Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

It is worth mentioning that Origin/EA is having a Labor Day sale through Sept. 5th, and included among the sale items is Mass Effect 3 Digital for $19.99. That's cheaper than what I bought it for at a discount key site, so anyone who is looking into getting this game, now is a great time to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of instakills, just did a gold round on Giant/Cerb and everyone got gibbed by phantoms during extraction. :cool:

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Banshees only become immune to powers after being hit by a power in the "walk and warp" state. Sometimes powers get through for bizarre reasons (If they are in the last half of the nova animation the power can go through? It depends on lag? Who knows!), and some powers cause the shield even though it seems like they shouldn't (incinerate, proxy mine). In the "charge and grab" state, they are always affected by powers.

I find this annoying mostly for Vorcha, as Flamer is ideal to use during the "walk and warp" state, but then other people will go and bring the shield up. You have to wait until she starts charging again before it will do anything. This is really irritating given that Vorcha can't be killed by a lone Banshee except by being grabbed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SubponticatePoster posted:

Speaking of instakills, just did a gold round on Giant/Cerb and everyone got gibbed by phantoms during extraction. :cool:

Yeah see my video a page or two back to see Banshees triple-sync killing in a row. So stupid.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Psion posted:

Yeah see my video a page or two back to see Banshees triple-sync killing in a row. So stupid.
It was pretty close to that. Eeveryone had done fine through the game, then as we started to fall back to the zone. I got filleted, then watched as it happened to everyone else. What was funny is that we weren't all bunched up in the same place, the game just decided to spawn 150 phantoms all through the map apparently.

edit: and now my Slayer is desynched on FB Goddess, hovering about 50 ft in the air. At least I'm over the extraction zone and my PD still works :v:

edit 2: this is actually hilarious, the AI is reading me as being on ground level, so I have about half the spawn killing me over and over again while my teammates can pick off the straggler at leisure.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 1, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Also is there any consensus on the best packs to buy to get gear, rare or uncommon? I've been buying PSPs because I always buy PSPs (and want ultrarares) but I've almost maxed out my gold guns (Pirhana and Acolyte are at VI-VII) but my gear drops are crap.

Are they just terrible odds in general? The only one the game has seen fit to give me above rank 2 is the Commando Package, which is at 5. Nice for my caster classes, buuuut.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Gear just seems to be really rare. I'm still running across new types of gear I've never seen.

EvanSchenck posted:

There are actually some enemies that are dangerous without bullshit like sync kills or stunlocking. I think Marauders and Geth Pyros are some of the best enemies in MP. If you stay alert and play smart you can handle them, but if you do something stupid or if your team isn't watching the backdoor and then flank you, they'll drop you in a second.
Personally, I hate executions the most. It's hard enough getting a teammate to heal you before you bleed out; why add the chance of the trooper who shot you instantly breaking your bones unless you burn a medigel?

SubponticatePoster posted:

edit 2: this is actually hilarious, the AI is reading me as being on ground level, so I have about half the spawn killing me over and over again while my teammates can pick off the straggler at leisure.
Even better, if you're desynced, the "fix" is to just keep respawning you whenever you die with your feet off the ground, so you're an immortal ghost.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, if you desync as a Slayer, it basically makes you an immortal blind deity. Just keep spamming Biotic Slash. You won't see anything, but you'll get hits and stuff will die.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh you think Banshees are bad, this just happened to us with an Atlas :(

*dude dies in a rather exposed position*
*I decide to risk it and revive him, get crunched by Atlas*
*Atlas puts on trollface and executes the guy I was trying to revive*

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

Also is there any consensus on the best packs to buy to get gear, rare or uncommon? I've been buying PSPs because I always buy PSPs (and want ultrarares) but I've almost maxed out my gold guns (Pirhana and Acolyte are at VI-VII) but my gear drops are crap.

Are they just terrible odds in general? The only one the game has seen fit to give me above rank 2 is the Commando Package, which is at 5. Nice for my caster classes, buuuut.

