Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wow, this is pretty unheard of if true:

http://www.infomongolia.com/ct/ci/4604

Kind of a misleading title, though... But guaranteed Yokozuna if he wins 13 (or the tournament with less)? Before this yusho, he had gone 8-7 in 3 of 5 tournaments, with only 11 wins in the other 2. Now they won't even require him to have a third great showing if he wins 13 or 14 but doesn't take the yusho? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
According to the article, that's just another group recommending the promotion to the Sumo Association. It's not actually the guys making the final decision. Although, I wonder if they take into consideration that it was a zensho, not just a yusho.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

seorin posted:

According to the article, that's just another group recommending the promotion to the Sumo Association. It's not actually the guys making the final decision. Although, I wonder if they take into consideration that it was a zensho, not just a yusho.
The YDC is actually pretty important; they're the only ones who make the recommendation, and the council usually goes along with them. That said, the YDC chairman was apparently just 'expressing a personal opinion', and in any case the full quote is more on the lines of "If he wins next time, he's yokozuna. If he's runner-up, then obviously we'll debate about it. Even then, 10 wins or so is no good. Personally, I'd like to see at least 13 wins, I think that would be on the borderline." So they have plenty of wriggle room to back out of it if need be.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

More of a contender for most misleading title of the year.

For a proper story: http://mainichi.jp/sports/news/20120724k0000m050076000c.html. It's in Japanese, but as far as Harumafuji is concerned, it's just what Apraxin mentioned.

What's interesting as well is that the YDC chief basically said that he thinks Hakuho is past his prime and over the hill. Furthermore, he says that him henka'ing Kisenosato was bad, and basically unbecoming. Although another YDC member mentions that Kisenosato's tachiai was no good either.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Sad news, goons. According to Kintamayama on the Sumo Forum, our favorite sideburned rikishi, Chiyotairyuu was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I guess he's lost 20 kilos and needs to develop new eating habits. I wonder what this means for him... I seem to remember hearing about another rikishi with diabetes so maybe he can find a way to maintain weight and strength while eating properly.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
nooooooo :(

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't know anything about diabetes and how it pertains to athletics, but I really wouldn't expect a KK next basho. He probably needs some time to get used to his condition and what he has to do to make things go ok. That being said, I think he'll bounce back. GANBATE HOOHIGERYUU! (That's what I'm calling him from now on...)

Edit: Ok, from what I'm hearing at Sumo Forum, diabetes is a common problem with rikishi (not really surprising upon thinking about it for a second) and that they learn to deal with it. Those with diabetes will occasionally have and off basho, though.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 26, 2012

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The unofficial-more-or-less-confirmed banzuke for Makuuchi and Juryo is now up on the Sumo Forum:
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30160

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
takanoyama stays in makuuchi!! hope he can improve on last basho but just generally happy to see him here

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Aki basho should be great, I hope. I'm also interested to see what Joukouryuu does when he's eventually in makuuchi.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

There are a whole lot of hairy chests up top now.

I hope Myogiryu owns, and that the earth opens up and swallows Kotooshu. And of course, I hope I finally get to see the next Yokozuna by way of a Harumafuji yusho.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Now that you guys have got me hooked on sumo, some questions:

* A wrestler's stage name is given to him by the stable masters, but where do the names come from? Are they traditional Japanese names, or are they words with special meaning or significance in sumo?

* What's the status of the foreign rikishi? They certainly appear to be well integrated by now. Are they pretty much accepted now as the way things work?

* Can anyone ID my favorite gyoji? He's usually second or third up, wears pink or red, and has a very distinctive voice.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Namewise, it's usually a combination of characters from particular sources. Typical ones are the place of birth (in Baruto's case his entire name is a homophone for the Japanese rendition of the Baltic Sea, the last bit of Kotooushuu's used to be written with the same characters as the word for Europe, until he changed the last one to "improve his luck"), geographical features (usually the ones of the -yama and -kawa variety), a character from their birth name or someone important to them often their stable master or another important wrestler from their stable or even their sponsor, strong (mythological) animals (typically -ryuu for dragons as in Asashoryuu and -hou for phoenixes as in Hakuhou see post below), or a character that their stable typically uses (the current Isegahama stable's predecessor Ajigawa[安治川] tended to use 安[A], as for example back when Harumafuji was called Ama). Some stables take that even further and pass down the entire name. Apart from the latter, I wouldn't call any of them traditional names.

