Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

FreakyZoid posted:

Lord of the Rings would have been way better if an alien pimp turned up in his limo halfway through.

That Limo is still one of my favorite kits. Fun to build, looks great, and just wonderful all around.

Finished the Haunted House this morning; stayed up until 2 AM last night, until I started dropping more pieces than I was assembling. It's almost a grueling build. Of those more than 2,000 pieces, I'd say the vast majority are small; either one stud or two stud pieces. I spent a lot of time searching for the last single brick.

I found it kinda funny, too : Lego ships everything in bags now, to make it easier. You open the bags in order, etc etc. Well, the Haunted house has I think 8 bags labeled "1." Once they're all open, you REALLY start to wonder why they didn't break it down into smaller steps.

Nonetheless, I had fun and it looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Half the fun is in the searching, numbered bags is cheating!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ika posted:

I don't search it gives me a headache. The first thing I do is dump out bags and sort.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ika posted:

The numbered bags mean something? I always just looked through the bag to see the piece I needed before opening.

Then again, it's been years since I've built a properly big lego model.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The FedEx website says my Haunted House has been delivered. Never before have I been so tempted to take a half day off and just go home.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The numbered bags have popped up in the bigger sets, usually they'll have you open one bag and build one piece of the set with some pins or pin-holes, and then the next bag/set of bags builds a second piece which connects with the first, and so on. Is the Haunted House built as just one big piece, then? I would've thought they'd seperate it into first floor, second floor etc.

Gonna pick up the Ghost Train tonight, one for my brother-in-law's birthday and one for myself. drat you, Lego, leave my wallet alone!

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

ElZilcho posted:

Yes, yes it is.

Just don't drop it moving while moving it to another room for safekeeping.

"It was like watching a chandelier fall from a great height: millions of little pieces shattering. Together they formed something beautiful, yet apart they were simply needing to be put back together in order to be beautiful once again."

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
With the unimog it told you to open some bags but then the bits you needed were in other ones. Best to open everything with that one.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The numbered bags have popped up in the bigger sets, usually they'll have you open one bag and build one piece of the set with some pins or pin-holes, and then the next bag/set of bags builds a second piece which connects with the first, and so on. Is the Haunted House built as just one big piece, then? I would've thought they'd seperate it into first floor, second floor etc.

Gonna pick up the Ghost Train tonight, one for my brother-in-law's birthday and one for myself. drat you, Lego, leave my wallet alone!

It's one big piece, its not like the other modulars where you can remove the floors because it has the hinges to open it from the side.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

youareoffthehook posted:

It's one big piece, its not like the other modulars where you can remove the floors because it has the hinges to open it from the side.

This kinda makes me want to mod it.

If I get it. :smith:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The numbered bags don't necessarily correspond to modular sections--there are plenty of non-modular (or semi-modular) builds that have numbered bags too, they just kind of cut off at somewhat arbitrary points.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I snapped and bought a Lunar Limo tonight. Hopefully it'll arrive next week.

A Lego store opened up in my city recently. Never been in one before, and it was actually really impressive. Got a gift card for there for my birthday, so I'm going to pay it another visit some time soon hopefully. I picked a good time to get back into Lego, I think.

Think I might be wanting to get that Haunted House at some point. Need to clear some space first. And build the alien mothership I got when it was on sale a while back.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The wife and baby are out of town, I have Doctor Who on Netflix and the Haunted House to assemble, this is going to be a glorious weekend. I might have to change up the floor design a little bit on the house though, I want to figure out a way to incorporate a dungeon/jail cell for all the humans the monsters have caught.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Somewhere near the kitchen, perhaps?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My dad bought a huge bag of Lego... instructions from a car boot sale today. Not the Lego itself, because going by the large number of booklets, the amount of bricks would fill a small car all by itself. this kid must have had every major set from the last 5 years. City police station, fire station, loads of SP3 sets, Agents, Exo-Force, Power Miners, Atlantis, Star Wars... There's instructions for the Lunar Limo and that makes me sad. I want it all!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Isn't that considered cruel and unusual punishment? Or did it have some of the pieces.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nope, no pieces. Just booklets. This is most of them:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Sith Interceptor is 27% off on Amazon and I am weak. If it wasn't for Brick Badger, I probably wouldn't have known and wouldn't have bought it. I don't know how to feel :gbsmith:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

