Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Well I was just pretty much blindsighted by my employer and got myself terminated "effective immediately". Not that everything was honey and roses but I really thought everything was going fine. Then "swoosh", floor fell out from under me.

I'm in Vancouver (BC), got 2 years at Activision doing web and network programming in python (and django). Before that I got 4 years doing ruby/rails with isoHunt, including some PM work. Before that I had been doing "web design contracting" on and off part time for like 6 years. So that's 12 years of web experience, 6 of them doing "legitimate programming". All but the last 2 have involved a fair bit of remote work so I'm good with telecommuting. I do a fair bit of OSS work and have contributor credits in prototype.js, RSpec/Cucumber and Rails. I've worked ubuntu and centos as production systems, I'm reasonably comfortable with both MySQL and PostgreSQL and I've usually been the go-to-guy for git.

Contact me over PM if you think I can help you with something. I'm looking for something long-term but hey, since this was all such a perfect SURPRISE, I'm very much open to short term contract work as well, just so I can pay the bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Job Title: Technical Support Engineer

Responsibilities
- Install, maintain, upgrade and support computer equipment at numerous test center locations throughout the U.S.
- Perform Help Desk support to diagnose and troubleshoot PCs, networking, and - security and business applications.
- Assist in the specification, recommendation, installation and ongoing support of various automated systems (including PCs, servers, networking equipment, communications systems, video conferencing facilities, and more.)
- Configure and build-out PCs and perform software upgrades.
- Perform backups, monitor server logs, maintain asset inventory and assist with other operational checklist items.
- Manage software licenses and maintenance agreements.
- Extensive travel and some weekend work is required.

Requirements
- Minimum of 2 years of computer work related experiences.
- A+ and Network+ certifications are required. However, previous experience building and troubleshooting workstation/laptop systems will be considered.
- Must be MCP. MCSA or MCSE is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Windows desktop and server O/Ss, Active Directory, TCP/IP networking, security and authentication.
- Knowledgeable in MS Office applications installation, operation and support.
- Ability to communicate smoothly with staff and clients.
- Ability to construct correspondence that is appropriate, concise and grammatically correct.
- Consistently good team player with positive attitude.
- Ability to multitask and stay well organized in a fast-paced environment.

Who
Applied Measurement Professionals, Inc. (AMP) is a leading provider of licensure and certification examinations for professional organizations. We operate a nationwide testing network and maintain state-of-the-art computer systems serving thousands of clients at hundreds of locations throughout the U.S.

Why?
I work for this company and it's fantastic. Wonderful healthcare/dental, 401k plan with extremely generous company contribution, annual bonuses, paid vacation/sick days/mental health days/holidays, laid back but professional environment, non-micro managing boss. It's a great company and I love working here.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Job Seeker

Experience: 2 Years Salesforce (50% dev, 50% Systems analysis), 3 years QA, 3 Years Coding C#, Java, Javascript. I also have some time in QA jobs in software. I am vary good at automation type tasks.

What I'm looking for: Salesforce dev position or JR dev position in Java, C#.

What I'm NOT looking for: A job that required a hard core CS type programmer, I come from the Management Information Systems side of school, not Computer Science.

When can I start: Immediately - 1 week to relocate if outside Portland area

Availability: Full time

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

edit: n/m

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 1, 2012

talaena
Aug 30, 2003

Danger Mouse! Power House!
Job Seeker

Experience: 12 years HP Eloquence Software Development/Technical Support. No one uses this, so I guess I leverage other secondary languages. Perl, Python, PHP, Shell Scripting, Asterisk, HP/UX Admin, Linux knowledge. All at a level to be Jr/Mid-range programmer/admin. OnlY Eloquence is at a Sr level.

What I'm looking for: Jr/Mid range, nighttime Admin, IT, Support, Programming job to work in concert with my current job (going part time mornings). I can do a little of about anything. Or a full time Senior level job to replace current job.

What I'm NOT looking for: Java/C# - I'm not good at OOP, I guess I could get a Jr level Java position and learn OOP; but it's not my cup of tea.

When can I start: Immediately

Availability: Part time if night work or Full time if I replace my current job

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

Giving this another shot, still looking for something full time.

