Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MrVynder posted:

There also seems to be a social stigma with prepaid, like it's only for broke college kids or poor people with bad credit (which is elitist and dumb).
The problem is that US prepaid offerings don't offer the same benefits as postpaid users get, for example, off-network roaming. Combine that with MVNO QoSing and the AT&T "StraightTalk can't use those towers" shenanigans, prepaid users are definitely second-class citizens.

That said, if prepaid offerings are sufficient for your needs, and you're happy with their coverage and service quality, then they're absolutely an excellent option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lydgate
Jan 17, 2004

the Magnum, you know, that's only if you want to splatter it against the wall
Country/Provider: UK, Orange

Current contract status: Finish 2 year contract in January. With cashback it worked out about £20/mo with a free HTC Desire.

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to pay roughly the above but let's say up to £26/mo, and from mobiles.co.uk it looks like there's a T-Mobile offer with cashback that works out to £20/mo with a Galaxy Nexus. So I could just ditch Orange and take that, but I would probably also say I'm leaving, and see if Orange offers to beat it.

Occasionally I see unlocked GNex phones for as low as £240, so part of me is tempted just to buy the phone and then get on a SIM only contract. From this thread there are some very good deals (might help other UK goons):
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/several-cheap-cheerful-sim-only-deals-giving-mins-txts-data-various-suppliers-1110944

It looks possible to get a deal for £8/mo. So £240 phone + £8/mo is about £50 cheaper over two years than a £20/mo contract, plus I'm only on a 12 month contract rather than 24, plus I can sell my phone and get a new one whenever I feel like it.

Features I know I want: Android

Phone choice -- while everyone seems to love the GNex I've heard that its camera isn't the greatest, and I'd like a good one. The newer generation also seem to benchmark at about 2x what the GNex does, though they cost more. I've looked at the HTC One X, Samsung G S3, or even the upcoming LG Optimus G which I'm guessing may be cheaper than the S3 to compete with Samsung.

I've briefly looked at Chinese phones -- the upcoming Xiaomi MI-2 seems to have good specs but slight issues, and I think Huawei has a phone coming out with a Snapdragon 4 processor. Has anyone else looked into these?

I've also heard rumours that the Nexus might get a refresh soon, anyone know? It might drop the price of the old GNex to the point where it's a no brainer.

Main issues are, I will definitely root and rom, I want it to run Jellybean but don't mind what it comes with as long as I can whack Cyanogen/etc on it. I'd really like a good camera and a good processor. In an ideal world, 2000+ maH battery or at least removable, NFC, mSD slot, S4 processor, but if the price is right all those are negotiable.

Planwise, the only people I call often are on Orange, so if I stay on Orange then I need hardly any because of magic numbers (it's free to call them) -- even including them on Orange I only use maybe 150 min per month at the very most. Texts I average 150 per month. For both it would probably best to have about 200-300 just to be safe. 500MB data has been fine for me since I'm normally on wifi but wouldn't mind a bit more, especially since I've started tethering my Nexus 7 when in transit.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I want to buy my wife a nexus s for her first smart phone, but I want to make sure its a model that'll update to jellybean. We purchased one for her already, but the hardware didn't match the software, the serial number was scratched out, and it wouldn't update. The whole thing just seemed shady so we sent it back.

Can anyone link me to which model nexus s I want to buy? I'll be using it on Straight Talk which offers SIM cards compatible with all the major carriers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DEO3 posted:

I want to buy my wife a nexus s for her first smart phone, but I want to make sure its a model that'll update to jellybean. We purchased one for her already, but the hardware didn't match the software, the serial number was scratched out, and it wouldn't update. The whole thing just seemed shady so we sent it back.

Can anyone link me to which model nexus s I want to buy? I'll be using it on Straight Talk which offers SIM cards compatible with all the major carriers.

