Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Yeah," Crystal says, picking up from Anna. "I don't want to have glue all over me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara begins to laugh as the tension melts away. "I think if the spiders made a team effort and held on tight, and with a little--well, a lot of spiderweb--we could just about do it!" She makes the creepy finger wiggle at the others. "If you don't like glue, we could just use web."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia pipes up as Crystal mentions a sport, "Oh! I was part of the chess team back home!"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

A long stare at Cecilia. Crystal blinks a few times. Yeah, she's got nothing for that.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Suitably shot down, Sarah listened as the others rattled off their various hobbies. Football? Chess? Not to mention the obvious dramatic types in the room...

"You're really going all out to make this like a real school, aren't you." For once there wasn't a trace of sarcasm in her voice. "An honest to goodness school experience."

A hint of an edge crept back into her tone. "But Miss Frost can take her genteel and her ladylike and shove th- can forget them. I'm not going through finishing school here."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

"When you can balance this hardcover on your head for ten steps and a curtsey, then you may leave, Grasshopper."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"I can do something like that, but it's just because I had a really strict coach. Except there was a bucket of ice water on top of the book. And I had to do a minor balance beam routine. A leap or two, you know, nothing fancy. But basically the same."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia leans back in her chair, "And I thought I had a weird high school," shaking her head slightly.

She pauses a moment, thinking, "Do we have any popcorn?"

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 28, 2012

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Crystal's nose twitches and then she tilts her head. Crystal stands up and marches over to the bookcase. She pulls down the biggest, heaviest book she can find...a slight huh, since she didn't know they still printed dictionaries, and she marches back over, handing it out to Tara.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Wha...Oh, you mean--Oh, alright. I mean, I haven't done any serious training since, you know, but I guess I can give it a shot." She kicks off her shoes and balls up her socks and puts them inside. She looks at her feet for a moment, the hard-won callouses, before placing the book on her head and walking up the banister. She could just let the spiders take her up, since she could probably do cartwheels on the ceiling if she wanted, now, but she chooses to do this all on her own. Soon, she's upstairs, and jumps down to the top landing. "Of course, I always had to vault onto the beam." With perfect poise, she jumps onto the railing and begins her exercise, quickly noticing that her clothes are terrible for this routine. Still, she carries it out, leaps, twists, turns, and all. "Normally there would be a few somersaults and tumbles, but this exercise is mostly for posture."

Acrobatics 10 to demonstrate!

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 28, 2012

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"For more individual and creative activities, it's mostly just based off of your own work, study and commitment. It's kinda subjective, but so long as you're doing well in it you'll be fine. But for sports teams they aren't based on houses, just whoever signs up for it. You might end up having to play against each other!"

"Look, so long as you keep a cool head and act respectful to one another, and to the House Mothers and Ms. Frost, you'll be fine." Tabby assures them. "There's no dress code and you don't need to curtsy or anything like that. Ms. Frost just has her own ideas about manners and demeanour and all that crap. If you live up to them you'll get more points, if you want."

Without a moment's notice, Tara grabs the dictionary and heads up to the above floor. And she goes through her routine effortlessly. She had done it so many times before now, she didn't even need to think about it. Her body knew what she was expected to do and did it. Except that now her body was made of spiders. And she was out of practice by some months. And maybe that was why she suddenly slips, looses her footing, and tumbles off the railing!

And seems to suddenly stop, just a few inches away from landing neck-first on the hard wooden floor. Attention of all the girls was on Tara while she performed, and Tara as she fell, but breaking their eyes off of her they can see Tabby standing up, her hand pointed out at the mid-air Tara. To the spider girl it felt like she was falling through air, then diving through water, then stuck in glue, and then the glue hardening so much that she couldn't move and her clothes were pulled tight; all in a split second.

Tara hangs there in the air for a few seconds, before she slowly starts to come to the ground again and touches down quite gently. Then Tabby dashes over and kneels down next to her. "Tara, are you alright!?"

[12:29pm] Robodog: DICE FOR THE DICE GOD
[12:29pm] Robodog: !r 1d20+10
[12:29pm] Maidbot: Robodog, 3 +10 = 13

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Thanks. I think I'll be fine. Probably shouldn't have tried that in jeans, I guess." Tara regains her footing and rubs the back of her neck, thankfully unsnapped. If she actually did hit the floor, she thinks she'd probably just explode into spiders or heal whatever went wrong...but she wasn't eager to test that out. "Doing it barefoot on a well-polished railing probably didn't help either. C-cool power, Ms. Caida."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah gave a short burst of applause as Tara picked herself up off of the - thin air?

