Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

horchata posted:

Does anyone have a problem with their Leap where the lumbar support would move up after a certain period of time? I'm not sure if it's because the little dips are worn out or because the support is moving where it's supposed to be. I doubt it's the latter because it's moving 2 spaces from the top and I'm only 5'6".

It's because the leap is poorly made. My lumbar support when I had it at work never stayed in one spot.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stool (I decided to build a standing desk at home) or something similar for the times when I wish to sit and play/work at my home desk? I do have a large yoga ball that could be propped up in one of those stand things, but i don't know how that'd work for longer periods of me being lazy, or if it'd be high enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, I must be looking in the wrong places or I just suck at Google/craigslist. Where can I find a good chair? I don't need the 1k herman millers etc, but I want something above the lovely staples/walmart chairs (Just had another $150 walmart chair break on me). I just can't seem to find any surplus stores or whatever.

The worst part is the company I work for has 100+ chairs sitting out in the open that they're not using because they upgraded our chairs last year. Yes, they've been sitting there for almost 8 months. They won't sell them either.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I've lusted after an Aeron for years after reading about them here an elsewhere. Finally got one at my new job and... I hate it. I like that everything is adjustable but it's all hard and horrible. The $200 leather executive chair I have at home is like heaven in comparison.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It might not be super cushy but it won't give you any back pain.

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011
Anyone here have a Steelcase Amia?

I found a local dealership and tried the Leap, Think, and Amia. The Leap was nice but probably out of my price range, the Think was kinda unimpressive, even though it's above the Amia, and the Amia seemed like it would be a nice fit between $$$$ and ergonomics. But I'm wondering if anyone has any long-term impressions about them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, I must be looking in the wrong places or I just suck at Google/craigslist. Where can I find a good chair? I don't need the 1k herman millers etc, but I want something above the lovely staples/walmart chairs (Just had another $150 walmart chair break on me). I just can't seem to find any surplus stores or whatever.

The worst part is the company I work for has 100+ chairs sitting out in the open that they're not using because they upgraded our chairs last year. Yes, they've been sitting there for almost 8 months. They won't sell them either.
What state/city/country are you in? I find it hard to believe that you can't find a single surplus store if you're in America.

Cojawfee posted:

It might not be super cushy but it won't give you any back pain.
Not necessarily. There are much better ergonomic chairs than the Aeron, and there are plenty of ergonomic chairs that are nice and cushy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

western eyes posted:

Anyone here have a Steelcase Amia?

I found a local dealership and tried the Leap, Think, and Amia. The Leap was nice but probably out of my price range, the Think was kinda unimpressive, even though it's above the Amia, and the Amia seemed like it would be a nice fit between $$$$ and ergonomics. But I'm wondering if anyone has any long-term impressions about them.

The Amia doesn't look like it has seat depth options. And it looks like it has the standard Steelcase depth of "halfway under the seat back." If you can set them up right, Steelcase chairs feel pretty nice. But right out of the box, it feels like they are trying to squeeze me out of the chair.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

The Amia doesn't look like it has seat depth options.
Steelcase's website says it does have adjustable seat depth.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Gothmog1065 posted:

Tried eBay? Likely won't be as good a deal as craigslist, but if you're in a smaller city you're unlikely to find any at all on craigslist.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What should I look at specifically for a seat in which I have to be there for 14 hours straight? I recently got a work from home situation that has me working 2 14 hour shifts back to back with just enough time to sleep in between. I don't want to gently caress up my back any more than I already have.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
For something like that I bet the investment in a motorised sit/stand desk would be much better than any one chair. Or both if you can afford it!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

~Coxy posted:

For something like that I bet the investment in a motorised sit/stand desk would be much better than any one chair. Or both if you can afford it!
Yeah, this. Even the best ergonomic chair is bad for you if you spend all your time in it. Get up and move around a lot, even walking around and stretching a bit every hour or so helps. If you can get a sit/stand station, try to stand at least 1/3 of the time. And adjust your chair position often - as soon as it starts to hurt, change it so it doesn't.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Anybody know where I can find a Steel case Criterion arm-rest + the metal beam that the arm rest sits on. I could find replacement cushions but not the whole armrest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Finally got a chance to try out an Aeron and a Mirra at Scotland's only Herman Miller dealership. The Mirra is definitely the chair I want, but it'd cost me £600. I could get an Aeron refurb for £450, but I found the tilt mechanism a bit stiff and it doesn't support my shoulders so well. Anyone know of a source for cheap Mirras in the UK?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I bought this 1100$ herman miller chair, and it's comfortable and all - but my old $50 staples chair was just as comfortable I think. my cat loving loves that old chair too, and it's completely white now from him sitting constantly on it. if I even try to sit down on it now, he jumps on the back of the chair and basically sits on my head until I leave.