Job Seeker

Location: Philadelphia burbs, Pa (Will relo for the right position)

Experience: Corporate IT Director with fourteen years of infrastructure management work experience, specializing in the analysis, design, implementation, and testing of large-scale networks and strategic plans.

What I'm looking for: Network Administrator or IT Management position

What I'm NOT looking for: Tier 1 or 2 helpdesk

When can I start: yesterday

Availability: 80 hours a week

Contact: PM with an email address for a resume or email kb3yef at gmail.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
80 hours a week? :staredog:

So, just curious, but has anyone ever not gotten a job because your requested salary was too high?

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 30, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Wicaeed posted:

So, just curious, but has anyone ever not gotten a job because your requested salary was too high?

Yup. Happened to me. Wound up in the top 2 candidates for the job, they called and said my requested wage was over their available salary range and didn't want to negotiate down since the other candidate fit.

:negative:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Job Seeker

Experience: 4 year Bachelor's in Computer Science (graphics and visualization specialty) at Purdue University, 2012 graduate. Summer internship at Reverge Labs, game developers behind Skullgirls. Skilled in C/C++, C#, Java.

What I'm looking for: Entry-level programming job in the Games industry.

What I'm NOT looking for: IT.

When can I start: Immediately

Availability: Full-time.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
:woop: YOTJ time! Received an offer letter from a company today that offers a bit more than I am earning now, plus an 8% annual bonus.

I'm not entirely sold at this point and am trying to work my current employer to see if I can get a bit more money out of them before making a decision.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

be careful, getting the current employer to match is a tricky move. You can only play that card one time, and if they get wind you want to leave they might just replace you before you're ready to leave

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

skipdogg posted:

be careful, getting the current employer to match is a tricky move. You can only play that card one time, and if they get wind you want to leave they might just replace you before you're ready to leave

Yeah, I've never seen anyone that accepted a counteroffer last more than a few months.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I've never seen anyone that accepted a counteroffer last more than a few months.

Wow. Just laid off for bs reasons to be replaced for cheaper?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The counteroffer for money card is dangerous because your current employer realizes you're willing to leave for more money, and even after the counteroffer you're probably going to take off the next time someone offers you 5K more a year.... so they'll try to replace you on their schedule instead of being left hanging when you leave.

If you're unhappy with your current compensation level but like your job I think you're better off making an argument to your manager that you're worth more. Make a case for it and if they don't go for it, then you know it's time to move on.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

skipdogg posted:

The counteroffer for money card is dangerous because your current employer realizes you're willing to leave for more money, and even after the counteroffer you're probably going to take off the next time someone offers you 5K more a year.... so they'll try to replace you on their schedule instead of being left hanging when you leave.

Maneki Neko posted:

As with everything else in life, it depends.

I received a counter-offer in 1999 that was a 57% raise in pay and position change. I stayed at that company for 5 years after that, with two additional promotions along the way. My friend who started there as a college intern ended up in a VP position through annual counter-offers and was there for 12 years.

The most important financial transaction that you will negotiate is not the purchase of a house but your salary. It's a good thing to see how you're doing relative to the job market, and annual review time is the best time to do it.

As part of the annual review process for employees I have supervised, I have always encouraged them to update their resume to incorporate anything update-worthy that they have done over the past year. If they couldn't clearly communicate their increased value proposition, that was telling.

Most non-lovely managers want productive employees who feel like they are being fairly compensated. The loss of tribal knowledge, domain expertise, etc. through employee turnover in technical and knowledge worker positions generally isn't worth the incremental pay bump that would keep them.

Staff with an over-developed sense of entitlement who believe that getting to their desk on time 80% of the time is grounds for a performance bonus have a different time of it, but my anecdotal evidence finds that entry-level CJs who can create value tend to do well, even if the pinnacle of their professional aspiration is to be an extremely well-paid and highly appreciated CJ.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Maneki Neko posted:

I've observed largely the opposite. It's not treated as an unseemly thing at all when they want to retain you.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Job Title: Python and Javascript Developer

Responsibilities
* Developing javascript web applications on a python framework backend (either Pyramid, cherrypy or Django), in front of postgres databases.
** Definite focus on automated unit / functional test (e.g. Selenium, Sikuli)
** Being comfortable understanding the tradeoffs for different solutions along the practical <-> purity spectrum and using that to choose the "right" one.

