Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LaserWash posted:

drat,

Ordered my kit on nb Tuesday. It's taken until now for them to pack it up. It will be shipped tonight.

Is that normal?

If you order stuff with the "everyday" shipping on either MoreBeer or Northern Brewer, they get to it when they get to it, which is anywhere from 1 to 4 business days.

My assumption is that this means the really cheap shipping arrangements are made in bulk, i.e. they send out a whole week's worth of orders on some day where they can ship for cheaper since they send out a boatload of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They may be assembling kits on the fly too, that would keep stuff like extract from getting old in low-selling kits.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah that's been my experience with MoreBeer. Last time I ordered something with free shipping it took over a week to go out. But whatever, you get what you pay for.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Docjowles posted:

But whatever, you get what you pay for.

If that's the reason, they should be more transparent about it. One of the other (non-brewing) vendors that I order from has a "Rush" surcharge that's a percentage of the total bill, like 10%-ish I think?

As I understand it, anything not in their Rush queue doesn't get worked on until the Rush queue is empty. This might sound like it sucks for the non-Rush customers, but what's really going on is that if you don't have a delivery deadline (like if you're buying stock ahead) you can save 10% off your order. I've never had the non-Rush turnaround go more than 2 weeks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Splizwarf posted:

If that's the reason, they should be more transparent about it. One of the other (non-brewing) vendors that I order from has a "Rush" surcharge that's a percentage of the total bill, like 10%-ish I think?

As I understand it, anything not in their Rush queue doesn't get worked on until the Rush queue is empty. This might sound like it sucks for the non-Rush customers, but what's really going on is that if you don't have a delivery deadline (like if you're buying stock ahead) you can save 10% off your order. I've never had the non-Rush turnaround go more than 2 weeks.

They are. It's listed on their shipping policies that there is a longer processing time for free or reduced shipping.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So in light of the great maple syrup heist from the news yesterday I am feeling like making a maple stout. What exactly is the best way to add maple? Can I just dump syrup into the boil, or would that ferment out and not leave the maple flavor behind?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

kitten smoothie posted:

So in light of the great maple syrup heist from the news yesterday I am feeling like making a maple stout. What exactly is the best way to add maple? Can I just dump syrup into the boil, or would that ferment out and not leave the maple flavor behind?

I'd not boil it, but use it in secondary. It's also notoriously fickle, look at fenugreek to boost "maple syrup" flavor.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
That was remarkably responsive.

The White House posted:

WHITE HOUSE HONEY PORTER
Ingredients

2 (3.3 lb) cans light unhopped malt extract
3/4 lb Munich Malt (cracked)
1 lb crystal 20 malt (cracked)
6 oz black malt (cracked)
3 oz chocolate malt (cracked)
1 lb White House Honey
10 HBUs bittering hops
1/2 oz Hallertaur Aroma hops
1 pkg Nottingham dry yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for bottling
Directions

In a 6 qt pot, add grains to 2.25 qts of 168˚ water. Mix well to bring temp down to 155˚. Steep on stovetop at 155˚ for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, bring 2 gallons of water to 165˚ in a 12 qt pot. Place strainer over, then pour and spoon all the grains and liquid in. Rinse with 2 gallons of 165˚ water. Let liquid drain through. Discard the grains and bring the liquid to a boil. Set aside.

Add the 2 cans of malt extract and honey into the pot. Stir well.

Boil for an hour. Add half of the bittering hops at the 15 minute mark, the other half at 30 minute mark, then the aroma hops at the 60 minute mark.

Set aside and let stand for 15 minutes.

Place 2 gallons of chilled water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons if necessary. Place into an ice bath to cool down to 70-80˚.

Activate dry yeast in 1 cup of sterilized water at 75-90˚ for fifteen minutes. Pitch yeast into the fermenter. Fill airlock halfway with water. Ferment at room temp (64-68˚) for 3-4 days.

Siphon over to a secondary glass fermenter for another 4-7 days.

To bottle, make a priming syrup on the stove with 1 cup sterile water and 3/4 cup priming sugar, bring to a boil for five minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 1-2 weeks at 75˚.

