Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Captain Capitalism posted:

My current car is starting to die after several good years, and I need to start looking for a new one.

Proposed Budget: 13,000 - 15,000
New or Used: I would prefer used, but if a new car ends up being more cost effective I'd be willing to go that route.
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the car?: I'd be using it for a 20 mile commute 5 days a week as well as driving 25-50 miles on the weekends.
What aspects are most important to you? I'd like a car that is a little more recent that has some of the newer technology, power steering and windows. If I could reach a bit, I'd like a sunroof. Basically my car is a machine that gets me from A to B, but I don't want to get a beater.

You want an economy car for under $15k. Start by looking at used these:

leica posted:

Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mazda3 or Protege, Chevy Cobalt, Ford Focus.

If you can't find any clean, cheap examples of those you can look at new Hyundais and Kias as mentioned. My parents just got a Kia Soul+ with an automatic transmission out the door for $16k, and all of the Korean economy cars even do bluetooth speakerphone in their cars on top of the basic power locks / windows. If you're ok with a baser car, I'm sure you could swing a Soul or some other econobox for $15k and have that 5 year bumper to bumper / 10 year powertrain warranty and just not think about cars for a long time.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

remeez posted:

I have to choose between a 2008 Ford Escape with 76k miles for 13 grand or a 2010 Dodge Charger AWD with 30k miles for 19 grand. I live in New England. Almost everything I read online about the Escape is negative, anyone have some insight?

Stay away from that Escape. We had one, and it was a pretty good car, but depending on the trim that thing sold for 19 or 20K brand new. A 2008 Escape with 76K miles on it.... I wouldn't pay more than 8500 for it probably maybe 9500.. Definitely not 13K. We didn't own ours more than 25K, but it was the first year of the new model and I've heard of issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Weinertron posted:

You want an economy car for under $15k. Start by looking at used these:

If you can't find any clean, cheap examples of those you can look at new Hyundais and Kias as mentioned. My parents just got a Kia Soul+ with an automatic transmission out the door for $16k, and all of the Korean economy cars even do bluetooth speakerphone in their cars on top of the basic power locks / windows. If you're ok with a baser car, I'm sure you could swing a Soul or some other econobox for $15k and have that 5 year bumper to bumper / 10 year powertrain warranty and just not think about cars for a long time.

I don't know about other places but the local KIA and Hyundai dealers offer a deal every three months where they double the length of the warranty.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I don't know about other places but the local KIA and Hyundai dealers offer a deal every three months where they double the length of the warranty.

What city is this? This is absolutely insane, given that the base warranty is 5 year / 60k bumper to bumper and 10/100k powertrain. I'm imagining someone getting a turbo replaced under warranty on a 14 year old, 160k mile car.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Alright fine threadgoers it seems I'm moving to the boonies soon and we'll need a truck for light small farm related goodness. I highly appreciate your expert advice.

New England Snow Truck

Proposed Budget: The truck is an absolutely required vehicle so the budget is somewhat flexible.

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Pickup truck

How will you be using the car?:
- Light-use farm truck (in the sense of not having to haul anything large or go up horribly steep grades, we'll rent heavy equipment to do any kind of very occasional hard work)
- We'll primarily be using it to get around in the winter but want the dual utility of having a truck as well.
- Commutes will be one hour bi-weekly.

What aspects are most important to you?
- Traverse through up to 26 inches of snow (October 2011 Storm) in an emergency. (I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where we would need to ever go out in the middle of 26 inches of snow but the person financing the vehicle purchase wants the capability)
- The truck needs to have enough weight to not slide around in the snow too easily (we had to put a ton of cinder blocks in the back of the old little ford ranger) but there is no need for any sort of huge truck.
- Plow attachment capability in case plows cannot reach our location.
- 78.96 = Average snowfall per year (another source: http://www.stevesauter.com/40yearsnow.htm)
- 61.55 = Average days with 1 inch or more of snow depth
- The primary use of the truck is pure utility. Function over form.
- Creature comforts, space, etc. is not a factor we care about.
- The truck does not need to be a recent model year as long as it is well maintained and fairly inexpensive and simple to repair.

