Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
I've been playing through AWDS again and am rolling through the hard campaign with Hachi / Kanbei. They have no bonus tag power combo but it's pretty sweet to deploy super cheap units everywhere, then switch to Kanbei and surge forward with your extremely powerful neigh indestructible units; It's like the Colin / Kanbei combo on crack.
That game is so easy to break though so it hardly feels like you're cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Alkydere posted:

I've got to finish the standard campaign first. Which I'm only 1.5 missions from doing actually (just need mission 27 commented on). Then I'll be able to buy all the unlocked COs due to the grinding did (and can do since I still have a save there) on the goddamned Oozium mission.

Incidentally, those two are also the best combo for the hard mode version of that mission. It's literally free money and ranks.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Paul.Power posted:

Ahaha.

AHAHAHAHAHA.

That would be pretty drat glorious, wouldn't it? Let's go with it.
Yeah, Hachi is a broken CO in any situation, but he tears pre-deps apart.

Hachi on a pre-deployed map. Oh this is going to be HILARIOUS!:unsmigghh:

Fedule is right though, after all the EXCELLENT work you've put in you've EARNED the right to use Hachi on a pre-deployed map.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Fedule posted:

Hachi on a predeployed map. Go on. You've earned it.

Hang on, what's so special about Hachi on a pre-deployed map? I'm looking at the Advance Wars Wiki, and it looks more like he'd do well on a map with a number of bases, what with his discount to building and—

… oh.

… oh!

Ooooooooh. :devil:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

unpronounceable posted:

I don't see how this is relevant. I had to look it up, but all his CO ability does is...oh. OH! :aaa:

I wholly agree with this statement.

I just looked up his CO power. Mother of god....

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I've not played Advanced Wars before and I've been thinking of doing it. I looked up the CO powers, but I don't really get why he's so good, especially with pre-deployed force. From what I read, he's 100/100, but has cheap units without Colin's weakness.

I'm missing something...

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I've not played Advanced Wars before and I've been thinking of doing it. I looked up the CO powers, but I don't really get why he's so good, especially with pre-deployed force. From what I read, he's 100/100, but has cheap units without Colin's weakness.

I'm missing something...
Check out his Super CO Power again.

e: to clarify, technically Hachi isn't broken on any old predeployed map. Just the ones with a few cities.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 6, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Iced Cocoa posted:

I'm missing something...

Not just maps with a pre-deployed force, per se. Imagine him being on a map without any unit producing facilities.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Been a little slow of late (mostly because I've been working on solutions for Guavamoment's Spacechem LP ;)), but I'm gradually running through the gears - or at least, through some missions leading up to the Operation Orange Star version of The Final Battle.

Thing is, I said a while back that I would do a run of Enigma as Sami, and I thought I'd try and get it done now. But...

... it's going a bit tough. Without Max's capacity to, e.g., one-shot Sturm's navy without taking counterattack damage, Sami's struggling a bit. So a quick mini-vote: should I press on with Sami for a highlights reel, or just go back and sic Max on Sturm?

e: actually I can probably do this anyway, just might take a while. Still, now you know what I'm up to, at least.

e2: Well, beat it. Messy, though. I'll get the highlights reel up at some point.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 9, 2012

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Glad we could help :downs:!

rokstedy
May 17, 2010

I CONTROL THE TIDES
I just found this game at my house and have started playing (just starting the advanced campaign now.)

Anyone else still playing??

There's some autistic kid who shows you how to S rank on every war room level who is p sweet though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59plDcL1ao (youtube playlist)

it's such a good game, drat

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Highlights Reel: Enigma as Sami

Apologies for the delay. A bunch of Spacechem and Total Annihilation happened, thanks to their respective LPs. Things are going to continue to be slow here for a while , but I figured I'd better work on this highlights reel today. Though saying that, this drags out for such a long time that the only "highlights reel"-y thing about it is the lack of arrows.

So, we're heading back to Enigma, and I'm going to be trying out Sami here. This turned out a lot tougher than I expected it would back when I blithely said I'd have a go at it.

For those keeping count, this is on the Operation Orange Star save, and it directly precedes the coming mission. We should get to see some of the problems we'll be facing when we use Sami in The Final Battle (though to be fair, the only real problem is that she isn't Max).

End of day 1, and a similar start to the main run of this mission. I mess up a bit here, really: should've put the infantry in the APC and the mech in the T copter. This way round I lose some of the "leapfrogging" ability that the extra move speed of infantry gives me.

On to day 2, and here we see where Sami (or anyone who isn't Max, really) can suffer on this mission. We can't one-shot Sturm's sub with ours - so not only does that slow things down, but our sub takes counterattack damage.

Day 3, and although we finish that sub off this turn, our sub's now down to 5HP (because Sturm attacked it on his turn). We've grabbed the base and port, but now we've got to do the bomber tango.

Tank messes up a recon, and other things move forward. Left my mech horribly exposed to that tank, though...

Yeah, owch. Oh well, life goes on. Mech retreats, rockets and medium tank take on Sturm's capturing infantry and tank respectively.

Battleships and bombers, oh my! (if this were Max, that battleship'd probably be dead by now).

Not looking good, my medium tank's been smashed down to 2HP, the middle infantry is under siege and that bomber is roaming around unchecked. This was around the point where I considered giving up.

But courage! Rockets and artillery take down Sturm's medium tank (unsurprisingly, there'll be far more use of indirects here with Sami than there was with Max) and I take another stab at grabbing the city. Hopefully this time the APC will attract Sturm's fire.

Other general movement of stuff, as the sub knocks the battleship down to 4HP.

Gotta go fast. Relatively speaking.

If nothing else, we can use it to have our 2HP mech kill a 3HP tank. Although we had luck on our side (random fact time: an opponent's defence has an effect on the luck damage you can do as well as the regular damage. So AW1 Campaign Sturm's weakened defence increases luck damage too).

Getting a couple of HP of damage in on the rocket launcher with our medium tank, and moving some indirects up to shoot the rockets. This means it can shoot them too, naturally. But with a 2-to-1 advantage, we should be in the clear.

Finishing off that battleship.

Day... 7, I think? Easy to lose track of time with these things. Anyway, Sturm's rocket launcher decided to take on my capturing mech rather than any of my own indirects. That's great for the indirects, but it is going to make grabbing the base harder. Luckily, we've got Sami. So we've already grabbed 15 of the 20 capture points, and with a 2HP mech we can grab 3 more this turn, leaving only two to go.

First, let's blatt the rocket launcher.

