Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone checked out the patch yet? The 1.5 patch has some really awesome, surprising changes. I don't think I've ever heard of a PC port getting these kinds of features added in by a patch.

http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2760

Controls & Camera
    *New option added! Aim Soft Lock: Lets the player enable or disable aiming assistance from the game
    *New option added! Mouse Free Look: Enables/disables camera auto-centering behind the player when using the mouse and on foot
    *New option added! Mouse Raw Input: When enabled, input is sampled directly from the mouse which improves responsiveness and accuracy on supported mice
    *New option added! Mouse Sensitivity: A modifier that determines how much speed is recorded from mouse movement

There are some other cool changes, but that's the stuff that leapt out at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I love finding new things to do in this game by just accidentally discovering them. Oh, I can wall kick? Well sure, I'll do that for an entire fight, yes I will.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who's still on the fence about this game should know that GreenManGaming.com has a code that'll let you get it for $35: GMG30-916H7-0TG16

(I went back a few pages and couldn't find anything about it, so hopefully I wasn't beaten.)

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Sylink posted:

PC port sucks with KB/Mouse. Its super obnoxious to drive to the point I just gave up.

And gently caress gamepads.

I'm another person who found the keyboard + mouse controls to be an exercise in frustration. Driving was OK. However the mouse was pretty unresponsive in combat. Even in the combat tutorials, pulling off a combo (e.g. quick left click then hold left) didn't work the majority of the time. Rizuhbull - maybe worth adding something to the OP about the PC version playing much better with a gamepad.

The save system is also pretty odd for a PC game. It doesn't put you right back at the point and place that you saved. Instead it teleports you back to your apartment at the 'proper' save point preceeding wherever you were.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Since they just added mouse sensitivity in the new patch, you might want to see if it helps. I eventually got used to the wonky driving camera, but perhaps the new settings will make it more usable.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Technogeek posted:

Anyone who's still on the fence about this game should know that GreenManGaming.com has a code that'll let you get it for $35: GMG30-916H7-0TG16

(I went back a few pages and couldn't find anything about it, so hopefully I wasn't beaten.)

Thanks for this. I was literally a minute away from purchasing it on Steam.

I hope this game is as fun as Saint's Row 3.

dahlis
Oct 26, 2005

Demolitions Expert
Well, I've been playing for 10 hours now and I think the tone is not as silly as SR3 (could it possibly be, anyway?). SR3 is a much much better port though. There's a sort of fluid feeling that I love about Saints Row 3, both control- and framerate wise.

Also, the new patch FINALLY fixed my issue with the graphic settings not saving (just flipping back as soon as i scrolled down in the menu). That's pretty weird since it was supposedly fixed in the previous patch.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dial A For Awesome posted:

I'm another person who found the keyboard + mouse controls to be an exercise in frustration. Driving was OK. However the mouse was pretty unresponsive in combat. Even in the combat tutorials, pulling off a combo (e.g. quick left click then hold left) didn't work the majority of the time. Rizuhbull - maybe worth adding something to the OP about the PC version playing much better with a gamepad.

I find that I only have trouble with click click hold for the arm break and the stunning knee. I can reliably execute a simpler click hold for the leg break.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
My guy is pretty broken up about killing a drug dealer to show he's a legit gangster; not so much the several hundred civilians I've run over or practiced combos on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Thanks Wei for shutting down that street racing gang. Those guys kill and injure many people on the street every day."
"Sure thing Teng."

*Rushes off to the next race to grind up Face XP*

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
At least you're also culling the herd by smashing up random dudes' racing cars with a tire iron, then killing them, because some douchebag says they cheated.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

404notfound posted:

I'm assuming you mean a wristwatch, but now I really wish this game had a Flavor Flav outfit.

Oh man, I need this so much.

Croccers posted:

I was gonna go with Flavor Flav but I'm rubbish at Photoshop so I copped it. Also the idea of best worst cop ever Wei Shen beating someone up with a grandfather clock amuses me.

It takes guts to wear that
(He's also holding a gun and eating a pork bun at the same time)

I once had a gun stuck to my hand, which led to me going all Naked Snake when I picked up a knife.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Yo how do I get this statue?

I've only got 2 left to get and this one's been driving me wild.

Also, it's a shame that the side missions don't give you anything special after you've maxed out your face meter. They should at least up the cash reward.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 1, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do missions. You'll get access to it eventually.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Woah, this game is really good. My FPS is a rock solid 60 even with the HD textures installed. I'm surprised at how good the games looks at night with all the lights.

Does the handbreak in cars serve any purpose? It seems to just skid the car forward.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brakes + accelerate + turning gets you turned around very fast. Useful if you drive into a mob of triads or into fight clubs.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Woah, this game is really good. My FPS is a rock solid 60 even with the HD textures installed. I'm surprised at how good the games looks at night with all the lights.

Does the handbreak in cars serve any purpose? It seems to just skid the car forward.
You're probably using the ram button, which is X on an xbox controller. Handbreak is B.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Using the handbrake while still holding down the accelerator helps tight cornering.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Segmentation Fault posted:

You're probably using the ram button, which is X on an xbox controller. Handbreak is B.

Ahh, no wonder. I was mixing those 2 up and couldn't figure out why my car wasn't ramming the other dude.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I must say that I am very impressed that Wei's voice actor can hit the high note in Ah-ha's "Take on Me" during the karaoke mini game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not the way I played it. :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Is there a good wiki for this game out there? The Wikia wiki is really barebones.

EDIT for content:

"Hey, uh... guys?"

"Excuse me... I need to open this safe... guys..."

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 1, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Interesting game.

