Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

jwnin posted:

I just saw that the Dell U2713 is now available in the US for $800. Not sure if I'd want to jump on that, or just two U2412s for a similar figure.

A little worried about the backlight bleeding referenced above, although it seems to be hard to google 'dell' and 'backlight bleeding problem' without getting hits.
I thought Dell was really good with monitor returns for problems like that.

If I were in your position, I'd go with the two U2412s personally. I prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio, I wouldn't need as much GPU power for gaming, and you get 25% more pixels than the U2713.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
what is the consensus on this particular monitor? I will be using it for gaming with a 7770, yay nay?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

professor muthafukkah posted:

what is the consensus on this particular monitor? I will be using it for gaming with a 7770, yay nay?

It's nothing special. For a bit more, you can get this one, which will have a much better picture, and viewing angles. With the 7770, you may have to turn down some settings, but it should manage.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jwnin posted:

I just saw that the Dell U2713 is now available in the US for $800.

link?

here's hoping when I order one it wont' have the same light leak :/

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

I have a Dell 2209WA (1680x1050) and am in the market to upgrade my PC. Because I'm replacing my 8800GT and need to decide on a new graphics card, I'm trying to figure out if upgrading to a Dell U2312HM at the same time would be worth it? I know I can probably get away with a lesser card to power my current monitor, and haven't had any issues with it, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's even worth it? I do plan on gaming and watching movies on this PC. I could also look into a different, cheaper 1080P monitor.

Alternatively, I could go with a lesser card like the 7850 and just put that money toward a nice 27 inch monitor later down the road when I'm ready to ditch the 7850.

Thoughts?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
For these Korean monitors, I assume a Thunderbolt to dual dvi will work fine with the 2012 air using something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I guess it has to be USB powered as well, since that seems to be the only adapter I can find? Will I have any issues pushing it with the air if I'm not doing any gaming on it?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm having a specific issue with my monitor and I'm not sure what to call it (so I can search for it). It's 27" LG M2780D hooked up to a macbook air via thunderbolt. Setting the aspect ratio to "Just Scan" is the only option that works properly, otherwise the monitor zooms in just slightly about half an inch into the picture. For example, if I set the aspect ratio to either "Set by Program" or "16:9", the windows taskbar almost disappears outside the bounds of the monitor and the pixels get somewhat blurry (I assume because the image is being stretched out). This only becomes an issue if I want to play older games full-screen, then parts of the interface disappear outside of the monitor.

Is this a common occurrence with monitors? Does anyone know of a fix, or at least what to call it?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's assuming that an HDMI source is a made-for-TV one, I think. Go to the screen's OSD and look for scaling/overscan options, then turn them off.

One of the many reasons that using a TV as a monitor can be a pain.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

It's assuming that an HDMI source is a made-for-TV one, I think. Go to the screen's OSD and look for scaling/overscan options, then turn them off.

One of the many reasons that using a TV as a monitor can be a pain.

Yeah it is a pain. I got this semi-monitor as a replacement from LG when my actual monitor died. Overscan was exactly the word I was looking for so thanks, but unfortunately the menus don't seem to have an option for that. I might have to dig through some more to see if maybe this model has a secret menu.

Edit: Alternatively, is there a fix through the drivers control panel? I just have the Intel integrated card

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 3, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
In the Intel control panel, there's a "Monitor/TV settings" that might contain the right option. Also, throwing this out there, on my Panasonic TV, "overscan" isn't the name of the option - it's Aspect Control -> Screen format (Full (other options are H.Fill, Just, 4:3, and Zoom), then HD Size is set to Size 2 (of 2).

You would need to correct both the video card and the TV to make sure it's right. And if you don't have the Intel control panel, you'll need to download the newest HD Graphics drivers from Intel's website.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I found it in the control panel but it's completely manual, which means I have to adjust it bit by bit until it looks right. I'm probably off by a step or two and I can't figure it out since the resulting image is still blurry. I think I just to live with it, since the fix is more annoying than the problem.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
Building a PC to be used mainly for gaming, trying to decide between these two monitors. Is there really much of a difference other than the price? Not really sure what to look for here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cryogenic Jesus posted:

Building a PC to be used mainly for gaming, trying to decide between these two monitors. Is there really much of a difference other than the price? Not really sure what to look for here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288

I'm not super sure that the UltraSharps make all that great gaming monitors, since a prime refresh rate is not their concern. They're excellent in pretty much every other regard, though.