"Ok, that was cool - even if you did fall, I mean. How do you still enjoy it, after the whole 'training from hell' thing?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara reaches for her shoes. "I don't know. I guess it's just...There's this moment, when you're up there, and everything's dead quiet, except for your feet hitting the mat or the creak of the beam, until you land. And then you hear the crowd, they're just as anxious as you are, waiting to hear what the judges have to say. And when you found out, they cheer or sigh or cry with you. There's nothing like it in the world." She slips her socks back on. "But that's just a few minutes of one day, every couple months. The rest of the year..." She ties her shoes up tight. "I think I'm going to take some art classes. I've been having some fun building webs. I can't make anything big yet, just little, nice ones."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Ooh!" The artist's eyes light up as Tara mentions her weaving. "We could start an art club, get some other girls interested, maybe put on a show! That would be a good signal of rehabilitation and, uh..." she pauses a moment, lost for words. "That stuff." As a thought strikes her, she turns to look at Cecilia. "If you can write without all the, uh, baggage, would you be interested in showing off some of that?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Crystal pops up to her feet. Tara's got this, though, no need for help. "Not a lotta girls know how to take a fall," she tells Tara as she sits back down. "Doesn't sound anything like cheering. All about the rhythm, there," she says. "If it stops you just....collapse. Like missin' a step on the stairs, then you fall hard."

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah nods along as Tara speaks. "Yeah, I get that. With the art, do you mean like weaving and tapestries and stuff? 'Cause I reckon with a bit of practice you could pull off 3d stuff, like sculptures."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

Taken aback by Tara's spill and Ms. Caida's quick save (and not to mention the quiet girl's sudden display), Anna falls quiet. I could have done something to help, she realizes, though unable to articulate how beyond a vague coalescence of intent around the bannister. She's okay though. Good thing Ms. Caida thinks fast!

"Art's cool," Anna enthuses. "I could--" she stops in midstream, wafting a hand and shaking her head. "Nah. Nobody likes poetry recitals."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

"Girl, I will quote Rime of the Ancient Mariner at you when you least expect it, complete with ocean spray effects." Rickie wags a finger at Anna, a tiny ocean wave curling off it, even tinier ship cresting and wallowing down the front.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Maybe we could form some kind of Blue House Arts Club, or something," she says with a smile. "Could be fun."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tabby helps Tara get back up, watching her cautiously. "Please be more careful. You could've really hurt yourself." She implores. "If you wanna try it the gym's set up to handle gymnastics. And accidental falls." The free movement and ease of walking away eases Tabby's concerns, though. "I can control friction, I made you fall through something like wet concrete. Sorry if it felt weird." She explains.

When the girls turn things quickly to discussing art, Tabby excuses herself and goes to her room. When she returns she is holding papers in one hand. "Starting an art club would show leadership and initiative. And they're both total point getters." Tabby smiles. "Now with Tara almost cracking her head I think we should think about calling it a night. But first…"

"Gym is with Ms. Sanders. Literature is Ms. Lang. Ms. Ycasiano takes maths. Science is with Ms. Lopez. Professor Gloom has powers class, and I take society." Tabby explains as she hands out the timetables to the girls. "You see every other house every day, but you don't have every subject with every other house. Except Gold House. You have the most classes with them, so I hope you'll get on with Jen's girls."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

Rickie studies the chart. "Oh, god, I'm horrible with rotating schedules. But hey, hour fifteen for lunch, that's a step up from my old school."

A thought strikes her and she looks at Tabby. "How did you wind up here, anyway? I heard you beat up the Hulk, but that's not the sort of thing you get community service for. Occasionally it's a service to the community."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Cecilia

Cecilia takes one look at the schedule and start clutching her head in faux-pain. "Ugh, prison was so much easier..."

She suddenly looks up, cheeks flushing, as she realizes what she has just said.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Oh Gosh!" Crystal declares, hopping to her feet and taking the schedule. "Leadership and Initiative!?" she's putting on a heavy, mock-drawl that's not really her natural accent, although the difference may be lost on anybody but her. "Maybe if we're good we'll get a whole nickel!" A snort and roll of her eyes. The last thing Crystal wants is leadership and initiative. Ugh.

Despite that level of distaste, Crystal still take the schedule and studies it, along with the map of the campus to suss out all the rooms and buildings.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, now that's an impressive looking schedule!

