Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So I broke down and went back to Spotify. Not the premium, because of the fact that I really can't afford both it and Netflix at the same time. I'm so glad that I did because I missed it and now it's a lot better too. More artist have added their discography and it's a lot better than the initial offering.

Is the playlist thread still around or did that get archived?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I got this thing kicked off:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497919

Earwicker, if you wouldn't mind adding some stuff from your Ambient, IDM, and Techno playlists that'd be rad.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I'm elated that the Animal Collective selection has gotten more complete. Sung Tongs was unavailable forever but it's up there in its entirety now, and a few other random songs that I remember not having access to are not blocked any more.

Now if we could get Joanna Newsom on there I'd be all set. Is that a Drag City issue, are they real anti-Spotify?

Fautzo
Jan 3, 2012

u can read this i guess idc
I think Slayer just got taken off of spotify.

I decided I wanted to listen to slayer today but I noticed something funny. The tracks weren't in my playlist. When I searched them up they only had a few movie soundtrack songs, but before they had almost all of their songs on spotify. Then I searched them up on google and found one of their tracks on the spotify website and played it. It took me to the album but all of the tracks were grey and when I tried to play them it just gave me a message that said, "This track is not available".

I hope it's a glitch or something because I was just listening to them yesterday, and that would really suck if they pulled one of my favorites from their catalog.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
there's only one album on spotify right now, perhaps the deal ran out and they will be added in a few days again. it has happened before and it will happen again unless they streamline this poo poo.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there a spotify remote that isn't terrible? I'd like to plug my laptop into the stereo and use my iphone to control what plays so I don't have to get up and walk over to the computer all the time.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there a spotify remote that isn't terrible? I'd like to plug my laptop into the stereo and use my iphone to control what plays so I don't have to get up and walk over to the computer all the time.

spotify iphone app + any of these: http://www.spotify.com/us/about/features/around-the-house/

not sure of a specific remote app to control the desktop app though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I ended up snagging this:

http://www.spotremote.com/

It gives you access to your playlists and you can search (no related artists though bummer). I think you do have to have premium for it to work for whatever reason.

How do you folks organize your songs? I'm just coming off iTunes and I used smart playlists to basically do "stuff that's new" "stuff I've listened to a lot recently" etc...With spotify it looks like it's all manual...

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

I use Spotify in my car with USB but without Music Controls Pro the application doesn't seem to get priority and it just switches off / or to the iPod app.

Music Controls Pro is this app for jailbroken users and it worked fine, but since Spotify on iOS updates like every week I accidentally upgraded and now support is gone.

Is there anything else I can use ? Or is there any way to go to an older version of the Spotify app?

Thanks

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I would kill for my car to be a bit more friendly to media devices. All I have is a CD player and no input jack. I got a really good deal on the car, otherwise I would have insisted on an input or USB jack. Something like Spotify on my iPhone while driving, especially with dictation would make driving an absolute dream.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

isomerc posted:

I would kill for my car to be a bit more friendly to media devices. All I have is a CD player and no input jack. I got a really good deal on the car, otherwise I would have insisted on an input or USB jack. Something like Spotify on my iPhone while driving, especially with dictation would make driving an absolute dream.

it was pretty cool :(

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

isomerc posted:

Yeah serious. I'm stuck burning discs like a chump.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
If you've got a radio in your car you can always use an FM transmitter for a tenner or so.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Svartvit posted:

If you've got a radio in your car you can always use an FM transmitter for a tenner or so.

They never seem to work. Also, I'm kind of an audio perfectionist. If I'm 45 minutes into a mix and it skips right at a crucial part, I'd throw it out of the window. I mean I'm open to try a decent one, since the ones I've used are all lovely Walmart ones. Any suggestions?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
If you have a tape deck, I've been happier with this than anything else short of a line-in.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

isomerc posted:

They never seem to work. Also, I'm kind of an audio perfectionist. If I'm 45 minutes into a mix and it skips right at a crucial part, I'd throw it out of the window. I mean I'm open to try a decent one, since the ones I've used are all lovely Walmart ones. Any suggestions?

They usually sound like rear end too. Like a radio I guess.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

If you have a tape deck, I've been happier with this than anything else short of a line-in.

Honestly, I would rather have a tape deck than a CD player for this very reason.

They usually sound like rear end too. Like a radio I guess.

That's one of my main gripes about FM transmitters. I've been doing research to see if I can splice a 1/8" jack into the back of my stereo unit, but to no avail.