Then this arty can kill the 3HP AA and my 3HP infantry can take its place, protecting the mech's flank from that infantry unit. I also join the two 2HP mechs together for some extra insurance.

AA attacks bomber, and the sub returns to port for some healing, fuel and ammo.

Basically it for this turn.

Day 8, and we've successfully grabbed the base.

But only just. The 2HP medium tank went down to light tank fire, and Sturm could have spoiled my day if he'd actually attacked with that infantry unit instead of moving it up next to my mech and then not firing. AIs :shrug:.

I'll take it, though. Arty and rockets work together to take down that infantry unit, and the tank that finished off my middie for good measure. That fighter goes down to missile fire, too.

3HP infantry takes down 2HP infantry, AA finishes off bomber and I build a lander to go grab that airport. Should be fairly easy to avoid the submarine, I hope. Something I should point out, though - Sturm's built a cruiser from that port. This could be awkward for our own sub...

Day 9. Sturm's lost his big guns for now, but he's continuing to harass me.

Nope. One rocket takes on the AA while my own AA smashes up that mech.

The other rocket launcher and the 4HP arty take down the infantry, and the full-health arty moves up there out of the way. Which lets the mech come down to finish off the AA.

Lander heads off on its journey, but I've made two mistakes here. Can you spot them?

Yep. I didn't move that 9HP AA, which left it in range of a rocket launcher. And parking my sub in port wasn't enough to take it outside of cruiser range.

I build a cruiser of my own, thinking about taking down Sturm's remaining sub and fighter. Turns out that that cruiser's in rocket range, though.

Better send an APC up to for the cruiser. Bringing all the indirects in close as well (hoping that the APC will tank for them, too), while up in the north I attack an infantry unit with a mech.

Day 11, and Sturm's last turn didn't go great for us. The APC got one-shotted (should really have anticipated that, given Sturm and it being on a road), leading to my arties taking some nasty punishment from their opposite numbers.

Rockets and AA get some revenge.

Cruiser heads out to tackle the fighter and submarine, and I start capturing the airport. Meanwhile in the south, rocket launchers start to mass up.

That cruiser's in for a bit of a shock, though. Sturm's submarine decides that, yeah, he can take me. And to be fair, dealing 3HP of damage to the cruiser and only getting 5HP of damage done in return is not too bad. It's also going to slow my takedown of the fighter.

Meanwhile, Sturm tries to storm the bridge with a mech in a T copter.

Doesn't really work out for him. His AA falls to rocket fire, too.

Taking on the fighter now rather than finishing the sub. We need clear airspace for our airport to be useful.

Let's get a medium tank. Sami's aren't the best, but they're better than Grit's and it'll still do above average damage thanks to Sturm's defensive penalty. It just won't be cutting through him quite like a Max middie would.

Day 13, and it's time for more doubling. Not that my mechs will be doing much, but the little boost for the other units should come in handy.

Down goes an AA.

Infantry and APC take a beating, too. I move the 2HP artillery up to act as bait, keeping the rocket launcher pinned in place so my directs can deal with it next turn.

And the fighter's down to 1HP.

The 2HP arty does its duty.

Sturm attacked my new B copter with his 1HP fighter, but the airport healed up any damage.

And after using my rocket launcher to take out... something (memory can be a fragile thing), I've got a clear route through to Sturm's rockets.

Cruiser deals with the fighter, and the B copter goes out and picks a fight with Sturm's cruiser. Comes out of the engagement fairly well, considering. Note that I essentially sacrificed it to the missile launcher, though.

Back on land, the medium tank pulverises that rocket launcher, and a mech and AA take care of the transports.

Once more we play Orange Star's national pastime of moving everything up.

There goes the B copter :(.

Day 15, and time to try and get inside the range of this second set of rockets. Although there are plenty of other threats around. But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

Elsewhere, my bomber takes care of the damaged cruiser, while my own cruiser puts down the sub.

A ton of movement.

Hmm. Sturm built another cruiser, while his AA trashed my mech. And now that AA is stopping my medium tank from reaching the rockets. I guess that is kind of the worst that could've happened.

Oh well. Bomber attacks the new cruiser, and I produce a second one.

Middie can't quite kill the AA. But Sami's souped-up infantry manages to chip 3HP off the rocket launcher, which is pretty good going.

It's also enough to charge up Double Time again.

My infantry use their extended range and mountain-climbing ability to take the fight to this mech over the mountains.

More unit movement.

Sturm's got some nasty moves, though.

Nasty, nasty moves.

It's not the end of the world though, we've still got some good units around here.

Although our AA isn't quite enough to kill that infantry hiding in the forest. Dammit, fellers.

I mean, we've got another rocket launcher that can finish it off, and then our middie can go through and destroy the 4HP rocket launcher easily enough, but it's the principle of the thing.

Bomber leads an assault on this beachhead, while I send a speculative mech in on a lander.

Sturm's cruiser has other ideas, though. Nasty damage, there.

The mech's okay to begin capturing, though. Although there's something I didn't notice at the time.

Yeah, that battleship's going to leave my mech in quite a bit of pain.

Oh well. The missile launcher over here's down, thanks to the combined efforts of a rocket launcher and an infantry unit. I've also built a battleship.

Keep movin', movin', movin'.

Battleship gets its attack in :(.

Day... 19, I think? Yeah, this one's going to be rolling for a while yet. We're pushing ever closer to Sturm's base, though.

But hey, we've got B copters, bombers, a battleship... we've got this covered.

Plenty of action as rockets smash AA, medium tank takes on APC (... down to 1HP again. Dammit, Sami) and my 4HP bomber starts chipping away at Sturm's battleship. It's found a nice spot inside the range shadow of the missile launcher, and importantly no AAs can hit it unless the missiles move away.

Yet more moving of stuff.

My mech couldn't complete the capture, unfortunately :(.

Hmm, CO power bar's nearly full.

A couple of rocket attacks will sort that for us, and we get yet another Double Time. At least they're frequent.

Gratuitous 3HP-mech-taking-down-1HP-AA shot.

Fighting in these mountains is tough, but I think we're making headway.

The main army continues to grind forwards. Light tank down, battleship at 3HP and I'm moving my own battleship in for some area denial work.

Day probably 21, and there continues to be a pitched battle in the mountains. But my rockets should be able to solve that this turn.

First though, let's keep working at Sturm's coastal defences. Bomber finishes off battleship, my own battleship takes a big chunk out of the missile launcher and the medium tank gets rid of that 7HP AA.