WHITE HOUSE HONEY ALE
Ingredients

2 (3.3 lb) cans light malt extract
1 lb light dried malt extract
12 oz crushed amber crystal malt
8 oz Bisquit Malt
1 lb White House Honey
1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings Hop Pellets
1 1/2 oz Fuggles Hop pellets
2 tsp gypsum
1 pkg Windsor dry ale yeast
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Directions

In an 12 qt pot, steep the grains in a hop bag in 1 1/2 gallons of sterile water at 155 degrees for half an hour. Remove the grains.

Add the 2 cans of the malt extract and the dried extract and bring to a boil.

For the first flavoring, add the 1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings and 2 tsp of gypsum. Boil for 45 minutes.

For the second flavoring, add the 1/2 oz Fuggles hop pellets at the last minute of the boil.

Add the honey and boil for 5 more minutes.

Add 2 gallons chilled sterile water into the primary fermenter and add the hot wort into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons. There is no need to strain.

Pitch yeast when wort temperature is between 70-80˚. Fill airlock halfway with water.
Ferment at 68-72˚ for about seven days.

Rack to a secondary fermenter after five days and ferment for 14 more days.

To bottle, dissolve the corn sugar into 2 pints of boiling water for 15 minutes.

Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 2 to 3 weeks at 75˚.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

icehewk posted:

That was remarkably responsive.

Well, I said elsewhere that I would brew it if the recipe was published, so I guess I am going to have to do it. Of course, I don't have access to the honey from the hive on the White House grounds, so I will have to make do with local honey.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got two batches that need to get brewed before I can do it but I think I will try one of those as well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The recipe for the honey ale calls for 1 1/2 oz. of Fuggles, but the instruction state to put in .5 oz. at knockout. What gives Mr. President? What are you hiding!?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Important question: what's the White House honey taste like? Big difference between clover and, say, tupelo. Usually the flavor that honey contributes isn't "honey flavored", it's whatever the main ingredient was, which is why clover mead just tastes like grass.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

Important question: what's the White House honey taste like? Big difference between clover and, say, tupelo. Usually the flavor that honey contributes isn't "honey flavored", it's whatever the main ingredient was, which is why clover mead just tastes like grass.

Well, at 1 pound in 5 gallons, it won't make much difference to the beer, really. There's a video of the process (including the word 'distill' for the secondary ferment) which shows the mason jars of the honey, and it appears to be fairly light in color. It's conceivable that it might be at least partly cherry blossom honey, given that it's DC and all that. Any light and mild honey should be fine; I will probably go with orange blossom honey, myself.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

BDawg posted:

Thanks for the responses, guys. I believe it's a commercial slim quarter.

These make for the best 5 gallon batch fermenter - they'll hold a whole batch plus headroom since they're 7.75 gallons, fit most places a regular corny keg will fit, aren't hard to clean with PBW and a carboy brush, and can be easily adapted for pressurized fermenting if that interests you. All you need is a drilled #11 stopper and a standard airlock and a couple screwdrivers to remove the spear the first time.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

If you order stuff with the "everyday" shipping on either MoreBeer or Northern Brewer, they get to it when they get to it, which is anywhere from 1 to 4 business days.

My assumption is that this means the really cheap shipping arrangements are made in bulk, i.e. they send out a whole week's worth of orders on some day where they can ship for cheaper since they send out a boatload of stuff.

Yeah, they dicked around until it got to be Friday afternoon to ship. Now UPS isn't going to work on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. 3 day shipping should have meant ordering Tuesday last week and getting it on Friday. It now means ordering Tuesday last week and getting it Thursday this coming week. :fap: :fap:

How's Austin Homebrew Supply? Ordered some stuff from them yesterday too.

On the plus side, I got my turkey fryer on Thursday night, assembled it and burned about 5 gallons of water off a boil for about 30 minutes. Now the pot has that nice brown color inside that you get once the coating chemicals on the aluminum pot wear off.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Just a PSA that if anyone is looking to use a commercial keg for anything and is trying to remove the spear make sure it's depressurized first. That poo poo will fly out of there if it's not depressurized and can really hurt you.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 2, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
So I don't understand anything about water/mash pH stuff.

