Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I did DCLSIC when I was at Georgetown, and man, representing indigent tenants is the weirdest poo poo ever in a city with strong tenants rights. Like yeah, they haven't paid in like a year but it still is going to take three months to get them out, so why don't you offer to pay their moving costs?

Most of the indigent tenant cases I took were like that except nobody involved had clean hands. Usually some client wouldn't pay for a month or two and then their slumlord would commit some egregious violation (like taking the doors off the unit to compel them to pay), turning an otherwise boring eviction case into a battle royale of claims and counterclaims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I did some brief work on a sovereign citizen case this summer... it's incredibly frustrating because you're not even really sure how to respond to their gibberish and you have to look through all these huge omnibus bills they cite to.

It'd be like getting into a boxing ring and as soon as the bell rings the other boxer starts screaming and crabwalking: there's no question you're going to win, but that doesn't make the experience any more familiar.

Tanicius
Sep 3, 2012

Omerta posted:

I did some brief work on a sovereign citizen case this summer... it's incredibly frustrating because you're not even really sure how to respond to their gibberish and you have to look through all these huge omnibus bills they cite to.

It'd be like getting into a boxing ring and as soon as the bell rings the other boxer starts screaming and crabwalking: there's no question you're going to win, but that doesn't make the experience any more familiar.

How come you're so worried about responding to what they're saying? Your true audience is the judge. If something isn't applicable to the issue and it'll be obvious to the judge, just say it's not applicable and move on. No point wasting words on trying to get an insane person to see the light.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

It sucks, because this client was very vulnerable. The scammers prey on those who are facing foreclosure and are desperate for answers. There's an informal network of scammers who sell "mortgage audits" and teach people how to invalidate their mortgage for a few thousand bucks. The scammer is long gone but the damage is done. The client bought in (they flatly reject discussing that they burned their last few grand on a scam), and they're very psychologically vulnerable.

I've got a forceable detainer hearing on Thursday. Same situation, this lady has tried everything to save her house. Not much meat on the bones and she filed a sovereign citizen federal lawsuit.

It's pro bono so I'm not going near that federal suit.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Roger_Mudd posted:

I've got a forceable detainer hearing on Thursday. Same situation, this lady has tried everything to save her house. Not much meat on the bones and she filed a sovereign citizen federal lawsuit.

Was the notice given correctly? That's usually the first thing I'd look at if given a hopeless eviction case. Most landlords I ran up against couldn't give a conforming notice if their life depended on it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

GamingHyena posted:

Was the notice given correctly? That's usually the first thing I'd look at if given a hopeless eviction case. Most landlords I ran up against couldn't give a conforming notice if their life depended on it.

It's post foreclosure eviction. I actually think the county court lacks jurisdiction thanks to the federal suit.

She's already won a JP case arguing notice was incorrect.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tanicius posted:

How come you're so worried about responding to what they're saying? Your true audience is the judge. If something isn't applicable to the issue and it'll be obvious to the judge, just say it's not applicable and move on. No point wasting words on trying to get an insane person to see the light.

Because if you manage to lose one of those...

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Tanicius posted:

Yeah, it's not like I tried to explain why the name on the complaint is not the World Bank created corporation or why the court's authority is still valid in spite of yellow frills on the flag. But when they list thirty affirmative defenses, including citations to random TILA provisions, omnibus bills, fight jurisdiction, and then list every common law defense, it takes up a chunk of time to look up that stuff and see if it even has a remote kernel of truth.

I also think the judge will think more highly of the attorney that spends a sentence or two explaining why certain defenses have no merit, ie, instead of saying "Defendant's affirmative defenses are bare assertions and have no merit" respond by saying "Fraud must be plead with particularity. See rule/case." Even if you think the defenses are totally retarded, the judge and his staff have to look up all that crap just to make sure since pro se people have a little more latitude. Shut down any possibility and save the judge's office some time.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

GamingHyena posted:

Option #2 is to dig through every possible definition of "handicapped" to get a Fair Housing Act accommodation to buy a few more days.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

Hehe, yeah my goal is also to stay out of the bullcrap. For me it's a motion for relief in bankruptcy, so thankfully it's limited to a narrow question. The lender actually did screw up assigning the mortgage from it's previous incarnation. I don't think it's fatal to them, because they've halfass corrected it and somebody owns the thing.

My real problem now is the scammer convinced her that state court is (gasp) hostile to sovereign citizen bullcrap. She thinks her only option is to quiet title in federal court. I've tried to explain how turning her mortgage into an unsecured debt while owning a free and clear home is not a good idea in bankruptcy (cause VA has poo poo for exemptions). It's not sinking in though...