That said, Dell has that monitor for $20 less than Newegg at the moment, and regardless of where you get it, chances are high you'll get much better warranty service from Dell for the UltraSharp than from ASUS and its monitor. Dell's USharps are part of the business lineup so they get better support in my experience.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Rusty posted:

For these Korean monitors, I assume a Thunderbolt to dual dvi will work fine with the 2012 air using something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I guess it has to be USB powered as well, since that seems to be the only adapter I can find? Will I have any issues pushing it with the air if I'm not doing any gaming on it?

It will probably* work. The Air should have no problem doing that resolution sans gaming.

*It might not work, Apple's own Thunderbolt to Dual-Link DVI cable works for some people but has lots of problems, anything from flickering to outright not working, even with Apple displays.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am wanting to upgrade my 7 year old HP monitor for cheap. I found a Dell ST2421L for around $150. I don't need anything real special since coming from this old piece of crap anything will look like a huge upgrade, plus I would be able to run my PS3 through that one via HDMI. Do you all think I should jump on the deal or are there better alternatives in that price range?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

It will probably* work. The Air should have no problem doing that resolution sans gaming.

*It might not work, Apple's own Thunderbolt to Dual-Link DVI cable works for some people but has lots of problems, anything from flickering to outright not working, even with Apple displays.
Thanks, it looks like a bit of a gamble when you factor in the price of the adapter and the possibility of having issues with the monitor shipped from Korea. I may end up getting a 24" dell, but the 27" is still tempting.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I have an Acer GD235HZ, and for some reason, when I set the refresh rate to 120, my screen gets extremely blurry. I had this problem when I first got the monitor a while ago, and I don't remember how I fixed it. Can anyone help?

edit: Got it, I was using my old DVI cord instead of the new dual-link one (I recently moved and had to re-set up my computer).

johnny park fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 4, 2012

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Anyone have any thoughts on this brand Korean? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120958469239#ht_12356wt_1102

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

I looked at that one but the stand was a huge turnoff for me. Looked like to VESA mount it I'd have to take apart the bezel or be left with a knob from the old stand sitting there.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
I'm really considering one of the 27" Crossover monitors, but I'm a little worried about the single DVI input since most everybody but nVidia seems to have agreed to gradually switch over to DisplayPort. Is there any talk about how much longer video cards will be made with DVI ports?

I could spend the extra money to get a display with multiple inputs, but a few pages ago it was mentioned that this increased screen lag. How much worse is it really? The eBay listings show all the 27" Crossovers with 6ms response times, but I know that number's not usually reliable.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Does anyone here have one of those Korean monitors with HDMI/VGA? I'm wondering if the input lag makes it unusable to a light gamer like me. I would be using it 95% for media and normal computer stuff, but would also like to hook it up to an Xbox occasionally.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I just got a Matrix brand korean 27" and the mini display port to dual link converter or the monitor don't seem to be working. Has anyone else bought this brand of monitor with the intention of running it off a MBP? Thought it would work when I bought it but after much fiddling it's just staying powered off.

The power block says it takes a 240v but a sticker is on it that says "110v OK". Could that be an issue? I am in the US.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Marzzle posted:

I just got a Matrix brand korean 27" and the mini display port to dual link converter or the monitor don't seem to be working. Has anyone else bought this brand of monitor with the intention of running it off a MBP? Thought it would work when I bought it but after much fiddling it's just staying powered off.

The power block says it takes a 240v but a sticker is on it that says "110v OK". Could that be an issue? I am in the US.

That could be an issue, yes. The adapter could be outputting too little voltage because it is actually not OK with 110V.

Who did you buy from? I just ordered this same monitor.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Tedronai66 posted:

That could be an issue, yes. The adapter could be outputting too little voltage because it is actually not OK with 110V.

Who did you buy from? I just ordered this same monitor.

bigclothcraft. Specifically the adapter says "110V is acceptable". Running it on an Intel 3000 HD in a 2011 MBP through an apple displayport to dual link display adapter. I have been reading some things about how the apple adapter might not display out to even a cinema display so I ordered the monoprice adapter just to be sure. Super bummed :(

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I ordered from bigclothcraft and the adapter they provided works perfectly for both of my Matrix 27's. I think the issue here is the Displayport thinger.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

fookolt posted:

I ordered from bigclothcraft and the adapter they provided works perfectly for both of my Matrix 27's. I think the issue here is the Displayport thinger.