My grains have been mashing at about 145* for about an hour and my pH hasn't moved from 6 since I started.

Is this good or bad?
I'm doing a Belgian triple, so it's about 10lb of two row and 2 lb of Munich. About 1.25 quarts of water per pound for the ratio. Suggestions? Info? Water Chemestry for dummies?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Is this good or bad?

I would say indifferent tending to slightly suboptimal. The range for ideal mash pH is 5.2 - 5.5. Your mash is a bit less acid than that, which means you may get slightly sub-par efficiency. It will still convert and it will still make beer, though.

I don't think you need to do anything for this batch, but you might consider acidifying your mash water a bit next time, using 5.2 salts, or building your water from RO water plus minerals to suit your aims for each batch.

Historically, areas with alkaline water tended to spawn styles with a fair amount of darkly roasted malts, perhaps the canonical example being Dublin and Guinness.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-2.html

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Get some "Super 5.2" or similar pH buffer and use that whenever you make light colored beers. You shouldn't need to use it on any stouts/porters due to the higher acidity of roasted malts.

In the case of your Belgian, I would have let it sit mashing for an extra half hour just in case the conversion was really slowed significantly. Probably everything went fine though.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea, we probably gave it an extra 45 to an hour since I was worried about conversion and don't have any iodine to check it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting some 5.2 buffer for when we do lighter stuff.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Question about the difference between base malts:

I'm updating and hoping to improve upon my previous go at a saison that I really liked, but was done with LME instead of all grain. In my new recipe I'd have 1 lb of Belgian Pilsner malt, and 12.2 lbs of Briess Pilsen malt.

For a 5-gallon batch, would I really notice a difference if I went with 100% Briess Pilsen? What about 100% Belgian Pilsner? -OR-, if I just went with what I already have and used Rahr 2-row for it all?

I haven't brewed enough to know what sort of difference I'd see in using the different base malts - I've only used the Rahr 2-row or extract and, while I'd like to replicate the results of the first time I brewed this beer, I'd also like to save money where I can and if I can utilize the Rahr 2-row and probably won't notice a difference that would be awesome.

Just looking for some general thoughts on what sorts of unique characteristics I'd be seeing from various light base malts, or if they're all basically the same.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

You can taste the difference for yourself - just pick up a few grains of each next time you are at the brew shop and chew them up. I have not tasted Breiss Pilsner malt, but the Belgian and German versions I have tasted have been so drat good I am not sure I would change.

In my experience, malts vary widely, and the best way to get the character you are looking for is to use malts as similar as you can to those used in the commercial examples of the style. In this case, my inclination would be to use all Belgian Pilsner, unless I could taste the malts head to head and decide that the Breiss was as good or better.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

You can taste the difference for yourself - just pick up a few grains of each next time you are at the brew shop and chew them up. I have not tasted Breiss Pilsner malt, but the Belgian and German versions I have tasted have been so drat good I am not sure I would change.

In my experience, malts vary widely, and the best way to get the character you are looking for is to use malts as similar as you can to those used in the commercial examples of the style. In this case, my inclination would be to use all Belgian Pilsner, unless I could taste the malts head to head and decide that the Breiss was as good or better.

Fair enough. If I'd gotten a response from someone like "well xxxx is more bitter and earthy and yyyy has a wheat and cereal flavor" then I'd probably concern myself with it more but I have a feeling that's not the case.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

wattershed posted:

Fair enough. If I'd gotten a response from someone like "well xxxx is more bitter and earthy and yyyy has a wheat and cereal flavor" then I'd probably concern myself with it more but I have a feeling that's not the case.

As a random side note based on an exchange we had months ago, the lady at White Labs told me that they they do in fact sell the vials directly at the yeast lab.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

As a random side note based on an exchange we had months ago, the lady at White Labs told me that they they do in fact sell the vials directly at the yeast lab.

