Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

I was hoping that Baam's motivations were a bit more complex, actually. The hostage thing is a bit simplistic. He isn't even chasing Rachel to get answers.

It is a nice reveal with respect to another aspect of Baam though: I initially assumed that he had refused to team up with the others because he had a broken heart / was a jerk now / was arrogant. It turns out it's actually much more true to his original character: he refused them at first to try and protect them. He knew Wangnan and the others would be scrutinized by FUG and possibly used as additional leverage to get him to act a certain way or even killed, and he didn't want to see more people hurt because of him. I think he was totally convinced to follow that path until Wangnan's speech about the tower and his friends in "The Preys" (02), which was enough to move his mind to an undecided point.

How long they remain a team should be really interesting to watch unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Pierson posted:

From the text and how far they're going it seems like FUG are just totally backed into a corner.

SIU said in one of the FAQs that he was thinking about writing another series about Han Yuri's ascent, I think FUGs history would be pretty cool to see too. Maybe Baam isn't the first irregular they've had as a slayer candidate. Maybe they've had dozens and every time they get one they all just pray to god he doesn't die on the ascent, or Zahard rankers don't find him and murder his rear end, or that they have a change of heart halfway up. Maybe they started out as a friendly and nice and shouneny anti-hero organisation, and hundreds/thousands of years of failure have turned them into the jaded take-no-chances give-no-quarter outfit they are now. Revolution ain't easy, or pretty.

I think that it has been stated that Enryu, Phantiminium, and Urek Mazino were the only irregulars to enter the Tower between the arrival of Zahard and the 10 Families and Baam/Rachel's arrival.

Unlike Baam and Rachel, though, those three were already killing machines upon entry to the Tower. So this is probably the first chance FUG has had to get real leverage on an Irregular. It took thousands of years for their chance to arrive, and who knows when they'll get another shot at it?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hodgepodge posted:

I think that it has been stated that Enryu, Phantiminium, and Urek Mazino were the only irregulars to enter the Tower between the arrival of Zahard and the 10 Families and Baam/Rachel's arrival.

Unlike Baam and Rachel, though, those three were already killing machines upon entry to the Tower. So this is probably the first chance FUG has had to get real leverage on an Irregular. It took thousands of years for their chance to arrive, and who knows when they'll get another shot at it?

Additionally, it's pretty clear that none of those guys is likely to kill Zahard since it seems a safe bet that if they ever were going to, they already would have. It's definitely safe to say that for Phantiminium, who just showed up, wreaked havoc on Zahard's whole court, then just decided to leave without even attacking Zahard himself, even though the entire everybody there couldn't even try to defend themselves.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
For sure. Although Mazino has been building his own somewhat subversive organization (Wing Tree), but that means that 1) he doesn't have the support to take on Zahard directly, and 2) he doesn't want to work with FUG.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah, the purpose of the Wing Tree organization is find the way out of the tower. They just conflict sometimes with Zahard because they have some different opinions on how the tower should be run. Essentially different political parties.

Some of the members do view it as a anti-Zahard organization, but Urek and Baek Ryun(current leader and co-founder with Urek) certainly don't.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
You could well be right. I kind of take that to implicitly mean "get to the real top of the Tower," which is the source of tension with Zahard. There isn't really enough evidence for me to make a strong argument for my interpretation, though.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
All and all a solid chapter, but there's one dark shadow of foreboding. the part were instant coffee king is doing the whole "TRAIN OR WE MURDER YOUR FRIENDS" skit seems to paint FUG more cartoonishly evil then complex. Irrational fear or not I'm praying this dose not turn into a power of friendship solves everything comic... :ohdear:

I just cant wait to see what comes to pass between Baam and Rachel

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
I think FUG is meant to be read as sort of like a Yakuza-style crime sydicate. Not cartoonishly evil per se, just utterly ruthless in pursuit of their goals.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

I think FUG is meant to be read as sort of like a Yakuza-style crime sydicate. Not cartoonishly evil per se, just utterly ruthless in pursuit of their goals.

The original blog post on FUG made them out to be sort of a 'Religious' counterpart to the Wingtree's social club. So both have at least -some- political interest [Wing tree probably less so], but their motivations are obviously different. Maybe it'd be accurate to consider FUG kind of cultish?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
The Company's translation is out. It has some notes from SUI at the end:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/125792/tower-of-god_v2_ch28_by_the-company

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Weekly ToG fix.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Viole carrying the kid who's name I forgot on his shoulders was pretty :3:. Beyond that, not much to say, mostly just setup for the next test. Yeon also remains surprisingly entertaining, her melting the motor was pretty funny, if only for Viole and Prince's faces.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well it's certainly a lot sooner than I thought it'd be to meet that character.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

Well it's certainly a lot sooner than I thought it'd be to meet that character.

Oh poo poo, how did I miss that the first time through :psyduck:. For those who don't remember, Urek Mazino is an irregular, the 4th highest ranker, and the founder of Wing Tree/Walhaiksong.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I remembered that but it's also possible it's just some dude who's really into Wing Tree and not Mazino himself.

-Actually, it can't be him. Mazino has the wing tree tattooed on his shoulder, not across his back, according to the wiki.