Tanicius
Sep 3, 2012

Omerta posted:

Yeah, it's not like I tried to explain why the name on the complaint is not the World Bank created corporation or why the court's authority is still valid in spite of yellow frills on the flag. But when they list thirty affirmative defenses, including citations to random TILA provisions, omnibus bills, fight jurisdiction, and then list every common law defense, it takes up a chunk of time to look up that stuff and see if it even has a remote kernel of truth.

I also think the judge will think more highly of the attorney that spends a sentence or two explaining why certain defenses have no merit, ie, instead of saying "Defendant's affirmative defenses are bare assertions and have no merit" respond by saying "Fraud must be plead with particularity. See rule/case." Even if you think the defenses are totally retarded, the judge and his staff have to look up all that crap just to make sure since pro se people have a little more latitude. Shut down any possibility and save the judge's office some time.

That makes sense. All my experience practicing so far is in criminal court where I think things are at least a bit more streamlined. The judges are (or tend to be) more familiar with the law, and the concepts are usually just tangible enough that it's easier to cut through bullshit without needing written briefs on every issue. Hell, I've seen judges rule against perfectly competent attorneys who submit briefs without even asking for a brief from the other side; they'll just ask for a sentence or two in response on the spot and make a ruling.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Billable hours ya'll

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Matter number 12345: researched whether Obama is a "Natural Citizen" of the United States and potential implications for validity of court authority. 6.2 hours.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Omerta posted:

Matter number 12345: researched whether Obama is a "Natural Citizen" of the United States and potential implications for validity of court authority. 6.2 hours.

Man that crazy Alaska dude's pro se complaint had the ballsiest foot note I ever did see.

See Dred Scott v Sanford, 60 US 393 (1857), a case which has never been explicitly overruled.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

J Miracle posted:

Man that crazy Alaska dude's pro se complaint had the ballsiest foot note I ever did see.

See Dred Scott v Sanford, 60 US 393 (1857), a case which has never been explicitly overruled.

I think technically it's still good for some arcane point of law about diversity jurisdiction, or so my civ pro teacher claimed.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omerta posted:

Maaaan I am so freakin' jealous. I wish I had a case that I could bill seemingly endless hours to.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

J Miracle posted:

The ballsiest footnote I ever saw also came from Alaska, in a district court case. The attorney said that the creativity of his opponent's motion threatened to overwhelm its lack of merit, and then gave the cite:

See, generally, Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit (1st ed. 2005)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Omerta posted:

And? Give us the answer!

Also I read about how when George Romney was running for president, people talked about whether his Mexican birth made him ineligible for president, and constitutional scholars generally agreed that he was eligible. I'm glad Romney has never even hinted at being a birther the way many surprisingly mainstream Republican leaders do off the cuff at CPAC and things like that.

F E Smith
Aug 15, 2006
And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Smith, nice Lord Denning quote.

Just a legend, isn't he?

dos4gw posted:

Nah I'm in the midlands. My girlfriend lives and works in London though so I have thought about trying to move further south at some point, especially because I'm from the south east originally, but I'm also quite happy here with cheap property prices and an easy commute into work. Also I don't know if I'd struggle to move to another chambers because of the 'provincial' stigma.

Are you based in London? What sort of practice do you have?

I"m at the commercial bar in London. Definitely agree that London can be a bitch at times, but there are ways of dealing with it (e.g. I live in Covent Garden, about 10 minutes' walk from chambers, which makes things significantly easier).

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I had my first day as an associate yesterday. I feel like I'm supposed to post something cynical but in actuality it was extremely exciting and they made me feel very welcome

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Feces Starship posted:

I had my first day as an associate yesterday. I feel like I'm supposed to post something cynical but in actuality it was extremely exciting and they made me feel very welcome

I have to assume most places fix that pretty quick.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Feces Starship posted:

What group did you end up in? Also, you never replied to my question from a month ago, dick.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Feces Starship posted:

gonna save this to a txt file and rub your face in it in one year

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

woozle wuzzle posted:

Hehe, yeah my goal is also to stay out of the bullcrap. For me it's a motion for relief in bankruptcy, so thankfully it's limited to a narrow question. The lender actually did screw up assigning the mortgage from it's previous incarnation. I don't think it's fatal to them, because they've halfass corrected it and somebody owns the thing.

My real problem now is the scammer convinced her that state court is (gasp) hostile to sovereign citizen bullcrap. She thinks her only option is to quiet title in federal court. I've tried to explain how turning her mortgage into an unsecured debt while owning a free and clear home is not a good idea in bankruptcy (cause VA has poo poo for exemptions). It's not sinking in though...

I summered in bankruptcy court in Miami (and turned down a clerkship there to work as a patent examiner). Florida has an unlimited homestead exemption. The greatest bankruptcy story there was some disbarred attorney who had a multimillion dollar house who came to court for his personal bankruptcy in the most expensive suit I've ever seen (and this was at the time that the same judge was overseeing a huuuuuuge corporate chapter 11 case) while him, his lawyer, the creditors' lawyers and the judge all basically went through the hearing laughing about how he was untouchable.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I have wetdreams of the unlimited homestead...

