Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Sorry, stuff like sockets and the like I'd definitely take back, no excuse for something simple like that to break. Anything more complex than a breaker bar, maybe a ratchet, and I consider most of what HF sells to be "good enough". Power tools, air tools, electrical stuff, etc. is where The cheapness starts to become evident, and the closest HF to me is at least an hour and a half away. I'll spend the extra cash on a better built, major manufacturer warrantied piece if it's something important enough to replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

PitViper posted:

Sorry, stuff like sockets and the like I'd definitely take back, no excuse for something simple like that to break. Anything more complex than a breaker bar, maybe a ratchet, and I consider most of what HF sells to be "good enough". Power tools, air tools, electrical stuff, etc. is where The cheapness starts to become evident, and the closest HF to me is at least an hour and a half away. I'll spend the extra cash on a better built, major manufacturer warrantied piece if it's something important enough to replace.

..which brings us back to, do we need to force feed them what they warranted, or blow up their phone and demand a replacement? If they start making us ship it back and doing a free/at-cost cross ship, those 40 piece sets under every sub-$3,000 drivers' seat is no longer worth it. Neither is anything else that we pray we don't need to use. That's the majority of their business, if I'm not mistaken.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Viggen posted:

..which brings us back to, do we need to force feed them what they warranted, or blow up their phone and demand a replacement?

Gonna bet that you got a dickhole GM who was recently leaned on about his numbers or some similar jackassery-trigger. Nobody I know has ever gotten poo poo like that at Harbor Freight. Our local stores are absolutely-no-questions-asked for warranty replacements. I got a replacement torque wrench a couple weeks ago for one I bought in 2001. As you said, "lifetime" is a pretty ironclad concept.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is the harbor freight torque wrench worth picking up? Seeing as they like to put it on sale for 20 bucks constantly.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

veedubfreak posted:

Is the harbor freight torque wrench worth picking up? Seeing as they like to put it on sale for 20 bucks constantly.
Yes. They're consistently found to be pretty accurate when tested.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

veedubfreak posted:

http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-Harbor-Freight-Coupon-Thread

Keep an eye on this thread - every known active coupon for HF products is listed in the wiki below the OP, and the folks there are quite helpful in helping you find a coupon for what you need. I got my torque wrench last month for $9.99, as well as their nicer Earthquake 1/2" impact wrench for $75.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Radbot posted:

Keep an eye on this thread - every known active coupon for HF products is listed in the wiki below the OP, and the folks there are quite helpful in helping you find a coupon for what you need. I got my torque wrench last month for $9.99, as well as their nicer Earthquake 1/2" impact wrench for $75.

I get Haggerty's magazine and I got the 1/2 torque wrench and used the 20% coupon for the Earthquake 1/2" impact. I like the gun (and I got an 18 month warranty for 15 bucks)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah, it's a nice rattle gun for the price. I paired it with their 10 gallon, oiled compressor and it's worked well for me so far - the CFMs aren't great but have been more than sufficient for the tough bolts I've encountered so far replacing my front end suspension.

Does anyone have any experience using any of HF's HVLP paint guns? I've heard there are a few SKUs that are crap, and a few that are passable. On that note - is there a consensus on acrylic vs. urethane paints considering that absolute quality isn't as important as value for me (painting an '86 Tercel wagon)?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Radbot posted:

Yeah, it's a nice rattle gun for the price. I paired it with their 10 gallon, oiled compressor and it's worked well for me so far - the CFMs aren't great but have been more than sufficient for the tough bolts I've encountered so far replacing my front end suspension.

Does anyone have any experience using any of HF's HVLP paint guns? I've heard there are a few SKUs that are crap, and a few that are passable. On that note - is there a consensus on acrylic vs. urethane paints considering that absolute quality isn't as important as value for me (painting an '86 Tercel wagon)?

I have two of their HVLP guns, one big and one small. I am a novice painter and just do it as a hobby but they have been ok for me so far.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Radbot posted:

I use them for primer only. They will use a lot of CFMs. If you see my project thread, I painted my car in single stage urethane with a Warwick 904h LVLP gun. But it's just a Tercel so it will probably be fine.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

PitViper posted:

Sorry, stuff like sockets and the like I'd definitely take back, no excuse for something simple like that to break. .

We use nice sockets in sizes up to 70mm that are made for use with hytorc equipment. You know what the first thing you do when you get a new one is? Wrap it with tape. These arent chrome vanadium sockets, they're proper impact sockets and they will explode every now and again under a few thousand kilo newton of torque.

Cheap ratchets and such are crap to use, but cheap sockets can end in shrapnel. I've split a few 24mm sockets with less than 150Nm of torque. Work hardening is a bitch.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

daslog posted:

I use them for primer only. They will use a lot of CFMs. If you see my project thread, I painted my car in single stage urethane with a Warwick 904h LVLP gun. But it's just a Tercel so it will probably be fine.

I'm going full on rattle can. The amount of money I'd have to spend on a "decent" spray gun and compressor would make it not worth the effort.