We have a bit of a problem now, though - I'm now in medium tank range. APC rolls up for decoy duty (also, as promised, the rockets work their magic over in the mountains).

There was a 4HP mech trying to make its way over to my HQ. The infantry that I've been spamming to try and give me a non-abysmal technique score deal with it fine, though.

Bomber moves down, and I fumble and accidentally build a B copter instead of another bomber Oh well, I'm sure we'll find a use for it.

. But an APC can only do so much decoy work.

Sturm's middie rolls through and gets the AA behind it.

But you know what? We've still got our big guns. We can cope.

Sturm's front line evaporates under bomber, battleship and medium tank fire.

More moving up.

Although this infantry gets punished for its bravery.

Rockets? Yeah, those are going to do a lot of good at this stage.

Or not :cheeky:.

Making sure Sturm's bases are all blocked up. With him unable to produce any more units, we should have this wrapped up next turn.

He's going down swinging, though, dealing some damage to my medium tank.

The 24th and final day.

A few attacks later, we've only got one arty to finish off.

Bomber can't quite seal the deal, but that's what B copters are for. And that's a victory with Sami on Enigma!

... start singing showtunes. And nobody wants that to happen. But yeah, although it was a victory, it was a messy one. No particular area let us down, but between Speed, Power and Technique penalties it was enough to drag us into a B.

Next time on Advance Wars, I finally stop stalling and get on with Operation Orange Star. Tune in for...

... Max and Sami getting pissed off!

... and Grit and Drake chipping in some troops to help us out! (The in-game reason why Max and Sami are playing with blue and green colours in The Final Battle). Fun times.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to the amazing adventures of Team Orange Star.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

A bit of a shame that Max and Sami don't have slightly different shades of Orange troops to drown Sturm in a wave of Orange versus Black. Or Crush him with all of the oranges.

(I tried so hard to reference other CO powers...)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mission 21AMS: The Final Battle! as Andy, Max and Sami (or "Operation Orange Star") - Part 1

Well, here we are again.

words
oh no not WORDS
'fraid so

Yeah, I'm running short on material.

Funny how, if you take a certain route through it, AW1's Campaign is only 17 missions long. Then again, you can clear AW2 in 25* missions rather than the full 34 if you cut enough corners, so maybe not. Anyway, we've got three of my favourite CO theme tunes on the field today, so give it up for Andy's Anthem, Sami's Theme and Sturm's Theme. Oh, and Max's Theme too, I guess. Well, at least he gets to be MVP.

* I think you're forced to do all eight missions in Orange Star, but in Blue Moon, Yellow Comet and Green Earth you can just go "beat two of the first set of CO-specific missions --> beat two of the second set of CO-specific missions --> beat the factory", making them only five missions each. Granted, you miss out on a lot of fun with that approach...

Day 1 - Andy

hey grit
what in the wacky world of wild west gunslinger clichés is goin' on in here?
words
oh no not WORDS
'fraid so
WORDS? now i'm mad!... what's an adverb, again?

All right, enough, enough. Let's get on to some actually new dialogue:

And you know what else? Sturm is goin' down!

Hold on, Max! Andy's takin' this one, right?

Not like I was given a choice in the matter.

Oh, yeah. You're right.
Don't give me that long face. Oh, all right, big dawg. You can use my troops.
What? Really? I owe you, Grit!

But won't they all be artilleries and rockets and whatnot?

OK, Paul! Now I'm in, too!

But hey, who cares? We've got Max on our side, and that is HUGE.

Sturm! I can't stand power-hungry blockheads like that!

Y'know, there could have been something about Eagle here, or maybe something about Sonja, but nah, let's just go down the power-hungry blockheads route.

You're a bit steamed, eh, Sami?
Captain Drake! How did you...?

I wish I'd kept a count of the number of times Our Heroes use the phrase "Captain Drake!", same way I did with "It's your turn" in Field Training.

I got Green Earth all straightened out. So, I thought I'd come deliver my army.
These Green Earth troops? I can use them?
Naturally! I deployed them especially for you!
All right, then! I'm ready when you are, Paul!

All right then, here we go with Operation Orange Star!

so i guess this is the bit where we fight the bad guy or something

Yes, Andy, yes it is. And Drake wasn't kidding: three infantry and three mechs is certainly a deployment designed with Sami in mind. And fortunately for us, Grit letting Max use his troops hasn't led to the Blue Brawler (well, we've had Blue Blur and Blue Bomber...) being lumbered with artillery, rockets and missiles. Instead we've got a nice selection of medium tanks, light tanks and AA to work with. It's not quite as awesome as Kanbei's starting deployment of four medium tanks, but on the other hand it's going to be considerably easier for Max to churn out more middies later on. Random note, although Max and Sami aren't using orange-coloured units, it is at least appropriate that the guy in blue gets the blue units and the gal in green gets the green ones.

Unsurprisingly, Max is going to be doing the heavy lifting here - supporting Andy from behind while also looking to flank Sturm from the left. The only tricky part will be avoiding Meteor Strikes as his forces start to clump together with Andy's in the middle. Speaking of Meteor Strikes... well, Sami's role is going to be very specialised here. Even more so than Grit and Olaf were in the previous Final Battles. It's not the biggest problem ever because Max can do the work of two COs, but yeah, this mission isn't going to be a fun watch for Sami fans. Still, I'm going to build a few mechs from the northern base and send them over Sturm's mountains. See if they can't help Max and Andy finish this off.

Anyway, let's get cracking. Starting off with the usual two opening captures.

I'm doing my damnedest here to make sure that this AA can hit as much as possible. I'm fed up with Sturm hiding units behind things.

And to sweeten the deal, I'm going to draw him in with the APC and T copter on Day 1 this time. They're going down anyway, so may as well get the out of the way early.

The usual unit spreading follows.

Day 1 - Max

No indeed, Max.

As usual, I send the AA north, hoping to intercept Sturm's air force.

The tanks head east though, preparing to bolster Andy from behind.

Day 1 - Sami

Obligatory mention of Eagle. Nothing about Sonja though, still. You know, I think they've kind of forgotten that Sturm captured her by this point. Grit and Kanbei are pretty much the only two COs really thinking about that.

Anyway yeah, rapid capturing wooo.

Yet more heading upfield in a bit to squash Sturm's air force.

Day 1 - Sturm

words

Well, he's certainly fallen for the bait. The -y, -y bait.

Day 2 - Andy

Sturm always seems to find a way to get the better of me, though. He's only sent one bomber over to Max, while Andy now has too many units to deal with in one go.

