Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chlorine
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, look at that!
It is still too early but I think there could be a very good 30 for 30 about Lance Armstrong eventually.

Into the Wind and Once Brothers were my favourites because they felt the most meaningful to the wider world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Frankly I'd just love to see more racing documentaries.

I don't know if you've watched Senna, but the whole documentary is amazing. I will never forget the San Marino Grand Prix, definitely one of the formative sports moments of my life.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Chlorine posted:

It is still too early but I think there could be a very good 30 for 30 about Lance Armstrong eventually.

Into the Wind and Once Brothers were my favourites because they felt the most meaningful to the wider world.

My problem with anything about Lance Armstrong is it will be nothing but vitriol about how he cheated in a sport where literally everyone who is competitive is cheating.

All of his work for cancer/charity attention will be a foot note. The inspirational/motivational contributions will be ignored.

Basically its going to be the same as a 30 for 30 about the steroid era in baseball where the poo poo all over the players and omit how those same players were the reason why baseball managed to get viewers/fans back.

Edit:

swizz posted:

I don't know if you've watched Senna, but the whole documentary is amazing. I will never forget the San Marino Grand Prix, definitely one of the formative sports moments of my life.

Senna was really good if you were a Senna fan. But in fairness, they presented him in nothing but a positive light. They didn't show that he could be just as political and underhanded as Prost. But thats cool by me since gently caress Prost.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 7, 2012

Chlorine
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, look at that!

Danica! posted:

My problem with anything about Lance Armstrong is it will be nothing but vitriol about how he cheated in a sport where literally everyone who is competitive is cheating.

All of his work for cancer/charity attention will be a foot note. The inspirational/motivational contributions will be ignored.

Basically its going to be the same as a 30 for 30 about the steroid era in baseball where the poo poo all over the players and omit how those same players were the reason why baseball managed to get viewers/fans back.

Well I'm not going to debate the merits of livestrong in this thread. But I'd just say I don't think a problem in a documentary made by ESPN would be that it would be anti-Armstrong.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Danica! posted:

Senna was really good if you were a Senna fan. But in fairness, they presented him in nothing but a positive light. They didn't show that he could be just as political and underhanded as Prost. But thats cool by me since gently caress Prost.

I basically agree, and I was Senna fan when I was younger. I do think they implicitly acknowledged his hypocrisy to a certain extent, and his tendency to become unhinged was depicted through footage if not commentary or interviews (and I did feel as though they weren't particularly enthusiastic to speak ill of the dead, since the film ultimately culminates in a tragedy). It is admittedly for the fans and, from the outset, not an unbiased treatise on the state of Formula One at the time.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

swizz posted:

I basically agree, and I was Senna fan when I was younger. I do think they implicitly acknowledged his hypocrisy to a certain extent, and his tendency to become unhinged was depicted through footage if not commentary or interviews (and I did feel as though they weren't particularly enthusiastic to speak ill of the dead, since the film ultimately culminates in a tragedy). It is admittedly for the fans and, from the outset, not an unbiased treatise on the state of Formula One at the time.

Absolutely. I was a Senna fan too, but they did kinda Jesus-fy him, which wasn't entirely accurate.

Something that bothered me about it, and the same thing with Dale, was they never went into the engineering/mechanical issues that led to the accident. A dude got convicted of manslaughter over Senna's death. His car hit an unprotected barrier in Tamburello corner. The day after Ratzenberger died hitting an unprotected barrier. There was a lot of important poo poo they left out. It was crash, "if the suspension was 6 inches in any direction he would have lived", cut to funeral. Dale ended with crash , seatbelt broke, roll credits.

Whole lot of important details left out there.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I think it'd be great if they did a 30 for 30 on the Punch up in Piestany. In a nutshell, it was a world junior hockey game between Canada and the USSR which got physical and descended into a giant brawl when the refs lost control of the situation, ending only when the arena staff turned out the lights. Both teams were kicked out of the tournament, costing Canada a medal.

But within a few years, a small tournament had became one of the biggest (and most overhyped) events on Canadian TV. Without the controversy over this brawl, the IIHF world juniors aren't any bigger than any other junior hockey tournament.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FuzzySkinner posted:

A special on the 1981 race would be amazing in my view.

