Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
It might get one or two of them, but in the end that snake is hosed. It's basically in a ring of small, delicious dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My chickens love eating snakes and skinks. The only snakes I've ever seen in my yard are small non-poisonous snakes though. I try to save them if I can and put them out of reach in my garden since they eat pests.

My husband jokes he wants to get a tattoo of a badass chicken fighting a snake.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

My roo Phoenix once grabbed a HUGE Alligator lizard (very big and mean assholes) and swallowed it whole right in front of me. :pwn:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Megatron grabbed a potato bug as big as her head and swallowed it whole before the other chickens would steal it :barf:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

piscesbobbie posted:

GREYCIOUS- Beautiful birds. Your little sebright is sooooo cute. Was there talk that perhaps she was a rooster? She is VERY loud! So adorable.

Yes, there was, I hope she isn't, otherwise she'll have to find another home. She's already 5 weeks though as of yesterday, so I would like to think I'd know by now.

edit; one of my chicks at about 4 weeks old found and swallowed a giant cicada, whole.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Is that normal for chickens, to swallow something bigger than their head? Could it kill them? Just wondering.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

piscesbobbie posted:

Is that normal for chickens, to swallow something bigger than their head? Could it kill them? Just wondering.

More so for some breeds than others, but yes. I suppose that they could choke on something but I don't that that is all that common. We had a hen named Caffe once who was so skilled at finding live prey as big as her head--and swallowing it whole--that we called her 'The Bug Huntress' We'd gotten her as a freebie from the scratch & dent bin at the feed store (she had a bad foot) as a young adult and had no idea what breed she was.

We found out later that she was a black breasted red Kraienkoppe, a Dutch breed fairly rare in the US at the time--a breed noted for their bug hunting abilities and tendencies to swallow HUGE bugs. Whole. I spoke to a breeder when I was trying to find out what the heck she was and he told me all this--he was also stunned that I'd found one not only at a feed store, but for free. :keke:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Kraien/BRKKraien.html

Caffe was also our color changing hen! When we got her she looked like this:

A few years later, we discovered that she was growing in iridescent 'rooster tail' color feathers along with some white ones, here and there all over.

I've since found out that this can happen if a bird suffers trauma at some point in their lives, which must have happened before we got her and caused her screwed-up foot.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

VS - beautiful hen, the way her feathers wrap down around her neck and the colors are gorgeous. Did her crop wiggle with the live prey after she swallowed it! hee hee hee (just joking around) While I've been researching in anticipation of a small flock next year, it seems more breeds are available in the UK :( Why is that? US just more focused on production types rather than backyard types? I want some heritage breeds that will be fairly long lived - they don't need to lay eggs every day or every other day 3 eggs a week would be just fine with me.

How is your book coming along?

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 28, 2012

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

piscesbobbie posted:

Bantaras - lovely looking! How many chickens are you building for? I'm thinking of starting a small flock next year, maybe 6 (but you know chicken math!) How many chickens do you have and how much bigger would you have gone. I see 8 by 10 feet. I love the look of your set up!

I'll try and keep about 16 in there I think. I have five 6 month old Red Stars (Sex Links) in another coop, my chicken tractor.
The size was going to be 8x10, but I ended up with 9 x 13 after i decided to add the used dock on the back and I put the wire on the outside of the telephone poles instead of the inside increasing the sq footage quite a bit.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

VS - beautiful hen, the way her feathers wrap down around her neck and the colors are gorgeous. Did her crop wiggle with the live prey after she swallowed it! hee hee hee (just joking around) While I've been researching in anticipation of a small flock next year, it seems more breeds are available in the UK :( Why is that? US just more focused on production types rather than backyard types? I want some heritage breeds that will be fairly long lived - they don't need to lay eggs every day or every other day 3 eggs a week would be just fine with me.

How is your book coming along?

The book is in a holding pattern for now as over the summer I needed to focus on getting moved into the new house, family emergencies and getting the kid started for the school year. Just too much going on at once. I informed the publisher and she understood, so I'll get started on it again soon. :)

There are for sure more breeds, and better examples (the Giant Cochins in the UK are amazing) in Europe, I think there has been more interest in preserving those breeds for a longer time and breeding outstanding examples than in the US, where eggs/meat has been the priority. Now more people here mainstream are getting into chickens so I hope that changes.