Anna

Anna turns her hands out with a flourish and a laugh at Rickie's response. "Okay. Okay. Just let me find a rubber chicken to wear around my neck. I've got the wings figured out already." Her pinions shift in shruggish emphasis, long feathers spreading and relaxing. A House arts thingy? Anna nods enthusiastically to Tara.

"Leadership and initiative, and something to do for ourselves?" Anna suggests, looking to Crystal as she leans over and takes one of the schedule forms. "The nickel's a side benefit. Like the... TV." Anna trails off as the schedule leaps out at her in a rush of color and complexity.

"Oh. Oh, oh, I get it," she nods to herself, realizing shortly that each class period breaks down into a smaller chunk. It's probably something to do with the limited number of teachers on staff. And a free period with two meal breaks makes the eleven hour day seem at least a little shorter.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Anna gets a hero point for recognising how lovely and colourful the time table is! Tara you get one as well for almost breaking your neck.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I noticed someone barfed Skittles all over it, too, but I had enough tact not to say anything!

jk ilu <3

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

Sarah turns the timetable over and over in here hands. No sense in memorizing it - it's probably become an ingrained routine soon enough.

"An hour each of maths and science every day? After lunch?" She shakes her head. "I'm with you Cecilia. Prison sounds like a carnival compared to that."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

"Maybe it's a way to keep us from carb loading. Can't sleep through science, if we're in the lab," Crystal says. She steps up to the stairs and lingers, stifling a yawn.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 5, 2012

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"My time to share, is it?" Tabby smiles a little back to Rickie, looking a bit embarrassed. She runs both her hands through her short, unruly hair and lightly pulls at the tufts sticking through her fingers. "Pretty much the same way you guys got here. Ms. Frost found me and offered me a second chance. And I grabbed it with both hands." Tabby obliquely answers. "But for how I got there in the first place?" She more directly addresses, sighing.

"I got my powers in high school, around the same age as you guys. I was lucky that it wasn't obvious, at first people were just slipping and falling around me for no reason. Sometimes things would just fall off of shelves and stuff like that. It wasn't until I kinda just started skating down asphalt roads in my gym shoes that I realised that something was up about me and friction."

Grinning just like the school girl she wasn't that far out of being, Tabby's eyes are wide with excitement. "It was awesome! Like, I bet I know how you felt the first time you found out you could fly." She obviously directs at Anna. "But, of course, I started using my powers to my own advantage. I was a cheerleader, no surprise, but I was in a very competitive school. I was strong and a good gymnast and had a great smile… well, actually I still am all those things. But uh, I was only a sophomore, and those varsity girls were older and really just plain better than me. I wasn't going to get onto the varsity squad. You know, until they started to fall down doing flips and dropping feet in the a pyramid. I'm so lucky no one got really hurt."

Tabby shakes her head. "So, with me using it every drat day that didn't even last a year before people got suspicious and started harassing my family about me being a dangerous mutant freak. So... I showed them exactly how dangerous my powers were. I was already as fast as a car skating and I was a lot more manoeuvrable, so during rush hour I skated against traffic and every expensive car I saw went off the road and crashed. Into trees, houses, other cars. I still had enough self control to slow those cars down enough that no one got killed, but there were broken bones and everything."

Her enduring smile fades into a vague sort of frown, and she looks down into her lap. "Of course, my parents freaked the gently caress out. My little brother hid under his bed because he was afraid of me. I was going to just go and leave but I opened the door to see a SWAT team in my face demanding I surrender." She looks up to look at the girls. "You know on Mythbusters when they shoot a gun into the water and the bullet explodes as soon as it hits it? Yeah…" She takes a deep breath and sighs. "That was fun to find out. But then they fell on their asses and dropped their guns and I ran away."

"Got to Chicago and laid low for a while, and once it all died down I turned to bank jobs. As you do. I worked with The Constrictor for that first bit when I was just starting out, who is a pretty stand up guy by the by. After I got bored with that I went to work with the mob, I gave them a cut from my 'earnings' and signed on as an enforcer. I'm actually really surprised that you heard anything about me Rickie. It's not like I tried to fight Spider-Man in New York or anything, I was C-list working out of Chicago." She tells the painter.

"I mean, I'd vacation a couple of times a year when things got too hot. That was when I was in Vegas and the Hulk thing happened." She tells everyone. "He was grey when I met him, not green. I think that made him less strong or something, but way more talky. And grabby. It's not like I was wearing Trauma's outfit or anything, I was in jeans. Pervert." She mutters, sounding quite aggrieved. "But it doesn't matter if Hulk is strongest one there is, you're not doing anything if you can't get solid footing to throw a punch. But he kept pissing me off by being totally loving gross and creepy. Seriously, if any of you are thinking of super stuff you're going to get that. Ugh. I increased the air friction around him so much that just moving was tearing the flesh off his bones, I almost flayed him alive."

