Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think ESPN didn't get enough heat for some of their more half baked 30 for 30's.

I hated the Red Sox one because jesus christ, that was so drat recent and also one of the most OVER COVERED sports stories of the past decade.

Once Brothers and Tim Richmond: To the Limit both suffered (though the Richmond one to a much greater extent) from the fact that they were done by the official bodies of the respective sport. Once Brothers had far too contrived of an ending and Tim Richmond was a historical white wash.

I thought House of Steinbrenner actually was a bit underrated a bit though. I'm not fan of the Yankees but I thought it was an interesting though small in scope view of why people care about the Yankees. I was disappointed in it ultimately because I love Barbara Kopple's work but it just felt truncated, oddly paced, and the fact that George died I'm sure lead to some weird rushes in editing.

Also a friend of mine has an opportunity to possibly pitch some ideas to ESPN. What would a dream 30 for 30 be for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

soggybagel posted:

I hated the Red Sox one because jesus christ, that was so drat recent and also one of the most OVER COVERED sports stories of the past decade.

Granted I've only seen 4 of the episodes (16th Man, Two Escobars, Once Brothers, Catching Hell), but I thought Catching Hell was amazing!

I had losely followed baseball on and off for years, and when I first heard about the 30 for 30 I just assumed it was the Jess Maier yankees incident. I was amazed watching it when I discovered it was a completetly different incident that I hadn't heard of. I'm sure the US media ran it into the ground when it happened, but being in Australia I hadn't seen or heard of it before, and it was just a great documentary. I especially loved how it weaved in the background of the Red Sox curse and thought it did a really good job presenting the story given I hadn't heard of it before.

soggybagel posted:

Once Brothers and Tim Richmond: To the Limit both suffered (though the Richmond one to a much greater extent) from the fact that they were done by the official bodies of the respective sport. Once Brothers had far too contrived of an ending and Tim Richmond was a historical white wash.

Agree completetly with this. It felt a little heavy handed and while I did enjoy it, it definetly felt a step below the others I had seen.

soggybagel posted:

Also a friend of mine has an opportunity to possibly pitch some ideas to ESPN. What would a dream 30 for 30 be for you?

I've always thought it would be good to see them cover the 1968 Olympics and Tommie Smith, Peter Norman and John Carlos (the black power salute on the podium).

Also theres a few football related incidents that I think would fit the style of the shows perfectly, namely Hillsborough 1989 and Munich 1972.

I've found it very hard to find an easy (and legal) method of getting all the 30 for 30's in both the UK and Australia, so hopefully they can work on that as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah Four Days in October is annoying to people who were, you know, following baseball intently eight years ago, but I think it'll hold up well in the end as an event worth having a documentary on.

On the other hand, the actual documentary itself is total loving poo poo. Easily the worst of the bunch.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I think Game(s) 162 from 2011 (MLB) should be made into a 30 for 30 way down the road if this thing goes that long. Or they can just air the beginning to The Show '12

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I was expecting a lot better from "Kings Ransom" but :geno:

FlickingFire
Nov 8, 2011
Love this series, I particularly liked the Matt Hoffman one and Once Brothers, for all its shortcomings. Also as a football fan the Two Escobars made for great viewing. Would like to see some more footy ones in the upcoming season/s, I think Hillsborough would make a good/depressing doco. Dunno if ESPN classifies it as a 'sport' but an episode chronicling the Chris Benoit incident and maybe steroid use in pro wrestling would have me watching

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

FlickingFire posted:

Dunno if ESPN classifies it as a 'sport' but an episode chronicling the Chris Benoit incident and maybe steroid use in pro wrestling would have me watching

This would be really interesting, though I doubt you would get anybody currently working for WWE to contribute in any meaningful way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

soggybagel posted:

Jerry Jones time in Dallas has plenty of material- his arrival and firing of Tom Landry, the deterioration of his relationship with Jimmy Johnson, the Barry Switzer era, etc. On the other hand, all of that is pretty heavily documented, and it would probably include more Skip Bayless talking head segments than I could stand, so maybe not.

Ten years from now there should be a fantastic doc about the birth of the Big 12 in 1994 and its near death experience in the summer of 2010.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah Four Days in October is annoying to people who were, you know, following baseball intently eight years ago, but I think it'll hold up well in the end as an event worth having a documentary on.

On the other hand, the actual documentary itself is total loving poo poo. Easily the worst of the bunch.

4 Days in October is awesome if you lazily follow the red sox and need something to watch instead of this year's team lose another game.