In VA it's $5000... which used to be a true homestead like 1204 years ago, and was left untouched as a cruel joke.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Coming from Miami, I felt that tort reform was entirely unnecessary because pretty much every Florida doctor is judgment-proof thanks to the homestead exemption.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

I wish that every month had the same level of excitement, happiness, and enthusiasm as my first month.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
What I learned during my bar course yesterday: It's okay for a civil lawyer to admit he doesn't know anything about criminal law, but it's not okay for a criminal lawyer to admit he doesn't know anything about civil law.

And in a scenario where a senior member of the bar made an illegal submission to the court regarding costs (something about an earlier unreported decision where said lawyer was also counsel so he should have known), I got in trouble for saying I would tell my firm what happened and then deal with the matter as a partner saw fit as opposed to approaching the senior member myself immediately afterwards to basically accuse him of lying to the courts (which is what the majority of the other students would apparently do). I suck at this game. I will be deemed incompetent.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
C0pernic, I WILL CRUSH YOU LIKE COCKROACH. PREPARE FOR YOUR DEMISE.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Soothing Vapors posted:

gonna save this to a txt file and rub your face in it in one year
I've been practicing for almost exactly a year (it's a year a week from now), and honestly, my job's pretty great. I like my coworkers, my work is kind of interesting, the hours are occasionally bad but usually okay, and the firm's been great to me. The only downside is that I am very clearly working in the service of evil, i.e., giant megacorps, but besides that my job is fantastic, and those giant megacorps are great clients.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ani posted:

I've been practicing for almost exactly a year (it's a year a week from now), and honestly, my job's pretty great. I like my coworkers, my work is kind of interesting, the hours are occasionally bad but usually okay, and the firm's been great to me. The only downside is that I am very clearly working in the service of evil, i.e., giant megacorps, but besides that my job is fantastic, and those giant megacorps are great clients.

Same here, but I actually got placed on a case where we're mostly on the side of good.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Ani posted:

The only downside is that I am very clearly working in the service of evil, i.e., giant megacorps, but besides that my job is fantastic, and those giant megacorps are great clients.

Don't think of them as evil. Think of them as benevolent mega-churches, trying to bring salvation to the prols by way of sweet, sweet products and services. It's like a papal blessing really. Like all things, you have to break some eggs to make an omelet, and if some 12 year old Chinese kid has to get a snoot full of toxic chemicals so that I can have my third big screen TV, well, that's just progress. I wouldn't want some shareholder suit or class action impacting my ability to catch a commercial filled rerun of Sex and the City 2: Pink and Scabby in full, glorious, 60" 1080p.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SlyFrog posted:

Don't think of them as evil. Think of them as benevolent mega-churches, trying to bring salvation to the prols by way of sweet, sweet products and services. It's like a papal blessing really. Like all things, you have to break some eggs to make an omelet, and if some 12 year old Chinese kid has to get a snoot full of toxic chemicals so that I can have my third big screen TV, well, that's just progress. I wouldn't want some shareholder suit or class action impacting my ability to catch a commercial filled rerun of Sex and the City 2: Pink and Scabby in full, glorious, 60" 1080p.

1080p? What are you, some kind of luddite? 4k is the new hotness for TVs.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

evilweasel posted:

1080p? What are you, some kind of luddite? 4k is the new hotness for TVs.

I'm old, and don't need your iPads and other geegaws thank you.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Ani posted:

I typically represent giant megacorp vs. other giant megacorp, or giant megacorp versus sketchy patent troll. I rarely have a crisis of conscience.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Usually we represent corporation v. corporation, or corporation/person v. IRS, so I feel pretty good. Also all the "little guys" I defend my corporate clients against are either total scumbag liars or are people who caused their own misfortunes.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SlyFrog posted:

Don't think of them as evil. Think of them as benevolent mega-churches, trying to bring salvation to the prols by way of sweet, sweet products and services. It's like a papal blessing really. Like all things, you have to break some eggs to make an omelet...

So, the secular version of transferring, hiding and absolving pedophile priests?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

joat mon posted:

So, the secular version of transferring, hiding and absolving pedophile priests?

Yes. Except priests don't deliver on the big screen TVs.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

total scumbag liars or are people who caused their own misfortunes.

Mmmm, my client base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

SlyFrog posted:

This is...interesting. I've been at it for a little over a year now, and the way I see it is I'm defending the corporate entity and its owners, not the employees/managers that allegedly did something illegal.

So, hypothetically, the manager that sexually harassed and ultimately attempted to rape a subordinate, is he evil? I would argue yes (although others in here might disagree). Are the shareholders of the corporation that hired him evil? Certainly not.

Also, space law. http://www.lawsofspaceflight.com/