Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

starshine posted:

CravingSolace, have you tried swimming? It did a lot to ease my joint and nerve pain during the last trimester. I think you're right that the ER probably couldn't do anything additional for you - I'd probably call the OB/midwife. I had intense rib pain at one point and my midwife did some blood tests to make sure my liver function was OK because an enlarged liver could cause pain there, no idea if that's something your HP has mentioned to you. For the sciatica, my MIL swears by walking around backward. If things are desperate, give that a try? Sorry you're in so much pain, pregnancy does such lovely things to the body :(

Swimming helps with the upper back pain, but does nothing for the ribs or the sciatica. And unfortunately, I can't get to a pool right now. My apartment complex's pool is closed. :(

I actually tried giving my OB a ring, and the number the answering service gave is the wrong one. I woke up some poor woman in PA. I might call labor and delivery and see what they say. I'm exhausted and haven't been able to sleep more than an hour or two at a time because of the pain in over a week now. I'm desperate.

I'm going to try walking backwards now. It can't hurt to try, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
This is going to sound really dumb, and I was pretty tired of everyone asking me, "have you tried x?" (X= EVERYTHING I had already tried) But it can't hurt.

Have you started wearing a different type of pants or belt? Or are your pants fitting different now? I started wearing my toolbelt lower on my hips when it would bother my belly when I was working, and the pain in my sciatic nerve was KILLING ME. This went on for a week or two until I had a day where I didn't wear the belt and I wore different pants, it was like MAGIC.

If you have already looked at your wardrobe, I'm sorry, and I hope you find out what is bugging you.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Amykinz posted:

This is going to sound really dumb, and I was pretty tired of everyone asking me, "have you tried x?" (X= EVERYTHING I had already tried) But it can't hurt.

Have you started wearing a different type of pants or belt? Or are your pants fitting different now? I started wearing my toolbelt lower on my hips when it would bother my belly when I was working, and the pain in my sciatic nerve was KILLING ME. This went on for a week or two until I had a day where I didn't wear the belt and I wore different pants, it was like MAGIC.

If you have already looked at your wardrobe, I'm sorry, and I hope you find out what is bugging you.

That doesn't sound dumb at all. And at this point, I'd take anything/everything into consideration.

Unfortunately at this point, all I wear is yoga pants and sun dresses (it's been too hot in AZ to wear anything else, really).

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Well, I wound up going to the ER. I couldn't take it anymore.

I told the nurse that I've been complaining to my OB about the rib pain, but he's been dismissing it as 'that's pregnancy for you'. And while that may be true, I need some way to be comfortable. I'm exhausted and in excruciating pain.

The nurse said that it may very well have nothing to do with my pregnancy at all, and to not feel bad for coming in. They checked my urine and that came back fine. They monitored the baby for a little bit, and he was doing great. The doctor listened to my lungs (all clear) and felt around my ribs and where the pain was. She said it sounded like my ribs are inflamed. It's not due to the pregnancy. It's actually what the other poster mentioned earlier.

She said that normally, steroids and anti-inflammatory drugs would work wonders but because I'm pregnant, those are out of the question. So, she actually showed my husband how to give me an accupressure massage. I did feel better afterwards, and thank God she showed my husband how to do it. She said Tylenol is still good to take and to keep up with the heating pad and hot showers. She asked if I wanted something to make me comfortable tonight and to help me sleep, because the less sleep I have, the lower my pain tolerance will be. I agreed and she gave me flexoril. She said that it wouldn't harm the baby and was safe to take this once.

I'm home now and finally feeling some relief. I'm so thankful, I could cry. I think I may actually be able to sleep tonight. I'm so, so happy and grateful to that doctor for listening to me and actually helping me instead of telling me, 'you're pregnant, suck it up'.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
CravingSolace, I'm glad to hear you found someone who was actually paying attention and could help! I hope sleep is happening for you.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Well I've been trying this for a couple days now. There's one evening nap where I just can not wake him up for anything. If you name it, I've tried it. So he ends up sleeping for 3 or more hours at around 5pm. At night he doesn't sleep AT ALL. He's up the whole time either hungry, burping, or dealing with intestinal gas/pooping. He does not have these problems in the day. He goes down to nap totally fine and sleeps solid. We try to keep him stimulated at night for a few hours before bed. His bath is at night and we use the night time lavender stuff. I'm going crazy.