For Jelly Bean, it looks like You want the GT-I9020T, which will work on the T-Mobile bands of StraightTalk. (The GT-I9020A looks like it's lagging a bit on getting updated, though it might have gotten it by now. It runs on AT&T bands.) It's looking like unlocked ones are around $300 on ebay. I guess you can probably find a used one for less.

I would really suggest getting a Galaxy Nexus direct from Google since they're only $350, will get updates beyond Jelly Bean (this is a big question mark with the Nexus S, since reports are that it seems to be running at its limits with Jelly Bean), at $350 is a killer deal, and it'll work on both AT&T and T-Mobile, so you can get a StraightTalk SIM for whichever you prefer (AT&T probably being the better choice).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

lydgate posted:

I want it to run Jellybean but don't mind what it comes with as long as I can whack Cyanogen/etc on it.
Of your list of desirables I think this is actually the most important one in terms of pruning down your device selection.

Nexus devices, specifically the Galaxy Nexus, have the best ROM support because they're of the few (and at present, only) devices supporting by the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). CyanogenMod does aim to provide support for non-Nexus devices, but that support has to be reverse engineered and reimplemented, so there's limited set of supported devices and, among them quality varies.

Now, here's the deal. There's a huge divide between 2012 devices sold in the North American market vs. Europe/International. Devices released in North America, including the "One X" and "SGS3" have focused almost exclusively on the Snapdragon S4/Krait chip (MSM 8960) you've mentioned, as it provides integrated baseband support for GSM, CDMA, and LTE networks, which is a godsend to the very hosed US cellular network situation.

In contrast, 2012 devices sold in Europe or internationally are discrete-baseband GSM/UMTS devices utilizing a variety of platform SoCs: OMAP 4460 (Galaxy Nexus, although that's 2011), Exynos 4412 (SGS3), Tegra 3 T30 (One X).

The reason why this is relevant is because, right now, CM has great support for Nexus devices (because the work is already done), and MSM 8960 ones (because they make up the entirety of the North American market so a lot of developers have them, and because Qualcomm releases a lot of open-source support code even if not part of AOSP itself).

So, in an opposite situation from the past, if you're in UK/Europe/"not North America", and you want ROM/CM support, the Galaxy Nexus is really the way to go.

The SGS3 (GT-I9300) is probably the second best device for CM support as the international Exynos maintainers are really dedicated and have bashed in pretty decent support for it. The big risk, however, is whether Exynos proprietaries can be obtained for the next version of Android when that happens.

The One X (Tegra 3) isn't supported by CM right now. I'm not sure it's even being worked on, and in general, Tegra is a very uphill battle. To oversimplify the situation, Tegra is "anti open-source", so getting those devices to work is a real bear.

So, with that in mind, if you really want to steer away from Nexus, and you're likewarm about the SGS3 (I9300), an interesting option is the Sony Xperia S. Google (JBQ) recently announced that they're targetting that device for getting experimental AOSP support, so the ROM situation is looking up for it. However, it's actually an older S3/Scorpion (MSM 8260) design which, is only on par, if not slightly worse than the OMAP the Galaxy Nexus uses.

As for the LG Optimus G, it's an interesting device. It actually uses a newer revision of the S4 chip that North American devices have been using, the APQ8064. It, however, doesn't have an integrated baseband, but is instead paired with the MDM9615. That may or may not have battery life implications, being a two-chip design instead of one. But as it's still a complete Qualcomm platform, it might be arlight, we'll have to see.

In any event, the issue with the Optimus G is that it's really new. I don't think any other device uses the APQ8064 yet, although given its heritage in the earlier S4 chip, it probably won't be too hard. Also, recent history with LG devices have been trash--like worst phone ever made trash--so it's something I'd shy away from until it actually releases, reviews come out, and see if CM's LG maintainer decides to adopt it and if it gets support.