That must be fairly new, and also great news if I'm trying to hunt down some obscure or Platinum series yeast. It makes sense with them now selling pints in their tasting room now instead of just tasters; definitely feeling more like a retail shop akin to the tasting rooms in regular breweries.

ziebarf
Jul 6, 2008
I made something truly awful last night. I call it a "Belgian Coffee Cider". Steeped some special b, chocolate, and pilsner malt and mixed it with apple and black currant cider. Broke into three different jugs, pitched a champagne, english, and brett culture separately. I am hoping for a jet black, malty, dry cider. The brett jug isn't fermenting today, but that yeast works in mysterious ways.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Just finished yeasting my first beer (porter). The instructions say the initial specific gravity should be about 1.043. I read mine as 1.034. Other than me taking a wrong reading, what does having a low initial specific gravity mean?

Also, the rubber stopper on my carboy keeps slipping out. How long do I have to worry about pushing it back in?

How do people stir in yeast in a carboy? None of my spoons were long or narrow enough. I ended up using a sanitized handle of a bottle cleaner then shook the carboy from side to side.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 4, 2012

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BDawg posted:

Just finished yeasting my first beer (porter). The instructions say the initial specific gravity should be about 1.043. I read mine as 1.034. Other than me taking a wrong reading, what does having a low initial specific gravity mean?

Also, the rubber stopper on my carboy keeps slipping out. How long do I have to worry about pushing it back in?

How do people stir in yeast in a carboy? None of my spoons were long or narrow enough. I ended up using a sanitized handle of a bottle cleaner then shook the carboy from side to side.

Low specific gravity means less sugar in the beer. Assuming you're doing extract that could mean you misread (which is fine), it could mean you didn't mix it thoroughly enough and there's a bunch of thicker syrup at the bottom (it'll mix in in time), or it could mean you used too little extract or two much water, which will just give you a weaker beer in the end. What temperature was it at when you did the measurement? It's only a few points difference if it's near fermentation temperature, but if it was still actually warm when you measured that makes more difference.

I can't speak on the carboy stopper, I've always done my main fermentation in buckets and used carboys for aging/settling.

I never bother with stirring yeast in, I just sprinkle/pour it in depending whether it's dry or liquid, and figure it will mix on its own. There's a lot of convective flow during fermentation and it's in there for weeks even if it wasn't so you don't really need to worry about stirring anything.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Killer robot posted:

Low specific gravity means less sugar in the beer. Assuming you're doing extract that could mean you misread (which is fine), it could mean you didn't mix it thoroughly enough and there's a bunch of thicker syrup at the bottom (it'll mix in in time), or it could mean you used too little extract or two much water, which will just give you a weaker beer in the end. What temperature was it at when you did the measurement? It's only a few points difference if it's near fermentation temperature, but if it was still actually warm when you measured that makes more difference.

My thermometer was being wonky, so I'm not sure. I waited until it was ok to touch and didn't feel hot. Then, I added tap water until I got to 5 gallons (3.5g). I have to believe it was around 80.

It was an extract brew. I didn't notice anything odd in my pot or collander other than hops.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 4, 2012

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

As you describe it, a low gravity reading probably means the topping water was not well mixed in. In other words, no issue. The temperature would be a small source of error, but no more than a point or two, at a guess.

It's going to be fine.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Jo3sh posted:

As you describe it, a low gravity reading probably means the topping water was not well mixed in. In other words, no issue. The temperature would be a small source of error, but no more than a point or two, at a guess.

It's going to be fine.

Thanks all for the hand holding. I've already stared fermenting, so I'm very excited.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

My friend has too many hops, so he invited me to come grab some. I got what looks like about three gallons of Cascade flowers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Did some brewing over the weekend. Was thinking of doing a Hair of the Dog Adam clone inspired by my recent trip to Portland that resulted in some trips to HOTD and consumption of more than a few bottles of Adam, but the recipe provided to The Homebrew Chef by Alan Sprints makes me scratch my head. Its a 10% ABV beer (with AFTW and CAFTW being 12% and 13% respectively) that has its OG around 1.094, but this recipe very clearly makes a 1.134 beer which is more like 13-14%. I'll figure this out and brew it one day, so instead I put together a Rye IPA (finally!) based on an IPA recipe I made for a new local brewery that turned out awesome and slightly inspired by SN Torpedo because thats practically my daily drinker IPA.
Brewday went pretty good and hit my targets, the smell is pretty fantastic and I look forward to the finished product!

