Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

I just realised that Jenn Frank took that video and she used to work with Ray. Coincidence? Unlikely!

We-he-hell, the coincidence was she was in New York at the time of the film festival.Her and some other people there make a cameo in that "GCCX is Hot!" special thingie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Tewratomeh posted:

What more do you really need to say?

It looks like a parody of Persona before that series even existed.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Tewratomeh posted:

What more do you really need to say?

I liked the squirrels that had peaches for heads. It's like if Earthbound existed in some reality where people thought it wasn't wacky enough, so they gave the dev team some really good drugs and a short development cycle.

You know, that could have been the product of one of those shows where they just lock people in a room until something is accomplished. Go Japan!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

You know, outside of the easy to find underwear balloon popping and crossdress strip janken.

Mind giving the links for those? I never seen any Yoiko besides the Friendly Downtown segment.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

toanoradian posted:

Mind giving the links for those? I never seen any Yoiko besides the Friendly Downtown segment.

I don't have links to those, but I have a link to a YT video I posted of the 2011 New Year's Live Challenge of Kirby Super Stars. The main part of the special is Yoiko playng coop. Hamaguchi is player 1 and Arino is player 2. Here is the video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--KTJxw-Kco

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

TheGreenAvenger posted:

So young... Hey zari-gani do you know why Yoiko uses that obscure/obsolete wi hiragana character? Is there a joke there or is it just cos.

Speaking of which....

It gets me every time.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

toanoradian posted:

The underwear balloon popping was on the Freshverse stream, so I don't know how to go about finding it on youtube or wherever. If you want to dig back through this topic there might have been some screenshots.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

joek0 posted:

I don't have links to those, but I have a link to a YT video I posted of the 2011 New Year's Live Challenge of Kirby Super Stars. The main part of the special is Yoiko playng coop. Hamaguchi is player 1 and Arino is player 2. Here is the video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--KTJxw-Kco

How on earth do people watch the live shows? I only barely tolerate two-parters.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
You just leave it on in the background and tab in whenever they start yelling.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Bocc Kob posted:

You just leave it on in the background and tab in whenever they start yelling.

Pretty much this, but it's hard to hear the yelling over my own yelling when I happen to watch Arino crash a plane for an hour straight

e: Realtalk you use that time to work on your fax and then spend half an hour and $3 to send it to Japan

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Quest of Ki live takes the cake. 6 freaking hours of level 98. 6. Think of watching that as a staff member there and being constantly on edge because the next time he does it could be the one where he makes it work.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Battletoads was the only two-parter where I was enthralled the whole way through, because it was just way more exciting than it should've been. Arino was loving the game, and the energy of the whole staff was infectious.

When it's just Arino staring at a screen and going "Ah" or "Oh, I missed" every five minutes I fall asleep. Some of the slower episodes are great to watch late at night if you need something to knock you out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

Battletoads was the only two-parter where I was enthralled the whole way through, because it was just way more exciting than it should've been. Arino was loving the game, and the energy of the whole staff was infectious.

When it's just Arino staring at a screen and going "Ah" or "Oh, I missed" every five minutes I fall asleep. Some of the slower episodes are great to watch late at night if you need something to knock you out.

Yeah, I think Battletoads is one of the best challenges he's done, period. I watched the Binary Land episode right after and it's incredibly boring and low-energy by comparison.

The tone of his voice and the look on his face when the game tries to screw him over and he just revels in it is top-tier Arino.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I think Battletoads is one of the best challenges he's done, period.

But it's the 'easy' version so according to the Internet I'm afraid you can't actually enjoy it

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 5, 2012

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

rdbbb posted:

But it's the 'easy' version so according to the Internet I'm afraid you can't actually enjoy it

It's funny, I was just thinking "what's the harder version: SMB2 US, or Doki Doki Panic?" There seems to be two major differences between the two games: DDP has unlimited continues, but to get the ending you have to beat it with every character. SMB2 has only two continues, but you can get the ending just by completing it with one character. There are probably other differences that would have an impact on one's ability to beat it, but I've never played DDP!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Jimmy Colorado posted:

It's funny, I was just thinking "what's the harder version: SMB2 US, or Doki Doki Panic?" There seems to be two major differences between the two games: DDP has unlimited continues, but to get the ending you have to beat it with every character. SMB2 has only two continues, but you can get the ending just by completing it with one character. There are probably other differences that would have an impact on one's ability to beat it, but I've never played DDP!

I'm 99% sure you just described all the differences. SMB2 was an exceedingly easy game for me(and a childhood favorite). Once you learned the warps it was nothing to blaze through that game. Much like SMB3 there were some challenging levels but those were mostly missed once you discovered the warps.

I really saw nothing in the episode that seemed out of place although that doesn't mean there isn't but I imagine that outside of the few minor differences you discussed they were the same game and the same difficulty.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 6, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure Battletoads is the best episode or at very least the best two-parter. It is just the most overall enjoyable episode in ages for so many reasons. I really disliked the Super Mario World two-parter so the Battletoads episode was so wonderful to get after that. "Easy" version or no.

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

I really saw nothing in the episode that seemed out of place...

There is one thing: Doki Doki Panic has no run button.