My general idea is a mid size truck, use snow tires during the winter months, and have some snow chains ready in-case it's really horrible.

Raxmus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 5, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Weinertron posted:

What city is this? This is absolutely insane, given that the base warranty is 5 year / 60k bumper to bumper and 10/100k powertrain. I'm imagining someone getting a turbo replaced under warranty on a 14 year old, 160k mile car.

Fort Wayne Indiana, Glenbrook Hyundai/Bob Rohrman KIA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Raxmus posted:

Alright fine threadgoers it seems I'm moving to the boonies soon and we'll need a truck for light small farm related goodness. I highly appreciate your expert advice.

New England Snow Truck

Proposed Budget: The truck is an absolutely required vehicle so the budget is somewhat flexible.

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Pickup truck

How will you be using the car?:
- Light-use farm truck (in the sense of not having to haul anything large or go up horribly steep grades, we'll rent heavy equipment to do any kind of very occasional hard work)
- We'll primarily be using it to get around in the winter but want the dual utility of having a truck as well.
- Commutes will be one hour bi-weekly.

What aspects are most important to you?
- Traverse through up to 26 inches of snow (October 2011 Storm) in an emergency. (I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where we would need to ever go out in the middle of 26 inches of snow but the person financing the vehicle purchase wants the capability)
- The truck needs to have enough weight to not slide around in the snow too easily (we had to put a ton of cinder blocks in the back of the old little ford ranger) but there is no need for any sort of huge truck.
- Plow attachment capability in case plows cannot reach our location.
- 78.96 = Average snowfall per year (another source: http://www.stevesauter.com/40yearsnow.htm)
- 61.55 = Average days with 1 inch or more of snow depth
- The primary use of the truck is pure utility. Function over form.
- Creature comforts, space, etc. is not a factor we care about.
- The truck does not need to be a recent model year as long as it is well maintained and fairly inexpensive and simple to repair.

My general idea is a mid size truck, use snow tires during the winter months, and have some snow chains ready in-case it's really horrible.

What's wrong with another, potentially newer Ranger?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Fort Wayne Indiana, Glenbrook Hyundai/Bob Rohrman KIA.

The second part of the warranty is probably a nontransferrable third party warranty purchased by the dealer with clauses you could drive a whole truck full of reman transmissions through.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

jonathan posted:

The Infiniti m45, how does the engine deal with 87 octane fuel ? Is the ECU able to retard the ignition timing quickly enough to avoid pinging ? The remote areas I travel to will mean I will occasionally have to fill up with regular grade fuel.

Perhaps if I drive without mashing the go pedal I can avoid engine damage. My old racecar had high compression and a lot of boost, but I drove it with 94 octane on occasion without destroying the gaskets.

The m45's engine is 10:1 compression ratio which is on the high side of standard compression. It wants higher octane fuel for best performance. That said, all the modern Inifiti's are able to detect ping and retard to avoid it. You can definitely run on 87.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

RWD with an extremely light back end in the snow. Yeah I can throw a few hundred pounds in the back of it but I'm not entirely sure that's a smart idea. The conditions where we'll be moving are aren't as bad as where we used the old ('99) ranger. Also the roads aren't as windy or steep and we had trouble with the old ranger here even with weight in the back and studded snow tires (yeah I know we wanted snow tires not studded snow tires)

On truck forums everyone screams 4WD, is there a reason for that? I heard something about it not mattering while you're moving anyway.

e: That said the ranger does have some 4WD models. I'm curious as to why the CG rating is so horribly low on it? It might not mean anything but I'm curious why that is. Would something like a 2010 4WD XLT ranger be a decent choice? We can go older but apparently 2010 added traction control, anti-skid, and side airbags.

Raxmus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 6, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The second part of the warranty is probably a nontransferrable third party warranty purchased by the dealer with clauses you could drive a whole truck full of reman transmissions through.

It's a dealer issued warranty, they back it up themselves. They just started doing it a few years ago so I don't know anyone who's had to use it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It's a dealer issued warranty, they back it up themselves. They just started doing it a few years ago so I don't know anyone who's had to use it.