And c'mon, getting your own name tattooed across your back would be pretty lame.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 27, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can't see it being anyone but Urek or Baek Ryun. Guess it could just be a random Urek worshipper but I think that'd be kinda weird.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cbouncerrun posted:

I can't see it being anyone but Urek or Baek Ryun. Guess it could just be a random Urek worshipper but I think that'd be kinda weird.

Going by the wiki it could be Baek Ryun, because "Baek Ryun’s real appearance is controversial. Normally, he appears to be an ordinary boy, but he sometimes appears as a tall young man. Also, some say that they have seen Baek Ryun tall enough to touch the ceilings of the Tower."

And Viole's expressions when what's-her-name was riding on him and when Yeon blew up the motor were hilarious. I love ToG's comedic moments.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

New update!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tower-of-God/110-Read-Online?id=137947

I really like how they're showing some lighthouse hunting/fighting techniques, I was wondering how they were useful aside from being the nerve center of a team. Also laughed hard at them leaving Yihwa behind.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So Prince and Goseng are Lightbearers, Miseng is Scout.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Yeah, looks like that's actually Urek. Hoping we get something more from him next chapter.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Strabo4 posted:

New update!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tower-of-God/110-Read-Online?id=137947

I really like how they're showing some lighthouse hunting/fighting techniques, I was wondering how they were useful aside from being the nerve center of a team. Also laughed hard at them leaving Yihwa behind.
But she swam so diligently!

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
It seems like SIU has some problems with combat, I've noticed a couple times where people suddenly switch which side of their opponent they're on, or swing with one arm in one panel, and the next panel it switches.

Otherwise great chapter.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hietala posted:

It seems like SIU has some problems with combat, I've noticed a couple times where people suddenly switch which side of their opponent they're on, or swing with one arm in one panel, and the next panel it switches.

Otherwise great chapter.

Umbrella guy switched his hand so he could grab the flower not attack, he is right handed from what I can tell

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, looks like that's actually Urek.
What makes you say that?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

AtomikKrab posted:

Umbrella guy switched his hand so he could grab the flower not attack, he is right handed from what I can tell

I meant Teddy in this chapter.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New Chapter is out.

Urek being a badass. He should at least know of the existence of an irregular named Baam from Yuri, so hopefully that'll come out in some way next week. Mostly excited as this is an excellent spell-stealing opportunity for Baam.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:dance: I can't wait, I love the fights in this story more than just about any other. Shinsoo is a pretty malleable force leading to a lot of interesting uses.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

:dance: I can't wait, I love the fights in this story more than just about any other. Shinsoo is a pretty malleable force leading to a lot of interesting uses.

One problem Viole is the next best thing to immune to Shinsoo and this guy has so far been shown to use Shinsoo attacks, that would not go well

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He has insane shinsoo resistance, but he's still just a regular. Yes, he'll be a monster when he reaches the top of the tower but for now he's still not a match for any decent ranker, let alone one of the strongest in the tower. Notice how even Love was able to outmatch him, despite being taken by surprise multiple times.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The hands were consistent this time, but it looks like the author forgot about Yihwa's leggings instead.

Anyway, I hope Viole puts up a better fight than he did against Love this time.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

lil baby anime posted:

The hands were consistent this time, but it looks like the author forgot about Yihwa's leggings instead.

Anyway, I hope Viole puts up a better fight than he did against Love this time.

How do you expect him to do better against the 4th strongest person in the tower than he did against a no-name ranker? I think your expectations are a bit lofty for our 21st-floor-residing main character.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I believe in the author. He has the power to make it happen, and he will.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Baam didn't do the skeleton armor thing. I'm sure he has learned to do stuff other than freeze people, but all he did during the fight with Love was that and Love's own moves. He probably could have beaten Love if he had needed to.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Company's translation of the previous chapter is out, along with a translation of SIU's blog post, which is interesting.

SIU blog posted:

I think many of you will guess the identity of the Pink Pig that appeared in this episode.

It also made me interested in a character that I'm pretty sure has never been mentioned in ToG proper, Robert Aisand, who from the description provided, may be one of the strongest people in the tower.

As for the latest chapter, wow. Looks like the mysterious guy is Urek Mazino. It'll be interesting to see how the fight between him and Baam goes. I got the impression that Baam has not showed of all his tricks, even in the fight with Love, so hopefully he'll have something up his sleeve.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 10, 2012

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
The Pink Pig is Phantaminum :tinfoil:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not convinced yet that it is Mazino. Why would he have his own name on his back?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Mazino is the Steve-o of the ToG universe.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Some of the stuff on the wiki does make it sound like Mazino is the kind of guy who'd tattoo his name across his back and then refuse to wear a shirt:

quote:

Yuri spoke of him and stated, "He's the best man to fight with, but the worst man to live with."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 11, 2012

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Miffler posted:

I'm not convinced yet that it is Mazino. Why would he have his own name on his back?

He's been described as something of an obnoxious, self-absorbed [womanizing] idiot.

It seems to fit pretty well.

I don't know what it is about the fanbase for this series, but there's some weird pervasive thing where a worrying amount of people seem to think that SIU is out to 'troll' you with every little thing. So much so that these people didn't think Viole was Baam even after his flashback of Rachel.

I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
Is Mazino his family name? He may just be repping his clan or what not?