Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

TwoPair posted:

The whole "ramming the cockpit" part can't be understated. Kamina narrowly dodges a drill to the head every time they combine. Here's the stock footage they use for every other transformation. (I couldn't find a version without lovely music overdubbed, sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3dW9dqhcs

Even better is the very first time they combine! Played out in the game, it has to really be seen to be believed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfUTihyusSg

I laugh my rear end off everytime I see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

KDavisJr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfUTihyusSg

I laugh my rear end off everytime I see that.

And this is why everyone in the game plays that scene completely straight - that's what happening in front of all our other teammates. Is it any wonder they reacted how they did?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ohtsuka confirms that that beastmen have already left the Dark Continent and begun spreading out. They've gotten as far as sub-Saharan Africa and show no signs of stopping. Sumeragi is suspicious that they made their move so quickly, as if they knew when the dimensional barrier was going to vanish.

Because of the beastman problem, the Peacekeeping Council is demanding the exploration team's collected data so they can come to a decision as quickly as possible, meaning we're being recalled on the double.

Simon and Kamina have returned from their scouting mission with bupkiss. Yoko has to assure Kamina it wasn't a total waste of time - better safe than sorry, and it's good for them to be in their Ganmen getting used to piloting anyway. He's still chafing under Sumeragi's orders, but that's okay, because we're on our way out anyway.

Crowe explains to Kamina his ongoing mission to collect interesting combat data and pay off his debt. Kamina thinks selling his freedom to pay back debt is silly. Yoko reminds Kamina that his utter lack of planning anything is silly and he has no room to talk.

But just then, they spy something in the distance, and it's not a beastman...

Chapter 12: That Makes No drat Sense!
(Dark Continent route)

A man screams for us to get away (from what?),

and starts lobbing explosives at us.

It looks like he thinks he's attacking beastmen... oh.

The three girls he has in tow assure us that they and their brother will save us from those big nasty beastmen.

But when he sees Kamina, his rage quickly turns into confusion (and more rage).

Kamina calls the new guy a dumbshit for mistaking us for beastmen and the two just get madder at each other.

But the other guys recognize us as humans, so we're safe for now. He still wants to know how humans are piloting the beastmens' Ganmen, and doesn't believe Kamina actually jacked it.

Hey, hey, hey! Who's journeyed from the village of Jeeha to the very ends of the earth, and destroyed as many Ganmen as the stars in the sky?
It's me! His Awesomeness Kamina, leader of the Gurren Gang!
He's adorable!
He's wonderful!
He's hot!
Really? You guys are taking his side?

They introduce themselves in order as Kiyou, Kinon, and Kiyal, and their brother Kittan. Together, they're the Black Family of beastman hunters. They comment that Crowe seems different somehow (maybe it's the art style?), and Yoko explains that he's from the outside world. The girls guess, haltingly, that "outside" means beyond the barrier, but Kittan insists that the barrier is the literal edge of the world and there's nothing beyond it!

But there's no time to explain. Ryoma flies in with Getter to warn us that Ganmen are incoming!

Whoops! Kittan is spoiling for a fight, but his sisters are cowed by the sheer number. Crowe agrees that there sure are a lot. Looks like they've come to stamp us out once and for all.

Kamina's also ready to get drilling, but the beastmens' opening volley sends him with Lagann, Simon, and Gurren sinking into the ground!

Unfortunately, we're still entertaining Ganmen. All we can do is hold out until they get themselves out, and as Ryoma says, "Not like hole-dwellers are gonna have any problems with holes!"

Yoko will go down into the hole after them, taking the Black Family and leaving Brasta and Getter to hold the line.

The time limit is three turns to wipe out these enemies.

There are a few enemies, and Ganmen are pretty solid.

Note how the Brasta hasn't taken off yet. In case I forgot to mention it earlier (because it never came up?), flying units on terrestrial maps can freely switch between the ground and the sky, which can let them take advantage of terrain or save the EN cost of movement - though some units that can fly don't work as well in the air, and others generally shouldn't be anywhere near terra firma.

Opening with a charge. Brasta and Getter-2 are both pretty fast.

On the enemy turn, Hayato starts knocking out the wounded Ganmen...

and the resulting level up for the entire Getter team wins Musashi that upgraded Drive Spirit.

In addition, the second kill brings the Ptolemy and ten robots onto the board.

If I remember right, the Shuttle and Aphrodite are sitting this out again.

Crowe fills the other pilots in on the situation. Naturally, they're joining the battle up here while Yoko figures things out down below.

The onslaught takes its toll on Getter...

But it survives the round.

There's not much call for a bucket of Will for Getter when all the pilots are already over 130, but it'll be super useful in the future.

Allelujah's kill gets him Accel.

Having Aoi shout will push her to Dancouga within a turn.

Since Takeru regenerates SP, blowing some on Drive (I really prefer Shout, though, as a name) is good use of resources.

Shame about his range, still.

Kouji has Accel. I just wanted to remind you how cool that is.

Getter Arm!

After the kill, we cut back to Yoko searching for Kamina and Simon...

It looks like they've landed in a village!

A local approaches and asks if they came from the heavens. Kamina confirms this and introduces himself and Simon. The fellow asks if they could take a couple of kids, Gimi and Dari, off his hands.

The kids ask if they're servants of the Holy Faces. Wait, what?

