Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Mr Dog posted:

http://masseffect-multiplayer-things.tumblr.com/

so uh yeah apparently this thing exists

There are so many things wrong with this image...

I laughed at how this:

was followed almost immediately by this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm quite sure I would like the Slayer much more if he didn't suffer from horrible input lag that caused my PD to fire really slowly and stand around like a loving dipshit not charging which gets me killed way more that I should.

Nobody else seems to have this problem and I'm using a new controller so I don't know what the gently caress :psyduck:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hahaha, this blog has the standard tumblr stupidity, but some of it's pretty great.

:rock:

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

LogicNinja posted:

I just unlocked the Demolisher today too. Great for FWB/G/G, but I'm not sure how well I'll do in real Gold games. Probably not very--whenever I have to take on even a centurion or Marauder one-on-one, I get shot to death, probably because I'm lovely at shooting.

What guns do people use with the Demolisher? I tried Typhoon I, but wasn't very impressed; I've been going Saber IV/Hurricane 1 or Piranha X and switching depending on the situation.

I also recently got the Demolisher. I like the Typhoon, but I just can't give up the Falcon for the AR slot. It may not be optimal, but I love stun locking enemies (especially phantoms) too much to give it up.

For the other gun, I'd use the Hurricane if you have one. The Piranha also works. Something short range, with a high rate of fire.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What is regarded as the best shadow build? I know there was discussion about shadow strike damage earlier. Whats the consensus?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What is regarded as the best shadow build? I know there was discussion about shadow strike damage earlier. Whats the consensus?

I'm absolutely poo poo at Infiltrator generally, but a melee-specced Shadow makes me feel like an absolute loving badass against Cerberus. The big deal is Additional Power Use and +Duration evolutions on Tactical Cloak.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

VJeff posted:

Hahaha, this blog has the standard tumblr stupidity, but some of it's pretty great.

:rock:

Is it weird that I can pick out the exact location in Ghost that's set in? Also what's with the twins?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Fingers McLongDong posted:

6/4/6/5/5 or 6/3/6/5/6

E-Slash is kind of a dump stat since it does way less damage than B-Slash (Power Synergy!) or Smash and has that silly windup animation. Fitness 6 doesn't give bonuses to SS but you can still make a case for the armor bonus since armored things are usually big and slow enough to hack to death with regular melee.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 4, 2012

Biotic Charge Power (all kits excluding the Krogan)
- Base force increased from 600 to 650

Submission Net Power
- Base cooldown reduced from 8 to 6 seconds
- Base damage increased from 350 to 600
- Rank 3 damage and duration bonuses increased from 20% to 30%
- Evolve 1 damage bonus increased from 30% to 40%
- Evolve 3 damage bonus increased from 30% to 40%
- Evolve 4 cooldown bonus increased from 35% to 45%
- Evolve 6 electric pulse frequency increased from 1.5 to 1 second
- Evolve 6 electric pulse base damage increased from 100 to 150

Turian Sentinel
- Starting encumbrance capacity increased from 40% to 50%

Turian Soldier
- Starting encumbrance capacity increased from 55% to 65%

Turian & Batarian Fitness Power
- Base health/shield bonus increased from 15% to 25%
- Rank 2 health/shield bonus increased from 10% to 15%
- Evolve 2 health/shield bonus increased from 15% to 20%
- Evolve 6 health/shield bonus increased from 25% to 30% 

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 4, 2012

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like this "buff Biotic Charge again every week" thing they're doing. They should keep doing that thing.

And it's a nice gesture to make turians more chunky, but if they really wanna do something appreciable, they should make turians and krogans stagger-proof like the Destroyer.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Gigantic buff for the Net. 600 base damage actually adds up to something after power bonuses.

pacman
May 7, 2003

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Submission net was already awesome. It can even incapacitate Phantoms.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

KnoxZone posted:

code:
September 4, 2012

Biotic Charge Power (all kits excluding the Krogan)
- Base force increased from 600 to 650

Pretty sure this means non asari/cerberus vanguards will be able to take area charge and still stagger phantoms. Not sure why they keep buffing charge but I'm not about to complain.
(E: That is, AV and CV could take area and stagger them before, thanks their unique passive skills. Now all vanguards can.)