I just realized that the 6" wire wheel I bought is only rated for 4500rpms, so I gotta return that. Anything I should pick up there?

As far as 5" sanding disks, should I just go with the cheapest disks I can get my hands on, or is there something better that will last more than 5-10 minutes of sanding. The rust comes off easy, the OG paint is a BITCH. 55 year old paint is hard as a rock.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
FYI if you have external spline wheel locks and are a dumbass who loses the key, this Sears lug-out socket set is a life saver. I spent a day and numerous sockets, pliers, etc. trying to get my wheel locks off before searching a bit and finding this socket set. With this set I was able to remove the wheel locks in seconds--it's crazy how little protection wheel locks offer. You'll gouge up the locking nut and probably make it unusable in the process but it will get them off. For what its worth the set said to use the 12 point side to remove wheel locks, but I found those just spun while the 6 point side bit instantly. You'll want a 1/2" breaker bar and small 1/2" extension to use the set too (or apparently it works with an impact wrench). The extension is required because the sockets are double sided.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 5, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mod sassinator posted:

With this set I was able to remove the wheel locks in seconds--it's crazy how little protection wheel locks offer.

Remember: all locks only make your poo poo harder to steal than the next guy's.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
saw this deal if anyone needs a torque wrench.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-1-2inch-drive/p-00931425000P?&prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=L9

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

veedubfreak posted:

Make sure it works before you try to torque down something critical. Years ago I put my mechanically inept friend to work torquing the bolts on my exhaust header down when I was finishing up the install, and since he didn't know any better just kept going when the HF wrench didn't click...resulting in a bolt shearing off in my head. Fortunately I was able to extract the bolt with a pair of vice grips but I'll never trust a HF torque wrench to work right out of the box again.

Safety Dance posted:

Remember: all locks only make your poo poo harder to steal than the next guy's.

This, the idea is make the thief look for lower hanging fruit. Or if you're rolling around on wheels that are worth a ton park in a secure garage, or leave your high dollar car at home and get a beater for when you need to park in the high crime district.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah my wheels aren't anything special, just stock 17" alloys. I'm not going to replace the locks with locking nuts again.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've had the HF torque wrench for 5 years now - do I need to replace it? I've been careful to never drop it, but I have no idea how long they stay accurate. I'm not doing things that would require high accuracy, just basic car work. I know you can test them, but since they're so cheap it's not worth spending the money to test or recalibrate them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Made these DIY Race Ramps Mark I last night. XPS foam good to 500 kPa crudely cut with a boxcutter and glued together with caulk (cause it was within reach.) They're 80 cm long, 28 wide and 10 tall on the highest "step". They weigh less than a kilo a piece.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bolind fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 6, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I can see how the numbers work but that just seems like a bad idea.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Found a local place that beat the price of every online retailer for some new Wiss snips. The poo poo fat-max snips are for a size comparison.

16ga. cold rolled steel can be my bitch now.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Radbot posted:

Latest email has it for $9.99. Coupon# 54754824

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MomJeans420 posted:

I've had the HF torque wrench for 5 years now - do I need to replace it? I've been careful to never drop it, but I have no idea how long they stay accurate. I'm not doing things that would require high accuracy, just basic car work. I know you can test them, but since they're so cheap it's not worth spending the money to test or recalibrate them.

Unless you've been using it daily for the past five years I can't imagine it's off by more than +/- 5 ft-lbs. Short of using it to assemble aircraft I'm sure it's accurate enough for your application.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
As long as you unload it after use and don't drop it, clicker wrenches are good for years and years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splizwarf posted:

As long as you unload it after use and don't drop it, clicker wrenches are good for years and years.

Unload?

There's bullets????????

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I'm rather skeptical that storing a torque wrench under load causes anything close to measurable spring creep. It's just not close enough to plastic deformation stresses, especially not while sitting in a drawer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Unload?

There's bullets????????

In this case "unload" means "set back to zero."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

In this case "unload" means "set back to zero."

I figured, I'd just never heard it called that. My dad always said like you did.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Y'all can stop doing that and just leave your torque wrench at whatever torque setting is convenient.

http://www.norbar.com/Portals/3/NTTS%20TorquePaper2a%20Nov08%20NAB.pdf

Norbar posted:

Although considered by some to be good practice, extensive testing has clearly shown that unwinding a Norbar torque wrench to its minimum setting, hence relaxing the spring between uses, has no effect upon the wrench calibration.
You should NEVER unload a torque wrench back to 0 as things that need to be held in place by the spring can come loose. You always need to leave some level of tension on it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

grover posted:

Y'all can stop doing that and just leave your torque wrench at whatever torque setting is convenient.

That's not what that document says.

Norbar .pdf posted:

Although considered by some to be good practice, extensive testing has clearly shown that unwinding a Norbar torque wrench to its minimum setting, hence relaxing the spring between uses, has no effect upon the wrench calibration.

However, if left for a long period of time without use, it is desirable to reduce the setting to the minimum scale value (often 20% of the maximum). The tool should
never be adjusted to zero because this can adversely affect the calibration of the wrench.