Most chickens have roughly the same life span unless they are a production meat breed such as Cornish Cross, it's up to the owners to extend their lives as much as possible be providing excellent living conditions. :) Hens have a finite number of eggs in their bodies (just like human females) and when that supply is exhausted (or they have some medical reason for falling out of lay), they stop laying. Usually lay starts at around the age of 6 months, peaks at age 2-4 years, then will taper off and finally stop at the age of 6 years, give or take. I have had old ladies who hadn't laid for several years suddenly pop off with an egg or two at the age of 8-9 years when Spring came. :pwn: Completely undignified.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Velvet Sparrow posted:

More so for some breeds than others, but yes. I suppose that they could choke on something but I don't that that is all that common. We had a hen named Caffe once who was so skilled at finding live prey as big as her head--and swallowing it whole--that we called her 'The Bug Huntress' We'd gotten her as a freebie from the scratch & dent bin at the feed store (she had a bad foot) as a young adult and had no idea what breed she was.

We found out later that she was a black breasted red Kraienkoppe, a Dutch breed fairly rare in the US at the time--a breed noted for their bug hunting abilities and tendencies to swallow HUGE bugs. Whole. I spoke to a breeder when I was trying to find out what the heck she was and he told me all this--he was also stunned that I'd found one not only at a feed store, but for free. :keke:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Kraien/BRKKraien.html

Caffe was also our color changing hen! When we got her she looked like this:

A few years later, we discovered that she was growing in iridescent 'rooster tail' color feathers along with some white ones, here and there all over.

I've since found out that this can happen if a bird suffers trauma at some point in their lives, which must have happened before we got her and caused her screwed-up foot.

Did she lay at all when you had her? Birds changing "sex" like that can be triggered by the ovary their eggs come from is damaged in some way. I've seen it happen to one of the peahens one of the other farmers around here keeps. She was attacked by a mink and since the attack she hasn't lain a single egg and she looks more like a peacock than a peahen now.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Did she lay at all when you had her? Birds changing "sex" like that can be triggered by the ovary their eggs come from is damaged in some way. I've seen it happen to one of the peahens one of the other farmers around here keeps. She was attacked by a mink and since the attack she hasn't lain a single egg and she looks more like a peacock than a peahen now.

:stare:
That is incredibly intriguing. I want to know more. I will have to search around for some articles or something on that.

VS, that is one pretty chicken, whatever went on with her.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Okay, I just discovered that people sell their chicken feathers on line. People buy them to make jewelery and things for fishing. Anyone familiar with this? I was surprised! Chido, keep your girls feathers you might be able to sell them and make some extra cash off those molting chickens!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

We still have a little work to do on the coop, but it is together enough that the chickens are moved in now.

They seem to really enjoy it. Although last night I was so worried about them out in their big girl coop I had nightmares about something like a fox trying to get in at them. :cry:

I went and checked on them first thing in the morning, and saw one of their faces through a currently wired-over "window" peaking out at me all happy. :3:

I have a question, right now my chickens are at 5, almost 6 weeks of age. Some of them have gorgeous eyes, such as a minty/seafoam green, and another has this very neat gold coloring with a hint of green...
Will they keep these eye colors, or are they going to change as they mature more? Guessing they are still changing. :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

piscesbobbie posted:

Okay, I just discovered that people sell their chicken feathers on line. People buy them to make jewelery and things for fishing. Anyone familiar with this? I was surprised! Chido, keep your girls feathers you might be able to sell them and make some extra cash off those molting chickens!

Yep, there's a big market for naturally shed feathers, especially the fancy ones from rooster tails and such. People want ethically-sourced materials for crafting. The feathers would need to be clean and undamaged, though, which can be difficult.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

GREYCIOUS - your chickens are so cute! I bet it warmed your heart to see them this morning, all happy to see you! I do think their eye colors can continue to change. They look so happy and content. Thank you for sharing the pictures!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

RazorBunny posted:

Yep, there's a big market for naturally shed feathers, especially the fancy ones from rooster tails and such. People want ethically-sourced materials for crafting. The feathers would need to be clean and undamaged, though, which can be difficult.

So that is an added benefit to have a rooster or two around. Their fancy feathers command more money for fly fishing folks and the such!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

piscesbobbie posted:

GREYCIOUS - your chickens are so cute! I bet it warmed your heart to see them this morning, all happy to see you! I do think their eye colors can continue to change. They look so happy and content. Thank you for sharing the pictures!

It did! I was so worried about them.
They just kind of gave me this typical "What? Are you coming to give us food/let us run around the yard?" kind of look :)

Even tonight when one of my dogs was barking I got nervous and took a flashlight out to check in case something was trying to break into the coop. Having outdoor pets can be so scary! :ohdear:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

:mad: Godzilla is done molting and I didn't think of saving her hackle feathers. guess I'll have to keep an eye for them when I clean.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

:mad: Godzilla is done molting and I didn't think of saving her hackle feathers. guess I'll have to keep an eye for them when I clean.