What with the Turian buffs too hopefully all the starter classes will be buffed in some way so they can keep up with the N7's and recent enemy buffs.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 5, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
They just added a change to the patch notes. The Turian fitness buff now applies to Batarians also.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I'm kitting out a Batarian Sentinel now... and I must say, the changes are nice... very nice!

All 6 evolutions in Fitness for Health/Shields gives you 1425 each, for a total of 2850.

Submission net, specced for damage and DoT, with Batarian Enforcer at 5 points for max power damage, yields 1455 damage, and a sub-2 second cooldown with a Pirahna Mk X equipped (195% cooldown!) and 318.75 damage per second DoT in a 6m area around the affected target.

:fap:

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
Batarian Sentinel may be my new favorite class now. It was already with Turian Sentinel as a "detonate everyone's poo poo" class, but SN being able to do solid damage on its own (plus being easier to detonate yourself with reduced cooldown) means it can vaguely stand up to Overload for trash. Also, nifty trick for people about to jump onto the Batarian bandwagon: Use Shockwave to stagger things to set them up for the Net, to deal with the dodging problem. If you keep cooldowns minimal (you should) Shockwave is a great setup for falcon punches and shooting, too.

pacman
May 7, 2003

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I am playing a pink Batarian Sentinel and I joined a game that happened to have 2 other Batarians wearing pink in it. We all kind of meleed at each other to show our pink Batarian pride. Pink Krogan aren't nearly as stylish as pink Batarians.

edit: Earlier today playing as a Salarian Scientist I joined a lobby with a Krogan Vanguard, Soldier and Sentinel. I said "sorry about the Genophage, guys" but I don't think anyone got the joke or I was the only one with a mic.

pacman fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 5, 2012

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I like to imagine they keep buffing charge because people aren't using it as much as they want (to avoid vanguard glitching), and Bioware thinks the reason is because people feel it is underpowered. :allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is hitting something with Submission Net, then Shockwaving it for a Tech Burst a viable strategy for the BatSent now?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pacman posted:

I am playing a pink Batarian Sentinel and I joined a game that happened to have 2 other Batarians wearing pink in it. We all kind of meleed at each other to show our pink Batarian pride. Pink Krogan aren't nearly as stylish as pink Batarians.

I have a pink Batarian too! I've noticed a lot of Batarians with pink in their armor as well. It just works with that menacing scowl and those fat thighs.

VJeff posted:

Is hitting something with Submission Net, then Shockwaving it for a Tech Burst a viable strategy for the BatSent now?

I think Shockwave/Sub Net/Shockwave is a nice (if lengthy) combo. The initial Shockwave staggers to allow Sub Net to hit, and then Shockwave for the tech burst. Probably only viable on higher difficulties because on Bronze and Silver things will be dying too quickly (or there aren't enough tightly-packed enemies) to set up a tech burst. On the other hand, you could skip the initial Shockwave on lower difficulties since enemies are less likely to dodge there.

Edit:

VJeff posted:

I like this "buff Biotic Charge again every week" thing they're doing. They should keep doing that thing.

And it's a nice gesture to make turians more chunky, but if they really wanna do something appreciable, they should make turians and krogans stagger-proof like the Destroyer.

Or at least give them a goddamned roll.

kalel fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 5, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Vanguards have now overtaken Asari Adepts for surefire Phantom killing. It's amazing.

Also, I just played a game with three batarian sentinels. I hadn't seen the update yet and it was the most surreal moment. Twenty solid minutes of whockawhockawhockawhockaZAP.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
I just visited vanguard rapture for the first time :allears:

...which is odd since I play vanguard a lot and you guys make it sound pretty common.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Or at least give them a goddamned roll.

Being staggered is basically a death sentence for a krogan, turian or batarian. On one end of the spectrum, you've got insanely mobile classes that can get away from bad spots and on the other you've got the immovable Destroyer.

If Bioware is serious about getting those old classes good again, they gotta do one or the other here.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Submission Net is really good now. Even if you don't take any recharge speed upgrades, and you spec blade armor for DR instead of recharge, you can still spam that thing like throw.

Carry a shotgun and smash things.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
This occasion calls for a Falcon-toting, yellow-and-black Batarian Sentinel shooting nets all over the place.

