Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010

Francostein posted:

Also the great-grand daddy of your ti-84 is the Texas Instruments SR-50, and you were apparently king poo poo if you had one of these when they first came out. Guess what the SR in the model line stands for.

poo poo Royalty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boiled Water posted:

I for one would like to see a graph of cooling efficiency of water versus air cooled.

I'm sure water cooling is still more efficient, however air cooling solutions today have definitely closed the gap compared with 10 years ago. Most of the multi-heat pipe 120mm tower coolers have so much surface area that having a fan is only required if you're overclocking or running a 4-6 core CPU maxed out with something like Prime95.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I think it's more that smaller die sizes mean that modern CPUs just straight run a lot cooler than they used to, so unless you are doing some SERIOUS overclocking you no longer need liquid cooling.

I don't think there's been any super revolution in air cooling, is what I'm saying.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

GruntyThrst posted:

I think it's more that smaller die sizes mean that modern CPUs just straight run a lot cooler than they used to, so unless you are doing some SERIOUS overclocking you no longer need liquid cooling.

I don't think there's been any super revolution in air cooling, is what I'm saying.

The switch to heat pipes really was a quiet revolution. Yes, die sizes have gone down, but manufacturers have used the increased thermal headroom for more clockspeed and more cores. A heavily overclocked modern CPU uses as much or more power than an overclocked chip from the Athlon XP/P4 era.

I do miss the days of overclocking budget CPUs, though. Up until the end of the Core 2 Duo era, you could get great results on a budget if you paired a cheap processor with a decent motherboard, and overclocked the hell out of them. These days, you have to buy an upper-midrange unlocked multiplier CPU and a fancy chipset if you want to overclock at all. On the budget end of the spectrum, you're just better off buying a cheapo Dell. And while modern CPUs are fast enough that it's not totally terrible (you can still turn that cheap Dell into a credible gaming system), it's still sad to see it go.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

That's not really true. The Celeron 300A had a TDP (Thermal Design Power) of 17.8 Watts, Whereas a Core i5 2500K is 95 Watts. Modern processors are capable of producing a lot more heat.

Air-cooled heatsinks have gotten much larger which allows them to move a lot more heat. Also virtually all aftermarket air-cooled heatsinks use heatpipes (which technically, are a kind of liquid cooling)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

mystes posted:

On the subject of calculators, I was very tempted to buy and HP-30B (seen above) a couple years ago since I thought it was nice that HP was finally making a new, cheap RPN calculator, but I realized that I really can't justify it since I can always just run a calculator program on my smartphone. I've still run into actual calculators in various places but now that smartphones aren't just for early adopters and people with extra cash to burn I can't imagine that they'll last much longer.

Do people still use rubber cement, for example to attach paper to posterboard? Do kids these days still know that you can form it into balls? If not, this is truly a tragic loss.

As of my year-long tenure in art school from 2004-05, it is still used to mount finished products on matboard. In response to that other poster, it differs from white glue and other stuff in that it doesn't permeate the bristol we used for projects and thus doesn't wreck your work.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

GruntyThrst posted:

Heat pipes, and bigger fans that run quieter. I used to use a regular 80mm fan that I stole out of a dead power supply to keep my CPU's cool, because the stock fans were noisy and didn't work as well as the 80mm. I kept having to make adapters for the new heatsinks, but I stuck with that 80mm fan until recently when fan sizes surpassed it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Sex Hobbit posted:

In response to that other poster, it differs from white glue and other stuff in that it doesn't permeate the bristol we used for projects and thus doesn't wreck your work.

Also, it holds up to drat near anything.

Also, you can get wrecked as gently caress on the fumes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

The switch to heat pipes really was a quiet revolution. Yes, die sizes have gone down, but manufacturers have used the increased thermal headroom for more clockspeed and more cores. A heavily overclocked modern CPU uses as much or more power than an overclocked chip from the Athlon XP/P4 era.

I do miss the days of overclocking budget CPUs, though. Up until the end of the Core 2 Duo era, you could get great results on a budget if you paired a cheap processor with a decent motherboard, and overclocked the hell out of them. These days, you have to buy an upper-midrange unlocked multiplier CPU and a fancy chipset if you want to overclock at all. On the budget end of the spectrum, you're just better off buying a cheapo Dell. And while modern CPUs are fast enough that it's not totally terrible (you can still turn that cheap Dell into a credible gaming system), it's still sad to see it go.