I'm going to guess it's a "warranty" that forces (or at least tries to force) you to have all scheduled maintenance done by the dealer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was going to say it's not going to be any heavier than their existing Ranger, but I didn't realize the old one was 2WD. A 4WD Ranger wouldn't be a bad idea then, if only for the added weight to help it dig in rather than skip off the top.

Raxmus posted:

Realistically, I can't think of a single "DO NOT BUY THIS" truck that fits in your category. I'd pass on S10s and the stores I've heard of problems on various Powerstroke Fords scare me, but you've excluded both of them already anyway. Trucks are simple beasts, and Ford, GM, Toyota, and Dodge (well, I'd avoid the Dakota too) have all figured them out pretty drat well. You're already on the right track in that the condition and history of a particular example is the most important thing to go on.

Alternatively: if the issue is the rear end getting light, does it have to be a truck and not a SUV? That's a few hundred pounds of weight 'in the bed' right there. Every time I've been to a boat ramp, Suburbans could pull boats out of the water better than anything without 4WD.

Also, what "CG" rating are you referring to? If you mean Consumer Reports (or something similar), the Ranger was pretty well crapped on for the last few years (and somewhat rightfully so) for being nearly 100% the same truck in 2011 as it was in 1998. You've got newer engines, newer automatic transmissions, and the bare minimum of added features to meet federal safety and emissions laws, but otherwise it was a relic. I don't see it as a bad thing, but when you're a magazine comparing it to, say, a 2005+ Tacoma, the age really shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm going to guess it's a "warranty" that forces (or at least tries to force) you to have all scheduled maintenance done by the dealer.

I think it's only one you pass the initial warranty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Raxmus posted:

RWD with an extremely light back end in the snow. Yeah I can throw a few hundred pounds in the back of it but I'm not entirely sure that's a smart idea. The conditions where we'll be moving are aren't as bad as where we used the old ('99) ranger. Also the roads aren't as windy or steep and we had trouble with the old ranger here even with weight in the back and studded snow tires (yeah I know we wanted snow tires not studded snow tires)

On truck forums everyone screams 4WD, is there a reason for that? I heard something about it not mattering while you're moving anyway.

e: That said the ranger does have some 4WD models. I'm curious as to why the CG rating is so horribly low on it? It might not mean anything but I'm curious why that is. Would something like a 2010 4WD XLT ranger be a decent choice? We can go older but apparently 2010 added traction control, anti-skid, and side airbags.

I was going to say, not all Rangers are 2WD. I'm a big fan of utilitarian so I would say 4WD in the lowest trim you possibly can get is good. The Ranger is cheap to run, cheap to work on and parts are everywhere. The downside is that it's from 1998.

If you don't like the Ranger, find a work truck spec of the Silverado 1500, F150 or Ram 1500. The work truck spec has a bench seat and is generally pretty light in terms of features, which is nice if you are focusing on utility.

edit2: Even with any normal truck with 4WD, the weight distribution kind of sucks so it's not a bad idea to keep some weight in the back in the form of sandbags.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I think it's only one you pass the initial warranty.

You can have a clause in that warranty saying "warranty void if scheduled maintenance not performed at Hyundai of XYZ" very, very easily.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thank you very much KYOON GRIFFEY JR and Iowncalculus, you have been very helpful. Is is okay to post specific vehicles or ads in this thread if we find something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ain't my thread but I think that's fine.

The Ranger's dead but if you go to your Ford store (or chevy/dodge/whomever) and see what they have for a cheap rear end 4x4 truck now is Discount Season on MY2012. Might be able to get something pretty cheap.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can have a clause in that warranty saying "warranty void if scheduled maintenance not performed at Hyundai of XYZ" very, very easily.

I got the same thing, and it uses the exact same verbage as the original warranty, it's just 10 years now and it is transferable (as opposed to the powertrain which is not). Hyundai must be desperate or something.

Research tells me the cost is $800 to $1K for the addition if it wasn't comped. These cars must be really realible or just cheap to fix, or this is a huge loss leader for them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Time value of money doesn't hurt either.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LorneReams posted:

I got the same thing, and it uses the exact same verbage as the original warranty, it's just 10 years now and it is transferable (as opposed to the powertrain which is not). Hyundai must be desperate or something.