He probably has his days/nights mixed up and it's completely normal. During the day keep lights on. Keep him stimulated. At night lights off and when you feed him, calm him, etc use low soothing voices and don't do too much to stimulate him if you don't have to (ie don't "play" or use baby talk since we tend to speak in higher pitches with baby talk).

It'll take time and patience to get him on a proper day/night schedule. My son's just now getting his poo poo sorted out and he's almost 6 weeks. Also keep in mind newborns sleep something like 16 of 24 hours in a day. What do you mean by a nap? Do you mean he's out solid for hours at a time and then up for hours at a time?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I read once that the reason newborns mix up night and day is because when they're in the womb, you're generally up and active and walking during the day which rocks them to sleep, but at night, when you're laying down and sleeping they think it's party time. I remember my kid being most active between 8pm and midnight when I was pregnant which coincided with when we would chill out and watch tv at night. It takes a few weeks after they're born to reverse that.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

CravingSolace, I'm glad to hear you found someone who was actually paying attention and could help! I hope sleep is happening for you.

I got about five or six hours of good, deep, uninterrupted sleep. I was so happy and thankful when I woke up this morning. Even if I'm not able to sleep like that again for the remainder of this pregnancy, I really needed that good night's sleep. I feel so much better this morning. The rib pain is still there, as is the back pain, but it's more tolerable and don't feel as miserable about it. I took tylenol when I got up and I'm keeping heat on it. The doctor also said that a brisk walk could help, because when the body is in pain it builds up adrenaline. Releasing that adrenaline helps with the pain and getting some good sleep.

So I think I'll be sure to take a walk later on, and then get a massage from the hubby later. :)

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Colton posted:

I have another question about max. Any suggestions?

The breast feeding class we went to said to pat them on their feet. Not tickle them because that will make them scared and stop nursing. They also said that dad (me) should keep them awake and excited while mom is getting ready to nurse so that they'll be alert when mom is actually ready for them.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
Nope, patting his feet isn't helping. How old should he be when he stays up to eat? Three months?

And to the goonnette with the rib pain. My wife was in the same boat and some nights the only thing that helped her sleep was muscle relaxers. Safe for the baby. How did your ribs end up inflamed? Allergic reaction?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Colton posted:

Nope, patting his feet isn't helping. How old should he be when he stays up to eat? Three months?

And to the goonnette with the rib pain. My wife was in the same boat and some nights the only thing that helped her sleep was muscle relaxers. Safe for the baby. How did your ribs end up inflamed? Allergic reaction?

They said that with the illness (costo-something. It was mentioned I think a page back), there isn't any real known cause. Sometimes it's due to having an upper respiratory infection. I haven't been sick this year though (knock on wood), so I'm wondering if the lupus could be part of the reason. It causes inflammation in pretty much anything. Also, while it's not pregnancy-related, having this baby boy's butt constantly pressing against it makes it harder to heal.

The nurse said that it was safe to take muscle relaxants like flexoril occasionally, and just not to make it a habit. Which is really no issue for me. I have about four weeks left of this pregnancy and then I can start taking anti-inflammatories if I need to. I'm just going to rely on the massage techniques she taught my husband and will take sleep-aids if I need to.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

CravingSolace posted:

They said that with the illness (costo-something. It was mentioned I think a page back), there isn't any real known cause. Sometimes it's due to having an upper respiratory infection. I haven't been sick this year though (knock on wood), so I'm wondering if the lupus could be part of the reason. It causes inflammation in pretty much anything. Also, while it's not pregnancy-related, having this baby boy's butt constantly pressing against it makes it harder to heal.

The nurse said that it was safe to take muscle relaxants like flexoril occasionally, and just not to make it a habit. Which is really no issue for me. I have about four weeks left of this pregnancy and then I can start taking anti-inflammatories if I need to. I'm just going to rely on the massage techniques she taught my husband and will take sleep-aids if I need to.

Costochondritis is awful :( I'm glad you've gotten some relief.

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer

Colton posted:

Toby is like that, he falls asleep about 5 minutes into a feeding and is nearly impossible to wake up. I watch his face and when he starts getting sleepy I pull my nipple out slowly, he sucks harder to keep it in and it wakes him up a little. The trick is to do it before he's TOO sleepy and doesn't really care anymore and I have to do it over and over throughout the feeding but it seems to help.

I've also trained the dog to lick the bottom of his feet, that seems to do the trick.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Schweig und tanze posted:

Costochondritis is awful :( I'm glad you've gotten some relief.

