Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Ensign Expendable posted:

What, really? My first computer that I built was a Socket A, and I somehow managed to not break the die as a clumsy teenager with a vague idea of how computer bits go together, even though I swapped processors/heatsinks in that thing a dozen times.

I broke an Athlon core by putting a heatsink on it a little too rough - I read up on how fragile they were and installed it with half the pressure I normally use putting on heatsinks, but it still busted the core.

It was heartbreaking, I couldn't play Morrowind for another three weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Space Gopher posted:

Yes, that's just a sticker, but a lot of processors around the same era actually had an exposed, unprotected die. Athlon XPs were great CPUs, but putting a heatsink on one was nerve-wracking. A bit of pressure on the edge of the exposed silicon, and you could do this to your expensive new processor:

That's a tiny little chip out of a tiny little chip, but it broke the hearts of a thousand careless nerds. Who all proceeded to post about how AMD $UXXXX on early internet forums.

I had a few socket A Athlons (the first PC I built was an 800 MHz Athlon Thunderbird) that were so crushed that they looked like I took a file to all four edges that ran fine...guess I just got lucky...?

Of course, if you were smart (or destroyed a $100+ CPU) you had one of these:

lazydog posted:

Cheaper heatsinks where you had to force down the clip with a flat blade screwdriver were the worst. You also ran the risk of stabbing your motherboard if the screwdriver slipped.

I got pretty militant about not using the clamp variety heatsinks after a few of my friends went through 2 or 3 processors. I ended up using one of these...

...with a 92mm fan. I'm still surprised more manufacturers didn't take advantage of the four mounting holes around the socket, 95% of socket A boards had them.

Poknok
Mar 14, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My qualm about Socket A was how easy it was to bust the plastic nubs on the socket. One wrong move while putting the heatsink on and you'd ruin the socket. It was actually possible to repair this, by putting a small screw in place of the nub, but it took a lot of time and energy to do it properly.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The Gizmondo

It was an attempt to muscle in to the market the N-Gage was supposedly creating, at the time (2005) it was seen as pretty feature rich supporting a sim card, GPS, 3mp camera and bluetooth.

What made this device even more interesting was the murky background with the company's founder, Stefan Eriksson, when it was revealed he had connections with the Uppsala Mafia ten years earlier.
He was thrown into the spotlight after spectacularly crashing an Enzo Ferrari in California whilst drunk. It didn't help the car wasn't registered and neither was the Mercedes his finance was driving - found to have been illegally imported from Britain and stolen.

Erkisson spent two years in jail while Tiger Telematics eventually plunged into bankruptcy with the unit only selling around 30,000.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

WebDog posted:

What made this device even more interesting was the murky background with the company's founder, Stefan Eriksson, when it was revealed he had connections with the Uppsala Mafia ten years earlier.
He was thrown into the spotlight after spectacularly crashing an Enzo Ferrari in California whilst drunk. It didn't help the car wasn't registered and neither was the Mercedes his finance was driving - found to have been illegally imported from Britain and stolen.

Erkisson spent two years in jail while Tiger Telematics eventually plunged into bankruptcy with the unit only selling around 30,000.

Was this the crash where he told police that a German man named Dieter had been driving and had run away after the crash? My friend and I still make jokes about that, but I never bothered to find out what the full story was.

Socket A chat, I managed to not break mine building my first computer 7 years ago, I didn't even know it was an issue until now. I'd still be using that computer too if it wasn't in storage, I managed to get an XP 1500 (1.5ghz) up to 3200 spec, but had to back it down to 2600 after it started having stability issues. Love those little processors.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

Was this the crash where he told police that a German man named Dieter had been driving and had run away after the crash?
Yes. More info here The whole thing reads like something out of a bad mafia comedy.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Terrible Robot posted:

Was this the crash where he told police that a German man named Dieter had been driving and had run away after the crash? My friend and I still make jokes about that, but I never bothered to find out what the full story was.

Socket A chat, I managed to not break mine building my first computer 7 years ago, I didn't even know it was an issue until now. I'd still be using that computer too if it wasn't in storage, I managed to get an XP 1500 (1.5ghz) up to 3200 spec, but had to back it down to 2600 after it started having stability issues. Love those little processors.

