Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QULEcokHPQc&feature=player_embedded

Here's a fancy 10 min video all about halo 4 and such. Kinda cool, but not really gameplay footage, more story details.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Here's what Halo Nation has to say:
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_4#Vehicles

So Banshees (or Type-26 Ground Support Aircraft as the sperglords at Halo Nation call it) are in.

Those names are ridiculous.

"Sir, we've spotted a covenant type 26 assault gun carriage."
"God help us all"

V for Vegans fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

V for Vegans posted:

Those names are ridiculous.

"Sir, we've spotted a covenant type 26 assault gun carriage."
"God help us all"
That's why humans nicknamed them "Banshees." Hell, the Mongoose's real name is "M274 Ultra-Light All Terrain Vehicle."

This can all be summed up by a conversation in Red vs. Blue.

Sarge: "Gentlemen! I present to you: The M12 LRV! ...I like to call it 'the Warthog!'"

Simmons: "Why a Warthog, sir?"

Sarge: "Because 'M12 LRV' is too hard to say in conversation, son."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

That's why humans nicknamed them "Banshees." Hell, the Mongoose's real name is "M274 Ultra-Light All Terrain Vehicle."

This can all be summed up by a conversation in Red vs. Blue.

Sarge: "Gentlemen! I present to you: The M12 LRV! ...I like to call it 'the Warthog!'"

Simmons: "Why a Warthog, sir?"

Sarge: "Because 'M12 LRV' is too hard to say in conversation, son."

Yeah, we do the same stuff in real-life militaries, too. You can call it the M1A1 Main Battle Tank or you can call it the Abrams. It is annoying that Halo Nation specifically goes out of their way to call it the long, pain-in-the-rear end name, though. I don't understand why they can't just loving say "Banshee."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't understand why they can't just loving say "Banshee."

Internet alpha dogs. :spergin:

By using the "proper" name they can assert their dominance over all the "casual" Halo fans who use the easy name.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I've been on a badly-written-scifi-book kick recently, which has (unfortunately) included much of the recent Halo fiction. While, from a story perspective, I'm excited for Halo 4... I'm guessing it's not going to be nearly as cool/epic as the written fiction hints it might be. There's just no way to pack that much awesome into a single player storyline without it imploding (or costing a bajillion dollars to produce).

As long as the multiplayer still sucks away 6 months of my life, I guess it will be fine?

Also, I'm guessing there will be flood (surprise!) because every time a beloved franchise is taken over by a different development team they are afraid of changing the success formula *too much* without losing "the magic". Even if it's only a cameo, flood fun will be had.

Other safe bets:
1.) Master Chief will blow up something the size of a planet
2.) Cortana will be AWOL for part of the game
3.) You will fight next to marines for a level, before they are all annihilated by something ginormous.
4.) Although seemingly unbeatable, you will beat the ginormous invincible thing later in the game by shooting a magic switch
5.) Epic music.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Yeah, we do the same stuff in real-life militaries, too. You can call it the M1A1 Main Battle Tank or you can call it the Abrams. It is annoying that Halo Nation specifically goes out of their way to call it the long, pain-in-the-rear end name, though. I don't understand why they can't just loving say "Banshee."
They only really do that for the title of the page and the list of official names. If you go to the Banshee page, it's called the long name at the top and "Banshee" for the rest of the article. It's Halopedia; they're supposed to be the place where you get ultra-aspie level garbage that no one actually cares about.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really love Halo campaigns, and will probably get it for that. But I just can't be asked to continue paying for Live to enjoy the multiplayer (I know it's going to be great, but still). As a predominate PC player that really owns an Xbox as a Halo machine, I'm still that guy who's dissapointed in lack of PC ports.

Talking about this makes me want to play Reach multiplayer, which I paid for all the DLC, but my Live is lapsed.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I prefer to call out "that dumb purple thing in the sky" when I play halo.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stalkerr posted:

I've been on a badly-written-scifi-book kick recently, which has (unfortunately) included much of the recent Halo fiction. While, from a story perspective, I'm excited for Halo 4... I'm guessing it's not going to be nearly as cool/epic as the written fiction hints it might be. There's just no way to pack that much awesome into a single player storyline without it imploding (or costing a bajillion dollars to produce).

As long as the multiplayer still sucks away 6 months of my life, I guess it will be fine?

Also, I'm guessing there will be flood (surprise!) because every time a beloved franchise is taken over by a different development team they are afraid of changing the success formula *too much* without losing "the magic". Even if it's only a cameo, flood fun will be had.

