Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Philthy posted:

It was okay. Band of Brothers seemed to have more people with personalities, where Pacific had one or two main characters and the slack jaw crazy guy. It was pretty miserable.

If you haven't seen Generation Kill, watch that. I liked it more than Pacific, and almost as much as BoB. Lots of likable characters, and lots of people you want to punch in the face as well.

I liked the Pacific, but yeah, definitely in 3rd place compared to BoB and Generation Kill. I've now watched Pacific again with a friend of mine, and her complaint was roughly the same as mine - the characters seem, by and large, to be essentially interchangeable with only minimal differences to distinguish them from one another, which I don't feel really does justice to the men who were there. In Band of Brothers, you really got a feel for the individual soldiers and also the feeling that they were being played very true to the personalities of their real-life inspirations.

Pacific felt bigger picture - like we were getting a semi-strategic overview of things that would dig down to a grunt's eye view, but even though I knew all of the characters were based on real people and the events they took part in were real, I just didn't feel any connection to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Reddit had an ask/tell with Sterling Mace, a WW2 Pacific vet who was a rifle man on the front lines. He just came out with a book because he felt the Pacific didn't do it justice. His largest complaint was that the story was told mostly from a mortar guy, who was way too far in the back to know what was going on. He also said the air field capture, which he was a part of, was over the top. Only a half dozen got killed, where in the show it has dozens and dozens of people basically exploding left and right.

http://my.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/y1pdv/iama_wwii_marine_corps_rifleman_sterling_mace_and/

http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/article1079385.ece

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 26, 2012

Andorei
Jan 24, 2012

Laughingtransvestite.jpg
The Big Bang Theory. I don't know how it happened, I promised myself I would never touch it but here I am on season 5. After only two weeks.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
Thank you to the posters who suggested that I keep watching Prison Break. I'm through episode 10 now, and I am totally into it. The two-parter Riots, Drills, and the Devil were two of the most intense hours of television I have seen (outside of Breaking Bad and The Wire). It's nothing groundbreaking, but it is a cool concept (if borrowed from Shawshank Redemption) executed in a unique way, and a lot of the characters are very likeable, and very unlikeable in a good way (T-bag).

Also, I would like to further the sentiment that WWI deserves more love in television and movies. WWII is far more sexier because we have been inundated with it in school and in popular culture. I'm looking at you History (Hitler UFO) Channel. WWI and the events preceding it are just as fascinating, and it is a shame it doesn't get more coverage in school and media.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Exploder posted:

Thank you to the posters who suggested that I keep watching Prison Break. I'm through episode 10 now, and I am totally into it. The two-parter Riots, Drills, and the Devil were two of the most intense hours of television I have seen (outside of Breaking Bad and The Wire). It's nothing groundbreaking, but it is a cool concept (if borrowed from Shawshank Redemption) executed in a unique way, and a lot of the characters are very likeable, and very unlikeable in a good way (T-bag).

Just to forewarn you, there's a huge drop in quality from season three onwards. The last half of season 4 is almost unwatchable.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Flatscan posted:

Just to forewarn you, there's a huge drop in quality from season three onwards. The last half of season 4 is almost unwatchable.

Ironically, the first half of Season 4 is arguably better than Season 1 but maybe I'm in the minority on that.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Working on the ABC Family show Make it or Break it. It's pretty good so far, not what I thought it was going to be. The writing is smart and the story lines a pretty good so far. However the only thing that I don't like about is that none of the main characters really look like gymnasts. It's my only gripe, but what are you going to do about it.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Flatscan posted:

So I've heard, but I will watch it anyway. There seems to be mixed reviews. Like I previously mentioned, I watched season 6 of Lost, and I didn't hate it like everybody else. It wasn't nearly as good as the rest of the series, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the first five seasons. Same goes for 24.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

screenwritersblues posted:

Working on the ABC Family show Make it or Break it. It's pretty good so far, not what I thought it was going to be. The writing is smart and the story lines a pretty good so far. However the only thing that I don't like about is that none of the main characters really look like gymnasts. It's my only gripe, but what are you going to do about it.

Make it or Break it...lordy. Every time I say "I'm done with this show," I inevitably come back for more. Prepare for really corny story lines and some very heavy handed Christian preaching.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Since the beginning of the month, I've binged through all of Daria and the first six seasons of How I Met Your Mother and re-watched the first season of Archer and the third (and best) season of Boston Legal. I think either Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or Lost is next. Or finally watch non-Dalek (:3:) and non-Cybermen (:mitt:) episodes of Doctor Who.

