Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

gibbed posted:

No-logo hack: http://mod.gib.me/darksouls/pc/nologo.zip

Extract to your game directory (where DATA.exe is). It won't break GFWL. Shouldn't cause any issues with the resolution hack.

This is now fixed and is no longer causing crashes! :toot:

Thank you very much for this, gibbed! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Edit: Sorry for the double post, edit =/= quote.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Nahxela posted:

Maybe New Londo is haunted :tinfoil:

:aaa:

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Tolain posted:

Is BKGA pretty sweet as a 2-hander? I'm 4 points away from being able to 2-hand it, but I'm not sure if I want to invest the full 36 points into STR since my VIT is still only 10. :ohdear:

Not really. It's real strength is in it's 1-handed attack which does almost as much damage, has a much better arc, longer range, is faster, and you can block with a shield.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 31, 2012

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
So, I don't think anyone has posted here about this before, thought I'd mention it.

DLC Spoilers: So I'm being a dick on NG+ and killing a lot of NPCs for their stuff. After I had him shoot down Kalameet, I decided to attack Hawkeye Gough. He actually has a ton of health (On NG+ at least), does a lot of damage and you fight in really close quarters. But there's a trick. If you stand still, he can't hear you. And since he's blind, he will have no idea where you are. Equipping the Fog Ring helps with this even more, as far as I can tell. I like that the a couple of the NPC's, like Ciaran, are actually pretty dangerous when provoked.

Oh, here's some pictures of his armor for those interested.

DLC Armor Spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/RqRi2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wvwya.jpg

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Macksy posted:

Not really. It's real strength is in it's 1-handed attack, which does almost as much damage, has a much better arc, longer range, and is faster to boot, and you can block with a shield.
Yeah, the BKGA is really a weapon you want to be able to 1h. The 1h R1 attacks aren't quite as strong as the much slower 1h attacks of some of the other large weapons (still quite good though), but the speed, arc and reach are all excellent. Plus, they chain together very well. When you are trying to efficiently turn stamina into damage, just chaining the 1H R1 is probably what you want to do. The attacks chain much better than the BK halberd for instance, which has a pretty brutal delay after the second attack.

The 1H R2 is basically a really slow jump attack. It does big damage, but it is so slow that it is useless outside of whacking stationary enemies for laughs.

I do find myself 2h'ing the BKGA a decent bit too though. The 2H R1 does an alternating sort of vertical slash. It does come out pretty fast, and does nice damage. With how low it comes up you can sometimes use it to get underneath the shields of enemies like the giants in anor londo. You can two shot the giants in the hallway before O&S with it, for example. No healing for those suckers.

The 2H R2 is a slow windup sort of golf shot. Does a lot of damage, and takes a huge amount of stamina. Again, mostly for laughs. The only notable thing about it is that it tracks very well. Once the actual lift of the axe starts you pretty much pivot on a dime to face whatever you are attacking.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 31, 2012

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can buy it from https://www.greenmangaming.com for $30 using the coupon code GMG25-LABOR-DAYGO

The site is a legit retailer, and the key they give you can be inputted into steam to get it there as well.

Does anyone know a way to make this work in the EU? If someone in the US bought it for me, would the key work in my region?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DiscoMouse posted:

Does anyone know a way to make this work in the EU? If someone in the US bought it for me, would the key work in my region?
I doubt it, it's just a usual Steam key and aren't those all divided up by region?

edit: vvv I think that's by design, or there would be a lot less reason to use bows.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

One thing I wish was in the game was being able to aim miracles like Lightning Spear as you can with a Bow. It sucks when you have to always aim for the center mass because of lock on.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

DiscoMouse posted:

The GMG Labour Day code should work in countries besides the US (they sent me an email and I'm in the UK). It's only active from the 2nd to the 4th though, so you'll have to wait a bit.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

OneTrueBru posted:

The GMG Labour Day code should work in countries besides the US (they sent me an email and I'm in the UK). It's only active from the 2nd to the 4th though, so you'll have to wait a bit.