Is Godzilla the hen that has the little hearts on her feathers? I can easily see people wanting unique feathers like that for crafting projects.

Greycious: Your chickens look so happy. :)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

RazorBunny posted:

Man, I should start collecting feathers instead of just dumping them with the woodchips/poop into the manure pile. My sex links shed so many feathers it's a wonder they aren't all naked! A lot of them are black with a brown fringe or black with a hint of iridescent green.

Greycious posted:

It did! I was so worried about them.
They just kind of gave me this typical "What? Are you coming to give us food/let us run around the yard?" kind of look :)

Even tonight when one of my dogs was barking I got nervous and took a flashlight out to check in case something was trying to break into the coop. Having outdoor pets can be so scary! :ohdear:

Invest in a Fox/Mink/Coon/Rat-B-Gone, otherwise known as a pellet gun. Nothing fancy, just make sure it fires at no less than 1000fps. No loud bangs to scare the neighbours and peace of mind for the livestock. I actually prefer my pellet gun over my .22 lr for pest control.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 31, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

OH DEAR :( I saw rooster feathers for sale still attached to the skin. YIKES! I suppose if you are going to eat the rooster, may as well make use of the skin/feathers.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I had people buying the molted feathers from my chickens, as well as from my Bourke's parakeets and Elegant parakeets (grass 'keets from Australia--beautiful, sweet little birds). I'd save them for a few months and then sell a baggieful on ebay. You do have to make sure they are clean and in great condition, tho.

There is big money these days in feathers, not only from fly tiers but from beauty supply places getting them for hair ornaments/feather extentions. The long pheasant feathers are especially sought after, as are Barred Rock roo hackles. And yeah, you'll see a lot of whole-neck and whole-back chicken parts for sale. At least more of the animal is being used, not just the meat...

Fermented, Caffe continued to lay even though her feathers changed, up until she got too old. I think it depends on the degree of trauma, your bird obviously suffered a greater trauma, poor baby!

Poof, our White Crested Black Polish hen is getting quite old and has a few white wing feathers now, but I put that down to age rather than trauma. Poor Poof is also going blind and will probably become an indoor chicken by this winter.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I decided its about time to start cleaning up my white birds and getting them ready for showing so I brought onion in to clean up. Shes fat,white and her favorite way to eat watermelon and cantaloupe is to just sit inside them while eating so she gets filthy. She also enjoys mud baths.
Sitting on a cabinet showing off her brownish foot feathers.

Some people just wash their birds in the kitchen sink but I think thats kinda weird so I built a shed outside with cleaning stuff and a chicken washing sink.
Fat bird deflated by warm water and baby shampoo.

A dip in liquid blueing to get rid of the stains.

Floating undercarriage feathers.

She had some cornbread just outside camera she was munching on,totally oblivious to the fact the water was getting higher.

Back in the house to warm up an dry off. I had to go out and answer the phone at one point and when I came back she had knocked the bottle of liquid blue on to herself so now shes a blue/white bird till she molts. I figure she sabotaged herself so she wouldnt have to go to any shows for awhile and could continue to be a little pig.

Cochin burrito.

Preening in the sun.

Jesus bird how did you get so much on you.

The chest must be fluffed!

Chicken guard and his ward.

Now shes stomping around a drying cage I moved out into the sun. Bunny silkie is also in there but Silkies act like its the end of the world when they get wet.

Ill take some more as she drys just to see how bad the blue job she gave herself has stained her.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

OH MY GOSH! Tim the Enchanter - that is just too adorable. You wouldn't think they were the same hen! I'm laughing so hard, I've got tears rolling down my cheeks. Thank you for sharing your photos and you great narratives. LOVE THEM!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Ha, Onion is pretty darned smart. :keke:

I've had to wash chickens before for various reasons, some of my Silkies didn't give a rat's rear end and others freaked RIGHT the gently caress out. Their favorite part is the warm air from the hair dryer set on 'low'.

Nice 'shed' ya got there, Tim. ;)

VVVV Lots of people who show animals use liquid blueing to get them their whitest-white, it works really well. Unless your chicken commits laundry additive sabotage, that is.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 2, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Oh my gosh, blue chicken. Haha, crazy girl!