I can't help feeling guilty every time I go to sit in my expensive rear end chair, because it was expensive as gently caress and basically has made very little difference in my everyday life. someone else might have been able to afford some completely awesome life changing thing with 1100$. and in fact, I think my back might even be worse off because I spent all this money on this chair.

gently caress this gay earth.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jedit posted:

Finally got a chance to try out an Aeron and a Mirra at Scotland's only Herman Miller dealership. The Mirra is definitely the chair I want, but it'd cost me £600. I could get an Aeron refurb for £450, but I found the tilt mechanism a bit stiff and it doesn't support my shoulders so well. Anyone know of a source for cheap Mirras in the UK?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mirra+chair&_sacat=0

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

mindphlux posted:

I bought this 1100$ herman miller chair, and it's comfortable and all - but my old $50 staples chair was just as comfortable I think. my cat loving loves that old chair too, and it's completely white now from him sitting constantly on it. if I even try to sit down on it now, he jumps on the back of the chair and basically sits on my head until I leave.

I can't help feeling guilty every time I go to sit in my expensive rear end chair, because it was expensive as gently caress and basically has made very little difference in my everyday life. someone else might have been able to afford some completely awesome life changing thing with 1100$. and in fact, I think my back might even be worse off because I spent all this money on this chair.

gently caress this gay earth.

Sorry to hear that bruh. :allears:

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Sorry to hear that bruh. :allears:

What? He's about right, unless you have some sort of pre-existing back condition Aerons and the like are uncomfortable piles of over hyped junk. I wish I could swap my work one for another of the $200 no name specials I have at home.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

EvilMuppet posted:

What? He's about right, unless you have some sort of pre-existing back condition Aerons and the like are uncomfortable piles of over hyped junk. I wish I could swap my work one for another of the $200 no name specials I have at home.

Clearly we need to set up some sort of goonthrone-exchange program for you spoiled brats who don't like your Aerons, and those of us with legit spine problems who are stuck in used $50 Office Max specials for 9 hours a day.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

EvilMuppet posted:

They... Really aren't. The difference between sitting 8 hours a day in a cheap Office Max chair and a fully adjustable ergonomic chair is that the ergonomic chair won't loving INJURE you if used correctly.

It could be that the one at your work isn't the right fit for you personally and there's a better chair out there for you (that actually has ergonomic adjustments). Of course more money /= better, but a blanket statement about all ergonomic chairs like you made is totally untrue.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

if used correctly.

This is pretty nebulous territory as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm a massive fan of the Steelcase Think for that reason - there's not a huge amount in the way of adjustment once you've got the seat height and depth sorted, along with the arm rests. The back just sort of supports you however you want to sit in it, and it's a world of improvement over some of the poo poo I've had to deal with before.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

This is pretty nebulous territory as well.
The ways I've seen people sit in their chairs because they simply don't know how to adjust them... It would make you cry. That and people sitting in chairs not the right size for them, at all.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The ways I've seen people sit in their chairs because they simply don't know how to adjust them... It would make you cry. That and people sitting in chairs not the right size for them, at all.

I'm 6'7" and have to sit in a non-adjustable Herman Miller Reaction (size B) with a missing arm for 9.5 hours a day, so

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They... Really aren't. The difference between sitting 8 hours a day in a cheap Office Max chair and a fully adjustable ergonomic chair is that the ergonomic chair won't loving INJURE you if used correctly.

It could be that the one at your work isn't the right fit for you personally and there's a better chair out there for you (that actually has ergonomic adjustments). Of course more money /= better, but a blanket statement about all ergonomic chairs like you made is totally untrue.

my posture is provably worse in my fully adjusted $1100 Embody, than in my $50 no name old chair. I have no idea why. I adjusted everything according to the instructions and guides I found on the internet on forums like this.

the embody feels more comfortable to sit in, and is a much nicer quality chair, but at the end of the day my back hurts more often now and I have to like stretch and pop my back and poo poo I never had to do before. (though it's not like my back wasn't hurting before - there is a reason I got this dumb ergonomic chair)

don't get me wrong, I love the chair, and really all I'm complaining about is feeling like a consumer whore with first world problems - but it's just a loving dumb chair. a loving dumb $1100 chair.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 7, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The embody is a very nice chair but it's really not a $1100 nice chair. And it's not a one-size fits all chair either sadly. It sounds to me like it's not the right size for you.

Unfortunately it's really, really hard to find somewhere to try out ergonomic chairs of all different brands and sizes. There is a chair out there for each person, but unless you work for an awesome company that will bring in a good ergonomist and then spring for the chair, you probably won't find it. It is a pretty frustrating industry.

Splizwarf posted:

I'm 6'7" and have to sit in a non-adjustable Herman Miller Reaction (size B) with a missing arm for 9.5 hours a day, so
gently caress, that is dire.