$65 dollars for this bad boy at a yard sale this morning. Everything is there including the box and a ton of extra track (the other half of our figure eight is off the picture). I'm stoked because Lego trains have always been a bit too pricy for my tastes.

We spent a few hours this afternoon putting 'bad guys' on the tracks and running them over repeatedly :)

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sloppy posted:

$65 dollars for this bad boy at a yard sale this morning. Everything is there including the box and a ton of extra track (the other half of our figure eight is off the picture). I'm stoked because Lego trains have always been a bit too pricy for my tastes.

We spent a few hours this afternoon putting 'bad guys' on the tracks and running them over repeatedly :)

Fantastic buy. That's going for at least $200 over at Bricklink.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
That train is pretty awesome, and a great buy!

I found the alien mothership on clearance at one of my local walmarts for dirt cheap. That is a crazy fun build and I'm glad I finally got a hold of one. It'll go great with my alien queen. Also got two santas and a pirate to go with her. Really want that deep sea diver.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 9, 2012

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Been working on the Haunted House for a few days now and this is by far one of the biggest sets I have put together so fay. Like somebody mentioned before it is a grueling build at times, lots of 1x1 bricks that cover a ton of space, though they all create some interesting textures for the walls.

So far I am really liking this build, there is a ton of detail, lots of little things that keep catching my eye, the design of the chimney/hinge system is really well done and the hinge is fairly well hidden. I have to get up now and than to take a break or my eyes cross a bit from all the tiny bricks this thing requires, over all I am super impressed and am very happy with this set.

Hopefully I will get it done about the same time my graveyard scene gets delivered so I can have a nice display for the house. Also does anybody have a spare Wolfman from the mini figures line they are able to part with? I know I can get one in the Monster Hunter set but I really do not like his scene and will probable not be buying that one, unless it goes on a steep discount.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Series 8 spotted in Tesco UK. I just picked a bag at random, turned out "to be" the Thespian.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
"Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but...well, this happened."

That mass of boring grey pieces, that's apparently a Star Destroyer. The rest is probably several thousand assorted pieces that found their way from some old guy's attic to my brother and now to me. I've sorted about a 3rd of it and found a very good Lego to Mega Block ratio.

Also some pirate ships.

Does anyone have any idea what set these are from? My 7 year old isbatshit crazy about building these but I'm not sure what set it is. I know there's been about a dozen different pirate ships.

I think I need to invest in one of those Lego piece sifting trays...

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
6289 - Red Beard Runner

6286 - Skull's Eye Schooner

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Rivendell. :psypop: LEGO needs to make this some sort of Ultimate Collector's LOTR set.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
That is indeed the bridge area of the 10030 star destroyer, if you have it complete it is pretty impressive even if the magnets to hold the 4 hull sections together can be somewhat irritating.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Merchant of Death posted:

That is indeed the bridge area of the 10030 star destroyer, if you have it complete it is pretty impressive even if the magnets to hold the 4 hull sections together can be somewhat irritating.

I was told it was complete (and built) but that it fell apart in its transport. But doesn't the 10030 Star Destroyer had something like 3000 parts? This certainly isn't all of it unless there's more that I haven't yet uncovered.

I did notice some magnets while I was searching so maybe it's all included. Did it have a power source of any kind? I've got a switch, motor, and battery pack in the assorted bunch.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I was told it was complete (and built) but that it fell apart in its transport. But doesn't the 10030 Star Destroyer had something like 3000 parts? This certainly isn't all of it unless there's more that I haven't yet uncovered.