Tabby pauses for a few moments. "I realised I was about to cross a line…so I ran away again. And got blackout drunk for months so I wouldn't have to deal with it or think about it. Next thing I know I'm skating at one fifty down the interstate coming out of L.A with a pallet of gold bricks from I-don't-know-where behind me and Iron Man flying overhead trying to blast me. I was trying to get away so I did the only thing I could think of. I threw that gold right into traffic." Tabby makes a helpful throwing motion to accompany this. "There was a massive pileup, both sides of the interstate and over all the lanes. Iron Man stopped chasing me and flew down to help and keep it from getting more worse than it was. That's when it kinda it me. Instead of using that as a distraction and run away, I stayed to help. Four people died because of what I did."

Staring down at her hands, Tabby remains silent for two or three minutes. "As soon as the ambulance and police and Iron Man had it back under control I gave myself up. Pleaded guilty to everything when I got in front of a judge, if Iron Man hadn't testified on my behalf I'd probably be sitting on death row or something." Tabby looks each of the house in the eyes in turn. "I was nineteen when I got sent to the Raft. I'd been doing the whole supervillain thing since I was 16. I'll be twenty two in August, but I got my birthday present already when I was let out and given a chance to make up for what I did." She smiles, but it looked out of place on her otherwise blue face. She pushes herself up out of the chair and head towards her room. "Night girls."

Robodog fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 7, 2012

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

"G'Night, Crystal." Sarah waves lazily with one hand, and stifles a yawn of her own with the other.

And then Tabby unloads. It's obvious that she'd been keeping it bottled up for a while - and given the tale that she unfolded, it was easy to see why. By the end, Sarah is looking away from the scene. Something in the House Mother's expression was a bit too... raw. And it was hard to think of her as the dreaded Authority Figure like that. Too hard.

"...night."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie

The artist begins eagerly molding Tabby's story, showing her skating down the road, flinging guns out of cops' hands, making the Hulk slip on a banana peel... Then she falters. Something sinks in. Her images lose cohesion, collapsing into a small multicolored puddle. She leans back against the couch as Tabby finishes her story and goes off to her room. "...Goodnight, Miss Caida."

She looks at the other girls. "There but for the grace of Frost go we. That's the message, I think. Sounds good to me. Goodnight."

She gathers her pigment off the table and spreads it in an empty pizza box, idly painting a desert landscape. Then she gathers up the boxes and takes them into the kitchen, stuffing the empties in the trash and the leftovers (Roughly half of the monstrosity and a slice of supreme) in the fridge.

Upstairs in her room, Rickie finishes unpacking her bag, a battered nylon backpack that had seen her through her entire trip. It was all a-jumble from the searching the police gave it, so she eventually found her sketchbook at the bottom, wrapped in a pair of jeans. A thorough search revealed all her pens had been confiscated, so she settled for sitting at the desk and writing with her fingernail.

Dear Dad...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Anna

There's enough pizza in Anna's belly, greasemonster and merely greasy, to make her feel like she won't be able to fly for at least a week. With all of her energies devoting themselves to digestion too, it feels like a good time to go to sleep before sleep comes to her. So, she picks herself up and tucks her wings neatly one over the other, and leans over to close up one of the empty boxes. And then Ms. Caida begins to share her story, and Anna sits back down to listen.

It sounds familiar, powers manifesting in high school, accidents and acts of petty pique, and Anna feels a note being plucked in her being as she finds herself sharing a smile with Ms. Caida. The feathers sprouting from her back and the stubby beginnings of wings were frightening at first, freakish even, but she'll never forget the night she snuck out to the park and took to the air for the first time. But then the tale turns darker: frustration, anger, acting out and causing harm: that carries a pang of familiarity as well. Only the beginning of the descent, Anna listens as Tabby's life goes further awry. What if-- would she have done the same thing, if push had come to shove? Her stomach turns at the tale of the Hulk, his offense and Ms. Caida's retaliation, and she remembers some rear end in a top hat at school slipping and spraining his arm. That hadn't been her, had it?