Requirements
* US citizenship (e.g. not a visa, sucks, but a customer requirement)
* 5+ years working with javascript, python and/or other dynamic languages, or at least being very prepared to show your familiarity (year minimums are always tough, but the real requirement is for other developers to not have to do much mentoring before you're contributing)
* Although you wouldn't need to be interacting with customers or upper management very often, you do need to be comfortable articulating your ideas with fellow developers and talking with tech writers/QA on how things are supposed to work

Bonuses:
* Resume pointing to experience taking applications from conception to deployment touching on packaging, documentation, formal quality assurance.
* Open source contributions available in a github/bitbucket/pypi/etc profile

Who
100+ person network/computer security company servicing Fortune 100 (mostly financial) companies

Why?
Exceptional healthcare benefit, tuition reimbursement, competitive compensation (with yearly bonus and performance reviews), weekly catered meals, casual work environment with a bunch of folks happy to grab a board game over lunch or talk about the bike racing they ran this weekend.

Contact: rdennis (at) gmail.com with resumes. I'm the project manager and stepping back from full-time development, and add on some need to grow, that's what's prompting this hire.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 1, 2012

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

In my experience, it's the only way to get a raise in government, at least where I work.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Plastik posted:

In my experience, it's the only way to get a raise in government, at least where I work.

Yup, public sector you get your yearly 2% raise if economy is good or 0 if not. Otherwise you have to threaten to leave.

email
Sep 8, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yup. Happened to me. Wound up in the top 2 candidates for the job, they called and said my requested wage was over their available salary range and didn't want to negotiate down since the other candidate fit.

:negative:

I've been on the hiring side of a story like this and we just went with the other person. Now I usually ask up front what the expected range is and I let the candidate know what our different titles can pay.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

If you're unhappy with your current compensation level but like your job I think you're better off making an argument to your manager that you're worth more. Make a case for it and if they don't go for it, then you know it's time to move on.

Any employer that doesn't think its employees would leave for some amount of money is probably dangerously stupid and not a good place to work anyway.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Yah the only way the not lasting thing will happen is if its a place you are working at ONLY for the money and both you and the employer know you don't like each other.

Counter-offers and retention succeed where a business and their employees have a good relationship.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
After 3 months of riding the funemployment train with my severance package, I've finally scored a sweet gig doing a rotating R&D/Help Desk/On-site Tech for a shipping and sorting company no less than a week after my unemployed (but interning) girlfriend and I signed on an apartment. This could not be coming together at a better time.

I don't know where I channeled some of the interview answers I gave from though. I mean they were practical and insightful. Where I usually ramble on for 5 minutes I was succinct and efficient in my explanations.

year of the job...YEAR OF THE JOB!

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
YOTJ continues. I just got a great new gig doing network security at a Fortune 500, and leave an opening that my current employer is going to partially fill (I'm currently Director of Network Engineering, but they are looking to replace me with a staff-level Senior Network Engineer). PM me if you have any questions outside of the job posting.

Job Title: Senior Network Engineer

Responsibilities:
In charge of the non-RF network design, operation, and expansion for a large WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider).

Requirements:
Very strong IP routing skills, BGP, large-scale OSPF experience. Excellent troubleshooting skills. Strong communication skills and the willingness to mentor junior staff.

Desirables:
Wireless experience, including 802.11a/b/g/n, Ubiquiti, Motorola Canopy, WiMax, and various microwave backhauls. Cisco/Juniper/MikroTik experience.

Who:
An experienced Network Engineer with a service provider background who wants a challenge.

Why?:
Highly visible, dynamic position in a fast-paced organization. Excellent opportunity to exercise M&A skills, or add them to your resume.