Wait CPU multipliers are locked now? Granted, the last thing I tried to overclock was my old Athlon 4000 so I'm not exactly up to date with the LED fan community but why would they even start to do that, just so you have to pay more? :psyduck:

Anyway, anyone remember the ATI AMD R300 (9xxx) series of cards? That poo poo was relevant forever. I remember we got a 9800 Pro when they first came out in 2002, used it until it finally died years later. All they did with those cards for years was swap out the memory for higher bus width and larger amounts and it would suddenly work great with the latest games. I played Half Life 2 for the first time on that 9800, replaced it with a modern 9600 with more RAM when it broke, and only got a newer card when DirectX 10 came out. I think they still sell the 92xx ones for low-end budget applications.

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Sep 2, 2012

Poknok
Mar 14, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SimplyCosmic posted:

Speaking of CPUs, how common is overclocking these days? I'm suddenly nostalgic for the crazy overclocking days of the Celeron 300A, where the goal among friends was to double the clock speed.

I'm speaking from personal experience, I recently managed to overclock an AMD FX-8120 by a whopping 40% and then crunched numbers like that for months on end without a single crash. The processor ran pretty hot even with an aftermarket heatsink, but it did more work than a midrange i5 that replaced it when the mainboard died. :(

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

spog posted:

Bloody hell, I really don't know whether to be impressed or not with that.

One one hand, it's clever technology, on the other, it spending $230 per student a great move, when for not much more, you could give them an entire netbook that does all that and a heck of a lot more?

What I do miss is my old Texas Instruments scientific calculator that had proper 'STO' and 'RCL' buttons. I can't find anything that does that now:

e.g.

5+5=9 STO
AC
2+2=4
4+RCL =13

They all seem to have 'M' and 'M+' which don't work the same way and get cleared when you hit AC.

(I'm in the UK and TI calcs don't seem popular anymore)

EDIT: Can someone tell me if any of the cheap TI calcs do that still?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st...ator&sort=price
I want a calculator where the STO value stays in memory, no matter whether you hit AC.

Uh, virtually any scientific (let alone graphic) calculator should let you do this. Digging up my old Sharp scientific calculator from my uni days, you could set any number as variables A-F and X/Y so A^2+(X/Y) would work through recall, with values maintained until you cleared the memory.

Edit: It was an earlier model of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-Scientific-Calculator-EL531WB/dp/B0013DD7SU/ref=sr_1_6?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1346587754&sr=1-6. I never even used half of the features so god knows what some of them do..

Powerful Two-Hander has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Sep 2, 2012

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Regarding the TI calculators, I totally remember cheating and putting the formulae into the programs. Then I got creative and made programs that solved the function if you put in the numbers you were given. Pretty clever if I do say so myself. Another thing was when teachers caught on, you could program it to repeat numbers over and over until you break the chain. So you could hide the equations in a different program in case the teachers checked your programs.

Also, my grandfather taught my sister how to use a slide rule when she was 9. That kid is far smarter than I will ever be.

Herbicidal Maniac has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Sep 2, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Uh, virtually any scientific (let alone graphic) calculator should let you do this. Digging up my old Sharp scientific calculator from my uni days, you could set any number as variables A-F and X/Y so A^2+(X/Y) would work through recall, with values maintained until you cleared the memory.

Edit: It was an earlier model of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-Scientific-Calculator-EL531WB/dp/B0013DD7SU/ref=sr_1_6?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1346587754&sr=1-6. I never even used half of the features so god knows what some of them do..

Well, maybe I am being a bit thick, but they don't seem to work that way: whenever you press AC, it clears the STO memory.

Fortunately, that exact model you posted has a simulator you can download so you can see what I mean:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/gb/hs.xsl/-/html/pc-simulator.htm

Whenever I press AC, it deletes the memory.

EDIT: I am indeed a moron!

You need to press STO A or STO B to put it into a memory and that persists, even after an AC.

I guess my very old calc only had a single memory slot, so you didn't need to choose A,B, etc, so I learnt the wrong method

Thanks for the patient explanation. I am going shopping!

spog has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Sep 2, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
On both simulators, it looks like ON/C clears the current screen but not the memory. I don't see an "AC" key on the device (although may I'm overlooking it).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

buttopticor posted:

On both simulators, it looks like ON/C clears the current screen but not the memory. I don't see an "AC" key on the device (although may I'm overlooking it).

Yes, you are right: on this model, there is an ON/C button, but not an AC.

This behaviour also occurs on all the other calcs I tried - some of which have AC buttons.