And then Ms. Caida's tragedy reaches its catastrophe. It's almost impossible to reconcile the bright, bubbly woman with someone who had killed several people, intentionally or not. Almost, but how close had she come to doing the same thing? How many stories are there of people being brained by sandbags or spotlights, and people being trampled in a race to too few, too narrow exits?

That's why, when some of the other girls start cleaning up, Anna hurries to catch up with Tabby before she retires to her room, and gives her a hug. There are wings involved too, in a somewhat awkward, sort-of-like-a-cape gesture. "I'm glad you're here too," she confides to the (slightly) older woman, before letting go and returning to help with the culinary aftermath.

---
HP added to my first post.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

"Thanks, Ms. Caida. It helps a lot." To know you're not alone. That even the faculty here are murderers. "I'm going to head to bed, if that's alright. It's been a long day."

From the doorway, she can see the box still sitting there, in the center of her room. She pulls it over to her bed and lays out her medals and trophies on the bedspread, bronze, silver and gold tones glittering back at her. Seeing it all laid out, she realizes there was a good deal more gold than anything else. Maybe mom and dad were right. She wipes the dust of a marble stand with her bedsheet. Maybe if she'd given a few more hours with her coach...

She looks for a place to set her balance beam trophy down, when the desk catches her eye and her heart freezes in her chest. In the bottom-left drawer is a letter and in that letter...

"Tara, are you sure you want this?" The doctor sits back in his chair, hand outreached as he pleads with his patient. He's middle-aged and extremely thin, with gold-rimmed glasses covering his deep-set eyes.
"I need...I need to be able to face up to what I did, Dr. Weylan."
He adjusts his glasses, "This is a potentially healthy step forward, but I'm worried it might be a little premature."
"But don't you think I've made, you know, progress? I'm not in the box anymore, I'm heading to that school--you even signed the papers, right?"
"Yes, Tara, I did. You've done very well over these past months. But recovery for someone in your situation is never simple. The incident--"
"It wasn't an incident. I--I--I killed someone. And if I'm going to make sure that never happens again, that someone needs a name. They need to be a person."
Dr. Weylan looks into Tara's eyes for a solid minute. He grabs his cane and goes over to his desk, pulling out a letter. "Here. The name and everything you want is in this envelope."
Tara takes it and stares at the letter. "Thank you."
"We can talk about it when you're ready. See you Thursday."

Tara puts the trophies and metals back in the box, sliding the box into the closet for now. Maybe later. Maybe...

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Anna catches Tabby just as she reached the door to her room. She looks surprised when Anna wraps her arms and wings around her, but from just how hard Tabby hugged her back Anna could tell it was appreciated. "Thanks Anna." Tabby whispers back to her, her voice sounding a little croaky and teary.

With their House Mother off to bed, it isn't too long before her girls do the same. And sooner rather than later, the house falls asleep.

The beds were surprisingly comfortable, so (hopefully) a good nights sleep had been enjoyed by all despite the downer the previous night had ended on. Though the sheer excitement of the first day of classes and meeting all the other girls might have helped balance that out.

Those who are first out of bed and down to the kitchen find a miraculous buffet spread across the kitchen counter that would make Jesus blush. Pancakes, waffles, french toast, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, leftover pizza, grits, an array of fresh fruit and fruit juices along with plain old bran cereals and milk, all waiting for the mob of hungry girls. Next to the food, and held down by a bowl of grapes, was a note written out in loopy cursive.

pre:
Sorry girls, had to scoot and get ready for my class.
Should be something for everybody, so help yourselves to breakfast!
Mind the robots! (and Ms. Sanders)
<3 <3

…robots?

As if summoned by thinking about them too hard, a trio of mechanical rats suddenly burst out from around a corner and race into the kitchen. Their tiny metal legs end not in claws, but little wheels that seem to be able to propel them right up the very walls! One of them races up the side of the kitchen bench to drop off another stack of pancakes, which were being held in a spindly telescoping arm emerging from the its back. The other two work in tandem to fill a just with fresh squeezed orange juice. On top their heads, like a beanie, a minuscule satellite dish spins and whirs.

Everybody gets a HP for the intro bit! Woo! And I can't remember if I said it or not, but in addition to normal HP uses you can spend them on directing the plot/narrative for a post too! Woo!

Robodog fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 9, 2012

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tara

Tara wakes up the usual way, half-formed and the room looking like a haunted house. She sighs to herself, regretting not unpacking her duster. She pulls herself together, cleans up a bit, then gets dressed and heads downstairs.