Contact (and more details):
http://www.internetamerica.com/about-us/employment.php#sne1

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

got a job

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 18, 2012

namol
Mar 21, 2007
Bloop

namol fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 28, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My company is looking for Senior Software Engineers and Senior QA Engineers in the Austin, TX area. I'm just an IT guy who works here, but it's a pretty cool place to work. Good location, well funded established company, but the local office still has a bit of a start up feel to it. (Translation: Market pay, good equipment and software, good benefit package, but there's still a ping pong and Foosball table and a fridge full of sodas). Dress code is relaxed.

I really don't want to associate my company with my screen name here, but in general we're looking for people with 4 to 7+ years of programming experience. We have quite a few openings and a few different functional teams here working on different projects/products. One product is a Java server based piece of software, others are C/C++ on embedded devices. I know our greatest need is on the C/C++ side on our embedded products.

The QA positions want a BS, at least 3 years in QA, strong test automation skills, coding experience in Python, TCL and strong Linux skills.

PM or post contact info in this thread and I can send you more information. If anyone's figured out who I work for, please keep it to yourself. I'm hesitant to even post this but if I can help a Goon get a good job, it'll be worth it. To the best of my knowledge relocation is possible for the right candidate.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

skipdogg, for the QA positions, is there any contract work available? See my post a bit above yours.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BeefofAges posted:

skipdogg, for the QA positions, is there any contract work available? See my post a bit above yours.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We do use contract QA work but we source it through an outside firm. We don't really deal directly with contractors on a 1099 basis that often.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So my current employer has posted the job I am vacating on Craigslist http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/sad/3263089125.html

Feel free to PM and ask about what the job entails, although I am in no way the one in charge of recruiting for this position.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Hey goons! My work space is hiring a software developer!

Who we are: The Segal Company, an actuarial and benefits consulting firm with around 1500 employees across the US.
Where we are: This position is in New York City: specifically 34th between 8th and 9th, easily commutable from Port Authority Bus Terminal, Penn Station, and pretty much all major subway lines.
Job title: Software Developer. All these details come from the internal hiring request:

quote:

The Software Developer will develop and maintain enterprise software primarily in support of our investment-consulting affiliate. In addition, the Software Developer may be called upon to contribute to projects for other business units. The Software Developer will work closely with analysts and will be tasked with working through the entire systems development life cycle, including requirements gathering, design, coding, testing, and deployment.

Candidates should have a BS degree in computer science or related degree and 2 - 4 years of experience developing enterprise class Web-based and Client-Server applications in a Microsoft environment. Candidates should possess a strong knowledge of Microsoft platform including: Object-oriented programming; .Net; JavaScript; Crystal Reports; Active Reports; and SQL-Server. Qualified candidates will have experience working with Visual Studio, Team Foundation Server, and SQL Management Studio. Candidates must have excellent communication and analytical skills along with proven teamwork experience.

Why you'd want to work here: The workspace is very stable as is the environment. Actuarial and benefits consulting isn't exactly high finance or law firm tension. I work here in systems administration and I've found that the people are intelligent, especially in the IT sphere. There's zero nepotism and tons of collegiality; the engineers aren't ivory-tower jerks and the VP of my department, as well as the VP of the applications department, are very nice guys and not jerkish in any means. The hours are REAL EIGHT HOUR DAYS - as in your shift is seven hours and an hour's lunch. 8-4, 9-5, etc. This almost doesn't happen anymore.

The benefits packages are amazing and comprehensive. There's an actual pension as well as a 4% match 401k. Full health, dental, vision, Rx drug, you name it. 10 days paid vacation, 3 personal days, as many sick days as you need. Extra options for STD and LTD above and beyond and in addition to NY state disability. Employee MS licensing for personal use. Education benefits if you want to go for an advanced degree in your field. It's a really great suite of benefits. Lots of lifers in this company.

Why you wouldn't want to work here: There's not much dynamic growth. I am not a developer so I really wouldn't know what to say, but as a sysadmin, I'm kinda stunned how little impetus there is to start migrating away from 32-bit installs of Server 2003 R2. The testing and approval process for IT operational stuff could be construed as a bit onerous - but I think it's a lot better than going cowboy. There's plenty of testing to be done for MS patches. I'd imagine there's a similar process for developers, but I can inquire if there are questions.

