Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably be first in line for BottomTabs4EVA because my personal browsing metaphor explains them as being spawned from (and thus subordinate to) the URL bar. No biggie.

I say this because Tree Style Tabs was misbehaving for me in the weirdest, erratic ways earlier and I had to disable it. Hopefully the developer can figure out what broke soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I like tabs on the bottom because I oftentimes find myself browsing in a RDP session. Having that drat RDP info bar pop down when I go to change a tab is annoying. I do realize this makes me an rear end in a top hat edge-case, so nobody gives a poo poo.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xamphear posted:

To me it makes perfect sense to remove the feature, and leave it to add-on developers to put back in if people want it that badly. It removes code that 99% of Firefox users won't need, while the 1% who do want it can add it back in.

But you could say that about 100 other minor features, and suddenly the average user will need 10-30 addons to continue to have the functionality they had before.

I'm still bitter about them removing the perfectly fine download status bar. Dealing with addons is a negative point for me, as they get abandoned, perhaps aren't up to standards when it comes to stability and such, and it brings a chore when jumping on a fresh computer.

I always loved it when World of Warcraft incorporated features into the default user interface that a popular user-created addon did. It meant the feature was now guaranteeed to work with every release, was stable, and it was just one less thing to worry about.

Another annoyance is also how super unstable the Firefox GUI is. Every other release, the navigation buttons have been redesigned and moved around. It's complete nonsense, the developers clearly have no direction and just wildly try to copy features from other browsers or randomly experiment with new stuff just for fun. It's super annoying. The *only* useful user interface FF has received since forever is the Chrome-ization with the tabs on the title bar and floating status bar, all stolen from Chrome.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 1, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Pilsner posted:

But you could say that about 100 other minor features, and suddenly the average user will need 10-30 addons to continue to have the functionality they had before.
You say "average user" but I think you mean to say "power user like me."

Average users will use whatever is given to them and likely not even give a poo poo or even stop to notice. Tabs on top? Whatever. On bottom now? Fine. Back on top? Sure thing, boss.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pilsner posted:

I always loved it when World of Warcraft incorporated features into the default user interface that a popular user-created addon did. It meant the feature was now guaranteeed to work with every release, was stable, and it was just one less thing to worry about.

From the developers' standpoint, it's one more thing they have to qualify with every release, guarantee stability on, and is just one more thing to worry about.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010
I need some quick help.

I had an add-on for Firefox that I can no longer fine.

It modified RSS feeds so the number of new updates would appear along-side the name.

For example:

slashfilm (5) joystiq (1)

etc.

It also allowed one to modify how read updates appeared (highlighted, orange, faded, etc.).

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Did 15 change the algorithm for determining where to place ellipses on tabs? I'm finding that if I have two or three tabs open, switching tabs changes the ellipses, to the point where sometimes the margin gets a little wonky. Like this:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Bieeardo posted:

I'll probably be first in line for BottomTabs4EVA because my personal browsing metaphor explains them as being spawned from (and thus subordinate to) the URL bar.
Its been that way for so many years that this seems pretty normal to me.

Constantly trying to force new visual habits on old users is loving dumb. Improve functions, add features, stop trying to shove the sperg-of-the-month aesthetic on people that just want to use a program instead of jack off about how new their cutting edge alpha test version is.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xamphear posted:

You say "average user" but I think you mean to say "power user like me."

Average users will use whatever is given to them and likely not even give a poo poo or even stop to notice. Tabs on top? Whatever. On bottom now? Fine. Back on top? Sure thing, boss.
That's exactly what I hate about the average user in my nerd-rage. New version of software X does this differently? Whatever you say, software company! *bends over without critical thinking*. God.

Space Gopher posted:

From the developers' standpoint, it's one more thing they have to qualify with every release, guarantee stability on, and is just one more thing to worry about.

But uhm, software is made for users. A developer has to worry about a lot of stuff, or there wouldn't be a product. My point is just that you could sum up 100 "little features" in Firefox and go "well let's remove them since 99% of people leave them at default". But, a huge amount of users are likely to have changed at least one of those settings, so now almost everyone is annoyed.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

On FFox 15.0, every so often I'll start up Firefox, and get "Firefox is already running". I've seen this in other versions too. Are there any extensions that cause this?