Wired has a long article that goes into a lot of the details of the Gizmondo disaster. Buckle in, it's a hell of a ride.

Broken Athlon dies really weren't such a huge issue if you weren't careless. The die could take the pressure straight on; it was only a problem if you put pressure on one edge of the chip. A lot of the problems came from people trying to use coolers designed for socketed Pentium 3s, that didn't sit properly on the little rubber dots that were supposed to even out the load and keep things from crunching on one edge.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Good God. I remember Palm Pilots so clearly. One of my super smug classmates in high school got one, and wouldn't stop showing everyone his new toy. I never understood the hype behind Palm Pilots, and I remember asking him, "So... what does it do aside from keep your class schedule?"

His answer: "The question you should be asking is what doesn't it, do. :smug:

I wonder which landfill its sitting in, right now.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

SPACE HOMOS posted:

For a while intel and amd decided to use CPU slots but they were quickly phased out. Pentium 1s were sockets like you see today. I know some P3s were socket and some were slot also. Some of the 'older' processors had the die exposed on top unlike today.

Reason for slot processors was their L2 cache -- manufacturing technology wasn't capable of adding that much memory on the CPU chip (and the memory couldn't reach the speeds CPUs ran) so the slot had the cpu and L2 cache memory chips (that in case of Pentium 2 ran clockspeed of the CPU). On slot A athlons the cache speed went from to 1/3 based on clock speed.

When P3 rolled out the manufacturing had matured so that the L2 cache could be inserted on CPU die and it ran as fast as the cpu. Due to compatibility, same processor was available as the socket and slot version, the slot version just had an adapter for the processor.

I'm not sure if this technology was presented, but Intel 440BX chipset and compability with slotket adapters powered me from 1999 (P2-400, 128 mb RAM, Voodoo3) to 2004 (Celeron 1300, 384 mb RAM, Geforce 4 Ti).

Rosoboronexport has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Aug 30, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

melon cat posted:

Good God. I remember Palm Pilots so clearly. One of my super smug classmates in high school got one, and wouldn't stop showing everyone his new toy. I never understood the hype behind Palm Pilots, and I remember asking him, "So... what does it do aside from keep your class schedule?"

His answer: "The question you should be asking is what doesn't it, do. :smug:

I wonder which landfill its sitting in, right now.

I was fascinated by Palm Pilots but settled on a Nokia e62 instead (imported, since at the time Canada was very slow to release phones).

My co-workers were amazed that I could just hang out and surf the internet while at work, without a computer. Then iphone came out shortly after and no one thought I was cool anymore. :qq:

Now the idea of not having internet at a boring job is considered cruel and unusual punishment. And my phone has a faster internet connection than my PC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rosoboronexport posted:

Reason for slot processors was their L2 cache -- manufacturing technology wasn't capable of adding that much memory on the CPU chip (and the memory couldn't reach the speeds CPUs ran) so the slot had the cpu and L2 cache memory chips (that in case of Pentium 2 ran clockspeed of the CPU). On slot A athlons the cache speed went from to 1/3 based on clock speed.

When P3 rolled out the manufacturing had matured so that the L2 cache could be inserted on CPU die and it ran as fast as the cpu. Due to compatibility, same processor was available as the socket and slot version, the slot version just had an adapter for the processor.

I'm not sure if this technology was presented, but Intel 440BX chipset and compability with slotket adapters powered me from 1999 (P2-400, 128 mb RAM, Voodoo3) to 2004 (Celeron 1300, 384 mb RAM, Geforce 4 Ti).

Since it's processor nostalgia time, here's what I put in my first PC build:

loving amazing chips, those were. They were cheaper, cooler and faster than the equivalent Pentium, but with a weaker maths co-processor.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

My dad gave me his old HP 12c back in the day, and this thing is great for doing closing out tills at work. And it's like 28 years old.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
TLDR portable CD players.

I won my last one in a poker game (I was actually using a Minidisc recorder at the time, MZ-R30: the brick). It was a motherfucking slot loading Discman (actually CD Walkman as Sony was trying to revive the name).

Neither of these are my pics.