(I'm not sure the above helped at all. :()

lydgate posted:

I've briefly looked at Chinese phones -- the upcoming Xiaomi MI-2 seems to have good specs but slight issues, and I think Huawei has a phone coming out with a Snapdragon 4 processor. Has anyone else looked into these?
Honestly, the best a Chinese phone can do is take a manufacturer's SoC/platform hardware prototype and shove it into a case unmodified. I don't trust Huawei to touch code, at all.

But even if the devices should be relatively easy to support, unless you're thinking of porting CM yourself, I'd pick up something that has established CM support.

lydgate posted:

I've also heard rumours that the Nexus might get a refresh soon, anyone know?
Nobody knows for certain, but the past two Nexus refreshes have been in Q4, and with Jelly Bean's summer release, that's about the time we'd expect K(ey Lime Pie) to be ready.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 7, 2012

lydgate
Jan 17, 2004

the Magnum, you know, that's only if you want to splatter it against the wall

ExcessBLarg! posted:

(I'm not sure the above helped at all. :()

It was actually really helpful, thanks. I didn't realise that rom support was a big issue, when I got my HTC Desire it was already like 9 months old and had a bunch of roms so I just assumed that would be the case with most popular phones. It sounds like I should get a Nexus device. I love the N7, my only real reservations about the Galaxy Nexus are that I read that the camera wasn't great and some of the other specs don't look that good compared to say the SGS3 or HTC One X, and the price isn't vastly different.

I've got until January when my contract's up, so maybe some Nexus news will drop by then. If the latest one is the best phone ever then I'll just get that. I think it's probably best to go sim-only and get a Nexus device myself.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

What would be a really exotic and rare GSM smart phone? Don't care about usability or OS or anything, just as long it's a smart phone and super rare and speshl.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for the absolute cheapest possible Android prepaid phone, without a monthly plan if possible (primary coverage/use in postcode 94105). Basically, it's for app development and testing and will get little to no actual use -- I've seen some in stores but they seem to require some $35-50 "android plan" instead of just eating a few minutes here and there.

It doesn't/isn't going to be rooted nor is there any specific version of Android, but 2.2+ preferable.

Thanks!

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I'm on Verizon and MUCH happier with the service than when I was on ATT. I and the rest of my plan will be eligible for phone upgrades in October, after the new iPhone comes out. Is there any way to avoid paying way more? This is what the verizon site shows me. Basically our rate pre-fees will go from $184 to $219 and include less data on the new plans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

modig posted:

I'm on Verizon and MUCH happier with the service than when I was on ATT. I and the rest of my plan will be eligible for phone upgrades in October, after the new iPhone comes out. Is there any way to avoid paying way more? This is what the verizon site shows me. Basically our rate pre-fees will go from $184 to $219 and include less data on the new plans.

You should post this in the Verizon thread for a better answer, but my understanding is that you don't have to change your plan with an upgrade, but you'll have to get rid of unlimited data if you have that.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Oldsmobile posted:

What would be a really exotic and rare GSM smart phone? Don't care about usability or OS or anything, just as long it's a smart phone and super rare and speshl.

Buy an HP Pre 3 and moan with the rest of us about how webOS was let down by incompetent management.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

modig posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but that shows that you picked 2GBs between 5 phones? That just seems really really low (aka you would go over). Either way, you should be able to keep your current plan with a 2GB cap per line.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but that shows that you picked 2GBs between 5 phones? That just seems really really low (aka you would go over). Either way, you should be able to keep your current plan with a 2GB cap per line.

At our current usage we usually wouldn't go over 2GB between 2 smartphones... the other phones are all dumb. Mostly I was trying to keep the cost down, and show how we would end up paying more for less under Share Everything. Somehow I got the impression we had to switch to share everything, but I'm glad to hear here and in the Verizon thread that people say that is wrong.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I'm trying to decide between a Galaxy Nexus and a Galaxy S3. I was leaning toward the Nexus until I found out that it doesn't let you use a MicroSD card, but I also hear that the S3 has a blue-ish tint to the screen which might bug the crap out of me.