The best odds are still with PSPs, but the drop rates are awful. ~15-20 million credits are required to get all of the gears leveled up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Psion posted:

I buy PSPs almost exclusively, and both my rare weapons and my rare gear are at just over 60% complete. 3 of the gears are at 5 (yay Warfighter, boo Guerilla and Expert), and the only one at lower than 2 is Operative (the very first gear I ever got). Sounds like the RNG just doesn't like you.

Of course, the uncommon gears are my worst performer (aside from rare mods, which were only recently introduced), a little under 40% complete. But I don't really care about them as much.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Psion posted:

I started buying only Spectre Packs to give me more Gear drops, and I've had a lot of success with that. I'm planning to switch back to PSPs once all my gear is maxed out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey friends I have a Q, apparently the PC version of ME3 is on sale and I really wanna get it for my BF, my question is, could I buy the disc version and just give him the code in the manual? Would that be enough for him to DL it?

Or does he need the discs?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I finally found the greatness that is the Salarian Infiltrator with Sniper rifle. I loving love it. Any recommendations for the right build for him though? I have a Vindicator I and a Black Widow I, so I've been using the Vindicator since it's lighter.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

nwin posted:

I finally found the greatness that is the Salarian Infiltrator with Sniper rifle. I loving love it. Any recommendations for the right build for him though? I have a Vindicator I and a Black Widow I, so I've been using the Vindicator since it's lighter.
I would say go 6/6/6/4/4 to see what you like and then use a card later. Use proxies to debuff things before you shoot and e-drain when you need shields. Taking Bonus Power for rank 6 will let you e-drain, proxy, and then shoot, all under the cloak bonus.

And don't use the Vindicator its a piece of poo poo (even by assault rifle standards). Either take a shotgun and get in people's faces or take a sniper rifle and go long.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
I don't really like sniper rifles since the krysae and the rank 6 cloak bonus to snipers got nerfed and you should use a scoped paladin or saber or crusader (or even GPS) with this build

To answer your question though, this is what i used before the sniper damage nerf, and can still be solid if you have a bunch of sniper rails lying around.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Paracelsus posted:

Sounds like the RNG just doesn't like you.

Story of my life in this game. Ever since the demo (first class? asari adept) to retail (last class unlocked pre-DLC? asari adept)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

TacticalGranny posted:

It is worth mentioning that Origin/EA is having a Labor Day sale through Sept. 5th, and included among the sale items is Mass Effect 3 Digital for $19.99. That's cheaper than what I bought it for at a discount key site, so anyone who is looking into getting this game, now is a great time to do it.

To add to this, it's apparently HALF that already good deal in the UK. I had a friend in London check and she said it's on sale for 7,49 quid. :stare: Another friend will be mercilessly badgered until he buys it.

EDIT: Right now the dollar is worth about 3/4 of a british pound, maybe a touch less. So the UK sale is basically about $10 instead of $20. Hence the :stare:.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 1, 2012

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Wow, I thought the dollar was supposed to be awesome. Bernanke :argh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just played a few matches while hosting as a Slayer.

Why can't I do this all the time? :smith:

TacticalGranny posted:

Is the Vanguard issue any better on the PC?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

VJeff posted:

Nope. Always Be Hosting.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

VJeff posted:

In terms of netcode, no, but there's a PC add-on from the Bioware forums that lets you ping lobbies, and most of the time you can get away with playing Vanguard if the host has <50 ping. So you can avoid it a little more reliably.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

nwin posted:

SI is my go-to guy for gold with randoms. I tend to run him as a machine that just goes Cloak -> Energy Drain -> Shoot before cloak wears off, and occasionally uses prox mines on bigger things to soften them up.

