Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Isn't using an x64 build a bit pointless at the moment? What advantages do they have over x86 builds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Only Shallow posted:

I just updated to Firefox 15 (OS X) and can't figure out how to disable the new rounded Chrome-style tabs. They don't play well with TreeStyleTabs.

I didn't see anything obvious in about :config and found nothing useful on Google.

This would be something that could be modified in your userChrome.css, but if you're planning on doing it yourself it's going to be a fair bit of CSS work for you.

This is also something that the developer of TreeStyleTabs should be taking care of - it's a bad sign if they're going out of date. I'm not sure if there's a way to undo the rounded tabs, it would be related to the Theme that you use.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Only Shallow posted:

I just updated to Firefox 15 (OS X) and can't figure out how to disable the new rounded Chrome-style tabs. They don't play well with TreeStyleTabs.

I didn't see anything obvious in about :config and found nothing useful on Google.

I'm not seeing what's wrong in that picture? It looks fine to me.

For what it's worth I also have Tree-Style tabs with FF15, although on Windows, and the tab area looks just like it did before:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm running TreeStyleTabs and it's working just fine on the latest Aurora 16a2.

Check to make sure you're running the newest version of the extension, and try out a profile wipe for good measure.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Isn't using an x64 build a bit pointless at the moment? What advantages do they have over x86 builds?

For me it's that 64 bit Flash and Java run a lot better than 32 bit. But also the browser in general feels a lot snappier with hundreds of tabs open (which is how I roll) than the 32 bit version, despite the silly JS benchmarks that don't have much to do with day to day browsing.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

When I tried it out it only felt just a little snappier, not a lot snappier. Maybe it's become more snappy since I last tried it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

NihilCredo posted:

I'm not seeing what's wrong in that picture? It looks fine to me.

For what it's worth I also have Tree-Style tabs with FF15, although on Windows, and the tab area looks just like it did before:

The problem is the grey curved shapes on the left and right of each tab. It's the cutout of the Chrome tab shape, but it's not at all appropriate for the Tree-style tabs.

I suspect it might have something to do with the Mac theme, as FF 15 on Windows doesn't have rounded tabs for me. Can anyone else on OS X give it a shot?

Standish
May 21, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

also 64-bit builds are more secure because ASLR has more bits to work with. 32-bit ASLR isn't much more than a speedbump.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

And claims of it being "slower" are pretty much bullshit, if you have a 64 bit system anywhere near recent, like a Core i5 from the generation that was before Sandy Bridge or a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge Core i3; any "slowness" will only show up on meaningless benchmarks not daily browsing.
Look, this isn't five years ago. JavaScript performance is extremely important, probably the most important aspect of browser performance, and it's only going to get more important as more workloads move to JS. One example is that Firefox's native PDF reader, pdf.js, is extremely sensitive to JS performance since decoding and rendering PDFs is a very heavy workload.

The balance between 64-bit and 32-bit is pretty simple: Compiling to 64-bit offers no advantages over 32-bit for normal usage, just slower JavaScript performance. You can argue that if you have hundreds of tabs open you might see better memory handling, which might be enough to offset the JavaScript performance loss, but that absolutely does not change the fact that a 64-bit browser will be slower for the people reading this thread asking the question.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Aurora 17 seems pretty stable to me so far. I like the new tab movement behaviour, though it caught me off-guard at first.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

Look, this isn't five years ago. JavaScript performance is extremely important, probably the most important aspect of browser performance, and it's only going to get more important as more workloads move to JS. One example is that Firefox's native PDF reader, pdf.js, is extremely sensitive to JS performance since decoding and rendering PDFs is a very heavy workload.

The balance between 64-bit and 32-bit is pretty simple: Compiling to 64-bit offers no advantages over 32-bit for normal usage, just slower JavaScript performance. You can argue that if you have hundreds of tabs open you might see better memory handling, which might be enough to offset the JavaScript performance loss, but that absolutely does not change the fact that a 64-bit browser will be slower for the people reading this thread asking the question.

Ok, again, PDFs load up and work perfectly fast in my 64 bit browser. Everything javascript works perfectly fine, and as far as I can tell the "extra" speed in 32 bit is as useless as the extra fps in a video game once it already achieves a smooth 60 fps. Like if I have some game on my PC that technically renders 90 fps in one configuration and 80 fps in another, it's invisible on my screen that only handles 60 fps.