Dear God, me too. I almost cried when the doctor assured me that it had nothing to do with the pregnancy. One, because that means the baby is fine and two, because that means it's not all in my head and just me being overly emotional and a wimp. I felt so guilty even going last night because in my mind, unless I fear there's something wrong with the baby I should just suck it up and deal with it. I've dealt with awful lupus flares, so I should have been able to deal with this. I just couldn't.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

bamzilla posted:

He probably has his days/nights mixed up and it's completely normal. During the day keep lights on. Keep him stimulated. At night lights off and when you feed him, calm him, etc use low soothing voices and don't do too much to stimulate him if you don't have to (ie don't "play" or use baby talk since we tend to speak in higher pitches with baby talk).

It'll take time and patience to get him on a proper day/night schedule. My son's just now getting his poo poo sorted out and he's almost 6 weeks. Also keep in mind newborns sleep something like 16 of 24 hours in a day. What do you mean by a nap? Do you mean he's out solid for hours at a time and then up for hours at a time?

I do everything I can to separate day and night hours. Lights are on, there's tons of talking, music or tv is on and I sing to him. We dance around and do tummy time. At night the lights are off or low, I play soft music, we do bath time and I try to get him to eat and fall asleep.

By "naps" I mean the times he should be sleeping less and being more awake between them, which should be during the day. Instead he has a block of time in the afternoon where he sleeps for 5ish hours with a sleepy feeding in between. That should ideally be at night when I'd like to get my sleep. I'm up the whole night feeding, burping, rocking to sleep, listening to him struggle with his intestines, changing him when he finally poops, then starting the cycle over again.

I think the problem might be the pooping thing. He doesn't struggle for as long, or as much during the day, and his sleeping is super solid as well. Maybe the struggling every 2 minutes for half an hour is keeping him up. Also he always has trouble getting one last burp out at night, and I never know until he's wiggling around grunting in bed.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
This may sound silly, but instead of (or in the middle of) that sleepy feed, have you tried taking him into a different room or outside? Sometimes the change of scenery would snap Kosta into being more alert without freaking out over it.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Ben Davis posted:

This may sound silly, but instead of (or in the middle of) that sleepy feed, have you tried taking him into a different room or outside? Sometimes the change of scenery would snap Kosta into being more alert without freaking out over it.

Tried all that. The wife has even fed him on the bus, at parks, in all rooms of the apartment... nothing works. If we let him sleep he wakes up 10 minutes later and eats, but my wife has better things to do than breastfeed for 2 hours. She already complains about having to spend most of the day topless

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Colton posted:

Tried all that. The wife has even fed him on the bus, at parks, in all rooms of the apartment... nothing works. If we let him sleep he wakes up 10 minutes later and eats, but my wife has better things to do than breastfeed for 2 hours. She already complains about having to spend most of the day topless

She has better things to do than feed her kid? Uh...ok. Maybe you want to talk to her about that.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Question about the Strep B Test:

My OB said he does it when I'm 36 weeks. I see him tomorrow, and I'll be 35 weeks, 5 days. The next time he'll see me after that, I'll be full-term at 37 weeks. Do you think he'll do it tomorrow, or should I request that he does? While I don't think this baby will be here before 38 or 40 weeks, you never know.

Also, is the test uncomfortable? I'm not sure how it's done.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

CravingSolace posted:

Question about the Strep B Test:

My OB said he does it when I'm 36 weeks. I see him tomorrow, and I'll be 35 weeks, 5 days. The next time he'll see me after that, I'll be full-term at 37 weeks. Do you think he'll do it tomorrow, or should I request that he does? While I don't think this baby will be here before 38 or 40 weeks, you never know.

Also, is the test uncomfortable? I'm not sure how it's done.

They swab your vag. It didn't hurt me but it wasn't the most pleasant experience ever because I'm not into that.

I don't think it has to be strictly at 36 weeks. If you go into labor before you've had it done, the hospital usually just assumes you are GBS+ and gives you the antibiotics every 4 hours.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Schweig und tanze posted:

She has better things to do than feed her kid? Uh...ok. Maybe you want to talk to her about that.

