Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

WaterIsPoison posted:

What are some decent Cuban places?

If you're just into the sandwiches, there's the Crazy Cuban on 14th st. It's like Kool Korners, but you don't have to drive all the way out to Birmingham. There's another location up on Powers Ferry Rd, but I've never been to that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

antisodachrist posted:

Las Palmeras changed owners and its name recently. A local food critic bought it and it is now called Cruzado.

woah. thanks. last few times I went by, it was closed on odd days of the week. thought I was just unlucky, but guess that would explain a few things.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

If you're just into the sandwiches, there's the Crazy Cuban on 14th st. It's like Kool Korners, but you don't have to drive all the way out to Birmingham. There's another location up on Powers Ferry Rd, but I've never been to that one.

In my opinion Crazy Cuban kind of stinks and their sandwiches are not much like Kool Korner's. If I just want a sandwich I'd go to Papi's, Havana, or Little Cuba.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

venutolo posted:

In my opinion Crazy Cuban kind of stinks and their sandwiches are not much like Kool Korner's. If I just want a sandwich I'd go to Papi's, Havana, or Little Cuba.

Crazy Cuban is ok, but that's only because they are within walking distance of my work and they're relatively cheap compared to everything else in walking distance.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

In my opinion Crazy Cuban kind of stinks

My lunch says "gently caress you."

I respect and value your opinion.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Generally the regular/non-seasonal Sweetwater brews are kinda meh to me, but some of their seasonals and Dank Tank special projects really kick rear end. I've heard that you may have the opportunity to sample beers that simply aren't available anywhere else on the tour.

I used to have a Taco Mac around the corner (E/W Connector/Austell) that would carry the Dank Tank brews but it got shut down for some reason. I WANT MY GODDAMN 98 BEERS ON TAP AROUND THE CORNER BACK DAMMIT! :argh:

I am an assistant kitchen manager at Taco Mac! Any questions please ask!

The location I currently work at has 104 taps!

EDIT: Also a taco mac secret: mild, medium, and hot comes from the same Taco Mac wing sauce bottle. We just add more of the sauce to make it hotter.

Bstyles fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 17, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bstyles posted:

I am an assistant kitchen manager at Taco Mac! Any questions please ask!

whats it like to be an assistant kitchen manager at taco mac

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm in the Duluth/Lawrenceville area for the weekend. Any good eats I should check out? I don't really know the area.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I'm in the Duluth/Lawrenceville area for the weekend. Any good eats I should check out? I don't really know the area.

Check out Umaido in Suwanee for the ramen. You won't be disappointed.

Also, Honey Pig in Duluth has the best Korean BBQ around.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

RHIN0002 posted:

Check out Umaido in Suwanee for the ramen. You won't be disappointed.

Also, Honey Pig in Duluth has the best Korean BBQ around.

Seconding Umaido. Easily the best ramen in town.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I did a cursory search of this thread and I didn't see anything, so I'm going to recommend Tasty China in Marietta. Hot drat, their Szechuan cuisine is amazing. When I go, I recommend:
- Dan Dan noodles (beef or pork)
- Dry Fried Crispy Eggplant with Hot Numbing Pepper
- Dry Fried Beef with Hot Numbing Pepper
- Shan City Chicken (hot as gently caress)

They have some pretty vanilla American-Chinese food too, for your less spice-loving friends.

It's been mentioned a couple times previously, but I want to throw my hat into the ring for Canoe as well. I made reservations for me and my girlfriend following her MCAT last Thursday. On the OpenTable reservation, I mentioned that she would have just taken her MCAT, and I wanted to do something nice for her. Our waitress went out of her way to ask my girlfriend how the test went, and had "Congratulations!" written in chocolate sauce on our desert. The food was just top notch, by the way. It's pricey, but worth it every once in a while.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I did a cursory search of this thread and I didn't see anything, so I'm going to recommend Tasty China in Marietta. Hot drat, their Szechuan cuisine is amazing. When I go, I recommend:
- Dan Dan noodles (beef or pork)
- Dry Fried Crispy Eggplant with Hot Numbing Pepper
- Dry Fried Beef with Hot Numbing Pepper
- Shan City Chicken (hot as gently caress)

They have some pretty vanilla American-Chinese food too, for your less spice-loving friends.