It's not a huge deal, though. I can take down a bomber with Andy's missile launcher...

... while the AAs can chew on some fighters. Again, thanks to Sturm's terrible defence we're getting some good damage in here.

Arrow-o-vision. Sami should be able to handle the rest of Sturm's air units in the east.

Yet more spreading out.

Day 2 - Max

Max is up, and we've got four AAs to deal with one bomber. Overkill much.

But then, Max is no stranger to overkill :smug:.

Sending another AA up to the bridge, just in case Sturm has a brainstorm (brainsturm? Yesss another Sturm pun) and leaves an air unit sitting around over here.

The tanks spread out, with one middie heading towards Andy while the other has a quiet sit in the corner for a bit. Yes, it's quite possible that I'm a bit too cautious in these opening turns.

Day 2 - Sami

Back to plane-hunting with Sami.

The full HP fighter on this side goes down to missile fire.

And then Sami does to the bombers what Andy did to the fighters.

Shooting outside the frame of the picture. Anyway, the rest of Sami's troops bunch together in preparation for the inevitable...

Day 2 - Sturm

SPESS MEHRENS! Today the enemy is at our door!

We know our duty and we will do it!
Easy for you to say, you're fighting with borrowed troops...
also why are you quoting that

Andy's horribly exposed missile launcher goes down.

His AA takes a battering, too.

And there goes the infantry on the airport. Pretty much the same as the previous Final Battles.

Day 3 - Andy

Hmm... CO power's charged...

... and you know what, I'm going to use it. Even though the only damaged unit is a 2HP AA.

See, as a 4HP AA it can still do serious damage to this B copter. Although it does lose one of the two hit points it just picked up from Hyper Repair in the process.

And my other AAs can take on the rest of Sturm's air force.

I prioritised the fighter over clearing out that B copter in the middle; Sami can take care of it.

With the air force nobbled, it's time for some tank action.

One middie gets an attack in, but I decide to keep the other in reserve, given Sturm has a medium tank of his own lurking. Possibly not the best decision, but not too bad.

Infantry capture, B copter wanders over here to lure Sturm's 2HP fighter into Max's waiting AAs.

And we'll finish Andy's turn by chipping off another hit point off this B copter.

Day 3 - Max

Wait... did Sturm just...

... yes, yes he did.

Don't even care if that AA gets shot up next turn, taking out a bomber before it can reach Andy's lines is priceless.

Keep rollin', rollin', rollin' (the good song with that lyric).

Day 3 - Sami

Quite a bit for Sami to get done here: we're recovering from a Meteor Strike, and our AAs have stuff to do.

The AAs get to work.

Sturm's air force has taken some big hits this turn, although Sami's AAs are pretty vulnerable to a counterattack here.

Oh well. We've got units to join up, and a base to capture here in the north.

More joining, and let's have some mechs.

Day 3 - Sturm

It's a big turn for Sturm, this one. I'm going to leave these without commentary.

... yeah.

Day 4 - Andy

Ffffffflippin' 'eck. Sami's AAs are gone, and Sturm's all over Andy. But Andy does have some good units left.

As these AAs kindly demonstrate for us.

That's a full-health B copter and a 4HP AA down.

This medium tank chows down on an AA.

And B copter destroys B copter, as another AA gets the medium tank treatment.

Pretty good turn, that.

We've got to be watchful of Sturm's power bar, though. Sami's in no shape to take another Meteor Strike just yet, and Andy's got a juicy cluster of units there.

So we'll call it a day for Andy here.

Day 4 - Max

Now, because of Sturm's power bar, I decide to play it safe with Max.

He's going to stay back here for now. I was probably stupidly overcautious here, there was no real reason to retreat Max as far as I did. Still, we'll see how it goes.

Max does get to see some action this turn, as I take down... probably a B copter. Whatever it was, it doesn't fill Sturm's power bar up completely, so that's okay.

That AA might just be in trouble, though. I leave a tank and another AA behind it as reinforcements.

And although Max's middies haven't seen any action yet, that's no excuse for not building a third one.

Day 4 - Sami

Sami's got a full power meter.

Bit of a shot to nothing, but let's use her CO Power. And a CO quote that pretty much sums up AW's bizarre approach to the measure of CO and non-CO lives.

Anyway, using the extra movement to drag some of Sami's mechs back and begin bunching everything together.

Capturing the base up here and hmm, can we distract one of Sturm's medium tanks away with an APC?

Yep. Although I don't really know why I moved the APC away from the infantry. I'm taking a big risk on the power of here...

Day 4 - Sturm

Another highly violent turn from Sturm here.

Some good news though: Sturm did indeed target Sami's 2HP APC, wasting one of his medium tanks. strikes again...

And that's Sturm done with for now.

Day 5 - Andy

Yet again, Andy's stuck on the back foot. That doesn't mean he can't pull his way out of trouble though (it is a cricket joke :boonie: )

The medium tanks mix it up, one-shotting an AA and tearing a good chunk out of Sturm's middie.

Although I noticed something after these attacks...

... I've got an artillery in range here. Darn it, I could have saved a hit point on my 9HP medium tank.

Oh well. AA gets an attack of opportunity in on this infantry up here.

Sturm still has some units hanging around my base, but Max can take care of them for me.

Day 5 - Max

Although first he's got something to take care of in the north.

Another B copter gets taken down before it can reach Andy.

Back in the south, it's time for some fun.

Tank down. Not quite sure how the AA survived, but that city's defence cover probably helped there.

We're whittling Sturm down, here.

And Max gets his first B copter.

Day 5 - Sami

Base successfully captured.

And Sami should be able to distract the meteor here. Although I wasn't completely efficient in terms of arranging everything so it gets hit by the meteor. But that ends up being a blessing.

Day 5 - Sturm

Certainly it's enough to distract the meteor.

Sturm decides he's had enough of Max's AA shenanigans and brings out the big guns.

As well as the smaller guns.

At least Sami's still doing a sterling job of distracting this medium tank.

Day 6 - Andy

And it's looking good. Max can cover Andy's rear here while Andy presses forward into that mob of infantry.

First up, let's humiliate this 2HP AA by using a B copter to finish it off.

Then we can get stuck in to these infantry.

Lots and lots of arrows.

Building a fighter to try and pin down air superiority. I realise it looks weird building that fighter right next to an AA, but Max can take care of that.

Day 6 - Max

Oh boy can Max take care of that.

That's a nice, healthy amount of overkill.

AA down, tank down.

This should keep Andy's base secure for a while.

And there's plenty more where that came from.