FINISH HIM! :unsmigghh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just saw a guy spawn into a game after the rest of the team was wiped and he had several assault troopers shooting at him, a grenade thrown at his feet and a Guardian bashing him in the face before he had even gained control. Spectacular.

Anywho, with the BatSent being buffed, anybody have any loadouts they'd like to share?

MJeff fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 5, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VJeff posted:

I just saw a guy spawn into a game after the rest of the team was wiped and he had several assault troopers shooting at him, a grenade thrown at his feet and a Guardian bashing him in the face before he had even gained control. Spectacular.

Anywho, with the BatSent being buffed, anybody have any loadouts they'd like to share?

I maintain BatSents should always, always use a Kishock, because it is just so Batarian to fire a massive spike through a Guardian's shield.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Two Finger posted:

I maintain BatSents should always, always use a Kishock, because it is just so Batarian to fire a massive spike through a Guardian's shield.

I just played a game to check out the submission net, specced him to leave out shockwave and max all else, and I mainly used the Kishock. I was hosting, so it was pretty fun, although it's kind of hard to get the hang of it. Another fun discovery: when I threw the net at Phantoms they would put up their bubble, so I obviously took the opportunity to harpoon them in the face. Surprise! The bubble also blocks the majority of damage from the Kishock, for some drat reason.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
A reminder for all the new Batarian Sentinels, Submission Net can be placed on floors to set up traps for enemies that like to dodge the power when it's aimed at them. Also, you can arc it around corners and cover just like biotic powers too.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

EvanSchenck posted:

I just played a game to check out the submission net, specced him to leave out shockwave and max all else, and I mainly used the Kishock. I was hosting, so it was pretty fun, although it's kind of hard to get the hang of it. Another fun discovery: when I threw the net at Phantoms they would put up their bubble, so I obviously took the opportunity to harpoon them in the face. Surprise! The bubble also blocks the majority of damage from the Kishock, for some drat reason.

Did they do a somersault as they were bubbling? Another bit of bullshit about Phantoms I've seen mentioned here is something about them getting damage resistance while somersaulting. Though I wouldn't put it past Bioware to make Phantoms take less damage from projectile weapons while the shield's up, intentionally or not.

Also, I'm torn with BatSents now. I actually had mine specced out of Submission Net, because I wanted a max health + defenses biotic detonating machine. But now I want the Net again. Guess the way to go now's going to be 6/6/6/0/6 or 0/6/6/6/6 based on how you feel about Blade Armor? I really like the ammo boost on the racial passive, but I think that's better kept for my Claymorin' BS.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MrDude posted:

Did they do a somersault as they were bubbling? Another bit of bullshit about Phantoms I've seen mentioned here is something about them getting damage resistance while somersaulting. Though I wouldn't put it past Bioware to make Phantoms take less damage from projectile weapons while the shield's up, intentionally or not.

Also, I'm torn with BatSents now. I actually had mine specced out of Submission Net, because I wanted a max health + defenses biotic detonating machine. But now I want the Net again. Guess the way to go now's going to be 6/6/6/0/6 or 0/6/6/6/6 based on how you feel about Blade Armor? I really like the ammo boost on the racial passive, but I think that's better kept for my Claymorin' BS.

These days I never employ a build that leaves one skill with zero points (unless it's the passive). It's just a good strategy to have as many options as possible during combat. Unless you are the human adept--you wanna lose that Singularity poo poo as soon as possible, son.

Currently my (pre-buff) BatSen is specced 6/6/3/5/6 for maximum stylishness.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SciFiDownBeat posted:

These days I never employ a build that leaves one skill with zero points (unless it's Shockwave, Incinerate, N7 missile launcher, Carnage ...)

It's not good strategy to invest in subpar powers when the tradeoff is survivability and maximizing the effectiveness of your good ones. Respec cards are cheap if the time comes Bioware changes a skill, but you have 'options' from maxing out the good stuff, too.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Psion posted:

It's not good strategy to invest in subpar powers when the tradeoff is survivability and maximizing the effectiveness of your good ones. Respec cards are cheap if the time comes Bioware changes a skill, but you have 'options' from maxing out the good stuff, too.