The guy explains that his name is Rossiu and they're in the village of Adai, of which they're citizens.

The elder grumps and reminds Rossiu that he was supposed to see the kids all the way out of the village. Rossiu explains that he was going to hand them off to the men from the heavens, and that works for the elder. But Simon asks the important question: why do the kids have to leave?

The elder explains that the children "have received salvation and are to be sent to Heaven." See, in Adai, there can be no more than 50 people at once. If there are more, the excess are chosen by "God" and sent to "Heaven" - the surface. Simon and Kamina are painfully aware that the surface is definitely no paradise.

But the elder will hear no objections - this has been the way of Adai for generations and the tradition cannot be broken. And he insists that it's a great honor to be sent to Heaven where they can be freed from the strife of the world. Kamina responds, "Where are you gettin' this from? That makes no drat sense! Do you even know what the surface is like?"

But the kids are eager to be "sent to Heaven." Simon insists that they're doing it because they have to, not because they want to, and Kamina echoes what he said to Crowe back on the surface - "If you don't wanna do it, don't! Who the hell do you think I am? If I say I'd die before I do something, you're not gonna get me to do it even if you kill me! Hey, Forehead, what're you thinking about this?"

Forehead Rossiu clearly doesn't like it either, seeing how quick he was to find an alternative to sending them out onto the surface alone. Spitting, Kamina agrees to take the kids with him and storms out on the elder and the forehead.

After he leaves, Rossiu asks the elder if it wouldn't be better to just tell everybody the truth. The elder responds that the only truth that matters is that the village mustn't be over 50 or it will fail. He will do anything to keep it. No one will miss those two kids, anyway.

Rossiu remembers his own mother, who was "saved" long ago, and decides to leave the village himself. "If it's possible to live on the surface, then we don't need this horrible farce." The elder remains unflappable throughout, and sends Rossiu off with the village's holy book. Rossiu reminds the elder that he can't read it, and the elder calmly admits that he can't either. But whatever the book is, he wants Rossiu to have it, and his blessing.

Kamina and Simon reach the surface with the kids in tow. They push the kids off on Yoko, because it's time to get back to the hunt.

But no sooner than they dash off into the battle does a Beastman pop out of the sands with his sights set on the children!

Rossiu arrives just in time and leaps to get the kids out of the way. Meanwhile, Yoko and Kamina work together to make quick work of the Ganmen.

Kamina says Rossiu's worthy of being in the Gurren Gang for his courage just now. The more serious of the team are concerned that Kamina is going around telling everyone we're in his Gurren Gang.

Kamina! Simon! Better make up for all the fighting you missed!
Right!
drat it, Simon! You're supposed to say "Who do you think you're talkin' to?"
You hear that, Ganmen? Your fun's over now that Simon and My Awesomeness are here!

Crowe, Kamina, and Simon are available.

Right now, it's best to keep them together in the faster Gurren-Lagann (Gurren is a little bit slow).

Gurren sure has sharp eyes.

Those Ganzas are probably about to move.

Let's welcome them in.

Their subordinates pick fights they can't win.

Their forces in tatters, the Ganza take their shots.

And lose.

Within a turn, the last few enemies are gone.

But hey, remember what this section of the game is missing?

Damons! And the horned ones, to boot!

Not only that, but MD... well, not MD. They aren't white, but they're the same sort.

Crowe's normal smirk and swagger are gone. He's deadly serious and set on wiping out the Damons.

In our absence, the Damons have been given names. The horned ones are called Bulldamons, and like all Damons, they are both tough and smart, with abnormally high Skill stats for regular enemies. Of course, they still have the D. Fault and the Will-draining shock attack. And spoilers - by the end of the game, they'll become the basic Damon grunt enemy. Enjoy!

The MD type is the Rhinodamon (and the original is Rhinodamon MD) because of its bulk and giant head horns. It's even bigger and nastier than the Bulldamons.

They all have Prevail L4 and Offensive Support. This is going to suck.

There's no real time limit on this, just take out the Damons.

Well, let's start.

Oh, poo poo.

Ohhh, poo poo.

Oh, poo poo.

This isn't going to be fun.

Luckily, I did bring along several robots that can evade the Damons' attacks, and Takeru is immune to Will drain.

Though he isn't immune to damage.

Small blessings - the Bulldamons don't regenerate their HP. Rhinodamons do, but there are only two of them, so it's best to leave them alone until I have a chance to focus on them individually.

Range also works on the Bulldamons, forcing them to fall back on their tail throw attack.

And then there's pilots like Kamina and Takeru that have Sense so they don't have to care. (Alert works too.)

Careful, bro! Fighting them is completely different from fighting Ganmen!
Cool it, Simon! I'll take 'em on whatever they are and however strong they are!
No losing, no turning back, and no worries! Never turn away and never look back! None of that is how a man lives!
That's how I've rolled and I'm gonna keep rolling!

:ohdear:: Manly, um... uh...

:ohdear:: I don't really care Slash!

It really doesn't matter what he calls it, it still works.

Meanwhile, Dai-Guard's weight can't penetrate the D. Fault. Whoops.

Say what you like about Dancouga Nova, but the robot is still an Obari robot.

Allelujah knocks out a second Damon. I know spreading damage is good, but I'm under no time pressure and I do want to take some of those Shocking Horns off the board.