Right, sorry, I presumed it was already activated, it was doing nothing for me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

My connection seems to be crappy as hell. It takes forever for me to get summoned/invaded, and when I do, things tend to be kinda laggy, but thankfully not too badly. Ghosts and messages are all over the place, but trying to actually connect for JOLLY COOPERATION is a nightmare.

I've read that GFWL uses the same ports as Xbox Live. Would it help to disconnect my Xbox before I play? And what ports should I be opening, anyway? I saw a few posted earlier, but forgot to write them down, and don't really want to go digging through the whole thread right now :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Crowetron posted:

My connection seems to be crappy as hell. It takes forever for me to get summoned/invaded, and when I do, things tend to be kinda laggy, but thankfully not too badly. Ghosts and messages are all over the place, but trying to actually connect for JOLLY COOPERATION is a nightmare.

I've read that GFWL uses the same ports as Xbox Live. Would it help to disconnect my Xbox before I play? And what ports should I be opening, anyway? I saw a few posted earlier, but forgot to write them down, and don't really want to go digging through the whole thread right now :(

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/support/pages/troubleshootingissues.aspx

The port you need to forward is 3074. That is the same port as XBL though and depending on your router things may not work properly. You may want to manually override the port with the registry and pick something else. There are port override instructions near the bottom of that link.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is it important to learn how to parry early on in the game? I'm having a lot of trouble getting the timing down. Would I be better off just blocking and attacking? I'm still in the very first stage. This game is brutal, and I love it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it important to learn how to parry early on in the game? I'm having a lot of trouble getting the timing down. Would I be better off just blocking and attacking? I'm still in the very first stage. This game is brutal, and I love it.

It can trivialize some enemies, but I never learned to parry until my fourth of fifth play through. Don't worry about it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

havenwaters posted:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/support/pages/troubleshootingissues.aspx

The port you need to forward is 3074. That is the same port as XBL though and depending on your router things may not work properly. You may want to manually override the port with the registry and pick something else. There are port override instructions near the bottom of that link.

Thanks, I'll try that. Is there a specific port I'd want to override it with, or can I just pick any number between the two listed values?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Bioshuffle posted:

The easiest way to parry is to block the first hit of a combo and then parry the second one. You get a sense of the timing easily, and it helps you learn how to parry first hits as well.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Thanks, I'll try that. Is there a specific port I'd want to override it with, or can I just pick any number between the two listed values?

It doesn't really matter so long as it is not in use by some other program. You probably should not choose one of the ports in that list since GFWL is probably using them for other things. Port 3076 isn't used by much but Rainbow 6: Vegas so, could try that.

edit: you can also take a look at this post on Steam which goes into more detail on ways to make GFWL play nice. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2902926

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 31, 2012

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Bioshuffle posted:

You can get by without parrying for the most part, but it does make things a lot easier. Some things to keep in mind, though

1. You need to be like, right up in your opponent's face. The game doesn't take weapon length into account, so parrying a dagger and parrying a halberd both require the same distance.

2. The actual window for parrying stuff is at the very beginning of the animation. All the flourishes and stuff come after the parry window has already passed. It feels weird, but always parry earlier than you'd think.

3. Make sure what you're trying to parry can be parried. You probably don't need help with this, but make sure it's wielding a weapon and is human shaped and roughly your size. If it's bigger than a black knight, don't bother trying to parry it, just get the hell out of it's way or block.

Once you learn how to reliably parry something, it becomes grossly non-threatening for the most part.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Is there no PvP going on in sen's fortress? I was walking around for hours in there and no one ever invaded. The place seems tailor-made for some intense chases and matches.

And does no one use summons for the boss? I haven't been summoned once in the fortress. I even pumped some souls into levels, thinking that high twenties might be too low, but still nothing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The way I visualize it, that might be helpful to you, is actually physically knocking the enemy's arm away as they swing at you.

I spent a good 20 minutes in the starting dungeon just murdering and getting murdered by those weak little red zombies experimenting with the timing until I got the hang of it before I started the game proper, and I don't regret it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Am I correct in assuming you can't parry with the great shield of Artorias? My character makes some bash animation with it and I couldn't manage to parry anything no matter how hard I tried. :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

keyframe posted:

Am I correct in assuming you can't parry with the great shield of Artorias? My character makes some bash animation with it and I couldn't manage to parry anything no matter how hard I tried. :(

I think the super large shields do just that, shield bash instead of parry.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

keyframe posted:

You are correct. Weapons that are classified as greatshields do a shield bash instead of a parry. Pretty much any from the eagle shield and up is a greatshield.