Research tells me the cost is $800 to $1K for the addition if it wasn't comped. These cars must be really realible or just cheap to fix, or this is a huge loss leader for them.

The Hyundais and Kias I've seen with automatic transmissions claim that the ATF is a "lifetime fluid" and the service interval on the engine coolant is 10 years / 120k miles for the factory fluid and then every 2 years after.

I'm pretty impressed that they're doing these insanely long powertrain warranties in combination with unbelievably low maintenance schedules. The manual for the Kia Soul said it needs nothing more than oil changes and new air filters, and a coolant change after 10 years for the first 150k miles. The manual even explicitly says not to check your ATF. How long does a conventional auto last with no fluid changes ever?

Edit: Don't these 6+ speed automatic trannys also make more heat because they are constantly shifting? Lifetime fluids freak me out, but given that both luxury and economy manufacturers are doing it I suppose they must know much more than I do. I just think its crazy that my Miata suggests replacing the whole goddamn waterpump every 60k miles while I'm in there doing the timing belt, and modern cars have coolant that lasts a decade.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 6, 2012

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well it looks like the Ranger XLT 4WD has been vetoed as "too small". For a quick comparison:

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck Regular Cab Pickup 4.3L V6 4-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed:

Width: 79.9 in.
Height: 73.6 in.
Length: 205.6 in.
Ground clearance: 7.7 in.
Front track: 68.1 in.
Rear track: 67.0 in.
Wheel base: 119.0 in.

2011 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab Pickup 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.1 ft. Bed:

Width: 69.3 in.
Height: 66.2 in.
Length: 189.4 in.
Ground clearance: 8.9 in.
Front track: 58.5 in.
Rear track: 57.3 in.
Wheel base: 111.5 in.

It turns out they're both around $16,000 with comparable mileage.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Purchased a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire today, throttle got stuck on the way home and it went right back to the dealership to get looked at tomorrow.

This does not bode well. I was really looking forward to a more reliable car than my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon, which was a money furnace.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Purchased a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire today...I was really looking forward to a more reliable car than my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon

Does not compute.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Weinertron posted:

The Hyundais and Kias I've seen with automatic transmissions claim that the ATF is a "lifetime fluid" and the service interval on the engine coolant is 10 years / 120k miles for the factory fluid and then every 2 years after.

I'm pretty impressed that they're doing these insanely long powertrain warranties in combination with unbelievably low maintenance schedules. The manual for the Kia Soul said it needs nothing more than oil changes and new air filters, and a coolant change after 10 years for the first 150k miles. The manual even explicitly says not to check your ATF. How long does a conventional auto last with no fluid changes ever?

Edit: Don't these 6+ speed automatic trannys also make more heat because they are constantly shifting? Lifetime fluids freak me out, but given that both luxury and economy manufacturers are doing it I suppose they must know much more than I do. I just think its crazy that my Miata suggests replacing the whole goddamn waterpump every 60k miles while I'm in there doing the timing belt, and modern cars have coolant that lasts a decade.

They design parts from the ground up with a certain lifetime fluid in mind. They'll send that fluid out to our really far the gently caress out research projects and get really angry if we don't use it for concepts that are 20 years out. The amount of reliability testing they do with those fluids is jawdropping.

Every time I hear someone replacing their ATF with some performance goop I die a little inside, just because of all the work that goes into characterizing the factory fluid.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the suggestions a few pages ago. I put an offer down at a dealership of 13,500 for a like new low mileage 300c, they cam back with 14,500. Just waiting for the paperwork to go through, will most likely be picking it up tomorrow.

It will be getting some snow tires to deal with the -40 weather we get here starting 2 months from now, and come spring, some performance touring tires on 20" wheels, coilovers with bilsteins and possibly a procharger with water/ethanol injection

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Uncle Jam posted:

They design parts from the ground up with a certain lifetime fluid in mind. They'll send that fluid out to our really far the gently caress out research projects and get really angry if we don't use it for concepts that are 20 years out. The amount of reliability testing they do with those fluids is jawdropping.

Every time I hear someone replacing their ATF with some performance goop I die a little inside, just because of all the work that goes into characterizing the factory fluid.