Now we'll let them go.

Of course, one goes after the mothership.

Virtue's barrier absorbs the entire hit.

They're definitely stronger than the ones from before that Damon attacked.
But I'm not gonna get whacked without keeping my promise to Esther. It'd be against my principles.

Crowe's popular with the Damons.

But he continues to survive and hold his own.

Eventually, the Rhinodamons attack. The first one goes after Ptolemy again. Go figure. Can Virtue soak the damage?

As it turns out, yes, but not unmarked.

The other one shoots straight for the DM Buster.

I'm concerned. Time for Defense.

Frozen Fire is about what it sounds like. As a side effect, it drains energy from the robot.

Anyway, let's get some poo poo done.

As far as rushing the Rhinodamons goes, I have a few Offensive Support options available. Crowe and Lockon are the best bets, they both have two supports to fire, and there's one on each Rhinodamon. Convenient.

Let's focus on #1. We'll start with Dancouga.

The Severance Cannon deals okay damage.

The response, Frozen Fire, is fought off by Invincible, but it still drains Dancouga's energy.

After Lockon's followup, the Damon is pretty wounded, but not in any danger.

Tieria's cannon can cut through barriers once per turn because of his Ace bonus, but he does enough damage to ignore the D. Fault anyway, since any damage that's over its limit goes through in full.

He can trigger the Cosmo Laser as a support, but that probably won't get through the barrier on a support. Fortunately, Naoto can extend the range of the Triple Laser until it can support instead, which might get through the barrier.

It does, and Tieria even dodges.

While getting the Ptolemy out of the way, I had it heal Mazinger. From doing so, it gained two levels, and Chris gained the Analyze Spirit, the one that debuffs one enemy for the round.

This is so Takeru, behind in levels, can finish the job.

A note about Supports - I might have mentioned this before, but the AI automatically drops to the lowest attack it thinks can take out the enemy, or the highest attack if it can't. However, this actually doesn't take barriers and shields into a count. Lockon has defaulted to the GN Missile, which will probably work, but with the Damon's Prevail, why take the risk?

Now that's done, let's move to the next one. I'm going to hand it to Crowe, but he's probably going to burn all his attacks on it first.

First following Hayato...

and then Simon.

I'll just have it weakened a bit more.

And that's that.

For gently caress's sake, Crowe is level 14 and hasn't learned a second Spirit yet.

Now it's time for cleanup.

I'm glad I can count on Mazinger to deal truckloads of damage.

Setsuna picks off one and weakens another.

Celestial Being's cooperation finishes it off.

Dai-Guard is not being useful, so Akagi can wait.

Oh my god I totally forgot about Trider. Oops.

Another turn left for the enemies, tops.

Are you serious?

Luckily, Ptolemy's barrier absorbs both attacks.

One down.

One about to be down.

Let's get this over with.

With Lockon's help, Akagi makes himself useful. :sigh:

I hope that's the end of the chapter.

It sounds like Bulldamons are attacking everywhere now, though there aren't that many of them out and about.

Crowe quickly composes himself, but his brave face isn't fooling anyone. He's disappointed that MD didn't show up, and explains for the pilots who didn't know what MD is and why he wants its head.

Kamina wants to know more about the outside world - and the many dangers, Damon and otherwise, lurking in it - and decides to accompany us back off the Dark Continent. But that's a conversation for later. The area is hot and Sumeragi wants to ditch it.

After the Ptolemy leaves, a strange man in a strange robot is revealed to be lurking in the shadows. "So that's my target," he murmurs ominously. "He's a tough one. I mustn't be careless. A bouquet of flowers in the rain. The breath of the sun and moon. That is the dizziness of chaos."

With that, the chapter ends.

Kamina hasn't backed down on his desire to see the wide world and learn as much as he can. Simon thanks him for encouraging him when he was full of doubts, but Kamina says it's the reverse: "Without you, I can't find my way forward. Your drill's the one that pierces the heavens." Unrelatedly, he demands that Forehead and the kids come too. Simon's on board with that plan, and actually, so are Gimi and Dari, so Rossiu's gotta come.

Kittan's staying, but he says Kamina's always welcome in his "family." Kamina returns an invitation to join the Gurren Gang.

(His sisters are still falling all over Kamina, but what do you expect?)

The Family takes off, but seeing the beastman hunters reminds everyone that the beastmen are attacking the whole world now. Of course, for Kamina this is just the beginning of a new adventure for the Gurren Gang - again, that includes all of us. There's nothing for it, since "World Peace Keeping Council - Crushers, Celestial Being and Co., and the Gurren Gang" is too long, but maybe it doesn't matter. Our mission is over, and the group's going to disband afterwards.

You don't believe that, do you?

Leeron's coming with us too. S/he's as curious about the greater world as Kamina. Specifically, the greater world's technology. But s/he also wants to see how Simon and Kamina will change and be changed by that world. The last part convinces Yoko, and she's coming too, though Dayakka "didn't think you were into guys like him."

Back in New York, Elgan Roddick is getting his update from Ohtsuka about the happenings on the mission and the new recruits. He orders Ohtsuka to get the Crushers and co. back to Dragon's Hive. There's some news for them about that Boatman guy. And there are some other new friends waiting at Dragon's Hive too, but that's a story for another branch. Roddick wants to pull them all into a new team with the power and authority to fight off the Damons, Invaders, Image, Gishin, Mechabeasts, terrorists, beastmen... the world is in trouble, and it's going to take some firepower to save it... or change it.

