Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
So long as they take their cues from TA Spring, I'll be pleased to see naval units. Once more all will hail me as Poseidon, King of the Ocean! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm not the biggest RTS fan in the world, but this whole project looks cool as gently caress.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I hope we get at least the enhanced orbital junk. I know turning this game into more of a space based thing would likely be hugely complex and messy, but the idea of far flung bases and installations on a whole collection of planetary bodies across a solar system is just AWESOME.

I just added :10bux: to my pledge. The projection (cool site everyone who uses kickstarter should check out) has been slowly dropping off, as their project diffuses across the internet, but there's still a length time to go. It's obviously going to reach their minimum goal, and I expect probably the first two stretch goals as well, and the third (assuming it's another 200k) is likely.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
There are a couple of new interviews by Jon Mavor out today, one at Shacknews and a 40 minute video interview w/ TotalBiscuit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDSh34VoPY

Nothing too exciting is revealed, but they do mention they are getting close to revealing some more of the stretch goals. The video has some good discussion about the client-server multiplayer as well as their emphasis on more unit types over faction differentiation.

The Kickstarter has just over 50k left to go, in large part because two more people have pledged at the $10,000 level in the last 48 hours.

vv By just having a competent graphics engine PA will be far better than TA Spring.

Thewittyname fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 28, 2012

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
TA spring was the best RTS I have ever played by a very long way. I don't think you can expect this to be as good as a game that has been developed over years by a very active community (think JA2 vs back in action). Supreme commander was just utter poo poo compared to spring. I don't think you can expect this to be as good as TA spring but hopefully it'll be better than supreme commander!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redreader posted:

TA spring was the best RTS I have ever played by a very long way. I don't think you can expect this to be as good as a game that has been developed over years by a very active community (think JA2 vs back in action). Supreme commander was just utter poo poo compared to spring. I don't think you can expect this to be as good as TA spring but hopefully it'll be better than supreme commander!

I think the difference is that unlike Supreme Commander, this isn't trying to be TA but with a new coat of paint. They're using TA as inspiration, but are going in a very different direction with it. It'll hopefully be different enough to not draw the "It's like Spring, but worse!" comparison.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
PA has reached its goal, with 15 days to go.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Thewittyname posted:

There are a couple of new interviews by Jon Mavor out today, one at Shacknews and a 40 minute video interview w/ TotalBiscuit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDSh34VoPY

Nothing too exciting is revealed, but they do mention they are getting close to revealing some more of the stretch goals. The video has some good discussion about the client-server multiplayer as well as their emphasis on more unit types over faction differentiation.

The Kickstarter has just over 50k left to go, in large part because two more people have pledged at the $10,000 level in the last 48 hours.

vv By just having a competent graphics engine PA will be far better than TA Spring.

That guy needs to learn to turn his loving phone off!

I love how they're saying they just want to get the game out ASAP rather than fannying around. The sooner I'm playing this, the better.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Well, I'll definitely be throwing my support behind this, as I'm a huge fan of the concept of inter-planetary strategy games (somebody remake Emperor of the Fading Suns already! :qq:).

Have they shown or told us what the "Progenitor" Commander for the $50 level will look like?

vvv See, that's why I ask, because I'd rather not be stuck with something so loving stupid... :colbert:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 30, 2012

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
No, but I'm still probably going to donate at that level anyway. Maybe it'll be a my little pony with rainbow lasers. That would be AWESOME.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If they add ships I really hope the TA battleships show up again. Throwing massive fleets of them against each other was a lot of fun.

Azzip posted:

No, but I'm still probably going to donate at that level anyway. Maybe it'll be a my little pony with rainbow lasers. That would be AWESOME.

As much as I love ponies, no please no.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Drone_Fragger posted:

gently caress balanced annihilation. They took AA and said "ah, well the problem here is that metal makers are too expensive so you can't just build millions of them" and promptly destroyed the careful expansion based balance that caydr had been working towards for years.

Yeah, uh, Caydr was the one who destroyed his own mod, at least according to him. Some time ago he claimed he deliberately left that unbalanced version with all the Weasel scout car spamming out to force people onto other mods.

Seems like we might be due for a new Spring thread. I'm totally not qualified to make one anymore. Who is?

Anyway, I'd love to hear what the next few stretch goals are going to be. I hope they announce them today. I saw an update on Facebook and was all excited till I realized it was just them changing their background image.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I'd like to donate to this, but I've been burned on space games lately. :ohdear:

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011

MaliciousOnion posted:

PA has reached its goal, with 15 days to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgSV2ddOYsI

:allears:

e: holy poo poo these guys are nerdy, I love it

WreckSov fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 31, 2012

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Well, Uber Entertainment just shared this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

Stretch goals, here we come! :hist101:

EDIT: Also, the Total Annihilation "Commander Pack" is only $3 today at GOG.com. The pack contains the original game as well as two expansion packs.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 31, 2012

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

Stretch goals, here we come!

:siren: Stretch Goal 3 announced :siren:

Motherfucking LAVA planets and CYBERTRON and ancient DEATH STARS

PA update posted:

Metal planets are wandering relics of wars long past, giant artificial battle stations that can be recycled or reactivated to bring a new level of destruction.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Haha wowwy loving poo poo this is one of the most promising games I've seen in a long time. Teams that are working on the game for reasons besides just "money lol" will unequivocally make a better game.

Making a Kickstarter account just to donate.

Slappy Moose fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 1, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011
I regret regretting for a moment buying into the almost-more-money-than-sense tier. Then death stars. Also adorable miniatures.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
We also now have concept art of the Progenitor Commander ($50+) and the Alpha Commander ($95+).