The one I haven't seen that I want to see most is Into The Wind

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
being hit in the dick with a sand bag dropped from a great height is preferable to watching the 2012 red sox right now

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

soggybagel posted:

The 1973 Indianapolis 500

Amongst the lovely things that happened:
- Endless postponements because of rain
- A beloved veteran killed in practice
- An almost fatal pileup on the start (The guy who caused it ended up addicted to pain medication & turned to crime)
- A pit crew worker got run over & killed in the pits in front of the main grandstand & TV/radio broadcast booths
- A young up-and-comer had a wreck after leading the race for the first time, and was recovering when he received a tainted blood sample a month later & died
- His teammate is in the lead when the race is stopped due to rain, and despite trying to win for years can't enjoy it when it happens.

It's an amazing story about the pointlessness of high-risk sports & the people who realise this, but do them anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd love to see one on cheating/rule bending in NASCAR. Basically make it a 90 minute documentary on Smokey Yunick.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

This one could be a bit broad, but maybe an episode on athlete scouting in general? I know they did one on Todd Marinovich (it was decent, nothing outstanding) but they could go in the opposite direction... like discuss Tom Brady or Mike Piazza or something on how they play(ed) at the level they did(are) when they were drafted so late in their respected drafts. I don't know enough about hockey and basketball to know they'd have people in that situation.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Collusion in Major League Baseball under Peter Uberroth (85-87ish).

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

DJExile posted:

I'd love to see one on cheating/rule bending in NASCAR. Basically make it a 90 minute documentary on Smokey Yunick.

I also would love a doco on cheating in motor sports in general, and the 10 part mini-series on Tom Walkinshaw Racing that would follow.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

soggybagel posted:

I think ESPN didn't get enough heat for some of their more half baked 30 for 30's.

I thought House of Steinbrenner actually was a bit underrated a bit though. I'm not fan of the Yankees but I thought it was an interesting though small in scope view of why people care about the Yankees. I was disappointed in it ultimately because I love Barbara Kopple's work but it just felt truncated, oddly paced, and the fact that George died I'm sure lead to some weird rushes in editing.

I'd like to see one chronicling the different nation-sponsored training that goes on for the Olympics.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Despite the material being done to death already in books and such, I'd still love to see one about Bob Knight. Maybe about his departure from IU?

And I agree that something like Hillsborough would be pretty gripping - really I'd just like to see another about soccer.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

The 1973 Indianapolis 500

Amongst the lovely things that happened:
- Endless postponements because of rain
- A beloved veteran killed in practice
- An almost fatal pileup on the start (The guy who caused it ended up addicted to pain medication & turned to crime)
- A pit crew worker got run over & killed in the pits in front of the main grandstand & TV/radio broadcast booths
- A young up-and-comer had a wreck after leading the race for the first time, and was recovering when he received a tainted blood sample a month later & died
- His teammate is in the lead when the race is stopped due to rain, and despite trying to win for years can't enjoy it when it happens.

It's an amazing story about the pointlessness of high-risk sports & the people who realise this, but do them anyway.

A special on the 1981 race would be amazing in my view.

Also, one on "The Split", and it's impact on motorsport in the US.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

soggybagel posted:

Pittsburgh drug trials

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

90 minutes of Earl Weaver swearing at umpires and reporters.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

DJExile posted:

Smokey Yunick isn't a story about cheating in Nascar. Its about finding any possible way to sidestep any rule. If he was a general he would find ways around the loving Geneva Convention. He is his own documentary. He cheated in sports car, open wheel. Dude probably cheated in a loving lawn mower race.

Smokey Yunick was awesome.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also, one on "The Split", and it's impact on motorsport in the US.

This would be great. I even have the name.

"gently caress Tony George".

Something that might be good is one on College Football where it goes into the deals that lead to FSU playing Savannah State, Alabama playing Western Kentucky High School or who ever the gently caress that is. And not just be a "D1 teams use it to pad their schedule". Go into the money, the administration push, the NCAA's allowance of it. Get into the business and the underhanded poo poo that I am sure is going on.

I would also like to see one done on the sports books/wise guys and how they build lines, what they use to adjust. The real inside decisions. Not a layman's version.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe a film about Marge Schott?

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

FlickingFire posted:

Love this series, I particularly liked the Matt Hoffman one and Once Brothers, for all its shortcomings. Also as a football fan the Two Escobars made for great viewing. Would like to see some more footy ones in the upcoming season/s, I think Hillsborough would make a good/depressing doco. Dunno if ESPN classifies it as a 'sport' but an episode chronicling the Chris Benoit incident and maybe steroid use in pro wrestling would have me watching

Years ago, I remember Simmons listing topics they wanted to do but didn't for the original 30 for 30 and a documentary about Andre the Giant was one they really wanted to do. They didn't because of the footage rights being impossible to get since WWE would rather do it themselves.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should have done one about Dock Ellis' LSD perfect game when he was still alive.