Daria and How I Met Your Mother are both really, really good, even if HIMYM takes a pretty sharp dive in consistency in the later seasons (much like other series, it gets John Lithgow to breathe some life into it for a few good episodes).

Unemployment is a hell of a drug.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

FadingChord posted:

Since the beginning of the month, I've binged through all of Daria and the first six seasons of How I Met Your Mother and re-watched the first season of Archer and the third (and best) season of Boston Legal. I think either Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or Lost is next. Or finally watch non-Dalek (:3:) and non-Cybermen (:mitt:) episodes of Doctor Who.

Daria and How I Met Your Mother are both really, really good, even if HIMYM takes a pretty sharp dive in consistency in the later seasons (much like other series, it gets John Lithgow to breathe some life into it for a few good episodes).

Unemployment is a hell of a drug.

Do Lost, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad in that order. That way, when you are disappointed that you are finished with one awesome show, you have an even better show to watch next. But after all of that you will be depressed about having to wait another year until new Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Exploder posted:

Do Lost, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad in that order. That way, when you are disappointed that you are finished with one awesome show, you have an even better show to watch next. But after all of that you will be depressed about having to wait another year until new Mad Men and Breaking Bad.
The point was made earlier that Mad Men is a show that works better watching one episode per day. You could do Mad Men and Breaking Bad at the same time, even. Two Breaking Bads and one Mad Men per day.

Or go Lost, Breaking Bad, Mad Men.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Doctor Candiru posted:

The point was made earlier that Mad Men is a show that works better watching one episode per day. You could do Mad Men and Breaking Bad at the same time, even. Two Breaking Bads and one Mad Men per day.

Or go Lost, Breaking Bad, Mad Men.

Breaking Bad works best as a show where you start the first season not knowing what you're getting into and end chaining cans of Red Bull to finish the entire series in one sitting.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I've caught up with Breaking Bad and all my other recent shows, so now I'm doing a full rewatch of Star Trek, starting with the original series. I had completely forgotten every minute of the pilot episode.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Exploder posted:

Also, I would like to further the sentiment that WWI deserves more love in television and movies. WWII is far more sexier because we have been inundated with it in school and in popular culture. I'm looking at you History (Hitler UFO) Channel. WWI and the events preceding it are just as fascinating, and it is a shame it doesn't get more coverage in school and media.

To be honest, WWI wouldn't work at all as a war film, so it's not really comparable to the WWII stuff we know. A movie/series about WWI should be a horror movie/political drama/period piece.

On topic: I took a break from Breaking Bad and I'm blasting through the first season of Suits at the moment. Compared to BB it's lighthearted, and each episode has it's own plot line that wraps up nicely. It doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before, but it's just so drat watchable.

I'm currently also going working through QI in its entirety

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've just finished the first season of Life on Mars UK version. It's 5 am and I'm going to start on the second season instead of going to sleep. I freaking love this show. The best part is every part. The time travel is loving with my mind and there are some truly unexpectedly unsettling/scary moments.

After this, I'll finish Spaced. God, I love British TV.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Exploder posted:

Prison Break is one of my favorite shows behind The X-Files, The Wire, and Lost. The first season is one of the best seasons of TV ever.

T-Bag is so creepily cool and awesome. One of my favorite T-bag moments occurs in season 3 (or 4, can't recall) when Bellick dies and T-Bag gives a speech paying tribute to him. I teared up at both the actual death and hearing T-bag .

I really wish the series Breakout Kings had done more with his character. One episode was not enough and it seems the character had a lot of depth with which to work.

After watching Prison Break I hunted down other things the actors had done and found myself hooked on John Doe (starring Dominic Purcell). It's not fantastic but it's entertaining enough and has a really cool premise. It's a shame it ended early, but apparently there is a sort of resolution and explanation about John Doe's abilities sometime before the end of the series though I haven't gotten that far.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 28, 2012

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

empty sea posted:

I've just finished the first season of Life on Mars UK version. It's 5 am and I'm going to start on the second season instead of going to sleep. I freaking love this show. The best part is every part. The time travel is loving with my mind and there are some truly unexpectedly unsettling/scary moments.