Additionally, the Kicktraq trend for PA looks to be stalling/plateauing, which - although it sounds bad - might actually be good news. With the current "$200,000-per-stretch-goal" trend, if they make it to 1.9 million we could get all five goals.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Hmm, they're also accepting funds through paypal at their site. I wonder if those funds are being considered and included in the kickstarter progress. I assume so, but don't know how to find any stats on the matter.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Teledahn posted:

Hmm, they're also accepting funds through paypal at their site. I wonder if those funds are being considered and included in the kickstarter progress. I assume so, but don't know how to find any stats on the matter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts#ArePaypDonaApplToTheKickFundGoal

It's not applied to Kickstarter, but it will get you the same game/etc.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I also found this, from the developers' account on KS:

On August 23, Uber Entertainment posted:

Everyone wants to know if the paypal money will count towards the stretch goals. Yes we will use that money if it makes a difference in reaching a goal. It's not going to show up here though as it would just be confusing.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Uber Entertainment, Kickstarter page, Q&A section posted:

Q: Will Paypal donations count towards stretch goals?

Yes! At the end of the campaign we will add funds from Paypal to the final amount to determine which goals we have met.

I never bothered to read the full page on kickstarter. Presumably paypal is a comparatively small source of funding, but any addition to the total potentially gets us more neat junk.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
$1.1M reached; we've got water planets.

Still no news on the next stretch goals though. Here's the thing from the kickstarter page (home page hasn't been updated yet)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope it hits the 1.5 million mark. The idea of having Death Stars in the game is just too awesome.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
No idea why people are excited about this, or how anyone is even considering discussing things like units, maps & balance when the only thing that's been released is a proof-of-concept video. I'm also confused at how $2,000,000 equals 'lava & metal planets'. I don't even know what means.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It means they can pay their staff for the extra time it takes to code in and test that feature and make sure it fits in properly with the rest of the game.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It is a little strange that they're asking for $200,000 to code in one new planet type. Entire games are made for much less than that kind of money.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Anything seems trivial when you couch it like that buddy. In the real world poo poo takes time and developers need to eat.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

It is a little strange that they're asking for $200,000 to code in one new planet type. Entire games are made for much less than that kind of money.

Did you know that mass effect could of been made for free if all the developers didn't get paid and worked out of their houses instead of in an office??

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Psycho Society posted:

I see someone's been hitting Steam Greenlight.

It sounds like 900k is already penny pinching for these guys. Maybe the actual planets wouldn't cost too much more to make, but they are also adding in a whole new set of units and gameplay mechanics to interact with the new planet types.

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

Looks good, especially with the planet-wide conflicts. Backers++

I hope they reach some of their stretch goals; it would be nice to have a bit of variety with the planet types.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

No idea why people are excited about this, or how anyone is even considering discussing things like units, maps & balance when the only thing that's been released is a proof-of-concept video. I'm also confused at how $2,000,000 equals 'lava & metal planets'. I don't even know what means.

What a weird post. Did you think about what you were reading, and do a little research to figure out why people were excited? Like, it's bizarre that you don't understand how money goal = they add this to the game. Did you read what they said on the Kickstarter page and look up what Total Annihilation was about?

It's like a robot wrote this post.

Psycho Society posted:

How on earth? They're not asking $200,000 so they can afford to add in a new planet type. They're offering a new planet type as an incentive for people to hit the goal. Good lord, do you think PBS is sending people $150 tote bags?

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 4, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

GigBuddy posted:

Looks good, especially with the planet-wide conflicts. Backers++

I hope they reach some of their stretch goals; it would be nice to have a bit of variety with the planet types.

I would think they'd release the stretch goals anyway, but perhaps as DLC at a later date instead of being in the core game.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Vertigus posted:

What a weird post. Did you think about what you were reading, and do a little research to figure out why people were excited? Like, it's bizarre that you don't understand how money goal = they add this to the game. Did you read what they said on the Kickstarter page and look up what Total Annihilation was about?

It's like a robot wrote this post.

It's bizarre because Uber has a dreadful track record. MNC was completely abandoned quite some time ago, with SMNC seemingly going the same way. Mostly because of some pretty awful design decisions, with their attempts at drumming up new players falling flat.

What I don't understand about these stretch goals... Whatever they're called... Is the rewards. I don't really know what a lava planet will add to the game. Or why anyone would be that excited that they're calling maps, planets. It doesn't really say how the game is going to be, other than it looks like players are going to be sharing a large amount of space during matches.

I mean, AoE2 is pretty humble in comparison, but it's still one of my favourite RTS games for reasons a lot more subtle than 'lol metal planets'.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 4, 2012

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

What I don't understand about these stretch goals... Whatever they're called... Is the rewards. I don't really know what a lava planet will add to the game. Or why anyone would be that excited that they're calling maps, planets.

That's because you never played TA. And also apparently have no imagination at all.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I mean, AoE2 is pretty humble in comparison, but it's still one of my favourite RTS games for reasons a lot more subtle than 'lol metal planets'.

I think the problem is that you haven't played Total Annihilation, so you think "lol metal planets" is some sort of random aesthetic gimmick.

Then again you could just read some words and understand exactly how metal planets will play into Planetary Annihilation, but I guess that's asking a lot.

And you're asking why we should be excited about how they're calling maps "planets"? Are you serious?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I don't think he realized that the game scales from a regular sized map to multiple planets and poo poo in a single game.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

TheLawinator posted:

I don't think he realized that the game scales from a regular sized map to multiple planets and poo poo in a single game.

All you have to do is watch the video, which at the very least shows you a planet, a moon, and an asteroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

In fairness, Uber's track record is pretty bad at this point and it took me a lot longer than it should have to talk myself into chipping in on this. But it can't possibly be as disappointing as Supreme Commander, right? I will keep telling myself this thing.

• Locked thread