Here's my preferred build:

Tactical Cloak: 6 (Damage, Recharge, Sniper Damage)
Energy Drain: 6 (Damage, Drain, Damage)
Proximity Mine: 5 (Radius, Damage Taken)
Salarian Operative: 6 (Damage & Capacity, [your choice, depends on how confident you are at headshots], Weapon damage)
Fitness: 3

Between cloaking and refilling your shields your health is often not as big a deal as you'd expect (although a Stronghold Package doesn't go amiss). Always cloak before using ED to take advantage of the damage boost (it completely strips the shields from anything less than a Phantom, and still hits about 2/3 of theirs). ED can be used on unshielded targets to make them stand still if they're not currently in an animation like a dive roll or climbing over something, making it easy to headshot. For guns, you should put extended barrel and an AP unit on as your mods. If you ever get an Indra, I highly recommend it, as it weighs less at level 1 than even the relatively light SRs do at level 10, so you can cloak and drain much more often, and your damage buffs from cloak, prox, and passive make it effective even against armored enemies. Plus you don't have to worry so much if your aim is a little off, as you can correct long before the clip runs out instead of having to wait a couple seconds to reload.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Psion posted:

I wish I had your luck, I don't want gear but I get loads of terrible level 1 gold gear from PSPs while I'm trying to get/upgrade good weapons and get the rest of the N7 classes.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Paracelsus posted:

If you ever get an Indra, I highly recommend it, as it weighs less at level 1 than even the relatively light SRs do at level 10, so you can cloak and drain much more often, and your damage buffs from cloak, prox, and passive make it effective even against armored enemies. Plus you don't have to worry so much if your aim is a little off, as you can correct long before the clip runs out instead of having to wait a couple seconds to reload.
Yeeeees, the much maligned Indra is a pretty sick option for Infiltrators. I'm a terrible sniper, but love my Sal Inf. Cloak -> Prox -> Indra Hose will obliterate anything on Gold. 100k+ score easy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Hey friends I have a Q, apparently the PC version of ME3 is on sale and I really wanna get it for my BF, my question is, could I buy the disc version and just give him the code in the manual? Would that be enough for him to DL it?

Or does he need the discs?

Pretty sure you'd need the disks also, but I don't know for sure. To be on the safe side, though, you should probably get the disks and the code, just in case. Or you could buy the downloadable version and gift it to him that way.

I don't know if what I said is 100% correct (I'm not a big PC gamer) but I did want to at least give you an answer since you've been waiting for an answer for a while and no one has bothered to help you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Heh, the "remove all your consumables immediately when you see a guy using a Striker in Platinum" policy just saved me a massive headache. Cheaters. :allears:

Favorite part of the match is when, out of boredom on the "Cap 4 objectives" wave, me and the other two guys had to amuse ourselves by all capping the objective simultaneously while spinning in a circle. Wish I could've gotten a clip of it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Hyperactive posted:

Yeeeees, the much maligned Indra is a pretty sick option for Infiltrators. I'm a terrible sniper, but love my Sal Inf. Cloak -> Prox -> Indra Hose will obliterate anything on Gold. 100k+ score easy.

I think the Indra gets a bad wrap. It's not the best sniper rifle but it is an amazing long range assault rifle. Plus it sounds like an awesome sci-fi laser gun!

PEW PEW PEW

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Now that I've maxed out a lot of the decent sniper rifles (Widow, Krysae, Kishock Harpoon Gun), I've been trying to get back into using them since I don't really play inflitrator ever. Been trying out the GethInf but I really have trouble with the Krysae and just staying alive in general. I maxed out the Prox. mine and cloak but probably should've maxed my shields instead, I spend way too much time on the ground. I hate playing with people who just take a widow and then can't do anything to enemies right next to them so I take a Talon for when guys sneak up on me.

So barring that, which sniper rifles are still good and how do you use them? Especially the weird unwieldy ones like the Krysae and Kishock.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

randombattle posted:

I think the Indra gets a bad wrap. It's not the best sniper rifle but it is an amazing long range assault rifle. Plus it sounds like an awesome sci-fi laser gun!

