to me which absolutely fit for Wei's character. I guess the short bits of work for people like Emma Stone is like any movie with a cameo. The actor turns up, does thier short scene, gets payed and leaves.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

A new patch is out! Looks like they fixed the mouse aiming and the wonky camera.
http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2760

quote:

Aim Soft Lock: Lets the player enable or disable aiming assistance from the game

Mouse Free Look: Enables/disables camera auto-centering behind the player when using the mouse and on foot

Mouse Sensitivity: A modifier that determines how much speed is recorded from mouse movement

The Action Hijack binding is now independent of the Sprint/Parkour key value

While driving players can now use the mouse to look up and down

While driving the camera no longer immediately auto-centers when you stop moving the mouse

The high-speed camera shake while driving has been reduced

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

The high-speed camera shake while driving has been reduced

...This was a loving feature???

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

ShineDog posted:

I was honestly kind of surprised she actually called Wei (and the player, I guess) out on it, since I had just been going through the motions with that mission. I just went "she has a point" and went on my way.

Stuff like jump-kicking 20 pedestrians in a row is all in good fun but I am too much of a roleplayer to do stuff I or however the main character is 'wouldn't' do. I mean, really, I only punched the reporter in Mass Effect once, and that was a big surprise, I think the line on the dialog wheel was "Time for you to shut up!" which I thought was hilarious after a kind of pleasant interview.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MrBling posted:

I get the same thing. Apparently 16gb ram is just not enough to keep aero running alongside Sleeping Dogs? Except that everything runs fine.

I think Win7 is just stupid.

Also, Alt+Enter works fine.

With 16gb of memory it should not be freaking out about themes...oh well, at least there's a work around.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

...This was a loving feature???
Why did everyone thing it was a loving game-breaking bug???

No really, it's a little annoying but I didn't get headaches or have seizures from it. And I can't play Doom 1/2 for extended amounts of time without getting minor motion sickness.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Croccers posted:

Why did everyone thing it was a loving game-breaking bug???

No really, it's a little annoying but I didn't get headaches or have seizures from it. And I can't play Doom 1/2 for extended amounts of time without getting minor motion sickness.

I imagine it varies a lot by the size of your screen. The amount it's set to on the xbox seems perfectly reasonable for big screens; it seems like it should be a setting in the options.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After Tiffany, I just went and put a pork bun in my hand. That's all you need to be a man.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone would need a pork-bun after that night-time, rainy rooftop dirt-gently caress you got from the european chick.

C'mon Wei, now you've got the herpes. Asian Super-Herpes.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nuts and Gum posted:

With 16gb of memory it should not be freaking out about themes...oh well, at least there's a work around.
Switching to Windows Basic seems to be a totally random decision on Windows' part whenever your computer is a little busy. I had it switch on me once when an IM pulled me out of the game (which pulled me out of the game AGAIN to show me the Basic dialog)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I do like how the dates happen regardless of time/weather conditions. My date with Amanda was a nice walk through the park at midnight in a raging thunderstorm, both of us looking like drowned rats.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
How long does it take to build up my face score enough to buy suits? I just got the game and my first instinct was to go out and snazz myself up, but it looks like I need Face 8 to do that. Will that take forever to build up, or can I achieve that quickly somehow? Alternatively is there any other place to get suits at lower requirements than that?

I ended up driving around for like half an hour just marvelling at how much more comfortable driving is in this game compared to every single other open-world modern game I've ever played, purely because cars drive on the left in this game. It's heavenly.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I wished there was more to the dates. Wanted to learn "Not Ping's" name. Ah well.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Reveilled posted:

How long does it take to build up my face score enough to buy suits? I just got the game and my first instinct was to go out and snazz myself up, but it looks like I need Face 8 to do that. Will that take forever to build up, or can I achieve that quickly somehow? Alternatively is there any other place to get suits at lower requirements than that?

I ended up driving around for like half an hour just marvelling at how much more comfortable driving is in this game compared to every single other open-world modern game I've ever played, purely because cars drive on the left in this game. It's heavenly.

It will take some time, but if you always wear a clock, sunglasses, bracelet and necklace, complete all the fight clubs and complete face events and races as you get them, you'll get to 8 before you're halfway through the story.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I only got to 8 after the story though, but then I'd been ignoring most of the side missions. You do get some suits throughout the game as story outfits.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Black Griffon posted:

It will take some time, but if you always wear a clock, sunglasses, bracelet and necklace, complete all the fight clubs and complete face events and races as you get them, you'll get to 8 before you're halfway through the story.

I'm assuming you mean a wristwatch, but now I really wish this game had a Flavor Flav outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I'm trying to start up the PC demo to get a feel for if the game will run well, and... it's not working.

It just shows the "preparing to launch" dialog box and immediately crashes.

• Locked thread