GnuUzir
Oct 16, 2009
Can anyone help me with the Gaping Dragon? I am level 30.

edit:
Killed him.

GnuUzir fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 1, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

havenwaters posted:

You are correct. Weapons that are classified as greatshields do a shield bash instead of a parry. Pretty much any from the eagle shield and up is a greatshield.

Also the Pierce Shield and Spiked Shield, and possibly the Crystal Ring Shield but I've never used it personally - I think it shoots a laser instead of parrying or something.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Whoever thought that it would be a cool idea to put 3600 torches in Blighttown: gently caress you.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

VisAbsoluta posted:

Whoever thought that it would be a cool idea to put 3600 torches in Blighttown: gently caress you.
Are you saying you want Blighttown to be pitch black? :allears:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm saying that I want something that doesn't make it run terribly in my computer, as opposed to the rest of the game. :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

HenryEx posted:

Is there no PvP going on in sen's fortress? I was walking around for hours in there and no one ever invaded. The place seems tailor-made for some intense chases and matches.

Oh there definitely is, I got invaded right after I found the bonfire and was trying to kill the big mace knight. That was fun.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 1, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm saying that I want something that doesn't make it run terribly in my computer, as opposed to the rest of the game. :(

An experience true to the console :D

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

gibbed posted:

Are you saying you want Blighttown to be pitch black? :allears:

I don't know about that, but the way the HDR works there frustrates the hell out of me. When you're down in the swamp you can see like 2 feet because everything adjusts for the light your character puts out, but then you look up and you're like... wait, there's sky above me? Why does the whole level only light up when I'm looking at the light source?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

TerminalBlue posted:

I don't know about that, but the way the HDR works there frustrates the hell out of me. When you're down in the swamp you can see like 2 feet because everything adjusts for the light your character puts out, but then you look up and you're like... wait, there's sky above me?

Have you found the Valley of Drakes exit to Blighttown? The jarring "oh okay take the green filter away now" both makes me sick and is extremely funny.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

And does no one use summons for the boss? I haven't been summoned once in the fortress. I even pumped some souls into levels, thinking that high twenties might be too low, but still nothing.

That's because people are stupid. Sen's is the best place to invade.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Veev posted:

Have you found the Valley of Drakes exit to Blighttown? The jarring "oh okay take the green filter away now" both makes me sick and is extremely funny.

Hah, yeah. Just a little jarring, that.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Shima Honnou posted:

Also the Pierce Shield and Spiked Shield, and possibly the Crystal Ring Shield but I've never used it personally - I think it shoots a laser instead of parrying or something.
Yeah, it shoots out a laser ring.
Also, don't forget the Bonewheel shield.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Artix74 posted:

Oh there definitely is, I got invaded right after I found the bonfire and was trying to kill the big mace knight. That was fun.

What soul level were you when you got invaded in the fortress?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

HenryEx posted:

What soul level were you when you got invaded in the fortress?

41? 44? Something like that.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I killed ingrid in londo ruins, except i didn't get a key to drain the ruins, i went and checked the lost and found box in firelink, except its empty still. Even placed the lord vessel, and reloaded my game several times.

Where did the key go? And what do I do?

*EDIT* OH gently caress OFF

quote:

!!!!IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PC VERSION!!!!: On the PC PTD Edition, killing Ingward is currently bugged, and he may not always drop the Key to the Seal. It is currently unknown what causes this, but the key becomes completely unrecoverable (quitting/loading or visiting the chest in Fire Link Shrine do not work) effectively preventing you from completing the game.

Does anyone know if there is a way to hack in the key using cheat engine or something? I don't think i have it in me to restart a third time. Jesus gently caress.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DLC Question:

It is possible to get those sweet Hedge clippers? Or the huge hammer from the ancient stone knights?

• Locked thread