It depends. VW/Audi said that the fill on the ATs on the B5 Passat and A4 was "lifetime." ZF disagreed and recommended 60k mi. The fluid manufacturer said not over 75k mi. Now we have VWs making GBS threads transmissions at 150k or so (admittedly VW and Audi probably didn't expect the cars to last past 100k mi).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raxmus posted:

Well it looks like the Ranger XLT 4WD has been vetoed as "too small". For a quick comparison:

I would be looking at base model 4WD F150's with the EcoBoost.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

nm posted:

It depends. VW/Audi said that the fill on the ATs on the B5 Passat and A4 was "lifetime." ZF disagreed and recommended 60k mi. The fluid manufacturer said not over 75k mi. Now we have VWs making GBS threads transmissions at 150k or so (admittedly VW and Audi probably didn't expect the cars to last past 100k mi).

Yeah, not sure about that, as my experience isn't with VW/Audi. Everyone has their own fluid they use, and some are closer to their fluid than others. It is a weird industry.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

leica posted:

That seems like it's a good idea. I've been leaning toward fords for parts/service anyway. I'm guessing 4WD means service is going to be more expensive and some additional possible repairs. Are ecoboost engines known to cause any additional issues? Honestly I would be more than fine with a ranger XLT 4x4 but "we" have vetoed anything Dodge, Nissan, or apparently small. I was dreading the fuel cost so the ecoboost is a welcome addition.

The bottom line is I need to research 4WD vehicles and what kind of service / driving style they require.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
Lady totaled my reliable Accord '01 from behind, now I need a car by Monday!

Proposed Budget: 25-30K
New or Used: New, or at least certified pre-owned.
Body Style: 2DR Coupe or 4DR Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Driving to work 15-20 minutes weekdays, usual weekend driving.

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability/Warranty, Fun to drive (Accord felt week with 4 cylinders). I like luxury items like sunroofs and gadgets, but there's only so much I'm willing to pay for leather. The closer to 25K the better, but since I intend to drive this car until its demise, I'm willing to pay more for a long-term payoff.

I had been looking at Nissan Altimas, Kia Optimas, but people I've talked to seem down on either brand. I know nearly nothing about cars, so any and all advice is very appreciated.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Geckoagua posted:

Proposed Budget: 25-30K
New or Used: New, or at least certified pre-owned.
Body Style: 2DR Coupe or 4DR Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Driving to work 15-20 minutes weekdays, usual weekend driving.

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability/Warranty, Fun to drive (Accord felt week with 4 cylinders). I like luxury items like sunroofs and gadgets, but there's only so much I'm willing to pay for leather. The closer to 25K the better, but since I intend to drive this car until its demise, I'm willing to pay more for a long-term payoff.

I had been looking at Nissan Altimas, Kia Optimas, but people I've talked to seem down on either brand. I know nearly nothing about cars, so any and all advice is very appreciated.

For your price range, you could fully trick out a compact (Civic, Elantra, Focus, Cruze) with bells and whistles or get another midsize at a mid-level trim with fewer luxuries but more room.

Don't believe what you are hearing on the Optima as it's a great car. Some people (like me) believe Kia's seats are a little too firm but that's like...your own opinion man.

The Sonata is a nice alternative if you don't like the Kia but still want the same MPG and warranty.

The 2012 Fusion is being replaced by the new Aston-lite 2013 Fusion but it was still really solid and you could score a deal on it possibly.

The other major player is the Camry but it's probably the least fun to drive in the segment.

I don't know enough about the Altima to give you a decent report. It was recently refreshed for the 2013 model though.

The Accord just had its new model unveiled so if you want another one you may be able to get a good deal on a 2012 like the Fusion I mentioned. It's boring but it's still an Accord.

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It appears as if plans have changed a bit and now I'm on a budget of about $10,000 for a small-ish used truck that can manage in the winter.

So far the choices are:
Toyota Tacoma 4WD Regular Cab 6' Bed
Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Regular Cab 6' Bed
Chevrolet Colorado Work Truck 4WD Regular Cab 6' Bed

These all weigh around 3500-3700 lbs. I'm also thinking the fuel economy will be better on those than the 1 ton higher models such as the Silverado, Ram, and F150.