After this, I'll finish Spaced. God, I love British TV.

Did you watch the UK version on a streaming service, and if so which one? I checked Hulu and Netflix but didn't see it listed on either.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

pahuyuth posted:

Did you watch the UK version on a streaming service, and if so which one? I checked Hulu and Netflix but didn't see it listed on either.
It's streaming free on Amazon Prime.

I got a few episodes in and still couldn't tell characters apart. (I have a tough time telling white people apart sometimes, though.) Also, I didn't really care about the main guy. I think I'm in the minority on this.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

thrakkorzog posted:

Yeah, they brought in Jon Lovitz to replace Hartman. But the show just wasn't the same.

If it makes you feel any better, Jon Lovitz eventually beat the poo poo out of Andy Dick for his role in Phil Hartman's death.

It's really loving weird how they brought Lovitz into the fold. He played the guy who was going to jump out of the building and the guy who was loving with Bill in the insane asylum too. There's no explanation how he plays three different characters at three different points in the show.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

It's really loving weird how they brought Lovitz into the fold. He played the guy who was going to jump out of the building and the guy who was loving with Bill in the insane asylum too. There's no explanation how he plays three different characters at three different points in the show.

I thought it suited the show really well. Just a goofy thing that isn't really explained and you just have to shrug and laugh.

I think they had some pretty decent episodes post-Hartman, and it's worth watching through season five at least once because the rest of the cast is still spot on (and even Lovitz kind of gets good), but obviously the great episodes are pre-Max Lewis.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I thought the end of the Max arc was pretty decent. Seeing Jimmy all desperate and what not.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm pretty sure David Cross shows up as 2 different characters, as well.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Watching The Shield, just finished season 5, Shane is such an irredeemable oval office. I hope he gets murdered.

Execu-speak fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 30, 2012

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The D. B. Cooper two-parter is pretty fun, and in general I feel like the fifth season of Newsradio is still worth watching. Lovitz is definitely the weak point of the cast, but this is a show that makes Andy Dick seem downright loveable most of the time.

Chamberk posted:

I'm pretty sure David Cross shows up as 2 different characters, as well.

Jimmy's weird magician nephew (with a magic tongue coin) who dates Beth and a member of Dave's old a capella group (NOT a barbershop quartet), "Chock Full O' Notes!"

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 30, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FadingChord posted:

The D. B. Cooper two-parter is pretty fun, and in general I feel like the fifth season of Newsradio is still worth watching. Lovitz is definitely the weak point of the cast, but this is a show that makes Andy Dick seem downright loveable most of the time.

Jimmy's weird magician nephew (with a magic tongue coin) who dates Beth and a member of Dave's old a capella group (NOT a barbershop quartet), "Chock Full O' Notes!"

Chock Full O' Notes! was just the cast of Mr. Show. Oh that Saul

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The thing that endears me to NewsRadio is that it seems like everyone involved in the show both "got" it, and had an insane amount of fun working on it. I honestly can't think of a single bad episode in the show's first four seasons, and then they sort of had a huge dynamic change thrust upon them in the fifth season but still managed to pull out a really solid bunch of comedy.

It's one of those shows that really holds up to how funny I remember it being.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Ok, maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking for something to sink my teeth into.

I want an action/thriller/drama series, or even scifi. But I need something that's got longer running arcs. Thought about giving Castle another go, I stopped watching that a while back.

Also, I love reading people here raving about discovering Supernatural. It's awesome.

Sooo, any tips?

Edit: Also, I'm a sucker for any kind of conspiracy stuff at the highest levels of government, or shady government operations/organizations in general.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 31, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

richardfun posted:

Ok, maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking for something to sink my teeth into.

I want an action/thriller/drama series, or even scifi. But I need something that's got longer running arcs. Thought about giving Castle another go, I stopped watching that a while back.

Also, I love reading people here raving about discovering Supernatural. It's awesome.

Sooo, any tips?

Babylon 5, Homicide, Farscape, Veronica Mars

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Babylon 5, Homicide, Farscape, Veronica Mars

Tried Babylon 5 and Farscape, couldn't really get into it. Homocide is on my list, but I still remember how hard it was getting into The Wire (which I have seen twice since). Need something a little lighter.

What else have you got? :)

Edit: actually, I feel like watching some West Wing, but I always forget which are the really amazing episodes. Anyone got any titles for me?