PEW PEW PEW
More to the point, it's an AR that benefits from cloak's 25% of total (not base) SR damage bonus at level 6, which is amazing. Plus the scope seems to be at that sweet spot where it's a definite help at long-to-extreme range but doesn't make it zoomed too close to track enemies at medium range.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

thevoiceofdog posted:

Now that I've maxed out a lot of the decent sniper rifles (Widow, Krysae, Kishock Harpoon Gun), I've been trying to get back into using them since I don't really play inflitrator ever. Been trying out the GethInf but I really have trouble with the Krysae and just staying alive in general. I maxed out the Prox. mine and cloak but probably should've maxed my shields instead, I spend way too much time on the ground. I hate playing with people who just take a widow and then can't do anything to enemies right next to them so I take a Talon for when guys sneak up on me.

So barring that, which sniper rifles are still good and how do you use them? Especially the weird unwieldy ones like the Krysae and Kishock.
Krysae got heavily nerfed, so I'm not sure I'd call it decent anymore. I'm not really that big on the single-shot rifles, as if there's lag you're kinda boned if the enemy isn't moving in a straight line.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The Indra is a great AR. It does 2/3rd the damage of the Harrier (which still puts it ahead of all the other accurate ARs), but has twice the ammo and is a lot lighter. The Cloak rank 6 bonus bumps that up to 80% of the Harrier damage.

The penalty for firing when not scoped is annoying. It's 50% reduced damage or something ridiculous like that.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

thevoiceofdog posted:

Take a Claymore. With hunter mode it will snipe better than a widow and ignore shield gate. Don't max tactical cloak, you don't need more than duration.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

thevoiceofdog posted:

I think the GethInf is more suited to a Piranha annihilation build than raw sniping. More accuracy and firerate benefit automatics - especially shotguns - and the wallhack has more benefits when you're up close.

For traditional sniping the SalInf is the best. Now that the shield gate has been capped at 75%, weapons like the Widow and Javelin are able to one-hit-kill through shields again if you spec accordingly and score a headshot. Except that the SalInf's Energy Drain also gets rid of most shields in a single cast, so bodyshots will suffice in many cases. ED also helps a lot with the staying alive part. After some practice you'll be able to enter a comfortable rhythm of Cloak-ED-Shoot for shielded/regular targets respectively Cloak-ProxyMine-Shoot for boss enemies down to armor.

Can't really comment on the Kishock, which I don't like due to the unpredictable (lag-dependent) hit detection, but the Krysae has been nerfed pretty badly, which is probably why you're not doing so hot with it. Granted, it was massively overpowered before, but in usual Bioware fashion they overshot the goal and made it useless. Maybe a future balance patch will restore some of its former glory, without making it the weapon you slap on any class to win.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

The best double phantom kill:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Zoran posted:

I started buying only Spectre Packs to give me more Gear drops, and I've had a lot of success with that. I'm planning to switch back to PSPs once all my gear is maxed out.

With only ultra-rares left, I'm averaging 1 per 8 PSPs. :shepicide:

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Take a Claymore. With hunter mode it will snipe better than a widow and ignore shield gate. Don't max tactical cloak, you don't need more than duration.

Oh my god. Holy gently caress. This is the greatest thing ever. With prox. mines maxed and enemy damage reduction I can single-handedly take out an Atlas before it gets anywhere near me. I am bane to Phantoms. Guardians literally turn away from me because they don't want to get shot in the face. Nemeses hide and are pushed out of cover by my proximity mines or shot out of cover from several meters away by my Claymore with armor piercing.

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Has anyone else had a LOT of trouble with staying connected to the ME3 server recently? I had been thinking the problem was on my end but it's happening even when my connection has been rock solid.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VJeff posted:

Heh, the "remove all your consumables immediately when you see a guy using a Striker in Platinum" policy just saved me a massive headache. Cheaters. :allears:

Favorite part of the match is when, out of boredom on the "Cap 4 objectives" wave, me and the other two guys had to amuse ourselves by all capping the objective simultaneously while spinning in a circle. Wish I could've gotten a clip of it.

Why don't I ever run into any of these people? I'll take a free 130k for no effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Another few hours of playing, another few hours of constant disconnects.

Zoran posted:

Has anyone else had a LOT of trouble with staying connected to the ME3 server recently? I had been thinking the problem was on my end but it's happening even when my connection has been rock solid.

Sup. :argh::hf::mad:

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 2, 2012

• Locked thread