And the benefits of ASLR working, and 64 bit Java and Flash being more stable and better performing are also great benefits to using 64 bit. It's not like I have some beefy high end system here either, it's a laptop that cost $1150 a year ago.

And ironically enough, 64 bit Waterfox usually uses less RAM for me than 32 bit Firefox.

Basically people should stop acting like 64 bit is a magic performance killer for Firefox, because it isn't. Hell, the HTML5 Game Boy Color emulator site runs full speed for me, as does the PDF renderer.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The default installation of Waterfox includes the AVG toolbar but notes that the AVG toolbar is 32 bit only. :psyduck:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I hope AVG paid them to include it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I removed the link to Waterfox from the OP, they can be put back if they stop bundling crapware with their build of an explicitly crap-free browser. I struckout the link to Blazing Fast, as it hasn't been updated since Firefox 13. I also added a note explaining that 64-bit builds have slower JavaScript performance, but I tried to be diplomatic and didn't say anything about performance in general (aside from the obligatory note that Pale Moon 64-bit is garbage).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So, where can one get a decent 64 bit build now if Palemoon's is awful and Waterfox bundles garbage?

Also, anyone else having a dumb issue where the address bar doesn't work til you actually load a page? I use an empty tab for a start page and it's a little annoying.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 31, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

So, where can one get a decent 64 bit build now if Palemoon's is awful and Waterfox bundles garbage?

You can just not select the AVG bar when installing Waterfox? I didn't even notice it was in the main install package, I just use the auto-update service and it doesn't bundle there, so I've not had a chance to see the manual update installer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Haven't actually looked, just saw Alereon having a fit about it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

xamphear posted:

I'm running TreeStyleTabs and it's working just fine on the latest Aurora 16a2.

Check to make sure you're running the newest version of the extension, and try out a profile wipe for good measure.

Horizontal tabs have been broken since a very late version of Aurora 15. This is thanks to a glitch in the renderer that has been caught, and has been fixed in the 17 nightlies for a month or so now.

Vertical tabs have been running like silk, happily.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bieeardo posted:

Horizontal tabs have been broken since a very late version of Aurora 15. This is thanks to a glitch in the renderer that has been caught, and has been fixed in the 17 nightlies for a month or so now.

Vertical tabs have been running like silk, happily.

Ahh, I see. I don't know anyone running TST in Horizontal mode... Seems to kind of defeat the point.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a habit of leaving tabs open, and the stair-stacking effect was nice for when I had some stuff I didn't want to forget but wasn't going to get to until later. Just switched to vertical, so I'll see how that works out.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I just upgraded to Firefox 15 and I have one minor problem. I want my tabs bar under the address bar. I can't figure out how to do this.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

vanbags posted:

I just upgraded to Firefox 15 and I have one minor problem. I want my tabs bar under the address bar. I can't figure out how to do this.

Right-click the tab bar and uncheck "Tabs on Top".

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

m2pt5 posted:

Right-click the tab bar and uncheck "Tabs on Top".
I'm not seeing that option. Anywhere I right click only allows me to check which toolbars I want visible.

edit: After extensive googling it seems like I can only fix this with about :config. What a weird inconvenience.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 1, 2012

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the subject of moving the tab bar, how can I move the tabs to the side? At work I have a triple monitor setup, and because of desk space I've decided to rotate my center monitor 90 degrees so it's longer hight-wise. While it makes reading things more like a sheet of paper which is nice, it only allow room for about 7 tabs before they start scrolling.

Being the tab whore I am, I'd love being able to access the tabs on the side, or allow the tab bar to take up a few rows on the top. Anyone know a good extension that does this?

thepartyrobot
Oct 18, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

While we're on the subject of moving the tab bar, how can I move the tabs to the side? At work I have a triple monitor setup, and because of desk space I've decided to rotate my center monitor 90 degrees so it's longer hight-wise. While it makes reading things more like a sheet of paper which is nice, it only allow room for about 7 tabs before they start scrolling.