But because it's Arino, I can see why you wouldn't pick up on that.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
The worst episode i've seen is Sonic the Hedgehog. I actually got genuinely angry with Arino a few times, because Sonic 1 is just about the easiest drat platformer ever made. He'd have lost his poo poo playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Only 2 weeks until the DVD release. Stoked.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm 99% sure you just described all the differences. SMB2 was an exceedingly easy game for me(and a childhood favorite). Once you learned the warps it was nothing to blaze through that game. Much like SMB3 there were some challenging levels but those were mostly missed once you discovered the warps.

For me, the warps were what made the game a bit tough when I picked it up again recently! Because I was a dumb kid last time I played (OK I'm still a dumb kid), all I cared about were the warps, and I would trudge ahead and get crushed by the increased difficulty. Add to that, due to the warps, you didn't really complete levels/bosses, and because you only had a few bonus coins, it was easy to blow through your continues and get game overs.

Only when I took it stage by stage and collected the max number of bonus coins I could, then subsequently getting lucky as all get out in the bonus game for dozens of extra lives, did I find SMB2 pretty easy. Haha!

So by default, I think DDP would prove to be the tougher game to beat. You could grind through it, but there are some sections that were hard enough with Mario/Imajin; I couldn't imagine getting through with the other characters. Timing the jumps, etc. bleh.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

ProfessorLoomis posted:

The worst episode i've seen is Sonic the Hedgehog. I actually got genuinely angry with Arino a few times, because Sonic 1 is just about the easiest drat platformer ever made. He'd have lost his poo poo playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

You can't deny the awesomeness of that demo screen fakeout at the beginning though.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

ProfessorLoomis posted:

That lava zone is an inescapable labyrinth of death and despair. :mad:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bocc Kob posted:

That lava zone is an inescapable labyrinth of death and despair. :mad:

So is like almost every stage in Battletoads.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey RS, what happened to that "we'll be releasing one episode every couple of days for a while"? I mean it's totally up to you how often you do them and what time you have to spare, but it's cruel to make me expect Arino and then not give me the Arino. :smith:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I actually have way more trouble with Sonic 1 than any other game in the series... or any Mario game, for that matter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

He's played easier games than Sonic 1 and those are always the most frustrating episodes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Arino is enjoying Battletoads :psyduck:

My world is upside down

Well, I guess the fact that it's easier helps. Everyone enjoyed Battletoads. Until they hated it :v:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Shock Trooper posted:

You can't deny the awesomeness of that demo screen fakeout at the beginning though.

Goddamn that was sneaky. And very funny.

Go by train! is a suprisingly fun ep. I want to play it now.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's played easier games than Sonic 1 and those are always the most frustrating episodes.

During Super Mario World, I was yelling at him a few times because his play style seemed to be "Here's an enemy, let me run directly into it." He does that a lot, instead of trying to win, he tries to power through and hopes he survives. But that's part of what makes him Arino.

And then there's a puzzle game, and he's figuring out these complex puzzles like they are nothing.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

victrix posted:

Arino is enjoying Battletoads :psyduck:

My world is upside down

Well, I guess the fact that it's easier helps. Everyone enjoyed Battletoads. Until they hated it :v:

An extended hover bike level would have only made him happier.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

During Super Mario World, I was yelling at him a few times because his play style seemed to be "Here's an enemy, let me run directly into it." He does that a lot, instead of trying to win, he tries to power through and hopes he survives. But that's part of what makes him Arino.

It takes like 8 deaths or so before he actually tries some sort of dodge strategy. I kind of play the same way though, so I can't judge too harshly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

And then there's a puzzle game, and he's figuring out these complex puzzles like they are nothing.
Eh, different people just have different skill sets. Arino seems to be really good at solving puzzles but his hand-eye coordination maybe isn't the best for action games. You would think he would improve though, after 9 years of the show :)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

Eh, different people just have different skill sets. Arino seems to be really good at solving puzzles but his hand-eye coordination maybe isn't the best for action games. You would think he would improve though, after 9 years of the show :)

He has, really. Not like 'holy crap he's actually good now', but I just couldn't see him tackling Battletoads in the first season or two. Go back and watch those episodes, he was _horrible_

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Cemetry Gator posted:

One thing that drove me nuts about his play in Super Mario world was when he fought Iggy koopa, he kept trying to knock him upwards into the lava. It's understandable that the first time he might not realize it works that way but once it happens you should have the good sense to not keep trying to fight the slope!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

13/f/cali posted:

One thing that drove me nuts about his play in Super Mario world was when he fought Iggy koopa, he kept trying to knock him upwards into the lava. It's understandable that the first time he might not realize it works that way but once it happens you should have the good sense to not keep trying to fight the slope!

But then they couldn't say that it was a miracle-play timing masterstroke.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

He is a comedian by profession. Who says we aren't being trolled :tinfoil:

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Enentol posted:

But then they couldn't say that it was a miracle-play timing masterstroke.

I guess miracles are relative to their worker. This is early, early Arino we're talking about here. I can see taking out Iggy being a miracle.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Watched the Karnov episode. It was pretty good! It was mostly interesting to see what the game is like beyond the second stage.

The hint for the next challenge is "......2." Perhaps the sequel to a game he's challenged before? Or is it 1942?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wait, he did do Karnov?! So sweet. If he does that and Rygar I'll be so stoked.