I also won a second Minidisc recorder (MZ-R55 iirc) from a poker game off the same guy (he was a drug dealer and not good at poker). The MOTHERFUCKING SLOT-LOADING DISCMAN did not come with a remote, but the Minidisc recorder remote worked perfectly.

Postscript:

You were awesome and I almost miss you:

OK, not quite, but RIP.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Does the Gameboy Advance count as obsolete now?

I bought one in 2002, and it was my first ever console (god I'm young). That thing is heavy as gently caress compared to my DS, and is pretty much built like a tank. I slipped on some water on the floor once, and launched it across the room - still worked just fine. My brother dropped it from the second floor window and the only thing that happened to it was that we lost the bit that covered the batteries. Even after all the abuse I've piled on it, it still works like a charm.

Even the thing's games were durable. My dog tried to eat my Harry Potter game when she was a puppy, and it still played just fine. Despite the huge holes in the plastic casing.

flippy piss
Jul 21, 2012

by T. Mascis

Why did it take us so loving long to figure this out? Instead of putting the pins on the CPU, and then jamming that into the motherboard, put the pins on the motherboard, and have a metal contraption firmly hold down the pin-less CPU.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Personally (outside of super-expensive high-end processors that cost upwards of $1000) I'd much rather replace a processor than a system board.

Also I've corrected a fair number of bent pins, but typically once one of the contact points on a LGA board gets bent its nearly impossible to correct.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SC Bracer posted:

I bought one in 2002, and it was my first ever console (god I'm young). That thing is heavy as gently caress compared to my DS, and is pretty much built like a tank. I slipped on some water on the floor once, and launched it across the room - still worked just fine. My brother dropped it from the second floor window and the only thing that happened to it was that we lost the bit that covered the batteries. Even after all the abuse I've piled on it, it still works like a charm.

Even the thing's games were durable. My dog tried to eat my Harry Potter game when she was a puppy, and it still played just fine. Despite the huge holes in the plastic casing.

The original DS was pretty durable as well, and I remember a video that showed the Gamecube being abused to an almost comical degree and still working fine.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I still have the first-gen DS I bought eight years ago, and it works like a champ. It has survived being dropped out of a car going 40 mph. The battery life is still great, even.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

lazydog posted:

I never personally broke any, but Google has 1.8 million results for "cracked athlon core"
It helped if you had a well made heatsink.
Cheaper heatsinks where you had to force down the clip with a flat blade screwdriver were the worst. You also ran the risk of stabbing your motherboard if the screwdriver slipped.
The first 3 computers that I built myself were a duron, an athlon xp, and a 939 athlon 64. All used that style of heat sink and despite being so clueless I didn't know what thermal paste was (initially) I still managed to avoid damage. This was despite the fact that (for reasons I can't remember) I ended up performing the procedure around 10 times with the duron.

Honestly they weren't so bad once amd improved the design with a plastic guide to keep the screwdriver snugly in place. I'd rate it above the Intel push pins, and way above that horrible lever design Intel used at the time (2/3 cases I've seen that involved a hsf that was taking a vacation to the bottom of the case).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bought this right away when it came out (holy poo poo, 1996, apparently), still have it, it still works perfectly. Even the Lithium Ion battery it came with still works as new. I haven't had a disk fail on me either; they all still play problem free. Sony may have a bad reputation, I don't know, but this thing was -is- solid.

Although I think the earphones with remote it came with are gone are in my parent's attic. But like all Sony earphones (at the time?) they sounded like poo poo anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hell, you can't give the GBA and DS credit for being durable as gently caress without mentioning the original Game Boy. Special tales of survival for that thing in my memory include falling from a second story window of a house and staying out there for an entire winter until the snow melted, getting run over by a car, and surviving a Gulf War bombing. All three worked like new afterwards.

EDIT:

Flipperwaldt posted:

But like all Sony earphones (at the time?) they sounded like poo poo anyway.

I have a Sony Erikson phone, and the earphones still sound like poo poo. The left one barely even plays anything half the time now.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Aug 31, 2012

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Rosoboronexport posted:

Intel 440BX chipset and compability with slotket adapters powered me from 1999 (P2-400, 128 mb RAM, Voodoo3) to 2004 (Celeron 1300, 384 mb RAM, Geforce 4 Ti).
gently caress yes - I remember having a 440BX in my P2 300 - not because that CPU needed it, but because I specified it for the upgrade-ability (that I never ended up taking advantage of).