Also, one on "The Split", and it's impact on motorsport in the US.

Came here to post this. I'd like something on The Split.

Also, Broke will be fascinating.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yep, I'd also love something on the split.

Maybe something on the Bertuzzi/Moore hit too, and all of the fallout from it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd like to see one on bench guys and scrubs that win rings narrated by Brian Scalabrine.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
There's been no golf other than Arnold Palmer in the 6/17/94 doc, getting away from Tigermania, Casey Martin v. PGA Tour could be interesting and give guys like Jack and Arnold a chance to walk back what they said at the time. Plus there is a Tiger connection with both attending Stanford.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's been no golf other than Arnold Palmer in the 6/17/94 doc, getting away from Tigermania, Casey Martin v. PGA Tour could be interesting and give guys like Jack and Arnold a chance to walk back what they said at the time. Plus there is a Tiger connection with both attending Stanford.

I think you are much more likely to see the desegregation or the allowance of women at Augusta. Which would be interesting if you could actually get access to the resistance side. Because you are joking yourself if you think any of them are going to, on camera, say anything other than "upholding tradition".

Frankly if they get into golf I want to see one on Payne Stewart.

FlickingFire
Nov 8, 2011

barkingclam posted:

I think it'd be great if they did a 30 for 30 on the Punch up in Piestany. In a nutshell, it was a world junior hockey game between Canada and the USSR which got physical and descended into a giant brawl when the refs lost control of the situation, ending only when the arena staff turned out the lights. Both teams were kicked out of the tournament, costing Canada a medal.

But within a few years, a small tournament had became one of the biggest (and most overhyped) events on Canadian TV. Without the controversy over this brawl, the IIHF world juniors aren't any bigger than any other junior hockey tournament.

This sounds pretty great, I would watch it.

Looking forward to the Ben Johnson doco in particular

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Some of the milestone moments in NASCAR (1992 Hooters 500 and its subplots, Earnhardt's death) have already been covered by Speed's "The Day" series. I can't think (at least right now) of what else out of the world of NASCAR would feel right in a 30 for 30.

Could they do an NHL one on Gary Bettman and how the hell he's allowed two (soon to be three) lockouts in 20 years?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'd like one on 10-Cent Beer Night, if one hasn't been done somewhere already.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Maybe not a full length film, but I wouldn't mind a short film on the Turn Ahead the Clock promotion.

http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2012/06/20/future-uniforms-the-failed-mlb-promo-of-the-90s/

Bike Lane Closed
May 26, 2006

Mistakes were made
A Mike Danton/David Frost combined with exploring the power that coaches have over teenagers would be fascinating/disturbing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Danica! posted:

Absolutely. I was a Senna fan too, but they did kinda Jesus-fy him, which wasn't entirely accurate.

Something that bothered me about it, and the same thing with Dale, was they never went into the engineering/mechanical issues that led to the accident. A dude got convicted of manslaughter over Senna's death. His car hit an unprotected barrier in Tamburello corner. The day after Ratzenberger died hitting an unprotected barrier. There was a lot of important poo poo they left out. It was crash, "if the suspension was 6 inches in any direction he would have lived", cut to funeral. Dale ended with crash , seatbelt broke, roll credits.

Whole lot of important details left out there.

I thought SPEED's The Day was really well done, for what it's worth. They way they went into how the media had to handle Earnhardt's death was fascinating.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

The thing is, you could do one that shows George in a fair light. I mean, he's an rear end in a top hat, no question, but there's a lot more pieces to that puzzle than just him. Tracing it back to 78 would be a good start.

He did seem desperate to kind of correct his mistake finally realizing what he did, but by then it was much to late. I'll also give him some credit in admitting that the 25/8 idea was stupid.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can't think (at least right now) of what else out of the world of NASCAR would feel right in a 30 for 30.

Getting into the final races of the 2004 season and you could probably muster one with the Hendrick plane tragedy and then the follow up with the almost championship runs by Gordon and Johnson.