Salary: Competitive. I got a decent boost coming on board. They don't pay crap for massive work. It is salaried, but they don't demand excessive after-hours and weekend work. Besides, it's a real 8-hour day, which definitely does not suck.

PM me with your resume and I'll get it right to the HR people. I had to go through two rounds before they made an offer, mostly because one of the hiring managers had odd availability. If you don't have PMs, you can email me at mjpbyron at gmail dot com.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm hiring a contractor position for my team and have been having a hell of a time finding decent candidates, but then I finally remembered this thread in SH/SC so I figured I'll give it a whirl here. I'll update the spreadsheet with the same information presently.

Who we are: Second largest bank in the US. Should be easy enough to figure out from there. :rolleyes:

Where we are: Headquartered in Charlotte, NC, but working remotely is perfectly fine (I'm in Texas, for example).

Job title: Business Analyst III
This is a lovely job title. The role is very much implementation consulting. My team deals in the technical implementation of analytics software into our websites.

What the hell would you be doing: There is a healthy dose of business analysis work (gathering requirements, writing specifications and other documentation, etc) but there is also a great deal of testing and troubleshooting rendered web pages for issues and errors, wherein we work very closely with development teams to report and resolve defects. So you'll need a very firm grasp on how the Internet works (bonus points are not awarded for telling me it's a series of tubes or a place to store cat pictures), JavaScript, and HTML. The ability to write the most basic of SQL queries and a good understanding of how databases work won't hurt either.

To be clear: this is not a development or coding position. My team does not write code hardly at all, save for the occasional library update or snippet to help out a clueless developer (of which there are many). This is a consulting role where a solid technical background (and the ability to write decent JavaScript) is required to be successful.

Why you'd want to work here: Clearly, the best reason is the jokes of questionable quality offered by yours truly. This is a full time contract position with the possibility of turning to permanent, but one never knows.

Why you wouldn't want to work here: This is a very large company and, as a result, has all the issues one would expect to deal with in a very large company. There are some people who are idiots (we laugh at them behind their backs regularly) and change is often slow to come. But this job deals specifically with telling the business how their doing in the online space, and the Internet isn't going away anytime soon, so it's pretty stable.

Salary: Not bad for contract work. Expect north of $40 per hour.

PM me with your resume and contact information. We'll likely do a phone screen interview and, if you're not a shitheel, a technical interview where I run you through a couple of very basic tests with JavaScript, DOM manipulation, and a few other fun things just to make sure you have the goods. I'm the hiring manager so the decision ultimately rests with me, but there will be another person or two involved in the interview process. If you don't have PMs, you can email me at my username at gmail.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 13, 2012

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Our project manager left a few months ago and I'm starting to go insane.

Note: embedding images in some areas to keep this from popping up in search engines

Who We Are is a web development agency that's been around since 1998 and for awhile was stuck doing things the ways things used to be done ten years ago. (a lot of their website still reflects that but I promise you our recent clients' sites look much better -- we have a designer that was featured on Smashing Magazine and I'm pretty good at coding poo poo) Things got kind of rough after clients began asking for things like dynamic sites running on top of content management systems, mobile sites, and responsive stuff so they brought me onboard last year and I've been working on bringing them up to the level of modern leading web dev agencies' operations / practices. As a result of that we've moved to an issue tracking system and are running things on an Agile / Scrum workflow.

Where we are: Frisco, TX. We're actually technically in Little Elm right now (Frisco Jr.) but we're about to move to Frisco Square. It'll be pretty rad when that happens, I'm excited about lunch / happy hour / etc.

Job Title: Project Manager / Account Manager / Scrum Master

What we're looking for: A people person that's organized, doesn't mind dealing with clients, isn't afraid to say no to clients or sales people trying to put a wrench into our workflow, and is familiar enough with the industry / what's involved in developing projects that they can accurately estimate timetables on projects and tasks (and isn't afraid to ask if they can't make a solid estimate on their own)

What we're not looking for: Someone that refers to themselves as a 'ninja' or a 'rockstar'. A goony neckbeard that's going to say yes to everything the client asks because he/she is bad at talking to people and is disorganized to the point of losing track of projects, tasks, and timetables or forgetting to write emails.