I'd also like to nominate the 975X chipset: seen on expensive motherboards meant to run Pentium 4's, capable of running every intel CPU until the i5/7's came around. I had one on an XBX975 - intel's first enthusiast motherboard (not that it had many overclocking options unless you had a xeon or a circuit writer pen) and the only reason I ended up with it instead of one of its (mostly worse) successors is because I bought an Intel Core 2 (E6600) practically the second they were available.

That machine got me from mid2006 to mid2011, was my girlfriends a year after, and then because I got her playing BF3 (which it could run, but only at 25-50fps) it now enjoys an easy life as my media centre PC. The harddrives and vidcard have changed but the rest of it has been rock solid for more than 6 years (half of which it has spent powered on judging from the smart data from the drives it has used). One of the AMD machines that came before it still runs today at my parents, but I wouldn't call it "rock solid" as much as "flaky as hell from day one thank-you nvidia maker of fine video cards but awful awful chipsets".

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

The original DS was pretty durable as well, and I remember a video that showed the Gamecube being abused to an almost comical degree and still working fine.

Nintendo can have some silly ideas now and then, but drat if they can't make solid hardware while their competitors make consoles that ship with 1 in 8 failure rates. My Gamecube once fell three feet while I was playing Smash Bros. and it was fine. A few months ago a drunk friend peed almost directly into my Wii. It's still fine!

But you want to talk obsolete and failed? The Gameboy Micro. I don't know many other people who've seen or played one in person, so check out this picture for a sense of scale:

Yeah, it's insanely small. It only plays GBA games, no backwards compatibility. Great battery life, easily the best screen of the GBA generation (backlit, instead of the frontlit SP screens), and you could change the faceplates to personalize it. Why was it such a dumb idea, and why did it sell so badly? They decided to release it a year after the Nintendo DS came out.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

flippy piss posted:

Why did it take us so loving long to figure this out? Instead of putting the pins on the CPU, and then jamming that into the motherboard, put the pins on the motherboard, and have a metal contraption firmly hold down the pin-less CPU.

Because if they had worked it out sooner, thousands of aspiring nerds would never have gotten to experience the... Unique... feeling of sitting their arse down on an upturned P100 chip you lost on your bed doona...

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Hell, you can't give the GBA and DS credit for being durable as gently caress without mentioning the original Game Boy...surviving a Gulf War bombing.
It's on display at the Nintendo store in New York.

Manky posted:

Nintendo can have some silly ideas now and then, but drat if they can't make solid hardware while their competitors make consoles that ship with 1 in 8 failure rates. My Gamecube once fell three feet while I was playing Smash Bros. and it was fine. A few months ago a drunk friend peed almost directly into my Wii. It's still fine!

But you want to talk obsolete and failed? The Gameboy Micro. I don't know many other people who've seen or played one in person, so check out this picture for a sense of scale:

Yeah, it's insanely small. It only plays GBA games, no backwards compatibility. Great battery life, easily the best screen of the GBA generation (backlit, instead of the frontlit SP screens), and you could change the faceplates to personalize it. Why was it such a dumb idea, and why did it sell so badly? They decided to release it a year after the Nintendo DS came out.

Have one, love it. If you have small hands and good eyesight, it's easily the best handheld ever made.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

One day in 2006, me and my brother were walking down the side of the road, and we found one of these. It actually looked pretty nice, I think it was the Famicom colored one.

But it had been ran over, and still worked fine, after bending the cartridge slot back into shape. My little brother played with it for about 2 years too. Someone clumsy with a 3DS XL tell me how they are, because if they're even half as tough as the GBA family, it would totally be worth it.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Manky posted:

The only reason I have ever seen one of these is because ironically I actually do have an uncle who works for Nintendo(sales rep), so he always has a ton of merchandise around his house.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Manky posted:

They decided to release it a year after the Nintendo DS came out.
I recall recently a story of some kid stumbling across this and going on about it being the next DS. Kind of gives an idea how quickly the DS buried this.

It did however come in this styling.