Other safe bets:
1.) Master Chief will blow up something the size of a planet
2.) Cortana will be AWOL for part of the game
3.) You will fight next to marines for a level, before they are all annihilated by something ginormous.
4.) Although seemingly unbeatable, you will beat the ginormous invincible thing later in the game by shooting a magic switch
5.) Epic music.

Did that include glasslands? If so, I'm sorry. Karen Traviss is horrible.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Did that include glasslands? If so, I'm sorry. Karen Traviss is horrible.

I thought Glasslands was pretty good. The chapters from the Elite's point of view were insanely boring, and the parts where Traviss screeches directly at you about how bad a person Halsey is got real old, real fast, but the remaining 50% or so of the book was good.

Then again, I liked all the Halo novels except Evolutions (Frank O'Connor's short story was pretty good though), so maybe I've just got poo poo taste. v:v:v

They only really do that for the title of the page and the list of official names. If you go to the Banshee page, it's called the long name at the top and "Banshee" for the rest of the article. It's Halopedia; they're supposed to be the place where you get ultra-aspie level garbage that no one actually cares about.

Yeah, that's true and I don't really mind it for titles of pages, it just gets annoying looking at the confirmed vehicle/weapon list and having to open up a ton of tabs to figure out what the gently caress an M6 Grindell/Galilean Nonlinear Rifle or Type-33 Light Anti-Armor Weapon is.

Although "Asymmetric Engagement Mitigator" is a much more badass name than "Scattershot." :black101:

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 4, 2012

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

V for Vegans posted:

Because the price for the game and dlc alone almost comes out even to the price of legendary, and you get a cool medium length movie, and a weird art book. Mostly it's the free avatar items though.

I never understood why people liked getting bonus things with video games until I pre-ordered skyrim and got a fancy papyrus paper map in the game case. I wasn't expecting that at all, and it was amazing.

Yeah, this one isn't bad value-wise, but some are absolutely horrible. My friend said he was getting Madden 12 Hall of Fame Edition for $40 more. I looked it up, and all you got was a Marshall Faulk card and some downloadable team. My friend agreed that sucked, but bought it anyway. Must have been the tin.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 4, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Haven't played Reach in a while but I got this preordered and looking to have fun with my bros again (looking at you cerealkiller and faaart)

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I'll be picking up my copy on release day! GT = CerealKillerKP

Lookin' forward to gaming with you again IneffiableFX!

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
I am so looking foward to this, I already have my Limited Edition copy pre-ordered. I don't know yet how I feel about the Master Chief's new armor. It looks cool, but I am used to the less segmented look of his previous armors.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
http://blogs.halo.xbox.com/Headlines/post/2012/09/05/The-Halo-Bulletin-9512.aspx

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
Played this at PAX. Something I couldn't quite figure out was if it was possible to drop the flag. It automatically picks it up when you walk over it now, and as you guys probably know lets you dual wield flag and pistol. Works fine except now it seems like there's no way to drop the flag (presumably to prevent flag dropping), or to pass it onto another teammate.

Was loads of fun but I didn't have a lot of time to peruse the weapon loadout options as I only had the 12 minutes to play. Look forward to playing with a lot of you in November again :)

vvvv: I meant to make this post as soon as I came back from PAX but I've had a mean case of the PAX Pox so losing to Bonerfart's link by mere minutes isn't too big of a loss!

yanthrax fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 7, 2012

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Bonerfarts' article confirms no flag dropping, Yan.

The rest basically reads like:

"We changed drat near everything about CTF and didn't leave you the option to change it back in custom games if you don't like it but we PROMISE it will be great!" 343 Industries: instilling confidence with every news release.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

343's thought: Removing the ability to drop the flag will prevent people trying to flag juggle and force the carrier to focus on the objective.

What's really going to happen: "Oh god dammit, that human being picked up my flag. Gonna teamkill that rear end in a top hat. Better teabag him for a few seconds for good measure."

edit: Oh, cool, there's no way to speed up the flag's return now either. Sounds like a perfectly fine and well-balanced change. AND you don't need your own flag to score. Yeah, this sounds great. Nobody wanted to play CTF anyway, right? I guess this way nobody will complain when they remove it entirely in Halo 5.

edit 2: Okay, no reason to be alarmist though.

quote:

CTF specifically offers tuning the “Flag Return Time/Proximity Return”, “Flag Reset Time”, “Flag at Home Requirement”, “Overtime Length”, and “Flag Carrier Traits”.