After cutting the line, Elgan responds to someone unknown. "I know," he says, "but I told you I don't need your meddling. I will avoid that doom with my power and the power of this world's warriors. I believe they can do it, that they will do it."

Since this is the official split, I should mention that we have been granted a Pigmole Steak, a consumable that restores 40 SP to one pilot. See you next chapter.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Will AND EN draining mooks? Man Supers hate those so so much.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So it's back to the Area 11 route for now, right?

And I distinctly remember that this is where fighting DAMONs starts to really loving suck. Even the bulldamons can soak up an astounding amount of fire if you're not careful, and as the Rhinos and more formidable variants start becoming more common, things start getting very hairy very fast.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
I could be mistaken since I can't actually read the description, but I thought the D-fault reduced damage by 1500, rather than nullifying damage below 1500. It definitely seemed that way while playing, since piercing attacks did so much more damage. Incidentally, this made a robot that shows up later one of my favorites, since it has so many piercing attacks.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Sable Stormfront posted:

I could be mistaken since I can't actually read the description, but I thought the D-fault reduced damage by 1500, rather than nullifying damage below 1500. It definitely seemed that way while playing, since piercing attacks did so much more damage. Incidentally, this made a robot that shows up later one of my favorites, since it has so many piercing attacks.

That's the impression I got too and, I figured, part of why I hated fighting these things so much. I rely a lot on auto-counter, and 99% of the time it's fine because it only uses the strongest attack needed to kill the enemy, but the AI doesn't seem to take that barrier into consideration, and as a result you have a bunch of them with like 700 HP left flying around.

Unless I'm just completely wrong and misremembering, which is also possible.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sable Stormfront posted:

Snot Man posted:

That's the impression I got too and, I figured, part of why I hated fighting these things so much. I rely a lot on auto-counter, and 99% of the time it's fine because it only uses the strongest attack needed to kill the enemy, but the AI doesn't seem to take that barrier into consideration, and as a result you have a bunch of them with like 700 HP left flying around.

Unless I'm just completely wrong and misremembering, which is also possible.

Well, the description says "cancels damage 1500 or below." There's actually not much in Z2 that reduces damage... in fact, I think the only enemies that do it are in Restoration.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Yeah. The DAMON are Z2's way of DEMANDING that you cheese the hell out of it and FUB your heavy-hitters as soon as possible. When a common grunt can still hassle a maxed -out unit, you know they're serious business.

They're not as tough in Saisei-Hen, but Saisei-Hen is rather a lot easier, all things considered.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Welcome to why Destruction sucks much harder than Restoration. Those loving BullDAMON. Like I said when BullDAMON reappear in Restoration chapter they lose their D-Faults and don't eat Morale and EN with every attack and they don't have insane accuracy.

As for whether the D-Fault reduces damage or negates damage under a point I'm not exactly sure myself. It might secretly do both, there's a particular REALLY painful stage coming up (my condolences when it arrives Caphi) where I'm almost certain that the BullDAMON should not be completely negating attacks unless it secretly takes some damage off the top to hurt you some more.

Also the English name for the Spirit that increases Morale by 10 is actually just "Spirit", Drive is ironically the name they gave to the command that's usually translated as "Spirit" (though I've also seen "Vigor" as the translation to that).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Omnicrom posted:

Welcome to why Destruction sucks much harder than Restoration. Those loving BullDAMON. Like I said when BullDAMON reappear in Restoration chapter they lose their D-Faults and don't eat Morale and EN with every attack and they don't have insane accuracy.

As for whether the D-Fault reduces damage or negates damage under a point I'm not exactly sure myself. It might secretly do both, there's a particular REALLY painful stage coming up (my condolences when it arrives Caphi) where I'm almost certain that the BullDAMON should not be completely negating attacks unless it secretly takes some damage off the top to hurt you some more.

Also the English name for the Spirit that increases Morale by 10 is actually just "Spirit", Drive is ironically the name they gave to the command that's usually translated as "Spirit" (though I've also seen "Vigor" as the translation to that).

Officially, 根性 is Vigor. I thought Drive was 気合 and Spirit was 気迫 but I may have them backwards.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Spirit is the +10 Morale one in the US OG games, Drive is the +30 one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was wondering how they'd handle Rossiu and the Black Family and all the other TTGL stuff that doesn't really involve giant robots directly. Turns out the answer is "all in one fell swoop" apparently.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TwoPair posted:

I was wondering how they'd handle Rossiu and the Black Family and all the other TTGL stuff that doesn't really involve giant robots directly. Turns out the answer is "all in one fell swoop" apparently.

Given Episode 4's, uh, "uniqueness" even by Gurren Lagann's standards, I don't really blame them for lumping the Black Family/Siblings together alongside introducing the rest of the initial supporting cast.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Monathin posted:

Given Episode 4's, uh, "uniqueness" even by Gurren Lagann's standards, I don't really blame them for lumping the Black Family/Siblings together alongside introducing the rest of the initial supporting cast.

i was trying to remember the episode that introduced Kittan and his sisters and two things that comes to mind: how ridiculous combining mecha can be, and how horrible the animation in that episode was compared to the other 25 episodes.

