Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Liku posted:

I hope the game doesn't get to the point like on OoT where you glitch the game out and just appear at the end. That poo poo is so drat boring.

Volt Catfish posted:

Well that's why MST still exists, right?

This isn't really an issue right now, even with OoT. Just because someone can beat the game in 20 minutes doesn't mean you have to watch/care about that run, and most players feel the same way.

People still play any% in the form of no WW/RBA, no WW (wrong warp) etc; people don't play 0 star or 1 star much in SM64 for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Keyboard Kid posted:

people don't play 0 star or 1 star much in SM64 for the same reason.
Wait, I thought no human had done a 0 star run? But I was wrong, thanks Suspicious Dish.
Edit:

Smoke_Max posted:

I know this is the speedrun thread and this is more like a playaround, but this Brain Age TAS is just loving amazing.
It's in the OP.

dirby fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 4, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You're underestimating the Japanese.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario64.html#lowp

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

0 star is fun to watch once, but I don't think I'd want to watch people shave more and more time off it. I might watch a 0 star race though, that might be fun.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
I remember when TASers weren't sure 0-star could be achieved. Now we have humans doing it unassisted. Simply astounding.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Violently Car posted:

I remember when TASers weren't sure 0-star could be achieved.

But do you remember before they found the 1-star run in the first place?

Speaking of which, when are they going to improve that second King's Bounty TAS? :haw:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In my mind, the 120-star speedruns are the player vs the game, while the 0-star speedruns are the player vs the programmers. I enjoy both sorts for different reasons.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

buttopticor posted:

Speaking of which, when are they going to improve that second King's Bounty TAS? :haw:

I do remember when spezzafer's 16 star run came out, but I don't really remember too much after that until just before the 0-star came out.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just heard Garrison beat the Super Metroid record.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
abahbob is doing things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HHcpefLP44

and they're so excited they're making video tributes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ke2C8qV3CM

EDIT: for those who don't konw, this means that superswimming can be done on console, non-TAS. It's not just cabana skip. This is a huge breaker.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 4, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Does abahbob stream? Because drat, this poo poo looks like it's going to break Wind Waker all over again.

And here I was saying that Cosmo's sub-5h was untouchable. :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

buttopticor posted:

I remember when people went crazy when they discovered the MIPS clip glitch and saw 16 stars was possible. Those were the days...

I do find it funny though. The premise of TASes are partly to show what's possible in a game when not limited by human reflexes, but instead of just accepting that as is it seems like speedrunners took it as a challenge. :v:

I guess one big thing I've learned seeing how speedruns are planned and executed these days is to never underestimate human timing and reaction. :stare:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Muscle memory is so crazy. Just watching Sig or Honey playing SM64, it's hard to believe they can do a perfect run of a stage almost every time. Especially on BOB, Sig literally never makes mistakes there.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
I hit 1:06:02 Mischief Makers any% earlier tonight :holy: I hope I can cut 1 hour by the time AGDQ rolls around... it'll be a tight run though, since the tas is 55 minutes.

Muscle memory might hold up at 5am but other brain functions start to deteriorate... this was from my PB run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPyzxXkV3s

... I just graduated 3 months ago with a degree in mathematics :negative:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kyrosiris posted:

Does abahbob stream? Because drat, this poo poo looks like it's going to break Wind Waker all over again.

And here I was saying that Cosmo's sub-5h was untouchable. :allears:

He does indeed, but he doesn't do WW SS runs. It's mostly glitch hunting and TASing

http://www.twitch.tv/abahbob

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Zeether posted:

I just heard Garrison beat the Super Metroid record.

Got a link? Super metroid is my favorite game to watch speedruns of.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Honey is on right now but on break for those that need their SM64 fix http://www.twitch.tv/honey82184

reflir posted:

Got a link? Super metroid is my favorite game to watch speedruns of.
Garrison's channel is http://www.twitch.tv/garrison_tt and the archived videos are at http://www.twitch.tv/garrison_tt/videos You'll have to hunt around the videos to find the (supposed) record run, but he has plenty of Super Metroid mixed in with the other games he's been playing lately.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cosmo is messing around with the new Wind Waker tech: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
It's so strange that with the sheer amount of runs only even cosmo was doing it's taken this long to find THE glitch. Even so, I suppose it's better than the 14 years it took to find Wrong Warps in OOT

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Aidan_702 posted:

It's so strange that with the sheer amount of runs only even cosmo was doing it's taken this long to find THE glitch. Even so, I suppose it's better than the 14 years it took to find Wrong Warps in OOT

Well, wrong warps are super weird, and required someone getting a warp from Fire => Forest by playing with blue crystals and ocarina items. And you can't watch any cutscenes, either.