Back in the northwest, let's see what Max Force can do for B copters.

... quite a bit. Knocking a medium tank down to half health with a B copter is pretty drat amazing (thinking about it, between Max's day-to-day, Max Force, and Sturm's poor defence I'm doing twice the "standard" amount of damage here).

APC moves up to do some work distracting Sturm's bomber, as the 5HP AA retreats.

I can take down Sturm's own 5HP AA too.

Day 6 - Sami

As I say, it's a good job I didn't arrange my Meteor Strike pattern for Sami properly, because this way we've still got two full-health mechs left.

They can start getting to work on Sturm's lost medium tank.

Well, we're here to make sure it stays lost. That's the middie surrounded on two sides...

... and now it's surrounded on all four sides. Death by chip damage awaits.

And I get to work capturing an airport that I'm never going to use. But hey, it's another 1000G per turn.

Day 6 - Sturm

Fairly quiet turn for Sturm, starting off with a double dose of .

And finishing with him knocking a Max tank down to half health, but losing a hit point of his own in the process.

Day 7 - Andy

Andy has lots to do today. There's a medium tank lurking at the back there, but we can't worry about it too much.

First we can take care of this AA. I want to repeat this dose on the other side, with my own AA taking down Sturm's B copter, but as it stands there isn't a route through to it.

So let's make one.

There we go, that gives the AA the wiggle room it needs to target that B copter.

Which it does. My own B copter follows up by trashing some infantry.

Looking good so far.

I get in another attack on some infantry...

... and do all the moving and building I need. The fighter's staying back for now, which is why I had the AA kill that B copter: I don't want this expensive unit getting wrecked straight away. Again, a bit of timidity that might cost me a bit, but hopefully not too much.

Day 7 - Max

Now then, Max has some pests to take care of.

Which he does pretty effectively.

And so we move from the northwest to the centre. Max's middies are looking a little low on fuel - at some point we're going to have to get some APCs out there to refuel them. Fuel and ammo for medium tanks was a perennial problem in the previous two runs of this, so we need to watch ourselves.

Oh well, the light tanks can keep themselves busy, at least.

We've got pretty good control of this side of the river now.

And we're edging our way on to the other side, too.

Day 7 - Sami

Right then, chip damage time.

2HP arty does a good job knocking another two hit points off this medium tank, and the full-health mech wades in to take off a further 2HP.

So we just need something to finish the job.

This 6HP mech obliges. Sami may not be doing much over here (other than tanking meteors, anyway), but what she is doing she's doing pretty well.

Setting up for another meteor that should arrive on Day 8, and grabbing that airport. And cranking the first mech out of the northern factory. Let's see if we can't add some of Sami's mechs to the HQ assault.

Day 7 - Sturm

Sturm's only got two attacks for us today, but they're pretty mean ones.

Day 8 - Andy

And he has a rocket truck, too! Let's see what we can do about that.

First up, with five units injured this is looking like a good time for Hyper Repair.

Much better.

After that, I send a medium tank in to blast the light tank guarding Sturm's rocket launcher, before the B copter runs through and reduces those rockets to 1HP.

Meanwhile, the 5HP middie retreats a bit, giving my fighter a chance to step up and, thanks to AW's nonsense physics, block Sturm's medium tank in.

Infantry. Lots of infantry.

Day 8 - Max

Bit of a cock-up on the screenshotting front here. Just pretend you've got an after-shot of that AA going down.

Other than that, Max is keeping quiet as he spreads out his medium tanks to avoid meteoric madness.

We're getting a strong-looking army in the west here, at least.

Day 8 - Sami

As for Sami...

... well, it's time to take another meteor. I do manage to get everything arranged for maximum meteor magnetism this time (mmm).

And we're gradually pumping out a mech commando force in the north here.

Day 8 - Sturm

Sami's a real trooper. Even if she is using borrowed troops.

Sturm's only got two attacks for us today, but they're pretty painful.

Day 9 - Andy

We've still got some work to do here. But we're making good progress.

And I think that's a good point to stop. Tune in next time for...

... Max blowing the crap out of everything.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 19, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That damage :shepface:

You're making this look pretty easy, the one time I ended up with this team for the mission I remember having a hell of a time with it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

C-Euro posted:

You're making this look pretty easy, the one time I ended up with this team for the mission I remember having a hell of a time with it.
Yeah, it's interesting really: this run did go well compared with the previous two runs and I end up shaving four days off. It might just be the fact that this is the third time I've played through the mission in two months, but Max and Sami worked pretty well for me as a combination.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Say, Grit ... did you just give me the toys you don't like and kept all your favourite ones for yourself?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I would have never really thought of using Sami on this map. I like Blue Moon to be the army that's on the offensive most, Andy to absorb the bulk of the battle, and the army on the right to rush forward and take the base and airport near their side of the river to take some of the burden off Andy.

Sami's really at her best in close quarter fighting, where the lack of movement range for Mechs won't really stop them from doing some damage, and she's got quite a bit of ground to cover to be relevant in TFB. It's just not really feasible to transport an army of Mechs to help Andy out, which is why I never really considered using her.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Sylphid posted:

Sami's really at her best in close quarter fighting, where the lack of movement range for Mechs won't really stop them from doing some damage, and she's got quite a bit of ground to cover to be relevant in TFB. It's just not really feasible to transport an army of Mechs to help Andy out, which is why I never really considered using her.

The worst part is that without any prior knowledge, you're almost certainly going to end up with Sami on your first runthrough.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Walliard posted:

The worst part is that without any prior knowledge, you're almost certainly going to end up with Sami on your first runthrough.

Unless you like Sami that is, then you end up with Eagle!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Sylphid posted:

I would have never really thought of using Sami on this map. I like Blue Moon to be the army that's on the offensive most, Andy to absorb the bulk of the battle, and the army on the right to rush forward and take the base and airport near their side of the river to take some of the burden off Andy.

Yeah, that's kind of how I went with Nap Patrol and Dunderhead, too: using Sami seems to warp a typical Final Battle strategy quite a bit. This would have probably been a lot tougher if I had someone other than Max on the Blue Moon side. Grit or Olaf would struggle to put out enough speed or firepower to compensatate for Sami.

But since I have got Max, I found that Sami worked well with him: Max has enough raw power that Sami can focus on being a specialised meteor tanker, even more so than Grit or Olaf were, and in turn Sami keeping the meteors off of Max allows him to be that much better at the ol' RIP AND TEAR.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Max is brutal.

Do these Black Hole units get any sort of army-wide bonus for being Sturm's direct command?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Glazius posted:

Wow. Max is brutal.