How noticeable is that tint on the S3's screen, and do the better specs make a noticeable difference in performance? I'm more than likely going to be playing games on it.

Also, if I buy a Galaxy Nexus with a Verizon plan, would it be "unlocked" for other carriers, on the off-chance I want to switch? I'm guessing not, but I'm not familiar enough with phones to really be sure. If it is, is there a way to unlock it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spaz Medicine posted:

Also, if I buy a Galaxy Nexus with a Verizon plan, would it be "unlocked" for other carriers, on the off-chance I want to switch? I'm guessing not, but I'm not familiar enough with phones to really be sure. If it is, is there a way to unlock it?
Nothing you get on Verizon can be used on another US carrier. A handful can be used overseas, but the Galaxy Nexus is not one of them.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Nothing you get on Verizon can be used on another US carrier. A handful can be used overseas, but the Galaxy Nexus is not one of them.

I expected as much. Thanks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Spaz Medicine posted:

I was leaning toward the Nexus until I found out that it doesn't let you use a MicroSD card, but I also hear that the S3 has a blue-ish tint to the screen which might bug the crap out of me.
You weren't turned off by the many reports of the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus having awful LTE reception and battery life woes?

I mean, it works for some folks, but the Verizon SGS3 has a fantastically better radio design.

Spaz Medicine posted:

How noticeable is that tint on the S3's screen, and do the better specs make a noticeable difference in performance?
This is the first I've heard of the SGS3's blue tint. It doesn't look particularly blue to me. I also didn't notice anything out-of-the-ordinary in a brief side-by-side test I did, but I wasn't aware of claims of the issue at the time.

In any event, the Galaxy Nexus and SGS3 use very similar AMOLED screens so nearly all qualities (both good and bad) of AMOLED displays apply to both.

As for performance, GPU benchmarks show the SGS3's Adreno 225 coming out considerably ahead of the Galaxy Nexus's SGX 540. Which is kind of amusing, given that the Adreno 225 is a "par" 2012 GPU.

That said, I don't know how performance benchmarks translates into real world experience. I'm not into FPSes, and for the games I do play, my two-year old Epic is still quite sufficient.

Personally I'd go for the SGS3 over the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus. The latter is an older design, and has a radio that does not age well compared to newer integrated LTE offerings. If you have to have a Nexus device, either jump to a GSM carrier where you can get the $350 GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus, or wait until the next Nexus refresh. Otherwise the Verizon SGS3 is currently unlockable with a leaked bootloader and the CM10 experience on it is pretty darn good, if you can't tolerate stock.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Thanks a lot. :) I actually haven't heard about any of the battery life and reception woes because apparently I had only read reviews for the regular Nexus, so I'm really happy you told me about that. I sort of want to wait and see what the new Nexus is all about, but screw it, I'm going to jump for an S3.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Spaz Medicine posted:

Thanks a lot. :) I actually haven't heard about any of the battery life and reception woes because apparently I had only read reviews for the regular Nexus, so I'm really happy you told me about that. I sort of want to wait and see what the new Nexus is all about, but screw it, I'm going to jump for an S3.

Good choice.

I just got a chance to use an S3 for a few days. It's every bit as good as my GNex except for the subjectively ugly Touchwiz (and of course the benefits of the Nexus with regards to Android updates). Though, even with a bit of FPS gaming, I couldn't really tell that it was any faster than the GNex either.

Basically, the S3 is great as long as you know what you're getting in to with regards to future software updates.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Good choice.

I just got a chance to use an S3 for a few days. It's every bit as good as my GNex except for the subjectively ugly Touchwiz (and of course the benefits of the Nexus with regards to Android updates). Though, even with a bit of FPS gaming, I couldn't really tell that it was any faster than the GNex either.

Basically, the S3 is great as long as you know what you're getting in to with regards to future software updates.