Also dipping back into F1, you can do the 1994 season in a nutshell. Speed has done F1 Decade for 94, but it's just a wacky year with Senna's death, Schumacher's rise to dominance, the battle between Hill/Schumacher, crazy rulings going against Schumacher, and ultimately the last race in Australia where they crashed into each other.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I like that the person who made the Iron Bowl one figured that had a pretty good football documentary but all he was missing was a bunch of footage of a guy pretending to play Sweet Home Alabama on the piano while making goofy faces.

Also, I saw the Spurlock one on agents. Were we supposed to be rooting for that douchey NFL agent who was hamming poo poo up for the camera, because I laughed when the one dude inexplicably dropped him after he got drafted.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 9, 2012

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

EdRush posted:

Is "40 Minutes of Hell" about Nolan Richardson and the Arkansas basketball team worth seeking out? If it's similar quality to Guru of Go or the HBO UNLV documentary I think it's something I'd like to see.

I thought it was pretty drat good.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Topics I'd like to see:

- Sid Bream, Barry Bonds, and 20 years of losing and futility for the Pirates (ending with a 2012 world series win... ha ha ha :smith: )
- Alex Zanardi
- Buffalo, NY and the misery thereof
- Mario Lemieux

and maybe a short about the most bizarre and hilarious off-field injuries or incidents (Clint Barmes injured carrying Todd Helton's venison upstairs, for example)

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

ALFbrot posted:

Topics I'd like to see:
- Alex Zanardi

Yeah, this would be great. He was such a good guy even before the accident, and the way he dealt with it is amazing. As long as they let the audience know that before the accident, despite how poorly his short F1 run went, he was a champion.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe a film about Marge Schott?

Only if they could get Billy West to do an impression of her again.

I really don't care what they cover as long as it's not super-gimmicky like the Tyson fight and shooting or the Red Sox. The closer to just footage like June 17, 1994, the better it is.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

nature6pk posted:

A Mike Danton/David Frost combined with exploring the power that coaches have over teenagers would be fascinating/disturbing.

The Fifth Estate documentary on him is loving disturbing like nothing else. That story is NOT over yet either.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/rogueagent/

As far as the 30 for 30 series goes I have loved nearly every single film and am looking forward to all the upcoming ones. I've watched most of them at least twice each. The only 2 from the original series that I did not like were:

"One Night in Vegas" - I just hated the style, cartoons, spoken word pieces and just overall lack of quality information.

"Marion Jones: Press Pause" - Absolutely amateur in the way it's shot, edited and presented. Feels like it was recorded on a cellphone cam.

Really disappointing given the subject matter for both was quite strong, but the filmmakers just went really bizarre directions with the material in both cases.

Also Roll Tide/War Eagle should have been a 2.5 hour feature, it was way too short for my liking.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

- Alex Zanardi

Holy poo poo why didn't I think of that. I'd wait a while though. This guys is still going and taking Paralympic golds and his old team owner Chip Ganassi and teammate Jimmy Vasser are both working together to get him to Indy next year.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Please do a 30 for 30 on Penny Hardaway

So far my favorites have been the ones on the Fab Five and Todd Marinovich and neither have those have been mentioned in the thread yet. The U and Pony Excess are a given. The Iverson one was so stretched out and boring by the end and the Reggie Miller doc was kind of stupid, too. If you don't have enough material for an hour then don't try and stretch it out.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

barkingclam posted:

There was one hell of a lineup in that game too.

Wiki posted:

Several players in that game went on to play in the National Hockey League, including Brendan Shanahan, Theoren Fleury, Sergei Fedorov and Alexander Mogilny.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think "The Marinovich Project" is vastly underrated. Rarely see it talked about but I thought it was one of the best. I knew some of the story going in but the ending really took me by surprise. Thought the emotion from the Father and Son talking about one another was as genuine as you could get.

soggybagel posted:

I think ESPN didn't get enough heat for some of their more half baked 30 for 30's.

I agree and think the ones where the league got involved ended up getting watered down. Love the concept of just giving a talent 60-120 minutes and telling them to go with it. Anytime a league gets that involved in it there is going to be some bias.

Some of the early ones were ones I didn't like. The Gretzky one felt too long and I really didn't care about the Baltimore Colts band. Love the Two Escobars though.

