Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005

Realjones posted:

Are there any catches with Blocknews, like it is slower or something?

I've been paying $15 to powerusenet for unlimited, but it looks like I only download about 40 gigs a month. A 200 gb plan would save me about $10 a month. Any month I don't download at least 100gb I'm still saving something (I have never cleared 100gb/mth).

Supernews also has $100/yr, which is nearly half of what I'm currently paying. It doesn't make much sense to pay $15 to powerusenet anymore unless I am missing something that makes them worth the $15?

Astraweb recently started offering 1TB block plans for $50. I just moved to it from the $11/month plan I've had with them for years. It's the exact same plan as the Unlimited plan, though you actually get more connections if that's important to you. If you have a usage pattern that warrants a block plan it's the best deal I have found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Is there a good way to get Sickbeard to not check a subfolder of one of the folders it manages? It's not a big deal but the build-up of errors makes it harder to know when there's a legitimate error.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

neongrey posted:

Is there a good way to get Sickbeard to not check a subfolder of one of the folders it manages? It's not a big deal but the build-up of errors makes it harder to know when there's a legitimate error.

It'll ignore everything in a folder labelled Extras, precisely for this reason.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

vacuity posted:

Astraweb recently started offering 1TB block plans for $50. I just moved to it from the $11/month plan I've had with them for years. It's the exact same plan as the Unlimited plan, though you actually get more connections if that's important to you. If you have a usage pattern that warrants a block plan it's the best deal I have found.

Thanks. I think I'll definitely switch over to some sort of block plan. I don't think I even downloaded 1TB in all of 2011.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Read posted:

Ahhh, alright. The cross platform thing makes more sense to me than other explanations.
This is a really good article on the flaws in the XKCD password model:
http://www.troyhunt.com/2011/08/im-sorry-but-were-you-actually-trying.html

e:\/ \/ His point that password restrictions on particular sites can screw up that model was valid. Using the same password everywhere means that one compromise requires you to remember every site you used it. But anyway, I think password managers are the right way to go, so I might be allowing my own bias to make me like that article more. Like the author, I guess I've grown tired of "correct horse battery staple" being the pat answer to the thorny question of password management. Your point that his logic isn't consistent throughout is valid, now that I reread it.

bort fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 2, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bort posted:

This is a really good article on the flaws in the XKCD password model:
http://www.troyhunt.com/2011/08/im-sorry-but-were-you-actually-trying.html

That doesn't actually say there are any flaws in the XKCD model; he's just using that to get pageviews. The article just says "duplicating passwords is poor security, and I have 130 unique passwords I need to use on a regular basis (:jerkbag:), and it's not any easier for me to remember 130 different english phrases than it is to remember 130 different alphanumeric gibberish combinations."

So he basically starts out saying that the XKCD comic is creating misinformation. Then he says that it's no good as a concept because not all sites allow you to put in full sentences (which is a site problem, not a model problem). Then he qualifies that by saying that actually the model is fine and it's just that you shouldn't use the same password twice (which is not something discussed by the XKCD comic at all). Then he says that it must be impossible for any human to remember all the unique passwords they need to use on a daily basis regardless of format, and concludes by saying that the solution here is to use a password manager, which is completely tangential to the original "point" of his article. He also ignores the very likely scenario where someone normally keeps all their passwords in a manager, but has to regularly access two or three of them on public computers or other devices, and thus finds it much easier to remember "snapple orange screwdriver earplug" than iHfO.gh49tB+t4!nC44s?

Terrible article.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

That doesn't actually say there are any flaws in the XKCD model; he's just using that to get pageviews. The article just says "duplicating passwords is poor security, and I have 130 unique passwords I need to use on a regular basis (:jerkbag:), and it's not any easier for me to remember 130 different english phrases than it is to remember 130 different alphanumeric gibberish combinations."
I'm baffled by people who use so many passwords. I use unique passwords for online banking, email and Paypal, a complicated one for websites that hold my credit card details (which is less than five) and a short and simple one for everything else. Anything more seems like a hassle that isn't justified by the minimal damage that would be caused by losing a forum account or something.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My system is:

One long and never reused password for gmail.