Breastfeeding isn't supposed to take 2+ hours, dude

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Colton posted:

Sometimes it does. You've just got to roll with it, or bottle feed. Last night my son was on my boob from 5am-11am, with breaks to burp, poop, and trying to put him to bed. He emptied 3.5 boobs.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

Colton posted:

It can, though. It's not outside the realm of normal. Breastfeeding can take quite a bit of time, especially in the early months and around growth spurts.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ugh just had a mini scare. I woke up to pee and passes a dime sized clot. Freaked out. Did a little googling and called the ob. I felt a little bad because its 3:30am but I'm 29 weeks. She said its not an er visit type of situation but I need to call first thing to set up an appointment to get in this week. I don't have any contractions or anything else and the baby just moved a little but I don't know if I can fall back asleep. My family is visiting so I've been doing a lot more physically than usual and my husband and I had a quickie earlier so I'm hoping its nothing.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Colton posted:

Sounds like you guys need to speak to a lactation consultant or La Leche League because that doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility. Maybe you need to adjust your expectations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Alterian posted:

Ugh just had a mini scare. I woke up to pee and passes a dime sized clot. Freaked out. Did a little googling and called the ob. I felt a little bad because its 3:30am but I'm 29 weeks. She said its not an er visit type of situation but I need to call first thing to set up an appointment to get in this week. I don't have any contractions or anything else and the baby just moved a little but I don't know if I can fall back asleep. My family is visiting so I've been doing a lot more physically than usual and my husband and I had a quickie earlier so I'm hoping its nothing.

I would bet on the quickie. If the doc had been worried at ALL, they would've sent you. Ask me about having sex at 7 months and then a day later not being able to tell if I passed semen or my mucus plug and getting sent to the hospital over it >_<

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Im hoping that's what it is. I haven't had any bleeding at all this pregnancy so it was pretty scary. In other news the baby room is almost complete and we have a crib in it. All that's left to do is paint a windowsill, a doors frame, the main and closet doors and put shelving in the closet.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Colton posted:

Oh no? Tell me more about breastfeeding a newborn, new father. :allears:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Chickalicious posted:

Oh no? Tell me more about breastfeeding a newborn, new father. :allears:

Oh, come on. It is frustrating to feel like you always, always have this little new person hanging off your boobs, and it's understandable to think "this is crazy, it can't be normal."

I mean, sadly, it is normal for some babies, but I don't see the point in giving new parents a hard time for being frustrated and surprised.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Oh, come on. It is frustrating to feel like you always, always have this little new person hanging off your boobs, and it's understandable to think "this is crazy, it can't be normal."

I mean, sadly, it is normal for some babies, but I don't see the point in giving new parents a hard time for being frustrated and surprised.

Yes, I know that, as I had my own boob monster at that age, but insisting it isn't normal is crazy and frankly condescending coming from a new father. It's normal for a lot of people. It's also normal for some kids to eat for 15 minutes every 3 hours. There's a wide range of "normal" and that varies even within one kid over time.

Edit: Is the baby gaining weight as expected? Having 8-12 wet diapers a day? Pooping mustardy seedy poop once in a while (this also varies from many times a day to once every 10-ish days)? Then this is probably normal for your kid.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 4, 2012

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Alterian posted:

If your OB isn't too concerned then I wouldn't worry about it (although I'm sure you will, anyway). It's possible you aggravated something during sex. At my birthing class they warned that that could happen sometimes.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Hey everybody, my wife and I have finally decided that we feel confident enough in our relationship, knowledge/skills, and finances that we can start trying to get pregnant for the first time, so I'll probably be lurking and sometimes posting here over the next year or few.

I did a quick search and didn't see anything (aside from some Canadian posts, I'm in the states) in the first 10 pages about this, but I've heard there are sometimes studies and programs which essentially pay for the whole pregnancy or portions of it if you participate in them. While we have enough funds to do it ourselves, we certainly wouldn't complain about putting all that money toward an education fund for the kid instead, so I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with these things or knows of any of them I could look into for more information. A cursory google search nets me more news articles about surrogates in India than information I can use.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I saw my OB today. Thankfully, it wasn't my regular OB, but the female doctor I adore. She was personable and friendly and greeted me with a hug. I told her about my trip to the ER and the diagnosis, and she thinks that my lupus probably played a part in the inflammation. She asked if I wanted anything for the pain, such as Tylenol with codeine. I told her that unfortunately, I'm allergic to codeine, but I appreciated the offer. It's more than my normal OB ever did.