Lance Armstrong would be a great one someday. I think one that tackles retired football players and how the game has damaged their mind and body would be fascinating (although the NFL would never allow it). Tim Donaghy and the 1972 Gold Medal Mens Basketball Game would be great too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I had no idea there was a Marinovich documentary. I can't imagine it not being good unless it was made by a filmmaker with a crazy movie dad that raised his kid from the cradle to make a bunch of movies and then the kid spiraled out of control and submitted a documentary that was nothing but dutch angles, boom mics, and late-period Sting music.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The Marinovich Project was good.

I just watched June 17, 1994 and I'm blown away. That was nuts.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

The Marinovich Project was good.

I just watched June 17, 1994 and I'm blown away. That was nuts.

Yeah watched it on Friday and was just wow, that day was pure insanity. If I was just a few years older, I would've remembered the whole media frenzy over OJ since I lived pretty close to LA. It was so out of hand that looking at a tour bus with the jury going to the house where Nicole died outweighed the qualifying races for the Daytona 500. They were so stupid that they thought there was only 1 and knocked out the pixel size screen of the race not knowing there was a second race. Also funny to see some of the news anchors and news sets that I remembered when I saw the news. But man that day, all sorts of stuff happened.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Texas 6-man football could be interesting. What life is like for kids in such small farming towns. And then the total barely organized chaos of 6-man football

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I would like to see a sequel of sorts to the Marinovich story. Make it about the QB FORCE family.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Another interesting idea I just thought up are racing actors like McQueen, Paul Newman, Patrick Dempsey to name a few. Can always delve into why they wanted to do this, what made them want to do this, and their successes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Some of the early ones were ones I didn't like. The Gretzky one felt too long and I really didn't care about the Baltimore Colts band. Love the Two Escobars though

The Colts one was hosed up about how it spent the whole documentary whining about the loss of the Colts (hurr, it was really tough supporting the usfl and championship level cfl team we got!), and then, they get the Browns from Modell, and for a split second they go "oh, yeah, well..they got a new team and all, so that's okay..but we knew how they felt".

I thought the Oilers one would have been more interesting had it focused on Hockey and Gretzsy's impact on Alberta and Canada iself.

BMB5150 posted:

Yeah watched it on Friday and was just wow, that day was pure insanity. If I was just a few years older, I would've remembered the whole media frenzy over OJ since I lived pretty close to LA. It was so out of hand that looking at a tour bus with the jury going to the house where Nicole died outweighed the qualifying races for the Daytona 500. They were so stupid that they thought there was only 1 and knocked out the pixel size screen of the race not knowing there was a second race. Also funny to see some of the news anchors and news sets that I remembered when I saw the news. But man that day, all sorts of stuff happened.

Thanks to that event, that ended up justifying Reality TV. Also indirectly created the Kardashians.

gently caress Orenthal for that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

barkingclam posted:

They could talk about how when Canada got home, Leafs owner Harold Ballard bought them gold medals because he felt the Russians started it. Which they did, and they got the poo poo kicked out of them. That brawl went a long way towards establishing our rep as a physical team you don't wanna gently caress with.

Speaking of Fleury, his situation with having been molested by his coach (alonside dozens of others, including Sheldon Kennedy), would be interesting if a film hadn't already been made.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I have the first 30 on DVD and now that the others are coming out on Netflix Watch Instant, I guess that I'm going to have to marathon through them at on point and watch all of them.

soggybagel posted:

Also a friend of mine has an opportunity to possibly pitch some ideas to ESPN. What would a dream 30 for 30 be for you?

I would like to see one about Tony Hawk, maybe titled The Birth of Big Air Part II. He and Hoffman are two of people who helped bring their sports into mainstream. With them, BMX and skateboarding would still be fringe sports.

It's either that or the history of the X-Games, going back to how in all began with all the odd sports and how it got to where it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Something on Alex Zanardi would be a hell of a documentary. Similar to Richmond in that it would be a racer-in-his-prime-turned-tragic, the difference being Zanardi's having a somewhat happier ending thanks to his survival, recovery, and success in another form of racing (paralympic cycling).

I'd forgotten Zanardi's wreck happened just after 9/11. Double the sad times.

• Locked thread