The problem is that I was not using the STO/RCL function properly and specifying a memory slot each time. That's my habit from using a calc with only one slot - you only need to press STO/RCL to use the single memory slot.

It wasn't until I read Powerful Two-Hander's explanation, that I realised my error.

Next I'll be complaining that modern graphing calculators don't use punch cards to load functions.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

WebDog posted:

Remind me of the old Athalon 1800's which were a popular choice to crank up to 2.33ghz.

Oh man, I remember raging about this so hard on forums back in 1999-2000. This specific misspelling was probably more common than the correct spelling.

I always wondered, do people who misspell Athlon pronounce it the way they spell it? Like how some people can't say "athlete" so they say "ath-a-lete" instead?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

spog posted:

5+5=9 STO
I think I might have worked out why they stopped making this calculator.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Geoj posted:

I'm sure water cooling is still more efficient

It would be; to make a long story short, the quantity of heat transfer is proportional to the Reynolds (measure of turbulence) and Prandtl numbers. Prandtl numbers for liquids are orders of magnitude higher than that of gases.

e: listen to this guy below me!

Isentropy has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Sep 3, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Isentropy posted:

It would be; to make a long story short, the quantity of heat transfer is proportional to the Reynolds (measure of turbulence) and Prandtl numbers. Prandtl numbers for liquids are orders of magnitude higher than that of gases.

The Prandtl number isn't a measurement of how well a given substance moves heat, it's a measurement of how it does it. That kind of analysis falls apart completely when you're talking about heat pipes, because they work by phase change: the coolant boils at the hot end, condenses at the cool end, and latent heat effects carry a lot of energy. Plus, water cooling systems are actively pumped. If you just depended on convection to carry heat away from a CPU (or whatever else), water cooling would work poorly.

In practice, the limiting factor is almost always the radiator dumping heat into the air. Small pre-assembled water coolers designed to fit 120mm fans aren't any better than a similarly sized heat pipe cooler. Big custom water cooling loops that can fit a 360x120mm radiator (or something even bigger salvaged out of a junkyard) give you better performance, because they've got a bigger radiator. But, they're also expensive, a tremendous pain in the rear end to maintain, and the performance increase isn't really relevant unless you're trying for a let's-burn-this-motherfucker-up sort of thing (in which case, you're probably better off with phase change the old fashioned way: a copper pot and a dewar of liquid nitrogen).

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
What have I done...

To try and re rail the thread, I like candlestick phones, like this one:

Instantly recognizable by the average person, and very anachronistic. I have a Western Electric one I bought as a joke when someone kept bitching at me to get a new phone. Just to mess with them even more I acted out the "Can you hear me now? Good!" bit with it in front of them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Space Gopher posted:

Small pre-assembled water coolers designed to fit 120mm fans aren't any better than a similarly sized heat pipe cooler. Big custom water cooling loops that can fit a 360x120mm radiator (or something even bigger salvaged out of a junkyard) give you better performance, because they've got a bigger radiator. But, they're also expensive, a tremendous pain in the rear end to maintain, and the performance increase isn't really relevant unless you're trying for a let's-burn-this-motherfucker-up sort of thing (in which case, you're probably better off with phase change the old fashioned way: a copper pot and a dewar of liquid nitrogen).

Which is basically what they use at the World Overclocking Championships.

One common reason I hear for using watercooling is that watercooled systems don't produce fan noise, which is pretty useful in a number of circumstances.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Yes they do. When the heat has gone from the CPU into the water what do you think cools the water?

It's a fan.

Unless you're boiling off the water but that might be too much for the electronics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boiled Water posted:

Yes they do. When the heat has gone from the CPU into the water what do you think cools the water?

It's a fan.

Yeah, but there are fewer fans running at lower speeds. Pulling up a random thread from Google:

http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/showthread.php?32-What-to-expect-from-Water-Cooling

quote:

On powering both systems up the first thing that is strikingly obvious is the noise level. The water cooled system has 2x 120mm fans running very slow and quiet and is almost inaudible compared to the high speed CPU and GPU fans of the air cooled system.

I've also seen enough to know that a good WC rig is quieter than operating noise, whereas I can definitely hear the fans on my own system better than I can the HDDs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Anyway, anyone remember the ATI AMD R300 (9xxx) series of cards? That poo poo was relevant forever. I remember we got a 9800 Pro when they first came out in 2002, used it until it finally died years later. All they did with those cards for years was swap out the memory for higher bus width and larger amounts and it would suddenly work great with the latest games. I played Half Life 2 for the first time on that 9800, replaced it with a modern 9600 with more RAM when it broke, and only got a newer card when DirectX 10 came out. I think they still sell the 92xx ones for low-end budget applications.