If you had to pick one, which one would it be, and why? Would there be any other models else on that list? Also I was thinking something around 2004-2006 range with low(ish) mileage. Is that realistic? Thanks very much for all your help AI you are wonderful.

Thwomp posted:

I don't know enough about the Altima to give you a decent report. It was recently refreshed for the 2013 model though.

For an anecdote we've owned a 2009 (put 60,000+ miles on it without a single hiccup) and now own a 2012 and they've been almost entirely care free. The recommended maint. is fairly minimal and well detailed in the manual. They're huge (often surprised what we can fit in it with the seats down), comfy, and the hands free bluetooth works really well. The 2012 was fairly inexpensive considering the 2013 redesign is being released. Accord seems to be almost identical, but the Altima was cheaper for practically the same vehicle. Bear in mind it's not very "fun" to drive though. It's a very practical car but not a very fun car. The engine is fairly small but you'll certainly have enough power to get where you want to go. Don't expect it to have any personality though, it's pretty drat hard to get it to slide on anything as evidently the traction control does all of the work for you.

Raxmus fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

edit ^^ Ranger. More parts availability, you'll pay a premium on the Taco for higher miles, and the Chevy isn't as good. Nissan Frontier isn't bad but it's got a bit of a price premium as well.

leica posted:

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff a package-free XL 4WD EcoBoost is 31K MSRP, come on dude.

Raximus, I know you expressed concerns about fuel economy, but how much driving are you actually doing? If you were considering a new F150, the EcoBoost gets identical fuel efficiency vs the NA V6, and costs way, way more. Why not get the NA 6, unless you'll be doing Serious Duty Hauling/Towing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 7, 2012

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit ^^ Ranger. More parts availability, you'll pay a premium on the Taco for higher miles, and the Chevy isn't as good. Nissan Frontier isn't bad but it's got a bit of a price premium as well.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I had been leaning toward the ranger as well. It seems Tacos here go for a lot of $$$. Most people ask above KBB private sale, but at least it's not as bad as the Subaru/Volvo fanaticism. I'm having a family member get me a zero interest loan on half the cost and they won't loan the money on a Dodge or Nissan truck. I can't be arsed to argue about it when there are multiple good other options.

e:

http://www.redbarncycles.com/2002_Ford_Ranger_Ludlow_MA_157406705.veh

Found this, KBB is 6,500 private sale. I was thinking we'd offer $5,000 cash pending our mechanic okays it. That way I could put some very nice snow tires on it and have money for possible repairs. Opinions? I don't give two about the color, wheels, extended cab, etc. so it may be advantageous to just wait a bit and find something that meets exact specs (barebones) for less $$$.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff a package-free XL 4WD EcoBoost is 31K MSRP, come on dude.

Raximus, I know you expressed concerns about fuel economy, but how much driving are you actually doing? If you were considering a new F150, the EcoBoost gets identical fuel efficiency vs the NA V6, and costs way, way more. Why not get the NA 6, unless you'll be doing Serious Duty Hauling/Towing.

It's going to be about 185 miles a week. We've decided to hold off on a heavier-duty truck (primarily for hauling smallish livestock like sheep, goat and chickens) for a few years. I'll be using the smaller truck as my primary transportation. You make an interesting point about the Ecoboost models costing so much more for power we probably won't need. Anyway that's a ways in the future so as of recent new plans it's off the table. Thanks again for all the help, we're truck idiots so this thread is a life saver on making an educated decision.

Thankfully we have a mechanic family friend to take a look at anything we find used.

Raxmus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 7, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Purchased a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire today, throttle got stuck on the way home and it went right back to the dealership to get looked at tomorrow.

This does not bode well. I was really looking forward to a more reliable car than my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon, which was a money furnace.

Guinness posted:

Does not compute.

Just to elaborate on what Guinness said: in no way should you expect a early-2000s GM vehicle "more reliable" than a Hyundai. It is the opposite situation. A 2004 Pontiac Sunfire in particular is not a good car and you will never see anyone here recommend it.