One kinda long unique password for my work computer.

One long and unique password for lastpass.

Two factor authentication enabled on both gmail and lastpass.

It works pretty well, and there's only three passwords to remember.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I use blocknews as my sole Unenet account since I'm not that heavy a downloader. I've had absolutely no problems with it, I max out my connect speed, and I've often downloaded files well over a year old with no issues.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

mrmcd posted:

My system is:
three passwords to remember.

That's my system, too! :hfive:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why don't you just use Lastpass or something and have just one password to remember?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

FISHMANPET posted:

It'll ignore everything in a folder labelled Extras, precisely for this reason.

Beautiful, thanks.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Thermopyle posted:

Why don't you just use Lastpass or something and have just one password to remember?

You can't use lasspass for Windows AD Logins. If you lose your two-factor (Google Auth and Yubikey here), you can get around it by using your gmail\email. If you have the same two-factor on your gmail, you can still get around it via a phone call or a one time use password. (You have those safe somewhere right?) Three is not that odd.

I love lastpass, I have around 140 sites saved in it. Mostly piddly poo poo that doesn't matter and I use once year or less, but I don't have to reset them or have any others compromised if one goes down.

On topic:
I totally forgot I got a VIP account at DOGnzb way back in April. It's been set up as another SB provider since then. I have it set up as SB Index -> DOGnzb -> NZBMatrix.

Last month I had 48 snatched. 7 from NZBMatrix, 7 from DOGnzb and the rest from the SB Index. So it gets some use. I like having a variety of providers set up, so if there is a system outage or one goes down for good I'm not stuck.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
The password generator thread linked earlier is great and contains many viewpoints and counterpoints for lots of different methods. I suggest interested people read it and add their own comments there. Not because I care about it being off-topic, it's just a good thread.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Thauros posted:

I use blocknews as my sole Unenet account since I'm not that heavy a downloader. I've had absolutely no problems with it, I max out my connect speed, and I've often downloaded files well over a year old with no issues.

Similar story. Never let me down and support is light years ahead of astraweb. Also been seeing grumblings in other forums of astraweb loving up, slow speeds, etc etc.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SlipperyNipple posted:

Similar story. Never let me down and support is light years ahead of astraweb. Also been seeing grumblings in other forums of astraweb loving up, slow speeds, etc etc.

So did you actually use astraweb yourself? I don't know what you mean by support because I never had to contact them, but they maxed my connection everywhere I tried and had very few missing articles.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I know astraweb offers block accounts, but does anyone else offer them besides blocknews? Given my usage, a 1tb Astraweb with my 200gb blocknews account would last me easily 6 months, but I was wondering if I can get a giganews block. I use Newshosting unlimited now with a blocknews backup, just seeing if there's a more cost-effective option.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

NewsGroupDirect offers block plans.
Right now they have a sale. 500GB for $20.

It's Highwinds so there will be DMCA, but you'll be fine if you aren't into the type of stuff that usually attracts attention.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

NewsGroupDirect offers block plans.
Right now they have a sale. 500GB for $20.

It's Highwinds so there will be DMCA, but you'll be fine if you aren't into the type of stuff that usually attracts attention.

My current monthly is a Highwinds reseller anyway, but I've never noticed an issue. I've used 36GB of my 200GB Blocknews plan since 11/2010, and most of that has been testing connectivity issues with Newshosting. I've had Astraweb in the past, I'm just trying to spread out my providers and not have my primary/backup on the same backbone. I'll have to keep track this month and check my usage, but I'd be willing to bet that I'm under 50-60GB/month max.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Keito posted:

So did you actually use astraweb yourself? I don't know what you mean by support because I never had to contact them, but they maxed my connection everywhere I tried and had very few missing articles.