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 31, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

richardfun posted:

Tried Babylon 5 and Farscape, couldn't really get into it. Homocide is on my list, but I still remember how hard it was getting into The Wire (which I have seen twice since). Need something a little lighter.

What else have you got? :)

Edit: actually, I feel like watching some West Wing, but I always forget which are the really amazing episodes. Anyone got any titles for me?

Oz, Misfits, Being Human, Luther, Sherlock

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 31, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

richardfun posted:

Sooo, any tips?

Edit: Also, I'm a sucker for any kind of conspiracy stuff at the highest levels of government, or shady government operations/organizations in general.

You might want to check out the Shadow Line, a BBC series, 6 episodes of police conspiracy fun

quote:

A noir thriller with diverse individuals whose worlds become interwoven after the murder of drug baron Harvey Wratten.

From the cop with a bullet in his brain, whose amnesia leaves him doubtful of his own moral compass; to the drug-lord driven by a profound personal tragedy, risking it all on one last deal; to the brilliantly lethal puppet-master who gradually emerges from the shadows to bring the story to its shocking climax The Shadow Line explores the morality of these characters as they negotiate the repercussions of Wratten's death and attempt to navigate the fine line between right and wrong.

As the thread around Wratten's operation begins to unravel, the web of intrigue becomes more complex and the question of which side of the line they stand on becomes increasingly blurred. An intelligent and gripping conspiracy thriller that delves to the heart of human morality, The Shadow Line will have audiences enthralled over six taut and thrilling episodes. Faced with similar dilemmas, on which side of the line would you stand?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Oz, Misfits, Being Human, Luther, Sherlock

Ah, that's a good one. Saw some of it on tv when I was younger, but never really got into it. Cheers!

richardfun fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 31, 2012

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

richardfun posted:

Sooo, any tips?

How about 24? Though I might just be suggesting that because I just got the first four seasons of 24 and want to rewatch them now.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

You might want to check out the Shadow Line, a BBC series, 6 episodes of police conspiracy fun

Oooooh, BBC stuff. Loved the new Sherlock Holmes. Guess I've got more than just Oz to take a look at.

And feel free to keep suggestions coming. If it helps, these are some of the shows I watch/have watched.

Supernatural
Alphas
Breaking Bad
SG-1/Atlantis
The Wire
The Shield
True Blood
Falling Skies (I know, alien invasion just does it for me, even if it's often terrible).
Nikita (everybody should watch this loving show. It has no business being as good as it is, but it just is)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

richardfun posted:

Oooooh, BBC stuff. Loved the new Sherlock Holmes. Guess I've got more than just Oz to take a look at.

And feel free to keep suggestions coming. If it helps, these are some of the shows I watch/have watched.

Supernatural
Alphas
Breaking Bad
SG-1/Atlantis
The Wire
The Shield
True Blood
Falling Skies (I know, alien invasion just does it for me, even if it's often terrible).
Nikita (everybody should watch this loving show. It has no business being as good as it is, but it just is)

If you like Shield watch Justified.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

If you like Shield watch Justified.

I have :)

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Doctor Candiru posted:

I got a few episodes in and still couldn't tell characters apart. (I have a tough time telling white people apart sometimes, though.)

After finishing Life on Mars, this is the most hilarious comment.

God, that show was good. It wasn't just good because of the sci-fi aspect, but also the crime show aspect. I don't even enjoy crime shows but this one was great. Just enough twists so that you didn't guess the murderer ten minutes in. And the time travel/wtf is happening parts were amazing.

My only complaint is that the finale should've been 2 episodes to deal with all the twists. And that more people noticed that Sam was insane.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

richardfun posted:

Supernatural
Alphas
Breaking Bad
SG-1/Atlantis
The Wire
The Shield
True Blood

Watch Misfits, another UK show about a bunch of wasters who get superpowers, it's really fantastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud8AJDaAW7c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Coffee And Pie posted:

How about 24? Though I might just be suggesting that because I just got the first four seasons of 24 and want to rewatch them now.

I was going to suggest that too. Even rewatching it, I still find it to be one of the few shows that got it "right" immediately. While it has it's missteps, and later some clear repeated plots, I say it remains one of the most entertaining action/dramas ever made. It became essentially Die Hard- the TV Series, and no other show comes close to having that honour.