She gave me a prescription for Ambien instead. It's a script for 15 pills and she said that while it's a class C drug, they prescribe it to pregnant women often and at 36 weeks I should be okay. She said it's important that I get some sleep and to also keep up with the recommendations the ER doctor gave me. My husband will be home tonight so he can keep an eye on me. I told him if I act strange after taking the pill, to tell me and I'll know not to take it again. I've heard of people doing weird things while on it.

I also had my Strep B test today.

I did not realize they swabbed your butt. It was not the way I planned to start my morning, lol. But it was quick and not too awful. I'll be seeing my OB weekly now, and she said that everything is looking great and she doesn't think he'll come early. My non-stress test this afternoon went really well, too. So, all in all, things are looking great. :)

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

pwnyXpress posted:

Hey everybody, my wife and I have finally decided that we feel confident enough in our relationship, knowledge/skills, and finances that we can start trying to get pregnant for the first time, so I'll probably be lurking and sometimes posting here over the next year or few.

I did a quick search and didn't see anything (aside from some Canadian posts, I'm in the states) in the first 10 pages about this, but I've heard there are sometimes studies and programs which essentially pay for the whole pregnancy or portions of it if you participate in them. While we have enough funds to do it ourselves, we certainly wouldn't complain about putting all that money toward an education fund for the kid instead, so I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with these things or knows of any of them I could look into for more information. A cursory google search nets me more news articles about surrogates in India than information I can use.

I haven't heard of any programs like that. I'm covered by TRICARE though, and they pay for everything during my pregnancy. Perhaps an OB would know of programs like that?

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

Is the baby gaining weight as expected? Having 8-12 wet diapers a day? Pooping mustardy seedy poop once in a while (this also varies from many times a day to once every 10-ish days)? Then this is probably normal for your kid.

no, actually, max didn't gain any weight last week, which is why I was asking the question and why I'm assuming that he sleeps too muc when he eats. if he's feeding for 2 hours every time and not gaining weight, then obviously something's wrong.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Colton posted:

no, actually, max didn't gain any weight last week, which is why I was asking the question and why I'm assuming that he sleeps too muc when he eats. if he's feeding for 2 hours every time and not gaining weight, then obviously something's wrong.

Has your wife seen a lactation consultant? My son didn't gain anything the first 2 weeks out of the hospital and he had tongue tie. It's fixed now and he's gained 3lbs since. Could also be a supply issue. Either way, she should see an LCor find a breastfeeding support group if she wants to maintain a healthy nursing relationship.

Supplementing can cause your supply to tank no matter how short a period you do it for if you're not still breastfeeding on demand. While we were waiting for my son's tongue snip I had to pump and nurse and I supplemented and I'm still having to do so because for some reason I'm just not catching up.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 4, 2012

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Colton posted:

Why did your wife stop supplementing if he's not gaining weight? She needs to see the doctor and probably start supplementing again. She can do things to increase her supply. https://www.kellymom.com is a good resource. In my experience, it isn't normal for 2 month olds to still be that sleepy when they're nursing.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

In my experience, it isn't normal for 2 month olds to still be that sleepy when they're nursing.

Agreeing with this. My son's 6 weeks and not a sleepy nurser.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.

CravingSolace posted:

I saw my OB today. Thankfully, it wasn't my regular OB, but the female doctor I adore.

Is there any way you can ditch your "regular" OB? He sounds like kind of a dick, and I'm irritated on your behalf reading about how he's been treating you. I don't know how your practice works or if you can request to have this female doctor deliver the baby, but it might be worth an ask.

Re: breastfeeding a newborn, it was very tough for us. We dealt with low/no weight gain in the beginning, and I wasn't able to tell the difference between nutritive and non-nutritive sucking. Pumping saved me, but that's maybe a bit controversial (nipple confusion and all that). Please see an LC; they really help.

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

The Young Marge posted:

Is there any way you can ditch your "regular" OB? He sounds like kind of a dick, and I'm irritated on your behalf reading about how he's been treating you. I don't know how your practice works or if you can request to have this female doctor deliver the baby, but it might be worth an ask.

Re: breastfeeding a newborn, it was very tough for us. We dealt with low/no weight gain in the beginning, and I wasn't able to tell the difference between nutritive and non-nutritive sucking. Pumping saved me, but that's maybe a bit controversial (nipple confusion and all that). Please see an LC; they really help.

From what I understand, she's at the hospital more often than he is and would probably end up delivering the baby anyway. But I'm going to ask if I can switch to her at my appointment next week.