As far as the acceptance of foreign rikishi is concerned I'm not too sure. Akebono and Musashimaru on one hand are (or atleast were) involved in some manner with the JSA post-retirement and have Japanese citizenship. Asashoryuu on the other hand isn't and hasn't. While I might be just armchairing here, but part of the issue at play here is the continued dominance of foreign wrestlers. When Akebono and Musashimaru were in their prime, Takanohana was doing even better. However, nowadays the last Japanese yusho was Tochiazuma in January 2006, the last Japanese yokozuna retired a decade ago, two-thirds of the ozeki are foreign. And apparently, the JSA has capped the number of foreign born wrestlers to one per stable in 2010 (it used to be the case that those that took the Japanese nationality weren't counted against the quota). So I'd say their presence in general in nominally tolerated.

As for the gyouji question, you might want to check this. It sounds to me that Kimura Masanao is the one you're looking for (fourth from the top).

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 3, 2012

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Just Winging It posted:

strong (mythological) animals (typically -ryuu for dragons as in Asashoryuu and -hou for phoenixes as in Hakuhou),

Not to be the "Uhhh, actually..." guy, but a hou isn't a phoenix. It's the Japanese pronunciation for the Peng: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peng_(mythology)

But people call it a phoenix a lot despite there not really being any similarities besides them both being birds, it looks like.

Sorry! I couldn't help myself!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Yeah, you're right, my bad. I was thinking of 鳳 whereas it's 鵬 that's used. Homophones :arghfist:.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 3, 2012

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I've been watching sumo for a year and absolutely love it. I'm very happy to see that Harumafuji is healthy this year for the aki basho. Last year, he had a butt infection and as such couldn't follow up on his championship in Nagoya.

This book and Sumotalk's news and daily bout recaps has been a huge help in shaping my sumo fandom. I recommend new fans to check 'em out!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kikkoman posted:

I've been watching sumo for a year and absolutely love it. I'm very happy to see that Harumafuji is healthy this year for the aki basho. Last year, he had a butt infection and as such couldn't follow up on his championship in Nagoya.

This book and Sumotalk's news and daily bout recaps has been a huge help in shaping my sumo fandom. I recommend new fans to check 'em out!

I've been meaning to get that for Kindle. You should check out this one too as it's got a lot of cool tidbits about rikishi: http://www.amazon.com/Sumo-through-Wrestlers-Eyes-ebook/dp/B006C1I5K8/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1346805867&sr=1-4

My only gripe with it is that all of the pics showed up as broken image icons...

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody have a link that lists English translations of the rikishi's names? I haven't had much luck myself with Google.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

euthy posted:

Does anybody have a link that lists English translations of the rikishi's names? I haven't had much luck myself with Google.

A lot of names don't really translate to English well, unfortunately.

At the most basic level you can find the kanji characters and put them into Google Translate or a kanji dictionary to find out. You can go to the Japanese version of the main sumo page, or go to Wikipedia to get the kanji.

Example, Hakuho - 白鵬

If you plug that into Google Translate, it'll simply say "Hakuho". If you put them in one kanji at a time, you'll instead see 白-white and 鵬-peng (a Garuda-type mythical bird). So that name is fairly simple.

Some are less so, like Kisenosato - 稀勢の里. If you plug that in, you'll get "village of rare vigor." Probably only a Japanese-fluent person would understand the true meaning of that name, but dissecting it by kanji again shows that "rare vigor" could translate to something more like "great strength".

For some wrestlers, it means nothing aside from a way to kanji-ly represent a non-Japanese word. Baruto (把瑠都), when pronounced by a Japanese person, sounds like "Balto", since he is from near the Baltic Sea. The individual kanji translate to "bunch", "takeru(?)", and "capital". No meaning whatsoever.

Then there's the east Asian trend where individual characters are passed down from generation to generation for given names, such as Nobunaga Oda's descendants all having names with the "Nobu" character - Nobutada, Nobunari, Nobuhide, Nobuhiro, etc. Stables will often do that either with a character common to their stable or to the stablemaster himself. The best example is Sadogatake beya where everyone is Koto-something - Kotooshu, Kotoshogiku, Kotomitsuki, etc. That is in honor of the original founder, Kotonishiki. Once again this typically has no meaning - i.e. Kotoshogiku (琴奨菊) - 琴-Japanese harp, 奨-recommended, 菊-chrysanthemum.

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I've run the Nihon Sumo Kyokai site through Google Translate in the past and it makes for really fun reading, but I was hoping there was someone who did an interpretive, non-literal English translation of their names. Guess I'll just have to learn to read Japanese.

How would Harumafuji be translated? I got "The day Fuji, fair" with Google.

euthy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 6, 2012

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
日: Sun, 馬: horse, 富: wealth, 士: warrior. So, yeah, translating names gets silly fast. Although the image of a samurai dude riding into the dohyo on a horse loaded with gold and made out of burning plasma is quite something and if it were to happen, interest in sumo would be sky high :colbert:.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 7, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
When I first started learning Japanese, I got a HUGE kick out of translating (real, not sumo) Japanese names as if they were Native American names. You know, Dances With Wolves and all that?