Three frames before hitting the ground in a WW dive? Yeah, that should have been found.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Liku posted:

I hope the game doesn't get to the point like on OoT where you glitch the game out and just appear at the end. That poo poo is so drat boring.

I actually like it in a way, I like looking at how far the OoT any% time has fallen. I remember way back when Mike Damiani went for the first OoT run and it came out to 5 hours 25 minutes, and I actually helped him work out routes for when he reduced that to 5:04. I was never good enough at the game to help out with anything more significant than routes, and I lost track of all the developments quite quickly, but obviously that time kept falling. I lost interest for a few years and when I looked again the time had come down to about an hour and 20 minutes, which was mind-boggling to me. And now it's twenty-odd minutes. And the sheer number of tricks and sequence breaks and just plain research which came together to push that time down so far is huge. It's a really great story. It's the story that I like better than anything.

I remember thinking, years ago, wouldn't it be crazy if you could just somehow skip from the beginning of the game right to the final boss or the end sequence or something? And then it happened.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't know what it is about runs like that for me, because it's interesting that it's possible but just warping to the end of the game just makes is so boring for me. The strange part is I love runs that abuse and clip through geometry to get passed barriers and whatnot like the Portal runs or SM64 0 Star runs.

It becomes less about planning routes and honing a bunch of tricks and instead just learning one big trick that basically finishes the game for you. Though you could say that about a 0 Star run, I just enjoy seeing the character zip through the world and ignore most collision detection to get from one area to another, if he just went through the castle doors and appeared at the final Bowser fight it would be boring.

Again, just personal preference so whatever.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
How does the new superswim glitch work? I like watching all of this stuff but I never know where to look for glitch explanation.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ohvee posted:

How does the new superswim glitch work? I like watching all of this stuff but I never know where to look for glitch explanation.

First, "storage". When you get into a "storage state", it will delay an event (some form of text box or mini cutscene), because the game is buggy. The next event you get, both events will activate.

There are three parts to "storage". The first is getting the "storage state"; this used to be done with forest water, and now can be done with the WW dive.

The second is storing the event. The cabana deed skip opened a chest.

The third is activating the stored event. erm, I lied here, you don't actually do this in the cabana deed skip. After storing the chest, you have the ability to clip through walls (because the game thinks you're in a cutscene), and you take advantage of this by entering the cabana loading zone, which cancels all of the effects by loading a map to reset the game.

Anyway, one of the things is that while you're in the "storage state" (which you activated with forest water or WW dive), if you try to pull out an item that would lock the camera, the cutscene is delayed, but the camera is locked. Because the water tries to adjust your camera, but it's in camera lock, link just goes back and forth really, really quick.

There's nothing new here except the method of getting storage.

Anyway, superswim works because the game does not limit velocity when swimming, only speed.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Also, even Cosmo is having lots of trouble with WW Dive Storage, because it's two frame-perfect triggers in quick succession (doing the WW Dive itself and then hitting the tiny Storage window). It's basically a TAS-level thing that Cosmo is trying to do because he's Cosmo.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Suspicious Dish posted:

Anyway, superswim works because the game does not limit velocity when swimming, only speed.

More specifically, whenever you swim backwards, your speed decreases. The game fails to prevent this from letting you get less than zero speed, so you just go backwards faster and faster. The only way to do this is either with camera lock, or by pressing up and down on alternating frames (TAS only, obviously).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I decided to speedrun a game that I enjoy, even though most people either dislike it or have never heard of it. I wanted to see how hard the game would be to speedrun since nobody had ever done it before.

Tecmo's Secret of the Stars. :suicide:

Also, if you want an idea on how agonizing it can be to speedrun something with a lot of luck, check out http://www.twitch.tv/werster who speedruns a lot of Pokemon games (right now he's doing Crystal and resetting over Totodile stats).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

CVagts posted:

So I decided to speedrun a game that I enjoy, even though most people either dislike it or have never heard of it. I wanted to see how hard the game would be to speedrun since nobody had ever done it before.

Tecmo's Secret of the Stars. :suicide:

Oh sweet jesus...

You better stream that poo poo. Not for any entertainment value, mind you, but if you don't have an audience backing you up, you're likely to be driven insane trying to run it.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I have streamed practice runs of it actually (twitch.tv/cvagts) and aside from needing luck on a couple bosses, it isn't that hard.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Video capture hardware question. Got my HD PVR 2 today (very lucky) and I wonder if I have to live with the five second delay seen in Capture Module, or if I could cut it down to 1-2 seconds somehow? No luck with AmaRec, can't even get the ArcSoft ShowBiz that came with it to start up, only got Capture Module running.