It's been mentioned a couple times previously, but I want to throw my hat into the ring for Canoe as well. I made reservations for me and my girlfriend following her MCAT last Thursday. On the OpenTable reservation, I mentioned that she would have just taken her MCAT, and I wanted to do something nice for her. Our waitress went out of her way to ask my girlfriend how the test went, and had "Congratulations!" written in chocolate sauce on our desert. The food was just top notch, by the way. It's pricey, but worth it every once in a while.

tasty china in marietta is awesome. the hot and numbing peppers are great, as is the smoked and fried duck. I haven't really gone wrong with anything on the menu

it's also BYOB.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Thirding Tasty China's awesomeness. I was introduced to it by a former employer who was friends with the owners and I work right down the road from it.

If you know what to ask for, the best things aren't on the menu. Unfortunately I've only had access to that when I've been there with other Chinese people...hmmm...

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I need some recommendations for a few very good lunch spots for this coming weekend, as I'll staying in the downtown area for the entirety of DragonCon.
We're staying at the Holiday Inn a block from Centennial and anything walking distance would be great, but also anything accessible via Marta would work as well since the station is directly in the middle of the Con.
As far as cost goes, anything is fine. We're going to Trader Vic's Thursday evening, but other than that, I have nothing.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

RHIN0002 posted:

I need some recommendations for a few very good lunch spots for this coming weekend, as I'll staying in the downtown area for the entirety of DragonCon.
We're staying at the Holiday Inn a block from Centennial and anything walking distance would be great, but also anything accessible via Marta would work as well since the station is directly in the middle of the Con.
As far as cost goes, anything is fine. We're going to Trader Vic's Thursday evening, but other than that, I have nothing.

Googie in the park has pretty good burgers and fries (and awesome shakes). Broad Street between Peachtree and Marietta St. has some good lunch places, including Ali Baba's, Rosa's Pizza, and Reuben's if you want some awesome sandwiches. Most everything there except Reubens are M-F lunch joints, though. If you wander over to Walton St. between Farlie and Forsyth, there's an awesome shawarma place (if it's still open, haven't been there in a few months) and a great Caribbean joint, Calypso Cafe. Further north, Cafe Intermezzo next to The Ellis at Ellis and Peachtree is pretty good.

Also, you should go check out the Sun Dial on top of the Westin at some point. No idea if the food is any good (and it's damned expensive), so you might want to just pop into the lounge for an overpriced drink, but the view is pretty awesome.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
there's a good korean place across from woodruff park, but I'd mostly suggest moseying over to the sweet auburn market. there are a number of 'authentic' atlanta restaurants in there that serve up really good food - nothing (well, very little) out of a sysco truck. whereas tons of the places on forsyth/broad street area are just geared up to dish out food as fast as possible to masses of hungry office workers and georgia state students.

in sweet auburn, there's an arepas stand that my girlfriend really likes - haven't had it but I probably will give it a shot tomorrow. there's an excellent burger place that's great, a bbq place, an african cuisine place (get the goat stew, it's amazing), a newfangled hotdog stand, etc - all in the sort of trendy farm to table style.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

RHIN0002 posted:

Take MARTA to Decatur. Better food than most of what you'll get downtown, and you won't have to deal with as much craziness. It is the weekend of the Decatur Book Festival, so midday/afternoons will be busy, but evenings will be normal.

Brickstore, which is right on the Decatur Square, is arguably the best beer bar in Atlanta. Top 10 in the world. And it's not expensive to drink there.

There's also Leon's, 246, Iberian Pig, Mac McGee's, Twains, Cakes and Ale, Farmburger (a bit couple blocks walk from the square), there are tons of good eating and drinking options.

I forget whether they let you walk around in the square with alcohol during book fest, but I think the answer is "yes."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey guys, so

reasonable (500-750ish) amount of money available this weekend for a romantic night or two in Atlanta (or georgia, I guess) - what would you do?

been struggling with this this week. options I've come up with thus far

• quinones room at bacchanalia, then out clubbing, sleep at home in midtown
  • try to get a hotel at/near dragon con with a hot tub for a night or two, people watch, eat at nikolai's roof for kicks
  • rent a cabin in near ellijay (again, with a hot tub), grill the gently caress out of some food.
  • stay at home, make puppy dog eyes at my girl because all our anniversary night plans fell through

I don't know, I'm pretty indifferent about those options, looking for inspiration. hopefully what you guys would do is somehow vastly different from what I would do!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 30, 2012

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Book a room in Asheville, go hiking in the fog/rain in the blue ridge mountains, come back every night to great beer and fun times.