Tara's plated some fruit before she sees the roborats skitter on by and replenish the pancakes and spew out the OJ. "I think I'll stick to the milk," she says to herself, growing pale and shedding a few spiders dripping down on long strands. She wasn't going to have pancakes anyway. Just some fruit and a little oats to make up for last night. She sits down at the table with her modest breakfast, dressed ready for class. "So, what do you think PE will be like? Just normal sports or like...super-sports?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Rickie - Hero Points: 2
pre:
Dear Dad,

I assume the authorities involved have kept you in the loop about my activities. I'm doing
fine, my stay in our correctional system has been pleasant.  It looks to stay pleasant,
since this school is something of an offshoot of the prisons.

I'm making new friends, so far everyone here is really nice.  Before Mom asks, two of the
girls in my House (We're ordered into Houses, almost like Harry Potter.  I'm in Blue
House, but I don't think there was any Sorting Hat business, despite our girls being
kinda Ravenclaw.) have killed people.  Well, one has, I'm still not sure about the other,
she may just be a victim of the media.  They're both really shook up about it.

You probably already got a brochure or something else about this place, but we've got
full days of classes, learning to control our powers and use them to benefit society,
plus the usual math and science and English.  You always told Mom I was too pretty for
jail, but it turns out all I needed was a similarly pretty jail.

I don't even know if they'll allow it, but if you could ship me some of my clothes, Mister
Ears, and Fizzwazzle The Ineluctable, I'd really appreciate it.

Tell Mom
Rickie awakens, showers, and looks at the letter again. She'd stared at "Tell Mom" for so long with her mind blank last night, sure she wanted to say something, but not sure what. Still using a fingernail and her pigment, she writes "Tell Mom I love her", then shakes her head and twists her fingers, changing the pigment on the paper.
pre:
Tell Mom I don't hate her.

Rickie
Carefully tearing the page out of her sketchbook and folding it in thirds, she gets dressed and skips down the stairs. "Morning girls! You seen Tab-" she spots the note. "drat. Wanted to ask her about mailing th- robots!" She drops to her knees, putting her eyes at level with the counter to look at the little serving bots better. "They're so cute!" Pulling out a chair, she plops herself into it and unfolds the letter.
pre:
P.S.- Our breakfast is being served by little robots!  They're cute, you'd like them.
She draws a picture of one of the robots perched on top of a piece of stereotypical holey cartoon cheese, then sets the letter aside and grabs a plate. The stiff sketchbook paper retains its unfolded shape, affording the other girls the opportunity to peek if they desire. Each of her Ts is crossed in a different color, forming a series of erratic rainbows across the page.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crystal

Tabby's long story glanced off Crystal, still lingering at the foot of the stairs. The moral rather obviously embedded in it put her off to the whole affair. Hulk's grabby, Iron Man's distractable, don't be bad. Right. She'd half expected Tabby to tie a bow around it. Crystal goes upstairs and promptly faceplants into her bed, untroubled by the sentiment affecting her housemates.

"Supersports, I'd wager," Crystal says, coming up behind Tara. "Get us 'comfortable with our powers' and all that." She picks up a plate and scoops over a larger helping of scrambled eggs. She finds a seat, dropping a gym back as she sits down. She's already dressed for PE, her class clothes presumably in the bag. "Y'all sleep good?" she asks as she starts eating.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sarah

The bed was comfy. Too comfy. After a long night's sleep Sarah was still reluctant to tear herself away from the mattress. In the end it was only the smell of food wafting up from below that forced her to move. She hadn't thought she'd be hungry after all the pizza he night before but her stomach said otherwise. Still yawning, she scrapes together the few books and things that the school had provided, and stumbled downstairs.

"Mornin'," she says, stifling a further yawn. "I slept good. Best night's sleep in months."

She actually manages to sit down with a plate of pancakes and bacon before she notices the mechanical rats scooting around the place. She frowns, and stares at the closest one as it makes a sharp turn around a stack of toast.

"I wasn't expecting that," she says to the others, still tracking the robot. "I wonder if they... Hey!" She taps the table next to her, and addresses the nearest robo-rat. "Come over here. What's your name then?" Her voice slips into a tone you'd normally hear addressed to a pet or small child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The robo-rat Rickie eyes pauses for a moment, its satellite dish bopping up and down for a moment, then goes back to kitchen duties.

When Sarah beckons the toast serving robo-rat, it races over. A rather high pitched *squeak* is emitted from within the contraption, sounding like a rather unconvincing attempt to make midi mouse noises. But to Sarah, it's a completely different noise. For she hears the robo-rat say, "Squeak!"

• Locked thread