Yes i used them some years ago and they left me high and dry on a very simple issue over the weekend certainly not the end of the world but hey others can get it done on the weekends no reason astraweb cant with all of their subscribers they have. Plenty of complaints about them in various forums to but maybe that is because they have so many vocal users. I guess in the end just use what works best for you.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Updated Sickbeard this morning, and it's been constantly reading my HDDs since. The console says "Adding file size to all episodes in DB, please be patient" which is all well and good unless you have a few thousand shows in there. :psyduck:

Edit: Looks like they redid the UI a bit, as it looks cleaner. There's also a custom renaming option that I don't remember being in there, so that might help a few folks who were looking for more depth than the previous options gave them. Also, Sickbeard seems much more responsive overall than it did before. At times there could be a 10-20 second delay loading the home page, now it's super quick.

I'm running from source, by the way, not sure if this has made it into the stand alone exes.

EC fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 5, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Great Gougly Mougly 91 commits behind. I remember back in the good old days when every change got pushed to the alpha master, now it seems like he's doing actual releases, pushing out a bunch of changes every once and a while.

E: Lovely, it doesn't load anymore. Using telnet to look at a page results in a python traceback.
E2: And it works. It must not have started the UI until it finished updating the DB. I never even thought to look at console logs to see what was going on.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 5, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FISHMANPET posted:

Great Gougly Mougly 91 commits behind. I remember back in the good old days when every change got pushed to the alpha master, now it seems like he's doing actual releases, pushing out a bunch of changes every once and a while.

E: Lovely, it doesn't load anymore. Using telnet to look at a page results in a python traceback.
E2: And it works. It must not have started the UI until it finished updating the DB. I never even thought to look at console logs to see what was going on.

If you want to get every commit like the master branch used to, just move to the development branch.

And yes, when it does the db upgrade you'll think everything is broken, but it just takes a looong time to update the db with file sizes and while its doing that the web server isn't running.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

If you want to get every commit like the master branch used to, just move to the development branch.

And yes, when it does the db upgrade you'll think everything is broken, but it just takes a looong time to update the db with file sizes and while its doing that the web server isn't running.

It can break (Python quits since it cant open the file handle its looking for or something) if you've moved a file out of its location without deleting it from the database first. I ran into this earlier and had to manually delete the entries from the SQLite DB which was...not fun. I recommend people back up their database first.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thermopyle posted:

I like living on the edge, how do I do this? I assume I have to edit some git file/make some git command to change branches?

E: Found it:
http://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/source/browse/wiki/DevelopmentBranch.wiki?r=471

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is anyone else having trouble with two Daily comedy shows that air back-to-back?

Recently SB (win-alpha 496) sees releases and SAB downloads them, but the post-processing fails the and files just get dumped into \TV\ rather than \TV\(show name)\

SAB's history lines show a log with: "tvdb_error: There was an error with the XML retrieved from thetvdb.com: no element found: line 15447, column 0 First try emptying the cache folder at.. C:\SickBeard\cache\tvdb If this does not resolve the issue, please try again later."

I've now tried to remove and re-add these shows to SB, and it fails with "Unable to look up the show in D:\shares\TV\(show name) on TVDB, not using the NFO. Delete .nfo and add manually in the correct language."

I've emptied that cache, restarted SB, etc. Is this a TVDB error, a SB error, or mine? I've found posts saying that the XML file is too large for these shows and to use the ZIP instead. I am unsure of how to do this.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 6, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with two Daily comedy shows that air back-to-back?

Recently SB (win-alpha 496) sees releases and SAB downloads them, but the post-processing fails the and files just get dumped into \TV\ rather than \TV\(show name)\

SAB's history lines show a log with: "tvdb_error: There was an error with the XML retrieved from thetvdb.com: no element found: line 15447, column 0 First try emptying the cache folder at.. C:\SickBeard\cache\tvdb If this does not resolve the issue, please try again later."

I've now tried to remove and re-add these shows to SB, and it fails with "Unable to look up the show in D:\shares\TV\(show name) on TVDB, not using the NFO. Delete .nfo and add manually in the correct language."

I've emptied that cache, restarted SB, etc. Is this a TVDB error, a SB error, or mine?