Hotel Indigo is good. I've also really liked the Residences at Biltmore, but it's a bit more money and not within a close walk to downtown.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Get 360 banh mi from Quoc Huong. Eat as many as you can, then sleep on a bed made from the leftovers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I know it doesn't help you now, but I can say nothing bad about the Bella B&B in Danielsville, GA.
http://bellabedandbreakfast.com/

I did a wine tasting at the attached vineyard, and it was quite a lot of fun (and I'm not really a wine person).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Went to Yeah Burger in the Highlands yesterday. $13.47 for a god damned hamburger, fries, and fountain drink. And it wasn't even that good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

what is this posted:

Book a room in Asheville, go hiking in the fog/rain in the blue ridge mountains, come back every night to great beer and fun times.

this is a great suggestion, we went to asheville earlier this year actually though, rented a room in a B&B near downtown. was great fun. gently caress man, the biltmore house is pretty awesome - wanna live there :(

Safety Dance posted:

I know it doesn't help you now, but I can say nothing bad about the Bella B&B in Danielsville, GA.
http://bellabedandbreakfast.com/

looks good, thanks for the suggestion. though man, danielsville looks like it's smack dab in the middle of nowhere - is there fun stuff to do in that area of georgia?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 30, 2012

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I've never been, but Serenbe Inn always piqued my interest. Seems like there is enough stuff to do in the community for a weekend at least.

http://www.serenbeinn.com/

PapaBear
Jan 24, 2012
If you're willing to get out of Atlanta, I'd hit up the coast:

Cumberland Island's Greyfield Inn: http://www.greyfieldinn.com/

Jekyll Island Club Hotel: http://www.jekyllclub.com/

edit: I got married on Jekyll. There's not much to do on the island...it's really quiet, and most people are older and retired. But it's an amazing place if you two enjoy doing your own thing and value quiet. The hotel itself is wonderful; it's like taking a step back into the past.

PapaBear fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 31, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mindphlux posted:

looks good, thanks for the suggestion. though man, danielsville looks like it's smack dab in the middle of nowhere - is there fun stuff to do in that area of georgia?

Eh. It's like 30 minutes to Athens, so there's that, and like 15-20 minutes from the Tanger Outlets if you like reasonably discounted shopping. It's also pretty close to Tallulah Gorge State Park if you like hiking. The winery throws a party-type-event every now and again, and that sounded pretty fun.

Honestly, it was just nice to get out of the house for a night and watch Princess Bride in someone else's bed while drinking cheap college town liquor.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
I'm just going to come out and say it.

Flip burger is poo poo for the price.

Also, as a native Louisianan, Parish is a joke. I went up there with a friend of mine who's also eaten at the chef's table at Commander's Palace, and the guy whose resume listed him as a chef there only got paid to observe (aka he never did anything.) He got paid by his restaurant group (Sotto Sotto) to claim that he was a chef at Commander's Palace.

After we outed that degenerate gently caress Parish has relisted their menu as modern American.

Fancy that poo poo.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 1, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Southern Dandy posted:

I'm just going to come out and say it.

Flip burger is poo poo for the price.

Also, as a native Louisianan, Parish is a joke. I went up there with a friend of mine who's also eaten at the chef's table at Commander's Palace, and the guy whose resume listed him as a chef there only got paid to observe (aka he never did anything.) He got paid by his restaurant group (Sotto Sotto) to claim that he was a chef at Commander's Palace.

After we outed that degenerate gently caress Parish has relisted their menu as modern American.

Fancy that poo poo.

yeah, I do like flip. I mean sometimes their food / service falls short, but it's a cheap night out of good interesting food compared to nicer places.

I don't quite understand what you're saying about the chef at parish though. I do, however, agree that the food is a joke - Louisianan or no. I've had some seriously bad food experiences all 3 times I've been to parish - both brunch and dinner.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I do like flip. I mean sometimes their food / service falls short, but it's a cheap night out of good interesting food compared to nicer places.

I don't quite understand what you're saying about the chef at parish though. I do, however, agree that the food is a joke - Louisianan or no. I've had some seriously bad food experiences all 3 times I've been to parish - both brunch and dinner.

Bit boozed up when I wrote that, so it was a bit garbled. Basically, the restaurant group that owns Parish sent this guy to observe the kitchen at Commander's Palace and then claimed he was a chef there. They have a new chef now, and supposedly it's better than it used to be. I was thinking about checking it out this weekend.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Current head chef at Parish is one of my best friends, so I was about to get crazy bitch on this thread before that second post. He hasn't done much with new menu items or anything yet, but he knows the menu is mostly bullshit and he's trying to refine it a lot.

Either way dude is rad and taught me a hell of a lot about cooking.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
*backpedals a shitload* the last time I ate at parish was like over 8 months ago, soooo

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have any opinions about Wrecking Bar Brewpub? A guy I've met and talked to a few times is taking over the head chef position there and I know nothing about it.

Also, Kevin Gillespie is leaving Woodfire Grill.