What are you running on the monitor? I agree about the converter. Hopefully the monoprice one works better. Has anyone else here used a Intel 3000 HD MBP on one of these monitors? If so what converter were you using?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

fookolt posted:

I'd be inclined to agree. as always: check cable from adapter, and if you can, check adapter. I don't have any experience with those things, sadly.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jwnin posted:

I just saw that the Dell U2713 is now available in the US for $800.

So I'm assuming this is not correct... based on nobody else mentioning it here or over at HardOCP or anywhere else apparently.

Really had my hopes up that they'd finally announced it, itching to order a new monitor.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MMD3 posted:

So I'm assuming this is not correct... based on nobody else mentioning it here or over at HardOCP or anywhere else apparently.

Really had my hopes up that they'd finally announced it, itching to order a new monitor.

Found in Dell's forums:

"Hi pkirby11,

In USA the release date for Dell U2713 monitor will be any time after 18th September 2012

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell."

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shmoogy posted:

My macbook air has the same HD3000 and runs it just fine-- but I needed to buy an active dual link DVI adapter ($60 from mono price). Occasionally when turning on the monitor I need to unplug and replug the adapter back in as the image is static-- but I've seen reports of that with the Apple adapter as well.

Tedronai66 posted:

I'd be inclined to agree. as always: check cable from adapter, and if you can, check adapter. I don't have any experience with those things, sadly.

Guy earlier in the thread. Maybe the apple displayport->dual link DVI is just a huge piece of poo poo.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Marzzle posted:

What are you running on the monitor? I agree about the converter. Hopefully the monoprice one works better. Has anyone else here used a Intel 3000 HD MBP on one of these monitors? If so what converter were you using?

I've got two Matrix monitors (Matrices?) running off an Radeon HD5450 card; both are on DVI-D. Good luck :ohdear:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mediaphage posted:

Found in Dell's forums:

"Hi pkirby11,

In USA the release date for Dell U2713 monitor will be any time after 18th September 2012

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell."

awesome, thanks for the heads-up!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

fookolt posted:

How long did BCC take to get back to you before shipping/getting tracking # in general? It's been a number of business days (nearly 4 now) with zero contact.

I'm just being impatient, I guess?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I figured this would be the best place to ask: What are the differences between the Ergotron Neo-flex and the LX arm? It looks like the only big difference is the cable management on the LX. Is there some big disadvantage to the Neo-flex that I'm missing?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Tedronai66 posted:

How long did BCC take to get back to you before shipping/getting tracking # in general? It's been a number of business days (nearly 4 now) with zero contact.

I'm just being impatient, I guess?

Like less than a day? Sorry to hear that, mate :(

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Something to note for all Australian goons, Dell is having a sale on U2412M today only (thursday), from $399 to $279 (30% off).

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I got my new Shimian 27" and boy-howdy is it awesome.

I went from an older 24" TN panel and the difference is night and day.

Quality is great, no bad or stuck pixels. There is a very slight blue tint but that was fixed by a minor change to the color settings. Since I'm not doing any design work I'm not concerned about getting it set up for perfect Adobe RGB or anything, but I really like how it looks. If I ever find myself with access to a calibration device I might have at it but I feel no pressing need to. There is backlight bleed in the corners, but it is only visible in very dark images.

Overall: Totally awesome!

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
So I got a call from Fedex about the Korean monitor I ordered, they left a voicemail and apparently they "need more information about what type of monitor this is" so that it can clear customs. Does this usually happen or did I just get screwed over and am going to have to pay taxes on this thing?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TheRevolution1 posted:

So I got a call from Fedex about the Korean monitor I ordered, they left a voicemail and apparently they "need more information about what type of monitor this is" so that it can clear customs. Does this usually happen or did I just get screwed over and am going to have to pay taxes on this thing?

United States? Maybe just tell them it's a 27" TV or something. I don't have much experience with getting poo poo through customs, sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just got wind of a pretty good deal on the Dell U2212HM. With coupons, it comes down to $188.10, down from $259. TFT Central review here.