The difference has to be seen to be believed.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

KDavisJr posted:

i was trying to remember the episode that introduced Kittan and his sisters and two things that comes to mind: how ridiculous combining mecha can be, and how horrible the animation in that episode was compared to the other 25 episodes.

The difference has to be seen to be believed.

It also makes use of at least one piece of stock footage, which I guess evens out when this is the first episode that shows them combining for real. In that the monster of that episode uses stock re-combine footage. The episode direction itself is also as close to filler as Gurren Lagann gets - the introduction of the for-real transformation sequence for GL and the introduction to Kittan and Co. are pretty much the most important parts of that episode.

It really is awful by almost all standards.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Monathin posted:

It also makes use of at least one piece of stock footage, which I guess evens out when this is the first episode that shows them combining for real. In that the monster of that episode uses stock re-combine footage. The episode direction itself is also as close to filler as Gurren Lagann gets - the introduction of the for-real transformation sequence for GL and the introduction to Kittan and Co. are pretty much the most important parts of that episode.

It really is awful by almost all standards.

The hot springs episode later is actually filler. Nothing of any importance happens in that episode. It's funny as hell though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

KDavisJr posted:

The hot springs episode later is actually filler. Nothing of any importance happens in that episode. It's funny as hell though.

You could almost swear it was a law for anime to have a Hot Springs Episode and/or a Beach Episode.

But yeah, seeing Viral rant about naked monkeys is pretty hilarious.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

KDavisJr posted:

Second-closest then. I always forget about the Hot Springs Episode - whoops!

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Monathin posted:

Second-closest then. I always forget about the Hot Springs Episode - whoops!

Easy to forget is since there was another version they used which they copied over it.

Hunter Noventa posted:

You could almost swear it was a law for anime to have a Hot Springs Episode and/or a Beach Episode.

But yeah, seeing Viral rant about naked monkeys is pretty hilarious.

TTGL has both!

Also the best thing is that after his naked monkeys rant, Kamina go "Who are you again?" His biggest rival in the series and a major character and he loving forgets his name.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

In fact Viral is much defined early on as "the rival character" that his name is an anagram of Rival.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KDavisJr posted:

That old man joins the group, if that counts for anything.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

That old man joins the group, if that counts for anything.

Since I only watched the dubbed version, I assumed the semi-recap nature of that episode was a function of censorship rather than how the episode was originally. Glad I didn't miss anything important.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Blhue posted:

Since I only watched the dubbed version, I assumed the semi-recap nature of that episode was a function of censorship rather than how the episode was originally. Glad I didn't miss anything important.

It was a function of censorship, but it was like that when it originally aired, too.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Blhue posted:

It's both. There's a small, highly Japanese (read as: weird) scene that was even cut from the original Japanese airing where Kamina and Simon try to vault over the divider to catch Yoko and the Black Sisters in their own bath, while also recapping their adventures. The version that aired on TV cut this in favor of a longer recap, which is also the version that got dubbed.

I'm not spoilering this because, as stated, pretty much -nothing- happens. And I'll personally take a picture eating my own hat if Z2 goes in detail into the Hot Springs Episode.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Monathin posted:

I'm not spoilering this because, as stated, pretty much -nothing- happens. And I'll personally take a picture eating my own hat if Z2 goes in detail into the Hot Springs Episode.

The "nudie" nickname is pretty notable, so I wouldn't be too shocked if there was a showdown or something at least involving the Kurogane House with a naked Kamina fighting Viral. SRW's pretty good about skipping over the bullshit, though.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Monathin posted:

It's both. There's a small, highly Japanese (read as: weird) scene that was even cut from the original Japanese airing where Kamina and Simon try to vault over the divider to catch Yoko and the Black Sisters in their own bath, while also recapping their adventures. The version that aired on TV cut this in favor of a longer recap, which is also the version that got dubbed.

What about the Hot Spring Mecha?!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hi guys. Checking in because I know it's been two weeks, the way this works for me is recording on weekends I'm able to and, um, the last few, I haven't been able to. I'm planning to make time for the next chapter this week or next weekend at latest. Sorry.

(The next chapter, if I didn't mention it, is the start of the Space Route which is the alternate split to the Dark Continent chapters.)

Adyen
Dec 26, 2007
So, are we going (and when are we going) to see the most hate on (and hated of) main character in the super robot wars franchise? Mr. My-sub-pilot-is-a-better-pilot-than-I-am?

Why, oh why did they include that series?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Adyen posted:

So, are we going (and when are we going) to see the most hate on (and hated of) main character in the super robot wars franchise? Mr. My-sub-pilot-is-a-better-pilot-than-I-am?

Why, oh why did they include that series?

If you're talking about the main character of the movie of the anime that was in Z1 that's so much worse and so thoroughly bad here compared to how he was Z1 to the point that it seems like even Banpresto hated that loving trainwreck of a movie that derailed a perfectly good series *DEEP BREATH* then a ways on. If it is who I think it is we'll be meeting them during the next route split.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't be silly. The character who the developers seem to hate doesn't show up for a long time. Garrod Ran doesn't show up until way later!

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

If you're talking about the main character of the movie of the anime that was in Z1 that's so much worse and so thoroughly bad here compared to how he was Z1 to the point that it seems like even Banpresto hated that loving trainwreck of a movie that derailed a perfectly good series *DEEP BREATH* then a ways on. If it is who I think it is we'll be meeting them during the next route split.