Yeah the update thing is all that is really giving me any pause, but since the Nexus sucks on Verizon there isn't much I can do about that situation. I guess I could wait until the new Nexus comes out, but even then there isn't a guarantee that it'll be much better. Plus, you know, instant gratification and all that.

Can you turn off that Touchwiz stuff?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Spaz Medicine posted:

I guess I could wait until the new Nexus comes out, but even then there isn't a guarantee that it'll be much better.
The SGS3 should hold enough resale value that you could make the jump when it comes out without being out too much money. Especially considering how many Verizon folks with unlimited data plans are interested in purchasing good-condition used devices since they can't play the subsidy game anymore.

Spaz Medicine posted:

Can you turn off that Touchwiz stuff?
Honestly I find modern TouchWiz to be relatively inoffensive, and the parts that some might consider a bit kooky can be replaced. But for the most part it really does add some additional utility to the Android experience, albeit it, somewhat at the cost of fast updates (although honestly, the SGS3 wouldn't be running JB yet even without TouchWiz). That said, there's two options here.

First, much of TouchWiz (Launcher, Dialer, Messenger, etc.) can be replaced with third-party stuff on Google Play, e.g., Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher.

Alternatively you can install CM10 on the device, which is almost just like the Nexus experience. Installing CM10 isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it's doable if you're reasonably competent at following directions. Personally I'd stick with TouchWiz while you're in your 14 day (or whatever) and make sure that the device works to your satisfaction. If you have any questions about CM10, feel free to ask in the Rooted thread.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Alright, thanks for all the help. :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly I find modern TouchWiz to be relatively inoffensive, and the parts that some might consider a bit kooky can be replaced. But for the most part it really does add some additional utility to the Android experience

Yeah, I don't want to imply that I barf when I see TW, its just that if I had my druthers I'd prefer the looks of stock with a few features picked out of TW.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spaz Medicine posted:

To add to everyone else saying it, good decision. I use both, and the S3 is simply the better phone. Even after I got an extended battery for the nexus.

Robot_Z
Jun 30, 2011

All this time I
thought it was normal
Clever Betty
Country/Provider: USA / Verizon Wireless
Contract free as of 9/9/12.

Budget: I would like to spend $50/month and up to $100 on a new phone though I would not mind getting a phone for free that has the features I'm looking for.

Features I know I want include Internet browsing, GPS (not sure if this is usually done through apps or what), e-mail syncing with Gmail, PDF viewing and a decent camera. (Really I just need to be able to take better pictures of my cat) I ended up with a Kin Twom last time I "upgraded" and my life concerning cell phone use has been poo poo since then.

Note: I don't have a clue what plans usually end up costing monthly with Verizon and Voice/Data so if $50/month is ridiculously low just let me know I need a reality check. My brother and his fiance both have a Samsung Galaxy with T-Mobile and spend $50/month per person on a family plan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Robot_Z posted:

Country/Provider: USA / Verizon Wireless
Contract free as of 9/9/12.

Budget: I would like to spend $50/month and up to $100 on a new phone though I would not mind getting a phone for free that has the features I'm looking for.

Features I know I want include Internet browsing, GPS (not sure if this is usually done through apps or what), e-mail syncing with Gmail, PDF viewing and a decent camera. (Really I just need to be able to take better pictures of my cat) I ended up with a Kin Twom last time I "upgraded" and my life concerning cell phone use has been poo poo since then.

Note: I don't have a clue what plans usually end up costing monthly with Verizon and Voice/Data so if $50/month is ridiculously low just let me know I need a reality check. My brother and his fiance both have a Samsung Galaxy with T-Mobile and spend $50/month per person on a family plan.
You won't get a $50/month plan on Verizon if you plan on having data, and that's even assuming you can just add data to whatever plan you currently have, which I'm not entirely sure about.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a reasonable strategy, except it's possible that Samsung has provided AT&T with a IMEI dump of their unlocked devices, and thus, it would be detected as a smartphone. I don't know if that is actually the case, perhaps some Googling around would indicate that. I know hotsauce's international Note was initially (mis)detected as a tablet.