Do these Black Hole units get any sort of army-wide bonus for being Sturm's direct command?
Yes: all his units receive an attack bonus (+30% according to DTaeKim, although most other sources I've seen peg it at +20%. Either way, he hits like a truck), a defence penalty (-20%, which is why Max is even more brutal than he usually is) and immunity to all terrain penalties (except in snow, probably to stop Olaf being completely obnoxious on this map). I've said it before, but I guess it was a long time ago now so I don't blame you for forgetting.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah, that's kind of how I went with Nap Patrol and Dunderhead, too: using Sami seems to warp a typical Final Battle strategy quite a bit. This would have probably been a lot tougher if I had someone other than Max on the Blue Moon side. Grit or Olaf would struggle to put out enough speed or firepower to compensatate for Sami.

But since I have got Max, I found that Sami worked well with him: Max has enough raw power that Sami can focus on being a specialised meteor tanker, even more so than Grit or Olaf were, and in turn Sami keeping the meteors off of Max allows him to be that much better at the ol' RIP AND TEAR.

Yeah, tanking Meteor is a crucial job. It's lame one of your supporting armies has to be crippled because of it, but there's no use complaining about it.

Just curious, but what would you say is the hardest team to use in TFB? I would think it would Olaf and Sami, because Olaf has no particular advantages to play in his favor, and his CO power messes everyone up, and Sami for reasons already stated.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Sylphid posted:

Yeah, tanking Meteor is a crucial job. It's lame one of your supporting armies has to be crippled because of it, but there's no use complaining about it.

Just curious, but what would you say is the hardest team to use in TFB? I would think it would Olaf and Sami, because Olaf has no particular advantages to play in his favor, and his CO power messes everyone up, and Sami for reasons already stated.
Can't really say from experience, but doing a bit of theorycrafting I'd guess at Grit and Sami. Grit's extra range on his indirects can be game breaking in some situations, but this isn't really one of them. It's important to remember that in AW1 (unlike AW2 and AWDS) Grit doesn't get a firepower boost on his indirects day-to-day, only the range boost.

Olaf's non-terrible air units, tanks and AA make him more of an asset day-to-day. Throw in Double Time ignoring snow (which I showed during my highlights reel of Spann Island) and you could potentially sync up your Blizzards and Double Times to make the snow less of a slog.

I'd say Olaf and Sami would still be the second worst combo after Grit and Sami, though.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I played this game a little while back for the first time, and Grit and Sami where who I got in the final battle. Now I might have done better with other people in there, but it worked out okay enough. Grit sent his units to back up Andy in his base and harass in the north (more or less how Max is being used in this run), while Sami sent in troops behind Sturm's lines and actually used that airport. Probably the biggest difference was that I wasn't at all concerned with Andy, just winning. So he got clobbered in the middle while Sami was basically unmolested; she was the best choice for producing air power. I think it took me around 26 days.

If the goal is to get a decent score, you might be right. It'd be hard to do anything to really help Andy with those two.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

words
oh no not WORDS

This made me laugh really hard. I'll have to use this sometime in the future.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Just out of curiosity, a lot of COs had their designs changed for the NA version right? Did Sturm have anything different going on in the Japanese version?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

quote:

And I get to work capturing an airport that I'm never going to use.

This makes me sad. I mentioned it a while back, but I always beat this by going for that airport ASAP, and then building up a massive group of mechs and Tcopters and after like 12 or so(using them to tank a meteor or two, mind) just rushing Sturm's base while the other two pushed slowly through their main force. It works and between the base capturing, the tcopters blocking and the main force pushing through, Sturm just cannot devote the resources he has to blocking everything: something is gonna give and once it does, the battle is over.

Mind, this isn't the fastest, most efficent or most devastating way to win, but I've found it works every time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MR. J posted:

Just out of curiosity, a lot of COs had their designs changed for the NA version right? Did Sturm have anything different going on in the Japanese version?

Only Grit, Sonja and Olaf. Who originally had a white beard/santa hat combo, a glasses/red uniform combo and a cowboy hat, irrespectively.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Kajeesus posted:

Only Grit, Sonja and Olaf. Who originally had a white beard/santa hat combo, a glasses/red uniform combo and a cowboy hat, irrespectively.

Kanbei was changed too, I think. He had on samurai armor.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
Drake was also dressed up a lot more pirate-y. :yarr:

Liebely
Nov 1, 2010

It's like cheating, Only fair!
Finally caught up to to this thread.

In terms of CO changes you can't forget Nell's more modest design change making the skirt longer and changing her tank top for a jacket.

And for the comparison rundowns I'll just repost the link here: http://tcrf.net/Advance_Wars

I remember reading this somewhere that there were some reasons why some of the changes occurred on the COs for the localization. I'm likely to get some wrong since it's been a while but I'll list what I remember.

guess what this means? more words

-Kanbei was based off a character from Samurai Seven which would be lost to foreign audiences so they changed him.
-Sonja studied at 'Orange' Star Academy and wears her uniform from there which is why she wore 'Orange'. The theory going around for her changes was that she was designed to look more like a scout given her Enhanced Vision power.
-Grit's was more confusing to remember but his original name was Billy so that probably has something to do with his Cowboy hat. Given what little Japanese I know the letters seem to match up.
-Drake was probably changed because he didn't look like a leader, even his original pirate design looked like that of a crew member rather than the captain. I can gesture that Drake was designed to look like more of a Military Navy Officer since it seemed more appropriate with the way some of the other COs looked...
-For Olaf I just want to imagine someone didn't want to piss off anyone by saying that the Russia-esque Army was led by a Communist Santa and therefore someone getting the opinion that Santa is Communism.

Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

[Edit]
So I did a little more digging and found the website where I originally saw this information some time back. Check it out it's pretty interesting. Apparently Olaf was changed due to issues regarding religion.
http://forums.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9320

Also I said "Samurai Seven". I meant to say "Seven Samurai", two completely different materials of the Japanese production. The former is an anime that I remember dropping at some point and the latter is a movie considered a classic which has been on my queue list for years.

Liebely fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 6, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Overall the changes make the COs look more like modern military personnel.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mission 21AMS: The Final Battle! as Andy, Max and Sami (or "Operation Orange Star") - Part 2

Last time on Advance Wars...

... Max began chewing his way through Sturm's army, while Sami stoically took meteor after meteor.

Day 9 - Andy

And this time, we're looking to finish the job off.

All right, first up let's clear our 3HP medium tank away from the front line, and send in a B copter instead.