The only thing good about the movie was that the main character was less of a wuss than the tv show. Otherwise, yeah the movie wasn't very good. At least not the point I'd watch it again.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's an alternate chapter 9 here where Crowe and Celestial Being swing by Area 11 before going up into space. Other than different allies, the same things happen - Holland and Crowe fighting Image, Bulldamons and MD destroying Brasta, and so on. Nothing that interesting happens during the battle, though I will say that fighting off the Damons with Glasgows is painful. Everyone is all "oh god these guys are strong," the Resistance acts all resist-y, and that's pretty much it.

Afterwards, the mysterious Boatman needs someone to fly to space and make contact with the mysterious spaceship, and he wants the Ptolemy to escort them. Sumeragi agrees, if only to personally ensure that the ship is not dangerous. Zero has dropped Boatman's name to get his team onto the Ptolemy, claiming he wants to cooperate, but he's plotting to get Celestial Being under his command. Heero and Duo are interested in the mission - anything mysterious up there is a potential threat to the colonies - so they make their introductions. Tieria is suspicious, Lockon and Duo are bros, and Setsuna and Heero...

Yeah.

Then it's the Resistance's turn to introduce themselves, but they're not coming on this mission. Zero claims he can't afford to leave Area 11 at the moment, and he's keeping Chirico, but Duo and Heero are still breaking off to come with us.

Then Crowe wakes up in the lab again and the same scene happens, and Carlos and Shioni plot again.

Anyway, on to the next real chapter.

Oh, goodie, a text scroll. This one is explaining what the mysterious spaceship is. The story begins on an alternate Earth that warred with a race of alien giants called the Zentraedi. But the humans and Zentraedi found peace, and humanity evaded extinction. Then they chose to build vast starships and journey into space to find other worlds they could live on and spread throughout the galaxy. But the 25th New Macross Starship, Macross Frontier, was caught in a Dimensional Quake during its travels...

Chapter 10: Close Encounter
(Space route)

But let's go back to the beginning. We find the ship in its own universe, but it's under attack! The ship scrambles its last line of fighters to stave off the oncoming assault.

The enemy charges into the barricade - monsters known as the Vajra.

The aliens easily wipe out the fighters.

But the ship had one more card up their sleeve - the private force S. M. S.'s Skull Squad! They're equipped with cutting edge machines and weaponry. The military turns the battlefield over to them and pulls out.

Only, there's a greenhorn flying with the Skulls. "Princess Alto" insists he can fight, but the experts on the team aren't buying it.

Oh boy. Sit down.

VF-25S Messiah B/F (Ozma Lee)
Skills
Command L2
Prevail L5
Chain Actions
Spirits
Focus
Accel
Traits
Transform
Shield (Battleroid)
Weapons
(Battleroid)
Beam Machine Gun (5 EN)
Assault Knife (20 EN, pierce barriers)
Gunpod (10 ammo)
ISC Maneuver (4 ammo, 120 Will)
(Fighter)
25mm Beam Machine Gun (6 ammo)
Gunpod (10 ammo)
Homing Missile (6 ammo)
ISC Maneuver (4 ammo, 120 Will, ignore size)
Ace Bonus: Doubles the effect of the "F. Bomber Disc" part.

Ozma is the captain for a reason. He's good at what he does and he comes with superior stats, skills, and Spirits. His Ace Bonus is a reference to his love of Macross 7 rock band Fire Bomber, so basically it's worthless right now.

Valkyries of this generation can fly in atmosphere even in Battleroid mode, so their Fighter modes are primarily for extending their movement and range. The Gerwalk mode is animated but not something you can actually keep them in. Probably for the best - Gerwalks were all I ever used in Alpha. The Gunpod and ISC ammo are shared between forms.

Voice Watch: Ozma shares voice actor Katsuyuki Konishi with Kamina. If you're watching the W LP, Mr. Konishi was also the voice of Volfogg. (Let me know if I miss any of these things, by the way.)

VF-25G Messiah B/F (Mikhail "Michel" Blanc)
Skills
Offensive Support L2
Will+ (Hit)
Hit & Away
Spirits
Sense
Gain
Snipe
Traits
Transform
Shield (Battleroid)
Weapons
(Battleroid)
Sniper Rifle (10 ammo)
Sniper Rifle (Aimed) (5 ammo, 110 Will, ignore size)
(Fighter)
Sniper Rifle (10 ammo)
Homing Missile (6 ammo)
Ace Bonus: +15% Accuracy, 15% Evasion when adjacent to a female pilot (ally or enemy).

Watch that Ace Bonus. It's going to get sad in a moment.

Michel comes out the gate able to hit reliably from ridiculously long ranges. That's pretty much what he does. That and Support, like Lockon. His operating range is even longer in Battleroid form than Fighter form, so the jet is only used for getting around and dodging a little better.

Voice Watch: Hiroshi Kamiya was Tieria.

