Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Benly posted:

I was shopping for bedsheets on Amazon not too long ago and there were reviewers who took claims about threadcounts and weave types very seriously, offering up the (rather extensive) results of their own obsessive inspection of the sheets under discussion. I feel like someone like that, even if sleeping isn't their hobby, at least has blankets as a hobby.
Nah, there's a difference between a hobby and a weird, semiscientific spergtastic obsession. Japan has that weird work culture where you even dedicate your leisure time to team building and all that human being bullshit, so in a world where your relaxation belongs to your bosses, I can totally see sleeping as a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the lists of silly thing that irritate only me about Game Center CX: I hate it when they typo the address of the place they're visiting. That arcade isn't in Kamata Ward, it's three blocks over in Nishikamata! :argh:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

rdbbb posted:

I neglected to mention that the "director's cut" of GCCX In USA on the DVD isn't thaaat much of one. They did add segments like phoning Nakayama outside Fresno State (because he went there briefly), and quizzing Arino on show facts while on their road trip (they did this in Korea too), but I didn't catch anything added to the scenes from the broadcast version, which really baffles me considering how much they left out of the Wharf and LA visits. And of course Robocop is missing. But I'm still glad they made it, since it's a nice physical keepsake.

You're just disappointed that you're not featured more extensively.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Mister Chief posted:

Snap! Time for a Bobby Flay throwdown!

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

Ironically, there's an extra ten minutes of screaming girl.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

rdbbb posted:

The Tsuruoka stuff makes me wonder if him being relegated to a street performer wasn't a joke...

Did he get a proper goodbye? I checked the last episode of Season 8 (Mendel Palace) and there's no "I'm graduating" or "there will be a new AD next season" scene. Toujima introduces Nakayama in the next episode and Tsuruoka isn't in the staff credits.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Ironically, there's an extra ten minutes of screaming girl.

It's not fair (very little in life is) but screaming american girl makes for much better TV than respectfully subdued fan. rdbbb should have come in riding someone dressed as Yoshi. That would have gotten him some screen time.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Watching Battle Toads made me realize how badly I want to watch Arino play River City Ransom, although I guess he would probably play the Japanese version.

Actually has he ever play any of the Kunio-kun games? I remember playing the translated versions of the Soccer, Basketball and Hockey games on an old emulator and they were amazing. Especially how in the Hockey game the final game was against Canadians.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Watching Battle Toads made me realize how badly I want to watch Arino play River City Ransom, although I guess he would probably play the Japanese version.

Actually has he ever play any of the Kunio-kun games?

He played Downtown Special in a virtual console bonus episode, there's a link to it in the OP. The one that takes place in Feudal Japan.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

xamphear posted:

It's not fair (very little in life is) but screaming american girl makes for much better TV than respectfully subdued fan. rdbbb should have come in riding someone dressed as Yoshi. That would have gotten him some screen time.

If it got me on some relatively obscure foreign TV show hosted by one half of a Japanese comedy duo, I'd happily volunteer as rdbbb's Yoshi.

Then I'd have a chance to ask Abe to scold me.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

After hearing myself again I would've rather been taken out.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I love Arino, but is he considered an Insult comic in japan? He seems pretty quick to call out peoples shortcomings, and tends to enjoy loving with people (with hillarious results).

Also i'm gonna take a bath with the toaster if a new ep doesn't get subbed soon! On your heads SAGCX team!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Also i'm gonna take a bath with the toaster if a new ep doesn't get subbed soon! On your heads SAGCX team!

It's only been one week and good things come to those who wait.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Here is a non SA subbed GCCX video of the Kirby 20th Aniversary Special. It is not up to the quality of a SA subbed video, but is a sub to watch none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMcqFZIxzfo

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

A whole week!? Stop slacking off you slackers.

It's going to be scary once you guys are all caught up with the show and we're at a 1:1 ratio with Japan's release schedule. People are going to be frothing at the mouth.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I love Arino, but is he considered an Insult comic in japan? He seems pretty quick to call out peoples shortcomings, and tends to enjoy loving with people (with hillarious results).

I dunno how much Japanese comedy differs from western styles, but Arino is basically the funny man in his comedy duo so it's kinda his shtick to be uncouth.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
In the Museum event transcript, if that's accurate, I'm surprised how candid some of them are. Is this a television/media thing, or a east/west thing?

Abe comes right out and says Yamada "fails as a human being", not "we had some significant differences".

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Plus the DVDs are right around the corner and absolutely everyone should be buying them.

Seriously, well-produced and translated episodes of this show available in a legal format? This poo poo was unthinkable a couple of years ago, so people should totally be showing their appreciation.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
For those of you that aren't aware, a guy named SRKFunkDoc is running a charity event called Kings of Poverty. It's an event that starts with a Mystery Tournament, consisting of a lot of funky NES/SNES and other retro games. Afterwards, a speedrunning marathon will take place and the whole event's going to last for 30 hours or so. The charity associated with the event is RAINN, and all donations are going towards the organization.

The event has been going on for about an hour and a half or so, and next up in the Mystery tournament is a game you're all familiar with - Street Fighter 2010. It's not a complete playthrough, it's probably just through the first stage or so, but it'll be quite fun to watch.
edit: They have to complete Stage 3

If you're interested, check it out here: http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky
There's also a thread on SA here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504816

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I've brought this up before but it's just tsukkomi.