So as long as "automatic pickup" and "wields a weapon" are both "flag carrier traits" you can turn off, we can still have classic CTF.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 7, 2012

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So after all the mlg playtesting or whatever has been going on, has anyone come to the conclusion that the hard light shield isn't as useless as it looked like it was when we first saw it? It's my understanding that the various rifles, including the assault rifle, might actually be balanced against one another for a change (though I've heard nothing about the pistol either). From what I've been told the carbine actually seems to be "stronger" than the BR, and the assault rifle actually is outgunning things up close for a change, but I've heard nothing about the shield or pistol.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Okay, so I finished reading that whole bulletin and it just makes me feel more uneasy. Every time I start to get really excited about this game 343 comes in and makes things sound worse. Just little things like how they kept answering questions like "will we be able to reverse this absurd change you made to x gametype in custom options" with "YOU WILL PLAY THE GAME THE WAY WE WANT YOU TO, TRUST US YOU'LL LIKE IT."

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Funkmaster General posted:

edit 2: Okay, no reason to be alarmist though.

So as long as "automatic pickup" and "wields a weapon" are both "flag carrier traits" you can turn off, we can still have classic CTF.

quote:

Will there be a way to disable auto-pickup for Flag/Oddball? -CyReN CE

At launch and in the launch playlists, we will be deploying CTF as-is. Although it’s possible in the future that we will give players more specific control and choices, this is something we feel pretty strongly about – and is in some ways a new mode, rather than simply an evolution of an existing game type. We understand the reaction this may cause, but there’s method in our madness and we ask your indulgence in the short term.
I'm sorry, Funkmaster General, say again? Your last transmission was full of optimism, over. :v:

Edit: Also, I swear to god if this game actually has Steitzer tell me "You're holding the flag!" when I pick up the flag, can see a magnum in one hand and a flagpole in the other I'm making a special delivery pimp-slap road trip to 343's place.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 7, 2012

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Edit: Also, I swear to god if this game actually has Steitzer tell me "You're holding the flag!" when I pick up the flag, can see a magnum in one hand and a flagpole in the other I'm making a special delivery pimp-slap road trip to 343's place.

They gotta make it more accessible yo :v:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

quote:

I like how Exile is an outdoor kind of map. Are there other outdoor-like maps on the Halo 4 disc/future DLC? -F22 Raptor X1

Oh yes. In fact, our only remake map – still secret – is most definitely outdoors.

So not reading into that at all he means Blood Gulch/Coag/Hemo or some awful hydra of all three. What other outdoor remakes could they put out and not have people flip poo poo. I would enjoy a modern Valhalla. Avalanche or Sidewinder would be cool for a change of pace. Seeing as snow is a rare thing in Halo multiplayer.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I hate Blood Gulch and all of its evil spawn. The series needs to divorce itself from that map concept.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that there is one remake in Halo 4. It's an outdoor map.

Also, the announcer is this in a nutshell:

"YOU ARE FIRING YOUR GUN"
"YOU GOT A KILL"
"YOU ARE CURRENTLY WALKING"

It is redundant to be honest, but thankfully they go away later on in the game.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

BabyMauler posted:

I would enjoy a modern Valhalla. Avalanche or Sidewinder would be cool for a change of pace. Seeing as snow is a rare thing in Halo multiplayer.
I think 343 needs to make new classics. Bungie already remade practically every single map they made. It's time for some fresh stuff.

(I would not be opposed to High Ground getting remade!)

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I thought they said there were no remakes and all the maps would be original? I'm certain I read that several times over the summer.

"YOU WILL ENJOY ALL MAPS"

Oh why thank you announcer dude. The CTF thing with not being able to drop the flag makes sense on paper I guess, since you can now shoot and run almost as fast as usual while carrying the flag. Certainly, not being able to drop the flag will make those guys that mastered throwing the flag feel useless. Of course if you're holding a power weapon like rockets and you pick up the flag on accident, oh well!

KitFez
Sep 5, 2011

Personally, I prefer the air!
Well, bit the bullet and pre-ordered the Limited Edition. It seems the game's in safe hands and I have previously chickened out of buying (and regretted not buying) the huge, comes-with-loads-of-cool-as-fez-stuff editions. Figured I may as well do this one justice.

The not being able to drop the flag may be a points thing, too. I remember Warhawk on the PS3 was patched to remove the ability to drop the flag, because it awarded 5 points for just picking the thing up but you could drop it with a press of the Triangle button. Mash Triangle = you'll rank up after a few minutes.