RVF-25 Messiah B/F (Luca Angeloni)
Skills
Offensive Support L1
Ammo Save
Ignore Size
Spirits
Scan
Traits
Transform
Shield (Battleroid)
Weapons
(Battleroid)
Gunpod (15 ammo)
Ghost (6 ammo, 120 Will, Hit down, pierce barriers, ignore size)
(Fighter)
25mm Beam Machine Gun (9 ammo)
Gunpod (15 ammo)
Homing Missile (9 ammo)
Ghost (6 ammo, 120 Will, Hit down, pierce barriers, ignore size)
Ace Bonus: SP cost of the Confuse spirit reduced to 40.

Luca has another Ace Bonus that's worthless right now, but Confuse is a ridiculously good Spirit. It's expensive, but for one turn, it halves the hit rate of every enemy (except the ones that have Strike for some reason), and Luca's going to get it on the extremely cheap.

His special move is releasing the Ghost drones, and you can see how good it is considering it also has quite a bit of ammo. Again check out how his Ammo Save skill has upped the clips on his weapons.

Voice Watch: Yes, another one. Jun Fukuyama has two completely different voices. One of them was Lelouche. The other is Luca.

Quadluun-Rea (Klan Klan)
Skills
Prevail L3
Resolve
Guad
Spirits
Guts
Focus
Traits
-
Weapons
Laser Pulse Gun (10 ammo)
Missile Launcher (8 ammo)
Impact Cannon (4 ammo)
Pixie Formation (3 ammo, 120 Will, pierce barriers, ignore size)
Ace Bonus: If Michel is on the map, gains +3 Will at the beginning of each player phase.

Oh thank god, something that doesn't transform.

Remember what I said about Michel's Ace Bonus? Yeah. Poor Klan.

VB-6 Koenig Monster G/S (Canaria Berstein)
Skills
Hit & Away
Offensive Support L1
Defensive Support L2
Spirits
Invincible
Traits
Transform
Weapons
(Gerwalk)
Quad Railgun (6 ammo)
Full Assault (2 ammo, 120 Will, ignore size)
(Shuttle)
Machine Turret (16 ammo)
Ace Bonus: Range of weapons other than range 1 and MAP weapons increased by 1.

WHY DOES EVERYTHING IN THIS SHOW TRANSFORM.

VF-25F Messiah B/F (Alto Saotome)
Skills
Prevail L6
Morale
Dash
Fortune
Spirits
Focus
Vigor
Luck
Traits
Transform
Shield (Battleroid)
Weapons
(Battleroid)
Beam Machine Gun (5 EN)
Assault Knife (20 EN)
Gunpod (10 ammo)
(Fighter)
Gunpod (10 ammo)
Homing Missile (6 ammo)
Ace Bonus: Can Transform after moving.

Also has the only Ace Bonus of the Skull Squad's VF pilots that's really usable right now. It essentially lets him use the speed of the Fighter form and the power of the Battleroid form at once. On the other hand, he has only the Messiah's basic weaponry - and you're reading the weapon list right, his is the only VF with an Assault Knife that can't slice barriers like butter.

Whew. Anyway, I'm going to cheat a little. This chapter is in two parts, and only the second really matters. The first automatically transitions to the second after all the Vajra are gone or on the third turn, but I don't really have any hope of taking all of them out in two turns on Hard, so I'm just going to skip two turns.

And on the third turn...

Another wave of Vajra arrives.

But before the squad can engage, the ship informs them that the dimensional barrier is bending. And it's not what they know as a "Fold" - space itself is being distorted.

It's a Dimensional Quake!

When the quake stops, all the stars have moved. And while the Macross is intact, its systems seem to have shut down.

The Vajra take advantage of the confusion to charge into the ship. Ozma orders Klan and Canaria to hold off the forces outside while they return to the island and intercept the intruders.

Pop star Sheryl Nome wants to know what's going on, so her manager Grace O'Connor uses her cybernetic implants to tap the airwaves. Isn't that only authorized for high-ranking military officers? Grace shrugs and begins waxing expositive about her cyborg implants and how the citizens of the Frontier don't have them yet.

The Vajra touch down in the city, but so do the defenders. Sheryl and Grace decide to get out of there.

Also present for no particular reason - Ozma's dear little sister Ranka, who is worried about her brother, and also Alto.

This half finally brings out the SR Point - clear the Vajra within three turns. And it's going to be a bitch.

I count eight little Vajra and three big ones, all upgraded and mad. Not to mention far away, and pretty tough. (By the way, leaving Klan and Canaria behind means Michel's Ace Bonus is also dead in the water.) Let me show you how we charge.

Because Ozma has Accel, he needs to move right in to deal with the bosses.

(Gilliam. This is where you fell defending our people.)
(I won't let your sacrifice go to waste! We're putting our lives on the line!)

There's your Gerwalk. (It's just a plane with legs.)

For the others, let's lead with Luca so Alto and Michel can take advantage of the Jamming field. Every bit helps.

Luca has okay evasion but has to move in, because I can't afford not to push in this chapter.

Luckily, he dodges.

Focus is extremely important for Alto because he's really low level even for this team of newcomers to the army.

After moving, he can either attack or transform and attack as a Battleroid.

I started fighting right here on Island 1. This is where I first got into a VF-25.
I have to fight! It may be a fake sky, but I still love it!

He manages to take it out.

He gains most of a level (one level is always 500 points). I wonder if the developers did that on purpose.

For Michel, I choose to prioritize moving south over attacking anything.

Half a phase over.

Time for Ozma to get to work.

He takes a hit, but hopefully this will just activate his Prevail.