We can join the 3HP middie up with this 5HP one.

Just about managed to avoid blundering into missile range, there.

Having forced Sturm off of the properties on this side of the river, it's time to secure them by capturing.

Taking out one of Sturm's infantry as it sits in the river.

And getting that fighter back out of the way of Sturm's fighter.

I sure do like infantry.

Day 9 - Max

Let's see what Max can do here.

Tank attacks AA, with a B copter landing the humilating killer blow.

And on the other side, Sturm's 1HP rocket launcher falls to another Max tank.

There's plenty of backup coming in.

And this seems like a good time to deploy a bomber.

Oh sure, you were all sniffy about it when I wanted one!

You aren't Max, Olaf.

Day 9 - Sami

Once again, Sami finds herself recovering from a meteor.

Mass joining of mechs ensues. Mech floods seem to pretty good at this, as not only are mechs cheap, but having a lot of the same unit makes joining them up a lot easier.

Speaking of mechs floods... well, it's more of a mech trickle. But it should have some impact at least.

Anyway, let's try and get some of this stuff fixed up in time for... err... the next meteor.

Oh come on now!

... sorry, Sami :(.

Day 9 - Sturm

At least Max gets to suffer a bit this turn, as Sturm's next wave of air units arrives.

As well as his next medium tank.

Day 10 - Andy

Hoo boy. There's some tough stuff to break down here.

But break it down we will. B copter flies around the back of the 7HP medium tank, whittling off a couple of HP in the process. Andy's 8HP medium tank finishes the job.

Still got that big full-health middie to deal with, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The 6HP AA goes on a bit of a suicide mission against the bomber, getting knocked down to 2HP in the counterattack. Speaking of suicide missions, I finally do something with Andy's fighter, getting it to attack Sturm's one.

We've put a bit of a dent in Sturm's air force, but AAs and missiles lurk.

Oh well, let's see if Andy can help Max finish off that bomber by softening up the units between it and his AA.

There we go.

Nice cup of tea and another medium tank.

Day 10 - Max

So Max, did Andy do good with his softening up?

The kid did good, but it's not like I needed it.

Clearing a path (though really I should have used an infantry unit to clear out the 3HP mech, to free up the B copter for more exciting duties. But oh well).

And down goes the bomber.

A bit of an arrowy mess, but hopefully you can follow it.

Now then, here are some medium tanks that are really low on fuel. And I can't afford to let them go to waste, because they're Max medium tanks for goodness' sake. This presents a problem.

First let's make sure Max's bomber is safe...

... and then I go a bit nuts and build two APCs. It's a race to see who can refuel those middies first!

Day 10 - Sami

Sami... er...

... continues with the mech trickle. And rearranges things back at base.

Day 10 - Sturm

I feel like starting the RSPBC.

That's the Royal Society for the Protection of Battle Copters (also Andy's fighter).

Day 11 - Andy

And wouldn't you know it, Sturm has another bomber.

But this is looking like a decent moment for a Hyper Repair.

B copter engages B copter.

While the medium tank and another B copter amuse themselves by taking on some mechs.

Let's just ignore that medium tank and bomber for now.

Instead I can finish off the second mech with my damaged AA.

Andy has plenty of middies in reserve, certainly.

Day 11 - Max

Max's turn, and this is looking like a good moment for Max Force.

AA rolls through Sturm's lines to cream a random mech. That's some good damage.

And I win the battle of the 1HP B copters, too.

More heavy hitting as a medium tank splatters an AA.

And here comes THE BOMBER...

Rather more successful than the one in that video, though (I can hardly boast, though, I was only marginally less incompetent in that battle than Fredrik...)

Spreading out the medium tanks, hoping not to get hit by the incoming Meteor Strike... although there's still a nice juicy bomber and two medium tanks in meteor range of each other there. Hmm...

Still, the ballad of the APCs continues. I've left that bomber in range of a missile launcher, but hopefully the missiles will be distracted by Andy's B copter...

Day 11 - Sami

Sami's got a problem here: Max and Andy have some very tempting units deployed on the battlefield.

Will a ball of mechs be able to distract Sturm's meteor?

That is the question...

Day 11 - Sturm

... and the answer is that yes, yes it is. Great work again, Sami.

And to add to the fun, Sturm's missiles do indeed target Andy's B copter rather than Max's bomber. I'll take that any day of the week.

Even if Sturm's own air force is scoring points all over the rest of the battlefield.

Not to mention his anti-air force.

Day 12 - Andy

Max is in a great position to crack Sturm open here, so we're mostly down to a question of "what can Andy do here without getting in the way?"

Well, he can attack with a B copter...

... and that's about it for now. He does have some medium tanks prepped, though. They should be able to help Max out.

Day 12 - Max

Now then... let's see what Max can do here.

Quite a bit, it seems.

Medium tank trashes AA, allowing Max's own AA to roll through and take down Sturm's latest bomber.

Another AA finally takes down Sturm's pesky 3HP fighter, one of the APCs gets a turn away from refuelling all of Max's stalled middies, and I start doing some irritating capturing with an infantry unit.

The continuing adventures of THE BOMBER.

Although surely it's going down this turn. Yes, it's inside the missile launcher's range shadow, but Sturm has so much AA... oh well. I send up a 1HP light tank, to see if it can distract Sturm from the bomber a bit.

Setting up the medium tanks so that the APC can refuel them all in one go.

And the usual movin' and buildin' shenanigans.

Day 12 - Sami

Sami's taken 4 out of 4 meteors so far this mission. That's a phenomenal effort.

More green arrows than a group of DC Comics cosplayers at the National Railway Museum.

And the mechs keep on trucking. One's made it over the mountains now.

Day 12 - Sturm

Sturm's AAs get busy... but guess what they haven't targeted?

Day 13 - Andy

Yup. That bomber's still standing. How, when Sturm has enough AA to take down Cloudbase, I really don't know. But I'm not going to question it.

Instead I'm going to leave this mech with one irritating HP left.

So yeah, that's going to gum up the works for Max. Still, can't get too mad at Andy, he's trying his best.

And he's still producing a good deal of stuff.

Day 13 - Max

First up with Max, we get these medium tanks refuelled. Sturm is going to be getting a nasty surprise package shortly.

Let's start out with a crazy amount of overkill on this 6HP mech.

Slightly less overkill on this AA, though.

This might not have been the smartest move: I might have been better off using the bomber to take out an AA rather than the mostly useless missile unit. But oh well.