I did notice some magnets while I was searching so maybe it's all included. Did it have a power source of any kind? I've got a switch, motor, and battery pack in the assorted bunch.
Having just gone through this, your first place to stop is Bricklink.

Most of the larger pieces should have a part number on them somewhere. It'll be small, but that hull should have the number 2557 on it, which you can then search on to find this page which will then show you that it was in exactly one set -- Skull's Eye Schooner. From there you can also get an inventory to make sure you have all the pieces. If you don't have them, you can always order them from vendors on Bricklink -- and my experience is that about 10% of the pieces will be missing if you're lucky, more if you're not.

Now that you have the pieces, you want to build it. I usually just search for "[set number] LEGO instructions pdf" on Google with no quotes. Using that, I found the PDF for that set here. Peeron usually has instructions but not in PDF : example. LEGO also provides instructions through their search page, but only for a few sets.

That'll get you started on completing the sets you have. The hardest part is figuring out the most economical way to order missing parts through Bricklink.

[edit]
That's definitely parts to the 10030 Star Destroyer. There's a small assembly in your photos that directly corresponds to the riser structure just behind the bridge in this photo.

3108 pieces, so it's certain all the pieces are not in that box. The three Light Gray wheels that make the engines on the back you need to find for certain, as there's none currently available for sale on Bricklink. You could cheat with Light Bluish Gray, but it won't quite match, won't be worth as much, and those still will cost you $13 each. Nothing else looks particularly rare or expensive at first glance.

However, if you can piece it together, you can probably sell it for over $650 on eBay. I consistently get better than Bricklink Average Pricing. For example, I just sold this set for $202.50 on eBay.

PDF of the instructions here.

einTier fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 9, 2012

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

einTier posted:

Most of the larger pieces should have a part number on them somewhere. It'll be small, but that hull should have the number 2557 on it, which you can then search on to find this page which will then show you that it was in exactly one set -- Skull's Eye Schooner. From there you can also get an inventory to make sure you have all the pieces. If you don't have them, you can always order them from vendors on Bricklink -- and my experience is that about 10% of the pieces will be missing if you're lucky, more if you're not.

Now that you have the pieces, you want to build it. I usually just search for "[set number] LEGO instructions pdf" on Google with no quotes. Using that, I found the PDF for that set here. Peeron usually has instructions but not in PDF : example. LEGO also provides instructions through their search page, but only for a few sets.

That'll get you started on completing the sets you have. The hardest part is figuring out the most economical way to order missing parts through Bricklink.

[edit]
That's definitely parts to the 10030 Star Destroyer. There's a small assembly in your photos that directly corresponds to the riser structure just behind the bridge in this photo.

3108 pieces, so it's certain all the pieces are not in that box. The three Light Gray wheels that make the engines on the back you need to find for certain, as there's none currently available for sale on Bricklink. You could cheat with Light Bluish Gray, but it won't quite match, won't be worth as much, and those still will cost you $13 each. Nothing else looks particularly rare or expensive at first glance.

However, if you can piece it together, you can probably sell it for over $650 on eBay. I consistently get better than Bricklink Average Pricing. For example, I just sold this set for $202.50 on eBay.

Awesome, thanks for all that info. On second thought this looks like the whole thing (or close to it). 3000 pieces always seems like it should take up more space.

I'm now in the process of separating and bagging all the parts to rebuild it. If I can complete it I may look at reselling the set, but first things first.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
The star destroyer is impressive, and if you have all the parts to assemble it you are lucky :)

Meanwhile, this star destroyer just has to make the lego one look pale in comparison, and it has a playable interior.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73770

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I really wish they would make a new UCS imperial star destroyer, I regret never getting one (Not that I could have afforded one back then). I sometimes see the newer one for decent prices but it just doesn't look as good.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
So far they haven't really redone any of the UCS sets. They have the Star Wars license for another decade though so I imagine we might see new versions of them I hope. This year we got R2D2 and the upcoming B-Wing and if they push 2 a year they might take another whack at the x-wing and star destroyer.