I think it's a shame that the voice acting cast is pretty much all perfect, but almost all perfectly wasted. I'd like to see Black Lotus go ahead instead of a direct sequel, maybe see them focus on a smaller, less ensemble cast, shore up the narrative somewhat and develop the characters that are there more instead of just hopping all over the place and ending up with a really patched together tale.

The ending felt really slip-shod in particular, and the middle of the game was the same.

Still, I liked Will Yun Lee's Wei Shen and there were enough familiar faces in the Asian cast that the largely wasted talent and often pretty hollow characters managed to be charismatic enough to carry it along. I'm definitely glad I picked the game up. Interesting to see what comes next from United Front Games.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Segmentation Fault posted:

"Excuse me... I need to open this safe... guys..."

Oh, so that is intentional I guess :

The new patch is a really pleasant surprise to me, the camera was my only real gripe with the game. Good thing I put this on hold.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
It's been a while since a game managed to keep my attention for 30 hours. Sleeping Dogs GOTY.

Just managed to get all the races done. Now I have to hunt down all the various objects I can beat people up with for my sweet, sweet Steam achievement.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Finished the game, definitely enjoyed it. It doesn't wear out it's welcome, and was definitely a rollercoaster during the last part of the game. There's a lot of stuff that could have been fleshed out more, but considering the game's history I think it's a major accomplishment. I wish more of the vehicles in the game were buyable though, I want to be constantly tooling around the city on a dorky super cub moped.

Speedball posted:

...and speaking of that if they make a Sleeping Dogs 2 I would be intrigued if they went back to the concept of a female protagonist. It'd be tricky to swing it, but it could be done.

...actually I just want a Broken Nose Jiang backstory game. A young female punk gets her face smashed in a bar fight (hence the name) and she decides the only way to clean up the streets is to take over the triads, by force if necessary, or by stealth and trickery when possible.
I think it's still strange that pretty much the only open world game where you can play as a lady is something like Saints Row, where the player's gender is wholly irrelevant.

A Broken Nose Jiang game would be a pretty cool way of going back to the city in the 1970s-1980s and do some callbacks to Bruce Lee-era flicks. Maybe have the plot revolve around the HK movie industry!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

A Broken Nose Jiang game would be a pretty cool way of going back to the city in the 1970s-1980s and do some callbacks to Bruce Lee-era flicks. Maybe have the plot revolve around the HK movie industry!

Yeah, but the radio would suck.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
Just beat several Buddhist monks into a bloody pulp for a flower.

Peggy: You have a good heart. Woman's intuition.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Man, Mrs. Chu is terrifying. :stare:

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 1, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Call Now posted:

Man, Mrs. Chu is terrifying. :stare:r

Do not act incautiously when encountering a sweet independent old Asian lady.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Her soup is amongst the best on the island, though. Special recipe.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I love driving around aimlessly in this game. Any ideas on if the developers might add a New Game + mode with a patch? If so, what kind of stuff could they add to make it interesting? I mean, at least keeping it within realm of possibility. I'd love to see new suits added, and maybe you could make Bruce Lee sounds when you punch someone? Pork bun machine in your apartment?

I got nothing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You can go back and replay most of the missions anyway, so there's not much point in an NG+ mode.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Downloaded the demo last night (Xbox 360 user here) only find that the demo doesn't open. I just get a black screen, though I can access the guide button interface and quit to Dashboard. Tried deleting and redownloading, but I got the same problem. Anyone else have this happen?

Edit: works just fine now, huh.

Edit2: Demo froze while Wei was being interrogated, now it won't start back up again. Anyone know what's going on?

hughesta fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 1, 2012

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Bioshuffle posted:

I'd love to see new suits added, and maybe you could make Bruce Lee sounds when you punch someone? Pork bun machine in your apartment?
At the risk of sounding like a TF2 zombie, I'd like some hats other than "baseball cap" or "Panama."

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I checked a few pages, but didn't see it. Sorry if it's been asked but in every mission, if I gently caress up just a little bit I lose out on the 3 Police XP shields? is there any way to like, recover Police XP in missions or do I have to start them again?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I checked a few pages, but didn't see it. Sorry if it's been asked but in every mission, if I gently caress up just a little bit I lose out on the 3 Police XP shields? is there any way to like, recover Police XP in missions or do I have to start them again?

You'll have to start over if you want three shields. Or you could use one of the police bonus outfits when you use the surveillance gear in your apartment for a big boost. Later on you can get a 15% police XP boost outfit and it pays out huge when you do the surveillance game.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

There is literally no reason to try for the three police shields in the missions. They figured you would drive like a sociopath and took that into account; Save a few drug busts until you are high enough face to get the +15% police outfit, then wear it when doing the security camera thing in your apartment. You can max out police level without any particular problem. Triad XP is a pain in the bum on the other hand, I finished the game on level 9 and a half and am having real troubles getting that last half level. The game gives you all these cool outfits, but doesnt tell you that if you are wearing anything other than +triad XP gear you are slightly screwing yourself. Much as I love the game, its one of the things I would change; Have the bonuses unlockable seperate from the clothes so I can wear what I want and still get my bonus of choice. I wanted to wear the ong bak clothes while wrecking peoples poo poo, but mechanically I'm better wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

SiKboy posted:

Triad XP is a pain in the bum on the other hand, I finished the game on level 9 and a half and am having real troubles getting that last half level.

Yeah I came up short on that one as well and wore the 15% triad outfit constantly. Replaying some earlier missions where I didn't score too hot helped, though. Namely the warehouse mission and Club Bam Bam. Lot of mans to beat on, lot of things to beat mans with. Plus hey, achievement for killing a man with a fish :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I have about 5 missions left in the game and I just became a level 6 Triad. Replaying missions for 3 stars adds very little. I don't know how else to grind points.

Also, at this point, armored car heists are scary. Automatic heat level 5.

• Locked thread