"Small Flower by the Tall Bridge"

"Strong Man from the Field" etc

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Just Winging It posted:

日: Sun, 馬: horse, 富: wealth, 士: warrior. So, yeah, translating names gets silly fast. Although the image of a samurai dude riding into the dohyo on a horse loaded with gold and made out of burning plasma is quite something and if it were to happen, interest in sumo would be sky high :colbert:.

I always thought that the names with Fuji in them were referring to the mountain, not the meaning of the individual kanji, so Harumafuji would be like Sun Horse Fuji. Kinda like a lot of rikishi have yama in their name. A mountain is a big, powerful thing and Mount Fuji is a powerful, revered thing. Chiyonofuji would be Thousand Year Fuji (a thousand years basically meaning forever), Yamamotoyama actually refers to his actual last name, Yamamoto so that would be Yamamoto Mountain (a mountain of a guy, I guess). As for the Koto names, yeah they're all Koto because of their heya, but some of them have meanings like Kotooshu's kanji used to be 琴欧州 with the last two kanji meaning "Europe", where he's from. He later changed the last kanji for luck (as rikishi often do when they're not doing well or just want to turn over a new leaf in their careers. Harumafuji used to be Ama, for instance). I think their names are just supposed to be poetic. Sun Horse Fuji or Thousand Year Fuji is pretty drat poetic if you ask me.

I've also thought about Japanese surnames in terms of their translations. Two examples that I can think of are Kurosawa which would mean Black Marsh (My favorite director is Mr. Blackmarsh) and I had a professor in college named Kuromiya (Prof. Blackshrine). Really makes sense when you think about some English or German names.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Dr.Radical posted:

Yamamotoyama actually refers to his actual last name, Yamamoto so that would be Yamamoto Mountain

Are you serious? Yamamotoyama?

His stable must have hated him.

(I know a Japanese person named Kondou Fujichika. I've always suspected that her father was upset about getting a girl.)

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
To all the Japanese speakers in the thread, where did you learn the language? I've been self teaching on and off for years now but I don't think that it works for me. I know a bunch of words and the kana memorized, but can't seem to find fluency or a good way to practice. Sorry for the derail.

Anyway I'm going to be in Tokyo in October (no basho booo) but plan on swinging by the museum and trying to get a stable visit. Any thoughts?

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I read that Peng is a mythical giant bird, so I prefer to call Hakuho the "White Roc".

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Funkysauce posted:

To all the Japanese speakers in the thread, where did you learn the language? I've been self teaching on and off for years now but I don't think that it works for me. I know a bunch of words and the kana memorized, but can't seem to find fluency or a good way to practice. Sorry for the derail.

Anyway I'm going to be in Tokyo in October (no basho booo) but plan on swinging by the museum and trying to get a stable visit. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I stopped my Japanese language education after 2nd year in college (regretful, very regretful). I went to Japan a few times which helped me pick up some things, but I'm by no means fluent or really even that good at it. The best way to gain fluency is to just live there, really.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

I'm the exact same as you, and I'm pretty much stagnated. I really don't think I could get over the next hump in Understanding Worth A drat unless I made it a serious hobby by immersing myself in anime and/or foreign language exchange, or living in Japan. I have 2 or 3 apps for learning kanji on my phone I'll kill 10 or 15 minutes with here and there, but even that is reaching the point where the kanji themselves are starting to have loving arcane meanings. And I'm still at less than 300 kanji memorized.

I know a lot of beya allow visits for observing early morning workouts. Unfortunately I didn't experience it myself. I would check out Sadogatake beya - it's big, famous, near Tokyo, and probably is used to getting a lot of requests for visits since they have 2 active Ozeki (Kotooshu, Kotoshogiku). I've seen a couple of articles written up about experiences with visits there, too. You might need someone fluent in Japanese to help you with the setting up of the visit.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I did a visit during a morning practice when I was in high school on a school trip to Japan. It's really what kind of opened my eyes to what sumo really is instead of the usual American perspective of it. I cannot for the life of me remember which heya it was. I don't even really remember our teacher telling us much about it outside of "We're going to a sumo practice! NO TALKING."

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Dr.Radical posted:

I did a visit during a morning practice when I was in high school on a school trip to Japan. It's really what kind of opened my eyes to what sumo really is instead of the usual American perspective of it. I cannot for the life of me remember which heya it was. I don't even really remember our teacher telling us much about it outside of "We're going to a sumo practice! NO TALKING."

What other etiquette needs to be observed? No talking, stay out of the way, etc? Do I get up and leave when we've had enough, do they tell me to gently caress off? I'm trying to google this but I can't find anything well written.