In Macross, duels are fought with missiles. Lots of missiles.

Ozma continues ripping through the small Vajras.

Alto is threatened once again.

He's pretty good at maneuvering for a newbie.

But the others are still doing better.

Naturally, the big ones do nothing.

Ranka, what are you still doing here? Talking about how the Vajra make you feel weird inside?

Grace has identified the allied units as the private S. M. S.'s team, "including your boytoy Alto Saotome." Sheryl is worried about Alto, but remembers that he has her "good luck charm." He'll be fine.

Back to the fight!

Since the big Vajra are going to move next round, let's figure out how to engage them. They have 6 movement and a (P) attack ranged 3, so I can counterattack if I can get within 9 squares - but not 7 squares away, because then they can shoot me down with no chance of counter, wasting time and HP.

Here's 9 squares around the west-side boss. In theory, I can draw him if I can get anyone in that zone. In the meantime, why not take a few shots at the southerly one?

But first, Ozma shall be a good leader and show his men the way. Shooting down a Vajra gets him his extra turn from Chain Actions while giving an extra point of Will to the rest of the squad, and gets him in countering range of the eastern big Vajra.

Perfect!

Luca again leads the way for the others.

Michel, the sniper, takes a shot before he advances.

Which brings us at last to the boss bait, Alto.

He doesn't do much damage, but hopefully he made them both mad enough to attack.

I need Ozma to stay where he is and fight the straggler Vajras, so he picks off this one instead.

Michel and Ozma pick off some minions.

Finally, the leaders move, and Ozma finds himself in some trouble. I believe in him, though.

I don't know what "ISC" stands for, by the way.

Meanwhile, Alto is doing his job.

He survives the onslaught and does fair damage to both enemies.

Time to finish this.

First thing's first - Ozma picks off the last minor Vajra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5mEOLPumA
Then picks off the first boss with the ISC assault!

(Yes, the HP totals are wrong. I had to go back and rerecord the animation. Just enjoy the show.)

He learns Sense as a result.

Alto takes the second, reaching level almost-not-awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJU6MPzjMQ
And Michel takes the last (because he had the Will to use his special attack).

Just in time.

Michel leaves the last one alive so they can take it back for study.

But wait, it's still alive!

It heads away, straight for where Ranka is!

Ozma flies in to body block it.

In his rage, he destroys the Vajra. Ranka is in extreme shock. Canaria reveals that she has a form of psychogenic amnesia and can't remember her early life, but reacts powerfully to the Vajra and to the idea of anyone close to her dying.

President Howard Glass and his aide Leon Mishima are working hard to produce false news and squelch any panic. The story right now is that the Macross did an emergency Fold.

The President's daughter, Catherine "Cathy" Glass, brings the bad news - the Macross seems to have returned to Earth. And the worse news - it's clear that the Earth they're approaching is not the Earth they know. Mishima predicts that this Earth will send out a welcome wagon. That means the Fold story isn't going to last long, and Howard decides to let the citizens know anyway before another spaceship lets them know for him. He and Mishima hope that the worst problems are behind them... but Mishima seems to be putting his own secret plots into motion.

The entire S. M. S. squad is deploying next mission. We have seven other deployment slots, though. The selectable CB units we have on us are:
  • Wing Gundam
  • Gundam Deathscythe
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Gundam Kyrios
  • Gundam Virtue
  • Nova Eagle
  • Getter-1/2/3
  • Brasta

Pick seven (or more efficient, pick two to leave behind) and we'll pick up next chapter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I hear the show itself isn't that great, but I'll be damned if I don't like the Frontier music. Drop Duo and the Nova Eagle for the next mission.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Triangler is an amazing theme.

Drop Kyrios and the Nova Eagle.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Drop the Nova Eagle and...... the Brasta, because this is the non-canon route so try something different. :colbert:

So I'm not entirely clear on what just happened, the Macross was in its own world and just suddenly got sucked into the world that everyone else is in? Was it in a world of its own, or the world from Z1? What's a "fold"? Am I a dumbass and forgetting stuff that's already been explained?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Alacron posted:

Drop the Nova Eagle and...... the Brasta, because this is the non-canon route so try something different. :colbert:

So I'm not entirely clear on what just happened, the Macross was in its own world and just suddenly got sucked into the world that everyone else is in? Was it in a world of its own, or the world from Z1? What's a "fold"? Am I a dumbass and forgetting stuff that's already been explained?

They were sucked from the Macross universe to the Z2 universe. A Fold is a hyperspace jump in Macross; it happens instantly and has disastrous side-effects when not used properly (ie: being near a massive body can completely gently caress up your aim).

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I guess I have bad taste or something because I get excited when Macross F shows up. Anyway, you said to point out if you missed one, so: Alto shares a voice actor with Graham. Also, ditch Kyrios. And...I dunno. Wing Gundam I guess.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You know who never gets any breaks? Getter Robo. Every SRW game, nearly every path, dudes are out there kicking rear end and taking names. They need a well deserved vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ardeem posted:

You know who never gets any breaks? Getter Robo. Every SRW game, nearly every path, dudes are out there kicking rear end and taking names. They need a well deserved vacation.

Getter Robo has been left out of a few games actually. It isn't in J, K or L. Mazinger and Gundam (franchise, obviously) are the only ones in every game.

• Locked thread