And now for some serious, serious overkill as I wipe out a 1HP mech with a 184% damage shot.

Yeah, that bomber definitely isn't surviving this time. But it's done its job. I've now got six medium tanks on Sturm's side of the bridge, and four of them belong to Max. And Sturm has mostly fielded AA. This is gonna be goooood.

Dropping off more annoying infantry.

And churning out yet more units.

Day 13 - Sami

Mechs, mechs, mechs, mechs...

... mechs, mechs, mechs...

... wonderful mechs! Wonderful mechs.

Day 13 - Sturm

Down goes the bomber. It had a good run.

This T copter suffers from a bit of , but hey, it's leaving my infantry unscathed.

And this AA takes a hit.

Day 14 - Andy

My word, we have a lot of medium tanks. And Sturm has a lot of AA, too.

Let's see what we can do about that. First of all, one of Andy's middies lands a nice clean 100% hit.

Another middie rolls up and chips a mech down to 2HP.

So far, so good. I even build a second fighter for Andy, because why not. But that was just for starters.

Day 14 - Max

All right then. Let's limber up by activating Max Force again.

That's some good overkill damage there.

Medium tank takes down light tank, and Max's own light tank takes down the AA hiding behind it.

Arrow-O-Vision, for your convenience.

AA removes a mech.

Random fact, we've got the medium tank here doing precisely as much damage to an AA as one of Max's AAs did to that mech.

i herd u liek mdtankz

AAs Sturm had at the start of Day 14: 5.
AAs Sturm has now: 0

And then Max's 3HP AA weighs in and chips an enemy infantry down to half-health.

We are really close to triggering another Meteor Strike though. And I don't think Sami can save us this time.

Hmm.

Day 14 - Sami

Should I risk attacking this 2HP mech?

Go on. Let's face it, 600G of damage is unlikely to tip the meter over.

Yeah, we're safe. Don't want to launch any more attacks, though.

Instead let's just keep moving, and try to build up another ball of units down south.

Day 14 - Sturm

Sturm uh... Sturm doesn't attack.

Day 15 - Andy

Well, that makes life easier.

Not too easy, though. Andy's AA can't reach a B copter, after all.

It can reach this infantry, though.

And Andy leaves yet another unit at 1HP :sigh:

The other medium tank heads out west, just in case Max and Sami can't finish the job and Sturm gets the chance for one last Meteor Strike.

But we're pretty much done with Andy now.

Day 15 - Max

Let's see what Max can do.

Max can continue to deliver extreme overkill.

216%! (okay, next mission I have to capture a Max AA attacking a Sturm B copter during Max Force).

216% again!

And a relatively conservative 119% this time.

And that's Max done. I could have blocked up all of Sturm's factories I guess...

Day 15 - Sami

... but there's no need.

Because after taking four meteor strikes out of four and barely flinching, Sami deserves the last laugh.

NOT WOOOOORRRRRDDDDDSSSSS!!!!!

I think that about wraps things up! Thanks, Grit!
Yeah, not a bad day's work, Maxie. For you!

:stare: Grit, you're a good CO with an excellent CO Power, but you dream of outputting as much day-to-day damage as AW1 Max.

You wanna start somethin'? Should we settle this right here and now?
Oooh! Save me! Save me! What with all the scary folk around here, it's time for me to skedaddle.

:unsmith:

And then it's this whole dialogue with Andy, Max, Sami and Drake all over again. Boring. Let's mix things up a bit by seeing how a post-battle chat between Sami and Sonja might have gone:

maybe i get a bit more respect now i've liberated you from the clutches of sturm and his WORDS
yeah you did a great job sitting there getting hit by meteors while max and andy did the heavy lifting
hey i was doing a very important job! and i landed the killing blow!
yeah ok i guess you did your bit, sorry or whatever
now hold on a second i've had enough of you and your superiority complex
if it helps i've had enough of you and your inferiority complex
also technically the battle where we had a big argument didn't even happen in this timeline so i don't really know what's going on
yeah that's a point paul from our point of view we haven't really chatted since co school or something

Everyone's a critic.

so i guess maybe we won't make a huge deal about this?
yeah perhaps i mean it's not like you're eagle or anything and let's face it i mostly forget about him in the next game too
but hey maybe we'll get a tag team bonus out of this some games down the line!
yeah maybe i guess we'll see what happens
so uh
things

All right, all right, time to stop this before it gets any sillier. Moving on.

Moving on, we get a 15-day A-Rank, which comprehensively beats the pair of 19-day B-Ranks we got with Operation Nap Patrol and Operation Dunderhead. On the whole, I'd say that went about as well as could be expected: Max was lethal as all hell, and I think in the Golden Ending Run I'll have to let him take a few meteors just so you guys don't get all Maxed out.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy the ending reel.

Still no S-Rank. But I'm going to guess that 950 points is the cut-off. Which means we're really close here. And if I can do just a bit better on the Operation Golden Ending run...

But that's all in the future. We have some other business to take care of first. And no, I'm not talking about buying Kanbei.

Tune in next time as we head back to AW2 and bring everyone's favourite shopkeeper out of retirement, to see just how broken a CO he can be...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. He didn't even bother to attack when one more tick would have charged up his CO power?

Or can you not use your CO power on the same turn the bar fills?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

Wow. He didn't even bother to attack when one more tick would have charged up his CO power?

Or can you not use your CO power on the same turn the bar fills?

The AI doesn't think that way. But yes, when the bar fills you can use your CO power at any time.

Anyway, it's time. Let's see this game get ripped in half without the slightest bit of mercy or regret.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Liebely posted:

-Kanbei was based off a character from [Seven Samurai] which would be lost to foreign audiences so they changed him.

Kanbei makes so much more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tulip posted:

Kanbei makes so much more sense now.
I thought someone had gotten confused, as Kanbei (Kambei) is the name of one of the Seven Samurai. I kind of always thought his name was changed to a Seven Samurai reference. Because really, westerners should be expected to be familiar with that film too.

But then I looked it up and Kanbei's Japanese name is Kikuchiyo.

And indeed, then everything made sense.

Edit: To be less of a dick to those who haven't seen the film (watch it), Kikuchiyo's the comic relief not-really-a-samurai fuckup of the group, while Kambei is the sage leader.

Thinking about it that way, the name change itself is a joke. A joke no one would get unless they actively went and looked up the translation changes. "Yeah, we'll take away Kikuchiyo's 'silly' samurai armor and make him more 'serious' looking... heck, why don't we call him Kanbei while we're at it."

Eiba fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 8, 2012

• Locked thread