Thanks again for your advice on this - I decided I liked the SG3 sufficiently after playing with a friend's phone for a bit, so I got a white unlocked GT-i9300 from a vendor called Negri Electronics, trimmed my SIM card (slightly nervewracking) and threw it into the phone last weekend.

Fired it up, picked the cingular WAP, and had H+ speeds right off the bat. So far, so good. AT&T still shows a generic grey flip phone on my account and my data plan hasn't changed.

(There seems to be an entire strategy of buying $30 "dumb" smartphones like my Nokia E71, getting them activated with ATT on the $10 dumb data unlimited plan since they don't know what phone it is but can't find it among their smartphones, which results in ATT thinking it's a generic grey flip phone, and then switching the SIM to a proper smartphone. I did this by accident, basically.)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1696025

I guess we'll see if they ever detect it.

Loving the phone so far, it's light years ahead of Nokia's last offering of Symbian (duh.)

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
I'm on Sprint right now and am due for an upgrade/contract renewal, I have the EPRP Unlimited Data plan. Despite living pretty close to NYC (Northern NJ) my service is pretty spotty/I miss a lot of calls with having it register or give me the 'missed call' notification (currently have an Evo 4g that's pretty beat up). The Iphone 4S for $150 was looking pretty appealing, but I'm afraid that I'll have more of the same service issues... should I jump to an LTE device if my concern is voice/reception? I know Sprint is still rolling out LTE but was under the impression that it would most likely be better service?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Valithan posted:

I'm on Sprint right now and am due for an upgrade/contract renewal,
Sprint is rolling out LTE but at a glacially slow pace. That's not an immediate fix for your problem though as initial LTE deployments are only providing data, not voice service.

That said, the voice issues may resolve themselves as a combined effect of the various network improvements that Sprint is planning to make, which make additional spectrum available for voice service, specifically the kind that does a better job at building penetration. But I don't believe the iPhone 4S supports any of that, although there's a good chance the upcoming model will.

To be honest, if you want an iPhone 4S, AT&T is by far the best carrier to go with. Personally I'd take a good look at the upcoming iPhone, when it's announced later today, as folks are anticipating it to be a pretty significant jump over the current model especially with regard to radio technology (edit: it is!). And if the price difference ends up being only $50 more than what you're willing to spend now, it's almost certainly worth it.

Anyways, should you decide to "try" sticking with Sprint and upgrade, pay very close attention to the 14 day (which is one day shy of two weeks) return period. If a new device fixes your problems, great! But if you find that the service quality hasn't really improved, you can return the phone within 14 days and cancel the service with only a $35 restocking fee penalty (if that's applicable to EPRP, I forget).

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 12, 2012

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

My Thunderbolt fell and the screen shattered. I have an upgrade on October 22. Is there anything of note coming between now and then that is markedly better than the SGSIII? I have no interest in the iPhone, so scratch that off the list.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Captain Shortbus posted:

Is there anything of note coming between now and then that is markedly better than the SGSIII?
I'm not sure if an exact release date has been announced, but the Razr HD and Razr HD Maxx may be out by then. The Galaxy Note 2 hasn't been announced yet either, but it looks like it'll be heading to Verizon, although quite possibly after October.

Spec-wise I wouldn't say that any of those devices are any better than the SGS3, let alone "markedly better". But you might want to take a look at them anyways to get a feel for how they're different.

In general folks are expecting a Nexus refresh by the end of the year, which will likely include Verizon. But again, no announcement and no timetable.