TVDB. Wait a few hours/days/weeks and try to manually post-process them again.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Okay, thank you. Dumb question: How do I manually post-process them? Right, in SB > Main > Manual Post-processing

And how can I get these shows added back into SB since they won't currently? Just try again later, too?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 6, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Just try again later, too?

Yeah.

This is one of the reasons why someone with the time needs to make a "competitor" to the TVDB. More sources = less downtime for SB.

It really wouldn't be a huge job to just clone the TVDB metadata into a Django site and then start building out features from there.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you, Thermopyle. No other fancy workaround using ZIPs or XMLs or voodoo? I appreciate your help.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Thank you, Thermopyle. No other fancy workaround using ZIPs or XMLs or voodoo? I appreciate your help.

Nothing that's worth the hassle.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Good answer. I'll just make to and try to re-add the shows in hopes that they'll at least download episodes again.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I'm looking for a good VPN to always leave on (because I'm stupidly paranoid), and something that won't give me too significant of a slowdown with Usenet. I currently max out at about 2.5mb/s - does anyone have any suggestions or a solution they use themselves?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Anti_Social posted:

I'm looking for a good VPN to always leave on (because I'm stupidly paranoid), and something that won't give me too significant of a slowdown with Usenet. I currently max out at about 2.5mb/s - does anyone have any suggestions or a solution they use themselves?

I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ I'm in Az and if I use a overseas node I get about 10-12Mbps and if I use one near me I get about 12-15Mbps. This was just tested over Wifi so its a little faster usually if I'm plugged in. Torrentfreak did a run down on VPN services and from what I read this company is the best as far as privacy goes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anti_Social posted:

If you are paranoid maybe just use SSL?

e: thetvdb to shut down?

http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10858#p43125

"Well we moved because we lost our free hosting. To give you an idea of how much bandwidth this site uses, we average 220Mbit/sec right now, or roughtly 41 Terabytes of data a month. If we don't figure out how to monotize the site soon or get more donations it will most likely be shut down, as non of us admins have 500-1000$ laying around to put into it a month.

Scott will be posting more about that later."

kri kri fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 7, 2012

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

kri kri posted:

To give you an idea of how much bandwidth this site uses, we average 220Mbit/sec right now, or roughtly 41 Terabytes of data a month.
They even live in their own little world when it comes to math.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

tk posted:

They even live in their own little world when it comes to math.

Yeah, it seems a little off. I'm a bit tired so I may have calculated this wrong, but it seems like the actual figure should be:

60 * 60 * 24 * 30 = 2,592,000 seconds per month

220 * 1,048,576 / 8 = 28,835,840 bytes per second

28,835,840 * 2,592,000 = 74,742,497,280,000 bytes per month

1,099,511,627,776 bytes per terabyte

74,742,497,280,000 / 1,099,511,627,776 = ~67.98 terabytes per month

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Anti_Social posted:

This will be useful. I have heard good things about Ipredator but have no personal experience with them.
https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm sure some of you use Sickbeard to grab "disposable" shows, by which I mean shows you watch once and then never watch again. Do y'all have an automated way to delete these after watching (via XBMC or whatever)? Does Sickbeard revert the status for those eps to "wanted" or anything else when it refreshes the show?

For whatever reason I spent a bunch of time cleaning out old shows from my server and from Sickbeard, and noticed that I had probably 100-200gb of poo poo I'll never watch again. Crazy. Feels good to have a slimmed down SB database, even though I know it makes zero difference in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...! posted:

Yeah, it seems a little off. I'm a bit tired so I may have calculated this wrong, but it seems like the actual figure should be:

60 * 60 * 24 * 30 = 2,592,000 seconds per month

220 * 1,048,576 / 8 = 28,835,840 bytes per second

28,835,840 * 2,592,000 = 74,742,497,280,000 bytes per month

1,099,511,627,776 bytes per terabyte

74,742,497,280,000 / 1,099,511,627,776 = ~67.98 terabytes per month