If anyone has a fix for this, PLEASE let me know. (2006 VW Jetta)

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Yeah they all sound like radio and you get interference sometimes. If you're a handy man you can unlock the stereo from the shelf and manually add a second port to the speakers and put a stereo plug male on the other end and just plug your iphone into the speakers directly. I did it in my old car and was well worth it.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

isomerc posted:

Honestly, I would rather have a tape deck than a CD player for this very reason.

That's one of my main gripes about FM transmitters. I've been doing research to see if I can splice a 1/8" jack into the back of my stereo unit, but to no avail.

Unless you want to start fiddling with the cable stems you need a certain VW stereo key to unhook your stereo. You can buy them at various places so look around, it's not that difficult. Once you've done that there's a series of color coded wires that should be...

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Black
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange/Blue
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange/White
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/Light Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange/Black
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Light Green
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange/Red

...according to the Internet. It's for a 2004 Jetta but I don't think there ever was a 2006 model tbh. If you don't give a crap about rear/front balance just connect all left +/- and all right +/- with whatever tool you want. A true ghetto agent just twist the cables together and PVC tape them but just you can just buy a row of cable connectors at your local hardware store or whatever and all you need is a screwdriver or less. Make the cable long so that you can wire it down through the panel and out below the steering wheel next to your centre console.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
You can solder a wire onto your FM transmitter to improve the signal. Google the FM transmitter you have/want and there should be instructions to do it.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Svartvit posted:

Unless you want to start fiddling with the cable stems you need a certain VW stereo key to unhook your stereo. You can buy them at various places so look around, it's not that difficult. Once you've done that there's a series of color coded wires that should be...

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Black
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange/Blue
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/White
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange/White
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red/Light Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange/Black
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Light Green
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange/Red

...according to the Internet. It's for a 2004 Jetta but I don't think there ever was a 2006 model tbh. If you don't give a crap about rear/front balance just connect all left +/- and all right +/- with whatever tool you want. A true ghetto agent just twist the cables together and PVC tape them but just you can just buy a row of cable connectors at your local hardware store or whatever and all you need is a screwdriver or less. Make the cable long so that you can wire it down through the panel and out below the steering wheel next to your centre console.

I think I might go the ghetto route on this one, as I don't intend on having this car for more than another year or two. I really can't describe how badly I long for a way to use my phone to control media while preserving fidelity.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

isomerc posted:

You could get a cd changer adapter from a place like logjamelectronics.com. I had a 2006 jetta once and this is what I did. It's a box that plugs into the cd changer port on the back of the factory stereo and gives you a headphone jack. I got one that gave me a 30 pin dock connector and even let me control the iPhone with the steering wheel controls.
Edit: something like this: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pievwpcpod.html

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 11, 2012

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Brock Landers posted:

You could get a cd changer adapter from a place like logjamelectronics.com. I had a 2006 jetta once and this is what I did. It's a box that plugs into the cd changer port on the back of the factory stereo and gives you a headphone jack. I got one that gave me a 30 pin dock connector and even let me control the iPhone with the steering wheel controls.
Edit: something like this: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pievwpcpod.html

You are my loving hero. Problem solved. I'm literally about to buy this right now.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there really no way to sync a Ipod touch via USB?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
That's not really surprising to me, syncing the iPod via USB is sort of a separate animal from in-app-data syncing, I thought.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

het posted:

That's not really surprising to me, syncing the iPod via USB is sort of a separate animal from in-app-data syncing, I thought.

From what I've gathered you can sync pre Ipod Touch mp3 players with a USB cord with Spotify on the PC. You can only sync an Ipod touch via wireless. This is a pain because I've switched over to Spotify as my default mp3 player and I have to sync at 5 songs a minute.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there an app or something that will alert me whenever an artist I have in one of my playlists releases a new song/album?

Edit: Also as far as my problem for some reason syncing runs a lot smoother if I keep Spotify active while syncing so I just play songs on my iPod and it syncs much more smoothly now.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Looks like you can sign up for Spotify again without going through Facebook. At the sign up page near the bottom there is a link to sign up using an email address. It lets you pick a Spotify username and password so you don't need to gently caress around with German proxies anymore if you don't want Facebook or you don't want to share everything on Facebook.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm using Equalify (Desktop Spotify Equalizer) and DsBridge (streams Spotify through Playstation Media Server). The problem is, both programs use a version of the file dsound.dll, but each file is incompatible with the other program.