PS: My company has run into the same problem a few times recently that you mentioned earlier in the thread - our chair for extremely tall people only has a 300 lb weight rating. I've been trying to get them to consider making a version that holds 350 lbs, but it's not really cost effective for them to develop it. :/

We do have 350 and 400 lb chairs, but they don't have the seat depth or height for people with extra long legs.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 7, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the problem is the companies make chairs to be comfortable to sit in, but the only way to make money is to sell in bulk to companies. The companies don't really care about what the char is as long as it looks professional, so they buy poo poo tons of them. It's not very cost effective to sell chairs to individuals so the only way to get access to them is to have tried several (which I've had the chance to, fitting up new buildings at work), or hope some liquidator has a decent selection. So you end up with consumers who have no idea there is an entire industry for making chairs that won't hurt them because there's no easy way for them to acquire said chairs.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I think the problem is the companies make chairs to be comfortable to sit in, but the only way to make money is to sell in bulk to companies. The companies don't really care about what the char is as long as it looks professional, so they buy poo poo tons of them. It's not very cost effective to sell chairs to individuals so the only way to get access to them is to have tried several (which I've had the chance to, fitting up new buildings at work), or hope some liquidator has a decent selection. So you end up with consumers who have no idea there is an entire industry for making chairs that won't hurt them because there's no easy way for them to acquire said chairs.
Very true, you hit the nail on the head. My company didn't even have a way to deal with customers who walk in off the street until one of our employees spun off and became a dealer specializing in that (we don't sell factory direct).

I do individual chair fittings all the time, but not for the income we get from that chair sale. Its because its a great service to that company, who will then remember us when the next huge project to fill up a building comes along.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 7, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's the heaviest-weight/duty gas cylinder and legs available (individually, not by pallet or something)? At this point I am inclined to build myself something out of a luxury car seat. I work in the car industry so this is not going to be "too weird" (it qualifies as "employee enthusiasm"), but the lightest decent seat will still be probably 80 lbs.

Unlike the chair industry, I can test the hell out of car seats. :v:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Splizwarf posted:

What's the heaviest-weight/duty gas cylinder and legs available (individually, not by pallet or something)? At this point I am inclined to build myself something out of a luxury car seat. I work in the car industry so this is not going to be "too weird" (it qualifies as "employee enthusiasm"), but the lightest decent seat will still be probably 80 lbs.

Unlike the chair industry, I can test the hell out of car seats. :v:

Please make sure to post the build and results.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Parts for chairs are even harder to find than chairs themselves. I can order them from our factory for warranty issues and such, but I don't really know any other avenues to get specialty cylinders and chair bases.

I think you should find the ideal height and then build your custom car seat chair to exactly that height without worrying about chair cylinders or bases. I personally think car seats are generally even worse ergonomically than most office chairs, but if you can find something that makes you comfortable, do it.

And yeah, post the results.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Someone in AI posted his car seat mod a while back. He took the whole thing out and put it on a standard office chair castor set, then wired up a little battery to power the adjustments.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Lifeform chairs are hands down the best chair out there. They are also one of the most expensive chairs out there, starting at 1600 dollars and going up from there depending on how you customize it. I sat in one at a relax the back store. Well I sat in two models, and both were amazing. They are made in Alberta Canada, and they are pure memory foam, both back and seat, with your choice of covering. I sit in a Herman Miller chair at work, and it was crap compared to the Lifeform chair.

They even have an insert on the seat that you can remove, to relieve pressure on the spine.

It is my dream chair and some day I will work up the nerve to save the money and buy one.

http://www.relaxtheback.com/office/ergonomic-chairs/executive-chairs/lifeform-ultimate-high-back-executive-office-chair.html

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's sad that Relax the Back is one of the only consumer avenues to ergonomic seating, as (in my opinion) their chairs are either horrible crap or obscenely overpriced with nothing in between.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's sad that Relax the Back is one of the only consumer avenues to ergonomic seating, as (in my opinion) their chairs are either horrible crap or obscenely overpriced with nothing in between.

Well, you can order the chairs they sell there from other retailers. It is nice to have a place to try out the chairs. The price for the Lifeform chair is pretty much the same price you get on the Lifeform site itself if you order direct.

All the chairs I saw at the store I went to were the standards mentioned in this thread. None of them were no name crap. But yeah, they don't have any chairs that are reasonably priced and good for your back.

Of course if you buy a really great chair, it is an investment for your back, and it should last for at least a decade if not more. I spent 2300 on my TV, and I use it far less than I use my computer chair.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I picked up a Think from Amazon and it's pretty good, but I don't totally love it. Maybe if I add the headrest and lumbar support, because I feel like those two things aren't quite what I wanted. I feel like the lumbar support is too weak or too high up, I'm not sure. Also the lack of a headrest bugs me, but the option from Steelcase isn't great. At least both can add it after.

At the time I ordered it, Amazon had it mis-categoriezed or something, because it was only priced at $500 with free shipping. Hard to turn that down.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
I can't believe I'd be the only one who wants a closed arm leather chair that doesn't look like this: http://images.hayneedle.com/mgen/master:HSR184.jpg

I had a sweet chair that I got from staples about 5 years ago that I wore the vinyl off of - it looked about like this: http://www.staples.com/Executive-Chairs/product_BSXVL121EN11

Any help?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If you're willing to spend $276, here: http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/Office-Master/BC-Collection/Office-Master-BC98-p144.html

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's not a closed-arm chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

That's not a closed-arm chair.
It's a fixed loop. Functionally they're the same. If that's not what he wants then I guess he can keep looking.