Personally I think the SGS3 is a great device and it will have quite a bit of longevity. But should something come out shortly afterwards that you think you'd prefer, I imagine the SGS3 will retain enough resale among the grandfathered unlimited data buying crowd that you could probably flip it and get a device of your choosing without being out too much money.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Personally I think the SGS3 is a great device and it will have quite a bit of longevity. But should something come out shortly afterwards that you think you'd prefer, I imagine the SGS3 will retain enough resale among the grandfathered unlimited data buying crowd that you could probably flip it and get a device of your choosing without being out too much money.

Yeah, this is the key thing. Unless you hate selling things, you can usually really minimize your losses by just flipping the phone if something comes out soon that you like more.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
With the iPhone 5 I'm finally switching away from my grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan. Which means my options are Verizon or Sprint. For the past year and a half, I've never used more than 1GB of data a month on my AT&T plan, but with LTE and tethering, I'm sure that'll go up. Let's say 4GB to have a nice safety margin.

Is there any reason Sprint might be a better choice than Verizon here? I plan to mostly be in San Diego and surrounding areas, but I'll want to get the international SIM unlock (I believe both providers will do that) for when I travel abroad. LTE coverage is important too. I believe tethering is currently no additional charge on new Verizon plans, but $20 extra on new Sprint plans, right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

inklesspen posted:

Is there any reason Sprint might be a better choice than Verizon here?
No. Sprint's 3G network has massive oversubscription problems right now and virtually non-existent LTE coverage. They could end up being a great choice in 2-3 years, but for the most part, now is not the right time.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I feel like this is a dumb question, but would an SGS3 still have decent resell value even if it has a Verizon plan, since it can only be used with Verizon plans? Or am I misunderstanding something about how this stuff works?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spaz Medicine posted:

I feel like this is a dumb question, but would an SGS3 still have decent resell value even if it has a Verizon plan, since it can only be used with Verizon plans? Or am I misunderstanding something about how this stuff works?
Verizon resale values should start holding better now that people want to buy second-hand phones to maintain their unlimited plans. The SGS3 is a particularly popular phone, so that should help more.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So I just pulled the trigger on the Amazon deal for the SG3 16gb version. I heard that Verizon will put a lock on 16gb models trying to upgrade to a 32 or 64gb version using a 3rd party micro sd? I might have read it earlier in this thread.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I have one more dumb question about the S3. When I was looking at reviews and stuff, I had the impression that it was running a quad core CPU. Turns out, the NA version I will get has a dual core. How big a difference does that make? Is it still as fast as other versions? Is it a weird situation like with AMD/Intel where Intel's dual core I3s are on par with AMD's quad cores? Is it slower but it doesn't even matter because it's still a good rear end phone?

I should just buy it before I go crazy thinking about all this.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
So after the disappointing iPhone 5 announcement, I have decided to try out an Android device. Plan is to get iPhone 5 under contract and flip new in box for whatever phone I actually want.

Plan: AT&T family plan, unlimited data
Budget: Under $500 off contract, or under $200 with AT&T upgrade

Definitely want an Android device. Heard good things about SGS3 and the Google Galaxy Nexus but I don't know the advantages/disadvantages to each. Also is the HTC One X any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Spaz Medicine posted:

I have one more dumb question about the S3. When I was looking at reviews and stuff, I had the impression that it was running a quad core CPU. Turns out, the NA version I will get has a dual core. How big a difference does that make? Is it still as fast as other versions? Is it a weird situation like with AMD/Intel where Intel's dual core I3s are on par with AMD's quad cores? Is it slower but it doesn't even matter because it's still a good rear end phone?

I should just buy it before I go crazy thinking about all this.

Not much, the Snapdragon S4 used in the North American variants is one of the best-performing ARM system-on-chip packages available today. The Exynos 4412 used in the international one might beat it out for certain applications, but what do you do with your phone that needs four processor cores anyway? Android has to scale down to a 1GHz single-core CPU with 512MB of RAM and perform acceptably anyway. Beyond a certain point you can't throw hardware at a problem to solve it.