Why you'd want to work here: The company is pretty laid back -- we have an hour lunchbreak and no sort of IT policy on our computers, we can basically use them as if they were our own personal machines. A lot of those lunch breaks end up being spent playing video games such as Diablo 3, TF2, etc. or watching Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Newsroom, or whatever else is airing at the moment. We have 'beer friday' which is kind of like a beer show and tell. We're still a small company (8 people) so you have a large impact and there's zero bureaucracy. We're backed by an investor group and there's a good chance that the company's going to grow once we're in our new offices, so if you get in on the ground floor and stick with it there's a good chance it'll pay off. Casual dress code.

We're gradually moving away from doing stuff for clients and going into developing some startups -- is one, we're working on a ReachLocal competitor as well as some other things where we can actually try things out and make cool stuff and not be beholden to clients.

Pay is competitive and salaried but rarely if ever requires after-hours / weekend work. (I've only stayed late a couple of times and that was of my own volition, I wasn't pressured into doing it) Pretty good benefits package too.

PM me with your resume or email me at alex [at] [dot] com and I'll get it to the right people.

Requirements:
  • Talk to clients and organize projects -- liase between the client and the development (me) + design leads to plan out structured, feasible projects
  • Make sure projects don't scope creep, make sure that clients don't get unreasonable expectations re: features, timetables
  • Organize the projects and make sure that we're hitting deadlines, projects are on track, so on and so forth.
  • Make sure all tasks are in JIRA, assigned to the proper people, prioritized, and have deadlines / time estimates set
  • Conduct Scrum meetings, plan out sprints at the beginning of each week (1 week sprints)
  • Close out resolved tasks after verifying that they're done, QA / cross browser testing anything applicable, and updating the client
  • Be familiar enough with basic HTML / CSS / content management systems (90% of our stuff runs on Wordpress) that you're able to fill in and help out if things start piling up. If you can go above and beyond basic HTML / CSS that's fantastic.
  • We might want you to help the sales guys write proposals

Desired Skills
(this is more of a wishlist, don't be intimidated if you're not familiar with a lot of these things)
  • Some experience in the industry (software / IT works too)
  • If you've never messed with JIRA before, be sure to mention if you've dealt with something like Redmine, Basecamp, GoPlan, or any other issue / bug tracking system.
  • Linux familiarity
  • You do web related side projects / participate in FOSS (not super necessary for a project manager)
  • You spend time on design / development blogs, keep up to date with web standards and practices, what sort of features we can implement and new things we should try
  • Familiar with Wordpress, Drupal, Magento, SilverStripe (ugh), git / version control, HTML5, CSS3, responsive sites, etc.
  • You can talk our boss into sending us to SXSW

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Job Title : PC Technician

Any low level tech people in PA who want some contract work, there may be openings in downtown.

I work at a large bank and we are doing an asset refresh, which means we are just putting new PCs together with whatever applications are needed and switching them out.

This involves a lot of coordination with users and the ability to work on multiple problems and work with desktop support on things you don't know about because we have thousands of applications.

Requirements General helpdesk experience is always nice (you would work closely with desktop support so there is permanent position potential there). A+ and other basic certs will help quite a bit. Familiarity with imaging/PXE boot/cloning with ghost and troubleshooting.

It does involve a fair amount of unboxing crap so if you don't like some mild manual labor this isn't for you.

Pay is pretty good for what it is, as long as you aren't lazy and can work unsupervised. My manager is awesome.

PM me or email this username at gmail if you might be interested.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Job Freelance Website Development

Location Anywhere with a computer

Details I live in China and have been looking to start an e-commerce website here as we have some good connections with suppliers and also because The Economy and Money. I've visited a number of Chinese website developers looking to hire professionals to do the work but been extremely disappointed by what they say they can do vs what they can do. For example, this is the most popular website in China, homepage of like half a billion people - http://www.hao123.cn/ . Most Chinese webpages are really just like that, a collection of links, and I've been dicked around by these guys so many times I thought why not let goons give it a shot?