I ran a 9550 Pro (AGR 8x, awww yeah) for years and years. Hell, its still sitting in a box on my parts shelf after I turned that old desktop into a NAS. Some driver conflict would cause Half Life 2 to crash whenever I tried to start it, but it ran Doom 3 without a problem. I finally replaced it (and the entire computer, a 1.3ghz amd cpu and 512mb of ram wasn't cutting it anymore) sometime after the WotLK launch. The 8800gt I stepped up to was a screaming upgrade.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stick Insect posted:

I also had one of these:

Solid state mp3 players seemed rather useless at the time because of the small amount of disk space and high price, but this was perfect. I had a friend bring me one from the US.

It said it had a "120 second cache", which meant as it would play mp3 files, sometimes the disk would stop spinning for a minute and a half as it played from the cache.

In the pic the screen looks rather large but one third of it features some dancing figures that change at random, so despite the large-ish screen there'd still only be two lines of text on it.

I later replaced it with a minidisk player even though those were becoming obsolete already. I had a huge machine for recording, and a small pocket-sized one for listening on the go, but that one couldn't record. Since I got free national public transport as a student, I got both second hand for a low price even if that involved traveling to the other side of the country.

Sold both to my uncle when I realised I never used them.

The CD-MP3 players were a great thing before the HD/solid state players became viable. I had one of these:

http://www.safa.com.hk/smcd_100r_i.html

In fact, I still do, somewhere, and beside a few screwed up pixels on the remote, it worked perfectly fine the last time I tried it. It came with a bunch of flat AA-sized rechargeable batteries that fit under the CD, and an battery pack for two AAs for ridiculous playing time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arrath posted:

I ran a 9550 Pro (AGR 8x, awww yeah) for years and years. Hell, its still sitting in a box on my parts shelf after I turned that old desktop into a NAS. Some driver conflict would cause Half Life 2 to crash whenever I tried to start it, but it ran Doom 3 without a problem. I finally replaced it (and the entire computer, a 1.3ghz amd cpu and 512mb of ram wasn't cutting it anymore) sometime after the WotLK launch. The 8800gt I stepped up to was a screaming upgrade.

Yeah I remember the drivers being wonky as hell for everything except the "standard" numbers 9600 and 9800, though even with those HL2 would crash every 3 hours or so and I'd have to restart, but that was just part of the fun of being on the cutting edge of videogame technology :shobon:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Jedit posted:

Yeah, but there are fewer fans running at lower speeds. Pulling up a random thread from Google:

http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/showthread.php?32-What-to-expect-from-Water-Cooling

I've also seen enough to know that a good WC rig is quieter than operating noise, whereas I can definitely hear the fans on my own system better than I can the HDDs.

That's an old system, and the baseline for air-cooled CPUs was one of the annoyingly loud AMD stock coolers from that era. This is getting into the territory of the SH/SC parts picking thread, and we can take the discussion there if you want, but an air-cooled system built with attention to noise levels will almost always be quieter than a water-cooled system that has to run a pump as well as the same number of fans. Water cooled computers are, outside of a few specialized applications, an excellent subject for this thread - they're obsolete and failed technology suited mostly for increasing the owner's e-peen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Also, you can get wrecked as gently caress on the fumes.

The last time I saw some rubber cement, my crunk-rear end buddies were trying to light it on fire and watching it crawl down vertical surfaces.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

That's an old system, and the baseline for air-cooled CPUs was one of the annoyingly loud AMD stock coolers from that era. This is getting into the territory of the SH/SC parts picking thread, and we can take the discussion there if you want, but an air-cooled system built with attention to noise levels will almost always be quieter than a water-cooled system that has to run a pump as well as the same number of fans. Water cooled computers are, outside of a few specialized applications, an excellent subject for this thread - they're obsolete and failed technology suited mostly for increasing the owner's e-peen.