While not UCS scale the 2006 playset star destroyer was just as fragile as the UCS one. At least now the larger playsets come with handles and are more soundly constructed.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

So last week was my birthday and my girlfriend kept promising it would be "the best Lego birthday ever!" and she most definitely did not disappoint.

She made me a giant Boba Fett minifigure birthday card to start things off. She also knows I'm a huge LOTR nerd so she bought me the comic con exclusive bilbo minifigure with the map and pouch. I'm thinking I'm going to put it in a shadow box or something because it's too cool to not display.

The next thing I opened were the captain America motorcycle set to complete my set of avengers minifigures. On that same theme she got me the new spider man set as well.

Those were my "small" gifts. gently caress.

Next up she plops this giant Lego box in my lap and i swear it weighs 10 pounds. So I open it up in 2.5 seconds and she got me a brand new Home
One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser which I have been drooling over pretty much ever since we got Into Lego. This set unbelievably was the "smaller" of the two huge sets she got me and at this point I'm worried at what the next set is because we're saving up to move out and I'm wondering how much money she's dropped on all this Lego.

So she hands me the next set and it's easily twice as heavy as the last one. She made me close my eyes as I opened this one so I wouldn't ruin the surprise. I rip the thing open and sitting in my lap is a brand new(with slight wear on the box but who cares) sand crawler. Holy. poo poo. My girlfriend rules.

Needless to say it was the best Lego birthday ever. I should mention that my girlfriend was the one who started this whole Lego path of destruction. I apologize for the wall of text/my horrible writing since I'm posting on my phone.

Non Lego things she got me for my
Birthday. Aliens( the movie) micro machines and she took me to the shooting range (her idea), I think I have a keeper.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Merchant of Death posted:

So far they haven't really redone any of the UCS sets. They have the Star Wars license for another decade though so I imagine we might see new versions of them I hope. This year we got R2D2 and the upcoming B-Wing and if they push 2 a year they might take another whack at the x-wing and star destroyer.

While not UCS scale the 2006 playset star destroyer was just as fragile as the UCS one. At least now the larger playsets come with handles and are more soundly constructed.

I know I've bitched about it before but the base on the 2006 one is so god drat terrible. I was holding my friends super star destroyer and was astonished at how much sturdier the base was, even though it was much larger.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Skulduggery posted:

I think I have a keeper.

You think?! Congrats on your awesome girlfriend, although I think I'm more envious of your sandcrawler.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

You think?! Congrats on your awesome girlfriend, although I think I'm more envious of your sandcrawler.
We dumped it out just for kicks and holy poo poo there's so many bags. It's older so none of the bags are numbered which pretty much forces you to dump it all out into a giant pile. Also you have to put together each tread for the 4 tracks....ridiculous.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

einTier posted:

I could be wrong, but I think that star destroyer is the 6211 set, not the UCS set.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6211_Imperial_Star_Destroyer

E - no, I am just an idiot. Looking at the rear of the 6211 structure, EinTier is right that the pieces fit the UCS model. I thought that the bridge structure looked more in line with the 6211 build in terms of size and design, but a review some photos of the UCS shows that it is pretty similar in both sets.

Last_Taste fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 10, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Last_Taste posted:

I could be wrong, but I think that star destroyer is the 6211 set, not the UCS set.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6211_Imperial_Star_Destroyer

E - no, I am just an idiot. Looking at the rear of the 6211 structure, EinTier is right that the pieces fit the UCS model. I thought that the bridge structure looked more in line with the 6211 build in terms of size and design, but a review some photos of the UCS shows that it is pretty similar in both sets.
I thought the same thing, as I just built and sold the 6211 ISD, but some parts didn't look quite right. Looked at the tower on the UCS and it was obvious which one it was. Easy mistake to make though from that picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

einTier posted:

I have 2 of those wheels :stare: What are they worth?
E: while I'm at it, is there anything obviously special in this lot?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 11, 2012