Not long after posting this, I came across: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/ss20010415a1.html

Most stables allow visitors to watch the early-morning training sessions free of charge, with only the general proviso that you keep the noise down. While training times vary from stable to stable, most are in full flow by about 8 a.m., when the top wrestlers start to stir into action.

Some stables have conditions: Visitors are requested to call in advance of their visit (there are days when wrestlers are not in town due to tournaments, and others when they are resting); not descend on a stable in a large group (some stables are not large); and either speak Japanese or take along someone who does.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Funkysauce posted:

What other etiquette needs to be observed? No talking, stay out of the way, etc? Do I get up and leave when we've had enough, do they tell me to gently caress off? I'm trying to google this but I can't find anything well written.

Not long after posting this, I came across: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/ss20010415a1.html

Most stables allow visitors to watch the early-morning training sessions free of charge, with only the general proviso that you keep the noise down. While training times vary from stable to stable, most are in full flow by about 8 a.m., when the top wrestlers start to stir into action.

Some stables have conditions: Visitors are requested to call in advance of their visit (there are days when wrestlers are not in town due to tournaments, and others when they are resting); not descend on a stable in a large group (some stables are not large); and either speak Japanese or take along someone who does.

I can't really remember much besides just sitting there and not talking. I don't think you'd have any danger of being in the way, though, as you'd probably just sit on the raised floor where the oyakata sits and watches. It seems like your best bet would be for someone who is fluent in Japanese to make arrangements for you and go with you so you know what's up.

Edit: Sorry for so little info. It's just one of many times in my younger life where I really wish I had just paid a little more attention to what was going on around me.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 8, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Funkysauce posted:

Three years in college for a foundation, been living in Japan since I graduated.

Study a bit every day, be consistent, don't try to cram, and find ways to use your Japanese (i.e., write a lot on lang-8 or talk to Japanese people on Skype or whatever) -- if you don't use it, it's really hard for your brain to build any kind of useful context for all of the stuff you're cramming in, which in turn retards fluency.

Also, there is a Japanese language thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438030) and a subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/learnjapanese). The former tends to be more populated by intermediate-advanced learners who just want to argue about or discuss obscure things and shoot the poo poo (not that there's anything wrong with either of those, it's just where people are at) and the latter is populated by lots and lots of beginners.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Aki basho day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3PGnmt3GKs.

Some comments: Chiyotairyuu was a bit overeager and Wakanosato happily took advantage of it. Looking at the slow-mo of Kaisei v Baruto it seems to me that Kaisei touched down before Baruto. He still got the win so I'm not sure what the judges were looking at. Either that or they felt that Baruto was shinitai. Myogiryuu tries to pull of some feeble pull sumo against Kisenosato and promptly gets shoved out. Harumafuji wins his bout with ease and Hakuhou, even though it took a while, was never in any danger.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

Aki basho day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3PGnmt3GKs.

Some comments: Looking at the slow-mo of Kaisei v Baruto it seems to me that Kaisei touched down before Baruto. He still got the win so I'm not sure what the judges were looking at. Either that or they felt that Baruto was shinitai.

I don't know what they were looking at either! Oh well I'm just glad sumo is back!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
poor baruto, lousy way to start a tournament on a terrible decision. oh well.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
That's a pretty big hit for Baruto, who tends to simply give up after a couple losses. He might end up with a very poor showing this tournament, but hopefully we can get at least one tsuridashi out of it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Myogiryu needs to learn that Kisenosato is probably the the rikishi most balanced on his feet. Can't get cute with the tactics like that.

Very strange on the non mono ii with Baruto. Real bummer since that's a huge blow this early on with the talent up top.

Loved seeing my chest-thumping boy Homasho show some fine sumo against Goeido.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Day 1 impressions: Baruto's loss was bullshit, Kaisei clearly touched the ground first even without slomo replays. Harumafuji is gonna WRECK people this tournament if he keeps the same energy that he brought today. Takanoyama should resort to dodges and throws in the first week and ensure himself a winning record instead of fighting head on like he did today. Homasho vs. Goeido was my match of the day for sure. Gagamaru is still fat.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GrwNc__Nc.

I'm not sure what Takanoyama did there at the tachiai, but the result was good. Rematch in Toyohibiki v Toyonoshima seems to be the most justified, I atleast couldn't which of them touched down first even in slowmo. Harumafuji was glorious picking up and dumping all 150+ kgs of Aran outside the ring like that. He's got a real shot for yokozuna judging by his performance so far, and I really hope he can keep going like he's going now. Baruto's win hopefully means he won't go into a slump after his lovely loss yesterday. Shohozan sure made an effort but it didn't seem to faze Hakuhou at all. Good day overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Way better stuff today! Again I don't know why there was a monoii and they STILL couldn't make the right call, but either way it was more exciting sumo today.