As for classic maps, we'll just have to see. I imagine after a few hours in matchmaking I'll get used to the new maps, but it's been a while since I saw something I'd dub "iconic" in that regard in a Halo game. What came closest was Standoff in one of Halo 3's DLC packs, because that had an awesome skyline and you could raise or lower the bunker shields, so it was actually semi-tactical!

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

KitFez posted:

What came closest was Standoff in one of Halo 3's DLC packs, because that had an awesome skyline and you could raise or lower the bunker shields, so it was actually semi-tactical!
You could only lower them; once they were lowered the switch became inactive. But I agree, Standoff was a fantastic map for most modes. It just needed a few more safe spawn points for each side. It was a bit too easy to set up some brutal spawn traps in BTB. Get a couple guys in their base, a couple by big tree/big antenna, and a couple on upper dirt/dish, and they're stuck spawning outside on their right dish or near their Brute Shot, generally in plain sight of you.

It's one of the only "objective inside base with few ways in" maps I've ever liked, even with jerks that just mauler/shotgun whored the front door all match. The bases were that perfect blend of defensible and assailable that's pretty rare in Halo objective maps. Usually they're either drat near impossible to get in and out with a flag (Blood Gulch) or a bit too easy (Valhalla).

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Standoff + Warthog = most fun in anything ever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hated Standoff because on my tv the red guys managed to blend in to the background and I couldn't see poo poo. Though, getting the Gauss Warthog and completely dominating the map was fun. Just drove around in circles like it was a rail shooter and fired wherever we wanted.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I hated Standoff because vehicles had lots more defense and health in Halo 3. Warthogs were a huge nuisance!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with warthogs in H3 was that every single map load out dumped a BR into people's hands. So you'd get half the team running out from cover and plinking a few shots then dying which guaranteed that people in the warthog never took enough damage to die.

Coordinated AR fire could make pretty short work of a warthog. Use a frag to slow it down (or if they're available, stick it with a plasma), have everyone run out of cover and spam it.. presto, no more warthog.

But nope, the AR was a lovely newbie gun that no pro would ever touch and before long everyone was convinced that warthogs were overpowered death machines.

KitFez
Sep 5, 2011

Personally, I prefer the air!

You could only lower them; once they were lowered the switch became inactive. But I agree, Standoff was a fantastic map for most modes. It just needed a few more safe spawn points for each side. It was a bit too easy to set up some brutal spawn traps in BTB. Get a couple guys in their base, a couple by big tree/big antenna, and a couple on upper dirt/dish, and they're stuck spawning outside on their right dish or near their Brute Shot, generally in plain sight of you.

It's one of the only "objective inside base with few ways in" maps I've ever liked, even with jerks that just mauler/shotgun whored the front door all match. The bases were that perfect blend of defensible and assailable that's pretty rare in Halo objective maps. Usually they're either drat near impossible to get in and out with a flag (Blood Gulch) or a bit too easy (Valhalla).

Ahh, I forgot that the switches were one-way! The rest of your points stand, too - though I'll add that nothing beats careening around Standoff on Mongooses/Warthogs and flattening the opposition.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I hated Standoff because vehicles had lots more defense and health in Halo 3. Warthogs were a huge nuisance!

That's why it was so awesome! I loved the start of that map and seeing 10 grenades being hurled at the enemy warthog and the domination of getting both hogs.

Granted from a map design perspective it was flawed, but gosh darn it was fun.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

But nope, the AR was a lovely newbie gun that no pro would ever touch and before long everyone was convinced that warthogs were overpowered death machines.

You know the only thing more annoying than people bitching about AR is people bitching about people bitching about these weapons.

We get it, people think precision weapons require more skill, let's move on already.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry, nope.

Too many matches on Standoff ruined because people were unwilling to modify their tactics. :colbert:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Found a $31 gift card I had for Amazon so I'm jumping in on the limited edition. Sorry I missed out on playing Anniversary with you all but I just never got around to picking it up. So now I'm looking forward to all the shenanigans that will be had as we storm the servers together.

I hope we can remake Falconry.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I know a guy who works at 343 and I ask him about Halo 4 on occasion.

"Does it have shotguns?"

"Sorry, NDA."

He does say it's really fun though, they took him off of his normal job for a month just to play the multiplayer. He also told me that even after release things aren't going to wind down that much because they've got a bunch more stuff coming out. Apparently they did a lot of testing with x-box kinects too because they now have an excess of them and employees are encouraged to give them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kinects? What is that going to do in Halo 4?

• Locked thread