ETA: I didn't know the original "Retro Game Master" Trailer was still online. This is actually my first time seeing the whole thing!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 3, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Sometimes I think Arino became a comedian solely because it would still be socially acceptable to burn people when they do things that amuse him.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Actually Arino is/was supposed to be the "boke" of the duo, until his partner's natural idiocy shined through and Arino gradually became more of the "tsukkomi."

Related pics -- 19-year old Arino and Hamaguchi on their first television appearance, back when they were called Nameguchi.

ETA: vvv Because they thought it looked cool.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 3, 2012

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
So young... Hey zari-gani do you know why Yoiko uses that obscure/obsolete wi hiragana character? Is there a joke there or is it just cos.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Are fat people usually the butt end of jokes on Japanese TV or does GCCX just like ripping on them? I feel bad for Yuko sometimes and it seems they rip on Tami a lot too. Easy targets or what?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I really want to try some of that dried squid Arino is always eating. Theres a korean grocery down the street from here, does anyone know what that would be called in korean? Or just a place I could order it online?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stanos posted:

Are fat people usually the butt end of jokes on Japanese TV or does GCCX just like ripping on them? I feel bad for Yuko sometimes and it seems they rip on Tami a lot too. Easy targets or what?

It's the culture. It's more in the direction of women though than fat people.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meme Emulator posted:

I really want to try some of that dried squid Arino is always eating. Theres a korean grocery down the street from here, does anyone know what that would be called in korean? Or just a place I could order it online?

Well you'll know it when you see it, name be damned. I'm not a fan of dried cuttlefish myself but that's just me.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

zari-gani posted:

ETA: I didn't know the original "Retro Game Master" Trailer was still online. This is actually my first time seeing the whole thing!

I can't for the life of me remember where the video is, but there were a few people recording the episodes during the showing years ago when they tried and failed to get a US publisher. If you don't mind the redubbed voice (and he actually wasn't bad, a lot better than the one from the Kotaku-funded dub), it was a really professional localization.

The part of the scattered footage that sticks out to me is that all the video overlays were redone with English text, which leads me to believe they do have master-versions of the episodes still around the studio. I would kill to get my hands on them so I could sperg out and do English versions of all the overlays.

Stanos posted:

There's actually a Watanabe appearance in the episode I'm working on. I usually laugh at everything Arino says when doing subtitles, but that part was just pure :smith:.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

I can't for the life of me remember where the video is

Right here: http://vimeo.com/1244534

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Those beautiful, perfect overlays... :allears:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Stanos posted:

This is far from the only show where someone will get cut on for being fat and it's hilarious because often times the people they insult just have a little paunch or gut, nothing in America that you'd really consider "fat".

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The White Dragon posted:

Well you'll know it when you see it, name be damned. I'm not a fan of dried cuttlefish myself but that's just me.

Ive had squid and octopus prepared many different ways, im sure ill like it!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Got my US special DVD. It arrived sooner than expected. It'll take AnyDVD or modding my Wii into DVD playback to get the region-free thing happening.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I need some help with something. I'm trying to figure out what games are in the stack that Kan handed Arino at the end of episode 30 when Arino left for his child care leave. Some of them are easy to spot (Umihara Kawase, S.O.S.) but others are not so easy to identify. I've got some cropped screen caps to see if anyone can figure this out.

The one in the top two images is a Famicom game. It has a gray case that you can't see very well. The bottom one is a Super Famicom game. Looks like four characters in the title written in the yellow diamonds on the front of the box. The edges of the box are a really bright yellow.

So, anyone have any clue which games these are? Given that Umihara and S.O.S. appeared later on as challenges it seems likely that they were also used as challenges but I can't identify them off hand...

Edit: I don't know why it took so long for that picture to show up...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 3, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

Those beautiful, perfect overlays... :allears:

I just realised that Jenn Frank took that video and she used to work with Ray. Coincidence? Unlikely!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Actually Arino is/was supposed to be the "boke" of the duo, until his partner's natural idiocy shined through and Arino gradually became more of the "tsukkomi."

That's what I read on Wikipedia, but the few times I've seen them together, they seemed more like a couple of buddies ribbing each other and having fun rather than the usual dumb guy/smart guy routine manzai comics usually do. :v:

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

That's what I read on Wikipedia, but the few times I've seen them together, they seemed more like a couple of buddies ribbing each other and having fun rather than the usual dumb guy/smart guy routine manzai comics usually do. :v:

Yeah, they seem more like actual good friends than other duos and trios. It's really fun that way. I just wish Yoiko stuff was easier to find. You know, outside of the easy to find underwear balloon popping and crossdress strip janken.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The boxed one is Makamaka.

It's, uh... it's unique.

ETA: The Famicom is Hoshi o Miru Hito (Stargazers), a legendary crap game. Someone really needs to fix the grammar on the Wiki page.

Ah, I love a good GIS challenge. Interestingly enough they're both RPGs.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 3, 2012

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

What more do you really need to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tewratomeh posted:

What more do you really need to say?

How about "it's so buggy there's drama among the translators on whether or not taking them out would ruin the Maka Maka Experience"?