I heard the Nintendo Club in Japan also had a limited DS in that style as well.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Vorpal Cat posted:

The only reason I have ever seen one of these is because ironically I actually do have an uncle who works for Nintendo(sales rep), so he always has a ton of merchandise around his house.

I think this is the first believable Nintendo uncle story on the Internet.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was actually looking on eBay to see how much a Micro would cost me, and was surprised that they're still going for around $60. Considering you can get a used 3DS for around $80, you can guess what I bought. (Sure hope the 3DS doesn't appear here in a few more years.)

Now, for another failed Nintendo product, this time one I actually owned: The abysmal Nintendo e-Reader.

It sounded like a cool idea. For a few bucks you could buy a pack of cards and magically end up playing a game on your GBA. In reality it sucked, it doubled the size of the device, it cost $40 iirc, which could have gotten you two good used games. I used mine to play old NES games, which I could already do in Animal Crossing. Or an emulator. Or on the NES Classic games that Nintendo was making for the GBA. :psyduck:

You could also get cards to unlock exclusive items and things in other games, but as anyone who ever did the Gamecube - GBA link cable thing can tell you, it is almost never worth it.

I found mine in a box of my old Nintendo stuff and got a little mad about it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Manky posted:

Nintendo can have some silly ideas now and then, but drat if they can't make solid hardware

I saw a video of some guys dragging a game cube up and down and gravel road, then using it. Nintendo Power encouraged people to send in stories of hardware surviving massive abuse. The two I remember most are the GameBoy left out in the snow all winter, and the NES punctured by a rocking chair during a move. Nintendium is a hell of a substance.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Manky posted:

I had this, and it owned, especially since all the GBA games were massively discounted, and the original DS was enormous.

flippy piss posted:

I was the pin unbending master back in the day, and revived many processors others have given up on. High pin densities on modern AMD ones got really hard to fix though.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Have you never seen the processors where the land grids have been vaporized because of poor contact? The downside is you're dependent on the spring pressure to make the connection. The socket only survives a dozen or two insert/removals as well, but that's rarely an issue unless you're a hardware reviewer or something.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Manky posted:

(backlit, instead of the frontlit SP screens)

:eng101: Later models of the SP had backlit screens as well. The easiest way to tell which it is is to press the light button; if the light goes off, it's the older frontlit model, if it changes brightness instead, it's the newer backlit model.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
If I remember correctly, the backlit GBA SPs came out at the same time as the Micro did, so there wasn't really a reason to buy one of those.

ji_howa
Oct 30, 2005
Never look back

Radio Help posted:

My dad gave me his old HP 12c back in the day, and this thing is great for doing closing out tills at work. And it's like 28 years old.

It is still the choice calculator for financial analysts and actuaries even today!

douche ex machina
Oct 31, 2008

SC Bracer posted:

I left my GBA out in summer heat for about two weeks once when I went on vacation with family. I came back and ants had started building a house inside the game slot; literally there was a minute anthill inside of it. Shook them out, cleaned it up and despite the screen being a little discolored from all the sun absorption the thing worked fine.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Speaking of Nintendo hardware, my friends and I were playing one once, and someone pulled on their controller a bit too hard and pulled it our of the TV stand. drat think swung down about three feet and smacked off the front of the stand and didn't even skip. I'd wish that Nintendo made DS smart phone if I wouldn't need a friend code to call anybody.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

leidend posted:

Listened to it in the car with the old cassette adapter. These would break every few months

Couldn't use those fm adapters because there isn't a single "empty" radio station where I live.

When I bought my latest car, an aux port was a must.

I recently inherited an old-rear end pickup truck I was using to move across town with. I picked up one of these things at a Radio Shack for $15.00, poppped it in my tape deck and listened to some music for exactly one 10 mile ride. When I fired the pickup back up it promptly destroyed the tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Willfrey posted:

I recently inherited an old-rear end pickup truck I was using to move across town with. I picked up one of these things at a Radio Shack for $15.00, poppped it in my tape deck and listened to some music for exactly one 10 mile ride. When I fired the pickup back up it promptly destroyed the tape.

The FM adapters aren't much better. I got a $30 one and it worked for a few days (despite having to be angled juuust right for my antenna to pick up, and being overridden by other stations whenever I'd drive in a certain direction for more than a few minutes) and then died completely.