I'm assuming the files have some data in common since they have the same name, but I don't know a lot about working with dll files. Opening the files in notepad just reveals gibberish, so it's not like they're simple bat or config files. Does anyone use one or the other of these programs? Any ideas on getting them to play nice with each other? I'm currently keeping the dll files in separate subfolders and copying them in as needed.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Undead Zombie posted:

Looks like you can sign up for Spotify again without going through Facebook. At the sign up page near the bottom there is a link to sign up using an email address. It lets you pick a Spotify username and password so you don't need to gently caress around with German proxies anymore if you don't want Facebook or you don't want to share everything on Facebook.

This is excellent news.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I'm constantly having the same issue here. I download a playlist to my Samsung GS3 which is running the latest version, it downloads all the songs and plays fine for a while. Then next time I'm somewhere without any reception it'll all have disappeared. When I'm back online and press the download button again it completes it all immediately. It clearly still has the songs, but they become marked as not downloaded somehow? This keeps happening to the same couple of playlists - my newest playlists. It looks like I'm not the only one with this issue but does anyone know anything else about it?

I listen to a lot of music while I'm in places without reception (abroad or on the subway) and it's become infuriating to be somewhere not have any of the music I just downloaded.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really itching for some advanced playlist options. Better organization would be really great for managing my massive library of starred songs.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I wish it would display your listening trends in a more readable way, something more akin to last.fm. Clearly it records the same type of data but the only spot I know where I can check it is Facebook and it does a terrible job of cataloguing the music I listen to.

And I know I can sync my last.fm account to it, but I've more or less abandoned last.fm because it's overwhelmed with entries from 7 years ago when I thought every playlist needed a song by The Shins.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I just wish I could sort loving playlists on my android.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Admin Understudy posted:

I wish it would display your listening trends in a more readable way, something more akin to last.fm. Clearly it records the same type of data but the only spot I know where I can check it is Facebook and it does a terrible job of cataloguing the music I listen to.

And I know I can sync my last.fm account to it, but I've more or less abandoned last.fm because it's overwhelmed with entries from 7 years ago when I thought every playlist needed a song by The Shins.

You can just tell it to remove the Shins from your library. Mine was like that for a while because I listened to Rilo Kiley nonstop for some reason.

I wish your play queue was shared between computers...

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
There are so many things that would make Spotify better... for me:

- A media library view showing all your local music plus everything you've added to a playlist or starred. I would love to use this instead a loving playlist per album
- Genres. This would make sorting music so much easier.
- Smart playlists.
- Choosing save location on my phone (only way to do it is install the old version, set it there, then the new one. you can't change it once you've done it)
- A way of automatically syncing all my playlists excluding all my local files. A guess smart playlists would sort this out anyway.
- A way to automatically pick up a queue/playlist from where I stopped playing on another device.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How often do your top artists/songs get updated? Because my top artist and all my top songs have been Grimes for like forever and I'm pretty sure I dont listen to her *that* much.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

How often do your top artists/songs get updated? Because my top artist and all my top songs have been Grimes for like forever and I'm pretty sure I dont listen to her *that* much.
I think it only counts plays from the actual artist/album pages. So playlists dont count. My top pages are completely wrong as well.

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

sweek0 posted:

I'm constantly having the same issue here. I download a playlist to my Samsung GS3 which is running the latest version, it downloads all the songs and plays fine for a while. Then next time I'm somewhere without any reception it'll all have disappeared. When I'm back online and press the download button again it completes it all immediately. It clearly still has the songs, but they become marked as not downloaded somehow? This keeps happening to the same couple of playlists - my newest playlists. It looks like I'm not the only one with this issue but does anyone know anything else about it?

I listen to a lot of music while I'm in places without reception (abroad or on the subway) and it's become infuriating to be somewhere not have any of the music I just downloaded.

I am having the same issue. Wanted to listen to the new The xx album on the way home, and it wasn't there. Got home and connected to WiFi and it popped up. I had signal walking home so I don't know what its problem was, but I think its the phone (GS2) - I can not stream songs through Spotify no matter how strong the signal because everytime without fail it will cut out with a couple of minutes left. If I unlock the screen, wait for the signal indicator to pop up, it will stream the rest of the track but I am not doing that every 4 or 5 minutes.

And nthing the ridiculous playlists. Only being able to add albums as a self contained playlist, rather than adding it to an existing playlist is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've done some searching, but haven't found a consistent (or effective) answer. Using the desktop software on Windows 7, I'm having a problem where the program won't play my local files consecutively. The program will play the first song in my playlist, but then the seek bar disappears and the next song simply won't play. If I skip ahead then back it'll play, but then the same issue happens with the next song.

Some people say it's a codec issue, some say it's an associations issue, but neither solution is working. Any ideas?

• Locked thread