Mostly got it to have as an upscaler (zero-latency hdmi output + living in a land of tv licenses) of older to newer consoles, and a recorder for whenever I dip into the world of speedrunning again.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 5, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Video capture hardware question. Got my HD PVR 2 today (very lucky) and I wonder if I have to live with the five second delay seen in Capture Module, or if I could cut it down to 1-2 seconds somehow? No luck with AmaRec, can't even get the ArcSoft ShowBiz that came with it to start up, only got Capture Module running.

Mostly got it to have as an upscaler (zero-latency hdmi output + living in a land of tv licenses) of older to newer consoles, and a recorder for whenever I dip into the world of speedrunning again.

I'd recommend posting this in the Tech Support Fort in Let's Play, but the response you'll get is that you need to use the passthrough for live playback.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
When I had one plugged into my Linux box, I was able to get VLC to give a reasonably short delay (quarter of a second or so), which worked fine for watching stuff on Netflix, but obviously would be unacceptable for gameplay.

You can't remove ALL of the lag just because of the nature of the signal going from the box to the PC, unfortunately. Best you can do is use the component passthrough to go to a TV, which only works with component input and doesn't do any upscaling or anything like that.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'd recommend posting this in the Tech Support Fort in Let's Play, but the response you'll get is that you need to use the passthrough for live playback.

Oh, I'm playing through a secondary monitor with that output, it's fine, it's just for a stream that video is behind, which is a little problem.

But screw that, people will have to make do with reactions five seconds ahead of what happens in whatever rare crappy game I'm practicing, hdmi passthrough is worth it espec when you're as latency sensitive as me and enjoying old school shmups.

(My audio solution is to nab HDMI audio from the monitoring and feed it to my mixer and stick it into 2TRK input, sending 2TRK to monitors and not the mix, and the computer gets to stay on a low volume. Right now tracking down the right Mega Drive model for best Gen/MD audio.)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 5, 2012

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

MrLonghair posted:

Oh, I'm playing through a secondary monitor with that output, it's fine, it's just for a stream that video is behind, which is a little problem.

But screw that, people will have to make do with reactions five seconds ahead of what happens in whatever rare crappy game I'm practicing, hdmi passthrough is worth it espec when you're as latency sensitive as me and enjoying old school shmups.

(My audio solution is to nab HDMI audio from the monitoring and feed it to my mixer and stick it into 2TRK input, sending 2TRK to monitors and not the mix, and the computer gets to stay on a low volume. Right now tracking down the right Mega Drive model for best Gen/MD audio.)

You can use a combination of Virtual Audio Cable ($35) and RadioDelay (free software) to create a fake line to record from, then delay your game audio and microphone by a couple seconds onto that fake line. If you have a sound card with a bunch of line ins you might be able to get away with not using Virtual Audio Cable.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

pokecapn posted:

You can use a combination of Virtual Audio Cable ($35) and RadioDelay (free software) to create a fake line to record from, then delay your game audio and microphone by a couple seconds onto that fake line. If you have a sound card with a bunch of line ins you might be able to get away with not using Virtual Audio Cable.

I thought that was going to be the one solution for me until I found this http://www.zachpoff.com/software/live-video-delay/ , software able to delay incoming video by a certain set of frames and audio also. Going to try getting it ported to Windows Max/MSP properly.

(VAC saves a lot of time, money and head-aches)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 5, 2012

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
COSMO DID IT!

I don't exactly know what "it" is, but he did some playing with the baton then swam backwards a whole bunch and now he's on a messed-up island!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

DoctorWhat posted:

COSMO DID IT!

I don't exactly know what "it" is, but he did some playing with the baton then swam backwards a whole bunch and now he's on a messed-up island!

He got to Great Fish Island before getting all three pearls and avoiding the KORL lock.

The reason the Island was all messed up was because it didn't load completely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dizz posted:

He got to Great Fish Island before getting all three pearls and avoiding the KORL lock.

The reason the Island was all messed up was because it didn't load completely.

HE GOT EARLY BOMBS, I THINK! 3+ hours saved, apparently. Holy poo poo.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone watch Kakipi1000's Sonic runs?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

DoctorWhat posted:

HE GOT EARLY BOMBS, I THINK! 3+ hours saved, apparently. Holy poo poo.

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone watch Kakipi1000's Sonic runs?

The funny thing is that there may now be proof that you don't need bombs anymore now with super swimming :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DoctorWhat posted:

COSMO DID IT!

This game is going nuts.

• Locked thread