I have
Ghostery
Flashblock
Noscript
Adblock Plus
App tab initializer
Better privacy

Extensions installed. Ta!

e- Is the new Australis (curved tabs) theme for Ffox coming soon? (Thunderbird just updated with it). With my dark background, its harder to read the text in the inactive tabs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 3, 2012

thepartyrobot
Oct 18, 2009
I'm getting the same issue, to the point where I'll open up Task Manager to find ~15 different Firefox.exe instances.
I'm only using Greasemonkey and Last Pass at the moment though, so I'm not too sure that it's an addon issue.

e: I'm also having a separate issue with Firefox where scrolling will completely break every five seconds. Usually it'll fix itself if I restart the browser, but it's still a nuisance. Any ideas?

Regarding Australis, I took a look at the Firefox Release wiki in the OP, and didn't see any specific release that it was targeted for, so I'm guessing the release date is "when it's ready."

thepartyrobot fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 3, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I think it's just Firefox not always closing properly.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

wipeout posted:

On FFox 15.0, every so often I'll start up Firefox, and get "Firefox is already running". I've seen this in other versions too. Are there any extensions that cause this?

I have
Ghostery
Flashblock
Noscript
Adblock Plus
App tab initializer
Better privacy

Extensions installed. Ta!

e- Is the new Australis (curved tabs) theme for Ffox coming soon? (Thunderbird just updated with it). With my dark background, its harder to read the text in the inactive tabs.

Check your Task Manager "Processes" tab. Close any instances of Firefox running and try again.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wipeout posted:

On FFox 15.0, every so often I'll start up Firefox, and get "Firefox is already running". I've seen this in other versions too.

Try making a new profile/resetting your current one to fix firefox spawning a bunch of dummy processes. It was doing that for me back around version 9 and only doing that fixed it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Anyone else having serious problems with Flash performance in FF? Youtube videos chug a bit (audio is fluid though), and google finance's stock charts are very laggy when I interact with them using the mouse. I have the latest version of FF, Flash and my video card drivers.

Edit: All flash is smooth as silk in Chrome on the same computer.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 3, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

wipeout posted:

Firefox 19 is the current target.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
Did Firefox/Adobe fix the "flash causes FF to lose focus" annoyance in the newer versions? I'm still running an old Flash version as a workaround.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

Pilsner posted:

Anyone else having serious problems with Flash performance in FF? Youtube videos chug a bit (audio is fluid though), and google finance's stock charts are very laggy when I interact with them using the mouse. I have the latest version of FF, Flash and my video card drivers.

Yeah, same issues here, and similarly fine in Chrome.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Pilsner posted:

Anyone else having serious problems with Flash performance...

Yes. Everywhere. Flash is hosed right now and we're all waiting for a decent release.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Use 64 bit Flash, get much better performance. That's my experience at least.

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009

Pilsner posted:

Youtube works like poo poo, but everything else works just fine (twitch.tv, flash games etc)

Sometimes when I exit fullscreen flash (at youtube) the whole browser just hangs up and I have to kill FlashPlayerPlugin_xxxxxx.exe from task manager to get it back. Anyone else have that problem?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Having yet another problem as of late: Sometimes when I click a link (seems to mostly be Youtube links from Messenger), it'll start a new firefox.exe process. The memory count goes up to about 2MB after a few seconds, then it just sits there.... until about a minute later, it suddenly pops up the Youtube video in a new tab in my existing browser (set to single-window mode). Super annoying.

I'm honestly getting a little tired of FF. Either they're not as good or don't test as well as the Chrome devs do, or they're just releasing too often for their own good; perhaps the codebase is too crappy. The devs should try to remember that releasing less often is sometimes preferable. There's constantly some current issue causing a lot of trouble.

Turhis posted:

Youtube works like poo poo, but everything else works just fine (twitch.tv, flash games etc)

Sometimes when I exit fullscreen flash (at youtube) the whole browser just hangs up and I have to kill FlashPlayerPlugin_xxxxxx.exe from task manager to get it back. Anyone else have that problem?
At least weekly (sometimes multiple times) my FF freezes during a Youtube video, and I have to kill the FlashPlayerPlugin*.exe process.

Also, try going to this link for me:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AFB&ei=SwBGUODWLIaZwQOsiQE

Hover your mouse (also try scrolling in/out) over the blue/white chart in the middle - does your mouse cursor lag like crazy too?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Even when I have nothing open using Flash I've been finding Firefox to be far more sluggish in the past few weeks than it had been when I switched to it from Chrome a couple of months ago.

Turhis
Mar 17, 2009

Pilsner posted:

Hover your mouse (also try scrolling in/out) over the blue/white chart in the middle - does your mouse cursor lag like crazy too?