Let's see if I can follow along:

"Don't bother unloading it because it has no effect, but if you aren't going to use it for a while, well, we suppose it does have some effect so you should at least unload it most of the way."

"Also, the tool should never be adjusted to zero because this can adversely affect the calibration of the wrench, but extensive testing has clearly shown that unwinding a Norbar torque wrench to its minimum setting has no effect on the wrench calibration, so gently caress it, do whatever you want."

:psyduck:

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 7, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey man, they got all of their bases covered.

Ordered this torque wrench from Sears.com and received this:

I hope that the nice man in KY won't need his plastic bin this weekend much like I needed my torque wrench for a track day. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I should use the customer information line when I go to return this tomorrow...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Splizwarf posted:

That's not what that document says.

Let's see if I can follow along:

"Don't bother unloading it because it has no effect, but if you aren't going to use it for a while, well, we suppose it does have some effect so you should at least unload it most of the way."

"Also, the tool should never be adjusted to zero because this can adversely affect the calibration of the wrench, but extensive testing has clearly shown that unwinding a Norbar torque wrench to its minimum setting has no effect on the wrench calibration, so gently caress it, do whatever you want."

:psyduck:
Yeah, I think that's the mechanic saying gently caress SCIENCE, I DON'T CARE WHAT THE TEST RESULTS SAY, I KNOW BETTER! Note: the minimum scale is not the same thing as zero, so reducing it to the minimum setting is still not unloading it completely.

Bottom line: do whatever the gently caress you want to do; it will have no impact whatsoever on your torque wrench. Just don't unscrew it completely.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

grover posted:

Bottom line: do whatever the gently caress you want to do; it will have no impact whatsoever on your torque wrench. Just don't unscrew it completely.

I'm not saying that I know what's in a torque wrench that might benefit from unloading past a spring, but basic materials science says that springs wear from movement, not remaining in a static position. This very well may be a large component in both the torque wrench as well as gun magazine debates.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Motronic posted:

I'm not saying that I know what's in a torque wrench that might benefit from unloading past a spring, but basic materials science says that springs wear from movement, not remaining in a static position. This very well may be a large component in both the torque wrench as well as gun magazine debates.
Counterpoint: another paragraph that we haven't quoted yet says to move your torque wrench back and forth a bunch of times after it's been sitting for a while to spread the grease out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

grover posted:

Counterpoint: another paragraph that we haven't quoted yet says to move your torque wrench back and forth a bunch of times after it's been sitting for a while to spread the grease out.

I'll totally buy that as it falls into the "things other than a spring in there" category, but it's not a wear issue.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Does anybody have any recommendations on a good cordless LED work light that can take some abuse? I have one of these ones:

Sure, there's no way it was actually made by Snap-on, but whatever. The way I work, it's been dropped, stepped on, and just plain tortured since the day I got it. I've had it for maybe 2 years, and recently the lens started coming off, then 2 days ago the plastic at the top broke and now the hook is missing.

I had a craftsman one like this:

The magnet was convenient sometimes, when I couldn't find a good spot for the hook (and it was removable too, for times when it would get in the way), but it suffered from the same flaw as the Snap-on: plastic. At least I can say the magnet is pretty strong; I took a car out for a long bumpy test drive after some suspension work, got back home and noticed a glow from the wheel well. The light was still stuck to the lower control arm. Of course several abusive repairs later, that light is no longer with us either.

Something like this looks intriguing, with the aluminum body and all. They don't list a whole ton of details though, and the page mentions a magnet but not a hook. Besides, aluminum construction is nice and all, but I think I need a bulletproof glass lens to complete the package :D. I guess something with a protective cage around the lens would work for me, since I do have a trouble light I've managed to not destroy yet. It's just a little clunky and the cord gets in the way sometimes.

I'm a big fan of buying tools that will last me the rest of my life, or at least ones that don't need to be replaced every year or 2. Is that possible in a LED work light?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone have any experience with this?

I need to get rid of all the 50 year old undercoating on my fenderwells. Figure for 18 bucks it's not too much of a risk.

http://www.harborfreight.com/Oscillating-Multifunction-Power-Tool-68861.html

I figure with a 90 day warranty, if it burns up I'll just return it as many times as I need to to get the job done. HF is on my way home from work and this will be the third time in a week I have been there. :emo:

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 7, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

veedubfreak posted:

I have one. It's worked the 8 times I've used it. :effort:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veedubfreak posted:

I need to get rid of all the 50 year old undercoating on my fenderwells. Figure for 18 bucks it's not too much of a risk.

http://www.harborfreight.com/Oscillating-Multifunction-Power-Tool-68861.html

I figure with a 90 day warranty, if it burns up I'll just return it as many times as I need to to get the job done. HF is on my way home from work and this will be the third time in a week I have been there. :emo:

I have one that my father gave me, he beat the piss out of it and it still works great. I trimmed a counter top and used it to trim laminate floor pieces and it worked like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There are worse things than being buddies with your HF staff - I've heard one can get 20% off on tool chests and the like if you are.