I guess it's really class- and playstyle-dependent. For example, 6/6/0/6/6 is pretty much standard on Vorcha Soldiers (Carnage), Human/Cerb Adepts (Singularity), the N7 Destroyer (Hawk Missile Launcher), and Human Vanguards (Shockwave), but for most classes it's a toss-up. Carnage can be useful on the Krogan Soldier, Incinerate on the Krogan Sentinel/Human Engineer/Salarian Engineer, Shockwave on the Batarian Sentinel/Human Adept, Pull on the Justicar Adept/Drell Adept, etc.

That said, I'm constantly respeccing different classes depending on new strategies, balance changes, or challenging/fun ideas about how to play them.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dHlsswewrM

I really want to try this.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

MrDude posted:

Did they do a somersault as they were bubbling?

No, they were just doing their action crouch with the blue bubble that neutralizes powers. They freeze in place for about a second when they do that, so I would scope in and give them a fully charge harpoon to their faces. The times I pulled headshots that without the bubble, such as when I was actually able to snare them with the net, or when their head was visible in cover, it was an instant kill even from full barriers (I was using a rail amp, if it matters). When they had the bubble up, it only did for about half their barrier. I know I was laying clean hits to the head, because the harpoons persist for a few seconds and they were running around with giant goddamn spikes jutting out of their heads. I'm thinking it's yet another dumbass bug from the people who brought you "shockwave doesn't work past wave 6".

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Psion posted:

Eh. There are a lot of classes I just don't bother to take the race rank 6 on because I don't need the extra weapon-specific weight or the weapon damage. Why not have another option at rank 3 for such a sacrifice?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

BrokenKnees posted:

A reminder for all the new Batarian Sentinels, Submission Net can be placed on floors to set up traps for enemies that like to dodge the power when it's aimed at them. Also, you can arc it around corners and cover just like biotic powers too.

Another reminder is to aim Submission net above the mob your targeting. So if your mob does roll, the net will arc downwards and plaster the floor, to which the mob will then strafe back into in attempts to mar your ruggedly handsome Batarian face.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Well that was nice, two gold games in around 20 minutes each. Destroyer, Demolisher, and me as a Krogan Soldier. So many grenades. I think I saw more fire explosions in one game than in the countless hours I've played this before combined.

Also probably the first game I've ever played where no one used a single missile

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

So I did pretty good on my PSPs today.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

EvanSchenck posted:

No, they were just doing their action crouch with the blue bubble that neutralizes powers. They freeze in place for about a second when they do that, so I would scope in and give them a fully charge harpoon to their faces. The times I pulled headshots that without the bubble, such as when I was actually able to snare them with the net, or when their head was visible in cover, it was an instant kill even from full barriers (I was using a rail amp, if it matters). When they had the bubble up, it only did for about half their barrier. I know I was laying clean hits to the head, because the harpoons persist for a few seconds and they were running around with giant goddamn spikes jutting out of their heads. I'm thinking it's yet another dumbass bug from the people who brought you "shockwave doesn't work past wave 6".

Phantoms get ~40% damage resistance when moving including just walking or running and obviously flipping around. They also definitely get damage resistance from gunfire when the shield is up, as well as full immunity from powers :fuckoff:

The bullshit shield is already a stupid gameplay idea and would be way too powerful even if it just blocked powers. I'm not sure if the weapon resistance is intentional or not, but I also heard it affects projectile weapons more than hitscan ones, which I'm more inclined to believe if a fully charged kishok shot to the head, with amps, took off half the barrier where it was one-shotting them before. Really cant see that being intentional. We need a bioware version of :dice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Really like the buff to submission net and Turian/Batarians. Not sure if Vanguards and Krogans need any more buffs, but what the hell?

I've gotten really lucky with my gun unlocks with specter packs (far less lucky with character unlocks, only one N7 and only a couple aliens), and thanks to yesterday's pack, I now have my favorite gun by far.

Just for the record: the Hurricane, Piranha, Black Widow, Typhoon, Claymore, GPS, and Falcon are all 'good'. I 'like' them. I especially like the falcon's stun-lock effect.

But I LOVE the Indra more than all of them combined. No other gun in the game even comes close, as far as I'm concerned. After struggling for weeks in silver, with the Indra I feel like I'm in bronze again.

• Locked thread