Yup, the mouse cursor skips like crazy while on the chart.

Kinda funny that I can watch twitch streams all day long without any problems, then one youtube video can blow up the whole browser, just seems weird.

Also wimp.com works like a charm, possible that youtube is doing something weird (again).

Edit.

Can't even skip forward in youtube while the video is playing, it jumps as far as the video has loaded, have to pause it, click the point you want to go and unpause and then it works.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pilsner posted:

I'm using Firefox 15 and experiencing the same problem with this chart

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm using Waterfox 15 with 64 bit Flash and experiencing no problem with that chart and lag n omatter what I try.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pilsner posted:

Smooth for me, running Aurora 17 (2012-09-03) with:

Flash 11.4.402.265
Windows 7 x64 with SP1 and all current updates
nVidia GTS 250 1GB, latest drivers
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
Crucial M4 SSD

This latest release of Flash seems to have largely ended the tearing problems I was getting playing videos on YouTube etc., and Aurora 17 is running well for me, with the following extensions:

Adblock Plus 2.1.2
British English Dictionary 1.19.1
Context Search 0.4.6
FireGestures 1.6.16
Flashblock 1.5.16
InvisibleHand 3.8.12
LastPass 2.0.0
Print Edit 8.6
Restart Firefox 0.5
Undo Closed Tab Button 3.7.3
Windows Media Player Extension for Firefox 1.1
Web of Trust 20120827

Hardware acceleration is enabled. I reset my profile a few days ago, which I do every few months for shits and giggles.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
I can also confirm flash not working properly after the update

I'm on FF 16 beta

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it's Flash-based, but Firefox (beta 15) has been obnoxiously unstable lately. It stays up about 5-10 minutes before crashing, every time.

I've gone to Chrome, but the tabs-above-the-address-bar thing is driving me nuts, and I want to go back to FF.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if it's Flash-based, but Firefox (beta 15) has been obnoxiously unstable lately. It stays up about 5-10 minutes before crashing, every time.
Sounds like you're running an outdated build. Try a current version with a clean profile. Regardless, it shouldn't be crashing, ESPECIALLY if you're not on a page that's using plugins.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

Sounds like you're running an outdated build. Try a current version with a clean profile. Regardless, it shouldn't be crashing, ESPECIALLY if you're not on a page that's using plugins.

I had to be brief with that post, but I should have mentioned that I updated my version of Firefox, and still experienced crashing. I haven't done a 'clear profile' yet, but that sounds incredibly counter-intuitive, since I'd rather not start over. I'll try it, regardless.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

I had to be brief with that post, but I should have mentioned that I updated my version of Firefox, and still experienced crashing. I haven't done a 'clear profile' yet, but that sounds incredibly counter-intuitive, since I'd rather not start over. I'll try it, regardless.
You can use the "Reset Firefox" option from about :support to have it make a new profile and then reimport your data. Alternatively, you can make a new profile then copy the data files you care about over from the old profile. This won't keep your extensions, but will keep things like bookmarks, cookies, and saved login information. The OP has the details.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Ah man looks like firefox 17 broke MinUI.

Guess I'll have to suffer horizontal scrollbars again.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
This stupid thing worked so (relatively stable anyway) well back in the version 3's.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Did they take the reload/stop button out of the location bar in FF 15 for some reason?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BrainWeasel posted:

Did they take the reload/stop button out of the location bar in FF 15 for some reason?

Still there on mine - where's yours sited now?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You need to have the stop and reload buttons on the toolbar, adjacent to the location bar.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

You can also try right-clicking the tab area, select customize, and then 'restore default set'.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

FRINGE posted:

This stupid thing worked so (relatively stable anyway) well back in the version 3's.
Having actually used Firefox back then, there's been amazing increases in stability over the years. One of the key improvements was preventing issues due to mismatched file versions, which is why it's almost never necessary to reinstall the browser to resolve issues. Of course there will always be room to improve, but almost all issues people see today are due to, in order, Adobe Flash, misbehaving plug-ins and extensions (including corrupted profiles), and problems due to old/crappy/Intel video drivers. Firefox 15 is a great release, particularly in terms of reduced memory impacts from add-ons, and it sucks that this is all overshadowed by Adobe releasing a bunch of terrible Flash versions and causing a bad user experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

xtal posted:

You need to have the stop and reload buttons on the toolbar, adjacent to the location bar.

Well that's unintuitive. Thanks.