Being the tab whore I am, I'd love being able to access the tabs on the side, or allow the tab bar to take up a few rows on the top. Anyone know a good extension that does this?

Tree Style Tab is pretty good.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tree Style Tab is a tab addict's best friend. Great for managing those hundred tab wiki crawls. And it defaults to a vertical tab bar. e:f;b

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
That looks pretty good, I'll have to try that when I get back to work.

I'd try it now, but I just realized I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on the computer I'm stuck using for the weekend. I hope there's a good reason for this :pray:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Drunk Badger posted:

That looks pretty good, I'll have to try that when I get back to work.

I'd try it now, but I just realized I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on the computer I'm stuck using for the weekend. I hope there's a good reason for this :pray:

If you want to avoid modifying the software on that computer for whatever reason, you could drop a copy of Firefox Portable on it and delete it when you're done with the machine.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

vanbags posted:

I'm not seeing that option. Anywhere I right click only allows me to check which toolbars I want visible.

edit: After extensive googling it seems like I can only fix this with about :config. What a weird inconvenience.

That's plain odd; I get it in the context menu (along with all the other toolbars) when I right-click the menu bar, the navigation bar, or the tab bar. (Also my extra toolbar, which I forget how I got in the first place.)

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

m2pt5 posted:

That's plain odd; I get it in the context menu (along with all the other toolbars) when I right-click the menu bar, the navigation bar, or the tab bar. (Also my extra toolbar, which I forget how I got in the first place.)

The option was removed in version 15.

http://www.addictivetips.com/web/firefox-15-new-features-changes/

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

However:

quote:

To enable it, go to about :config, find browser.tabs.onTop and double click to enable it (set the value to False). The feature, when it’s value is set to True disables the Tabs on Top option; setting the value to False tells your browser to stop hiding it.
Hiding an option and making things more cumbersome for the users... what are the developers smoking? Oh right, the Chrome-weed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pilsner posted:

However:

Hiding an option and making things more cumbersome for the users... what are the developers smoking? Oh right, the Chrome-weed.

They're eventually planning to remove the option altogether, they just haven't got round to removing the code for it.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They're eventually planning to remove the option altogether, they just haven't got round to removing the code for it.
What? Why?

I can't fathom the reasoning for that decision.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Because leaving that option in there adds unnecessary complexity, especially when somebody who really really cares will just make a Bottom-Tabs-4-Evar extension which does the same thing.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

That's funny and sad because even though I prefer tabs on bottom removing the option is dumb. In Chrome it's been explicitly stated that tabs must be on top no further discussion permitted.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
To me it makes perfect sense to remove the feature, and leave it to add-on developers to put back in if people want it that badly. It removes code that 99% of Firefox users won't need, while the 1% who do want it can add it back in.

If you can't take the 3 minutes to find and install the TabsOnBottom4EVA extension, then I guess it really didn't matter that much to you, did it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't see why you'd need to make it an extension thing, when it can just be one of the thousands of deprecated features that are re-enableable by way of about:config?

Remove the option from the default customization menu? Sure. But removing it from about:config is just silly.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't see why you'd need to make it an extension thing, when it can just be one of the thousands of deprecated features that are re-enableable by way of about :config?

Remove the option from the default customization menu? Sure. But removing it from about :config is just silly.

If you remove the code entirely, you don't have to support anything about it in future releases. Keeping it around in about :config means that you have to make sure it at least kind of works.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

So I was just push-updated to 17.02a of Aurora from whatever version of 16 I was on and it opened up a slew of problems. I can't access my Add-Ons at all, links that open in new tabs open twice, the back/forward buttons have reverted to Firefox 2 style, and I clicking on "Submit Feedback" won't even open anything. What the gently caress happened?

e: I restarted with add-ons disabled and I think something was conflicting. Sorry for the trigger-happy post

e2: Tab Mix Plus seems to be the culprit. Had to install the newest dev build from here.

bunky fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapinga posted:

If you remove the code entirely, you don't have to support anything about it in future releases. Keeping it around in about :config means that you have to make sure it at least kind of works.

I don't see what heavy-duty code you need to put the tab bar under address bar. You could simply have it keep the same styling as the tab on tops even, and rely on someone making a theme to pretty them back up.