My mother was in town a couple weeks ago and we ate at a lot of good places, which included trying a few places for the first time that I rather enjoyed:

Ria's Bluebird has some ridiculously good pancakes. I'm not much into breakfast food, but those were so good and the best I've had. I'm sure it is jammed on weekend mornings, so I probably won't have them again until I take a day off from work.

No. 246 in Decatur was really great. Their porchetta sandwich was among the best things I ate in my week of gluttonous feasting. Of all the places I visited for the first time, I most want to go back to No. 246.

Steinbeck's has a small menu, and was a particularly great value. Based on the prices we figured it would be small plates, or at least small portions, but there was a good quantity of good food. When we got the bill we were surprised how inexpensive it was.

The Optimist is pricey, but I was rather impressed by what we had. We had the scallops and swordfish, and both dishes were executed incredibly well.I absolutely loved the interior of the restaurant, and it may be my favorite restaurant interior in Atlanta that I can think of.

I finally got around to trying The Iberian Pig after it being on my "to try" list for a long time. Everything was really good, with my favorites being the bacon wrapped dates, various cheeses, and the charcuterie. I would eat a disgusting amount of their Iberico Tasting (Jamon Iberico, Paleta Iberico de Bellota, Lomo Iberico de Bellota) if I could afford to.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2012

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Current head chef at Parish is one of my best friends, so I was about to get crazy bitch on this thread before that second post. He hasn't done much with new menu items or anything yet, but he knows the menu is mostly bullshit and he's trying to refine it a lot.

Either way dude is rad and taught me a hell of a lot about cooking.

No offense intended to you or your friend!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Anyone have any opinions about Wrecking Bar Brewpub? A guy I've met and talked to a few times is taking over the head chef position there and I know nothing about it.

Also, Kevin Gillespie is leaving Woodfire Grill.

I have sort of strong opinions on wrecking bar, since the concept and location were basically the same as the 'in my head/dreamworld I'd like to open this restaurant' ambitions I have.

I wrote the guy who owns it when its opening was first announced, asking if he was hiring, or needed help with anything on the brewing side. he never wrote me back - which fair enough, I'm sure he had enough on his hands. we've since exchanged words, and he does actually seem like a pretty awesome guy, with a similar background - he helped start a technical company or something, and got bored and decided to buy a building to turn into a restaurant for the heck of it.

but, he hired this alpharetta brewmasters guy as the brewmaster, and I really haven't been so fond of that brewclub at local homebrew events - they come off as pretty wanky and insular. and in any case the beer there has been pretty boring and technically flawed (IE, tastes like homebrew) - so dunno.

I haven't really eaten the food there, but some food savvy friends say it's a bit of a let down. glad to hear the place is getting a new chef - I mean, I really want the place to succeed, but it just seems like it has so much stacked against it. neighbors complaining about noise (they have to close at like 11-12pm because of it), and less-than-ideal parking. dunno.

my secret plan is that the place will fail, declare bankruptcy, and I'll buy it at a huge discount and make it everything it should have been. buahahhaa :cawg:

also, what?

what's kevin doing? I thought he was basically like a business partner at the place, so it seems pretty surprising he'd leave...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 3, 2012

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Great chicken and dumplings at Wisteria!

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 3, 2012

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

also, what?

what's kevin doing? I thought he was basically like a business partner at the place, so it seems pretty surprising he'd leave...

If I recall correctly, he divested himself of the business partner stuff a while ago, but stayed as the chef. He's now leaving to focus on a couple books. I'm on my phone, so I don't feel like finding the link, but this information came from Atlanta Magazine's website somewhere.

edit: I had that a bit wrong. Gillespie sold his ownership share to focus on a couple cookbooks. He'll be leaving Woodfire at the end of the year, and then sometime later opening a new restaurant called Gunshow.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 3, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

new restaurant called Gunshow.

lol

seriously hope when you walk in the door the hostess is a burly big guy and hes like WELCOME TO THE GUNSHOW

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Honestly I would probably walk out if that weren't the case.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
A couple notes about Bocado, which is one of my favorite places:

Executive chef Todd Ginsberg may be leaving to go to some new restaurant in Decatur from the West Egg people. I really love Bocado and have talked to Chef Ginsberg a bit (last time we discussed fantasy football), so I'd be very disappointed if he went elsewhere.

Bocado got a 67/U on their latest inspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Okay, I had a godawful week and I need some foodie therapy. I'm broke so I'd like to stay in Lawrenceville-Snellville-Lilburn ish and not spend a lot of money. My favorite sushi joint closed (Kinyobee =( ) but really anything cheap and amazing is fine.