code:
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG 
Actual OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated FG: 1.014 SG
Estimated ABV: 7.2 %
Estimated Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.051 SG
Bitterness: 72.5 IBUs (Rager)
Estimated Color: 7.9 SRM

Amt Name %/IBU
10.5lbs	Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 73.7 %
2lbs	Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 14.0 %
.5lbs	Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM) 3.5 %
.5lbs	Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 3.5 %
.5lbs	Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) 3.5 %
.25lbs	Table Sugar 3.5 %

.50oz	Chinook [12.20%] 90.0 min 27.2 IBUs
.50oz 	Citra [12.20%] 90.0 min 27.2 IBUs
1 oz 	Chinook [12.20%] 5.0 min 9.1 IBUs
1 oz 	Citra [12.20%] 5.0 min 9.1 IBUs
1.5oz 	Citra [12.20%] Hopback 0.0 IBUs
.50oz 	Chinook [12.20%] Hopback 0.0 IBUs

1 oz 	Chinook [12.20%] Dry Hop 14 Days
1 oz 	Citra [12.20%] Dry Hop 14 Days

Dennys Fav 50 Yeast (WY1450) 

Mashed at 149 for an hour, temperature stepped to 158 for 15 minutes then sparged.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

LaserWash posted:

How's Austin Homebrew Supply? Ordered some stuff from them yesterday too.

I ordered some hops and random minor equipment off Austin Homebrew Supply and it arrived within 4 days on their normal shipping in Washington state (I live up in BC, Canada). Was very satisfied with the shipping time and the quality of what I ordered.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JawKnee posted:

I ordered some hops and random minor equipment off Austin Homebrew Supply and it arrived within 4 days on their normal shipping in Washington state (I live up in BC, Canada). Was very satisfied with the shipping time and the quality of what I ordered.

Austin Homebrew has virtually the exact same shipping policies that Northern Brewer and MoreBeer have. If you order a product with the reduced price/free shipping, it will ship in 2-4 business days.

If you want something to ship faster, you have to pay for regular UPS shipping, in which case it goes out next business day at all of these places.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
That's weird.

I ordered on Saturday night (I presume they were closed), they were closed on Monday, and I got a message last night that says a shipping label had been printed. I live in the next town over (college station) so it shouldn't be that long until I get my stuff.

STILL waiting on my stuff to leave from Minnesota. Ugggggghhhh.

To make this beer related: anyone have a good place they go or extract recipe they use for a shiner bock clone that is warm fermented? I noticed people on ahs said that they were taking the Texas bock recipe and had success warm fermenting the lager yeast they used. I've been to Germany several times, loooooooooooooove the beer there, but shiner is still my favorite.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 4, 2012

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
What are people using for a thermometer? Optimally, I'd like one that I can leave in the pot for the boil and the cooldown. The $15 one I bought apparently wasn't very waterproof and that's why it was telling me my boiling water was over 350 degrees.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

LaserWash posted:

warm fermenting lager yeast
I'd say just find a bock recipe (nix one of NB's recipes from the kit pages) and use cali common yeast. But I highly dislike lagers and have yet to make one so take my advice with a grain of salt.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

BDawg posted:

What are people using for a thermometer? Optimally, I'd like one that I can leave in the pot for the boil and the cooldown. The $15 one I bought apparently wasn't very waterproof and that's why it was telling me my boiling water was over 350 degrees.

I have a probe thermometer with a remote that I got from a cooking store and it works great. It was about $40 but it was probably one of the best investments I've made so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BDawg posted:

Is that thermometer a remote probe thermometer (i.e. the probe is on the end of a cable)? If so, take the probe (not the main unit) and put it in a cold oven. Heat the oven to 350 and leave it there for 20 minutes. Let the probe cool down, and it will tell you the right temperature again. I've fixed several thermometer probes that way.