The basic structure of the website would be like this. You have a user authentication system and a purchasing system. Once you have purchased an item, your account unlocks the ability for you to upload a photograph/advertisement of your own design. Once you upload the photograph, a dynamic page is generated featuring your photograph with the product details, as well as the ability to share the link with social media like Facebook and Twitter. Any purchase through this generated page would then credit the photograph-creator with some amount of money from the total sales price. There also would exist a voting system to determine which products and ads are the most popular, I see no reason why it shouldn't be Facebook integrated rather than an internal voting system, so long as we'd be able to order uploaded content by number of votes.

I am pretty sure that this isn't a particularly complex idea but my web design experience is nil, I'd love to talk to someone who is willing to bid on the job. You can send me a PM and I can give you a more detailed pitch if you're looking for more info on how it works, or you can send me an email at ccferrara@gmail.com and I'll get back to you ASAP. Someone else recommended to me that I might also look at rentacoder.com, again I have no experience with that, and don't know how their prices would compare to freelancers here. Anyway, thanks for reading!

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 14, 2012

fork banger
Jan 3, 2001

Job: iOS Developer
Location: Must be living in Brisbane, Australia and be willing to work in our office

You can take our wild ideas (and those of our clients) then turn them in to a reality on an iOS device. You understand what makes a great, functional app because you're obsessed with usability and functionality.

Before sending us an e-mail to dazzle us about how amazing you are it’s important to understand the following:

- We play our music loudly
- We work really late when that’s what it takes
- We make a lot of really funny jokes, but in between the good ones we tell about 300 terrible ones
- We’re a small team and we’re probably going to stay that way

If you’re still interested, then God help you. Send your CV / Folio / Expression of interest / Bio in iambic pentameter to godhelpyou@flipcreative.com.au

chrispyman
Mar 24, 2005

The Original 8-bit Burninator
Edit: Found a new job!

chrispyman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 29, 2012

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Job: Software Engineer
Who we are: An international agricultural bank. This is honestly an awesome place to work and the people are fun but super-driven. The benefits are great as are the salaries. The corporate structure is not too crazy, either.

What we're looking for: Somebody who's motivated and knows his or her stuff. You will be expected to be professional and engaged in your duties. You'll also be able to rely on your coworkers and management to help you when you need it.

There are three of these positions available. There is consideration given to people who are recommended by current employees, so if you're interested, please PM me, or email me at reachergilt+job@gmail.com and let's talk. Having said that: I'm not the hiring manager here, but I don't want to work with idiots. I want to make sure we can work together and that I'm comfortable recommending you as a professional.

The listed requirements are pretty in depth, but we "hire to fit" as well as to skills -- don't sweat it if you're not 100% on everything (for instance, I don't have a degree).

quote:

Required Qualifications

Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering or relevant discipline
4+ years MS development technologies including: C#/VB.NET, SQL Server and ASP.NET
Additional related skill sets include CSS, HTML, IIS configuration and XML
4+ years MS SQL Server tools and database design concepts including SQL, Stored Procedures, Triggers, SSIS and SSRS
2+ years direct experience with Java Script including AJAX, JQuery, and JSON
Familiarity with Source Code Control tools such as TFS or Visual Source Safe
Experience with at least one system design/development methodology (RUP, TDD, BIM)
Preferred Qualifications

Experience with Secure application Development (OWASP top 10, Threat Modeling etc.)
Familiarity with ASP. NET MVC
Familiarity with reporting and automated job scheduling tools
Exposure to SharePoint, HTML5, Oracle, Unix or PeopleSoft (SQR & PeopleTools)
Financial Services industry experience

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Job Seeker

Experience: Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science (Less math, more electives, not ABET accredited) Have been using and setting up computers since I was young. Worked 3 years as an Engineer at my college radio station which involved more IT than EE work. Experience programming Java, C++, Visual Basic and SQL. Low GPA. No Internships, A+, or Network+.

What I'm looking for: I'm open for almost anything, although jobs where I setup/maintain equipment is preferred.

What I'm NOT looking for: Phone support

When can I start: Within two weeks of hire, but can be ready in as little as two days.

Availability: Full time

Edit: Changed NOT category and modified experience. Removed e-mail address.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I was going to post a job I found but it's for a company I don't know anything about that I came across while researching something about startups. Is that cool for this thread or should I hold off?