Mine clogged with corroded water block bits due to a metal mismatch and broke open and shorted out my motherboard :argh:

Speaking of which, that was an old Socket 423 (Pentium 4) system that functioned as my computer, and then my first hobby PC where I learned linux and web hosting and programming and all sorts of things. Lasted from 2002 right up until 2008, when that water cooling incident caused it to literally catch fire.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

WebDog posted:

The Gizmondo

It was an attempt to muscle in to the market the N-Gage was supposedly creating, at the time (2005) it was seen as pretty feature rich supporting a sim card, GPS, 3mp camera and bluetooth.
This was seven years ago, and there were even dedicated shops (well, at least one) that sold nothing but this device and the handful of games it had. Less than 30k units have been sold though it was a very powerful device for its time. Best selling game was "sticky balls". Haha.
http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/04/visiting-gizmondo-shop.html (sadly, no pictures)
I am kind of tempted to buy this mysterious thing now.

lllllllllllllllllll has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Sep 2, 2012

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Here you go mate:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100325215920/http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/04/visiting-gizmondo-shop.html

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

spog posted:

Yes, you are right: on this model, there is an ON/C button, but not an AC.

This behaviour also occurs on all the other calcs I tried - some of which have AC buttons.

The problem is that I was not using the STO/RCL function properly and specifying a memory slot each time. That's my habit from using a calc with only one slot - you only need to press STO/RCL to use the single memory slot.

It wasn't until I read Powerful Two-Hander's explanation, that I realised my error.

Next I'll be complaining that modern graphing calculators don't use punch cards to load functions.

:)

Weirdly, I always had the opposite problem, I could never use the "basic" memory function with M+ and M- etc. because no matter what I was doing I'd end up clearing it - probably because I was hitting AC all the time!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Space Gopher posted:

Seconding this. My desktop uses all 120mm fans running at 60 - 75% of full speed (via an old school pcmods.com rheobus from 2001) and the fan noise is barely noticeable.

e:

Actually, mentioning the pcmods rheobus reminded me - have we touched on DIY PC modding yet?

I got into it about a year before you could buy cases with windows pre-installed on the side (end of the 90s/start of the 2000s.) I spent about three hours with a handheld electric dremel and 1" cutoff discs cutting through the .8mm case side to put that monster in. Thinking back this was literally the coolest thing I had ever seen when I first stumbled on it, and and now its so played out its not even funny.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Sep 3, 2012

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Francostein posted:

For the engineering equivalent of the bar exam you're only allowed certain types of scientific calculators. They're pretty much the current Casio, HP, and TI models that can't save data beyond a few registers worth of numbers. Even in the most difficult engineering courses you should never need anything more advanced than those little guys. If the calculator does trig functions then you're A-Ok pretty much.

Yeah, that was problem for me when I took the PE exam 'cause I had to figure out where everything was on a new calculator (bought a month before the exam).

My main calculator is this:

The HP48SX. When I was in school, all the real engineering students used the HP, TIs were for liberal arts majors, and the 48SX was top of the line. I think I bought it in 91? when I was a very broke community college student and it was at least a week's salary. I still love this thing tho' and use it every day. (it's actually in my purse to I remember to get batteries for it). Once you go RPN, you can't go back.

Edit: OMG that image was huge.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Sup HP48 buddy. I only had the HP48G+, no expansion slots for me. I still have mine and use it if I am actually going to do calculations at home. The buttons are so positive in their feedback. The whole calculator is built like a tank. The worst thing about them is the garbage collection that stalls out the calculator.

I find myself using the emulated HP48 on my phone while at work, since I don't have room for the real thing in my pockets. I really miss the buttons on the phone though.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby
'Sup, :hfive:.

Yeah, it does have a nice tactile response, I don't even really have to look at it anymore when I'm doing calcs. And I like having the big stack to temporarily store stuff on. Man, I hadn't even thought to look for a HP48 emulator, that's an awesome idea.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geoj posted:

I got into it about a year before you could buy cases with windows pre-installed on the side (end of the 90s/start of the 2000s.) I spent about three hours with a handheld electric dremel and 1" cutoff discs cutting through the .8mm case side to put that monster in. Thinking back this was literally the coolest thing I had ever seen when I first stumbled on it, and and now its so played out its not even funny.

Oh man, I did the same thing but with a manual tool known as a nibbler, basically it takes tiny chunks out of the metal at a time, and after about five or so your hand is burning from squeezing on it over and over again, and you've only gone like one inch. Totally worth it for the :krad: show-off ability though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Francostein posted:

Also the great-grand daddy of your ti-84 is the Texas Instruments SR-50, and you were apparently king poo poo if you had one of these when they first came out. Guess what the SR in the model line stands for.

I give up, what does it stand for?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sagebrush posted:

I give up, what does it stand for?

Slide Rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I guess that makes sense, but it seems to me that they'd be trying to make a distinction between the device and their primary competition, right?