Geckoagua posted:

When shopping for cars (and especially used cars), it is very bad to be under this kind of time pressure. By all means spend the weekend looking, but you should line up a rental car for Monday and feel free to rent a car for a few days or a week, rather than be forced to buy a car after test driving maybe two or three, and having to buy something that's on the lot, and not being able to do much comparison shopping.

This is a very big purchase: give it the time and attention it deserves.

Also: check your insurance coverage, because some will give you a few days of a rental car for free under various circumstances.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 7, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Going to agree with everything in this post. The Taco is no doubt a solid truck, and the Colorado probably is just fine too, but if being cheap and simple are goals it is very, very difficult to outdo the Ranger. With your budget and drivetrain choice, you're only looking at V6s (the 4cyl 4WD went away after 1997) so you're pretty much choosing between three of Ford's longest-running workhorse engines underhood - the 3.0 Vulcan, the 4.0 OHV, and the 4.0 OHC. Maintenance is simple, and parts are ridiculously cheap.

I replaced my upper control arms, lower balljoints, all four shocks, rear brakes, and power stering hoses for about $300. Of course I still need to actually do the rear shocks, rear brakes, and said hoses, but I have the parts! New headlights, corner markers, and header panel set me back only about $100 when I bought the truck.

And while the current F-series V6 / Ecoboost V6 is a very compelling choice (it's pretty much responsible for most of the nails in the Ranger's coffin - it's more capable and yet cheaper to fuel than even the 4cyl Ranger), it's playing in an entirely different universe price-wise than used Rangers. That V6 has only been out since 2011, so there aren't very many of them on the used market yet.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Leperflesh posted:

When shopping for cars (and especially used cars), it is very bad to be under this kind of time pressure. By all means spend the weekend looking, but you should line up a rental car for Monday and feel free to rent a car for a few days or a week, rather than be forced to buy a car after test driving maybe two or three, and having to buy something that's on the lot, and not being able to do much comparison shopping.

This is a very big purchase: give it the time and attention it deserves.

Also: check your insurance coverage, because some will give you a few days of a rental car for free under various circumstances.

I agree, it's a pretty crap situation. The other insurance company is covering the rental until monday, but I really dislike having to pay out of pocket for something with zero return. In my brilliance I never took the rental clause on my insurance so I can't really use that option. I'm thinking I will check out several places over the weekend, if I simply don't find anything I'm satisfied with I'll extend, but I'd rather not.

Does anybody have an opinion on Nissan's? I really like what I see but nobody seems familiar with the brand.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Geckoagua posted:

I agree, it's a pretty crap situation. The other insurance company is covering the rental until monday, but I really dislike having to pay out of pocket for something with zero return. In my brilliance I never took the rental clause on my insurance so I can't really use that option. I'm thinking I will check out several places over the weekend, if I simply don't find anything I'm satisfied with I'll extend, but I'd rather not.

Does anybody have an opinion on Nissan's? I really like what I see but nobody seems familiar with the brand.

A rental car for a month can cost less then a car payment if you make a bad decision. Don't think of it as zero return, think of it as car payment #0.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Geckoagua posted:

The new Altima is fine but probably will feel a bit underpowered without the V6.

I am a huge fan of the Ford Fusion and as it's being replaced this model year you can get a current (2012) MY for cheap. Worth checking out, especially since you evidently Need Car Now. It drives quite well, is competitively priced and has decent power with the V6. I don't love the interior too much, though the leather in the SEL is of good quality. SE V6 starts at 25,000 and Sport starts at 28. You should be able to get either with an assload of cash on the hood. (like three, four grand)b

The new Camry is quite nice as well. Worth trying out, especially if you're gonna drive it til it dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Geckoagua posted:

Have you thought about Scion FRS? There is no telling what the reliability would be like, but the manual is at $25k and the automatic is at $26k. The people I know who have driven it love it, but I've heard its hard to find on lots right now. That might suck with the time pressure.

quote:

The new Camry is quite nice as well. Worth trying out, especially if you're gonna drive it til it dies.

The new Camry V6 is really nice. Last week I had a Camry V6 as a rental from Mon to Wed, then on Friday I got a rental upgrade to a Mustang V6 and I got all excited and it was kind of disappointing driving it because it wasn't really anything amazing after driving the Camry. :(

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 8, 2012