What is that special blue stuff you are washing her with?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

It's called Mrs. Stewarts liquid bluing, supposed to be non-toxic and ive never had a problem with it other than staining stuff and bird feathers if its not diluted before they're put in.

And I wish I was joking but i actually did build a shed outside with extra counter tops and stuff I had just as a chicken washing room. It's not heated so i have to bring birds back in the house to dry off but it has power and running water. It only took a couple of times washing birds in the house before i was convinced to do it. An angry bird in a sink full of water can be a very messy thing. :cry:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Tim the Enchanter posted:

It's called Mrs. Stewarts liquid bluing, supposed to be non-toxic and ive never had a problem with it other than staining stuff and bird feathers if its not diluted before they're put in.

And I wish I was joking but i actually did build a shed outside with extra counter tops and stuff I had just as a chicken washing room. It's not heated so i have to bring birds back in the house to dry off but it has power and running water. It only took a couple of times washing birds in the house before i was convinced to do it. An angry bird in a sink full of water can be a very messy thing. :cry:

Does it work to calm them down if you put something like a small bag over their head?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I had to wash Christina when she was sick, she didn't really like the washing bit but she really loved the hairdryer.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Sometimes I really hate it when my head hen goes broody. I was getting Dust out of the coop so I could clean it. the coop is less than 5 feet tall, so I have to bend down to get in. As I was holding Dust with one hand against my body while I was getting out of the coop, she peck at my face. Most specifically, she went for blood and peck my left eye. Cue lots of tearing from that eye. drat you Dust, :argh:

My eye is not red or swollen, so she didn't do much damage, but I still feel like I got something in my eye that scratches my eyeball when I blink every now and then. Lesson learned, when I get Dust out so I can finish cleaning, I'll have her butt facing me :haw:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

My eye is not red or swollen, so she didn't do much damage, but I still feel like I got something in my eye that scratches my eyeball when I blink every now and then. Lesson learned, when I get Dust out so I can finish cleaning, I'll have her butt facing me :haw:

Chido, your eyeball might have gotten scratched. Be sure NOT rub your eye. Does the eye look red in any way? If so, you should immediately go seek medical treatment (an eye doctor is best). I'd be concerned because chickens aren't very clean. :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

The eyeball isn't red or anything, and that scratching feeling is almost gone. It feels more like I got something stuck in the inside of my eyelid that moves when I blink, but even that is going away, it's not nearly as bad as it was yesterday. I've got some eye drops that my mom had given me (she got them from her eye doctor to help with the dryness and itchiness she feels in her eyes), and I applied some yesterday to help rinse the eye.

I really hope Dust didn't damage my eye, because I don't have insurance and having my eye checked might get pricy.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

The eyeball isn't red or anything, and that scratching feeling is almost gone. It feels more like I got something stuck in the inside of my eyelid that moves when I blink, but even that is going away, it's not nearly as bad as it was yesterday. I've got some eye drops that my mom had given me (she got them from her eye doctor to help with the dryness and itchiness she feels in her eyes), and I applied some yesterday to help rinse the eye.

I really hope Dust didn't damage my eye, because I don't have insurance and having my eye checked might get pricy.

The saline in your mom's eyedrops should help out a lot. On Tuesday, if the eye still feels "scratchy" you might see an eye doctor (an opthamologist). I think an exam should be $100 or so (you wouldn't be needing things like the eye pressure test or eye chart reading), but you might just phone an eye clinic and ask. I know what it's like to have no insurance either. :(

Darn broody hens! :doh:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Tried to get some pictures of blue onion but they all turned out fuzzy due to humidity fogging up everything.

Shes nice and white with shades of blue on her butt puff and wing.

Blue wing

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Tried to get some pictures of blue onion but they all turned out fuzzy due to humidity fogging up everything.

Shes nice and white with shades of blue on her butt puff and wing.

Blue wing

You should dye her blue and tell the judges she is a new type of cochin. A blue cochin.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Hey Tim, could it be possible to see a video of your cochins running around and just being chickens? I've seen a couple of bantam cochin videos in youtube and they are so cute :3:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

I have no video camera ,I dont even have a camera on my cell. :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

c355n4 posted:

You should dye her blue and tell the judges she is a new type of cochin. A blue cochin.

Tim, put in some more streaks of different colors and say she's a punk cochin. :)

Onion is so adorable even if she is a little uncooperative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

c355n4 posted:

Cojiro?

Also Chido, I don't think quick clinics cost TOO much to visit without insurance if you don't have any sort of labs done. They can probably prescibe basic things like drops and such. And if nothing else you'll know if it's a serious concern or not.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 3, 2012