That Steinbrenner doc was disappointing to me, because originally I thought it was pitched as more of a story about Steinbrenner himself. But then he died and 90% of that doc was about New Yankee Stadium, which I could give a crap about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Here is the schedule for the upcoming 30 for 30 'Round II':

October 2nd: 'Broke' (about athletes and financial troubles. Subjects include Bernie Kosar, Andre Rison, and Cliff Floyd)

October 9th: '9.79' (about Ben Johnson breaking the speed record and then getting busted for doping)

October 16th: 'There's No Place Like Home' (about a man trying to purchase the original Naismith 'Rules of Basketball' at a Sotheby's auction so that he can return them to Naismith's home down of Lawrence, Kansas)

October 23rd: 'Benji' (about Ben Wilson, a major HS basketball prospect who was murdered in 1984 shortly before his senior season)

October 30th: 'Ghosts of Ole Miss' (about the integration in 1962 at the University of Mississippi and their unbeaten football team)

December 8th: 'You Don't Know Bo' (about Bo Jackson and what he's been doing since he retired, or something)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe a film about Marge Schott?

You see she was good for baseball at first.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

FlamingLiberal posted:

They should have done one about Dock Ellis' LSD perfect game when he was still alive.

Eh, it's been done to death and there's a crew working on a feature length documentary about Ellis' life story.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

October 2nd: 'Broke' (about athletes and financial troubles. Subjects include Bernie Kosar, Andre Rison, and Cliff Floyd)

Really looking forward to seeing this.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Is "40 Minutes of Hell" about Nolan Richardson and the Arkansas basketball team worth seeking out? If it's similar quality to Guru of Go or the HBO UNLV documentary I think it's something I'd like to see.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cliff Floyd has been retired since 2010, and he made over 53 million dollars in his career :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

Cliff Floyd has been retired since 2010, and he made over 53 million dollars in his career :stare:
Yeah, all of a sudden this year he's doing Marlins TV broadcasts with Preston Wilson. He never did anything to my knowledge TV-wise before this year.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

ozymandius1024 posted:

That money goes in a hurry. He probably retired with about 500,000 or maybe even less.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Here is the schedule for the upcoming 30 for 30 'Round II':

October 30th: 'Ghosts of Ole Miss' (about the integration in 1962 at the University of Mississippi and their unbeaten football team)

December 8th: 'You Don't Know Bo' (about Bo Jackson and what he's been doing since he retired, or something)

The first sounds fascinating, and the other two have the potential to be awesome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Frankly I'd just love to see more racing documentaries.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just think, even the Indy 500 itself, is just too important of an event to not have a documentary about. It's one of the elite sporting events in the country, but I don't think this current generation cares enough about it anymore. I really believe that it'd be great if it's importance within sports was brought to the nations attention again.

1979 Daytona 500 would be good too, and it's importance in bringing NASCAR to a mainstream audience for the first time.

High School football in Ohio would be great to cover as well. Often times Masslion-McKinley get mentioned, but schools like Steubenville are just insanely into the whole thing.

Same with Basketball in Indiana.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hello Towel posted:

The first sounds fascinating, and the other two have the potential to be awesome.

I will be incredibly disappointed if the one about Bo isn't amazing.

Hell, I'm just excited that I'll probably have a good source to link now for the time he threw out whoever it was from the wall from the left field wall. I look for that every once in a while and can't ever find it.

e: Oh I hope it is more about Bo the athlete and not about what he's done since he retired, I just read that part. Although I guess that could be interesting too it's not what I want.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 7, 2012

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I believe that the Bo documentary has already aired before at a few public screenings, and the buzz has been generally positive.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ozymandius1024 posted:

This is football, not baseball like what Floyd played, but 3/4 of all NFL players will file for bankruptcy at some point after leaving the NFL. It's amazing how quickly players blow through that money.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I'd like to see one about the Atlanta Olympic bombing, specifically the shitstorm that Richard Jewell went through. Most people probably don't even remember who actually planted the bomb and why (I know I didn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Frankly I'd just love to see more racing documentaries.

I would like to see one on the discussion/development/retarded thought process, then eventual fall out from the COT.

Followed by a 30 for 30 about the new Indy Car.

So we can see just how loving incompetent NASCAR is.

• Locked thread